The Turning

By CreativeExplosion

"The sixth member of a clan always meant destruction in the vampire world." I.M is the fifth member of the MX... More

(One)
(Two)
(Three)
(Four)
(Five)
(Six)
(Seven)
(Eight)
(Nine)
(Ten)
(Eleven)
(Twelve)
(Thirteen)
(Fourteen)
(Fifteen)
(Sixteen)
(Seventeen)
(Eighteen)
(Nineteen)
(Twenty)
(Twenty-One)
(Twenty-Three)
(Twenty-Four)
(Twenty-Five)
(Twenty-Six)
(Twenty-Seven)
(Twenty-Eight)
(Twenty- Nine)
(Thirty)
(Thirty-One)
(Thirty-Two)
(Thirty-Three)
(Thirty-Four)
(Epilogue)

(Twenty-Two)

79 7 11
By CreativeExplosion

It had been three days since I.M last saw Jooheon. Every day he demanded answers, but no one bothered to give him information. He slipped his fingers through his black hair, frustration building within him. He wanted to see his fledgling but there was no way to reach out to him. He couldn't even sense him which worsened his growing anxiety.

He got up from his seated position on the floor and started to pace. During Jooheon's absence, he had begun to pace more. Pacing had become one of his most favorite activities while imprisoned in the council building. It was a great way for him to release the nervous energy pulling him a part.

I.M paused. He couldn't help his nervousness. As Jooheon's sire, it was hard to handle his absence. He had felt the same when Hyungwon was gone. A sigh left his lips as he continued pacing. There were many reasons to worry about Jooheon. The new vampire wasn't allowed time to transition properly. Instead he was whisked away to train a day after awakening. He worried the training would make Jooheon's loss of emotions permanent. For a second, he tried to reach out through the bond for the younger but was unsuccessful. He wished he could sense the younger vampire in the clan bond. But he couldn't.

I.M stopped walking and took a seat again, resting his head against the wall. He felt useless. All he could think about was the promise he made to protect Jooheon. He knocked his head against the wall, a knot forming within his chest. There was no way to keep his promise. There was no way to find out what was happening to his fledgling.

He closed his eyes, suddenly exhausted. But he couldn't stop his thoughts from tumbling around in his head. Sadness washed over him. He winced, knowing the negative emotions were from his clan, mostly Hyungwon. He had seen the look of utter hopelessness on the younger vampire's face when he decided to stay at the council. The only thing that comforted him was he hadn't been told to bite another human yet. For now, he didn't have to ruin another life.

The doorknob shook. I.M froze. The last "visitor" to walk through the door was Chorong with a small blood bag. He focused his attention on the door, a lump in his throat. He hoped she was stopping by again. Actually, he was more interested in seeing Jooheon again. Any visit would be welcome besides Council Head Hangil.

The door opened.

"Ah, and how are you today I.M?" Hangil asked, entering. "I'm hoping you rested well last night."

I.M narrowed his eyes.

"Why haven't I seen Jooheon?" he asked. "It has been three days."

"Ah, yes, a caring sire, how inspiring," Hangil said. "Jooheon is perfecting an ability he has shown, and I wish to enhance it. It's in its earlier stages, but it could be oh so powerful moving forward."

I.M wasn't surprised by Hangil's announcement. During a new vampire's transition, he or she could sometimes acquire a new ability. I.M discovered he could jump very high several years ago, but he hadn't acquired anything else in his vampire life. He was told the longer a vampire lived, the more abilities they picked up. He thought back to Shownu. Their leader had several abilities, but he hadn't been able to perfect them yet.

"What ability?"

Hangil grinned, a smile that stretched from ear to ear, showcasing his sharp fangs. I.M didn't like the look on the other's face. He frowned. There were numerous possibilities. There were a few abilities that showed later in age. He didn't expect much.

"Telekinesis."

I.M paused and then glared. "Come again?"

"He is telekinetic."

"Impossible."

Hangil grinned.

"No, he is too young to even have such an ability. That's something you don't see for—"

"Years? Centuries?" Hangil asked, amused. "Aren't you proud of what you created, I.M?'

I.M narrowed his eyes. He wasn't proud. He took someone's humanity away against their will. He subjected Jooheon to the most excruciating pain. He wasn't proud. No, he was angry at himself.

"Jooheon has been able to tap into the raw energy only a feral beast has. He has this ability most vampires could only hope to see in their older age."

