Sincerely, Charli Day

By universal_boredom

❝Our future is now up to the one thing I've been forced to believe doesn't exist.❞ Charli Briar Day is who yo... More

Welcome :)
Characters + Aesthetics
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 *new*
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Announcement: Please Read!
Announcement: Updates :)

Chapter 5

2.9K 197 297
By universal_boredom

*A/N: hi...for sure one of my fav chapters! Hope you enjoy :)*

Game days, especially the first home game of the year, at Oak Grove are a big deal. Like eighty percent of the school population decks out in some sort of football and spirit gear. Stressful and amazing all in one package.

And that's saying a lot.

At other schools, football players give their jerseys to an assigned cheerleader for them to wear over their uniforms throughout the school day. But at our school, the football players get to choose who they give their jersey to. It's kind of cool. 

Until fights break out. Haisley thinks they're her annual entertainment program. 

Zayden gave me his jersey sophomore year when we became close, and it has been a tradition ever since. However, it's year three and the boy still doesn't know how to wash the jersey beforehand, leaving it to me. 

I stand in my bathroom, streaking light blue face paint under my eyes. No, I'm not painting my whole face because I'm not Vincent Van Gogh; just a line and a couple of dots here and there. Haisley and I plan to hand print each other with paint on our legs and arms later.

I curl my hair before pulling it into a high ponytail. Deciding on a pair of high waisted shorts and AF1s, I change quickly. Zayden's jersey practically swallows half of me, but in a surprisingly comfortable way.

 I made sure to wash it twice last night.

I ignore the forming shadows under my eyes. My trouble with sleep seems never ending, always landing me wide awake at the worst hours.

Waking up this morning to make a fresh cup of coffee, and to check up on Mom, was enough motivation to wave away the two hours of sleep I got. Leo, on the other hand, was out of the house fast this morning, catching a ride with our neighbors.

Just as I pick up my backpack, Haisley bursts into my room with an Ego waffle in hand. With her hair in pigtails, Ryder's jersey, and beaming smile, she's practically glowing. I laugh as she dances around my room.

"It's game day." She screams in excitement, jumping on my bed. 

I clamp my hands over my ears, trying to save whatever hearing I have left. "We're not even going to the game tonight, Hales."

She pops my cheek. "Don't ruin the spirit, Char. It's game day." 

Slinging my bag onto my shoulder, I shove her out of my bedroom. "I am aware of what day it is."

When we reach the front door, she stops abruptly, causing me to run into her back. Turning around, she faces me with a guilty, yet hopeful, expression. She wants something.

"I was actually wondering..." She trails off, gnawing on her lip.

Concern washes over me instinctively. "What is it?"

"Would it be okay if we cancelled girls night? I know we've been planning it for a long time, but the game...and Ryder?"

I relax. "What happened to hoes before bros?" I tease, trying not to appear disappointed.

She snickers, "I'm pretty sure the saying goes sisters before misters."

"Whatever." I wave her off. "You're a hoe anyways."

"Yeah, like you aren't. But we're classy; we actually cost a pretty penny and we're worth a million." She winks.

I sigh reluctantly. "Yeah, it's okay. We can reschedule for next week?"

She jumps in elation, clapping her hands. I chuckle as her pigtails sway, catching in her lipgloss. She curses as she pulls the hair away from her face.

"Karma." I declare like an evil five year old. 

"Karma doesn't know who she is if she's playing games with me." Haisley counters confidently, dusting off her shoulders. She pulls sunglasses out of her back pocket, placing them on the top of her head. 

Smiling coyly, I get into her car. "She wouldn't even know what hit her."

Before hitting the gas pedal, Haisley gives me a high five in agreement. She slides the sunglasses on even though the morning sun is barely out.

What a drama queen. 

"Today we slay. Your AF1s were made for walking all over Kinsley's skinny ass." Haisley smirks, grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

I shake my head in amusement, closing my eyes. "She wouldn't know what hit her."

❂  ❂  ❂

When we get to school, students swarm all over the place.

Banners hang off of every wall, inviting us to the game tonight. They went as far as teal-blue, white, and black–our school colors–streamers and balloons dangling and floating off of the stairwell railings and lockers.

Cheerleaders stationed as morning greeters wave their pompoms, cheering. I wonder if they ever get tired of smiling so big. There was a time I debated joining the cheer team, but some particular people made my final decision a no.

Boohoo.

