Dreams of the Oracle

By BillTecumseh

Cassandra glimpses dark futures every time she closes her eyes. Now, a sorcerer with magic fueled by hate is... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 34

7 1 0
By BillTecumseh

Ravena listened to the screams of battle that rose above the roaring wind and the pounding rain. A thunderclap drowned the sound out for just a moment and then it started again. She listened to it all with a fierce pleasure.

It had started in the direction that Stanis had looked at first. From there it had rapidly spread to at least three different directions. She heard the roaring shrieks of the Rashakas as they charged their human prey. She heard the cries of fear and rage and pain from the men who had just gone from being the hunters to the quarry.

She turned her head, with her hair whipping about her as she listened to the sounds. Another clap of thunder pounded the earth and her ears. A flash of lightning lit up the clearing for a fraction of a second. In that moment she saw a handful of men and their shadowy opponents coming into the clearing from one side.

She smiled wickedly at their futile advance. She had been wrong to worry. These men were nothing that her creatures couldn't handle. Yet, there was this storm. A storm that Stanis had said stunk of sorcery. She heard another man scream in the woods.

She was just about to turn back to her carriage to wait for the inevitable triumph of her slaves when she saw something that stopped her cold. In the dark and wind and rain she saw a flash of light. A brief flash that was not lightening. Then she heard a terrible wailing sound above the storm. Then another flash of light and another wailing howl. Her face turned from the pleasure of triumph to harsh resolve. Screaming and wailing echoed each other in the night.

These men were indeed becoming troublesome. She turned to look at the pacing shadowy form of Stanis.

* * *

Ashur heard the shrieking roar of the beast coming for him. He watched its shadow tear through the wind and rain. His right hand dropped to the hilt of one of his daggers. As it got closer he could make out the details of its face more clearly. Rows of yellow teeth lined its massive jaws. The black fur of its wolflike head and body was matted and spiked. Black claws cut through streams of rain water.

Ashur tore his dagger loose and jumped to one side as the monster hurtled towards him. Incredibly, it managed to turn itself in midair. Its body swung to where he had jumped. Flaming green yellow eyes shone with malice. Another terrible shrieking roar tore from its throat. Ashur turned as its claws connected with his left shoulder.

His eyes narrowing he brought his dagger up and shoved it into the Rashaka's arm. White light flashed and the monster screamed. In a move more akin to a spasm it jerked sharply and its claws tore into Ashur's left side and flung him off to one side. It hunched over him. A great hulking beast with the dagger still flashing bits of white light in its arm. With another shriek the creature tore the dagger free.

Ashur was already in motion as the creature was tearing out the offending object. He jumped up pulling out another blade. He held it blade down in his right hand as he charged forward. He was heedless of the blood running down his left shoulder and side. He was all but unaware as it mixed with rainwater and stained his torn wet tunic. His body was acting on instinct. His legs and arms were moving with the grace of a dancer.

The Rashaka's green eyes flashed with hate at the one who had wounded it. It lunged forward and snapped its jaws as Ashur attacked. Ashur just managed to get to one side of those massive jaws. The claws from its injured arm grazed him as he brought the dagger up. With all the speed and strength he had, he plunged the blade straight into the monster's ear.

White light exploded from the wound and strips of electricity rippled across the monster's body. Ashur had focused totally on delivering the blow and didn't manage to dodge the massive creature's body as its shoulder took him backwards and to the ground. A terrible howl erupted from the beast. Its whole body shook into terrible spasms even as it took Ashur down. Ashur landed hard and felt the wind forced out of him as the massive creature pushed him into the mud. He struggled to get some air as the monster shook on top of him. He felt the white magic coursing through it as well. He felt it like crackling bits of pure light. It didn't quite hurt but it tingled against his joints.

Ashur struggled beneath the Rashaka's corpse. He finally managed to get enough of himself out to breathe. Its body was still moving. It jerked spasmodically and landed on top of him again even as he was about to extricate himself from it. Its heavy bulk pounded him into the mud once again. Gasping for more air he finally tore himself free and crawled away. He glanced back and watched the Rashaka's body suddenly begin to crumble to dust. He watched it, sucking in deep breaths. Then he heard a sound behind him.

