The Model's Bodyguard (Romant...

By JasmineDahlia

Supermodel Mila Belvedere never expected her predictable life of fame, photo shoots, and flashing lights to t... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Photo Shoot
Chapter 2 - Stupid Paparazzi
Chapter 3 - An Unpleasant Encounter
Chapter 3 - An Unpleasant Encounter (Francisco's POV)
Chapter 4 - Bodyguard Handbook
Chapter 5 - In The Dark
Chapter 6 - Always Hope
Chapter 7 - Have Fun Waiting
Chapter 8 - Look At My Masterpiece
Chapter 9 - Wake Up
Chapter 10 - Postman
Chapter 11 - The Range
Chapter 13 - Of Many Firsts
Chapter 14 - Human Moments
Chapter 15 - Full Control
Chapter 16 - Tuned Senses
Chapter 17 - Blue Obsidian
Chapter 18 - Morning Vigor
Chapter 19 - Common Sins
Chapter 20 - All Bark, No Bite
Chapter 21 - Pure Instinct
Chapter 22 - Heaven and Hell
Chapter 23 - Boundaries
Chapter 24 - Better
Chapter 25 - Promises
Chapter 26 - Time
Chapter 27 - Gesture
Chapter 28 - Nerves
Epilogue

Chapter 12 - Autumn Photographs

72.4K 2K 298
By JasmineDahlia

Happy Halloween, lovelies! That is, to those who celebrate the holiday. :D Anyway, here's a new chapter! Obviously. *eye roll* I really hope you enjoy it and let me know by the comments down below. Please fan and vote if you did indeed like it. Thank you. (:

Laters, baby! :D <3 

_________________________________________________________________________

~Three Weeks Later~

I stared outside my bedroom window, overwhelmed by the change of colors that was autumn as it touched every inch of Central Park. It was a flawless cape of enchantment known as New York City in the fall.

Autumn was my mother’s favorite season. She loved the way the bright green leaves faded into the earthy tones of red, orange, and yellow. She thought the breezy chill of the wind as it cooled your bones was pure perfection, for it was not the teeth-shattering and freezing temperatures of winter. It was ‘just right’, she’d say. And now I was faced with the dilemma of bringing autumn to her as she lay sick in bed. I wanted to let her know that I , too, could see the magic she saw during this time; that my value for autumn was not solely based on my affections toward the limited seasonal release of pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks. 

As I searched my mind, inspiration hit. Pictures. Beautiful pictures of Central Park from up close. If my mom couldn’t see the park for herself then I’d bring it to her in a set of photographs from the vintage polaroid she had gotten me on my nineteenth birthday. They’d be ready for her to see on the spot. 

Driven with the feeling of determination and bright with inspiration, I went to my closet where I dressed sensibly in some autumn clothing consisting of a blouse and jeans, a coat, boots, and a scarf. All I had left to do was tell Cisco of my plans and hope he’d approve of them, otherwise the enlightened mood would dampen considerably. 

I walked out of my room and to the living room where I knew Cisco would be sprawled, cup of coffee in hand. But when I looked at the couch I saw that he was not indeed sprawled over it. Instead he, too, was involved in the art of looking out windows as I had been just a minute before. Autumn was infectious. Cisco stood by the window, sipping some coffee and looking too perfect for his own good. He wore a gray knit sweater that hugged his athletically fit form and added a hint of domesticity that had never been there when he wore his leather jacket and white t-shirt; he had seemed too rugged and lethal. The sweater was cut in a V shape at the neck that deliciously exhibited his collar bone and the sculpted muscles of his upper chest. Pants and simple pair of black boots completed the look. Even the simplicity of his clothing added to how raw and alluring Cisco was as a man.

It was almost sinful to watch him, as if I were baring witness to something too powerful; as if I were watching an exotic film. My face flushed at the thought and I forced myself to keep a natural facade. Cisco looked at me, knowing that I was present in the room and his deep, calm eyes were all I needed to be fully awake. 

“Good morning.” I greeted, needing the distraction. I could feel Cisco watching me, noting that I was wearing outdoor clothing and wondering what I had in mind. 

His lips slid upward in a half grin as he greeted me. “Morning.”

“It’s a beautiful day outside, isn’t it?” I said, walking to stand beside him and look out the same window. “Autumn is beautiful.” I added, more to myself than anyone, and looked out at the sidewalk, glowing with fallen leaves. People strolled gingerly down those sidewalks, marveling at the natural beauty around them.

“It is, in my opinion, the best season for New York.” Cisco said solemnly, his voice thick as honey and causing me to look away from the civilians toward him. He was watching me with those lazy eyes, weighing me down with their strength.

