Over the Mountains // Thorin...

By JadeCross4ever

Persephone is the rarest race in Middle Earth. She isn't a half breed... but a quarter breed. What she doesnt... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25

Chapter 9

3K 69 1
By JadeCross4ever

when Thorin came to, the first thing he thought of was Bilbo for he was the last person he saw before he blacked out, "The halfling."

Gandalf sighed, glad he was alright, "it's alright. Bilbo is here. He's quite safe."

Kili and Dwalin helped THorin to his feet but he pushed them off, turning to face Bilbo, "You! What were you doing? Didn't you know you just got yourself killed? Didn't I say that you would be a burden? That you had no place amongst us?"

There was a long dreadful silence. A thousand things were running through Thorin's head. He remembered Sepha's words. Even though she had known that Bilbo had contemplated leaving, she remained strong to him... because she cared. She didn't just care about her kin... she cared about everyone.

"I have never been so wrong in my life," he sighed, drawing the hobbit in for a big hug.

There were cheers behind him and he smiled as Bilbo hugged him back. When he released him, he patted the hobbit's shoulder, "And I'm sorry I doubted you."

"no I would have doubted me too. I'm not a hero or a warrior. Or even a burglar."

The others chuckled at that but it was cut short when Kili's horrified voice cut out, "SEPHA!"

All eyes snapped around just in time to see the last eagle land, carrying gently in its claws, the injured girl. He set her down and cawed sadly at the sight of the unconscious girl.

Kili and Fili were at her side in an instant with Thorin, Gandalf, Dwalin, Balin and Oin next.

"Sepha pleased wake up," Fili whispered, gripping one of her hands.

Kill drew the girl's head into his lap and pushed her hair out of her face which was battered and bruised, her lip was busted and there was a small scratch on her cheek, just across the cheekbone.

"let me through," Oin instructed, Dwalin moving back for him. "let me see the lass."

Kneeling down, he felt her pulse, listened to her breathing and began to inspect her wounds, not letting anyone else get a good look at the wounds, "It's bad. We need to get to a place that has fresh water and linens. my supplies were lost in Goblin Town. I need to stitch her up or it'll open again and she'll bleed to death or die of infection. I can bandage her up but someone will have to carry her."

"We can take turns," Dwalin, Fili and Kili said all together.

"What do you need Oin?" Thorin asked, trying to bite back the worry in his tone.

"I need someone to hold her shoulders down. Kili, keep her head still. Fili, hold her hands down and Balin, would you mind pinning her knees? I have an ointment that will keep infection down but it will burn."

Everyone nodded and began to get into their positions. Kili moved so that he was looking down at Sepha's face and placed his hands on either side of her face, running his thumbs over her cheek gently. Fili gripped both of her wrists to her sides while Thorin knelt across from him, placing a hand on her shoulders and holding her down. Considering that he had to reach over to hold down both her shoulders, Thorin's face was looking down at hers and he felt his heart stop.

Even covered in blood and dirt from battle, she amazed him at how beautiful she was. She looked so peaceful lying there unconscious... but not for long. The moment Oin poured the ointment on her side, the girl let out a loud, ear piercing scream and her body tensed. the dwarves held her down and Kili pressed his forehead to hers, whispering words of comfort.

"It's okay Seph," he whispered. "We're almost done... we're almost there."

Soon, she stopped and she passed out from the pain. The dwarves all relaxed and stepped back while Oin quickly wrapped the wound with what he had. When he was done, he turned to Dwalin, "If you carry her first, try to be careful of her back. I still haven't tended to her lashes yet."

Dwalin obeyed. He knelt down and carefully scooped the girl up into his arms. Everyone could tell that Sepha was petite, barely reaching Kili's height but being carried by Dwalin dwarfed her even more. Her face lolled back over Dwalin's arm.

"Can someone prop her head?" he asked. "Her neck will be sore."

Before Fili or Kili could move to do so, Thorin walked over and gently taking the girl's head in his hands, moved it so that her head was lying against Dwalin's chest. Dwalin nodded, shifting the girl in his arms so that it was easier to carry her.

"That's better."

"How long do you think you can carry her?" Fili asked.

Thorin looked at his nephew and realized that both Fili and Kili's faces were twisted into looks of fear and there were tears appearing in their eyes. They were afraid for the girl and he was too, but he didn't realize that until now... the two had never been so afraid.

"About an hour," Dwalin said. "Then you can take turns."

The two nodded and followed. By the time they stopped for the night, almost all the dwarves had taken turns carrying the girl. First Dwalin, then Fili, kili, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur and even Gandalf. Thorin had wanted to carry her after Dwalin but Fili had beaten him to it. His two nephews had literally trailed after Dwalin like shadows just to make sure he didn't need help with the girl. After Kili he was going to ask but something had made him doubt. He had already hurt Sepha too much and he was afraid to do it again. In that case, his hesitation meant that the others beat him to it.