I.M narrowed his eyes. "I bet you are thrilled."

"Thrilled? Can't say I am. See, Jooheon is sloppy. Despite this ability, he still struggles to control it. I know he has the ability to do so much more, but the he is unstable and it's because of his bagged blood diet."

"Bagged blood is just the same—"

"Don't be naive I.M. Every vampire knows that nothing compares to a live hunt. Drinking from a living and breathing human has its benefits that some vampires fail to realize. Jooheon has to drink from a live human to stabilize his power and encourage the awakening of any other power he may possess."

I.M scoffed. Bagged blood was the same as drinking from a human. Only live hunt enthusiasts criticized bagged blood. There are several times he had been told by other vampires that bagged blood was ineffective. I.M rather starve than participate in live hunts. Half of the time humans never survived their encounters with vampires. Only a few vampires put their victims to sleep. There were a few vampires didn't kill.

"Enough about my stance on bagged blood," Hangil said. "I realize I have been unfair to you as a sire. I'm sure you wish to see Jooheon. And what better time than a monumental moment."

I.M tilted his head. He didn't know what to believe. He wanted to think it could be a trap, but there would be no point. He was already trapped in the council building. There was no other way to trap him even more. They could put him in chains. Years ago, slayers had crafted chains that could hold a vampire. But he knew Hangil would never go so far as to acquire them. Chains weren't Hangil's style. He was too confident to believe anyone was a real threat to him. For Hangil, chaining someone meant fear and he feared no one.

Hangil glared at him, waiting. "Don't give me a reason to change my mind. I am far too busy to waste time with you."

I.M got to his feet and followed the council head. He hadn't seen the outside of his makeshift prison in days and didn't mind leaving the room. Plus, he was eager to reunite with Jooheon. He wanted to know how the new vampire was doing. Most new vampires rested during their transition, but Jooheon wasn't able to relax. He had been exposed to unnecessary stress too early on in his vampire life. For a second, he thought back to Hyungwon's first day as a vampire and he frowned. It seemed he could never do anything right.

They traveled away from his prison, returning to the same section they kept Hyungwon previously. Thoughts of the vampire trapped in the council building flooded his mind. After sitting alone, he realized how much Hyungwon suffered. And there was so much more that he still doesn't know about Hyungwon's imprisonment. The thought made him queasy.

Soon they stopped before a door several doors away from Hyungwon's previous room. Hangil pulled the door open. His eyes fell upon the new vampire. Jooheon knelt on the ground, forehead pressed to the wall. I.M paused in the doorway. On the right, Chul stood, eyes on the new vampire. Hangil shook his head as he walked over to Jooheon.

He crouched next to the new vampire. "Still not able to make a hole in this, wall? After you lifted that desk not too long ago?  I'm disappointed."

I.M glanced around, eyes falling upon the desk demolished in the corner of the room. His eyes widened. Jooheon, barely a few days since his turning, had chucked a full desk at the wall with his mind. Most vampires took years to do the same. Jooheon shouldn't have been able to do so much in such a short amount of time.

"I told you," Jooheon said. "That's all I can do."

"I'm not stupid," Hangil said. "I know you can do more than that. Do you understand what it means to awaken the way you had? Most new vampires are a nervous wreck, you weren't. You should be feral by now, but you aren't. No instead you have an ability only a vampire years and years older than you should possess. You can do more. You need live blood."

"I need to see my friends."

"You need to increase your strength."

I.M watched the scene unfold, conflicted. If he interfered there was a large chance, he would only make things worse. He didn't want to bring harm to Jooheon, so he kept his feet planted upon the ground. He didn't move. Instead he waited. If he needed to, he would jump in and defend Jooheon to the best of his ability.

"I.M, you've been a vampire for a fairly long time," Hangil said, walking toward him. "I'm sure you know all about human blood, the distinct scents."

"Yes," he said, worried eyes on Jooheon.

"In that case, you must know the sweeter the blood the greater the nutrients?" he asked. "Actually, the sweetest blood straight from the source can even enhance an ability, strengthen it. Has Shownu ever you told you about that?"

I.M shook his head, turning his attention back to Hangil. "No."

"Ah, it seems Shownu withheld a lot of information from his clan. I shouldn't be surprised. Shownu has always been an interesting one very pro-human it seemed," he said, voice thoughtful. "Chul, I think it is time."