“Just as my mom does,” I said, giving him a small smile. Cisco smiled softly and his hand moved to my face before I could realize it. He took a loose strand of hair and tucked it behind my ear, the sensations of his fingertips as they grazed over my cheek leaving me to shiver. His hand fell back to its normal resting place and it was as if nothing had happened; in reality, nothing had. Cisco took a sip of his coffee and I took it as an opportunity to speak, “I want to go to Central Park.”

He put the cup down and looked at me with a risen eyebrow, surprised at the sudden turn of topic. I didn’t let myself falter. “I want to take a few good pictures of the park and bring them to my mom so that she can see them. She’s missing out on her favorite season and I don’t want her to. It’s beautiful outside. I thought she might as well catch a glimpse, even if it is only in photographs. Are you willing to come with me?” I asked.

Cisco’s eyes changed, surprised that I hadn’t just demanded him to. It was true. It was his job to follow me around everywhere I ent as he protected me but I felt wrong taking advantage of it. I respected his decisions just as I respected mine. If he wasn’t willing to come with me then I’d find a way to go by myself. 

His eyes softened as I waited for his answer. “Of course.” He said.

“Good. I’ll go say good morning to my mom before we leave. We’ll have to be quick though since there’s no one with her.” Already I was starting to panic at my own words. I had forgotten to consider the fact that leaving to the park would mean leaving my mom alone. She had been by herself for short whiles when I was out and no one else present and she didn’t mind. She’d say she ‘valued the solitude’ and I would shake my head. What if something were to happen to her while I was gone? What then? She’d say to stay positive, to live life to the fullest. And that she knew how to operate a phone.

“I know. She’ll most probably sleep through the time we’re gone.” I nodded at his words and turned to walk to my mom’s room. I softly thudded my fist against the door in warning and slowly creaked it open. 

“Mom?” I called, entering the room. There was a short moment of silence.

“Hi, honey.” She greeted from her bed, her voice a thin, fading remnant of the vibrant tone she used to possess. It broke my heart to see her like this. She was, in every sense of the word, fading. Even more so as the days etched by. But I still remained faithful that she would recover. She had to recover.

“Good morning. How was your night?” I asked, going to her and taking a seat beside her on the bed. She gave me a ghostly smile that somehow didn’t fail to light up her pale features.

“Lovely. I dreamt about you and your father. Back when you were months old and he’d rock you to sleep by the fire place.” She smiled, truly recalling happy memories that I’d never know. I could see the love in her eyes as she spoke about the man she loved, the days she missed. I wish I had more memories with him because the ones I did have were beautiful.

I smiled lovingly at her and held her hand, frail and cold against mine, hoping that maybe I could warm the thin skin covering her bones with the heat of mine. “If only I could remember those moments.” 

Her eyes were wistful as she smiled and said, “I miss him so much.” Then they became clouded with the moisture of tears. One fell down her cheek and I felt my eyes water, too. 

“No, no. Don’t cry.” I said, agony in my voice. I wiped her tear away and moved to kiss her cheek then gently squeeze her hand in reassurance. 

“I’m not sad, honey. Don’t worry about me.” She looked into my eyes, telling me to be strong for her. Was there a double meaning in those wide brown irises or had I imagined it? “We’ll be together soon,” She whispered and I felt that sharp sting of pain clench my chest as it did every time she mentioned... leaving. A part of me understood her. She wanted to be with the man she loved, with my father. But I knew she was strong enough to stay on this earth and live; she was strong enough to stay on this earth and be with me. Was that selfish of me? Yes, yes it was. 

“Don’t talk like that,” I said, her eyes closed in weak defeat and when she opened them, she willed a smile. 

“I know, honey. I’m sorry. Just know that no matter what, I will always be with you. I will always love you. And I will always be your mommy. Do you know that?” She said tenderly, her words filled with love as she looked into my eyes. I knew that my answer would mean the world to her. 

“I know, mom. I’ll always love you, too.” I said, taking both her hands into mine and giving them a kiss. When she remained quiet I took it as a chance to speak. “I was thinking of heading over to Central Park with Cisco for a few minutes to get you a little something.” I said, smiling brightly at her and giving her a wink. My mom chuckled quietly and grinned, her eyes shining.

“What little something would that be, Mila?” She asked.

“Oh, you know. A little something. A little surprise something.” She chuckled again and shook her head in good natured disbelief. “Would you be okay by yourself? I won’t even take an hour. And I-”

“Of course I’ll be okay by myself, sweetie. I’m a grown woman after all.” My mom rolled her eyes and I had to laugh.