He spun around his right hand already reaching for another dagger but the beast was already on him. Its huge form smashed him back into the ground. He flung up one arm and forced its snapping jaws to one side, protecting his throat. It brought its head up for a moment and looked down at him. Its green yellow eyes glowed cruelly. Its weight pinned him to the ground.

There was a clap of thunder and the earth trembled slightly beneath him. He struggled against it trying to move beneath it. Its mouth opened and the monster began laughing. A shrieking roaring terrible laugh of triumph. A lightning flash lightened up its face. For a moment he saw its wolflike features twisted into hateful pleasure. Ashur struggled to grab one of his daggers. He glared up at the laughing Rashaka. He would not die like this.

Then there was a flash of blue light. The Rashaka's laugh turned into a high pitched wail as blue fire tore straight through its neck. Ashur watched in astonishment as the decapitated monster shook and then began crumbling to dust and blackened bones. He pulled himself up as soon as he was able and looked into the eyes of his savior.

Segurant stood before the blackened remnants of the dead Rashaka. Blue light coated his body. A flaming sword of pure blue magic was in his metal hand. Even his eyes glowed with blue light. Rain and mist sparkled with the the lights and weird shadows were flickering all around him. Ashur nodded his thanks to the man and looked around for any other Rashakas lurking in the shadows.

"Are you well, young squire?" asked the shining form of Segurant.

"Yes," replied Ashur stepping forward, "thank you."

He looked over at the blackened bones of the other Rashaka,

"Did you kill that one by yourself?" he asked pointing.

Ashur nodded quickly.

"Well done," said the Iron Hand, "Come, there is evil yet to be vanquished."

Ashur followed as the Iron Hand began striding forward. Rain and wind and mist flung against Ashur's battered framed but Segurant was unaffected. The blue light surrounded the man and shone like a fallen star. Ashur reached up and placed his hand on the hilt of another blade. He was hesitant to draw it because of all the rain, it wouldn't do to have the bone water wash off and chance not being able to kill these things. As the two of them stepped forth Ashur saw other shadows gathering. He was about to draw his dagger before he recognized them as the Janin.

Another group of Rashakas charged them all at once. Green eyes gleamed in the rain and dark. Ashur drew his dagger as a dark from lunged at one of the men beside him. In the corner of his eye he saw a shadow throw itself into the Iron Hand. Focusing he plunged his dagger forward, but all he stabbed was air as the Rashaka pulled itself away and tore its claws into another man.

* * *

Ravena had stepped back to her carriage. She stood outside of it watching lights flash and listening to the screaming, shrieking, wailing sound of battle. She clutched her weapon tightly and watched the rain tear this way and that in massive sheets. She looked at the horses that had been tied to posts nearby. They were pulling frantically at their ropes and making sharp high pitched sounds.

Another thunder clap rumbled in the sky. She looked up and then back down. She thought she had heard more human screams than the wails of her Rashakas but she couldn't be sure. The first men who had entered the clearing hadn't advanced any further. She was still reasonably sure that her would destroy her enemies. The problem was that the fight was still going on.

They should have killed the vermin by now. She thought as wind hurled into her. Still, it didn't matter. In the end none of the men who had come here would be left alive. She would see to that. Even if they somehow made it past her slaves. They would still have to deal with her. They would still have to deal with Stanis.

Her grip on the black rod grew tighter. She saw a bright blue light step out of the woods. It shone through the mist and rain. She watched several shadowy forms charge the being. She heard their wails as the shining one struck them down. She sucked in air through her teeth. What in the name of--?

"Mistress."

She jumped at the aged creature's sudden appearance. Its yellow green eyes bored into her skull,

"What? What is it?"

"The Man with magic comes."

"That, that's the Iron Hand?" she asked.

"Yes."

"Can you stop him?" she asked turning to the creature as the being sheathed in blue light advanced.

