The Lions Den

Von tayloronthedash

-Book 1- The Normal Rules of Love Don't Always Apply, especially when the circumstances around those falling... Mehr

Cast
Prologue: When the Lion First Locked Eyes With the Gazelle
Chapter One: When the Gazelle Notices the Lion
Chapter Two: When the Lion Stalks Downwind
Chapter Three: When the Gazelle Stretches Her Legs
Chapter Four: When the Lion Goes for the Kill
Chapter Five: When the Gazelle Tries to Outrun the Lion
Chapter Six: When the Lion Bares His Teeth
Chapter Seven: When the Gazelle Dodges the First Bite
Chapter Eight: When the Lions Speed Stampers
Chapter Nine: When the Gazelle Takes A Leap
Chapter Ten: When the Lion Gives Himself Away
Chapter Eleven Part I: When the Gazelle Crashes Down
Chapter Eleven Part II: When the Gazelle Trips the Lion
Chapter Twelve: When the Lion Captures the Gazelle
Chapter Thirteen: When the Gazelle Feels the Pressure of Claws
Chapter Fourteen: When the Lion Must Gather the Tigers
Chapter Fifteen: When the Gazelle Rejoins the Heard
Chapter Sixteen: When The Lion Meets the Challenge
Chapter Seventeen: When the Gazelle Takes Her Last Leaps
Chapter Eighteen: When The Lion Must Bow Down
Chapter Nineteen Part I: When The Lioness is Born
Chapter Nineteen Part II: When the Lioness Makes Her First Stride
Chapter Twenty: When the Lion and Lioness Run Together
Chapter Twenty-One: When the Lioness Must Defend Against the Challenge
Chapter Twenty-Two: When The Lion Must Submit
Chapter Twenty-Three: When the Lioness Submits Beside Her Lion
Chapter Twenty-Four: When The Lion becomes the Prey
Chapter Twenty-Five: When The Lioness Embraces the Beast Within
Chapter Twenty-Six: When the Lion Sees His Reflection In the Stream
Interlude: When the Gazelle Touches and Goes
Chapter Twenty-Eight: When the Lion Almost Falls for the Trap
Chapter Twenty-Nine: When the Lion and Lioness Find a Field to Breath Alone
Chapter Thirty: When the Lioness Exposes Her Wounds
Chapter Thirty-One: When the Lion Tends the Scars of the Lioness
Chapter Thirty-Two: When the Lioness Misses the Hunter
Chapter Thirty-Three: When the Lion Must Return to the Deathly Pride
Chapter Thirty-Four: When the Lioness Sees Herself Again as the Gazelle
Chapter Thirty-Five: When the Lion Imposes His Will On the Coalition
Chapter Thirty-Six: When The Lioness Puts the Gazelle at the Lions Feet
Chapter Thirty-Seven Part I: When the Lion Enacts War Against the Challenge
Chapter Thirty-Seven Part II: When The Lion Dismantles Part of the Challenge
Chapter Thirty-Eight: When the Lioness Fights Against the Capture
Chapter Thirty-Nine: When the Lion Makes His Sacrifice
Chapter Forty: When the Lioness Accepts the Sacrifices of the Pride
Epilogue: When the Lion and Lioness Take Their Place Atop the Kingdom
-A Few Parting Words-
When the Cubs Seek Initiation
When the Kingdom Comes Together
Book Two: House of Pride

Chapter Twenty-Seven: When The Lioness' Mane is Stained With Blood

6.5K 334 217
Von tayloronthedash

Kashera

Looking into the mirror, I took a deep breath as I clinched and unclenched my hands repeatedly on the counter. Despite the reinforced tile of the bathroom I could still hear the loud clatter of people echoing clearly from the outside. I couldn't take my eyes off of the woman in the mirror who was trying desperately to pull everything together in the last moments of her vanquishing solitude.

She was tired from a months worth of pushing herself to the brink in order to sustain herself and the people she loved. She was tired from having been morphed quickly but throughly from a woman who was naive, gentle, and quick to submit to her tears and frustrations into the calculated, unwavering, and emotionless lithe lioness that was reflected in the mirror. It was a change so extensive and overwhelming that although it had made her better, it contributed to her gripping fatigue.

