Reject (mxm)

By isabella_kai

Paranormal Romance (Werewolf) You know that movie Jerry Maguire? It's about this sports agent who got fired f... More

Quick Note
Chapter One: Ruari
Chapter Two: Ruari
Chapter Three: Ciaran
Chapter Four: Ruari
Chapter Five: Ciaran
Chapter Six: Ruari
Chapter Seven: Ciaran
Chapter Eight: Ciaran
Chapter Nine: Ruari
Chapter Ten: Ciaran
Chapter Eleven: Ruari
Chapter Twelve: Ciaran
Chapter Thirteen: Ruari
Chapter Fourteen: Ciaran
Chapter Fifteen: Ruari
Chapter Sixteen: Ciaran
Chapter Seventeen: Ruari
Chapter Eighteen: Ruari
Chapter Nineteen: Ciaran
Chapter Twenty: Ciaran
Chapter Twenty-One: Ruari
Chapter Twenty-Two: Ruari
Chapter Twenty-Three: Ciaran
Chapter Twenty-Four: Ruari
Chapter Twenty-Five: Ciaran
Chapter Twenty-Six: Ruari
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Ruari
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Ciaran
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Ciaran
Chapter Thirty: Ruari
Chapter Thirty-One: Ciaran
Chapter Thirty-Two: Ruari
Chapter Thirty-Three: Ruari
Chapter Thirty-Four: Ciaran
Chapter Thirty-Five: Ruari
Chapter Thirty-Six: Ciaran
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Ruari
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Ciaran
Chapter Forty: Ruari
Chapter Forty-One: Ciaran
Chapter Forty-Two: Ciaran
Chapter Forty-Three: Ruari
Chapter Forty-Four: Ruari
Chapter Forty-Five: Ciaran
EPILOGUE
New Story: ReBOUND
Side Story: Marked (Kevan x Lorcan)

Chapter Thirty-Nine: Ruari

68K 3.2K 308
By isabella_kai

Good to see you too darling? One week in captivity and that's all I get?

I was half out of my mind when I led the advance on this godforsaken place, worried that I might not make it in time to find and save his sorry ass and the first thing he says to me is, "Good to see you too darling," like he'd done nothing wrong or nothing was out of order. Like he didn't put himself in perilous danger because of stupid notions like self-sacrifice!

I don't know what I was expecting to hear but it certainly wasn't that. Damn him! I deserve more than just 'Good to see you too darling' for all agony and misery I had to deal with this past week.

I wanted to knock some sense into that head of his. Maybe if I beat him hard enough he'd start to see reason. And maybe I could extract a promise from him never to do this kind of shit ever again.

"Do you think this is a game?" I snarled nudging him over with my nose checking his injuries. He's too weak and I could smell silver mixed in his blood. These bastards have been poisoning him. Fuck!

A quick once over told me he's still nursing the injuries he sustained from the raid. The bite in his arm is still bleeding. It looks fresh and self-inflicted. Perhaps Ciaran bit and bled himself to counteract the poison from the silver they've injected on him.

I crouched lower, taking care not to hurt him any more than necessary, and slowly slide him on my back. Ciaran made it easier by lifting his arms and wrapping them around my neck.

 "I'm sorry Ruari..." He whispered tiredly.

Ciaran's voice sounded more slurred and his arms grew lax around my neck. I could feel his faint heartbeat drumming at an unnaturally slow pace within his chest. I know it took his everything but he moved his head to bury his face on the fur covering the back of my neck, inhaling deeply like he's trying to store the memory of my scent and the feel of my body against his deep in the recesses of his mind.

His breathing was uneven and he's losing consciousness. I need to get him out of here and have him treated. Silver poisoning is not something to be taken lightly. He could just slip into a deep sleep and stay unconscious until he wastes away without ever waking. Just thinking about that possibility makes me shudder and tear up.

I can't... I won't be able to forgive him if he leaves me. I'd gladly follow soon after and maybe tear his balls off in the afterlife but I'd rather we both stay here, alive, and enjoy living together for years to come.

"Hold on to me..." I said before I lunged forward. I don't know if he heard me but it doesn't matter. I maneuvered left and right to avoid falling bodies blocking my way towards the exit.

"Kevan!" I called to my brother through our mind link. "I've got Ciaran, order everyone to pull back and regroup!" At the same time I howled to signal those near me about the development in the situation.

