Believe Me, I'm Lying

By JordanLynde

When 17 year old Harley finds herself jobless, she needs a new job-- and quick. Her uncle comes to her house... More

:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 1
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 2
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 3
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 4
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 5
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 6
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 7
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 8
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 9
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 10
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 11
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 12
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 13
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 14
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 15
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 16
Believe Me, I'm Lying: 17
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 18
Believe Me, I'm Lying: 19
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 20
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 21
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 22
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 23
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 24
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 25
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 26-1
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 26-2
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 27
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 28
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 30
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 31
:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 32
Ignore this.
Believe Me, I'm Lying [IMPORTANT]
UPDATE: BMIL IN PAPERBACK?
BELIEVE ME, I'M LYING- THE INTERACTIVE GAME

:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 29

589K 11.3K 3.9K
By JordanLynde

Tick. Tick. Tick.

With each tick of the clock, I clicked my pen- a nervous habit I had picked up somewhere. In thirty seconds the homeroom bell would ring, and within the next few minutes, Arden would show up in my room. Or was supposed to show up. Who knew if he'd come today?

The bell sounded and I stopped in my motions, waiting anxiously. A minute passed, then two, then three, then five. My hopes dropped instantly, although I wasn't that surprised. Why wouldn't Arden avoid me? I was a promise-breaking liar after all. Maybe it'd be best if I just wore a shirt saying "believe me, I'm lying" around. It'd stop this from happening again.

The phone on my desk suddenly let out a shrill ring, making me jump in my seat. On the second ring I picked it up, placing it against my ear. "Hello?"

"Good morning Harley," a voice I recognized as my uncle's responded. "Could you come down to my office? We need to talk."

My heart stopped for about two seconds, then jumpstarted with a rate of 100 bps. My stomach clenched uncomfortably, and a feeling of nausea swept over me, sending my head reeling. I had to moisten my mouth before I could speak again.

"I'll be right down," I finally whispered, clutching the phone tightly in my hand.

"Okay."

The whole way to the principal's office, I resisted the urge to be sick. Hopefully my gut feeling was wrong, and I wasn't going down to the office for the reason I thought I was. As I turned the hall that led to my uncle's office, someone coming from the other direction ran straight into me.

"Sorry!" they apologized, grabbing my shoulders to keep me from failing. "Oh, good morning Ms. Allen."

I looked up to see Zak smiling at me. My heart skipped a beat and I took away from him, panic rising. "I... I've got to go," I said quickly, stepping around him, and hastening towards the office door.

"Wait, Ms. Allen!"

"Sorry!" I apologized, keeping my back to him.

My thoughts raced. Did he know? No, he couldn't- he was being too polite. What would happen when Zak found out? Would he be okay with it? Or would he get angry like Arden? What about Tucker? Or Joel? Joey? Luke?

My uncle was at his desk when I walked in, his phone at his ear. When he noticed me, he put a finger to his lips, and gestured for me to sit down. I did as he motioned, sitting tensely in the chair before him.

"I understand," he said to whoever was on the other side of the phone. "Yes, I'll see to it. Yes, I am. Yes. Yes. Okay. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, have a nice day." With an annoyed sigh, he nearly slammed the phone back down on the receiver. He gave me a weary expression. "Morning, Harley."

"Morning," I responded quietly.

"I'm going to guess that you know why you're down here."

"Well, I'm hoping I'm wrong..."

My uncle smiled solemnly. "I don't think you are, Harley. I specifically told you not to tell anyone your age-"

"But I didn't tell!"

"Then why have I gotten at least fifteen calls complaining about how I have a seventeen year old teacher hired here?" my uncle demanded. "Are you telling me Oliver spilled the beans?"

I shook my head immediately. "No! Oliver didn't do anything!"

"Then who did?"

"Technically, Anthony..."

My uncle's brows furrowed in confusion. "Anthony Fox? Oliver's dad?"

"Yeah. I guess Arden works there Wednesday nights. I was called in because they didn't have enough workers last night, and Arden was there too, but Anthony didn't know we knew each other, so Arden told Anthony that I was his teacher-"

"And then Anthony mentioned you were seventeen?" my uncle guessed, a frown forming on his face.

I nodded glumly. "His precise words were, Harley, I thought you were only seventeen."

My uncle's face tightened, and he ran a hand through his short hair. "And Arden obviously spread the truth around..."

"He might not of," I protested, feeling the nausea return. "Arden was really hurt, but-"

"The best thing we can do is call him down and see what he has to say for himself," my uncle cut me off, reaching for his phone. "Quiet for a moment."

