The Potion Master's Apprentice

By ttiiggeerr

Harry defeats Voldemort in the graveyard and suddenly finds himself with a lot more time to focus on his stud... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Chapter 6

15.6K 542 241
By ttiiggeerr

It wasn't until the last day of the year that he realized how much he was going to miss Hogwarts. It was the first place he had ever called home, the first place he had even felt safe. The NEWT results flooded in during breakfast and Harry tucked his away before leaving the table to find some peace by the lake.

His favourite spot by the lake was a bit further up than most students were willing to go due to the tall grass and large rocks. He plopped himself down to read his results.

Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test Results

Pass Grades:

Outstanding (O)

Exceeds Expectations (E)

Acceptable (A)

Fail Grades:

Poor (P)

Dreadful (D)

Troll (T)

Harry James Potter has achieved:

Charms: O

Defense Against the Dark Arts: O

Herbology: O

Potions: O

Transfiguration: O

He smiled to himself and put the letter back in his pocket before summoning some rocks to throw into the lake. A gentle breeze ruffled his hair as the sun soaked into his robes to warm him. It was a beautiful morning and he was going to enjoy it as much as possible.

"You've managed quite the feat with your grades Mr. Potter." Harry turned to see Snape standing behind him. For some reason, Harry was glad that Snape had come to find him. The man pulled a scroll tied with an emerald green ribbon from an inside pocket of his robe and handed it to Harry.

"Sir?"

"I'll expect an answer from you before the end of the week." With that the man turned and practically disappeared to leave Harry feeling slightly confused at the random request.

Turning his attention to the scroll, Harry suddenly felt nervous. He couldn't imagine what the scroll would say. Deciding there was nothing else for it, he untied the silky ribbon and unrolled it.

Dear Mr. Potter,

It has been with great consideration and deliberation that Potion Master Severus Tobias Snape has approached us in regards to taking you on as an apprentice to the art of potion making. With your excellent NEWT results, we have decided to grant his request. Please consider your pending apprenticeship with Potion Master Severus Tobias Snape to be in good standing with the Board of Apprenticeships as well as the Society of Potion Masters.

Signed,

Ainmire O'Hara

Board of Apprenticeships

Andre Bordeur

Society of Potion Masters

Feeling his jaw drop in disbelief, Harry turned his attention to the second sheaf of parchment. This one wasn't as posh of a quality, but had a silver filigree lining the border.

Mr. Potter,

I've taken it upon myself to request approval for your apprenticeship should it still be desired. Rest assured, this offer still stands at any time should you decide to wait. Should you decide to accept this offer, please note the following rules that will have to be followed-and yes, apprenticeships do have rules.

Firstly, you will have to reside with me. We will be dealing with potions that cannot, under any circumstances, be left unattended which will require sleeping, eating, bathroom breaks, etc. in shifts.

Secondly, you must be willing to do exactly as I say. While this rule isn't typically addressed, you have an alarming tendency to put yourself in perceived danger to prevent others from getting hurt. I assure you, this will not be tolerated as some "dangerous" situations are, in fact, normal for some potions and are relatively harmless with proper precaution. You pushing me away from a situation like this could prove detrimental for both of us-and in some cases, the entire room we are in.

Thirdly, you will be required to wear appropriate attire. This means you will be required to allow me to accompany you for new attire as there will be many specifications that will be required for your protection.

I will be continuing to teach potions class next year. All potions that require shifts will be done during the holidays when students will largely not be at the castle. Whilst I am teaching, you will be either marking essays or brewing for Poppy's stores should she need replenishments of anything. Any and all experimental potions you may desire to explore must go through me first so I can review any danger or predict any unwanted scenarios. I will expect a full breakdown of what you expect to happen during each step, no matter how menial it may seem.

As I have told you, I will be expecting an answer before the end of the week. You've shown yourself to be incredibly creative with potions thus far. I do hope you don't plan on throwing that away.

Signed,

Severus Snape

Potion Master

Experimental Potions and Regulations Head for the Society of Potion Masters

Potions Professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Harry could hardly believe what he had just read. After Snape had tried to curtail him at every turn about spending so much time on one subject, he was offering him an apprenticeship? He smiled at the thought of Snape taking the time to write to these associations to get official approval for taking him on. Something about the man taking time out of his day time and to, once again, do what he thought would make Harry happy was incredibly warming to him.