I.M looked at Chul, confused. He wondered what despicable thing Hangil wished to accomplish next. He pushed his curiosity aside and turned toward Jooheon. The younger vampire remained seated on the ground. He had to make sure the other was okay. He took a few cautious steps toward the other. Hangil didn't move or comment, so he continued.

I.M knelt beside Jooheon and place a hand upon his shoulder. "Hey, Jooheon, are you okay? Are you hurt?"

I.M waited, a ball of nervousness erupting in his chest. He couldn't sense Jooheon in the bond. It was so hard to know if the other vampire was okay. I.M moved closer, wrapping an arm around Jooheon's shoulders. He hoped the younger vampire wasn't doing poorly.

"It's okay I.M. All they did was shout at me," Jooheon said, glancing at him. "They think I am holding myself back. But I can't do any more than what I've already done."

I.M glance over his shoulder at the smashed desk. "I've never heard of a new vampire possessing the ability you have. I've heard of feral vampires with powerful abilities. I know why this happened, but it is still surprising."

"I'm surprised too," Jooheon said.

Hysterical shrieks filled the atmosphere. I.M stilled, worried by the tortured screams. On his right, Jooheon mirrored the same expression. Fear seeped through the bond. A sigh left his lips. It seemed the other vampire was experiencing another burst of emotion.

A delicious scent wafted toward his nose. His eyes slipped close as he savored the scent. He hadn't been given too much to drink while in the council's custody. His stomach ached and he noticed the dryness of his throat. After a few minutes of drowning in the sweet aroma, he opened his eyes.

"Let go of me! Please!"

More desperate screams filled the room. I.M turned in search of the voice, worried. When his eyes landed on a familiar face, he paused. Gunhee. He knew he recognized the scent from somewhere. He analyzed the situation further a sense of foreboding settling upon his shoulders. Gunhee stood, imprisoned by the pair of thick hands on his shoulders. He glanced at the stern expression on Chul's face. The older vampire held the human in place, a disinterested expression on his face. I.M frowned. Gunhee's presence concerned him.

Gunhee's watery eyes settled upon Jooheon. "Jooheon? Jooheon!"

"Gunhee?"

Hangil stood beside Chul and Gunhee, lips quirking to an amused smile. He looked between the two. I.M didn't like the situation. He didn't know what was happening, but he could tell he wouldn't like it. There was no reason for Gunhee to be in the room.

Hangil moved closer to the human, sniffing his exposed neck. "Ah, the sweetest scent."

"Get away from him!" Jooheon shouted, eyes red and fangs barred.

I.M nearly fell back from the unexpected anger surging through the bond. These past few days he hadn't sensed Jooheon in the bond. He was unprepared for the moment. The emotions from his clan and Jooheon's anger were too much for him to handle at the same time. But there was nothing he could do to stop it.

"Oh?" Hangil asked, eyes crinkling from excitement. "You know this human? Of course, he was with you when you were snooping around the council."

Jooheon jumped to his feet. "I said get away from him!"

"Now, now, Jooheon," Hangil said. "Remember what I said. Don't get angry with me. It is in your best interest to listen to everything I say carefully."

Jooheon didn't argue. I.M looked at Hangil, eyes narrowed. The older vampire enjoyed playing games with others. It was something he hated at the council meetings. His eyes drifted to the shock on Gunhee's face. He glanced at Jooheon and then frowned. He almost forgot that the last time Gunhee saw his friend was when he was human.

Gunhee made eye contact with Jooheon. "Wait? You're a vampire?"

Jooheon's shoulder's slouched, his anger lessening at the question.

"Yes, yes I am," Jooheon said, exhaustion evident in his voice.

"I don't understand I—who? Who did this to you?"

I.M avoided Gunhee's curious gaze. He knew Gunhee suspected him. After all, he turned Hyungwon. He nibbled at his lip; the weight of the stare was too much. He met Gunhee's eyes again. He didn't look angry. But he knew eventually he would be upset. Jooheon had been angry with him for turning Hyungwon. He closed his eyes for a second, trying to push away all the confusing emotions swirling around within him. The emotions of his clan and the sudden burst of worry from Jooheon weighed him down. He felt smothered.

"Yes, the big reveal," Hangil said, bored from the human's shock. "But let's not lose focus."

I.M opened his eyes, returning his stare to Hangil.

"Do you know why you are here, Gunhee?" Hangil asked, fingers moving pieces of hair from the human's forehead.