She was ready for all of this to be over, but looking at her I knew that I could only detect all of these things because the woman was me. To anyone else looking on I appeared immaculately put together: graced with poise, refined by a delicate yet deadly strength. I was a lion: beautiful to the touch, until you did touch and I became murderous with no remorse.

It was in my eyes that had been highlighted today by the simple blends of brown shadow and mascara on my already long lashes. It rested in my passive face that was immaculately emphasized by the foundation and powders that kisses it ever so smoothly. It brought itself to center in the pout of my deep stained lips that showed no traces of a smile.

Relinquishing my hold on the counter I lightly fluffed out the short length curls that rested just off the top of the deep navy blue suit I wore. My hands trailed over its lapels, and down to the large knot tied belt that brought the jacket together atop my nude blouse that laid virtually hidden underneath. I tightened the belt slightly before letting my hands linger to the sides and over the tops of the long pants that swept the top of the floor almost threatening to cover the nude Louboutin heel from view.

I was perfect. I had to be perfect from today until the last word of my closing argument days from now. My racing heart was worried that I wouldn't be perfect enough, but when my eyes met themselves in the mirror one final time, my spirit and head echoed loudly to me that I would be.

I was meant to be here. I'd never lost, and I wouldn't lose this time especially with everything on the line. Especially with my heart on the line. In that grounding I tapped my phone awake to check the time. I took one last look over myself before exiting the confined restroom, and walked into the lobby.

The room was fairly empty beside those who worked here: some police, a scattering of clerks, and the hidden security here for myself. Brooklyn waited with my things in tow as she stood quietly on her phone as I walked over to her. She looked up at me once she heard the inching clack of my heels on the marble. Sending a smile, she met me with a knowing look in her eyes.

"You're right on time," She said nodding towards the door. I saw the van pull to a stop as the endless sea of press packed out beside it trying to catch the first images of Matteo Leone since his arrest which had made headlines around the country. I took a silent, deep breath as I prepared to see him for the first time outside of a jail. I was anxious, and a bit floored knowing that I wouldn't be able to do the first thing I'd want to do which was wrap him in my arms. Knowing that, I stopped myself quickly from imagining the impossible.

"Kashera," Brooklyn called and I returned my attention to her with an eyebrow raised.

"Yes?"

"You've got this. I refuse to even entertain the idea of 'what if' because I have all the faith in you. Especially now that all the pieces have clicked into place. I love you, and when this is all over I can't wait to see you walk out of here with the first part of your fairy-tale secured without ever having to look back," She said.

I let the corners of my lips twist up just enough as I pulled her to me. We embraced in a hug that I poured my thanks into it.

"I love you, Brooklyn Mayes. Thank you for everything," I said softly and she nodded as we broke apart. I turned around to see the crowd part like a flashing sea. I was more than far enough back from the doors, but it seemed like I was in the front row when the van's doors slid open. The guards slid out first, and after what seemed like the longest five seconds of my life, Matteo glided out behind them. You could feel the vibrations from the eruptions of the press. I had to remember how to breath for I'd gotten so use to seeing him in heinous orange jumpsuits that I'd dared to almost forget what it felt like to see Matteo Aline in a suit. Let alone in a suit color that was my exact favorite on him.

He came out of the car tall, unwavering, and his face just as thunderous as ever. He was impassive, cold, and everything that they all said he was. To that notion he did not disappoint. He towered over everyone it seemed, as his once leaner physique had buffed out gloriously but intimidatingly during his time behind prison walls. It made no sense how well the perfectly tailored ash grey suit clung to his larger frame. The only tinge of lightness came from his crisp white button up that was upheld with his dark brown tie. It wasn't even that cool out in the brisk Atlanta morning, and still he had a long dress coat draped over his shoulders. He was the most heavenly piece of walking sin, and only God knew how I missed him more than I'd ever missed anyone or anything in this lifetime.