Haisley and I make a beeline to our lockers, getting shoved by multiple groups. By the time we reach our destination, I'm slightly flustered. I can't remember the last time a game day was this hectic. Either I'm loosing my memory real fast, or our school spirit magically improved.

I guess you should start calling me Dory. 

Loud hollers from the other end of the hall catch my attention. I turn in time to see Ryder and Zayden running down the hallway, giving passing students high fives. Some are just as pumped while others look like they want to hide.

The latter would be smart.

I smile as they run up to us, Ryder picking up Haisley and spinning her around. She giggles, hitting him on the back to set her down.

"It's game day, ladies." Zayden and Ryder cry in unison. They look like children excited to go into a candy shop. 

Pulling my camera out of my bag, I motion for them to pose together. I quickly take a couple of shots, a wide smile forming on my face.

"Char, take a picture with us." Haisley begs, shaking my arm.

I shake my head, laughing. "No, it's okay."

"Of course it's not okay." Haisley plucks the camera out of my hands, setting the self timer. She sets the camera carefully on a stack of textbooks I have in my locker.

She pulls me back to stand with the three of them. "Ready?"

Zayden puts his arm around my waist as I rest my head on Haisley's shoulder. I use a hand to point at the front bold jersey number. After the camera takes the shot, Haisley bounces on the balls of her feet, checking the picture.

She lets out a squeal of happiness, turning the camera to show the boys and I the result. I'm stunned by how happy I look. Zayden's hand is firmly planted on my waist, his head pressed against mine as he bends down to stay in frame. Ryder's arm is around Haisley, pecking her cheek.

It's a perfect photo.

I wrap an arm around Haisley, squeezing her tightly before I let go. "Thanks, Hales."

"You're welcome." Her grin not fading one bit.

Zayden slings an arm around my shoulders, tugging on my ponytail. I glare up at him, but he only gives me an innocent smile.

"So tell me Char, how long did you stay up last night? The ghost town underneath your eyes are speaking levels for your sleep deprived soul." He pokes.

I continue to glare. "I don't appreciate being called out like that."

I elbow him in the ribs, smiling when he grunts slightly. Football player my ass.

"Alright, I see how it is." He smirks, a mischievous gleam in his eyes. I shake my head backing away, already knowing where this is going to go.

"Don't you dare, Zayden Riley." I scream, running around Haisley to hide behind Ryder. He pretends to shield me, only to push me in front of him.

"Traitor." I yell, as Zayden begins tickling my sides. I laugh so hard that tears begin to leak from my eyes, and my abdomen starts to cramp.

"You still haven't given me an answer." Zayden says, practically wrestling me as I squirm.

"Can't breathe." I yelp, my mouth hurting from grinning. "Stop."

I'd shove him off, but my sides hurt too much from giggling. Without warning, Haisley jumps onto Zayden's back, pulling him away from me. Ryder lets out a laugh, pulling out his phone to videotape the disaster we are.

All in the middle of the hallway.

How has the bell not rung yet? 

I slump slightly against the lockers, grinning as Zayden hooks his arms beneath Haisley's legs, taking off with her on his back. She screams at him, with anger or laughter I'm not sure, as he runs around the hall in circles. 

Half of the students look at us like we're maniacs, while the other half is too busy buzzing with excitement over tonight.

Marcheline and Emery approach us slowly, eyeing a crying Haisley and an out of breath Zayden. They glance at each other with bewildered looks before directing them towards us.

"What." Emery raises a brow. 

"Just." Marcheline continues.

"Happened." They finish in unison. I know, creepy. 

I shake my head, wiping my sweaty palms against my shorts. "I don't think I can even describe the chaos."

Marcheline shakes her head. "Save your breath, je ne veux pas savoir."

Marcheline is a fourth French, a fourth African American, and half Caucasian. She gets the first two from her mother, and the half from her and Emery's father. It's safe to say she's beautiful inside and out.

And she can speak speedy, fluent French. 

Zayden and Ryder give her mindless looks, clearly not understanding the basic French statement.

Marcheline throws her hands in the air in disbelief. "I said I do not want to know. Seriously, how have you guys passed three years of French. Madame Louis is going to grill your asses."

They shrug, giving each other a pat on the back. "We got our ways."

Haisley flicks Ryder on the head. "You better not have any ways, Mister."

Ryder holds his hands up in surrender. "You caught me. I only have one way."

He leans down to kiss her, a collective 'ew' coming from Marcheline, Emery, and I. Haisley smiles happily, beaming again. I can't help but bite my lip and smile back.

