The Serpent's Enigma

By tomgaryens

‟Tonight shall be the first and last night that we spend together, Gianita, for I do not intend to produce he... More

𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑺𝒆𝒓𝒑𝒆𝒏𝒕'𝒔 𝑬𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒎𝒂
1 | A Lonesome Bride
2 | The Art of Getting By
3 | Of Books and Dragons
4 | A Library Rendezvous
5 | Serendipity
6 | Riding Dragons and Erecting Temples
7 | A Step Closer
8 | Belong to You
9 | Lady of Charms
10 | An Invisible Wall
11 | The One and Only
12 | A Lionlike Snake
13 | In Memoriam
14 | Obey Me
16 | In Season
17 | Thirst
18 | B-U-T (Be-U-Tee)
19 | The Little Serpent
20 | A Family Portrait
21 | Rose Gold and Champagne
22 | Mind, Body and Soul
23 | Twenty-Eight
24 | Broken Beyond Repair
25 | A Consolation Gift
26 | Indecent Proposal
27 | The Pickle Emperor
28 | The Right Hand Path
29 | The Five Muses
30 | The Long Game
𝑾𝒐𝒓𝒍𝒅𝒃𝒖𝒊𝒍𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 🌏 🏴
31 | An Untimely Confession
32 | Long Time Coming
33 | Into the Woods
34 | Disarranged Thoughts
35 | He's My Son
36 | Mother
37 | Anything in the World
38 | Mane and Tail
39 | A Distinctive Scent
40 | Unscrewing the Lid
41 | The Scarlet Woman - Part I
41 | The Scarlet Woman - Part II
42 | Thorny Flower
𝑭𝒂𝒎𝒊𝒍𝒚 𝑻𝒓𝒆𝒆
43 | Wetter than the Rain
44 | A Night to Remember
45 | Afterglow
46 | Masquerade - Part I
46 | Masquerade - Part II
47 | Brave
48 | Resurgence
49 | Discombobulated
50 | Unsettling
51 | Midnight Cravings
52 | Redefined
53 | Believe - Part I
53 | Believe - Part II
54 | The Big Twist
55 | Legacy
56 | In Trouble
57 | Suspicion
58 | The Greatest Gift
59 | Revelation
60 | Checkmate
61 | Worth Fighting For
62 | Dominion
63 | The Eagle's Flight
Finale
Epilogue 1| The Queen
Epilogue 2 | The Empress
🎵 𝑷𝒍𝒂𝒚𝒍𝒊𝒔𝒕 🎶

15 | The Empress' Ensemble

17K 1K 134
By tomgaryens

May marked the start of the summer social season; an annual period when it was customary for members of the social elite of the Angletonian society to attend festivals, matches and other public shows. The changing of the season would also give rise to a new fashion trend that was prominent among the upper-class, showcasing a wardrobe collection to prove they were fashion-savvy, including the Empress.

Gigi was disappointed to find that the fabrics used in Angletonian summer dresses were too brittle and rigid compared to Prajan dresses that were made to endure heat throughout the year. Prajan textiles were made using a specific technique that enabled air circulation and flexibility which would make them comfortable even under the highest temperature.

As Kumala, her employee from the embassy, came to see her that afternoon, Gigi scanned through the sales reports of goods that were being imported from Praja. "Tropical fruits, vegetable seeds, spices... So you're saying that the market is still after food in the summer?"

"Apparently so, Your Majesty. Summer is the time when the climate in the western hemisphere becomes closest to ours. They think this is the best time to plant and indulge in tropical food."

"What about our textiles? Brocade silks? The Ikat weaving?"

"We tried to push sales toward garments, but they were deemed impractical to blend into their daily wardrobe. The distributors don't take much because people only purchase them once in a while for their private collection."

"So they buy them without any intention of wearing them? How disappointing!"

"Unless there is some way to convince them that they are versatile, I'm afraid that this is as far as we're going to go," she explained regretfully.

"I've got an idea," Gigi muttered, flipping through the catalogues. "Get me all of these glorious patterned silks, cotton batiks and weavings. My, my, when was the last time I wore these?"

Kumala scribbled her orders down on a note. "Oh, there is a new trend among Prajan women which I think you'd be interested in, the all-around silk wrap."

Gigi turned from the pages, staring at her with curiosity. "All-around silk wrap...?"

Before lunch, Gigi caught up with her husband who had just finished a conference meeting. For her plan to be a success, she wanted him to be on board.

"Your Majesty, you wouldn't mind if I make some changes to my wardrobe, would you?"

Cal turned to her from the documents he was signing. "Why, though? Do you not like the new ones they sent you?"

"It's not that, I just think they need a little adjustment." She fidgeted with her hands. "I would like to improve the designs and materials, but they would still fit the dress codes."

"Very well, then I don't see any problem. Should you need some help you can just send them over to the designers."

"There's no need, Sire, my handmaidens will do just fine," she assured. A Prajan-made material would need Prajan hands to handle it.

***

La Casaserpia was a metropolitan resort city located south of the capital, renowned for its use as entertainment, leisure and nightlife. Bordering the Smaragdine sea, the city was always flooded with tourists and social elites, particularly during the colossal social events this time of year.