The noise from outside echoed into the chamber once the doors opened and he along with his guards came in. The moment his feet hit the threshold, I stood up straighter as his eyes instantly found mine. The smirk that graced his face made the corners of my lips turn up just slightly before I took my bottom lip between my teeth. He got more breathtaking with every step closer to me. He always made me feel physically small, but in this moment he lingered like a giant in front of me, and the urge to reach out to him became borderline overwhelming. The moment his eyes flashed to my lips, his eyebrow rose and instantly I released it making his smirk deepen.

"Ms. Daniels," The main officer called as he came in front of me effectively diverting my attention. My face became blank as I nodded in acknowledgement.

"I'm about to check him in. It shouldn't take too long and once that is done, you'll be free to take him into the room and brief about the day for around twenty to thirty minutes. After that we will be making our way to court. Any questions?" He explained and I shook my head.

"Not one."

The walk to our room was tense as he stalked right behind me. The cuffs were off of his hands thanks to him somehow managing to get the bulk of his guards on his payroll. I wanted to reach back to touch him so badly, but there were too many prying eyes in the hallway, and my hands were full with my paperwork and briefcase. There would undoubtedly be a camera in the room, but that was the least of my worries for I knew that the footage would somehow manage to be erased. Once we reached the room it was unlocked, and we were let in.

"Alright, twenty minutes," the guard said before he left. The moment the door snapped shut I dropped everything before I turned on my heels, took Matteo by the neck, and for the first time in a month kissed him passionately without a second thought: just the way I'd dreamed about.

His jacket dropped to the floor with a soft thud as he gathered me up into his strong arms. He held on to me as if I was but a manifestation of his imagination that would vanquish if he let me go. I'd be a liar to say I wasn't holding on with the same feeling thumping with every beat of my racing heart. I wrapped my legs around him as he sat me onto the table, and kissed me back with just as much fevor if not more. I needed to breath desperately, but I needed this moment more.

He pulled away from me for only a breath before he recaptured my lips in his own. My hands were tangled tightly into the base of his hair, and I was desperate to keep him as close to me as I could for as long as I could.

However, knowing that we actually needed to talk I pulled back slowly and let my forehead rest on his while our eyes gleamed into each others. I smiled brightly up at him. I was enanmored by a peace I hadn't felt in weeks. He returned that smile back tenfold making my heart all but jump out of my chest.

"Hi my love," I whispered as my hands stroked his face gently.

"Cio, la mia vita. Fuck I missed that," He said back smoothly as his face leaned into my hand. I laughed before looking down.

"Oh I can tell. Might wanna fix that," I teased and he glared playfully as he kissed my hand and held me tighter in his arms which I gladly allowed. "I missed you so much," I whispered as I rested against him.

I missed this. I missed having his lips on mine at any moments notice, and I missed the connection of our bodies when we made love of course, but having him hold me for longer than five seconds so that I could actually feel his heartbeat against my own is what I missed the most.

"Shut up. I love you," He said in quick succession making me chuckle. This was the most I'd laughed in God knows how long, but I was so damn happy for this time we had together. It was short, and it may have seemed premature, but these brief minutes of closeness had brought me more relief than the ninety minutes twice a week had in a months time. Reluctantly I pulled away from him and motioned for him to take a seat so we could talk. 

"I love you," I said as I pulled away from him and motioned for him to take a seat so we could talk.

With a sigh he pulled away and moved to gather my things off the floor. The entire time his eyes were on me, and I couldn't knock the stupid grin off my face. Someone would've thought he was already a free man with how happy we were acting, but he wasn't yet. Yet now after having him in my arms for all of five minutes I was more fueled to get him free than I was before: a feat that I didn't think was possible. I sat down after we'd gathered my things from the floor. Taking one of my hands firmly into his own, he kissed it before he brought our entwined hands to the table.

"So, we're looking at this lasting the better part of the week. Today are the opening statements from myself and the prosecution. Tomorrow until whenever we're done will be cross examinations and the presentation of evidence. I pray this is over sooner than later, but honestly it's going to be dependent on how the prosecution wants to play this. I have something for virtually everything, and I have faith that this will go our way. It has to," I said surely.

He nodded his head in understanding before looking over me. I raised a brow as his face seemed calculative, but also calm. I didn't know how to place it so I sat waiting for him to respond.

"I'm proud of you," He said making my eyes widen in surprise. I wasn't expecting that.