I.M hated Hangil. It was obvious the older vampire was toying with Gunhee. Hangil enjoyed watching others suffer. I.M always knew their vampire leader was scum but it was hard to voice his concerns when the council had done so much for them. The council helped them get free housing and jobs. Most vampires weren't given the luxury because of the human government's harsh rules and council favoritism. But he no longer cared about what the council did. The council were filled with monsters.

"Please, let me go," Gunhee said, lips trembling. "Please."

"No, that's not the right answer," Hangil said. "What do you think everyone? Should I give him a hint? I think I should. Well, human, our newest vampire, Jooheon needs more strength. And your sweet tempting blood is going to help. Aren't you honored? You should be."

"My blood?"

"I won't drink from him or Yugyeom. I will not drink from any of my friends that you have imprisoned here. You might as well let them go."

"Interesting how you seem to think you have a choice," Hangil said. "I must inform you that you don't. You'll drink from your friend or I will. And unlike you, I have no emotional connection to him whatsoever, so nothing will stop me from killing him. Actually, I'll have much fun murdering him in front of your eyes."

I.M narrowed his eyes. "Let go of Jooheon's friend, Hangil."

"I'm sorry are you telling me what to do?" Hangil asked. "It's like you've forgotten my position. I'm Head council member. I'm leader of the vampires of this district and many more. You can't tell me to do anything, Changkyun."

I.M chest tightened at the use of his real name.

Hangil leaned forward, taking another whiff of Gunhee. Jooheon tensed, taking one step forward. The older vampire looked at him and then walked over. He towered over Jooheon, fake sympathy shining from his dark red eyes. He reached out, placing a hand on the younger vampire's shoulder.

"Listen, Jooheon," Hangil said, voice dripping with fake concern. "I'm just trying to help you understand the bigger picture here. After a drink, you'll have more strength than you have now to control your ability. We are about to enter a whole new era and well that is going to involve humans finally ending up in their rightful place. You know what that place is right, Jooheon? I'm sure I don't have to explain any further. Now, I won't repeat myself. I want you to drink."

Jooheon shook his head. "Please, I can't."

Hangil stepped back.

"I understand. Really I do."

Hangil walked toward Gunhee and stopped right in front of the trembling human. He placed a single hand upon the human's right shoulder. He looked over his left shoulder at them. A disappointed expression appeared upon his face.

"I guess you choose death for your friend," he said and then looked at Gunhee. "You hear that? Your friend rather watch you die. I guess you don't know your friend as well."

Tears rolled down Gunhee's face. His watery eyes met I.M's. Hangil increased his grip, causing a pained yelp to leave Gunhee's lips. The older vampire dipped, sharp fangs hovering right at the juncture of Gunhee's neck and left shoulder.

"Don't. I'll do it. Get away from him."

I.M turned to the blank expression on the other's face. He could no longer sense the anger and fear. Nothing. Jooheon had returned to his emotionless self. He walked toward Hangil and Gunhee. Hangil grinned, moving to the side. I.M shook his head. He tried to lift his foot but couldn't move. He didn't know what he would have done to help, but he wanted to act quickly. But he couldn't act.

"Hey Gun," Jooheon said, voice void of all emotion.

Gunhee's eyes widened as his friend approached him. "Jooheon?"

Jooheon wiped the tears away from his friend's cheeks with the pads of his thumbs. A sad smile fell upon Jooheon's lips as he placed his forehead against his friend's. They held eye contact as if communicating secretly between each other. The sight hurt to witness. The moment between them truly showcased the beauty and love within their friendship. Jooheon and Gunhee didn't deserve the torture.

"Jooheon, please. Please, help me," he said.

"There is nothing I can do," Jooheon said, moving his forehead away. "If I don't, he'll kill you.

"What are you talking about?" Gunhee asked, voice wavering. "You are scaring me."

Chul kept Gunhee still with his hands on each shoulder. He placed one large hand upon the Gunhee's head and pushed his head to the left side. Jooheon's eyes swept over the expanse of Gunhee's exposed neck. For a second, nervousness entered the bond and then disappeared. I.M wanted to reach out and stop the scenery unfolding before him, but he couldn't.  Jooheon held onto his friend's shoulders tightened. A pair of lips hovered over the other's neck.

"Don't hate me too much, Gun," Jooheon said, whispering into his neck. "I love you. You are like a brother to me. So, I have to do the only thing I can to save you. Forgive me."

"Jooheon?" Gunhee asked, thrashing in place. "Jooheon! What are you doing? Wait! Please, wait! Jooheon, no! No, please!"