"We smell your fear Mistress" it smiled leaning close. Ravena tried to pull away but she was backed against her carriage,

"It smells sweet to us," it whispered. Water streamed through the creases in its face. Its strands of hair were plastered to its scalp. Its eyes locked on to hers and she felt something cold and dark seize her soul.

Then it turned and started through the rain. Its hunched withered frame disappeared into the mist and shadow. Ravena watched it go. Her heart pounded loudly in her ears. She leaned against her carriage and tried to regain control.

* * *

Ashur threw himself to one side as a massive green eyed shadow hurtled through the rain and mist. Rainwater dripped from his body and plastered his long hair to his scalp. His next dagger was out and flashing with the blue light of the being behind him. He was about to glance over at Segurant when the creature came at him again.

This time it was quicker. Long black claws shredded the surface of his skin as he just managed to pull away. He clenched his teeth against the searing pain. His eyes caught the bright droplets of blood as they flew from the claws of his attacker. As he pulled away he managed to shove his dagger into the beast's clawed hand. White light flickered and the Rashaka hissed in fury. As it jerked its hand away Ashur charged forward. It swung at him with its other claw but it was already too late. With speed that he hadn't known he possessed he managed to get behind the monster. Blood pumping in his ears he leapt onto the creature's back.

In the same motion he began stabbing the back of its neck. He plunged his knife into it over and over again. His mind was closed to everything around him. His dagger kept on stabbing almost of its own accord. Shivering bolts of light cascaded from the knife wounds and down the creature's massive frame. It wailed terribly and trembled violently. Ashur hardly felt the bolts of light tingling beneath his body. He was still stabbing the beast. He was no longer in a darkened wood surrounded by monsters. He was not even sure of who he was. All there was in his world was the terrible creature beneath him that had to die.

The Rashaka gave a last howling shrieking cry of pain and hate and then threw itself backwards. Ashur broke from his reverie just a moment before it fell on top of him. He managed to leap free and roll to one side as the massive shadow collapsed into the mud. He was breathing heavily as he slowly rose to his feet. He looked down at the dagger. The blade was blackened and twisted to almost nothing. He looked over at the Rashaka's corpse as it collapsed into a blackened husk. He looked down at the twisted blackened dagger in his hand. Even as he watched, the blade crumbled into powder. That first stab in the back of its neck was probably the only one that had done any good. All the rest had probably hardly even pierced the creature's hide. He tossed the hilt away.

Then the feeling came again, a feeling of exhilaration. A bright feeling that welled up in his chest and made him want to smile. He shook it off and looked around. He turned just in time to see Segurant. The Iron Hand brought his great flaming blue sword down in one swift motion cleaving a hapless shrieking Rashaka in two. His light illuminated a small area around him. Though the sounds of screaming and shrieking could just be heard over the rain and occasional bursts of thunder all the other Janin and Rashakas were invisible. Ashur stepped towards the other man. In the small circle of visibility he and Segurant might have been the only two men left in the world. He reached his hand up and placed it on the hilt of his next dagger, he only had two left.

As he walked towards Segurant he suddenly became aware of the scrapes and tears that now crisscrossed across his body. He looked down in the pale blue light and saw rainwater attempting to wash his hands and arms clean of the mud and the blood that coated them like an extra skin. His tunic was in tatters and he had a couple of tears on his trousers as well. He frowned as he realized that he didn't remember receiving all the wounds that he had then he pushed it from his mind,

"Segurant! Do you know how many more there are?"

The big man turned to him. Blue light framed his face and surrounded his body like translucent armor. His eyes were the same shining blue. He hardly looked human. He was like some ancient god that had descended from the heavens to do battle. He seemed just about to open his mouth to speak when he suddenly jerked his head away.

Ashur followed his eyes into the rain and mist and shadows. He saw nothing but Segurant was staring at that space with calm deliberation. Ashur glanced over as another Janin walked out of the shadows and stood behind him. He seemed about to say something but with one look at Segurant's face he turned to see what the Iron Hand was looking at as well.