My heart thudded almost painfully in my chest as we waited for Arden to show up. What was he going to do when he saw me? Yell? Or completely ignore me? It hurt to think about him ignoring me, but it also hurt that Arden would spill my secret to everyone. Even if he was hurt, that didn't seem like something Arden would do.

The door to the office abruptly opened, making my heart lurch into my throat. Both my uncle and myself turned towards the door, seeing Arden entering. Immediately our gazes met. His grey eyes smoldered over as I stared at him with wide eyes. After a few more moments he turned his head away, refusing to look at me again as he made his way to the seat next to me.

"Good morning, Mr. Bring," my uncle greeted him with a small smile.

"Morning." Arden's voice was flat and emotionless.

My uncle sent me an uncomfortable glance before returning his attention to Arden. "I've become aware that you know of Harley's true age."

"Yes."

"Last night and this morning I've received a number of calls from parents complaining about Harley's age, and why she was a teacher here. Were you aware that Harley's age was kept a secret for a reason?"

I turned to Arden, watching him carefully. I already knew he didn't know. He looked caught of guard. His mouth opened slightly and his eyes widened, looking dumbfounded.

"It was a secret?" Arden repeated dubiously, his shoulders tensing.

"A big one," my uncle told him, his expression completely serious. "That's why she wasn't allowed to tell you."

Arden now turned to me, looking horrified. "I didn't know-"

"Arden, how could you not realize it was a secret? She's seventeen! Of course she's not old enough to be a teacher," my uncle snapped before I could say anything.

"Uncle Rob!" I protested, turning to glare at him. "It's not his fault!"

"Did you tell anyone, Arden?" my uncle inquired, ignoring me.

Arden stared at my uncle silently for a moment. "I told Tyler..."

"You told someone?" I whispered in an appalled voice. So much for Arden not causing the problem.

My uncle heaved a heavy sigh. "As I thought."

"But I didn't know it was a secret-" Arden started to protest, looking angry.

"But now the rumor is around," my uncle cut him off, shaking his head. "Who else did you tell?"

"He's the only one," Arden responded in a hard voice.

"Then he must have spread it," my uncle concluded, tapping his fingers on the table. "And by the end of today, the whole school will know."

Arden crossed his arms. "I don't see what the big deal is."

My uncle made a face. "Harley does."

My mouth dropped open and I stared at my uncle in alarm. "Uncle Rob," I started, shaking my head. "Can't we fix this?"

"No, I've tried," he told me, shaking his head as well. "The parents made it clear that they want you gone or else they'll take action."

"Gone?" Arden repeated in a confused voice.

Tears sprung to my eyes as I looked pleadingly at my uncle. "Uncle Rob-"

"Harley, you're fired."

His words rang in my ears like sirens from an ambulance. Immediately I was thrown back to the day I was fired from the bakery. The same horrible, shaking, desperate feeling was back. "Wait," I begged, sliding forward in my seat. "I need this job, uncle Rob."

"I know," he responded in a pained voice. "I know, Harley. But I can't afford to have something happen to this school because of my selfish desire."

"But I have most of the requirements to be a teacher-"

"Except the part where you went to college and got a degree."

My heart sunk deeper in my chest. "But I need a job..."

"Wait," Arden suddenly spoke up, looking at my uncle wildly. "She's getting fired?"

"The parents are upset."

"But-"

"I'm sorry," my uncle cut him off, giving him a stern look. "Arden, this can't be rectified. Since you told Tyler and the rumor was spread, it can't be helped."

Tears spilled down my cheeks now as I glared at the floor, my hands clenched in tight fists. How could it have spread so quickly? In only one night enough people to get me fired found out? How many more parents were going to complain? Would any of them take it further? I couldn't let my uncle get in trouble for doing me a favor.

"I understand," I finally said, looking up from the ground. "I'll get my stuff..."

"Harley, I have a sub for you for your first two classes, but I'm afraid I'll need you for your seventh period."

My body went cold. "W-what?"

"Your closer with the students in that class, right? Won't this be a good chance to say goodbye?"

My mouth moved opened and closed, but I couldn't form any words. Not only was I getting fired, but also I had to face my seventh period class when they were going to know I had lied to them all year long? I'd have to face Tucker and Zak? Panic was starting to spread through me, but I forced it away.

"Okay," I whispered, clenching my fists again.

My uncle sighed heavily once more, putting his head back. "I'm really sorry, Harley. I'll start looking for a new job for you right away."

"Okay."

"I think it'd be best if you stayed in the teacher's lounge until seventh period... Unless you want to stay in here."

I shook my head slowly. "I'd rather stay in the lounge... There's comfort food there, you know?" I joked after seeing my uncle's hurt expression.