When they stopped for the night, Dwalin laid his cloak on the ground for the girl and they laid her on her stomach so as to aggravate her lashes. Fili and Kili then slept on either side of her, both on their sides, facing her so that they would be able to see if she needed help in the night. she had still not woken up from her unconscious state since Oin had put that ointment on her and the dwarf was beginning to worry.

While everyone else laid around, all whispering worried things about the girl, Thorin found he couldn't sleep and neither could Dwalin. Both stayed up on watch together, their backs to each other. However, both knew that the other was occasionally looking in the girl's direction for any sign of awareness.

At one point, Thorin heard his nephews whispering and listened in on their conversation.

"You can sleep for a while Ki," Fili whispered. "I'll keep an eye on her."

Kili shook his head, "I couldn't sleep if I wanted to. You know... when we left home.... I found it almost impossible to fall asleep if Sepha didn't sing something.... it reminded me of home and made me feel like I was back home in my own bed... now... with Sepha hurt... it's like I know that we really aren't back home."

There was a silence in which Thorin bit his lip. He had let the company down... all of them. He had let Bilbo down in not trusting him. he had left Sepha down by hurting her in a way that was out of turn.... and he hurt the company by not being there for Persephone. He had hurt her in more ways than one. If he hadn't said those things to her, she might have not gotten whipped in Goblin town or stabbed. If he hadn't snapped about Bilbo she wouldn't have left and the warg wouldn't have bit her and broken her ribs... he had let them down.

"Don't you think that Sepha is like mom?" Kili whispered.

Dwalin and Thorin's heads both snapped around at this, surprised at the remark.

FIli smiled, "Yeah she is.... stubborn... brave... strong.... kind, thoughtful... and gosh she gives Uncle a run for his money!"

Kili chuckled softly, "I just cannot believe what she did back in Goblin town! Did you know about her being a skin changer?"

Fili nodded, "Yeah... I saw her morph one night while she went on patrol. I asked her about it and she swore me to secrecy. she said she didn't want anyone to know until it was absolutely necessary."

"So the first time she morphed was in front of a bunch of goblins," Kili mused.

"Well I think the goblins already knew. But, it was necessary. She saved uncle in the process."

Thorin felt his heart stop. She had saved him.... only ending in her getting hurt further. He hadn't realized that. after everything she had done to him... she had saved him. Why?

He felt a hand on his shoulder and turned to see Dwalin smiling sadly at him, "She saved you because she felt that you were worth saving."

How close is the pack?" thorin asked of Bilbo.

"Too close. Couple of leagues, no more but that is not the worst of it."

"The wargs picked up our scent?" Dwalin asked.

Dwalin was on his knees while Fili and Kili were carefully lifting Sepha onto his back. Oin said it would be best to not carry her bridal style since it strained her back. In that case they were tying her arms and legs around Dwalin's shoulders so he could use his arms to move.

"no but they will," Bilbo replied. "We have another problem."

"DID they see you?" Gandalf asked. "They saw you!"

"No that's not it."

"What did I tell you? Quiet as a mouse," Gandalf said proudly, "Excellent burglar material."

"Will you just listen!?" Bilbo cried. "I'm trying to tell you there is something else out there."

There was a pause before Gandalf spoke. "What form did it take? Like a bear?"

Bilbo began to reply but stopped, "Ye... but bigger much bigger."

"You knew about this beast?" Bofur demanded.

"He's a friend," A small voice whispered.

The dwarves all snapped around to see that Sepha was the one who had spoken. Her eyes were still closed and her head lying against the nape of Dwalin's neck but she had spoken.

"Sepha!" Kili cried, "You're awake."

"Barely," the girl whispered. "And Kili... your voice sounds like a girl."

A round of laughter rang through the group of dwarves at Kili's surprised face.

"How did you know this beast?" Balin inquired.

Sepha couldn't answer for she had passed out again but Gandalf answered, "There is a house not far from here where we can take refuge. it has clean water and the things we need to help Sepha. Besides that, it's shelter and it has food."

"Who's house?" Thorin insisted. "Is it friend or foe?"

"Neither," Gandalf replied. "He will help us or he will kill us."

"what choice do we have?" Thorin inquired/

Just then a loud roar split the air and everyone jumped.

"None."

LATER

When they came barreling into the house, the dwarves all turned to close the door when the bear's huge head poked through. It growled and the dwarves pushed against it. just when they thought that he would get through, the dwarves were gently pushed out of the way.

They all turned and their eyes nearly fell out of their heads. Sepha was standing behind them, in her wolf form, meaning that she came to about the dwarves's size. the bear stopped pushing against the door and the dwarves backed up.

Sepha approached the door and leant against it weakly. She began to growl softly and the bear growled gently back. Suddenly, the bear left and Sepha pushed the door closed, the latch closing.

"What is that?" Ori insisted.

"That is our host," Gandalf replied, getting everyone's attention. "his name is Beorn. He's a skin changer."

