The Coldest Summer✓

By Geegervy

"I'm a terrible dancer," I whisper. "And I guess the cowboy is much better than the city girl." My sarcasm is... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-two
Twenty-three
Twenty-four
Twenty-five
Twenty-six
Twenty-seven
Twenty-eight
Twenty-nine
Thirty
Thirty-one
Thirty-two
Thirty-three
Thirty-four
Thirty-five
Thirty-six
Thirty-seven
Thirty-eight
Thirty-nine
Forty
Forty-one
Forty-two
Forty-three
Forty-four
Forty-five
Forty-six
Forty-seven
Forty-eight
Forty-nine
Fifty
Fifty-one
Fifty-two
Fifty-three
Fifty-four
Fifty-five
Fifty-six
Fifty-seven
Fifty-eight
Fifty-nine
Sixty
Sixty-one
Sixty-two
Sixty-three
Sixty-five
Sixty-six
Sixty-seven
Sixty-eight
Epilogue

Sixty-four

3.8K 279 301
By Geegervy

As we leave Disneyland I'm happy I made a few terrific memories with my boyfriend. A wonderful date it was. Slowly, I drive off to Malibu beach, according to the address Liam's given me. It's such an A-list kind of place to live, and I can't picture myself driving in and out of it, everyday, as my home.

I end up laughing at the thought, and Liam gives me a quizzical look.

"What?" I giggle.

"That's my question." He sounds stunned and a bit confused. "What's funny?"

"Nothing, I'm just excited," I reply matter-of-factly, happiness oozing through the tone of my voice.

"That's good." Liam smiles fondly, his face as calm as the lake in the summer.

We go in a soothing silence, listening to 'Let her go' by Passenger playing in the car stereo. And I certainly can't believe that we're going house hunting at last. Okay, calm done, Kira Jones. Hands on the steering, my eyes drink the sight of calmness as we cruise through the posh neighborhood.

"I think this is the address," I urge, pulling over in front of a huge mansion that gives me nothing but Hollywood celebrity vibes.

"I think so," Liam replies. Slowly we scramble out of the car, as he makes a call right to the realtor. "Yes, we're here," he utters a moment later, and I'm busy scanning the surroundings.

Soft breeze blows, with the scent of the ocean that's not miles away from here. The tranquility is well felt as nature engulfs my spirit, so many trees and beautiful houses adorning the area.

At last the man emerges from the house, tall, lean, wearing glasses. "Mr. Darcy. I'm Derek Gibson, the realtor. Thanks for coming." He smiles warmly.

"Hello, Mr. Gibson," Liam replies in his classic manners, shaking hands with Derek. "I hope we didn't take too much of your time."

"Not really. Pleasure," says Derek.

"This is Kira. My girlfriend," Liam announces and I shake hands with Derek who smiles cordially, his signature courtesy, I fathom. "So, this is the house?" He glances up, taking in the details.

A giant two-story house stands before us. It's painted in creamy yellow, slightly classic in style.

"Yes, it's one of the three," Derek prompts. "Come, this way."

He leads us in, and I'm getting reluctant at each step we make. It's not my type, honestly. Inside is even so. A lavish foyer with a red carpet staircase, and the extravagant vintage chandelier dangling from the high ceiling like a grand ballroom.

"How many bedrooms?" Liam asks as I peek inside its kitchen.

Large and magnificent, with wood and granite doing wonders, the kitchen is awesome..

"Six, including the master," Derek answers, followed by other details that I don't pay much attention to as my heart refuses to warm up to this house.

We prowl around for a while, just checking around and dropping comments, until Derek decides to give us some space so we take a proper look. I'm grateful, that way I can criticize without a filter.

"You don't like it, do you?" Liam asks as we tour the master bedroom.

"I wonder if I'm an open book or something, but you've nailed it," I answer with a smile. "It's unnecessarily big and superficial. I'd prefer something simple and cozy."

"I see," says Liam, his gaze around the room.

