The Monsters My Family Are

By Private19

Dakota, the new girl, is tired of being a new girl. Then her mom makes her catch a ride with Tyler, the most... More

Chapter 1: I'm New
Chapter 2: Wanna be Friends?
Chapter 3: Dad Troubles
Chapter 4: Living a Normal Life... I hope
Chapter 5: Grandpa
Chapter 6: She Doesn't Understand
Chapter 8: They Are Here
The Characters So far
Chapter 9: Romeo and Juilet
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter
The End

Chapter 7: They Are Among Us

119 2 0
By Private19

   Ugh, Mom doesn't understand!! She's so... ugh!! I pace around my room. I see a text from Tyler. Hey, r u alright? This was sent before the fight. I throw myself on my bed and stare at the ceiling.

   "Dakota, I want to talk to you," Mom calls.

   I ignore her and throw a pillow over my head.

   "Dakota?" I hear her footsteps and she opens the door. "Dakota?" she says in a sweet voice. "I'm done being mad at you."

   I sit up and look at her.

   "I have to talk to you; lay down some rules." She sits on my bed next to me. "First of all, I want you to stop seeing Tyler--"

   "MOM!!" I whine.

   "You can hang around each other but only for his business, which is protecting you. Second, I need your phone. I don't want you to have contact to Tyler."

   "But Mom--"

   "No buts. That's it."

   "How can he protect me if I can't contact him when I need help?"

   "He can feel you. If you try hard enough, you can feel him."

   "Mom you can't just take my time away from him!!" I whine.

   "I can and I will. I'm just doing this for Tyler. He's a kid who loves you. I don't want him hurt. If someone finds out and tells your Grandpa, he'll kill Tyler. I love Tyler as if he were my own son."

   "I love him, too but--"

   "Then you'll understand."

   Mom walks out of my room and I scream in my pillow. I'm such a drama queen, aren't I?

   ~MORNING~

   Tuesday. At least it's better than Monday. I hate Mondays sooo much. Who doesn't? I run down downstairs and see Tyler sitting at the table. I almost jump into his arms. He hugs me and kisses my neck. Mom clears her throat. I look at her and she's shaking her head at me. I push Tyler away and he goes back to eating his cereal.

   I grab a breakfast bar and start eating it when Angeline jumps on my back. "I want to go to the toy store after school today!!" she squeals.

   "Why? I'm not going to--" She holds out the piece of paper. "My car got taken away a year ago," I say.

   "Why'd you promise her that then?" Mom huffs.

   "It was an easy way out. She should've known that."

   "Here," Mom tosses my keys. I got my car taken away for crashing it into her car... on purpose. I was mad but now I've got my car back!!!

   "I'll pick you up after school and we'll drive right to the toy store," I say.

   "I can come with you if you want," Tyler offers.

   "Su--"

   "No, no, no, this is sister time," Mom interupts.

   "I hate you," I mutter to her.

   Angeline gets on the bus and I drive MY car to school. I love saying that: my car, my car. It's blue: my favorite color besides purple and black.

    I park MY car and get out. I meet Albert at the steps of the school. His face is all healed. "Are you alright?" I ask.

   "Yep, as good as new!!" he smiles but then his face goes hard, "So what happened to that Tyler kid?"

   "He's not 'that Tyler kid' he's just Tyler."

   "Why'd he punch me?"

   "He's my guardian and he's not so sure about you."

   "Why'd he punch me then? I wasn't doing anything wrong."

   "He got the wrong idea and..." I trail off when he starts laughing. "Is there a problem?" I snap.

   "Don't tell me you're in love with him," he laughs.

   "I am!!" I hiss.

   "Does he feel the same way about you?"

   "Yes but--"

   "Uh-oh, this can't be good."

   "Please don't tell," I beg, "Please."

   "And why do you think I won't?"

   "Please, have you ever loved someone so much, even if it was forbidden?" tears start burning at the back of my eyes.

   He sighs, "I guess I won't tell."

   "Thank you," I whisper.

   The bell rings and Tyler helps me up. He glares at Albert, who just glares back at him. "Tyler, stop being so mean to him," I mutter to him. Tyler just wraps an arm around me.

   "You'd be pissed if you knew the things that're going on in his head."

   "Like what?"

   "He has a crush on you."

   "Tyler, I love you not him."

   "That's the problem," he mutters.

   "What?"

   "Our love is forbidden, if you go with Albert it's not forbidden. He won't get killed if you fall in love with him."

