Stay

By jhildey

Evie Jones was seemingly in tact. Her life was a representation of perfection. Niall Horan was seemingly self... More

Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
Authors Note - #BellLetsTalk
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
AN- TUMBLR
48
49
50
51
52
53
EPILOGUE
STAY - TUMBLR DRABBLE COLLECTION
Stay - EDITED NOVEL

6

74.4K 2.4K 1.1K
By jhildey

EVIE 

Campus was relatively busy for a Tuesday night. With no classes being offered at this time, it was hard to believe that this many people were out and about. The east court was busy with a sea of students. A group of guys stood in a semi circle laughing like a group of hyenas. Their obnoxious voices grow louder the closer I get. I internally cringe when I notice where they stood. “Of course,” I mutter to myself. They would be right in front of the pub. 

The closer I reached them, the louder their voices got. A thick aroma of drugstore brand cologne and a overused hair gel slowly came into my line of vision. I kept my head held high. Not needing to falter away from them and their stares. I wasn’t one to get nervous around the opposite sex. They didn’t usually bother me or make me quiver in my boots. Yet, I wasn’t overly cocky or confident around them either. Generally, I was neutral. Almost like one of the boys. At least, that’s what I liked to tell myself. 

“Evelyn Jones. Out on a Tuesday night? My eyes must be betraying me.” I stop in my tracks, knowing that voice from anywhere. Ryder stands amongst the group of obnoxious guys. His bright brown eyes watching me with sheer amusement. 

“It’s the end of the world as we know it.” I shrug, maneuvering my way past him and his group of friends. But much to my luck (or lack there of), he breaks away from them and cuts in front of me. “Just hanging out with the gal pals,” I sarcastically remark. 

I can hear their obnoxious snickering from behind him. My eyes rolling in response. “Which group of gal pals do I owe the pleasure of seeing you out on a Tuesday night? They must teach me their ways.” 

Pulling my coat closer to my body, I let out a puff of air. “Jessie Thompson and crew,” I inform him. 

“Didn’t know you were all friends.” 

“We’re team mates.” 

“Of course.” Tired by this conversation, I push past him once again. Yet, like he always did, Ryder pulled me back. 

“I’m late.” 

“Does the father know?” He smirks. 

This only results in an overdramatic eye roll and a huff of exasperated air. “He does. We’re having twins.” 

“Congratulations.”

“Appreciated.” 

Silence. A smirk slowly growing across his lips. “You never called me,” he says slowly, watching me intently. His head bowed, his breath fanning across my cheek. I bite my cheek, eyes trained on his hand that pushes a fallen piece of hair behind my ear. 

“Didn’t know I was supposed to,” I tell him slowly. My body still as his hand runs down my arm.   Ryder sticks his hands into the pockets of his peacoat. He leans against the wall of the pub, his legs crossing. 

“Usually when someone calls and leaves a message, the friendly thing is to return the call,” he smirks lightly. Humor laced within his words. I shrug, my fingers playing nimbly with the pockets of my coat. 

“Try again next time. Maybe I’ll even answer this time.” 

“I guess I’ll just have to do that.”

“Yep. Now, if you excuse me,” I nod towards the door, his body blocking my way. After a few more moments of staring, he finally steps to the side, allowing me access to the door. Finally. “Have a goodnight, Ryder.” 

“You too kid,” he chuckles. I rolled my eyes at the belittling nickname, not bothering to even comment. 

The pub is busy with stress-free university students. Groups are huddled throughout the pub. I push my way through, on hunt for a group of girls. The gal pals. There’s a billiards table in the middle of the pub. A group of guys are playing a game, drunken smiles plastered on each of their faces. Laughter is heard throughout the pub, fighting to be heard over the loud music being played. A classic 80’s rock hit plays from the old speakers. Nobody seemed to mind the noise, all too preoccupied with their glasses of beer and their drunken good time. 

Searching throughout the pub, I look for my group of “gal pals”. I had been dreading this. Going out on a Tuesday night was not my thing. I wasn’t a Tuesday night - get drunk - kind of girl. Granted, I wasn’t a go and get drunk any day of the week kind of girl in general. I was more of the stay home, drink wine and watch a movie kind of girl. It could clearly be confused with the other, but I thought my own idea of a “good time” surpassed it all. 

Walking through the crowds of people, I spot Jessie in the back. She’s seated at on a barstool circled around a high table. Three other girls from the team are seated with her, two of which hated me. Perfect

Jessie notices me and a grin on her lips. “Over here!” She shouts, motioning me over excitedly. Groaning internally, I make my way over. A fake smile plastered on my lips. “Hey,” she greets, wrapping me in a side hug. 

“Hello,” I smile, greeting her and the rest of the girls. Felicity, Sarah and Andie return my greeting. A fake smile playing on both Sarah and Andie’s lips. “Hope you weren’t here too long. Got held up outside.” 

“Not at all! Only a few minutes,” Felicity tells me. She was a nice girl. Quiet, but kind. I didn’t mind her too much. A great defense player. 

Sarah and Andie look down at me. Sinister smirks tugging on both of their lips. They both had this weird vendetta against me. Ever since I was named captain of the team, they had an out for me. Constantly bringing me down, back-talking and questioning my calls. It took everything that I had to not slap them or say something remotely bitchy. I wasn’t going to succumb to their ways - as much as I wanted to. Regardless of how I felt, I was still the captain. I had to withhold myself from childish antics - especially from 21-year old university students. 

“Surprised Grandma made it out tonight,” Sarah remarks. Her plump, red stained lips smirking. “Did take you for a drinker.” 