Gigi used the occasion to utilize her newly modified wardrobe, making certain that they followed the traditional Anglese dress code that everyone must comply with, regardless of their status. Even after the alterations, she was not showing any bare midriffs or shoulders, the hem of her skirt reached below her knee and she wore a hat. If the Empress got turned away at the entrance then they would just have to see about that.

Descending from the stairs of the summer palace, she met her husband and Junior who were waiting at the front.

"Wow!" Junior squealed, palms coming up to rest upon his cherubic cheeks.

"So, do you like it?" Gigi straightened her skirt, nervously adjusting her cloche hat. Her dress was still taking the basic shape of an Angletonian summer frock, but with the use of Prajan patterned fabric and appliques, giving a unique twist to its overall impression.

"This looks more like... you," Cal remarked.

"Oh, I promised something for Junior so that we would match." Reaching into her purse, she took out a tiny bowtie made of the same batik pattern as her dress and attached it to Junior's collar.

Witnessing it, Cal cleared his throat. "A little something for me, perhaps?"

"Oh, um..." Gigi flushed, not expecting him to show equal interest. Rummaging through her purse again, she came up with a patterned silk scarf. "I only have this." His gaze was warm on her as she wrapped it around his neck, tucking it into his jacket. "Now don't worry because the fabric is very breathable, you won't feel hot."

"Now we all match!" Junior exclaimed.

Gigi could feel the stares directed at them for their unusual style of clothes. To see the Emperor wearing a batik scarf during a national event was a rare occurrence, but she kept her composure and presented herself with pride. Her purpose was, after all, to show the versatility of Prajan garments.

And she wasn't denied entry at the gates.

Considering it as a success, she did the same as they attended several more events, including the Regatta. This time she wore a slinky dress that matched the Prajan silhouette, and patterned silk wrapped around her shoulders like a shawl. She even took the liberty to wear a pair of Prajan mule flats; if she was to spend the entire day at the riverside she wouldn't want to get her shoes stuck in the mud.

Unexpectedly to Gigi, as she was retreating to her seat to join her husband in the middle of the race, she crossed paths with a group of three young ladies.

"Good afternoon, Your Majesty." The three of them curtsied to her in unison.

"Good afternoon, ladies." Gigi nodded in acknowledgement, giving them a polite smile as she kept aiming to reach her destination.

"Enjoying the boat race?" The curly woman in the group followed up to her right side, while the dark blonde and brunette joined her at the left; Gigi was flanked by three people. "May I introduce myself? I am Zeila, and these are my friends Joséfina and Evelyn."

"Yes." Her hand brushed through her hair. In most social situations, her husband would always be by her side leading the conversations. This time she was alone. "Nice to meet you all; it's a beautiful race."

"Not as good as the ones in Praja, I'm sure," said Evelyn, the dark blonde in the sailor hat.

"We don't do boat races in Praja," Gigi answered, cursing her inability to form a more adequate response.

"Really? So what did you do to celebrate summer?" asked the brunette named Joséfina, whose entire wardrobe was awfully pink.

"We'll have theatrical performances, harvest parties, and puppet shows. Though we don't do it for the summer; it's always sunny throughout the year, except for the rainy season."

"I thought the rainy season was the only season in Angletonia," Zeila laughed gaily.

"And the fabric you are wearing, are they also from your home country?"

Gigi nodded. "They are."

"May I feel it?" Joséfina extended her hands to touch the material of Gigi's shawl.

"Of course," Gigi replied, not knowing what else to say.

"What about your gloves? I've never seen this pattern before," asked Evelyn, looking at the lacy gloves that Gigi was wearing.

"I don't know what they're called, but they are pretty." Joséfina stroked the smooth material of Gigi's shawl.

"Thank you. Prajan lace does have a distinct pattern. My handmaidens knitted them for me," Gigi said with pride.

"Handmaidens?" Zeila repeated. "Did the palace not offer you clothes from royal tailors?"

"They did, but since the appliqué are very delicate it takes people who are familiar with the materials to put it together."

"Where can we get one?" Evelyn inquired. "I don't see any in stores."

"Come to the palace, I can show you my entire collection." Gigi beamed.

Fortunately, Junior barged in before they could ambush Gigi with any more questions.

"Father has been looking for you. He needs you by his side for the luncheon." Blinking innocently, he swiftly dragged Gigi away by the hand after bidding the women goodbye. "You're welcome," he added with a grin once they were away.

The three young women stood to watch them leave.

"Did you see that?" Evelyn raised her brows. "The Empress is wearing flat shoes to a formal luncheon."

"I know, right?" Joséfina glanced down at her own pointy heels. "What are we wearing? We look like idiots."

.·。.·゜·༺♥༻ ·゜·。.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

285K 17.1K 49
The prospect of becoming an Empress seemed blissful, yet the reality proved to be more cursed than she could have imagined. Every day, Nayantara's wh...
10.3M 770K 88
Marriage had always been my dream but not to a man about whom I know nothing. The moment my father fixed an alliance of me to a Prince without even t...
36.7K 2.6K 34
2023 December Book of the Month @CupidOnTour @WattpadSeries General Fiction Feature JUNE 2023 @HistoricalFiction 'Rise of Civilization' Reading List...
8.4K 562 55
What would happen if Prince Charming married the Evil Queen? Only Frederick is anything but a noble fairy-tale prince. He's a power-hungry general wi...