“Yes, you are. Just remember, call me with your cell phone if anything happens or you feel ill. Just call.” I said, taking her phone from the beside table and laying it on her lap for emphasis. 

She nodded exaggeratively and grasped the phone. “I-” My mom started to cough, cutting her sentence off mid-way, and just like every time I heard the evidence of her lung cancer, my stomach clenched and pain hit my chest. She shook of the coughs and continued where she left off, smiling weakly,  “I know pretty damn well how to use a phone, hun. No worries.” 

“Good.” I grinned, the smile not reaching my eyes. “Well, I should go now before the morning starts to fade. Might as well take advantage of the opportunity since I hardly ever wake up to see them.” I joked and my mother and I laughed in unison. She nodded her head, emphasizing the truth of my words. Yes, I valued slumber, and what?

I stood up from the bed and still held my mom’s hands. Bending down, I kissed her forehead and said, “I love you, mom. See you later.”  

“Love you too, baby. See you.” She smiled and moved to kiss my cheek. Her lips were so cold.

I wasn’t able to leave the room before a knocking sound stopped me. “Come in.” I called, knowing it was Cisco. His dark head of hair and handsome face looked in from hallway before walking in. The room suddenly shifted, becoming heated and still for me. I could feel him, sense him, for I knew that if my eyes had been closed and he suddenly appeared, I would be fully aware of his presence and masculine aura. As I was now. The elegant yellow and white room that belonged to my mother was now different, adorned by the essence only a man could give.

I forced myself to breathe in calmly and appear nonchalant. I didn’t know why I reacted this way,  for it left me baffled, but I’d have to deal with it and learn to adjust for as long as he was around. Cisco looked at me and nodded in acknowledgement then confidently walked to stand beside me and my mother. “Good morning, Josephine.” He smiled warmly but there was something in Cisco’s eyes I couldn’t describe. They looked serenely at my mother, studying her in one quick glance. A fleeting cape of emotion touched them and just as quickly as it came, it was gone. It had all been to quick for me to analyze. 

“Morning, Francisco.” My mom smiled softly, the vibrance she usually wore when she greeted Cisco seemed absent. Today wasn’t her best day, it seemed, and that was perfectly understandable. Cisco seemed to notice. 

“Did Mila tell you of her plans?” He asked her, looking at me with assertive eyes to see if I hadn’t bailed on myself simply because I was over worrying. I rolled my eyes at him and I could see the twinkle of mischief in his dark eyes.

“Oh, she told me what she wanted to tell me of her plans-” My mother started to cough and I almost groaned aloud from the agonizing frustration. She once again shook it off and continued, “Everything except the surprise she had planned for me.” She grinned, seemingly unaffected by the coughing fit. Somehow I didn’t find that comforting.

“If a little surprise can keep the both of you enthusiastic,” Cisco threw his hands upward in a by-all-means-continue gesture. “I won’t be stopping you.” He half-grinned, the look much too sexy.

My mom chuckled. “Alright then, you two. Go. Have fun. Be safe.” She said, waving us out with her delicate hands. 

***

We strolled down the paths of central park, Cisco’s arm locked protectively around my waist, and I was tucked snuggly into the side of his body, absorbing as much of his emanating body heat as I could. He had so much of it, his strong male body, skin, and muscles keeping him warm and comfortable. I, on the other hand, was verging on the edge of freezing. My fingers were numb and my nose was, too. It was a wonder I hadn’t begun to shiver yet.

We walked on and my mind lingered. I allowed my imagination to run freely for a brief second but regretted it as quickly as I did. Imagine, Mila, that he isn’t your bodyguard. And his arm is wrapped around you in affection. I almost scoffed aloud at my stupidity. You just couldn’t let go of your mind for even a minute, for it decided to think things like that. 

Overall the park was not so crowded, of course there were people, for this was Manhattan but it was not overflowing. Whoever was here would’ve easily thought us to be a young couple in love. Little did they know they were dead wrong. But that wasn’t the only way we fooled them. Cisco did not let them know that the significance of his arm around my waist was lethal. His tranquil eyes seemed to say, “Touch her and I’ll kill you.” And they weren’t bluffing. Francisco Medina was a bodyguard. My bodyguard. A bodyguard who would stop at nothing to fulfill his duty and protect his employer even if it costed him his own life and blood. And above all, he was a man. A man you had to take seriously; a man with whom you could never let your guard down. I could not leave my guard down with him. He was a snake with dark eyes: silent, evasive, cunning, quick, and deadly. He watched all around him, ready to strike the enemy. 