Ashur was about to turn to the Janin when a shadow appeared in the mist. It was a smaller manshaped shadow quite unlike the monstrous Rashakas. Yet, its eyes told what it really was. Like twin yellowish green flames of pure hate they shined out from the shadow as it stepped through the mist. When it finally stepped out of the rain and mist and into the light Ashur blinked.

It was just an old man. It stepped forward with a little more speed and dexterity than might be expected for a man its apparent age. It was slightly stooped and mostly bald with scraggly gray hair that hung lankly from its scalp. It was withered and old like the skeletal remains of a burned out tree in the desert. But for its terrible eyes Ashur would hardly have felt threatened at all. His right hand began pulling his dagger free. With a slight glance he saw the Janin doing the same thing.

"You two."

Ashur and the Janin both looked over at Segurant.

"Get away from here and find the girl," he said his eyes never leaving the old creature as it continued to approach.

"But Segurant I-"

"Go now!"

The Janin grabbed Ashur's arm and pulled him away. He looked back in confusion at the small circle of light. He saw Segurant standing in shining magnificence before a bent and withered old man with the eyes of a Rashaka. With an effort he turned his head away and allowed himself to be swallowed up in the rain and mist with the Janin at his side.

* * *

Ravena took deep breaths as she began walking out into the rain and mist. Water pounded against her and poured down the strands of her hair. She held her weapon tightly in her right hand. Her cold eyes flickered back and forth searching the shadows.

She had decided to take control of her situation. Her precious slaves were giving out far too many death wails and the cursed invaders were giving up far too few. Further, she had only actually used her weapon once before it would be delightful to use it once again. The thought excited her. Her grip grew tighter as she crouched in the mist and pulled her black cloak tight to keep it from blowing in the wind.

Her lips were drawn up and her teeth were slightly bared in a half grimace half smile of anticipation. This would help her. This would help her not to worry about the pesky thoughts that had been bothering her. She had no need to concern herself with good and evil when she was on the hunt. No need to think about a cursed box or the creature she had summoned. No need to think about her master and the dark presence that hung in the air around him. No need to think about the last terrible cries of the girl. No not now.

She listened for the closest sounds of battle. It was difficult to hear over the rain and thunder but she followed what sounds she heard as best as she could. She brought the black rod up so it was slightly in front of her and pointing forward. She shivered in the cold and rain. She needed this. She needed to feel the power flowing through her. Power was all that mattered.

There is no good and evil there is only power and weakness, she whispered softly as her soft boots took furtive steps through the mud.

* * *

"What brings you here iron hand?" hissed the old creature over the sounds of the storm.

Segurant stepped forward,

"I'll waste no words with the likes of you."

"Murderer of our children. You really think you can stop us?" it whispered hoarsely. Its frail looking body was still and solid as a misshapen rock.

* * *

Ashur followed the Janin further into the mist. His feet tried to skid through the mud but he kept his balance. His right hand was clenched around the hilt of his dagger. He squinted through the rain and wind and tried to keep close the man he followed. It struck him as slightly humorous that he was following this man into the unknown with no idea who the man was. He didn't even know if the Janin knew where he was going. Then it occurred to him that if he wasn't following the man he would have just had to guess which direction to go anyway.

His wounds stung but he tried not to think about them. So much water was pouring over him that he couldn't tell if he was still bleeding or not. He thought that he was. He turned sharply as he followed the Janin and nearly lost balance as one foot skidded wide. He stopped for a moment after catching himself. For a moment he thought he had lost his new companion. He was about to call out when he took some steps forward and saw some shadows jumping back and forth just ahead.

He began walking forward at an easy pace. Then his mind worked it out and he suddenly realized that the Janin had led him in a circle. Looking off to one side he could see a faint blue light shining in the storm. He smiled slightly, apparently the Janin really hadn't had any better idea where he was going than he had. He stalked forward towards the shadows that were moving in the mist.

As he approached he could just barely make out some outlines. A number of Rashakas were combating some three or four Janin. Their constant motion and the lousy visibility made it impossible to tell the numbers for sure. Ashur took a deep breath of wet air and charged forward.