I.M fought against the invisible bonds keeping him in place. If he could move, he'd throw himself at Hangil and Chul. Gunhee would be able to make a run for it. But he still couldn't move. Pleas continuously left the human. Jooheon didn't respond. Instead he eased his sharp fangs into the tender flesh, eyes closed.

Horrific shrieks escaped Gunhee's lips as he tried his best to push Jooheon away. Fingernails scratched against Jooheon's back as the screaming turned to tragic sobbing and then back to hysterical screaming. Soon the scratching and screaming stopped. Nausea washed over him as he watched a trail of blood run down the human's neck. He avoided the gruesome scene, focusing his stare on Hangil.

Hangil walked over to him and stood nearby, eyes surveying the horrific sight. "Ah, the screams of a pathetic human being is exactly what I love to hear. I'm just so excited for the future. One day very very soon, vampires will be back where they belong, on top. And humans will be treated as they should be, food."

I.M gritted his teeth, trying his best to escape his invisible chains. Gunhee's fingers fluttered against Jooheon's back. It was obvious the human was losing consciousness. Pressure built behind his own eyes as he closed them. He couldn't watch anymore. His stomach turned. He couldn't watch the scene any longer.

"Now, what is this? No, that won't do. You have to see," Hangil said. "Open your eyes."

His eyelids flew open at the command. Often, he forgot how powerful Hangil could be. The older vampire was too confident in his own abilities and rarely felt the need to showcase his strength. He glanced at Hangil, eyes narrowed, rage burning with in his chest.

"Now, why are you closing your eyes?" Hangil asked. "Don't you want to make sure your fledgling eats well? I know you care about Jooheon's health."

"You monster."

"Consider this scene as punishment for trying to hide a sixth vampire from me in the first place. Now, if you excuse me, I have an annoying meeting to attend with some tiresome humans," Hangil said and then looked at Ji. "Ji, stay behind and see to it, Jooheon continues his training. And stop Jooheon if it looks like he'll go too far. We aren't going to drain the human, yet. His blood is precious. Chul, you'll come with me."

Chul stepped away from Gunhee, removing his hands from his shoulders. The human's knees buckled as his full weight rested against Jooheon, eyes rolling to the back of his head. The door slammed shut and Ji remained. After a few more terrifying minutes, Jooheon pulled away and opened his eyes.

"Gun, Gunhee?"

Jooheon wrapped his friend up in his arms, burying his face in the juncture of his friend's right shoulder. The younger vampire continued to whisper his friend's name against his shoulder, voice muffled. I.M stood there and watched the scene, guilt settling upon his shoulders. Sorrow swelled within his chest as he witnessed Jooheon's nearly silent breakdown. I.M felt like it had been his fault. He made a promise to protect the other vampire, but he failed. He broke out of his trance and rushed to the two.

Jooheon lifted his head and looked at him, blood drenching his neck and coloring around his lips. The sight was horrific and brought him back to when he had turned Jooheon and Hyungwon. He didn't want this for any of them, but the circumstances were out of his control. He moved in closer.

I.M turned his attention to the swollen and red bite mark on Gunhee's neck. He looked back up, meeting Jooheon's emotionless stare. I.M licked his thumb and pressed it to Gunhee's wound. It was a trick he learned from a vampire he met years and years ago. The swollen bite mark reduced in size no longer red and angry from possible infection.

"Vampire saliva can heal a bite mark," he said, avoiding Jooheon's gaze. "Vampire bites are agonizingly painful, like dying. The pain must have knocked him out."

Jooheon didn't respond.

I.M placed his hand upon Jooheon's shoulder. "You did what you had to do, Jooheon."

Jooheon didn't look at him, eyes focused on his friend. I.M turned away from the friends, a heaviness growing in his chest. He turned his attention to Ji. The older vampire had been watching silently, bored by the horrific scene. He pushed off the wall he rested against and walked toward them.

"Don't," I.M said, stepping between Jooheon and Ji. "He has been through enough. They both have."

Ji glanced at him and then looked over his shoulder at Jooheon. "Now that you are fed. It's time for you to get back to work. Drop the blood sack and go back to training."

Jooheon's grip tightened on his unconscious friend. "Don't you dare call Gunhee a blood sack. He is my best friend. Don't you dare insult him."

