Half Mad (Sequel to Half Bad)

By juliaxwrites

"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." With nothing but insanity surrounding them, Harry and Rose hardly h... More

Disclaimer
Prologue
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Thank You.

Chapter 1

35.8K 1.3K 465
By juliaxwrites

A few notes before you start:

-the trailer is on the side! it's super awesome, so you should totes watch it x

-majority of this book will be in Harry's point of view. if otherwise, the chapter will be in third person

-enjoy!!

Chapter 1 

        "HAS HE WOKEN up yet?"

        "Unless he has a miraculous talent of being awake with his eyes closed, no. Besides, he hasn't told me to stop singing yet, so he's clearly asleep."

        "Is he at least breathing?"

        A groan. "Would you relax? This is Harry Styles we're talking about. He may get into near-death experiences, but he doesn't die."

        "Pardon me for worrying about my son."

        The chattering went back and forth, but my head was pounding with such intensity that I couldn't hear them anymore. There was an immense pain in my side, one that felt like an axe was digging into my skin, attempting to cut through the bones that were in it's path. It repeated itself over and over and over.

        Clenching my teeth together to keep back the cry of agony I felt, I squirmed until I was half sitting up and half leaning back on my palms. The softer voice had announced my awakening, but I couldn't quite bear to open my eyes yet. They felt glued shut, making it difficult even when I tried.

        Biting the inside of my cheek as if it would subdue the pain, I brought a hand up to my eyes and rubbed the sleep out of them, flicking them open and blinking a few times. It felt as if I hadn't opened them in ages, when really... wait, how long had it been?

        My vision is blurry for a moment before Daniel came into focus, locked behind bars across the hall from me. I frowned, scratching my neck and popping it before looking down at my side. I could feel his eyes still on me, and I think he was speaking, but I needed to figure out what was causing me so much discomfort.

        Tugging a plain white shirt up that I didn't remember putting on, there's stitches trailing from the end of my rib cage to the middle of my abdomen. Who had sewed up the wound? Why had they done it?

        Realization kicked in, and it kicked in quick.

        I was in prison again, most likely under the Council's rule. I was shot in the side in the midst of the battle. I had jumped in front of Rose and-

        Rose.

        Eyes widening, I stood quickly even though it ached terribly to do so. "Rose," I muttered under my breath and even then my voice was off. Huskier, somehow, like I hadn't spoken in years. 

        "Hey, buddy." Daniel managed a half smile. "How are you feeling?"

        Biting my lip, I ignored him as I walked up to the bars, attempting to look at all the cells that surrounded us, and yet, there was no Rose.

        "Where is she?" I asked, clearing my throat due to how dry it felt. 

        A voice spoke. "Harry? Is he awake?"

        Daniel rolled his eyes. "I already said that, didn't I? You think I lied to shut you up?"

        "It's believable."

        "It's also half truth."

        My jaw tightened; it was sore. "Where is she?" I asked again, panic welling inside me. "What did they do to her? What happened?"

        Daniel waved his hands in a calming motion. "Now, now. We may or may not have lost a battle in attempt of finding some magical necklace, and they may or may not have taken her for her supposed trial. Also, you may or may not have spazzed out and they sedated you."

        That stupid necklace.

        Flinching as I ran a hand through my hair, I met his eyes across the room once more. "Where are the others?"

        He shrugged. "They let them go, for some reason. Just me, you, and the moronic father who thinks he now belongs some place."

        I rose an eyebrow. "Have you finally obtained a rude side, Daniel?"

        His cheeks tinted a little, but he shrugged again. "Time kills when you're stuck with him for three days. I think I understand why you don't like me talking so much now and-"

        "Three days?" My eyes bulged. "I was asleep for that long?"

        "Almost. In about two more hours you would've been. They kept you hydrated through these long needle things. What's the word?"

        Marcus groaned. "Syringes, brilliance."

        "Right, that."

        My head was pounding again and I took a step back, the back of my knees making contact with the cot and I plopped down on it, putting my face in my hands. It didn't feel like reality, but I knew it was. They could manipulate so much, but they could not manipulate time. 

        "When did they take Rose?" I asked, somehow finding my voice even with the confusion jumbling in my mind.

        "The first day," he answered quietly, as if afraid to say so.

        I dragged a hand down my face just as Marcus spoke. "Jessie had been the one to come by and get her, along with a few other guards."

        This caused a surge of rage to flow through me.

        "He didn't even look apologetic when he saw us in here," he finished.

        "And you expected more from him?" I called back so he could hear me. It sounded like he was in a cell beside me.

        "He's my son and-"

        "And you treated both of us horribly, so don't give me a pity speech."

        Daniel let out a low whistle, and I hadn't meant to snap so soon, but I was frustrated. Frustrated with my self for not protecting Rose. Frustrated with myself for getting us back into this place, separated. Frustrated with every Council member thinking they had a bone of decency. How could anything they've done pass as pure?

