Despite It All

By elisemariel

[•2020 Readers' Choice Winner for Best Beginner's Story and Nominee for Best Overall Story•] Lauren Allert is... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Epilogue
Readers' Choice Awards Winner!

Chapter 30

11.2K 619 325
By elisemariel

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

A heavy arm rests against my chest, warm and snug. My back is pressed firmly against a solid torso, my bare skin prickling against a smattering of chest hair. Hot, steady breath wisps against my ear, its patterned rhythm slow and content. A smooth, silky blanket dances across my naked form with every breath, shielding me from the responsibilities of the day. The loud, pulsing beep of the alarm clock pierces its discontent for its prolonged efforts, each beep increasing in volume and intensity.

A deep groan vibrates against my neck, sending goosebumps down my spine.

"Mmm, you know... I don't hate my alarm as much when I wake up with you in my arms," Logan mutters in my ear, his voice groggy but deliciously sexy.

He squeezes me, pulling my body closer to his. I can feel his morning arousal pressing urgently on my back, and a quick glance at the clock causes me to frown—there's just not enough time. Stupid work.

"Ugh, I don't want to go to work!" I whine.

A chuckle resonates in the air, deep and playful. "I know, babe. But then what would all those awesome kids do without this beautiful, smart, selfless, sweet nurse to take care of them all day long?"

Logan pauses after each adjective to press his lips against my shoulder, my ear, my neck. His fingers trace circles around my left nipple, which is aching and pulled into a tight peak. The sensations draw a strangled groan from my throat, fueled by frustration. Last night I definitely had the best, most intense, satisfying sex of my whole life and here I am—just a few hours later—desperate for more.

I sigh, "Will I ever get enough of you?

"I hope not. Because I know I'll never get enough of you."

His admission provokes me enough to twist in his arms, desperate to face him. His earthy irises sparkle with happiness, his lips pulled into a content, soft smile. I place my hand on his cheek and my thumb grazes against coarse stubble, rugged and sexy. Morning breath be damned, my lips eagerly seek his, our kiss tender and thorough.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

"How about I make a quick breakfast while you shower?" Logan asks.

"You callin' me stinky?" I giggle.

"Yep," he kisses my forehead, "you smell like sex."

"Well so do you! You're literally one giant flesh dildo, all used up," I taunt.

Logan rolls his eyes and smirks, "Giant, huh?"

"That's really what you got from that? Men are unbelievable."

He laughs, our banter playful and sweet. Logan rolls out of bed and turns off that godforsaken alarm, and the view of him standing beside the bed in all of his naked glory stokes a fire deep in my gut.

I can't believe he's all mine.

I follow his path out of bed, motivation to move stirred by the now-stretching man before me. Feeling daring, I place a quick kiss to his lips before whispering, "What if I want to feel your come inside me all day long?"

Logan closes his eyes and sucks in a deep breath, taunted by my salacious words. His large hand finds my ass, squeezing it firmly, his gruff voice groaning, "Don't start something you can't finish, Lauren."

I sigh, knowing he's right. I rest my head lazily on his chest, smiling when his arms pull around me, encasing me in his hold. He rests his chin on my head, and each inhale fills me with his masculine, earthy scent. The moment feels so intimate and sweet, and I hesitate before pulling away. I really do need to get ready.

"I like bacon," I whisper against his chest, my finger poking his side.

He laughs lowly above me, "I'm surprised, considering you're such a weirdo."

"Whatever, you love it."

Our banter stops abruptly, halted by the meaningful word. Intensity hangs heavily in the air, my heart hammering in my chest. The sentiment is still so new, so fresh, so meaningful.

A slow, sweet smile.

"I do, so fucking much," Logan mutters before pulling me in for another searing kiss.

***

The smell of frying bacon fills the air, alluring and motivating as I pull up my compression socks. My quick but thorough shower was invigorating and honestly, quite necessary before my upcoming 12-hour shift. Dressed and ready for work, I exit Logan's bedroom to find him in the kitchen, frying bacon and making coffee.

"No shower for you?" I ask, noting he's already dressed in joggers and a long sleeve t-shirt.