He smiled gently at me. "Okay. Then you two are dismissed."

Without a second's hesitation, I pushed away from the desk, heading for the door as quickly as I could. The sound of Arden getting up from his chair met my ears, and I picked up my past. There was no way I could talk to Arden right now. As soon as I stepped out of the office door, I quickly shut it behind me, and nearly started sprinting down the hallway.

"Harley, wait!"

I took two more steps before I felt Arden grab my arm and pull my forcefully to a stop. Swallowing the lump in my throat, I turned my head to look at him. "What?"

"I'm sorry-"

"Obviously if I didn't tell you or anyone else for that matter, it was a secret!"

"But-"

"When Oliver found out he didn't tell anyone!" I told him, feeling my eyes start to water. "You cost me my job, Arden!"

Arden's expression hardened. "Oliver knew?"

"He found out by accident," I explained, quickly adverting my gaze.

"For how long?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. Sometime during the first week I was here."

"So how come he could know while I couldn't?" he demanded, narrowing his eyes.

"Because he found out by accident! Accident, Arden!" I cried, giving him a look of disbelief. "It's not like I kept it a secret from you just because! I would have told you if I could."

"But you promised me, Harley!"

"I know! But I had to keep it-"

"I wouldn't have told anyone if I knew!"

The lump returned in my throat and I had to swallow it forcefully before I could continue. "The problem is that you did tell someone, and now I don't have a job. Have a good morning, Arden."

"Harley!"

It took all I had to ignore Arden calling after me as I escaped into the teacher's lounge. Luckily for me, it was empty. Biting down on my cheek hard to keep myself from crying, I collapsed onto one of the sofas, pulling my knees to my chest.

This was exactly what I didn't want to happen. But after I made that promise to Arden, I should have known it was inevitable. And now the whole school would know my true age- but that didn't matter since I was fired. Realization sunk in that now I'd have to go back to having a minimum wage paying job. The thought brought more tears to my eyes. I never realized how much I had been taken this job for granted. Now I only had one more class before I was done here forever.

The clock ticked slowly, agonizingly slowly. I just wanted it to be seventh period, so I could suffer for forty-five minutes until I could go home, crawl into bed, and never come out. Or at least stay there until Will forcefully dragged me out. I skipped lunch, deciding just to snack on some trail mix and Reese's from the vending machine. When seventh period was finally rolling around, my earlier restlessness came back, but this time ten-fold. My hands were nearly shaking when the bell rang.

I emerged from the lounge, finding the hall empty. Without a second's thought, I hastened towards my- well, not mine anymore- the classroom. I made it two other hallways before the students began to fill them.

"Hey Harley," one of them greeted me, a sly smirk on his face.

I ignored his jibe, pushing through another group of students who seemed to have purposefully blocked my way. It was funny how as soon as people found out you weren't a teacher they lost all courtesy. Another student forcefully bumped into me as I reached out to pull open the classroom door. I retracted my arm quickly, pain burning through my elbow as it bent the wrong way. After a hard glare at the boy, I pulled open the door, and slipped in.

"Ms. Allen?"

My heart leapt into my throat and I twirled around to see Zak looking at me in surprised. I stepped back in surprise, grabbing the handle to the door. Zak noticed this and took a step closer to me, stretching out his hand.

"Wait, wait! I'm not angry!" he told me, giving me an earnest look. "Really. I totally understand why you had to hide your age."

"So you know?" I asked rhetorically.

He grinned. "Yeah, I do. It's kind of surprising though. I actually believed you were twenty-one."

"You're not mad?"

"Not at all!" he told me, shaking his head. "I'm actually pretty excited. It's gunna be weird having a teacher younger than me."

My face fell slightly. Biting my lip, I adverted my gaze to the floor. "Oh, um... Well I got fired..."

"What?" he cried in surprise, his eyes widening. "Why? How?"

"Parents were complaining," I explained, forming fists with my hands again. "It's my last day here..."

The door suddenly opened from behind me, slamming into my back. I winced, staggering a few steps forwards. A bunch of noisy students came through the door, including Joel and Joey. They avoided eye contact, heading straight towards their seats. Tyler was also among them. He sent me a nasty look.

"What are you doing here, little girl?" he demanded in a sneering tone.

I looked at him in disbelief. Where did the attitude come from? Tyler was always friendly to me! His sudden 180 threw me off guard.

"Tyler, shut up," Zak snapped, stepping in front of me. "Lay off."

