The Coldest Summer✓

Galing kay Geegervy

"I'm a terrible dancer," I whisper. "And I guess the cowboy is much better than the city girl." My sarcasm is... Higit pa

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-two
Twenty-three
Twenty-four
Twenty-five
Twenty-six
Twenty-seven
Twenty-eight
Twenty-nine
Thirty
Thirty-one
Thirty-two
Thirty-three
Thirty-four
Thirty-five
Thirty-six
Thirty-seven
Thirty-eight
Thirty-nine
Forty
Forty-one
Forty-two
Forty-three
Forty-four
Forty-five
Forty-six
Forty-seven
Forty-eight
Forty-nine
Fifty
Fifty-one
Fifty-two
Fifty-three
Fifty-four
Fifty-five
Fifty-six
Fifty-seven
Fifty-eight
Fifty-nine
Sixty
Sixty-one
Sixty-three
Sixty-four
Sixty-five
Sixty-six
Sixty-seven
Sixty-eight
Epilogue

Sixty-two

3.6K 288 263
Galing kay Geegervy

"I was raised by Eleanor since I was three," Liam tells me in a low, memory-glazed voice. "My real mother—Alyssa—was an actress."

"Wow! An actress?" I smile weakly, amazed.

"A stage actress, to be precise. She performed in theaters all over Europe and America." Liam looks at me with a faint smile, his memories seemingly bittersweet. I only listen, a smile lingering on my face. "Because of that I had to stay with aunt Eleanor and her late husband, who's now father; for I don't really know who my real father is," he utters painfully, a furrow between his eyebrows.

How horrible. My poor Mr. Intense.

"And . . . and what else?" I'm eager to hear more about his biological mother.

"Nothing much," Liam says after a sigh, seemingly a bit disconcerted to talk about this matter. "That was the first vacation I spent with my mother. We went places, and it was also my first time visiting America as well. She was in a rush to reach San Francisco that day. She had a concert in a few days."

"Oh?" I smile and run my hand over his.

"You once asked if I was a fan of Shakespeare?" he asks with a playful smile, taking me back to some moment in Montana—right inside his home library. I nod my head. "Well, I'm not quite fond of his works, but my mother was. I recall reading those books because I heard they were his favorite reads."

Right. Now I get it.

"But you've also taken your liking to him, no?" I try to ease the friction. Liam laughs, and slowly urges me to move back to his side, which I relent like a child.

"You're crazy," he utters.

That I am.

"You miss her a lot, don't you?" asks softly, and he holds me tightly, kissing my hair.

"Sometimes I do," Liam answers. "But I can't complain. After all, I still have an amazing woman for a mother and it's like life gave me two mothers from the very beginning." His eyes gleam. "I also had Charles Darcy for a father, and he took care of me like his own son, which I'm forever grateful."

"Indeed, Liam. If you think about it, you have so many reasons to be grateful and happy," I tell him.

We talk and talk for more than an hour, cuddling up on the floor with our backs against the bed. He tells me more about his vacation and how happy he was, and my smile resumes full time knowing he learned to swim for the first time during that trip.

Finally we decide to get up and go see Mrs. Eleanor. I quickly get myself ready and slip into a pair of flats while I fix my hair, then I apply a little concealer to cover the terrible after-crying look on my face.

We take my Old-Benny, and slide on the road to Beverly Hills. In less than half an hour, I pull over outside Four Seasons Hotel, and stay put for a while. Mr. Intense stares at me, with a mixture of incredulity and a little bit of joy, and then asks if I'm okay.

I just smile and whisper, "More than okay. Shall we?"

"Hmm," he hums softly.

Every second that goes by, my heart pace keeps accelerating. I wonder how Eleanor will take this. Will she be happy? Or mortified from the fact that I'm the new trigger for their old scars to manifest the pain they'd rather forget? I'm undecided for now, and a little scared.

I feel Liam's hand taking mine, and a reassuring smile from his lips tells me it's going to be fine. "Stop thinking whatever you're thinking," he says as we approach the door.

He needs to stop reading my mind.

I flush. "Okay."

"And I don't have superpowers, Ms. Jones. I can just imagine your thoughts from several features of your body." His smile is cajoling now.

"Get out of my head, Mr. Darcy," I snap, and we both laugh.

Liam rings the doorbell as we reach Eleanor's room. A very unique perfume scent engulfs my nostrils and my fairy godmother steps out when the door flings open.