        A silence overwhelmed us, Daniel humming to himself while tracing the bricks on the wall. I almost missed hearing that lovable idiot hum children lyrics, but even that was hardly comforting right now. I had no idea what was going on or what we would do. I could hardly remember what even happened the day they fought against us.

        I looked down at the wound again, cringing at the sight. I've had many injuries in my lifetime, but I hated looking at them. They were nasty, awful reminders that I had failed. That I couldn't do what I thought I could. I always tried to believe I was invincible and these stupid wounds always proved me otherwise. Then again, arrogance is always the loser in the end.

        My leg bounced furiously as the seconds, minutes, hours ticked by. No one had even opened the door to the hallway, much less entered. I was beginning to think they were starving us to death as a form of torture. Not only would I have killed for a drink of water, but the growling of my stomach was beginning to drive me mad.

        I don't remember falling asleep, or even laying down for that matter, but I had. I was awakened the next day by the sound of the large metal door down the hall opening. I didn't sit up, but I opened my eyes and waited for them, knew they were coming.

        And soon enough, two bulky men stood between the cells the three of us were being kept in.

  Daniel gaped at them. "How do you guys even hug people without crushing them with those biceps?"

        I nearly smacked my hand to my forehead, but neither of them moved. Sunglasses hid their eyes and I hated that. I hated I couldn't depict the least bit emotion they had in them, not even the littlest sign of a weakness. But I still was not intimidated.

        "We're here to inform you of what will happen throughout the day."

        "Does it include the two of you speaking simultaneously like robots?" I asked, draping my arm across my forehead and closing my eyes again. If this was meant to be intimidating, they were failing. 

        Miserably, might I add.

        They still did not flinch as their mouths began to move once more in perfect sync, their voices even sounding the same. "Council leader Cecilia Larkin has decided the fate of the three of you. You will be taken to a criminally insane asylum and-"

        I shot up, ignoring the pain in my side. "Whoa, asylum?"

        They still do not move, do not even falter on their words, continuing as if I hadn't said anything. "-accepted as a patient. You are said to stay for the minimum of six months, but outbursts will result in further punishment. Should you still be breathing after six months, you will be evaluated and scanned for your mental stability. Should you pass, freedom will welcome you."

        And then as quickly as they had come, they turned to leave. I noticed how their legs moved at the same pace, taking steps at the same time with the same foot. They truly were robots. They looked to be human, but it was one of Cecilia's new toys. One of her new experiments.

        "Wait a minute!" I yelled after them, running to the bars but not touching them. "Could you at least remind Cecilia that she should probably join us?"

        Daniel snorted. "She isn't very sane, that's obvious."

        The door closed without another word from the two.

     My shoulders slumped as my mind tried to wrap around what exactly was happening. An asylum? It all seemed a bit far-fetched. And I have heard of this asylum, believe me. Cecilia had threatened to send me to it the last two times I was here. She hadn't mentioned it the third, but clearly the fourth time is her final straw.

        "Harry?" Daniel murmured, sounding terrified.

        Pulling my bottom lip between my teeth, I glanced over at him so he knew he had my attention.

        "I have a phobia of asylums."

      Slinging my head back, I groaned. Not because of him, but because of the stress this all brought on. Surviving this place is one thing, but being treated like my sanity isn't whole? By taking meds and shots every day because they don't think my well-being can be trusted? Granted, I have killed a few people in my life time, but it was out of self-defense. 

     Marcus finally made a sound from the cell to my left, a laugh that sounded anything but humorous. "That's magnificent, isn't it?"

        "At least they're putting you in your rightful habitat," Daniel told him. 

        "And you're any more sane?"

        Daniel placed a hand on his chest. "I don't think being amazing counts as being insane. It's borderline being misunderstood."

     Rubbing my temples, I blocked them out again as I still attempted to make reason of it all. Where was Rose? Would they be sending her to this horrid place too? Had they already killed her?

        I shook my head to rid all possibilities. I needed to believe she was safe. Maybe they wouldn't harm her. Maybe she would be okay. 

        Maybe, after all this insanity took place, I would be with her again.

        But my attempt to reassure myself didn't last long as two (human this time) guards came down the hallway with shackles in each hand.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.6K 967 15
Fourth in the LOVED Series Perhaps Lily is still in there. Care and worry shines through as she helps, saves and protects the one person who could he...
37.4K 1.1K 22
This book has been written after CoG, so there are SPOILERS. After Grindelwald's attack, Newt and Tina have been thrown into emotional turmoil and ne...
95.6K 3.1K 18
First in the LOVED Series. Lila Potter, is her name, well, was her name, until Dumbledore informed her she was the famous missing Potter twin, Lily...
811 116 11
|SHORT LIST ONC 2019| This is my OpenNovellaContest2019 entry. Prompt used: Strange Beasts (Children's Fiction) Sarah is ten and too old to believe i...