Over the Mountains // Thorin...

Por JadeCross4ever

Persephone is the rarest race in Middle Earth. She isn't a half breed... but a quarter breed. What she doesnt... Mais

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25

Chapter 13

2.6K 49 5
Por JadeCross4ever

For the next several hours Persephone stayed as far from Thorin as possible and stuck as close as she could to Fili and Kili, hoping that it would prevent any nervous encounters. When Beorn returned and replied that the orcs wouldn't beat them to Mirkwood but were close, Persephone happily busied herself saddling the ponies.

"Got your bag Seph," Kili called, scurrying out of the house with her bag.

He tossed it to her and she slung it onto her pony with a smile, "Thanks Kee."

She began to put the bit to her pony's mouth and realized that her pony was the stubborn one. She was just about to wiggle her finger into the horse's jaw to pry his mouth open when a voice caught her attention and she almost jumped when THorin's intimidating figure appeared on the other side of her horse's head.

"Having trouble?" he smirked.

Sepha felt her cheeks go red and she didn't look up to meet his steady gaze, "I should have saddled this young fella for you. You two would make good companions."

THorin chuckled and reaching over, he took the bit from Sepha's hand. She felt her cheeks flame red when his calloused finger brushed against her soft one and quickly ducked her head, hiding behind her brown waves.

She watched as Thorin put the bit to the horse's mouth and immediately, the horse opened his mouth and Thorin slipped the halter on. Sepha raised her eyebrow and saw that THorin's blue eyes were twinkling with mischief.

"Nothing a little sugar cannot handle," THorin remarked, revealing that he had a small handful of sugar cubes in his hand.

Sepha shook her head ruefully, "You tyrant. Now he'll be a biter."

THorin smiled, "Well then you two would make a perfect team."

Sepha's head snapped up and she placed her hands on her hips. Thorin tried not to chuckle but a huge grin spread across his face at the sight. She looked so cute when she was offended and the whole hands on hips thing didn't help Thorin's infatuation which was now almost unbearable especially when she cocked her head to the side, her hair falling off her shoulder and revealing her smooth, white neck and shoulder.

"Now I will pretend I didnt hear that."

"Then who will we offer this brute to?" THorin inquired.

Sepha peered around at all the dwarves and realized that most of them had already mounted or chosen a pony. Then, her eyes settled on Fili and Kili who were heading out of the house, having finally emerged with all their things. A smirk appeared on her face and she took the reins from Thorin.

Thorin watched the girl approach his nephews and hold out the reins to his youngest nephew, completely faking innocence and Kili took the reins, completely oblivious to the mischievous smile playing on THorin's face.

Sepha spun on her heel and skipped back to Thorin, her green eyes twinkling, "This'll be good."

THorin shook his head and smiled down at the girl who slung her bag onto her back and picked a more agreeable pony, "I had no idea you had a mischievous streak in you."

"I usually don't," Sepha replied. "But that's what happens when you hang around those two."

Before Thorin could comment further, Sepha had swung up onto her pony and had trotted over to Fili. THorin found his pony and had mounted just when a surprised yelp erupted from Kili. The young dwarf had found it impossible to get his pony to move until Sepha came over and slapped his pony across the rear end, sending the horse into a perfect gallop, almost dropping the dwarf.

Sepha and Fili were laughing so hard that they were almost falling off their ponies. Balin and Dwalin were grinning while the other dwarves quickly made bets as to how long Kili would manage to hang onto the horse.

Thorin smiled and seeing that Gandalf was still talking to Beorn, maneuvered his horse in Sepha's direction. He was hoping, seeing as they would only be traveling at a trot to Mirkwood, that he would have some time to talk with Sepha. However, this proved much more difficult than he thought.

The moment Balin and Dwalin saw the dwarf prince heading in Sepha's direction, they found a good reason to steer Fili as far from Sepha as possible, leaving Thorin plenty of room to move his horse next to Sepha's. However, Sepha was much more keen on things happening than THorin had predicted and noticing Balin and Dwalin's move, she had spied Thorin heading her way and turning her pony, she had trotted straight over to Bifur, Bofur and Bombur who at once began talking with her about Kili and the pony and their bets.

Thorin pulled his pony to a halt and sighed. Why was she avoiding him? It was like she didn't mind talking with him but didn't seem comfortable being around him alone for too long.

Thorin became aware of another presence next to him and turned to see Dwalin and Balin on either side of him. Both looked disappointed.

"Nice try though laddie," Balin remarked sadly.

Dwalin patted Thorin's shoulder and smiled encouragingly, "SHe's a hard one that lass. But that doesn't mean she's no less worthy to be won."