"H...Her...Hermione!" Harry was out of breath after running up to Gryffindor tower from his spot at the lake.

"Harry, what's wro-"

"Nothing! Absolutely nothing! The opposite, actually. I ran all the way here from the lake to tell you! You know how you've been hounding me about doing something with my life instead of traveling or some other tripe? Well here," He thrust the letter from the associations that approved his apprenticeship at her. "Well go on then, read it!" She only made it halfway through before frowning at Harry.

"I thought you didn't like potions. You never study for it."

"Well, yeah because I've been studying potions on my own time. You guys dropped the course so I decided to study that while I'm in my rooms. I've really grown to like potions, actually."

Hermione looked at him and smiled before expressing her happiness that he was going to continue his studies.

Deciding that he wanted to go to bed early, Harry left a note on the piano. It wasn't often that he felt tired at a somewhat normal time so he didn't feel any remorse as he dropped the note on the glossy black key cover. As soon as his head hit the pillow that night, he was out like a light.

Severus entered the small classroom, curious as to why he couldn't hear the usual sounds of music playing. He glanced through the door to find that the room was vacant of one Harry Potter and he turned to leave. A small patch of cream parchment on the piano caught his eye and he went to pick it up. The note was small, but effective.

I would be honored to accept an apprenticeship under your tutelage.

Severus smiled and went back to his personal lab to take stock of what he had and what he would need in the coming months.

Harry waved as he watched Hermione and Ron waving back from inside their compartment on the Hogwarts Express. He felt a bit melancholy about not being with them, but was incredibly excited for whatever awaited him with his apprenticeship.

"Mr. Potter, I presume you're ready to start your apprenticeship?" Harry felt his heart stutter in shock. He hadn't realized anyone was watching him, or that anyone had even approached him. Recovering quickly, he turned around.

"Of course." A corner of Snape's mouth turned upward the barest amount and the man turned on his heel before walking back towards the castle.

"Are you coming Mr. Potter, or are you going to stare at me the whole time I travel back to the castle?" The words were thrown casually over Snape's shoulder, an amused tone delivering them. Harry chuckled and followed Snape back down to the professor's office.

A roll of parchment sat on the desk, along with a quill and ink.

"While it isn't necessary for you to write a formal acceptance letter since I was the one to seek you out, I am rather curious as to why you are so eager for this." The man gestured towards the chair on the opposite side of his desk and pulled out a book to begin reading. Taking that as his cue, Harry picked up the quill and started to write.

'Potions. A subject most in Hogwarts despise. Whether it be because they are too busy ruthlessly (and mindlessly) picking apart the professor's appearance, they're sabotaging each other due to useless house rivalries or just too uncomfortable with the damp chilliness to pay attention properly has yet to be seen. I, however, find solace in the preparation of ingredients. The precision it takes requires your full attention and allows for you to push all thoughts of anything else away. Time no longer exists when you're so focused on the reactions you're waiting for, be it the subtle color changes or a drastic change in smell. Your senses take over for you, allowing you the space you may need from your own thoughts. Theoretics of potions allow you to utilize any and all knowledge you hold of various ingredients, heat usage, stirring techniques and more. It allows you to stretch your mind in ways both creative, productive and structural. Antidotes require fast thinking and vast amounts of knowledge being put to use in a timely manner. I could go on.

'I could have pursued the subject at home, used what knowledge I gained during school to be content enough with brewing household potions. But through Professor Snape's tutelage I've come to realize that I simply wouldn't be content with that. The Wolfsbane potion is an incredible creation, and it helps significantly reduce symptoms of lycanthropy both mentally and physically. The amount of knowledge and dedication it takes simply to brew it with instructions is incredible, let alone the creation of it.

'I don't want to do this for recognition. I want to do this for the mental challenges this will pose to me, for the dedication that I will have to hand over to it. My friends are grown and off to start their own adventures, and I have no desire to seek out a partner who will likely only be around me for notoriety. It's my hope that being sequestered away to learn will allow the masses to relax their hold on me so I can focus on bettering myself through a medium that has captured my full attention.'

Harry looked up from his parchment and turned his head to the back of the classroom where a cauldron was over a light flame. "Professor? I think your healing salve is almost done. You might want to check on it."

Snape snapped his book shut and stood to verify what he had said and turned the flame off to allow it to cool and solidify into the proper consistency.