Bottom line, I couldn’t let him get too close. Cisco was... himself. Two months with him and he was already too normal. Too much like home. How would it be without him when his duty as my bodyguard was fulfilled? Would life go on as if we had never met? I didn’t know.

We continued moving through the autumn wonderland. There were trees of gold, mahogany, and copper, shining in the pale light that seeped in from above them. Leaves of the same colors were scattered over the benches, trash cans, bridges, stands, and pathways. They were ever present and everywhere. It was such a display of natural beauty everywhere you looked that sometimes you had to give up, knowing that capturing everything would be impossible. Your camera would explode! 

For a moment more I just strolled with him, increasingly cold, camera and polaroid pictures in hand. I looked down at the fourteen images I had taken so far of the park, beauty in every single one of them. My mother would certainly adore them and a smile, flawless and strong, would form on her face. I’d smile simply because she had; because I’d done something to make her happy. 

“Let me take a picture of you.” Cisco said, taking me out of my thoughts. I looked up at him to see he had been watching me as I flipped through the images

“I’d much rather keep moving. The exercise gives me warmth.” I said honestly. The cold chill was too much now, making me feel uncomfortable. I should’ve worn more layers of clothing, for I easily became cold. 

Cisco rolled his eyes. “Come on. You need at least one, Mila. I know your mom would value those a thousand times more than images of anything else.” He had meant it, I was sure, and a part of me knew it was true.

I shrugged. “Fine. But be quick! I’m freezing.” I said, shivers beginning to rack my body slowly. Cisco looked at the area surrounding us, found it controlled, and lifted the camera to his face. I smiled for it and heard the snapping of the picture being taken. He slid it out of the camera and flipped it in the air so that the image would dry then looked at it. He came to me in three long steps, his eyes glimmering. 

“You look pretty. Look.” He said and gave me the image so that I’d see it. I was, as expected, there. I nodded and gave it back so that I could rub my hands together and hope that friction would warm my frozen bones at least a bit. 

“You should’ve worn mittens.” I heard Cisco mumble. I looked up, my eyebrows furrowed in confusion, but before I could ask what he meant, Cisco took both of my hands in his. Pale white shone brightly against smooth caramel. His hands took mine and fully enveloped them, leaving enough space to wrap around another pair, and solely his touch gave me the warmth I needed. I almost flinched from the singing sensation in my blood. My blood had been frozen seconds before but now it was dancing freely in my veins and dusting my cheeks. I looked up into his eyes and slowly breathed out, the air I had held in from the surprise bottling up in my lungs and escaping as frost. His lip twitched with a sultry smile but it never appeared. Instead he started to rapidly rub his hands against mine and the heat was unbelievable, so perfect. It was his heat. Our heat.

“Warmer?” He asked, his voice a hoarse whisper that tickled my spine.

I breathed in. “Just a little.” 

He grinned, his eyes dark and smooth. He raised our hands and I could envision what he was going to do. I wasn’t shivering anymore. I was too aroused and heated to feel anything but fire. His mouth was on my hands, blowing out into my skin with his hot breath. My heart was about to explode into a million pieces. I could barely even think coherently. 

“How about now?” He asked, the sly smirk becoming evident.

“Just toasty.” I managed to say, choosing to keep whatever was left of my composure and not let him have the rest just as he wanted to. I was the one to take my hands out of the protective shell of his and I knew all too well that if he had wanted them to stay he would’ve made it happen effortlessly.

I had the overwhelming urge to kick him at the moment. Something in his arrogant confidence and sly smirk had ticked me off. How could he be so cool? So distant? So composed? Was he unaffected by everything? I could feel myself keeping warm and not because of his touch, though God knew that was part of it, but because of the fuming anger inside of me.

Cisco must have seen it for he did something I hadn’t expected. He caught my by the wrist and brought me to him, wrapping his arms around me to hold me. No, no, no. Why was he doing this to me? I wanted to fight him, to show he didn’t affect me either. I hated admitting how much it destroyed me to see his complete resistance to me as a woman while I was so aware of him as a man. Every nerve ending and fiber in my body responded to him unconsciously, unwillingly. Even if I tried my hardest to resist him.

But I couldn’t help but melt into the protective shelter- so warm- of his body. 

“I can keep you warmer here.” He whispered above my head, his voice soothing and alluring. A siren. I wrapped my arms around him in return and molded my head into his chest, feeling the steady beat of his heart and feeling the heat radiate from him to me. It was as if I was suddenly whirled into the desert, everything bright, wild, and hot.

I couldn’t take it anymore. He was too much to handle. I had to remember what I had promised myself earlier.

“Cisco.” I said his name, not knowing what I’d say afterward. 

