The Boy Who Smelt Like Cigars

By sneakypenguin13

Newsies: A Racetrack Fan Fiction Brooklyn, a teenager from New Jersey runs away to New York City to find a jo... More

Chapter 1- Just Brooklyn
Chapter 2- Black Jack
Chapter 3- First Impressions
Chapter 4- Spot Conlon
Chapter 5- A Keeper
Chapter 6- Unreadable
Chapter 7- It Ain't Gonna Bite Ya
Chapter 8- Improving The Truth
Chapter 9- Tiny
Chapter 10- Fight Night
Chapter 11- Babysitter
Chapter 12- Visits From the Hero
Chapter 13- An Important Message
Chapter 14- Santa Fe
Chapter 15- So's The Bronx
Chapter 16- Loopy Limbs
Chapter 17- Genius, Right?
Chapter 18- Quite The Immagination
Chapter 19- Two Worlds Collide
Chapter 20- I Got A Secret
Chapter 21- In Charge
Chapter 22- Best Selling Partner
Chapter 23- Mischief
Chapter 24- Four Rounds of War
Chapter 25- Tell Me More
Chapter 26- Race's Bar
Chapter 27- Funerals
Chapter 28- So soon?
Chapter 29- All To Ruins
Chapter 30- Trouble and a Cowboy
Chapter 31- The Awaited Rescue
Chapter 32-Finale
Epilogue
Authors Note

Introduction

673 5 3
By sneakypenguin13

Characters:

Race:

Spot:

Jack

Skittery

Mush:

Blink:

Brooklyn:

....

Introduction

The year was 1898. I still was living on the streets Weehawken, New Jersey- Lemme get you some background before I start...

My dad was a factory worker and my mom did the best she could to keep our family together. They died when I was younger to TB. Ever since I could remember, it was just me and my siblings.

I had an older brother Pat and younger sister called Nella. Pat was good to Nella and me. He took care of us and always put us before his own needs. I haven't seen the two of them since maybe seven months ago.

I had just been fired from my work. The three of us were working on a Manor near the Hudson river. Nella and I were maids, Pat was the Master's apprentice.

You see, I was always a trouble maker and I liked having fun. Some of the adults just can't seem to understand that. I was messing around one day and not paying attention to the soup I was supposed to be cooking.

Long story short I caused a kitchen fire. I'd never seen my master and his wife so angry and shocked. That night, they made me sleep in the stable. But I got up halfway through the night and wandered back inside.

I overheard them talking. Saying how intelligent of a boy Pat was and how disciplined and behaved Nella was. But they said I was a handful. And they said they were gonna fire me and give me up to an all girls orphanage in the morning.

I absolutely was mortified. So I ran. I never looked back. I ran until I made it to Weehawken. I lived on the dangerous streets of the small city. I lived with my own bad decisions and guilt.

I used to sit in an alley behind a bakery. I would wait for 11 o'clock for each night to eat the scraps of whatever they didn't sell. It was a horrible way of living. It was boring and I lived in such sorrow. I missed Pat and Nella. And I felt awful for leaving without even a goodbye

One day, I snuck onto a small ferry boat. The boat was delivering goods to Manhattan, New York. I needed a change of scenery. Maybe even try to find work and make a living for myself.

Little did I know getting on that boat would be the best decision of my life.Which leads me to my story about my life as a newsie. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.4K 1.2K 17
**COMPLETE** "I didn't catch your name." "I didn't seem to drop it." Spot Conlon's rebelliou...
55.8K 996 20
in which the sister of spot conlon finds herself falling for a manhattan newsie who carries a cigar. ~~ [Racetrack Higgins x OC] ~~ Started: 3/27/202...
44.3K 1.1K 46
Racetrack Higgins, a Manhattan Newsie. Spot Conlon's best friend and crush, not that they would admit that they have crushes on each other. No one...
69.6K 1.9K 110
Racetrack Higgins was a normal Manhattan Newsie- more or less. He was Gay, but so were all of his brothers. He was Jack's Second in Command and had a...