   "That won't change my mind," I insist.

   "They are among us; it has Albert all excited. He can't wait until they take me away so he could have a better chance with you."

   "Who's they?"

   "Your Grandpa's court."

   The late bell rings and I rush to my class. "Glad you could join us, Ms. Cane and Mr. Zines," the teacher huffs.

   Tyler growls at Albert as he walks past him. "Okay, get with your partners," the teacher claps. Albert and I start on our project. I feel Tyler's eyes on us half the time.

   After class Tyler walks up to Albert and growls as he wraps his arm around me and walks out. "Tyler, why so bitter?" Albert asks when he catches up to us.

   "I know, you can try to take her when I go away," he growls.

   "No one is 'taking me', no one's going to take Tyler away from me."

   "Don't say that," Tyler mutters to me.

   "Albert, I thought we were friends. It'd hurt me if Tyler went away. Friends don't like it when their friends are hurt."

   "I just want to be more," he leans close to me. I smack him and Tyler laughs.

   "You smacked me!!" Albert says in disbelief.

   "She got you!!" Tyler laughs.

   "I wasn't talking to you!!" Albert says as he slams into Tyler. I grab Albert's shoulder and try to pull him off Tyler. Albert beating the crap out of Tyler!! "Stop!!" I pull Albert off, unsuccessfully.

   "Stop!!" the principle says and pulls Albert off Tyler. Tyler groans in pain and I sit next to him. I stroke Tyler's hair while I watch Albert get taken to the principles office. Some guys help Tyler to the nurse's office. I follow them.

   All the nurse could do was clean and bandage Tyler's scars. "Be careful," I hear the nurse say as Tyler walks out of her office. I hug him and he smiles.

   "So is anything broken?" I ask.

   "Nope, just a bloody nose, bruises, and scratches."

   "I'll stay away from Albert, if you want."

   "I would like that but you don't have to," he says.

   "If you want me to I will."

   "I won't rule your life."

    A few periods later I sit by Tyler at lunch. I see Cassie staring at me with her friends. I give her a small, shy wave. She just turns away from me. I sigh and turn back to Tyler.

   "What was that?" Tyler asks.

   "Nothing," I breathe.

   "Something's bothering you. I feel it."

   "Cassie's mad at me."

   "Why?"

   "I wasn't paying attention. I was distracted. So she's a little mad."

   "Oh, well, it's her lost."

   We walk back to our classes. I walk into math class and sit down at my desk. I'm the first one here. "Dakota, can I talk to you?" the teacher asks.

   I walk over to the desk and sit down.

   "You've been very... distracted. Is anything wrong?"

   "No, I've just had a lot on my plate."

   "Is anything going on at home?"

   "No."

   "Are your parents divorced?"

   "It's really none of your business--" The bell rings. Saved by the bell. Thank you, bell.

   I take my seat and the teacher begins the lesson. Blah, blah, blah.

   ~AFTER SCHOOL~

   I meet Tyler in the parking lot. "I wish you could come with me," I sigh.

   "Me too, I'll see ya later," he kisses my forehead and starts his car. I get in my car and drive to pick up Angeline.

   "Hey, Angeline," I say as she gets in the car.

   "Hi, we're going to the toy store!!!"

   I roll my eyes playfully and drive there. When I park I say, "Angeline, we aren't buying anything."

   "Okay." She hops out of the car and we look at the Barbie section. Wow, was I really into this?

   Turns out I'm walking with a bag of Barbie dolls when we leave the store. "Angeline, whatever happened to no buying today?" I mutter. She giggles. I can't believe I spent about 90 dollars worth of Barbies on her. But hey, I guess that's sisterly love for ya.

   When we get home, Mom is already there. "Keys," Mom holds out her hands and I drop the keys in there. "You'll only be able to drive when Angeline wants to go somewhere."

   "Mommy, look what Dakota bought me!!" Angeline opens the bag.

   "Why look at these," my mom coos as I walk into my room.

   I flop on my bed when I hear a doorbell. I run down to get it. Albert is standing in the door way and I roll my eyes. "What do you want?" I ask.

   "I want to make sure we're still friends."

   "No, we aren't." I cross my arms.

   "Why not?"

   "Well, you punched my guardian. You hurt him really bad."

   "He's a fast healer."

   "So?"

   "So you're being unreasonable."

   "I'm not being unreasonable. You're being stupid thinking that you could beat Tyler and 'still be friends'!"

   "I'm sorry," he says.