After a few minutes of struggle and evading fights, I made it out of the damned house. It appears more like a sanitarium than a home. I learned from Kevan that this was an old property of the crown. It was used as a safe house for the royal family during the dark times when the supernatural, like werewolves, was hunted down by humans in order to extinguish the specie or mainly for sport.

I still can't believe what Kevan told to me, that the alpha king, Meinor, was the mastermind of the raids. He said the royals have been hiding a lot of skeletons behind the palace's high walls and the truth about the raiders is just a part of it.

If I stop to think about it properly, I guess that would explain why the royals never lifted a finger to help the survivors of the packs that have been raided and why the raiders were never discovered until now.

Kevan told me there were whispers, of secret auctions and about Meinor's bizarre taste for the exotic. At first he thought it was nothing harmful so he never paid much attention to the gossip. But when he accidentally discovered the hidden operation, founded by Meinor himself, to collect rare breeds of the supernatural he thought it was high time to try and step up, to put an end to his psychotic behavior.

He admitted that finding out I was alive was a happy coincidence. He knew he wouldn't be able to take on Meinor alone. And he needed my help to achieve his goals.

At first he was reluctant to admit it but Kevan looked me in the eye and told me honestly that he thought of using me against Meinor. I know it seems foolish but from that point on I think I started to admire my brother.

Kevan is not a coward or liar. He's just misguided.

Being surrounded with people, who teaches you how to use others, regardless of relation, could cloud your judgment. When your first lesson had always been how to strike first before they could strike you then you will learn nothing but how to hurt and betray people until you become smarter and learn otherwise.

I understand that there was a time when I was nothing but a means to an end for him. That regardless of his amicable feelings towards me as his twin my brother, for a time, he thought of using that connection to pit me against Meinor. That he intended to use my strength to counteract the devil we have the misfortune to call our half brother.

I think that particular time of his life where he lacked moral ground bothered him more than it did me. I honestly understand where he's coming from. If he'd told me this on an entirely different setting I would have scoffed and condemn him for it but I've seen what the raiders could do. I know the exact number of graves we had to dig and the bodies we had to bury.

Kevan doesn't show it but he's more sensitive and vulnerable than I am. In the short time that I've known him I realized that he cares too deeply, too fast. He's too free with his affection that it scares me sometimes. It's like he doesn't have filters on his emotions.

Oh sure he covers it well with a lot of bullshit and sarcastic words but if you look closely and listen carefully every remark or comment has a hidden message underneath all that false bravado. It's a bit funny how he can't seem to be honest and forthcoming with his real feelings. He has to take the long way around on everything before he figures out it would have been easier for him and everyone if he'd been open in the first place.

We were making our way towards the tree line and to safety when someone boomed, "HALT!"

From the shiver of anticipation running down my spine, I didn't have to turn to know who it was that commanded everyone to pause.

It was like a scene from those war movies. When the dust settled the forces were evenly divided to our side and theirs.

I stood in the middle of my pack with Ciaran on my back and Lorcan and Kevan flanking my sides. We could stand and fight or we could turn tail and run. Everyone was restless and eager to fight. I know they wouldn't want to run but fighting would take time. I have no doubt in my mind that we would emerge victorious but we don't have much time left. I could feel Ciaran slowly slipping away from my grasp and if we wait more he could be lost to me, to us for good.

I eyed my half-brother critically for the first time. Like me he's standing in the middle of his forces, ready for to defend or attack, waiting for next move to counter.

Meinor stands a head taller than I am and in every respect he looks stronger. But when I look at him I don't see an alpha king. All I could see is a pathetic man who hides behind a name and a crown to get what he wants. Even his scent smells that of a coward because only a coward would dare to collect people's lives.

I look at him and I see nothing but countless bodies, corpses strung around his dark soul and trailing behind his wake. I see teary faces of the survivors, of orphans who'd grow up without knowing their family. I don't know what he is but the man standing before me is certainly not the alpha king.

I looked around the people standing behind me, people who've put their trust and faith in me. Who followed me here on a selfish fancy. I know I am being headstrong but I also know I'm going to do the right thing.

"Take Ciaran," I told Kevan through our mind link.

"What?" He looked sideways and when my eyes met his he knew what I decided to do. He took Ciaran on his back without further protest and gently nudged his nose on my side, "You promised to spend more time with me, help me get to know this bastard you call your mate and your so called pack. Don't make me remember you as nothing but a liar..."