"I see you, Kashera," he said softly making my face soften as he pressed a kiss to our entangled hands, "I know how tired you are, and how underneath the surface you're nervous, but you are walking so tall and unafraid. You've been handling everything better than I could've ever asked or expected you to. From my arrest, to our family, to Lilly, and especially to this trail you've stepped into your own woman in this life with so much grace. I'm so damn proud to call you mine. No matter what happens I need you to know I'll always be eternally grateful for you as my lawyer, and as my greatest love. Thank you," He said taking my hand back to his mouth.

My heart raced, but I felt a wave of calm wash over me. To know that he saw me in such a way, to know that he didn't take me for granted, made me feel more seen than I had since his arrest. He made me feel that every moment of pain, doubt, and unsureness was worth it. I knew that before, but I didn't fully accept it until now with the solid affirmation coming from those lips I loved so much.

I leaned across the table and captured his lips between my own kissing him deeply eliciting a low growl from his chest and a soft moan from my mouth. Pulling back I kissed the corner of his mouth softly as I cradled his head and his hand gripped my wrist.

"You're welcome. Thank you for always seeing me in a way no one else ever could. You are my world, and I love you so much that words don't exist to explain how so. Just know that I'd do anything for you and for us. Absolutely anything," I whispered to him as he brought me back to him and kissed me sweetly before the knock on the door signaled that it was time for us to emerge from our confines and submit ourselves into the awaiting den.

The tension in the courtroom was so thick I could undoubtedly cut it with a knife. There was incessant chatter occurring as we waited for the judge. Matteo had been brought in moments before causing the hostility between both sides to escalate drastically. I acknowledged the change, but I didn't give myself the time or room to care about it. I remained observant of my materials, and I talked to Brook when I needed to ponder on something relating to any light notes.

I could feel the intimidating eyes of the prosecution and the chief over this way to the point where I had to observe them directly. I rolled my eyes upon noticing Matteo's arrogant smirk blatantly in their direction. Discreetly, I pinched his leg making him glare at me before focusing his attention elsewhere without a word. He knew better than to try me right now, and I didn't need anymore drama coming from him or anyone on that side of the room: I'd had enough of that to last me a literal lifetime. Soon enough, the doors to the judges chamber opened and the bailiff walked out to announce his arrival.

"All rise," He announced and we stood as a hushed quiet finally took over the courtroom, and I fully locked in to the moment. I let my more composed and lethal self take a seat behind the beast that came to play in the courtroom. From this moment forward it was do or die, and I couldn't risk letting any of my emotions or irrational nerves hinder my ability to perform at my absolute max capacity.

"You all may be seated," he called. As he went though the basic premises of the trial I tuned into myself. Before long, the District Attorney took to the floor, and with her opening remarks, she began to add fuel to my already alarming and blazing fire.

"The city of Atlanta has seen the best this country has to offer. It has cultured the most aspiring, and it has brought down those who've threatened the development of both. It is in that righteous understanding that this trial, this most important process of our land, takes on new meaning. Today we seek justice for a man who contributed peacefully to our society and his family who are left picking up the pieces of a puzzle that were blown apart without reason.

Today we seek justice for a city whose claims of being a pillar of justice and peace, are threatened by a man whose lack of regard for the basic principle of civility and life itself disrupt everything we hold true.

Matteo Leone, the defendant, is being put on trial today for the murder of Henry Corvelli. His act of such a brutal murder is only the pinnacle of a record that encapsulates the worse of us as a city. He has held the laws and the greatness of this city hostage long enough, and today going forward the men and women on this jury have the chance for us to take it all back. Today we have the chance to right the wrongs of a monster whose imprisoned our values, and fractured our foundation while giving rightful justice to a family broken by his lawlessness.

Today, and throughout the course of this trial, we will present the facts of what Matteo Leone really is: an unforgiving monster whose removal from our streets will change the course of this city for the best. I ask you, the jury, to keep an open mind. To see the facts presented to you strictly as they are. To keep your oath to make a just decision based on what is right, and what is strictly presented to you in these walls. I ask you to go through this process as fairly equated with the righteousness of the law as you can. The framing of our humble city depends on it," they finished earnestly.

