The Apothecary's Daughter

By tea-and-a-book

Emmeline Somers is the only daughter of the only apothecary in Abbotshire, England. After her father is left... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Epilogue

Chapter 27

7.3K 377 17
By tea-and-a-book

Emmeline looked at herself in the mirror once more, straightening out the skirt of her rust-colored muslin gown. Her hair was pulled back with a cream ribbon weaving through her chestnut locks. She dabbed some of her lavender perfume on her wrists and neck. It was not often that Emmeline was invited to these sorts of gatherings. She was still shaken by what Lady Margaret had said. She wished she was not so sensitive. Normally her resolve held firm, but lately she had felt like a feather dancing on the wind of insecurity. "This dinner will do me good, prove to everyone that I am not a simple country bumpkin." She chastised herself for even thinking such a thing. She grabbed her cloak and began the journey to Mooreland Park.

She drove the curricle down the familiar roads to the estate. The servants there were used to her driving herself, but she knew the circumstances of tonight were different. A proper dinner required a level of airs that she could not afford to put on. The wind from the road would give her cheeks a lovely rose color as she did not bother to put on rouge.

She arrived at Mooreland Park just as the sun was beginning to set. She saw Lady's Margaret's carriage pull up to the front of the house as Emmeline's curricle entered the gate. She let herself hope for a moment that the correspondence Lord Hargrave had sent Lydia was an invitation to dinner, just like the one she had received. Emmeline chastised herself for letting an unnecessary jealousy enter her mind. Emmeline was not privy to hold such rights.

A footman, Curtis she believed, helped Emmeline out of the curricle and quickly took her place in the driver's seat to take the horse to the barns. Emmeline took a deep breath and prayed that her hair had not fallen out of place during her journey. She steadied herself as she entered the house, her head held high.

A maid takes her cloak and leads her into the parlor. A footman announces her arrival. The crowd looks up politely, some nodding a hello. She observes the group Lord Hargrave had assembled. Lady Margaret and Lord Thomas were chatting away with the Coopers, another local family. Lydia and Lord Hargrave were deep in conversation with the Coopers' oldest daughter, Fiona and her husband. A young man she does not recognize rises instantly and walks over to her.

"So you are the infamous Miss. Emmy I've been hearing about for the past three days." He says jovially, "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." He bows deeply and kisses her hand dramatically, causing a blush to form on Emmeline's cheeks.

"And you must be silly Uncle Charlie who never visits." She laughs. Charles takes her arm and guides her to a nearby settee.

"So my reputation precedes me." He says with a laugh, "Although being the 'uncle who never visits is quite a rude statement'. You are very bold Miss. Somers to judge my character like that."

"You called me by my Christian name before we were even properly introduced. I believe bold is a better descriptor for your character."

"Now I see why my brother and niece are so fond of you. No one in this lot would dare say such a thing to the guest of honor so early on in the evening. Now I must know, what has the esteemed Lord Daniel been like since he's moved out here? He seems like a changed man."

Emmeline looks over to Daniel briefly. His focus on Lydia, who is telling an animated story about a time that she lost her bonnet in a shop in London. He's focused as he always is, giving the company he is with his full attention. He is more stoic than she was used to seeing him.

"He is a more relaxed man, that is for sure." She knew she could speak honestly with Charles. There was a level of trust that developed between them instantly. "When I first met him, he was very stoic and cold. After a few weeks, and with some gentle coaxing from Matilda he has come out of his shell."

"He seems happier." Charles says kindly. "Now tell me about the rest of the stodges in the room."

The pair have a genial conversation about the various couples throughout the room before the footman announces that dinner was served.

Emmeline follows the crowd into the dining room. She is pleasantly surprised to find herself seated between Charles and Mr. Cooper and nowhere near Lady Margaret.

"Before we begin, I believe a toast is in order." Daniel says, rising from his seat, "to my dear brother who has promised to be a greater presence here at our childhood home. May my daughter stop referring to him as 'Uncle Charlie who never visits' and become a proud member of Abbotshire's society. I hope you all will welcome him into your fold with open arms." A polite murmur spreads throughout the table and Charles wiggles his eyebrows at Emmeline as she suppresses a giggle.