Maybe's he's not so vanilla like she said. 

"Oh shut up." She tells us, pecking Ryder on the cheek. "By the way, looks like Charli and I will be at the game tonight."

Emery shakes her pom poms, her abnormally large bow bouncing on her head. "Oh, really ?"

Zayden glances at me for confirmation, a hopeful look locked into place. I nod, plugging my ears knowing Emery.

Emery squeals, shaking me as she jumps up and down. Sometimes she reminds me of a five year old, but I can't help but go along with her. "Okay Ems, I think you just successfully turned me into a slushy."

She lets go of me, clearly not sorry. Just as I start to relax, Zayden tackles me. I let out an 'oomph' as he crashes into me. He picks me up, spinning me around in a circle.

"Put me down, Zayden Riley." I scream. How many times is this going to happen today?

"I knew I could count on my jersey girl." He hoots, not setting me down. 

"Your jersey girl is about to beat your ass if you don't put me down." I threaten, starting to get dizzy. I squeeze my eyes shut, but not before I catch us almost crashing into a group of girls.

One of them yelps, jumping back as the others glare. I shoot her an apologetic look as Zayden drops me.

"You're going to kill someone one day." I disapprove, smacking his arm. He rolls his eyes, tapping my nose.

"Are you guys done?" Haisley interrupts, smirking slightly as she holds my camera. I snatch it away from her, hanging it back around my neck.

"And when did I say you can steal my camera?" I accuse. She gives me an innocent look, faking curiosity.

"Oh whatever do you mean?"

"Yeah, yeah, I get it."

The bell rings loudly, continuing the morning rush as students begin to scatter. This is the most terrifying part of a freshman's day I would say, but we're seniors now. We survive...ish.

"Break." Haisley screams, cackling as she dives into the crowds. I shake my head in amusement, picking up my backpack before walking away with Zayden and Ryder. 

❂ ❂ ❂

"Aren't you girls excited?" Mom asks, leaning against my doorframe.

Marcheline, Haisley, Mom and I agreed to get ready at my house tonight. Emery wanted to come, but she had practice after school, and only an hour and a half to get ready before she had to head back for prep.

I shrug, "I don't know Mom, girls tend to be extra aggressive during these hunting hours."

"Oh yeah, vicious." Haisley echoes, finishing her mascara. She turns towards Mom, "Oh Mrs. D you weren't there sophomore year. The girls practically attacked Charli for getting Zay's jersey."

Mom chuckles, moving across the room to sit on my bed. Marcheline smiles up at her, computer open on her lap. Haisley demanded to know what was so important on that screen earlier, and it turns out she's not the only one waiting to hear back from sport programs.

"Now, isn't that tragic." Mom cooes. "Please tell me I raised my daughter well enough so she could defend herself against such dangerous chicks."

I scowl at her. "Ha ha, very funny, Mom. That bitch almost tore the jersey right off me."

"Language." Mom scolds.

"Sorry."

"Cap." Marcheline adds, smirking at my disapproving mother.

"And that's on America's ass." Haisley practically cackles, fixing her hair. "You have to laugh at that one."

Mom waves her off. "I will not participate in whatever you girls preach."

"Steve Rogers and Peggy Carter can form my cult any day." Marcheline sighs, her attention back on her computer.

I walk over and shut her computer. When she protests, I grab it and place in on my dresser. She frowns at me. "What was that for?"

"You need to stop worrying, Mar. It'll come out when it comes out. For now, just have fun and laugh before our senior year ends." I remind her. I place my hands on her shoulders, forcing her to meet my eyes. "Okay?"

She lets out a huff, letting her arms hang at her sides. I can feel some of the tension leave her body. "Fine. Where's the paint, losers?"

I grin, moving so she can stand.

"I'm not sure how I feel about you calling my daughter a loser, Marcheline." Mom teases, making her way out the door.

"I'm sure you're fine with it." Haisley points out, applying dark red lipstick. I would be lying if I said my best friend wasn't bold bold.

Mom pops her head back in the room, winking. "I know, I only said it to look like a good parent."

"Boo." I call out from my bathroom.

"Have fun girls. Don't forget curfew, Charli." Mom prompts, closing my door behind her.

Haisley connects her phone to my bluetooth speaker, running her tik tok playlist. I tsk, applying my own dark lipstick.