Throughout my career I'd been on the receiving end of some damning opening statements, but this one took the cake. I didn't know if it was because of how uncouth it was, or because they really just came in trying to paint Matteo as a monster before a single argument could be made. I just knew that I was livid.

I had the intention to be lethal, but fair. That possibility was now completely out the window. Nothing about this was going to be fair. If a monster was what they wanted to be presented during this trial, a monster would be what they got. Unfortunately for them, however, it wouldn't come in the form they thought. Rising from the table I walked powerfully to stand in front of the judge.

I took a moment to bask in the powerful silence. Alina and DeAngelo sat like statues. Alina looked on in clear astonishment over the illustration of her son shinning in her hurt eyes even at a quick glance. Maybe it was because I knew her like a daughter knew her mother, but nonetheless I saw it, and that was enough.

One pouring of gasoline.

I looked to see the raw anger on Katerina's face as she silently squeezed Clems hand. Katerina was the stern defender of her beloved older brother, and they were taking him away from her before her eyes with her powerless to do anything to stop it. So I took that power that she would've used to defend him herself into me.

Another Pouring.

I took in Clem who'd been my pillar of strength through all of this mess since the moment Matteo was paraded away to jail in front of me. I saw him fight to keep the unwavering strength he'd shown all along, despite how damning everything was starting to feel within the course of a moment. I owed so much of my current disposition to him, and now I had to be just as strong for him as he has been for me and our entire family.

Another Pouring.

Finally, in a last lingering glance I saw Matteo who sat with his jaw tight. He'd dropped dead before he'd ever show it, but he was scarred. Here in this room he held no power. Any power he did have would only work against him. For once in his life he had no room to control his fate, and it had sank in during the prosecution's opening testimony. I alone could see it, and I alone was about to remove that fear from his face.

For so long he'd been made to be the sole protector, fighter, and lion who all feared. Now it was time for him to sit back and see that the lioness that he'd chosen as his mate embodied all of the strength and power that he did: and in this moment even more. He had no reason to fear a damn thing because I had him. Through anything I'd be anything for him: including a merciless, bloodstained, and battle tested lion unafraid to kill those who hunted what she held dear.

The greatest pouring.

"I challenge those in this room to look at the person beside them. Everyone sitting here right now may have different beliefs in what the process of this land should look like. They may question its value or its legitimacy, but if they're sitting sitting here right now beside you they believe that something about it works. It has to, or else what would it mean for anyone to be here? What would it mean to ponder the guilt or innocence of someone whose very freedom rest within the hands of a selected few if we didn't believe?

This process occurring in the justice system of the state of Georgia, helmed here in the great city of Atlanta, is going to face its most valiant test within these walls over the next few days. Matteo Leone, the defendant being wrongly accused of the murder of Henry Corvelli, is sitting in the hands of not just the jury, but in the hands of the belief that an equal and fair trial does exist.

What does it say of this process, of everything that this country fundamentally stands for, if we abdicate ourselves from that most defining ideology? It says that one man's life and one prosecution's ego is worth destroying the very grounding that we all stand on. I will not ask you to put the favor of the court of public opinion on your shoulders. I will not beg of you to see the righteousness of one man against an illusionary stature of perfection. What I will do is ask you to lend yourself to the process. Give yourself over to the truth and open your mind to reason.

I ask you to do what is hard, because what is hard is what is actual righteousness rooted in reality, and submit yourself fairly to this case based off of the facts presented on both sides. Not just one. I ask you to do what the prosecution doesn't think you can and give humility to both sides. To not make the decision to rid the life, liberty, and freedom of a human being solely on the tactless illustration of him as monster. An illustration that is meant to hinder you from seeing this case as it is, and instead see it as what they want it to be.

I challenge those in this room to look at the person beside them. Everyone sitting here right now may have different beliefs in what the process of this courtroom today should look like. I dare you to challenge that person to conduct their observations, processing, and deliberation in accordance to the way they know this process should be. I dare you to challenge yourself to being more deliberate in picking to be fair than what the prosecution would ever give you credit for.