He took three steps and tripped, landing hard in the mud. That was a stupid move, he thought angrily. He spat mud from his mouth and slowly pulled himself up to a low crouch. He looked around at the combatants but none seemed to notice him. Spitting more mud from his mouth he risked a glance back at what he had tripped over. As he turned his head he slipped his right hand back to the handle of his knife.

The rain, wind, and mist made it hard to tell at first. It looked like an odd shaped mound of earth. His eyes spread across the crumpled form. It really was hard to tell at first all the mud that covered it made it the same color as everything else.

The first thing he recognized was an ear. The head was turned slightly so that the inner part of his ear was visible despite the body being face down. Once he recognized the ear the rest of the body became apparent pretty quickly. Torn clothes and one arm outstretched. He didn't know if the other arm was hidden underneath the man's chest or gone altogether. He looked at the torn empty body with a kind of horror and fascination. His right hand slipped from the hilt of his dagger he slowly lifted the head so he could see the face. As he lifted there was a sudden flash of lightning. For less than a second the face was completely illuminated and as the thunder answered his mind registered what he had just seen. He caught his breath.

It was Mansin.

He gulped in another breath of air. He didn't know the man, he didn't know anything about him yet he could feel a strangling grief trying to seize his throat. All he knew about the man was that he had told him about his father. He had told him the truth. That fact made him the most honest Janin he knew. He gently let the head rest back on the ground.

A tear came to one of his eyes. He wiped it with a dirty finger. A painful lump rose in his throat. He swallowed it down and his eyes narrowed. An honest man didn't deserve to die like this. His right hand closed around his dagger. This man shouldn't be dead. He slowly looked up at the massive shadows of the Rashakas as the battled the Janin in the storm.

* * *

Segurant stopped a few feet from the old creature. Its yellow green eyes burned brighter in growing malice. It stood perfectly still except for its face. Its creased old face was twisting into a hideous grin. Crooked yellow teeth glinted with the blue light of Segurant's magic. Its eyes flashed with a terrible light. Segurant watched it. He watched it keeping his body as motionless as the creature.

Its mouth opened,

"Our children shall feast on your corpse tonight, Iron Hand."

* * *

Ravena stalked through the storm. Her eyes searched the shadows for a victim. She let go of her cloak for a moment and stroked the symbols on her weapon. Her black cloak billowed about her in the swirling wind. She squinted hard into the storm. Curse it all! She could see nothing in the gloom!

She grabbed the folds of her cloak and held them around her again. Then she continued her search. She stepped into a softer area and felt her boot sink into the mud. Cursing she pulled her foot free and stepped away from that spot. The storm was like some great tormentor every gust of wind seemed to be laughing at her. Laughing at her uncertainty.

The rumble of thunder shook the insides of her ears. She looked in its direction. Then she looked ahead again and continued forward. Her wet hair whipped against her face as a particularly strong gust of wind caught hold of its strands. She let go of her cloak again to pull the wet strands from her face. Once again her cloak billowed and flapped about her like the wings of some monstrous bat.

Cursing again she decided to just leave it be. She continued on with her cloak flying around her. Rain stung her eyes as she searched for someone living. How was she not seeing anyone? She had heard seemingly countless screams and wails only a moment ago now all she heard was the wind and all she saw was the rain.

She took another step and this time her sharp eyes caught a flicker of movement. She felt a flutter of excitement in her chest and she walked swiftly towards it. One of her boots tried to skid as she walked swiftly through the mist and torrents of rainwater. She kept herself steady. She refused to allow herself to be delayed further. She had her prey in her sights!

Her eyes were wide and bright as she approached the shadows moving about in the mist. Her heart began pounding loudly in her chest. She licked her lips and began walking slower. Frustrated with the cloak flapping about her she untied the strings at her throat and let it fly into the wind. Somewhat satisfied she crouched slightly and moved closer and closer the moving shadows. She would have to be careful. It wouldn't do to strike down one of her slaves. Her lips were drawn in a fierce smile almost of their own accord. She was going to enjoy this.