Tyler snorted, moving away with the rest of the gang. Most of them avoided my gaze, but Jake sent me a hard look. I immediately dropped my gaze, feeling angry and hurt. More people came through the door, but I turned my back to them, going over to the black planner on my old desk. Even if I didn't prep, it was better to have something to do instead of just sitting around awkwardly.

The bell rang signaling the beginning of class, but everyone was still talking. I finally looked up from the planner, a frown forming on my face. My eyes were drawn to Oliver, who was sitting at his desk, staring out the window. Zak was sending me a comforting smile from behind Oliver. I swept across the aisles; Joel and Joey were both staring moodily at their desks, and Tucker was sending me a look I couldn't quite determine. The rest of the boys were talking and joking loudly, except Luke, who was sitting at his desk, looking up at me with a knowing smirk.

"Um," I started, moving around to the front of my desk. "Today we'll be-"

"No way!" Tyler laughed loudly, slamming his hand down on the table. "She did what?"

"Excuse me!" I tried again, narrowing my eyes at him.

Tyler laughed loudly again, keeping his head turned from me. "Well I supposed you deserved that."

"Hey!" I could feel helplessness spreading throughout me. "Listen-"

The boys in the back of the class- Tyler, Jeff, Alex, David, Mason, Aaron and the like- continued to ignore me, talking obnoxiously loudly. I sent a panicked look towards Zak, who was glaring at the boys in the back with an irked expression.

"Listen to me!" I finally shouted, anger getting the best of me. "All of you shut up!"

Finally the group stopped talking. Tyler turned in his seat, sending me a scornful look. "Why should we listen to someone younger than us? Huh, Harley?"

"Just because I'm younger doesn't mean I'm in charge-"

"Well my mom doesn't agree with that," Tyler pointed out, smirking again.

I stared at him incredulously. "Tyler, what's wrong with you? Why are you being so mean?"

"Why are you still here?" he retorted. "I thought my mom made it clear she wanted you gone. She'll be hearing about this-"

"I got fired!" I cried, my chest tightening. "This is my last day here, okay? I'm done. Tell your mom to lay off! My uncle was just trying to help me!"

"Then stop telling us what to do," Tyler responded, but his voice had lost the sneering edge to it. "Respect your elders, remember? That's what you told us." Then he turned his back to me again, and started up his conversation.

My gaze dropped to the floor again as more impotence washed over me. Obviously they weren't going to listen to me. And since Arden wasn't here, and Tucker evidently wasn't planning on speaking up, no one could tell them to sit down. Apparently Tyler was third command. Their voices grew louder as I continued to wear a hole in the ground with my gaze, thinking of something I could do to make them listening to me. But there wasn't anything I could do! Now they knew I was seventeen, they were turning my earlier words against me!

Suddenly there was the sound of a chair slamming into a desk. I looked up quickly, fearing someone had somehow started a fight. My gaze landed on Oliver, who was standing up now. He turned, heading straight towards Tyler. Before I could protest, Oliver had gripped the front of Tyler's desk, pulling Tyler closer to him.

"Oliver!" I called, moving towards them. "Let him go!"

"Tyler, stop talking and sit down and listen," Oliver ordered in a hard voice. "She may not be our teacher anymore, but she's our sub now, and she's in charge. Her age doesn't matter."

Tyler snorted, yanking himself free of Oliver. "Don't tell me what to do."

"All of you sit down, now!" Oliver barked, turning to the rest of the group. "Jake, Jeff, go sit down."

Jake and Jeff changed a worried glance before shuffling to their seats and sitting down. The other boys, obviously not under Oliver's command, stayed rooted to their spots. Oliver glared at them harshly. "You've got three seconds to move before I force you to."

"Don't listen to him!" Tyler ordered.

"You guys stop!" I interjected, grabbing Oliver's arm. "Oliver, sit down, I can handle this-"

Oliver yanked his arm out of my hand. "No you can't, Harley!"

"Yes I can!"

"No, Harley. They won't listen to you! Face it!"

I backed away from Oliver, grinding my teeth together. He was right. I knew that! But he wasn't making them go anywhere either! Oliver raised his fist threateningly. I moved forward to grab him again, but he lowered it before I had to. The other boys had finally scattered.

"What are you doing?" Tyler demanded, glaring at them.

"What are you doing?" a new voice interrupted.

I turned to see Tucker pushing up from his seat. He caught me looking and sent me a meaningful look. One that said, "It's okay." My breath caught in my throat as relief washed over me. He wasn't angry.

"Why are you being like that?" Tucker demanded, giving Tyler a hard look. "Just yesterday you were being nice. You were her friend."

"That's-"

"She's the same person as she was yesterday, Tyler. Except younger. Obviously there was a reason she had to lie. Did you or your mom think about that?" Tucker demanded.