"Nice bed, though," I comment, throwing myself into the plush king size, crushing against a soft and plump mattress.

"Oh, is it?" Liam joins me slowly, a playful gleam in his eyes.

"Am I seeing a five-years-old you?" I tease him when he bounces up and down. When he suddenly takes my mouth in his, butterflies flutter their wings in my stomach.. "Liam," I breathe, fully aware that I can't handle him without parting my legs.

"What?" he quizzes gently, I giggle. "Oh, Kira. You are not possibly thinking of doing what you're imagining, are you?"

"Shut up." I slip away from the bed, laughing at his dirty insinuation. Doing it here? "You ought to be shameless, Liam." I fix my blouse and smother the heat off my cheeks.

The truth remains that I don't like this one. It's more of a big, rich family house, and I'm pretty far from that. According to Derek, it belonged to some old Hollywood celebrity that I don't even know.

"So, what do you say?" Liam asks, staring at me expectantly as we head downstairs.

"I think we should head for another one," I reply.

"Okay," Liam quips, and Derek regards us instantly. "Let's see the others, we're not pleased with this. My girlfriend wants something simple and cozy."

"Of course." Derek smiles, no offense taken. "Let's go to another one."

In a few minutes we're sliding along the ocean road, listening to the howling breeze from the distance. Derek's car is right in front of us as we finally arrive at a very eye-catching waterfront house. My, my, oh my! I'm awestruck at the sight of the beach streaming into view, quite near this little house.

"This way," says Derek, leading us through the gate.

Surrounded by an electric fence, the security detail of the place seems modern and sophisticated—Liam's sole concern. I mentally roll my eyes. We slowly step in, my hand in Liam's. Everything is super calm.

"Liam, look," I snap gleefully, eyes on the well-mowed garden and something else that steals my breath away.

A treehouse! .

"Well . . . '' Liam frees a hearty laugh as I gallop toward a giant tree holding a little cottage. "I think she's found a home."

"It looks like it," Derek replies and I'm already a few steps away from them.

"Is it furnished inside?" I ask Derek, gazing up at the treehouse..

"Why don't you climb up and see for yourself?" Derek laughs along with Liam, and I'm already ascending the wooden ladder.

I just love the idea of having kids playing in the treehouse. It's such a magnanimous sight to imagine in my head right now. Oh, my little babies will be so happy running around, playing hide and seek . . . Hold your horses, Kira!

Kids? Where did that come from?

What am I thinking now?

Inside, the treehouse is scintillating. Bright green and pink, it has tiny chairs, a beanbag, and other childish stuff, together with random murals—probably drawn by the kids of the previous owners—and I can feel the spirit of happiness in the shapes drawn; a donut, cake, flower . . . I can't even tell.

"Enough, Kira," Liam says loudly, and I decide to get down.

Derek ushers us inside as we've been lost with the little garden outside for a while. I gasp aloud at the sight of its immaculately white walls and ceiling. I love white in a house, as weird as it may seem to others. With some colorful furnishing, it always makes a perfect combination.

It already has a white plush sofa, embellished with mint and baby pink pillows. A black coffee table made of rough wood is standing in the middle, coupled by a pair of turquoise wing chairs. The windows are bay and large, same as the French door leading to the main patio.

"How many rooms are there?" I ask, my heart beating ecstatically.

"Three," Derek answers and offers to show us around.

As expected, the master is splendid. It has a big and comfortable bed, a walk-in closet, and a modern bathroom. Its window overlooks the ocean. The ash-gray wooden floor makes it very sleek, and even so are the hanging flower pots with metal chains on the patio.

We advance into other rooms. They look pretty much okay: just medium sized, warm, and simple. And back downstairs, the living room is also as satisfying, and so is the open kitchen that's adjoined to the dining room. I love it. It's totally my style.

"As you can see, it's cozy and still new." Derek keeps explaining about how recently it has been renovated and all other details.