My breath hitches and my hand tightens in Liam's.

"Liam, I thought—" Eleanor starts but immediately holds her horses at the sight of us two holding hands. "Kira?" Her bright smile appears.

"Hi." I smile back.

The sight of her dark hair framing her face reminds me of the woman in the car. I gulp. They look so much alike, even if my memory isn't as clear as an HD resolution. Identical twins indeed. And when she pulls me into a hug, I break into tears once again.

"Kira," she whispers, confounded.

"I . . . I'm happy to see you." I pull back with a bittersweet smile that makes her frown a bit. "How are you?" I sniff.

"I'm fine, but I can't say the same about you." She inspects me carefully and a small frown flints across her face. Confused, she lifts her eyes at Liam. "What's going on? Are you two fighting again?" she scolds us.

Liam sighs tiredly and says, "Why don't we go in first?"

We go inside and a little reign of silence takes place.

"Tell me what's going on already," cries Eleanor. "Because I can't stand this suspense any longer.

"Kira is the other survivor of the accident," Liam tells her casually. She winces back with squinted eyes. "The same accident that killed Mother," he adds, and now it's a clear picture as Eleanor's eyes go wide with horror.

"What?" she gasps.

"Her parents died as well, so—" Liam pauses to catch a breath, or to fight away the tears; I can't tell.

With everyone looking subdued, he finally gives out more details and it's a real shock for my mother-in-law. Her eyes find me and that glow of glee is suddenly replaced with inexplicable touch.

"Okay," she breathes. "So let me hear this calmly. You, Kira, are the little girl that my Liam tried so hard to see before we flew back to England, right? It was you who lost your parents together with my sister? You're that girl he saved?" She stares directly into my eyes, and I only shake my head to affirm.

"Wait, I tried to look for her?" Liam interjects, and it seems like there's a memory gap, and his parents chose to conceal it.

"Yes, Liam." Eleanor looks up at him.

"Mother, why did you hide it from me?" Liam gets up frantically. "You don't know how hard I've tried to understand who that girl is. I had countless nightmares of her, wondering who she is and how it all happened. I tried so hard to put the pieces together but—"

"What was the point, honey?" Eleanor cries, agitated. "You were devastated and I thought I was going to lose you too. You hardly talked to anyone in months, and I couldn't take another blow that was going to confuse you even more, Liam. And also, how would I know that you had those kinds of recollections when you had those nightmares? You always hide everything that troubles you, Liam Darcy. Always." She's very hurt from the sound of her voice.

Liam frowns and says, "Even so. You could have told me about her."

"Liam, please," I step in, "let's not argue anymore. It's enough. We're all here and everything is out in the light, so don't start complicating the past."

Liam exhales heavily, his eyes dark and clouded with old pain. "Okay, I'll be outside. I'll leave you two alone," he says gently and takes his leave.

Eleanor and I share a sad look, full aware that he's more hurt than any of us. He's frustrated that he can't remember everything, and even pained that he can't seem to forget everything either.

"Kira." Eleanor faces me anxiously after a short moment. "I'm sorry about that. I really am."

"I don't think you need to apologize for anything, Eleanor," I reply.

"No." She seems confused, and then sighs audibly. "So, you're the one who shared that horror with my Liam?" she asks me again, tears in her eyes.

I let out an affirmative nod. "I don't know what to say myself, because it's quite unbelievable."

"God," Eleanor cries and laughs at the same time, and I think I understand. "I'm startled, that's all. I don't know what to say. I'm just too sorry and too happy for you two. I don't know what they call this, but it's more like fate, or destiny, I don't know." She huffs a laugh.

I watch her pull the tissue from the table before blowing her nose. She then smiles at me, and I do the same.

"It must've been hard, huh?" Eleanor asks tenderly.

"Yes, I can't say it was easy, but here I am." I shrug with a little optimistic smile on my face. "I guess, I grew up well, and that's all that matters."

"Of course you grew up well." She laughs and stares at me so intently before fixing the strands of my curls, like a loving mother would. "Forgive me for leaving without considering your situation back then."

"What are you talking about? You had no obligation to do that. I couldn't even remember about little Liam until recently, so you don't need to dwell."

Eleanor sighs deeply. "When Liam opened his eyes two days after the accident, he screamed the word 'Mom' like crazy," she says in a very calm voice while staring into space. "It broke my heart, because I could feel the pain a twelve-years boy could possibly have from witnessing the horrible death of his mother."