Ji tilted his head. "Well he is human and therefore a blood sack. You need to get use to the word because once Hangil becomes leader of both humans and vampires well humans will be beneath us. That human is going to end up as livestock anyway. And he is a sweet one, who knows how many will want to have a taste."

Jooheon's grip on his friend tightened a fraction as he hissed. Blood red eyes burned with anger at the comment. I.M clenched his fists, a surge of burning rage entered the bond. He didn't move from his spot. It would be best if Jooheon and Ji didn't get any closer to each other. The last thing Jooheon needed was a fight. Although, he wouldn't mind teaching Ji a lesson.

"Get angry all you want, fledgling. But don't give Hangil a reason to tear your human to shreds. It'd be better for the human if you get to work. Not to say I care about the bloodsack."

Jooheon turned his eyes away from Ji and focused on his friend. He arranged his friend in his arms so he could carry him to the other side of the room. Jooheon gently placed Gunhee on the ground, removing the jacket he had on and placing it underneath his friend's head. Jooheon knelt before his friend and whispered apologies over him. I.M wished he could fix things but there was nothing he could do. They were trapped and had to go along with what the council wanted them to do.

"Well?" Ji asked, arms crossed.

Jooheon narrowed his eyes at Ji and returned his gaze to Gunhee. A small fond smile formed on his face. The younger vampire got to his feet, creating distance between his friend and him. He turned toward another wall. He focused on the wall; brows furrowed in concentration. An apple sized crater formed in the wall, small pieces sprinkling onto the ground. Jooheon had just put a decent sized hole in the wall with his mind. It was unenviable.

"That is, it?" Ji asked. "Maybe you need a little more blood from that useless human of yours."

Jooheon didn't respond. Instead he kept focusing like he did before. There was a crackling sound as the crater widened in the wall. I.M couldn't believe his eyes. After a few seconds of silent work, Jooheon stopped. The younger vampire rested his forehead in the newly formed crater.

"I'm disappointed by the size of the crater," Ji stated. "But I'm sure with more blood you'll have more to show me. For now, you've passed. I'll be leaving but don't even think about leaving this room. And the same goes for you I.M."

Ji slammed the door shut behind him. Silence filled the room. I.M frowned. Jooheon still hadn't moved from his position, body hunched over, forehead resting in the hole. I.M rushed toward the vampire, concern washing over him.

He placed his hand on Jooheon's shoulder. "Jooheon? Jooheon!"

I.M pulled Jooheon away from the wall, eyes wide. His eyes landed on the small trail of black blood running down Jooheon's nose. A sense of urgency nearly swept him away as he called out to the dazed vampire, worried and frightened. He helped the younger vampire take a seat. Jooheon's eyes open slightly but threatened to close every few seconds.

"Hey," he said, shaking his shoulder. "Hey, Jooheon!"

Jooheon smiled, heading rolling from side to side.

A door opened in the background, but he didn't bother to see the newcomer. Jooheon wasn't responding well to him. Light footsteps caught his attention for a split second, but he didn't move. On his right, Boram knelt beside him, reaching out for Jooheon's face. She cupped the younger vampires face in her hands.

"Just as I expected, your new ability is far too difficult to control," she said, examining the black and red blood staining his lips. "Telekinesis maybe a coveted ability but if you aren't old enough to handle the strength of the power there are often problems."

"Boram?" Jooheon asked, dazed, struggling to keep his eyes open. "What is she doing here, I.M?"

She looked at I.M and then back at him.

"Nothing, she is doing nothing," I.M said, glaring at Boram. "Boram, I don't want to hear a word you have to say after everything I just witnessed. And don't you dare act like you care."

Boram removed her hands from Jooheon's face. "I'll ignore your hostility for now. Jooheon will need rest but after he'll be fine after a blood bag or two. He'll have to take his time while training. It's important."

"Do you even hear what you are saying right now? Just get away from him," I.M asked.

"I understand you are worried."

"Worried? I'm more than worried," I.M said. " And just to let you know what ever little bit of trust I had well its gone. I absolutely don't trust you now."

"That is just too bad," she said, voice calm. "Because everything that has happened needed to happen for us to move forward."

"Nothing needed to happen. If you wanted to help, you would have stopped all of this from happening, but you didn't so you're a monster."

Boram glared, eyes an angry red. "This is what happens when you let your emotions cloud your reasoning. I'll have you know we are in a crucial moment. Hangil has gotten even more unstable as the days have gone on. And for anything to work out you have to trust me."