"On the contrary," Balin remarked, leaning over to look at his brother around Thorin, "She is showing respect, restraint and caution which is something you rarely see in young girls especially where Thorin is involved. Any other girl would be fawning over him the moment he showed any interest. Sepha is being cautious, not because she doesn't trust THorin but because she has never been in this situation before and she isnt yet sure what to make of it."

"Just give her time Thorin," Dwalin encouraged. "I can tell that SEpha cares about you... to what extent I don't know but at the least, she looks to you in admiration and respect."

Thorin nodded and sighed, rubbing his face with his hands, "I just hope I haven't scared her."

"No such luck," Kili remarked.

The three turned to see that Kili had miraculously survived the horse encounter but his hair was windblown and looked a fright, his eyes wide and his face still pale but pink from the wind, "She is just flustered."

"How so?" all three asked at the same time.

Kili smirked knowingly, "Don't tell my brother but I'm betting that you two will end up together before we reach the mountain. Anyway, she seemed rather flustered after your.... shirtless attempt at impressing her and after that, Fee and I noticed her looking at you occasionally but blushing crimson whenever you looked back at her."

Thorin's eyes widened and a glint of hope flashed through his eyes. Dwalin was smirking and Balin was grinning so wide that he looked creepy.

"So our little scheme worked!" he hooted, just low enough for Sepha to not hear. "now for step two of the master plan!"

"What is that?" THorin and Kili asked, looking rather concerned.

"Educate the lass in dwarves customs of courting and marriage," Balin explained.

Kili scratched his head and then realized how windblown his hair was and began to fuss over it, "Exactly how many steps are within this master plan?"

Dwalin and Balin leant over to look at each other, "Some 76...."

Kili yanked on his hair so much that he created a master knot and almost fell off his pony. THorin's eyes grew so wide that his crystal blue eyes almost looked silver and his mouth dropped open.

"Oh boy," Kili sighed.

horin knew that most of the company, especially Fili and Gandalf and Bilbo were beginning to wonder why he would turn around every five minutes to look at the rest of the company. Fili occasionally asked his brother if he knew what was up with their uncle but Kili played innocent rather well, saying he was clueless.

The truth was, everyone else knew perfectly well why for nearer to the back of the ground rode Balin and Sepha, deep in conversation. Dwalin, Kili and Fili rode in front of them and were listening in on the conversation.

"So cutting hair or beards is a sign of mourning," Sepha repeated, trying to drill the custom into her memory as Balin acquainted her with the most basic traditions.

"Or as a sign of apology," Balin explained. "See, when Thorin's father and grandfather were killed, he cut his beard which is why his is shorter than most of ours."

Sepha glanced at Kili who was looking back at her but stopped before she asked, realizing that the reason why Kili's was so short was because of his youth.

"So...if dwarves are about twice the age of a human... that makes Fili...88?"

"BINGO!" Fili called, flashing the girl a smirk and waving his hand in a mock salute, "Someone is catching on fast."

"So that makes Kili 71?" Sepha inquired.

Kili nodded, flashing her a smile as well. "What about you Seph?"

Sepha pursed her lips together and looked up at the sky, "Well.... I'm technically 61 in human years because in dwarven/elven years I'm 122."

"Hey that's not much younger than uncle," Kili remarked, a little too enthusiastically, getting a warning look of a head shake from Balin, a cut-it-out motion from Dwalin and a suspicious look from his brother.

Sepha felt her cheeks go red but she tried to push it off, "How is Thorin anyway.... unless that is a little improper to ask."

Balin chuckled, "Lass, I doubt THorin would mind you asking his age. He is not ashamed, since he is technically in his prime but once you reach my age, it is just disgraceful."

Sepha laughed, "Oh Balin, being old isnt a bad thing!"

Dwalin saw that the conversation had gotten off topic so he quickly reverted it back to Thorin, "THorin is 195 lass. You do the math. I'm too tired."

Sepha wrinkled her nose and you could basically see her brain gears turning, "ninety....seven?"

"In and around those parts," Kili replied, getting a glare from the other three who were getting rather annoyed at his interruptions.

"Jeez.... you're really young Seph," Fili remarked, teasingly.

Sepha faked pout, "Oh you're one to talk! technically, you're only 44!"

Fili's eyes widened, "I THINK I"M GOING TO TALK TO ORI BEFORE YOU ALL MAKE ME FEEL LIKE A BABY!"

With that, he urged his horse on and Kili followed him, followed by the laughs from Balin, Dwalin and Sepha.

"So brother," Dwalin said, trying to urge his brother to get to the point. "Did you talk about dwarven customs for dams?"

"Dams?" Sepha inquired.