Make them work for their conviction. Make them prove without a shadow of a doubt that the man on trial deserves the punishment they are seeking. Because if you don't not only will you fail him based on falsities and ease, but you'll fail the institution meant to protect us no matter how hard it may be, and you'll keep failing it after that until there is no more grounding for any of us to stand on."

I finished squarely looking into the eyes of the jury, lingering just a moment to watch over them as the weight of my proposition settled before I turned on my heel to walk back to my seat. My eyes hardened as I looked at the prosecution. They seemed rattled from my statement, and caught off guard at the magnitude of my attacks. I looked to the chief who sat dutifully behind them. I let my lips turn upwards just a moment to make him all but foam at the mouth at my demeanor.

I was not the girl in his office that dreadful day anymore. He didn't hold nearly as much power over me here as he so ignorantly thought himself to. I held their gaze as long as I could so they could see that I meant every word of what I said. If they wanted to beat me they'd have to bring every once of fight they had, because I was going to bring that and then some to beat them.

. . .

We were on day three of this trial, and we'd been fighting tooth and nail to break this case apart. Today that all ended. I was tired, I was battered, and I was pissed as the last culmination of my newfound defensive plan fell perfectly into place. I was starting to get nervous, but the good Lord came in and resolved the tension for me in the span of a two page letter, and a thick folder delivered to my desk at the office in the dark hours of the night following the first day of examinations.

My grey coffin shaped nails clicked steadily against the table. I was deathly quiet today, disorientingly still, and disturbingly calm. My red and sheer styled red bottoms tapped lightly on the floor as the prosecution finished their cross examination of their witness, Matteo's registered pilot, who had confirmed in every way with supported documentation from the National Air Traffic Services that their was no way that Matteo was in the country when the murder of Henry Corvelli occurred.

I was bored of all of this and I was ready to go for the final kill. The way this prosecution had dared to play with my life had me on a murderous tilt that had everybody around me worried as hell.

Brooklyn had been looking over me trying to figure out what had occurred in the course of the night to get me this worked up all morning. Mama, Papa, Katerina, and Clem were all concerned for the well being of everybody in this place. The only indication of how off my rocker I was came when I walked into Matteo and I's house.

Unknowing that they were waiting for me, I let out the most ear-piercing scream I was sure they'd ever heard. The only intelligible thing I said to give them any indication as to what was going on was the proclamation of I'm going to kill them all falling almost psychotically from my lips in a rushed staccato.

My voice was almost raw by the time they'd managed to get me to come back to reality in some capacity. I still spent the rest of the night mute and locked away in my room putting together everything I needed for today. I knew they were scarred as hell, but I couldn't say anything to ease their concerns for I couldn't yet ease my own.

Matteo had been put off by my reserved demeanor since the moment he walked into the waiting hall this morning. He managed to get a moment alone with his father and Clem before we came inside, and I knew they'd told him what had occurred as he rushed to me and held me in his strong hands as he searched my face pleading for an answer I simply couldn't give.

When he saw how unwavering I was in my disturbing silence, he simply sighed and held me. He likely thought there was no hope, and that I'd accepted defeat. So I let him hold me because he needed it more than I did. My mind was already in a place far beyond return, and it would remain there until I fulfilled my proclamation.

As the prosecution wrapped, I surrendered myself over completely to the primal energy that awaited on the surface for release. Nodding to the bailiff, I stood swiftly and perched myself onto the edge of the table as I waited for the bait to be thrown into the water.

My hands folded across the front of the blood red embellished suit I wore. The pleated pants fitted just right on my legs as they stopped just below my ankle and right on top of the heels. The arms of the matching suit jacket rose just slightly as I placed my hands meticulously in front of me, and my red lips turned into a sinful smirk as the witness was called to the stand.

"The defense calls to the stand FBI Agent Ethan McKinley," he said making the prosecution all but burst into the flames of hell. I couldn't stop the evil chuckle from falling from my mouth if I tried as the bench, along with the chief, shot off causing the judge to jump to action.

"The prosecution will stand down!" He order loudly.

"We call for an objection, your honor! The witness was not on the list!" The D.A exclaimed back.

"They are indeed on the list. All additions and changes were to be submitted last night around the hour of ten p.m. Ms.Daniels successfully made this adjustment. However, because of the time, no updates were given to you at the moment of change. In your court briefings the motion was still indeed highlighted," He explained slowly as they shuffled through the papers.