The mechanic of my brain is already calculating the rent and possibility that I can actually afford it if I try harder. Derek opens the side French doors, revealing a little swimming pool and the back of the treehouse.

This feels like a home already.

"Kira, what do you say?" Liam snaps me from my thoughts.

"Huh?" I realize Derek has already stepped outside, it's only me and my man.

"I think I love this place," Liam says, his voice pleased. "It's not too big, and it has the best qualities for a home, and there's a high security system, which is very important."

"I don't know, Liam." I puff out some air, feeling undecided.

"Why? I thought you liked it?" He stares at me, frowning. "Is it big? Are you afraid you won't be able to sleep at night?" he teases while cupping my face in a cheesy demeanor.

I giggle lightly. .

"I'm not sure I can afford paying for this place," I confess, taking my financial status into account. "I love it, yes, but it's a little too much for me."

"Kira." Stifling a laugh, Liam pulls me closer. "I wouldn't force you out of your house if I were going to make you incur more costs. I'm the one who wanted this, and I'm the one who'll take care of everything. We're having this house, because you like it, and I've seen that you do the moment you saw that treehouse."

"But . . ." I try to object, and he shuts me with a kiss that takes longer than needed.

"I'll go get Gibson. We're taking the house." Liam walks out without taking my response.

Sighing heavily, I amble around and stare at the ocean through the great window. I've never pictured myself living a luxurious life at a man's expense. This makes my tummy in knots. Liam and I have only met like . . . four weeks ago? And he's now paying for my accommodation, just because we're dating.

What if we break up?

But of course, you just had to think of a breakup! My subconscious curls her lips. Well, I can't help it. But then again, in case that happens, I'll just move back to a studio apartment, right? There's always a way to get out of situations, and I'm not that poor to be totally honest. I'm a working woman.

"You can take your time deciding, but if you're ready, I have the contract." I hear Derek's voice approaching.

"We'll just take the contract with us, and give you the call afterwards. But we're almost sure this is what we want," Liam answers coolly, and I take my time admiring his satisfying profile.

So gentle yet menacing. He's a peculiar man.

"Okay, I'll hand you the contract. It's in my car," Derek says, and our quest seems to be completed.

It's already dark when we return to the hotel. In bed after a shower, I begin to feel a slight contraction in my lower abdomen. Perhaps my period is around the clock, and it makes me sick already.

"Is everything okay?" Liam asks, concerns lacing his voice.

He sits next to where my head is.

"Yeah, just a bit of feminine emergency."

"What?"

"My period is near," I say, laughing at his puzzled look.

"Oh," he utters, "what a shame."

"What?" I nudge him, filling our shared laughter in the air.

"I'm just kidding, Kira. Are you in pain?" He turns serious, taking my head to his lap.

"Not exactly, just some minor discomfort that makes me hate being a woman sometimes."

I'm actually anticipating to see my period this time, thanks to that unprotected sex we had.

"You have a tampon?" Liam asks.

"Wow, Mr. Intense." I raise my head, impressed. "You're so well informed, huh?"

"Don't underestimate my intelligence, Kira," he brags.

"Sure." I roll my eyes. "And yes, I have one for emergencies."

"Good. Let's have dinner right here, and get you to sleep afterwards."

"Why do I feel five again?" I tease.

"Because I'll be your daddy tonight," Liam says, and I burst out laughing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

245K 15.8K 49
#620 teenfiction 21/4/2018 "If nothing last forever," he started in a satin smooth voice. "Then me and you are going to be nothing forever." A lump...
85.1K 2.7K 41
They both have broken pasts that used to shine with the love they felt, now though now it is different the only thing they feel is pain, sadness, and...
506K 13.6K 37
"Get away from me."I took her soft hands from my chest and pinned them on the wall.I closed the gap between us but our lips didn't meet.She looked in...
2.7K 141 57
A profound love between two people betting against all odds, would they be able to stand together? or let the fate decide... Synopsis: Two different...