“What?” 

“Uh. I want to take a picture.” I mumbled and lifted my head to look at him. He arched an eyebrow in question and I fumbled for the camera that was in his free hand, trying to evade his searing skin but failing miserably. “Of us.” I said, not even knowing that had been my intention. Then when I thought of it, it was all I needed to complete the autumn showcase for my mom. I wanted a picture of him. Whether it was of him alone or I was in it. I needed evidence that he had existed after he left.

Cisco shrugged and his arms were gone. The cold started to slowly seep in again and I told myself that I’d do everything in my power not to shiver.

“Come on.” I said and he stood next to me. I took the camera and positioned the lens to us then put it at arm’s length. Cisco’s arms snaked its way around my shoulder and I could feel the heat again. I sighed, relieved and defeated.

I smiled. “One, two, three.” Snap.

***

I set the camera down on the first table I saw once entering my apartment, the anticipation of showing the pictures to my mother causing me to feel giddy with excitement. I all but ran to my mom’s room with the pictures in hand, Cisco laughing behind me. The day had been almost perfect and this would put the icing on the cake. 

I knocked on her door and there was no answer. I knew she was sleeping. Would it be cruel to wake her up? She always slept more than she needed to so I doubted she was exhausted. I’d show her the images then let her be. Just this once.

When I came upon her image I knew she was indeed asleep. He head was laying soundly on the pillow, her eyes closed. I walked slowly to her bed and sat down beside her. 

“Hey, mom?” I said and took her hand from where it had laid on her belly. My fingers curled around hers and the chill of her skin was shocking. Had I left the air on too low? Maybe there was an open window in the apartment. Or she could simply be cold. I’d get her a sweater and more sheets once I woke her. 

I shook her hand and said again, “Mom? Hey, wake up.” I shook her hand another time. She didn’t wake. I stared at her, thinking. Her skin seemed even whiter than it did an hour ago. I’d have to call Dr. Merchant today and have him check up on her. I shook her hand once more and I felt the icy fire of panic twist my gut. 

Was it an illusion of mine or did it seem as if her body was abnormally still? I put my hand to her face, not letting myself believe what I was seeing. Her skin was so cold... so sickly pale. 

“Mom?” I called, my tone a little harder this time, laced thickly with anxiety.  

And just like that I could feel my head start spinning and throbbing. I didn’t know if my body temperature felt hot or cold, for it was a deadly mixture of both. This couldn’t be happening. What was happening?

“Cisco.” I said his name aloud, needing the word for comfort and the person’s presence for sanity. It was my lifeline. I stared at my mother, so still and calm as she slept. Surely, she slept. 

Or maybe she didn’t.

“Cisco!” I yelled, needing him. I screamed his name once again, at the top of my lungs, and I could hear the distant sobs as they left my throat. “Francisco!”

I heard the slamming of the door against the wall as he ran in. He was beside before my clouded brain could register the movement. “Cisco. Help me.” I croaked, looking around to find his face. His eyes were broken when I looked into them and I felt the all of the hope and sanity leave me.

“What? Do something! Please!” I pleaded, tears falling down my face in a stream I couldn’t control. I stood up from the bed so that he could use the space he needed to- to get her and I staggered clumsily to the side.

My brain was so clouded and fuzzy, slowly turning blank, and I couldn’t possibly think of understanding anything around me.

I watched Cisco as he touched my mother’s skin and searched for a pulse in her neck. I watched the mixture of sadness and pity in his eyes when he turned to look at me where I stood. “Mila...” He said my name and I knew at that moment that my mom was gone. She was dead. 

My head throbbed harder and my vision blurred, everything becoming a halo of yellow and white that I couldn’t get past. I felt my strength leave and my eyes roll into the back of my head. I felt the air leave my body as I fell back. I felt the strength of Cisco’s arms as he caught me and didn’t let me touch the floor. And then I felt the overwhelming darkness of the black abyss that swallowed me entirely.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Stalker By morgangrigori

Mystery / Thriller

9.5K 308 10
Ever since he laid eyes on her he knew he had to have her. He didn't care what he had to do, she simply had to be his. No matter how long it took. Fo...
6.8K 94 51
This book can be read as a standalone, however, I advise you to read His Possession first. This would help you understand the context and not spoil t...
614K 22.8K 39
"I'm at your service, my lady." Rune bowed his head down as sign of respect and loyalty to the woman standing in front of him. Because starting this...
13.2K 681 25
CoCo Abelli is the last woman Rian Dalton wants to protect. A spoiled heiress to a designer shoe empire with a reputation for hard partying and getti...