Unpreparedness is a motherfucker I tell you. I thought shaking my head.

As Agent McKinley took his oath and the stand, I gathered myself from my amused state as the prosecution sat down in defeat. I could feel their angst, and it propelled me forward. They were right to be afraid, because I was about to set this bitch on fire with all of them left inside.

"How are you doing this afternoon, Agent McKinley?" I asked.

"I'm doing as fine as I can be. Ready to get this over with, though if I'm able to be completely candor."

"Of course you can be. In fact that is what is needed. Agent McKinley, may I ask you what your position is within the FBI?"

"Yes ma'am. I am a crime scene analyst. I'm one of the first trained specialist on the scene if needed to properly collect evidence from the crime. My speciality, however, is analytics and making sure the transfer of the evidence is accurate, untampered, and essentially seamless from the input to the transfers between courts and custody departments."

"So with your expertise and obviously high leveled positioning, why were you brought up to Atlanta to work on this case? Because correct me if I'm wrong aren't you based in Tallahassee?"

"That is correct. I was called in for a special case, as that occasionally happens as different levels of expertise are needed."

"Do you know what made this case particularly special for your work?"

"Yes. I was told that this case had been linked to a high profile suspect, so a more elaborate team was being established to conduct pretty much everything. From top to bottom, as I came to learn, the team responsible for handling this case had an even balance of brought in FBI agents from different bases outside of Georgia and the Atlanta Police Department."

"And was there anything particularly interesting gathered about the reasoning for this?" I asked carefully. At this question he hesitated. His face became tight and he took a breath before nodding his head. He cleared his throat deeply before he spoke.

"Yes ma'am," he said, and the room became eerily silent. A pin drop could be heard, and on the inside I was grinning from ear to ear.

"Please, Agent McKinley, if you can, will you please tell us why?"

"Objection!" yelled the prosecutor, but I didn't flinch.

"Overruled. Continue," The judge called.

"The agents involved in the case all had strikes against them in the FBI system. In some way or another we were responsible for cases....not going the way the agencies involved meant for them to. This case was meant to redeem our statures. We were given an ultimatum: Make this case go in favor of the agency and the Atlanta Police Department or decline and our careers would disappear," He said carefully causing a string of chatter to fall across the room.

I wasn't done just yet though. I had them pinned, but I hadn't taken the lethal bite. Nodding, I turned to the bailiff, and was given cue to proceed.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the court, I present evidence number forty-three-zero-five," On the screen board off to the corner of the room where all could see, appeared a document beside an obvious blood sample and fingerprint smear. A gasp came from the prosecution bench.

"Objection of this! We scheduled to present this evidence, your honor!"

"Overruled, Attorney. You know the rules, general evidence can be used at will. You all uploaded this late, but Ms.Daniel obviously kept up with the documentation and tracking of inputs. This is fair usage. Please continue with the point Ms.Daniels," The judge declared. At this I sent a smirk in their direction.

"Agent McKinley, can you explain to the court this particular document?"

"Yes ma'am. This document is the second version of this lab report. It details that the fingerprints on the paper and the blood on the paper match that of Matteo Leone..." He trailed off.

"You said second. Can you elaborate on what's wrong?" I asked as the agent took a breath as he met my eyes.

"This is forged," He said in a whisper that could barely be heard.

"I'm sorry, Agent. We couldn't hear-"

"IT WAS FORGED!" He exclaimed and without pause, using the clicker, I changed the evidence on the screen.

"Presenting to the court evidence number forty-three-zero-six. The original lab report verifying that the blood work tested and fingerprinting ran do not belong to Matteo Leone, but instead Atlanta Police Officer Deputy Owen Keaton," I spoke sending the court into utter disarray.

I simply kept my eyes pinned on the prosecution who looked as if they were seconds from ending my life themselves. I smiled a genuine, twisted smile their way as I watched them burn while the bailiff and judge worked to put water to the flames I'd just so perfectly set.