Right then, everyone understood how Sepha had managed to make him leave. The dwarves all turned back to the girl who had morphed back to human and was leaning against the door for support. She slowly slipped to the ground and THorin, being the closest one, didn't hesitate to jump forward and catch her bridal style.

"OIN!"

"Bring her over here," the healer instructed.

Thorin carried the girl over to him, surprised at how light she was. Oin led him to an empty stall, shooing all the other dwarves except Balin, Dwalin, FIli and Kili out.

"This is going to be painful to watch lads," Oin said, "her injuries are bad... but she needs our help."

the dwarves all nodded, straightening their backs. Sepha had saved them numerous times... they would be strong for her this time.

Oin sent Dwalin for hot water, he instructed Fili to find two knives and to clean them in more hot water. He sent Kili to find clean bandages or clean sheets and Balin was sent to get several horse tail hairs for stitches and to clean them. Thorin couldn't do much except hold the limp girl. She was awake but barely.

"It's going to be alright lass," Oin assured her, patting her hand. "We're going to get you all fixed up."

"Oin, wont the pain be too much for her?" THorin asked with worry.

Oin shrugged, "I don't have anything for the pain."

"I'll be alright," Sepha whispered, "Just give me something to bite on."

Thorin shook his head, "No one should have to endure the pain you've gone through and going through more..."

"Thorin," Sepha whispered, finding it hard to talk for her mouth was dry. "Trust me... I'm a healer...pain is only temporary... I'll be fine."

Thorin bit his lip. He couldn't bear to see her in pain again but he didn't want her to strain while arguing so he decided to let her have her way. Soon the others returned with the supplies and Oin got to work. Finding a needle in his belt, he cleaned it and threaded a horse hair through it. Laying that aside, he grabbed one of Fili's clean daggers and turned to Thorin.

"Hold her flush against you.... I have to remove the spikes from the whips from her back."

THorin felt his heart stop at those words. There were spikes in her back from the whips? He felt tears prick his eyes at realizing how much pain the girl had endured. Obeying Oin, he got Dwalin to help him slowly set the girl on her feet but he wrapped his arms around the top of her shoulders, and the other he wrapped around her waist, keeping his arms from her wounds.

Balin grabbed a glove and held it to the girl's mouth and she bit into it. Balin gently opened the back of her shirt, exposing only her back and the dwarves took a step back. The whipping marks were much worse than they had imagined. There were at least a dozen open wounds on her back, all of them a thumb wide and at least an inch deep, oozing with blood and puss.

"Oh Seph," FIli whispered. "What have they done to you?"

"Obviously not enough," Sepha whispered. "I have no idea how I'm still alive right now."

Finally, Oin got to work and Thorin felt tears spring to his eyes at the sound of the girl's muffled screams. Even biting the glove didn't muffle her screams enough and Balin had to shoo the other dwarves who had rushed to see what was wrong. When Oin finished removing the spikes, he set to work stitching the wounds shut. That pain was just as bad and soon, Sepha pressed her face into THorin's chest, muffling her screams into his chest.

On any other time, Thorin would have gone red from their close proximity but now, he only felt a knife stab his heart at every scream. Suddenly, Oin stepped back and nodded.

"She's all done."

"What about her side?" Fili asked.

Oin nodded and instructed Thorin to turn the girl around. Lifting her shirt up just enough to expose the side wound, THorin bit his lip. the wound was almost bone deep and still bleeding horribly. Oin got it cleaned and stitched within seconds but by then, Sepha had stopped screaming.

"She passed out poor thing," Balin whispered.

Thorin turned the girl over and scooped her up, "Where should we put her Oin?"

"Somewhere warm and soft," Oin instructed. "She'll be awake tomorrow but incredibly sore. Keep as much distance between her and the ground as possible. We don't want her wounds getting infected."

The dwarves nodded and soon, Fili and Kili had laid down their cloaks on a pile of straw for her. THorin laid her down and before he could object, his two nephews laid down on either side of her protectively. He took the first watch.

About two hours later, he saw his two nephews asleep. Kili had his head resting against Sepha's shoulder. Fili was still lying on his side but was holding her hand in both of his. Smiling to himself, he walked over to the three and laid his cloak over all three of them. None of them moved from the gesture but he saw his two nephews relax. He wasnt going to let any of them down again.... never.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.3K 394 23
Willow Smith, the lost witch, the scarlet witch of middle earth, and the deadliest woman alive. When a bunch of dwarves, a old wizard, and a halfling...
447 37 22
Ayla is an elf with no home But welcome almost everywhere No parents no siblings only friends she makes on the road This description will probably ch...
6.3K 149 17
■Thorin Oakenshield Fanfiction■ ■bewarned not edited enough, will fix at a later date■ Dragons, mythic beasts that was known for their destructive...
179K 5.4K 38
Enmira is a half elven skin changer, that went through a lot in her early years. After an encounter with Gandalf, she sees the company that she needs...