I.M shook his head. "How can I trust you? I've trusted you before and I had to turn Jooheon. Jooheon had to drink from his friend. And you were nowhere to be found in any of that."

She sighed, getting to her feet. "The time will come, and I need you to take it seriously."

I.M frowned. He was still uncertain. Boram had ignored everything that happened under the council roof. If she had been on their side, she would have stopped everything. He sighed. Boram looked at Jooheon and then over at Gunhee on the other side of the room.

"I'll have to take the human."

Jooheon reached out, placing a tired hand over Boram's. "Please, don't."

"Don't worry Jooheon, she will do no such thing," I.M said, voice firm. "Jooheon's friend stays with him. You won't take anyone anywhere."

Boram looked at Jooheon. "I'll bring over some blood bags for you."

She disappeared out the door, giving him a moment alone with his thoughts. There had been so much emotional turmoil for him to handle. Jooheon didn't deserve this. Gunhee didn't deserve this. He focused his attention on Jooheon, watching his eyelids rise and fall every few seconds. It was clear the younger vampire was exhausted.

Jooheon made eye contact with him. "I hurt Gunhee. He is going to hate me. He'll be afraid of me."

I.M glanced at the human and then back to Jooheon. "I don't think he'll hate you or fear you."

Jooheon didn't reply. Instead, Jooheon placed his left hand to the ground, struggling to get to his feet. I.M tried to tell him to take it easy but the younger refused. A sigh left I.M's lips as he watched Jooheon get to his feet. I.M turned around, a frown on his lips.

"Jooheon?"

Jooheon knelt next to his human friend. They hadn't been able to focus on the human since everything happened. He hoped Gunhee was okay. The younger vampire bent, ear hovering over Gunhee's  lips. Relief washed over I.M and he basked in the warmth of it. Jooheon pressed his ear to Gunhee's blood-soaked shirt. After a few seconds, he brought his head back up, body trembling from grief.

"I'm so sorry, Gun," Jooheon said, voice laced with sadness. "I'm so so sorry."

I.M walked over to them, taking a seat nearby. "How is he?"

"There's a heartbeat and his breathing is fairly strong," Jooheon said, trying to control his  sudden emotional outburst.

"Vampire bites are only fatal for humans if we let them be, so he'll survive this without the need for medical assistance. You didn't intend to harm him, so he'll be fine," I.M shared. " My saliva has healed the bite mark and that has stopped the bleeding. He'll wake."

Jooheon nodded. "I know."

I.M gave Jooheon's right shoulder a squeeze of assurance.

"I'm tired."

"It's okay. Please rest.  I'll make sure no one will disturb you or your friend. It's the least I can do after I failed both of you."

Jooheon rested his head against the cold ground, eyes on his friend's face. His eyelids fell shut as his fingers slipped between Gunhee's own. Pressure built behind I.M's eyes as he watched over them. There was so much he wished he could do for them, but he gave his freedom away to the council. He could do nothing.

Jooheon's eyes cracked open, focusing his attention on him. "Just so you know I don't think you are a failure."

"Thanks, I needed to hear that right now."

Jooheon gave him a soft smile, eyelids falling as he drifted back to sleep. A small sense of warmth and happiness filled the bond. A small smile fell across I.M's lips. It was good to know Jooheon felt at ease for the moment. As he sat and watched over the two best friends, he allowed the warmth of their shared bond to wash over him. For a moment, he felt at ease too.

~~

Hello everyone! It has been such a long time since the last chapter. I've been busy but all this chapter was intense. I wanted to make sure I captured the scene right. Hopefully, I did. Thanks to all my readers and those leaving votes and comments. You all are the best!!!! Hopefully, the next chapter won't take this long! But here it is and the chapter is super long! Well long for my usual standards.

I'm curious to know what you all think about this chapter. Feel free to leave a comment if you'd like. Thanks again!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3K 293 17
"I still hate what your family has done but I can't stop protecting you" Yura a vampire killer who has the ability to differentiate humans and vampi...
9.1K 412 22
When Jiwoo is sent on a mission to hunt a vampire, she went for revenge. The said vampire killed her twin brother. When she set out, she never though...
191K 8.4K 39
"that mark symbolize that you're mine now, all mine, and mine only." Jake was living a peaceful life; no regrets, no worries, just pure happiness. No...
5.6K 248 36
"I know he was your first, but I intend to be your last and forever, no matter how long it will take" Lee Jiwoo is a 16 year old girl who is about to...