"I figured I'd shower at the hospital when Mia first naps. Ashley texted me and said that she had a good night. I guess when she finally woke up from all the anesthesia, she was wired and stayed up most of the night. She's having a little pain, but not too bad, it seems. I'm sure she'll be zonked when I get there. Besides, I kind of get the feeling you don't get the chance to eat very often while you're at work. The least I can do is fuel you up with some breakfast."

"Mmm you're the best. I'm so glad to hear about Mia, too." I pour myself some coffee and open his refrigerator, seeking creamer.

"This coffee smells great. I hope it's strong. I usually drink shots of espresso in the morning," I chuckle.

"So you're telling me I should find us a good espresso machine?"

I raise an eyebrow at his words, a little surprised. What does he mean by that? Buy us an espresso machine? Don't read into it, Lauren. He just told you he loves you, not that he wants to marry you or have your babies. One day at a time.

Despite myself, I smile when I realize how easily I can picture the two of us doing this every morning. Waking up together, eating breakfast... it's so domestic, sweet, and normal. It's... everything I could ever want, with him. Simmering bacon and stolen kisses over the sounds of Mia giggling, maybe a baby monitor settled nicely on the kitchen counter—

Okay, psycho. Dial it back a bit. That's not you talking, that's your ovaries.

Bad ovaries, bad.

"I've always wanted an espresso machine," I admit.

Hot coffee travels down my throat, soothing and strong. "Mmm, you make good coffee. I think I'll keep you," I tease.

Logan smiles sweetly and passes me a plate of crispy bacon with toast. We share an affectionate kiss before digging into our food, realizing we are actually more pressed for time than we thought. We set our alarm especially early so we could visit Mia together before I start my shift, but we won't be able to do that unless we hurry. Luckily, Logan doesn't live too far from the hospital. Logan's home is moderately-sized but modern, nestled in a good neighborhood. It's clear that he has done well for himself, and I have to admit that his place blows my small apartment out of the water.

Logan's gaze lands upon mine and he shoots me a quick, endearing wink.

I'm happy I suggested bacon, because fuck I really needed something savory to balance out how fucking sweet Logan is.

***

Logan and I quietly walk into Mia's room, prepared to sneak a peek at her while she's sleeping. Serene, morning light maneuvers its way through pulled blinds, casting an angelic glow upon a sleeping Mia, sprawled and comfortable on the hospital bed. Her chest rises and falls in a peaceful rhythm, her sequined mermaid blanket sparkling under the hopeful sunlight. My heart swells at the sight, unbelievably pleased that she's using the blanket I bought for her. Her face is void of pain or discomfort, dark lashes resting easily upon her cheek, mouth slightly agape.

Ashley is busy packing her bag in attempted silence, the sounds of her shuffling items hushed by the quiet, steady pulsing of Mia's beeping monitor. Our entrance stirs her attention, and we're greeted with a soft, genuine smile.

"Hey guys," Ashley greets, "Mia will be so happy to see you both. Lauren, Mia talked about her sleepover with 'Ren' right up until the surgery. She had a great time. Thank you so much for being good to her."

Logan squeezes my hand as Ashley speaks, likely just as affected by the authenticity in her words as I am.

"It'd be hard not to be good to her, she's an incredible girl. You two have done so well," I respond honestly. I leave Logan's side to approach Mia, knowing I don't have much time before I need to clock-in for my shift.

I rest my hand lightly upon her exposed forearm and take a moment to examine her features, shrouded in peaceful slumber. She has Ashley's sweet, small button-nose, Logan's long, heavy eyelashes, his captivating green irises, and Logan's dark hair bouncing in Ashley's curls. Even asleep, her presence exudes purity and joy.

She's beautiful.

The harsh, unexpected beeping of her IV pump feels like a slap to reality, and an all-consuming dread manifests deep in my gut. Like a movie reel curated from my nightmares, visions of my former heartbreaks dance through my memories, painful and vivid. Apparitions of frail, fatigued patients vomiting up their mucosal lining form within my head, febrile and septic. I see my patients intubated on the PICU stretchers, splayed lifeless and swollen with modern medicine's feeble attempts to alter nature's intention.

Tears well in my eyes and I forcibly blink them back, unwilling to shed them in the room. Never in my life have I so vehemently wished to not know what I know...

She's got a long way to go.