My chest tightens. "I can imagine."

"So I said I'll try to be a mother to him; the mother I always wished to be. I promised to do everything to make sure he doesn't lack the love my sister could've possibly given him," she adds, and tears roll down her beautiful face.

"And you are, Eleanor." I hold her soft hands. "The best mom anyone could wish for."

"Thanks, dear." She places her free hand on mine, her touch soft and warm. "It's just . . . at times, I couldn't stop thinking of the other child, you. I would wonder how you lived whenever I'd see Liam isolating himself from the world. I'm not sure if I was selfish or not, but I kept convincing myself that you're probably with your relatives. Charlie and I went to San Francisco, about five years later, and I couldn't sit still. I wanted to know. I just felt the need to."

"You did?" My moist eyes widen.

"Yes, but unfortunately the hospital had closed down from the fire, and there was no record either."

"Yes, that's exactly what I learned when I tried to dig about the accident myself," I tell her.

"Right." She sniffs again and sighs. "It somehow refused to set me free, and I couldn't understand why. Maybe I wished I was bold enough to take action from the very beginning. Maybe you wouldn't have to grow up in the orphanage like—"

"Eleanor." I have to stop her mourning, because she's starting to condemn herself for nothing. "Don't worry, I'm not complaining," I say with a smile.

And damn, that would've made me and Liam step siblings! Hell no.

But frankly, this makes me feel like I wasn't alone at all. I had no idea there were people miles away thinking and dreaming of me.

It feels good.

"Take care of him, Kira," Eleanor says beseechingly. "He won't show it, but I know he's still mourning. I hope you two can heal each other now; only you two can do it."

"I will, Eleanor. I'll do all I possibly can to make us forget that night." I hope I can.

"I know it's been hard for you, especially without a family you can count on, but I'm glad you've turned into a fine woman." She pats my hair once again, her smile so tender and caring. "And you're also my child now. You're now part of my family, don't forget that."

I don't repress the urge to hug her. There, I finally found the mom I subconsciously needed.

Liam returns and clears his throat. "I think you should let her rest a bit, Mother," he says, and both of us shoot him a glare. "What? Am I interrupting something?" He looks totally clueless, and we can't refrain ourselves from laughing.

"No, you're not," I answer.

"Okay, son, I'll let your girlfriend rest." Smiling, Eleanor gets up while wiping her tears delicately.

"You better hurry, because your flight is in five hours," Liam reminds her.

"Oh God! Yes. How did I forget that?" Eleanor grumbles and disappointment sears through me that she's leaving so soon. "Well, I need to see a friend of mine and I don't have much time." She glances at her shiny watch and sigh.

"Do you really have to go?" I ask her.

"Yes, dear. How I'd love to be here for a little longer! But I have some business matters to attend to and the last thing I want is third-wheeling." Her playful smile turns my cheeks hot.

"Okay," I acquiesce.

Eleanor jogs towards the bathroom, and returns some minutes later, all retouched.

"I'll leave you two for a while." She reaches for her purse. "Take care, huh? And no more crying." She rushes out in a frenzy, leaving us with a brighter smile.

My attention returns to my handsome boyfriend.

"How are you?" Liam sits on the armrest of the sofa, automatically taking me into his arms.

"Good." I wrap my arms around his waist, leaning my head onto his stomach.

"It'll be fine, okay?" he breathes, his fingers running smoothly through my curls.

I have no doubt, as long as you're with me.

"Hmm. But I'm starving," I utter dryly, and for once Liam laughs delightfully.

He wipes the remaining tears in my eyes. I smile up at Liam, and his lips find mine once again until I start feeling hot. Good lord, were in Eleanor's room. I pull out quickly, and Liam laughs wittingly.

"I love you, Kira Jones," he says deeply.

"And I you," I return in his charming accent. 

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

384K 15.9K 39
When Kira, a young heiress is invited to a frat party, the shy socialite reluctantly accepts. A few drinks too many lands her in the arms of Billiona...
1.1K 111 40
"What?" He asked, pulling me from my daydream again. I chuckled, biting my lip again. "Are you thinking about me naked?" He asked jokingly. I blushed...
5.5K 43 19
After being caught, tried and arrested for a crime she didn't do; Lexi Hunter has a choice. It's either Juvie or spend the summer on her dad's ranch...
8.3K 419 40
"The things I could make you feel" He whispered as he delicately tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear that must have come out of the loose bun wh...