I nudged him with my own nose and sneered. "You're such a worrywart."

"Ruari I..." I shook my head at him and decidedly stepped away. Whatever it is that he needs to tell would have to wait.

I moved away from the pack and growls immediately erupted to caution me to step back. Sorell and Harkin immediately moved forward to block my path but I growled and ordered them to back down. I shifted to my human form as I moved forward.

I stood tall and proud in the middle of the two opposing forces, with all eyes pinned on me.

"There's no need for more bloodshed brother," I said addressing Meinor.

"Are you going to surrender?" He asked in an arrogant tone that I know I'd loathe for the rest of my life.

"No," I declared. "I'm going to challenge you."

Murmurs erupted from behind Meinor and howls echoed from my pack.

This is how our ancestors fought and settled disputes in the olden times to avoid the unnecessary spill of precious werewolf blood. We're not just a pack of mindless, wild dogs. We are manbeasts. We are werewolves! We're from a noble breed of supernatural warriors that protect and defend our own.

I could feel the spirits as they weave their power around me. So this is how our ancestors felt before a chosen battle.

I could feel my blood thickening at the beat of the fight. Curiously, my heart and mind feels calm. All of my senses are heightened to its fullest capacity; all are centered and locked on the opponent before me. I could feel adrenaline rushing through my veins giving me immense power and strength, a sense of freedom I've never felt before. I've never been so in tune with my body in all my life. I could taste the excitement in my tongue and for the first time since Ciaran was held captive I could feel Rothe stirring and reconnecting with me.

Done sulking? I teased as I felt his full presence.

Ruari, I'm sorry I... Rothe started but I immediately cut him off.

I don't want him to ever think that protecting himself and protecting me is ever wrong. He had to leave me, I understand. It was the worst time for both of us and even if he'd stayed, we would have only drove each other insane.

It doesn't matter, I said gently. You're here now.

I closed my eyes savoring the elevating feel of reconnecting with my wolf. I don't know why but we feel different. It's like the presence I had before but unlike then I am not confused now. I realized what this means and I'm no longer afraid of it. There're only two choices. It's either I accept this new turn or I run away from it. Truthfully, there is no choice at all. I don't know why I hesitated in the first place.

I stepped forward and faced Meinor once again.

"I, Ruari Lyall, first born son of the alpha king Lavon and his true mate Alessandra challenge you, Meinor Ulfric, to a single combat." I declared meeting his leveled gaze. "I issue this challenge to determine who between us is the rightful bearer of the crown of wolves and who is worthy to sit on the throne of the alpha king."

Piercing howls filled the air. A challenge has been issued. There's no going back and since this is my natural right as a firstborn son of the former alpha king, like Meinor, he has no choice but to accept my challenge.

"You insolent pup!" Meinor screamed. "I'll kill you! I'll kill you all!"

I don't know why I find his words funny but I do. He's threatening to do me bodily harm and ending the lives of my people. But now he just looked like a little kid throwing a tantrum because things didn't turn out the way he wanted them to.

"You can try," I smirked evilly tilting my head to one side.

Meinor looked around him to see if he could find a loophole and avoid meeting me in combat. But all his guards have remained placid. Silently observing what would happen next. Some of them are rogues and some are imperial guards. But all of them werewolves and the upcoming battle would determine everyone's fate.

Meinor breathed in harshly, his nose flaring as he bared his teeth. He dropped his coat on the ground and removed his fine silk shirt. He came down the steps slowly and moved forward to meet me in the middle of the clearing.

"I accept your challenge," he spat sarcastically. "Brother."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7M 96.2K 61
THEY REJECTED ME and I BECAME SACRED. If only that night didn't come, maybe my family will love me again, maybe I won't see hate and disgust in my p...
19.5K 1.1K 76
Part 1: Today was supposed to be my fairytale day. My perfect wedding day. I made my way to David, he took my hand in his, walking us closer to the l...
25.6K 837 84
I was just a normal girl, despite not being human. Growing up my life was shitty, but still I was glad to be alive despite how dead I felt inside. Th...
192K 4.6K 33
"You rejected me!! Not the other way around!!" I yelled at him, tears streaming down my face. "I know." He says, he head hangs low. "And I'm sorry...