"Tucker it's okay-"

"No, Tucker's right, it's not okay," Zak pitched in. "Tyler, you should take the stick out of your butt and sit down."

Tyler's face fell, and he sent me a bewildered look. "Ms. Allen..."

I shook my head. "No. Call me Harley. I'm not your teacher anymore. I'm just a seventeen year old girl."

Tyler said nothing more, but he dropped into his seat, facing forwards. Oliver relaxed his stance, moving back to this seat. Tucker did as well, looking relieved. Meanwhile I was blinking rapidly, trying not to cry. Not only were Tucker and Zak not mad, but also they had came to my defense. I slowly moved to the front of the room, taking deep breaths to calm myself.

"Look," I started when I was finally calm again. "I'm sorry for lying. You don't have to accept my apology, but I'm still going to apologize. My uncle gave me this job because I needed money because I live by myself and I have to support my little brother and myself... My parents died a year ago and I've had to work since then because I don't want my brother to be separated from me... But my uncle fired me this morning, so you won't have to worry about me being your teacher anymore."

The class was silent after I spilled my secret. Joel and Joey sent me ashamed looks- perhaps they hadn't been thinking ill about me. Awkwardly standing in the front, I began to pick the lint of my shirt.

"I'm sorry," Joey finally blurted. "My mom called also when we found out..."

"We didn't know!" Joel added, looking distraught. "I didn't think you'd be fired though!"

I shook my head. "It's fine. It's no one's fault but mine."

Oliver sent me a hard look. Apparently he didn't agree with me. Before anyone else could say anything though, the classroom door opened. Everyone's heads turned to it, and after a second Arden appeared. He blinked, realizing all the attention was on him. Before I could process what was happening, Oliver was across the room, slamming Arden into the wall.

"Oliver!"

"What did you do, Arden?" Oliver demanded, holding Arden against the wall. "Do you really hate Harley that much?"

"He didn't know!" I said, moving towards the pair. "Oliver, back off!"

Oliver sent me an exasperated look, but let go of Arden. Arden pushed away from the wall, sending Oliver an apologetic look. I moved between them for safe measures, my back to Arden.

"I didn't know it was a secret," Arden told Oliver. "Well, not until this morning."

"I was the one who spread the rumor," Tyler admitted from across the classroom. "I..."

"Save it," Oliver snapped, keeping his back to him. "I hope you realize you cost Harley the job she needed."

I couldn't see Arden's expression, but I had a feeling he was giving Oliver a guilty look. "I know," Arden finally sighed. "I'm going to fix it."

"Fix it?" Oliver echoed dubiously. "How?"

I turned to Arden now too, frowning at him. His gaze met mine, a determined look to them. "I'm going to find a way, I promise."

"Promise?" I repeated quietly, more of a question than a statement. How could Arden promise something to me? I was the one who lied.

Arden nodded. "I promise. I did this, so I'm going to fix it. Just wait."

__________________________________________

My laptop charger broke. So I had two minutes to run to my cousin's house to post this, because my freakin flash drives won't transfer from mac to P.C. To top things off, after I finally posted it on quizilla (because I can copy-paste it onto here, which I did), I was running home because I still needed my laptop to get phone numbers I needed, but I cut through my yard instead of staying on the street, and i totally forgot my dad had been cutting of branches from the trees, so I ran right threw it, and my foot got caught, and I fell, and snapped the hanger-thing on my laptop, so now it swings freely -_____- I hate today. And my stupid sister and her boyfriend who I hate (i hate my sister too, actually) are staying at my house all week, ruining my privacy. I hate the holidays.

Happy Holidays to all you though! I want to update tomorrow, but my flashdrive is dead and I can't go to my cousins, so hopefully something will work out good.

Oh and I didn't proof read. Pretty sure you can all figure out the word by context. I mean really. Who can't figure out "my heart dropped into my guy". Look at your keyboard! Arg! y is next to t >_>

Facebook in link :L

[Today's Song: Besitos by Pierce The Veil]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 59.1K 40
He needs a scholarship. She's... well, she's just being nice. To him, she's just another nerd. To her, he's just a washed up jock. But when he finds...
2.4M 81.5K 53
(Complete) After a terrible encounter at a party, one year later, Hailey Fonte is ready to return to her hometown. With everyone against her because...
199K 7.6K 33
To Jezebel Spencer being made to move to the other side of the world, away from her beloved home and country of 15 years seemed like the biggest chal...
492K 6.2K 35
A 17 year old girl, named Camille Edwards and her mom and dad lives in a dangerous-ghetto neighborhood. Her mother is a crack fiend, and her father i...