"You are far too deep into the tik tok world." I accuse, handing Marcheline my hair spray.

"Oh don't put that on me when you know you are too." Fair enough.

Marcheline glances down at her watch, fidgeting with the bobby pins in her hair. "Time to go, ladies." She chimes.

Haisley grabs her bag, double checking that we all have everything. We pile into her car after waving goodbye to Mom and Leo, who graciously reminded up to stay out of any mash pits.

The ride to school is somewhat peaceful until we reach the street before Oak Grove. That's when the official chaos begins.

Haisley groans as she navigates her way through the traffic and honking cars. All the guys are hooting and hollering out their car windows, some even standing through their car's sunroofs.

"Come to the game she said." I mimic, scrolling through my phone.

Haisley lightly smacks me upside the head. "And you're going to have a shit ton of fun after we pass these dumbasses." 

"Yikes." Marcheline laughs from the backseat, giving Haisley a fist bump. We watch as one of the guys chugs a beer from the truck bed in front of us. 

It takes us another fifteen minutes to get a parking space and make our way down to our huge stadium. I have to admit, we definitely have one hell of a campus.

The stadium lights are blinding as Haisley pulls Marcheline and I through the crowds of people on the bleachers. I'm not exactly sure how, but she gets us front row seats across from Emery who's on the sidelines.

When Emery spots us from her place with the rest of the cheer team, she runs to us with her arms outreached. Marcheline reaches down, grabbing her hand. 

"Hey, my fav sister." She grins teasingly.

Marcheline clicks her tongue. "I'm your only sister."

"You sure about that?" Emery jokes.

Yeah, they joke about it a lot because for the first ten years of their lives, they didn't know the other person existed, despite the commotion around their parents when they were born.

"When's the game actually starting, Ems?" I ask, leaning against the fenced railing.

Emery shrugs, glancing over her shoulder at the field. "Last I heard, Coach yelled we have to be back inside in five for lining up with the boys. So maybe fifteen?"

I nod, scanning the swarms of people around us. Students from the opposing team begin to show up, filling the guest bleachers. All I can see is red and gold from where we're sitting.

The cheer coach blows her whistle, signaling the girls to make their way back through the stadium entrance where the players are waiting. Emery winks at us before running after the other girls.

Haisley nudges me subtly. "Don't look now, but two rows back on the left."

Whenever someone says don't look now, it's usually for a really cliche reason or something bad.

Slowly, I follow suit to find Kinsley glaring down at me. I shift in my seat uncomfortably. Haisley throws Kinsley a nasty look before slinging an arm around my shoulders. 

"Oh well." She grabs my chin, pressing a kiss to my cheek. "There."

"Ew, Hales." I whine, knowing there's a lipstick stamp on my cheek.

Haisley begins to say something, but the sudden loud cheering swallows her words.

"What?" I scream over the noise. She shakes her head, letting me know she'll ask again later.

We turn to the field, watching the boys sprint out of the entrance with their assigned cheerleader. Ryder runs out first, since he's the team's captain, with the cheer captain on his arm. He scans the crowd finding Haisley, blowing her a kiss.

Zayden comes out midway with Emery. It's his first year as the team's quarterback, and I know he's nervous. He has loved football for such a long time, always trying out for quarterback but always falling short. Thankfully, senior year is his year.

He finds me in the stands too, waving. I wave back, grinning like a freak. I know the boys are going to crush it tonight, and that makes me proud.

Quickly the game begins, and we're kicking ass by mid game. Zayden crushes it with Ryder and the rest of their team. 

During the intermission, Haisley and I head for the food stands while Marcheline waits with Emery at our seats.

"Aren't you glad we came tonight?" Haisley quips, buying two hotdogs for her and Marcheline. I hand her money to get me a bag of chips.

"I guess. Still miss Anne Hathaway." I tease, picking up the food as she organizes her wallet.

"Next week." She promises, taking the hotdogs.

"Mhm." I say, as someone bumps into me.

"Watch where you're going." She sneers, looking me over in disgust.

"Excuse me?" I retort, turning fully towards her. I don't recognize her, but she reminds me of a freshman.

"You heard me, bitch. Watch where you're going." She spits back.

"Oh boohoo, freshie, get lost." Haisley says, grabbing my wrist. "Run along before I ask my friends to beat your ass."

Vicious runs both ways I see.

"What did you just say to me?" She crosses her arms, looking ready to punch Haisley. Oh god no.