"Female dwarves lass," Balin replied. "And no we haven't yet. We actually should... since you are the lass of the company."

Sepha smiled at the title he gave her, "What do you think is the most important tradition?"

Balin thought a moment before replying, "Probably exchanges that pass between dwarrows and dams."

"You mean like in courtship?" Sepha asked, so far oblivious.

Balin nodded, "Exactly. dwarves hold the rite of marriage in very high esteem. Probably higher than most races. When we marry our one, we are married for life and are dedicated to our very souls to our mate."

A smile had appeared on Sepha's face and Dwalin was glad that Balin's description seemed to please her.

"Dwarves only court once and that is when they are sure they have found their One. I'm sure you've heard of the One?"

Sepha nodded, "Most certainly. It is legend that when dwarves were created, Mahal created two beings from one body, each other's One. Neither would feel complete till they found their other half."

Balin nodded, "Exactly lass."

Sepha cocked her head, "So... what are some things that go between men and women during courtship?"

"Well," Balin said, pretending to think. "When a dwarf is sure he found his one and wants to court her, he tries to impress her to get her attention and hopefully win her favor before asking for her permission to court her. He will try to impress her by feets of arms... combat, sparring and showing of strength and ability. Also if he shows signs of deep respect for the lass, defending her and acting as a protector and respectful companion."

Sepha nodded, having not caught on till she heard the last part and she practically froze. Her face went ashen white and at once, the two dwarves feared that she was afraid or shocked. Her green eyes slowly flitted away from Balin to the tall, dark haired figure of the dwarf prince riding at the front. His back was to her and he was conversing with FIli and Kili.

Balin was about to speak when he saw Sepha's cheeks go bright pink and she ducked her head. He decided that it was enough of a lesson for one day.

After a while, Sepha slowed her horse to join Ori and Dori near the back, leaving Balin and Dwalin out of earshot. The two exchanged knowing looks and winks, shaking hands while she wasn't looking.

"Seems like she's noticed the obvious," Balin whispered.

Dwalin nodded, "Now what?"

Balin smirked and rubbed his hands together in anticipation, "Step three.... sign of respect from Thorin."

Dwalin nodded, "but how will we do that? We're not stopping for the night."

Balin pursed his lips together and glanced at Sepha, "We'll be stopping to water the ponies in a few minutes and to relieve ourselves... Get the others... don't tell Bilbo, Fili or the others who are on Fili's side of the bet. Get the others to practically cling to Sepha when we stop so if she tries to have some privacy, she'll find it hard. I'll alert Thorin to the plan and he can take it from there."

A mischievous smile lit up Dwalin's face and he grinned, "Perfect. I'm off."

Dwalin slowed his horse to talk to Nori, Bifur and Bofur while Balin urged his horse to Thorin who was talking with Gandalf.

Sepha seemed completely oblivious except for the exchange that happened between THorin and Balin. she hadn't thought anything of the conversation with Balin except at how startled she was to realize that THorin might very well have been trying to impress her the other day at Beorn's. Now that she thought of it, it hadn't been the first time. There had been the time when he had sparred with Dwalin in front of her... but she shook her head. It was doubtful that someone like Thorin would have an interest in her... a quarter breed.

Sepha quickly looked back at Ori when she realized that after talking with Balin for a moment, Thorin had looked over his shoulder at the girl with a look she didn't have time to read. If she had looked, she would have seen a smile on his face, and a flicker of bright hope in his beautiful blue eyes.

Little did she know, that half the company were trying their hardest to see the two get together as a couple before they reached the mountain. With Fili and the other half of the company pressing on them, they had no choice.

HEY THERE! I know I haven't spoken outside of reading but I've been really busy with senior year:)

I hope you like the story so far! I'm really enjoying writing it. This chapter, and the next chapter have been so fun to write!

Quick disclaimer if I didn't already, none of the characters except Persephone and her family are mine. All rights go to JRR Tolkien and Peter Jackson. Also, none of the pics are mine either, I found them all online:)

Enjoy!!!

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

134K 4.4K 27
BOOK ONE OF THE RANGER OF THE SOUTH TRILOGY Keira is a Ranger of the South. She is summoned by a certain wizard to go on a quest with thirteen dwarv...
447 37 22
Ayla is an elf with no home But welcome almost everywhere No parents no siblings only friends she makes on the road This description will probably ch...
20.2K 702 21
Published as completed book on: May 30th of the year 2019. Like a bird with no wings, Like a book with no words, Like a man with no eyes, A night wit...
179K 5.4K 38
Enmira is a half elven skin changer, that went through a lot in her early years. After an encounter with Gandalf, she sees the company that she needs...