When I first got word that this evidence existed I went into overdrive. It had driven me to a panic attack that I almost couldn't reign myself in from. I thought that it was all over, until I received a tip that the evidence submitted was not what it seemed. I followed it to the end, and finally in Ethan McKinley I found someone willing to breakdown everything that had occurred behind the scenes to ensure that Matteo wouldn't see the light of day ever again.

I was a mess by the time he finished, but I was also confused as to why he was willing to help. It was then that I realized that my family wasn't the only one broken apart by James Adams. Ethan's father was spending the rest of his life in jail cell because he was a poor thief caught trying to steal food for his family, an ailing wife and their only son, who refused to bend to the will of the APD.

When his father was arrested, Adams was bracing up to break big case: the arrest and sealing away of none other than DeAngelo Leone. At the time, DeAngelo was the most powerful and ruthless man the city had ever seen. He was more feared than any common man could ever grapple, and he was only a witness testimony away from being locked away for twenty-five to life. Within Ethan's father, Adams had thought he found his witness, and he thought that he was malleable enough to expend the way he saw fit to get what he wanted: his family be damned. He was the next man up under the Chief of Police, and he was certain he was more feared than some evasive criminal leader.

He was wrong.

Ethan's father was a man of the impoverished undergrounds that knew that even if he was able to testify against DeAngelo successfully, a grave with his and his families names would be waiting not too far ahead. So because of his refusal to die on the hill that James Adams had so poorly made, he was locked up for life. Ethan's father told his son the truth of his arrest, and when he found out he joined the FBI to become an agent of change: so was his intent.

He soon came to realize the same practices that ruined his family were common practices and he wanted out. However, he couldn't get out until this case and until me. He'd never be able to work in his specialization legally again, but he would not only be free from the system that controlled him, he'd enact revenge for his father, and I'd ensure that he would find work with the Leone family under our protection for as long as he needed.

"Agent would you say that the evidence presented to you not only shows that Matteo Leone was not the person at the scene, but also that malpractice was conducted knowingly by the APD and the District Attorney's office to miscue the outcome of this case?" I asked once the room quieted down. In a breath I saw the light at the end of the long dark tunnel. I saw Matteo's freedom come to fruition, and I saw my promise fulfilled.

"Yes I would. Without any shadow of a doubt," He admitted and as the courtroom went ablaze, I walked back to my seat with a nothing further.

I didn't bother to look at the bastards who'd I'd just killed. Instead I met Matteo's gaze and to see the emotion in them as everything sank in brought me from the backseat to the drivers seat. He knew now just how intricate everything in play to keep him away was. I could see the shock there, but as he looked at me I saw him see his freedom, and I finally saw him put every ounce of trust in my ability to protect him in me.

I told him that I had us, and I meant it. I knew, however, that it would be hard for him to take the position of being the protected instead of the protector completely. It simply wasn't in his nature, but he tried everyday, and I never took his ability to give it all over to me personally. In this moment, however, I cherished the power of having it all laid humbly at my feet.

Once I sat down, I hurriedly pulled out my sticky notepad and wrote out a message to send to him. When I finished, I folded it, passed it to Brooklyn who was looking at me in silent aw, and she snapped out of it enough to slyly pass the note onto Matteo.

I could feel his eyes on me as he finished reading it. I met his eyes again as for the first time in God knows how long I let my emotions flow to them as he nodded his head with a clenched jaw and full eyes on me. I nodded back before breathing and forcing myself to look ahead as the fire burned the spoiled soil, making way for new soil to thrive.

I told him I'd do anything for him: even if anything meant burning the very world we knew down to the ground.

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

626K 10.4K 56
(I plan to start editing Vol. 1 very soon. If you see any obvious errors feel free to comment them. <3) **This is book one of Raw Love** She is warm...
623K 14.2K 35
Meet Angela Santiago, the daughter of the most feared mafia boss in Spain and the sister of three overprotective older brothers. She's a loving and n...
12.8K 458 33
COMPLETED✅ The punishment for murder is the death penalty, what about love? "Innocent until proven otherwise" Does this apply to matters of the hear...
32.3K 1.2K 39
-Book 2- The Truth is the Only Way to be Set Free and be transformed by a love that is as old as time. Stefano Leone is next in line to oversee the...