“Don’t know much about me, I guess,” I shrug. Brushing off her snide remark. Her sidekick giggles along with her. Pathetic, really. 

“Well, I don’t know about you girls but I’m ready for a drink. My stats class is killing me and I am ready to drown away my sorrows with a glass of something vodka and fruity.” Jessie clasps her hands together. A childish giggle escaping her. I smile along, her excitement rubbing off of me. 

“Only if we order some appetizers. Not drinking on an empty stomach,” Felicity remarks. Nodding along with her, I grab the menu. I hadn’t eaten much today and was in full agreement that drinking on an empty stomach was not a bright idea. 

A waiter stops by our table. His bright green eyes taking me by surprise. They were vibrant.. full of life. “Ladies, what can I get you?” 

Andie and Sarah giggle causing me to gag. They were so blatantly obvious, it was almost pathetic. However, the waiter doesn’t take notice, too preoccupied with writing down Jessie’s drink order. He goes around the table, writing down everything before his bright eyes fall on me. “And for you?” 

“I’ll have a sangria and...” I look down at the menu. Everything looking too delicious. My eyes and stomach was screaming to order everything on the menu, but my mind had the decency to tell them to shut up. “I’ll have a dozen of your hot wings. Honey garlic... and a side of yam fries. Chipotle sauce on the side, please.” 

“Coming right up,” he smiles, earning a gasp from tweedledee and tweedledum. 

Once he is gone, an awkward silence falls over the table. I play with the rings on my fingers, not knowing where to go from here. I wasn’t the best in situations like this. I had generally avoided hanging out with people who didn’t like me. It was healthy for the soul. Good for the mind. Negative energy was never okay. I’d rather surround myself with positive people... positive energy. 

“Wow Evie,” Sarah’s annoying voice pops up. I turn to face her, unamused written over my face. “That’s a lot of food.” 

I shrug, “Not really.” 

“Just saying... don’t think it’s good to eat that much. Especially since we have a game coming up soon. Probably best to watch your figure... stay in shape. Aren’t you on a sports scholarship? Seems to me that if you aren’t careful, you might lose it.” Andie chuckles along with her, their menacing eyes watching me carefully.  

“Don’t think I’d lose my scholarship over hot wings and yam fries. Unless, of course, the dean is a vegan. That might change things,” I reply, shrugging carelessly. 

“I’d be careful if I were you. You do look like you’ve put on a little bit around your face.” Andie remarks, her brows raised in surprise. 

Subconsciously, I bring my hand to my cheeks. They didn’t look bigger. Sure, I had gained a few pounds but I thought it wasn’t that noticeable. Mostly, I thought they were going to my boobs. Not my face. 

“Shut up Andie,” Jessie cuts in. “You look fine. Eat what you want... I actually envy you for it. I can’t eat too much. I’m a diabetic, so I envy people like you.” I smile, thanking her quietly, but it does nothing to settle my growing anxiety. 

Our food comes and so does our drinks. The sangria not nearly as strong as I had hoped it to be. With everything that had been happening over the past half hour, I was in desperate need of something strong. Something that would do the trick. The fruit filled wine glass not doing exactly the job. 

Excusing myself (from a conversation I wasn’t even a part of), I make my way over to the ladies room. Thankfully there was no line. I go to the first empty stall that I see, shutting the door carefully behind me. I lean against the door, my head pounding with a rising tension headache. 

“One more hour,” I say aloud. Encouraging myself to stay strong. These were my teammates. We had to be able to get along. Trust one another. But the way I saw it, that was the last thing that I needed or wanted right now.  

I run my fingers through my messy hair, hoping to relive some of my pent up tension. Finishing up, I flush the toilet. The sinks are empty as I walk out of the stall. Glancing up at the smudged mirror, I take in my appearance. Blue eyes look back at me. A head of messy blonde hair and pale skin. I study everything. My hands slowly creeping up to touch the side of my face. I turn my head, taking in my side profile. I move my head up and down, noticing the slight double chin. 

Where did you come from? 

I move my hand under my chin, pushing the skin back. My fingers running down my neck and towards my collarbone. As much as I hated to admit it, but maybe... just maybe... Sarah and Andie were right. I hadn’t been taking much notice in my appearance as of late, mostly focusing on schoolwork and my lacking social life. This caused my appearance to fall on the back burner. It wasn’t that I didn’t appreciate my appearance or my body. I thought that I was relatively attractive. Freak show’s weren’t going to be lining up at my door anytime soon begging me to become their next act. But I wasn’t Victoria Secret model worthy. I had my flaws, unfortunately. The perfectionist in me hating that most. 

All in all, I took pride in my body. But the more I thought about it, the more I began to realize that I hadn’t been taking much time in keeping myself up to shape. 

I’ll go for more jogs, I decide right then and there. Straightening my back, I let out a sigh. Tomorrow... I’ll start tomorrow. 

-

VOTE + COMMENT 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.9K 742 87
When Niall attends the FIFA Women's Final, his attention gets captured by one of the players. Patience has never been easy for Niall, but when he's...
67.3K 1.9K 51
After three years apart, circumstances keep bringing Niall and ChloƩ together. Can they work through their issues and find their way back together or...
17.8K 681 48
Blair Collins is a spunky 19-year-old who desires to follow her wildest dreams and live life to the fullest, alongside her best friend, Delaney. Afte...
113K 2.1K 28
So if we knew all along, why did it take so long? We've known it since we were young, so why did it take so long? *^*^*^* Friendship is a connectio...