~

Daniel tries to focus on the conversation with Lord Thomas and Miss. Lydia, but his eyes keep drifting to Miss. Somers and his brother. She had not stopped smiling since Charles introduced himself at the beginning of the night. He thought the pair would get along, and was happy to see his prediction was correct. He wished that he could know what Charles was saying that made her smile so. She looked a little sad when she first entered, and made no effort to speak to her friend Lydia. Daniel knew he was thinking too much of it. He had guests to entertain.

"Your daughter will start soon will she not?" Lady Margaret asks Daniel, removing him from his thoughts.

"She has a tutor that comes twice a week, and Miss. Somers has been gracious enough to teach her once a week." Daniel says methodically. He did not like where this conversation was going.

"But shouldn't she be receiving more regular lessons? We sent my Lydia off to The Barton Lodge for her education when she was but 8 years old, and she is quite accomplished is she not, my lord."

"Your daughter is quite accomplished, yes, but I do not feel that boarding school would be appropriate for my Matilda. She needs to be allowed to explore and learn her own way. Maybe when she is older I will reconsider, but right now I am quite satisfied with the work she does with her tutor and Miss. Somers." Daniel speaks in a level in cool tone. He looks at Emmeline as if to offer thanks, and an apology for the conversation that was sure to come.

"Ah yes, Miss. Somers is such a good nurse for the area, she has been educated in quite the unusual fashion." Lady Margaret looks directly to Emmeline, "You were educated by your mother, were you not? In the ways of a healer?"

"Until her passing, yes, then my father and another apothecary in London. It is how I make my living." Emmeline says quietly.

"Well Matilda speaks highly of you. She had me playing pretend potion maker with her yesterday, telling me all about the fairies." Charles says, giving Emmeline a reassuring look.

"How, quaint." Lady Margaret says.

"Gentlemen, won't you join me in the parlor for brandies?" Daniel says, putting an abrupt end to the conversation. The party rises, the women to a separate room for tea and cards, the men in the men's parlor for cigars and billiards.

"I must apologize, my lord." Emmeline catches Lord Hargrave before he joins the men, "but I must be on my way." She willed her voice not to crack as he looked at her, a look of true sincerity on his face, "The hour has grown late and I do not wish to drive my curricle home too far into the night. It is not the shortest ride and I am afraid I have grown tired." Daniel looked at her in earnest.

"Is that all that is troubling you Miss. Somers? I can have one of my men ride with you if you do not feel safe enough to ride."

"I am fine, my lord. I open the shop tomorrow and cannot afford to be tired." She says with a laugh, trying to seem stronger than she felt.

"Then I guess I must bid you goodnight."He replies, bowing slightly.

"Good night, my lord. I shall see you and Matilda on Wednesday." She curtsies and turns to leave.

"You would tell me." His voice catches as he walks over to her. He was close enough that smelled the familiar scent of lavender and chamomile that he was beginning to understand was uniquely hers. If anyone saw them, it would cause quite a scandal, but he cared not, "you would tell me if there was something troubling you?"

"I will be fine, my lord. Now you must return to your guests. It is quite improper for you to spend so long on a goodbye. I hope you have a pleasant end to your evening." Emmeline gulps.

"I bid you good night, Miss. Emmy." Emmeline blushes at the informality and takes her leave. She leaves with her heart heavy. There is only so much she can bear.

~

Hey y'all! Here's another installment for you! I am currently socially distancing and finishing my masters online instead of in person so I'm hoping to have more updates out for y'all during this crazy time.

As always, I really appreciate you taking the time to read this. Any feedback is welcome :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7M 303K 125
Falling into the fiery hell she created must've been the perfect way for her to die. The other woman would then become the heroine that saved the tow...
442K 24K 30
Hope Hillburn was born to a life of servitude and never once questioned her role in society. As a lady's maid to Noelle Parrish, she had everything s...
882K 44.3K 101
In Victorian England slums, the oldest and quietest girl of four trying to keep a roof over her family's head accepts a job with an odd staff and mys...
1.2M 67.3K 43
What is a proper young lady to do when she finds a stranger sleeping in her bed? Angelique Grafton doesn't know much about love. Resigned to marry th...