Haisley grins mischievously, not threatened one bit. "You heard me, how would you like the quarterback and captain coming after your sorry ass. They know a lot of boys within and outside the team, honey."

The girls laughs, flicking her hair over her shoulder. "As if you two know them."

"Oh yeah? Watch us. See you after the game." Haisley waves, pulling us away.

I tut, "You shouldn't have done that, Hales."

"No one smack talks my best friend or me. She was begging for it. Plus, she's a freshie. She can't hurt us even if she was stupid enough to try." 

She has a point

We don't mention the incident again as the game finishes. Our team wins by two points, putting the game to an end. Our school bursts into cheers and screams as the players tear off their helmets, running across the field.

Haisley grabs Marcheline and I, pulling us onto the field. I'm not really sure if we're even allowed, but no one stops us.

Zayden and Ryder spot us immediately, sprinting towards us. Ryder tosses his helmet on the ground as he picks up Haisley. I pull Zayden in for a hug, meeting the smell of sweat and grime.

"Gross." I mumble into his chest. He laughs, pulling me in tighter. I shove him off of me, stepping back. "You need a shower, Mister."

"Nah." He looks at me evilly, and I shake my head immediately.

"No, definitely not. You've already done it twice today." I yell, starting to run. I know it's no use because he's the freaking quarterback. I just watched him dash across the field as if it was nothing. 

He grabs me by the waist, hoisting me up and over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. I squeal as he runs with me half way over his back. I try to kick my legs, but he holds them down tightly.

"You better not yeet me like a football." I scream into his ear, as we pass Ryder and Haisley. Marcheline laughs as she sees us, giving Zayden a thumbs up.

"No, don't encourage it." I yell at her, pounding on his back. He comes to a sudden stop, dropping me like the watermelon I am.

I yelp as I trip over my own feet, thankful for Zayden as he wraps his arms around my waist to keep me from further embarrassing myself. He lets me go, waving at passing people.

"What up, Cutie." Tyler, one of the running back greets, winking at me. I roll my eyes, giving him a high five.

"Hey, Ty. Try not to get into too much trouble tonight." I warn him.

"Oh, I wouldn't dare, Cutie. Not with you watching over me." 

"I won't be watching you anytime soon, Tyler." I place my hands on my hips, scoffing.

"See you in Anatomy." His brother Ryan calls out, shoving Tyler along. I wave at them both as they leave, turning back towards Zayden.

Except Zayden isn't where he was. My eyes scan the crowds until I spot him across the field with his parents and younger sister. I smile as I walk up to them, hugging his sister, Lydia, from behind.

She spins around immediately, returning the hug. I giggle as I smooth down her poofy hair. Haisley joins us, followed by Emery and Marcheline. Suddenly we're all in a huge group hug.

And everything feels right for a second of time.

❂ ❂ ❂

So that was one heck of a chapter ngl. Who's here for Zayden + Charli? *oOp tEa? guess we'll find out...sMiRK*

Yikes, I was going to finish writing this chapter last night bc i've found that 12am-3am = my mOsT cReaTiVE hOuRs, but I ended up falling asleep rip. So this morning I woke up to only 1200 words, but now this chap is a whOoPinG 4000+. YoU'Re wELcOmE.

Anyways, I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter because I had fun writing it. Apologies if you thought it was too cliche for your taste. I hope y'all remain safe and well along with your loved ones during this time. 

I hope you have an amazing day or night! 

PS: thank you so much for 1k+ reads and almost 200 reads! I didn't think it would happen, but here y'all are proving me wrong. Love y'all <3

Special thnx to my best friend Sarah, one of my internet besties Devon, and everyone who has been cheering me on since the very beginning. I hope SCD continues to spread (some of y'all don't consider this as a huge achievement, but I definitely do!)

-K :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.4K 2.8K 23
"lovely one, if I want you,I'd get you,but the thing is I don't. I see nothing there to want" Zion said as he had me pinned to the wall. Those words...
93.7K 2.5K 94
☆Ranked #2 in Entertainment on 5/14/18☆ ☆Ranked #92 in Highschool on 6/8/18☆ Freshmen-Junior Year: "You and your lames need to get the fuck up fr...
103K 4.1K 55
IMPORTANT: The story contains lots of swooning moments, funny insults, chaotic and HOT situations, staring contests with a couple of intense blue eye...
801K 26K 43
Everything was tasteless..bland. People in this universe never tasted anything until they found their soulmates. The number of days until they get to...