* * *

The bent old creature finally moved. It took one step forward. Rain dripped down the rags it wore. Its clothes were plastered against its near skeletal body. Blue light danced from the water droplets that coated its stretched tanned skin. The twisted grin remained for a moment longer then vanished as if it had never been.

Its creased withered face became grim and solemn. Glowing yellow green eyes burned with sharp vengeance. The blue light shining from Segurant's hand cast strange shadows across its drawn and wrinkled face. Segurant watched the creature steadily. He knew what was coming. He knew what this thing was.

"The abyss is waiting to take your soul Iron Hand! Your end has come! Die! Die! DIE!" screamed Stanis. It raised its withered arms into the air. Its body swirled and faded into a massive cloud of foul black smoke. Segurant watched the blue light of his hand fade suddenly. For a brief moment he was plunged in total darkness. Then the light returned once more.

The blue light fell upon a massive shadow that stood but a few feet from him. His blue eyes looked up and up into the face of the old man's true form. He spread his feet slightly in automatic recognition of what he knew was about to happen. His heart beat steadily in his chest. He took in a breath of air and let it out.

He had been wrong. He hadn't had any idea what this creature was. He hadn't had a clue.

The demon looked down at him, Multiple sets of eyes glowed like beacons to an early grave. Segurant coolly raised his flaming blade,

Come forth abomination!

* * *

Ashur crept slowly away from Mansin's dead body. His right hand was wrapped tightly around the hilt of the second to the last dagger he had. Part of him wanted to stay with the body. Wanted to stand over it and protect it. Wanted to stay with it and make sure it was buried and not just left to the dogs and the birds. But that was only part of him.

He hadn't forgotten why he was here. He was going to find Cass and he was going to take her away from this place of death. He swallowed and took another step. His eyes jumped from one moving shadow to another. He saw two massive shadows whose size and wolflike heads were unmistakable. He felt a great swell of hate as he looked at the beasts through the mist.

Such creatures have no right to live in this world. Such creatures have no right to exist...

Thus were his thoughts as he crept forward a little more. His beating heart told him to draw his two daggers and charge the monsters right then with a blade in each hand. The blood pumping through his veins and leaking from the stinging wounds that crisscrossed his body told him to kill the creatures. Kill them all. Kill them now. He felt almost sick for moving so slowly and cautiously. Every moment that passed with him not charging the monsters felt like bile rising in his throat.

But a stronger part of him told him not to lose his sense. He couldn't rush out blindly. He had to wait. He had to wait until the right moment to strike. He crouched low and took another soft step across the muddy ground. He struggled to clear his mind. He couldn't have the image of the dead man in his head. Not now. He couldn't be thinking of the death of a good man while waiting for his opportune moment. He couldn't lose his head. With an effort his eyes assessed the two Rashakas nearest to him. He watched how they moved and how they were fighting.

He couldn't quite make out the Janin they fought but he could tell by the movements of the Rashakas that they were skilled enough to last at least a bit longer. The Rashakas were moving and striking I swift jerky movements. One of them raked the air with its left claw almost too fast for the eye to follow.

Ashur watched them move. He let the hot anger within him cool. They didn't know he was there. All he needed was an opening. Just one opening. His right hand pulled on the hilt of his dagger the sliver of its shiny blade was visible in the rain. He spat on the wet ground. Just one opening. He would be ready.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 378 52
What if you were suddenly told that everything you'd ever known about yourself was a lie? What if you also found out your best friend was living in t...
7.1K 609 37
A dethroned emperor. A servant seeking revenge. A woman whose touch can kill. An escaped death-row prisoner. A resurrected ex-assassin. One impossibl...
34.3K 4K 48
Secrets can be Powerful. ...But they can also be Deadly. Unable to weld magic dooms Julia to a life of servitude and drudgery. Desperate to break fre...
147K 15.6K 77
In a politically volatile kingdom, Noah is tasked with finding the catalyst, a magical artifact rumored to greatly enhance the potential of the wield...