Emotional, I place a soft, loving kiss upon Mia's forehead before turning to say bye to Logan and Ashley. "I can't stay, unfortunately. I'm working today," I force a soft chuckle, "I promise I don't just dress like this for fun," I say, pointing to my scrubs.

Ashley nods in understanding, "I'm heading out too, need to go into the office for a bit today."

Logan pulls me into his arms, quickly giving me a soft, sweet kiss. "Have a good shift, baby. Stop in if you ever get a moment. I love you."

"I will, babe. I love you too," I reply.

We pull apart to see Ashley with raised eyebrows, her features twisted in shock. She quickly regains her composure, happiness splaying across her face. "I knew it!" she squeals, clapping her hands together—somehow not stirring Mia from her slumber.

Logan rolls his eyes, "Yeah, yeah." Despite the annoyed tone of his voice, he's smiling, bashful.

Fuck, I love him so much.

My last-ditch alarm buzzes on my smartwatch, indicating to me that I really need to go, like right now. I steal one more kiss from Logan before waving goodbye to Ashley, shaking my head at her googly-eyes.

***

Animated conversation rustles around the nurses' station, voices heavy with emotion.

"Hey guys, what's everyone muttering about?" I ask my coworkers.

"Look at this," Betty indicates to me before handing me her phone. My eyes quickly flit across the already-opened email.

Esteemed Colleagues:

It has come to my attention that some members of our nursing staff have taken it upon themselves to express concerns about the motivations of hospital administrators during union negotiations. I am here to dispel these rumors and honestly, I find it extremely shameful that any of our employees would question the motives of those who compose the foundation upon which this institution sits. Your allegations regarding our personal characters are alarming and completely misrepresent what it means to be a nurse. Where is your compassion? Empathy? Ability to make judgments based on facts? To be frank, these allegations concern menot because I do not have faith in my fellow administratorsbut because now it is forcing us to re-examine the culture of care we have fostered in this vulnerable healthcare system.

So please, I implore you: Use common sense. Those in administration are here because of how much value we bring to the institution, our ability to make critical decisions during times of duress is what has brought us to this position, and we would never use our authority to undermine our own employees and mission statement.

As always, we thank you for your continued delivery of excellent care to our vulnerable patient population.

Respectfully,

Janet M. Smithers, MSN, RN, MBA

Chief Nursing Officer

The email does nothing but make my eyes roll.

"What spurred this on?" I ask.

Betty scoffs, "That's the interesting part. Apparently the Executive for Medical Affairs of the hospital just received a 38% pay increase. He's making 2.6 million dollars a year, now."

She scrolls through her phone, pulling up the news article—published late last night.

I close my eyes, horror settling uncomfortably in my stomach.

Disgusting.

"Meanwhile, the hospital claims it can barely afford to give us a 1% raise," Betty mocks. "Healthcare in America, am I right?"

I shake my head from side to side, incredulous. But I know she's right.

Fucking healthcare in America.

***

A/N:

I hope everyone is staying safe and well!

Any thoughts/concerns as Lauren continues to face these trying obstacles in her job?

She uh... went a little crazy picturing such a domestic future for her and Logan, huh? Any thoughts on that?

As always, thanks for reading! I was so happy to have so many comments last chapter (although I'm sure I know why that was...you naughty readers!) and I hope to continue that trend. Your comments make my day and I love getting to know you. It's also a great way for me to improve my writing, because any feedback you have is so important to me and my writing process.

If you enjoyed this chapter, vote for it by clicking that tiny star at the bottom of the screen. I appreciate it!

—Elise

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28K 2.6K 51
WRITTEN BY SOFIA VITORATOS ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 💡Fictionalized under true facts 💡 🛑*MATURE CONTENT*🛑 [PUBLISHING] 🏆1st Place in Chicklit by The...
2.8M 91.4K 66
**FREE STORY + paid bonus content** Can you fall in love with someone from the sound of their voice? No, that's silly... Eight years after losing her...
912K 47.3K 27
Flirting with a patient is fine . . . as long as it doesn't go further. . . . Sabine is a talented nurse starting her dream job when she meets her ne...
587K 17.3K 102
"If you want to try again, I've learned a few things since then and now I'm sure... I would make it so, so good for you..." Luke pulls back, a troubl...