"How did you know that?" Snape had bent over him at the desk, his hands flat on the desk and his hair curtaining his face from Harry's gaze.

"I-I could smell the lavender, sir and you usually stock up on healing potions at the end of the week. You can't normally smell lavender in healing salves until it's ready to be pulled. I just didn't want the book you were reading to ruin your work."

An amused scoff followed. "Leave it to you to notice a potion's scent before a-me." Harry smiled and went back to his writing. It was a bit ridiculous that he was able to catch onto that before a potion master.

'The art of potions has captured my attention due to its complex nature. I don't wish to study just one thing-and potions allows me to study not only the potions themselves, but the ingredients. This would include herbology and magical creatures as well as charms for the potions during brewing, defence against dark arts for antidotes, dark arts for things such as poisons and deep sleep potions for intensive healing and care, etc. Protective charms are a must, transfiguration a necessity should I ever be out and about and have to make do with less than ideal situations. Perhaps it is the war that has made me paranoid.

'I feel as though any other master may have more experience in terms of overseeing an apprentice; however, I would prefer to be taught by someone who has lived through similar situations. Being a double agent spy is no easy feat and has made Professor Snape all the better for it. He is able to use anything and everything to his advantage, which makes his skills with potions more versatile. When he's out of one ingredient he can supplement it for a few other things he might have on hand and change the entire process of the steps to allow those accommodations to be met with the same effects at the end. He can shorten the brewing time of anything should the need for it arise and can create potions on a whim with nothing more than a few moments of thought. He's invented nonverbal spells to assist him on the spot and has shown time and time again that he can do anything and everything if given the right circumstances with potions. These are all things that make him ideal for me to apprentice under. If I plan on doing the subject any justice whatsoever, it is under his guidance that I will be able to do so.

'After spending the last several months studying for my NEWTs with him and providing the Hogwarts infirmary on potions, I've come to realize that he and I work much better than anyone could have imagined. I like to think we've learned from each other, although I've certainly learned more from him than he has learned from me.

'I'm indescribably excited to be able to apprentice under him. It's due to his knowledge and expertise that I have any interest in the subject at all.'

When he reached the end of the parchment, Harry handed it over to the professor. Without a word, Snape read what he wrote. Harry kept his eyes on the desk in front of him.

"While I'm flattered you seemed to gain an interest in the subject due to me, I would like to know if you're prepared to work with me on a regular basis. You worked closely with me on weekends and holidays-I'm much more calm during those times than I am during lessons. Do you think you can handle me taking out any and all of my frustration at the children who faff about on you daily when school resumes?" Harry looked up from the desk to see Snape's intense gaze focused completely on him.

"Yes sir, I believe I can handle that. And if I can't, I'm sure I can give myself something to do to reign in my emotions. I don't plan on fighting you in front of your students and if I haven't taken much of your vitriol to heart so far, then I doubt I'll be taking any of it to heart now." Snape nodded, clearly pleased with his answer.

"I believe a trip to Diagon Alley is in order then. You're in need of an apprenticeship clothing before I can allow you anywhere near potions or the ingredients that make them. Have you made any plans I need to be aware of?"

"No I haven't, sir."

"Very well. If you need anything for our excursion to Diagon Alley, I suggest you grab it now." Harry hastened to his rooms to grab his money bag and his Gringotts key before meeting Snape at the entrance to the castle.

"A word of caution before we leave. You're to refer to me as Master Snape or sir while we are in public. People may give you odd looks at first, but that should stop once you're in proper attire."

"Yes sir. Anything else I should be aware of before we leave?"

"You can pay for regular clothing if you wish; however, anything that has my potions insignia on it will be paid for by myself. You absolutely cannot fight me on this, do I make myself clear?" Harry nodded and they set off for the apparation point in Hogsmeade. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.1K 1.6K 20
A very long time ago, Severus resigned himself to the reality that he doesn't have a soulmate after all. He's finally a real Defence Against the Dark...
351K 8.7K 25
harry is now in his 5th year at Hogwarts, he has always thought that the potions Master was attractive this year Harry was more obsessed with him Wh...
13K 429 8
Two years after the defeat of Lord Voldemort our favorite dark wizard has turned into the wizarding worlds number one bad boy. One night while search...
41.2K 756 13
⚠️SMUT⚠️U have never understood why Severus ur potions teacher has had a small liking to you ever since the start of six year he starts to grow on yo...