   "Goodbye, Albert," I shut the door and lock it. I run to my room and sit on my bed. I sigh and look out the window.

  ~THE NEXT DAY~

   I wake up and get ready for school. "So Mom, can I drive my car to school?" I ask.

   "No."

   "Why?"

   "Angeline didn't ask you to take her anywhere did she?"

   "Actually, Mom, the contract says that Dakota must drive me to and from school." She hands the piece of paper.

   "Hmm, it does say that... alright." She hands me my car keys.

   "Thanks, Angeline."

   "It one of the many times I got your back," Angeline smiles.

   I drive to school and park the car. Tyler meets me as I get out of the car. "Hey, Dakota," he smiles and kisses my forehead.

   "Hey, Tyler." I see Albert running to me. "Oh boy," I mumble.

   "Dakota!!!" he calls. He stops in front of me. "Dakota, here," he gives me a braclet with a locket hanging from the chain. "It's a 'I'm sorry' braclet."

   "I told you--"

   "You haven't seen other guys out here. You just stopped at Tyler."

   "I think it'd be best if you leave us... now," Tyler warns him.

   "Bye, Albert," I say as Tyler and I walk away.

   The rest of the day goes by in a drag. I learned that your stomach is such an acidic place that the cells in there have to be replaced every few days (I should've learned that in 7th grade but didn't). 

   At the end of the day I meet Tyler and walk to my car. "What's the matter?" he asks.

   "Nothing," I sigh.

   "You haven't really talked all day."

   "I've just been... thinking." I'm thinking about the rules; they might take Tyler away.

   "What have you been thinking?"

   "About who they are."

   "Don't worry, Dakota," he sighs.

   "But what if they really do kill you?"

   "There are other guys out there."

   "I'd rather not think about them," I mutter to myself.

   "It's not your problem," Tyler says.

   "It is if you're going to die," I cross my arms. He huffs and we walk in an ackward silence.

   Once I get to my car Tyler kisses my forehead, "Bye, I love you." I get into my car and start it.

   I pick up Angeline and she says, "Hi, Dakota!!"

   "Hi," I say, distracted.

   "What's wrong?"

   "None of your business."

   "Can we go home now? You're not driving at all."

   I drive home and Angeline rushes out of the car and into the house. I follow her, slowly and go up to my room.

   I hear the doorbell ring. "I'll get it," Angeline says. I hear the door open. Oh boy, Angeline isn't supposed to answer the door without anyone. I rush downstairs and I see Albert in black jeans, white shirt, and a leather jacket without glasses.

   "What, Albert?"

   "No, my name isn't Albert anymore. That was my middle name. I made the football team."

   "What do you want?"

   "My name is Ed."

   "Ed?" I raise my eyebrow.

   "Yep. Do you wanna keep working on the project or should I?"

   "I'll work on the project. You can go... hang out with your football guys."

   "I'll help; although I'm on the football team I still want good grades. Let's work on it at my house."

   "No, three things. One: I don't trust you. Two: My mom's not home. Three: I can't leave Angeline all by herself."

   "Leave a note and take Angeline with us."

   "I still don't trust you."

   "Pleeeeeease?" he does te puppy dog face. I can't stand the puppy face. I close my eyes and shut the door.

   "Stop doing the puppy dog face or I won't go."

   "Yay."

   "Hang on, I've got to go get my bookbag." I grab my backpack and stuff some pepper spray in the front pocket. You know... just in case. And I also steal my phone back from Mom's 'secret drawer'.

   I leave a note and tkae Angeline along with me. I sit in the front seat while 'Ed' drives. We get to his house and get out.

   I set my backpack on his desk and look around. The place is nice. High ceilings, wood floors, and when you walk, it echoes through the whole house. This is my kind of place!! I've always found echoes entertaining.

   We get started on the project. Angeline helps; she just mushes the clay around in her hands. "Dakota," 'Ed' says after a while. "Why do you love him?"

   "What?"

   "Why do you love Tyler so much? Even though it's forbidden."

   "This isn't your business," I huff.

   "Hell, it is," he slams the clay down and looks at my with cold eyes. "I'm the one you have more of a chance with. I won't get killed for it."

   "You're starting to freak me out," I say as I grab Angeline's hand.

   "Dakota, I want to go home," Angeline says in a fear-filled voice.

   "I'll drive you home," he growls.

   We get in the car. It's winter and already starting to get dark. 'Ed' turns the wrong way. "Ed, you took a wrong turn," I say, "This is the way to a bar." He ignores me and parks at a bar.

   "I'll be rightt back," he says as he gets out, "Don't go anywhere."

   "If you're thinking about drinking, they won't let you, you're not old enough," I say, my voice shaking with fear.

   "Ha!! I've been coming here for a while." I watch him as he dissappears in the crowd of angry motorcylce guys.

   "Dakota, I'm scared," Angeline says, "I've never seen mad guys." A tear strolls down her cheek. What should I say to her? We're going to die? No. I say nothing. I feel really bad that I can't comfort her and tell her everything's alright. Why would I lie?

   These men are acting really weird. They almost seem... supernatural. "Oh crap," I mutter. I see Ed beating up by a guy ten times his size.

   I watch in fear as I pull Angeline on my lap and hug her close to my body. Ed gets in the car and starts it. I smell the alcohol in his breath. "You're drunk," I say, "You c-can't drive."

   "So what?"

   "So I'm not letting you drive me home."

   "Fine, get out. I must warn you though, these men aren't human so try to survive." I get out and dail mom's number. It goes straight to voice mail. Crap. I can't get a hold of mom. I call Tyler.

   "Y-ello?"

   "Tyler, I'm at a bar. We don't have a ride home. Could you come get us?"

   "Which bar?" he asks.

   "The one closest to my house." I squeeze Angeline's hand.

   "Dakota, I'm scared!!" Angeline cries. Tears stream down her cheeks. I hear a gun shot. Angeline screams as the guy falls to her feet.

   "Okay," Tyler says, "I'll be there as fast as I can." He hangs up. I stuff my phone back in my backpack. I pull Angeline close to me and look around, fearfully.

   "Hey, princess, what are you doing here?" a guy calls out to us. Five men walk closer to us.

   "Stay back!" I pull out my pepper spray.

   They laugh and I back up. "C'mon, princess. Want a drink?"

   "I'm not old enough." My voice is shaking. They walk closer to us. "Stay back of I swear I'll--"

   "We aren't afraid." I pull Angeline even closer to me. They walk closer and closer.

   "Stay back!!" I hold out the pepper spray. "I have pepper spray."

   "Put that down," a guy orders as he grabs my wrist. I spray him and he screams in pain. He squeezes my wrist tighter, making me drop it. He doesn't let go.

   Angeline screams and tugs on my sleeve, "I want to go home!!" I try to get out of the grip of the man. I'm so scared. My heart is beating so fast; adrenaline pumping through my veins. I punch the guy off me. I didn't know I had the guts to do it but I did!! Two men grab both my arms and I scream. "HELP!!" I try to tug away. "SOMEONE PLEASE!!!" I decide that I'm wasting all my energy and stop. They pick me up and lay me on my back.

   I kick my legs in the air and I hear tires squeak. "Get off her!!" I hear Tyler yell as he pulls the men off.

   Tyler helps me up and the pissed of guys start to hit him. "Get in the car," Tyler yells. I set Angeline in the car and soon later, Tyler drives us home.

   "Why'd you go with Albert?" he asks.

   "I wasn't thinking!!" I sigh.

   "Don't go anywhere with him from now on." He pauses, "I'll train you."

   "What?"

   "I'll train you to defend yourself. I'll train you to use your abilities. We start tomorrow."

   He parks the car and Mom rushes out to greet us with a, "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!?!"

   "I left a note," I say.

   "I looked at Albert's house. You weren't there."

   "I'm sorry," I'm not going to tell her about the bar.

   "You two are grounded. No car, no video games, no games, no Barbies, no anything for a week. This is the second time, Dakota. Angeline, this is the first and, I hope, only time. Here's how it's going to be: you go to school, you come home, you do your homework, eat dinner and go to bed. Do I make myself clear?"

   We don't answer.

   "Do I make myself CLEAR?!?!" she yells.

   "Yes, Mom," we say together.

   "But Mom," I say," Tyler's coming over to train me."

   "Then I guess I'll have to supervise you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.8M 914K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
564K 38.8K 47
THE YEAR IS 2050. Human-like androids have become integrated into society and every household, becoming part of our daily lives. They look exactly li...
2.4K 127 200
Author:Shen Tianyi, η₯žε€©θ‘£ Alternative names:TLE, 钆主之兡伐倩下 Genre:Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Harem, Martial Arts, Wuxia Source:Gravity Tales Status:Ongoi...
2.1K 40 20
Terra Invita!! by Max Pichardo. War... will never change but the concept will be directed at the other side. Humans are strange creatures, we are...