Resilient Lily

By LovelyDeformity

To be reborn into a world where demons rule the night is unfair and just plain unlucky (not that I had much l... More

|peaceful|
|deep-dyed|
|ethereal|
|guilt|
|coin|
|soldier|
|dandelion|
|seasons|
|kanao|
|selection|
|tobu jiyū|

|firefly|

4.5K 171 67
By LovelyDeformity

"Look at all of the fireflies I caught!" Yua exclaimed happily while she held her clear jar up for everyone to see. The five fireflies crawled all around the sides of it to escape, however, the lid prevented them from doing so.

I held my own jar up and smiled, having caught ten.

We all spent the evening- until bedtime- collecting many fireflies. We wanted to keep them, but Okemia said we couldn't.

(None of us knew that in the morning, every single one was dead.)

"...wake up." A familiar voice echoed throughout the darkness again and again.

"Kagome-Oneesan, wake up!"

My dark blue eyes snapped open and a face loomed down from above me. It was Ayuka. She had her long blonde hair tied into her usual braid and was wearing her pink cherry blossom yukata.

I looked around and saw that everyone's beds-except my own of course- were empty and made.

"Huh? Did I sleep in?" I inquired, confused as to where everyone was. I sat up and continued to look around.

"Yup! Mamma told me to wake you up because breakfast is ready." She said with a toothy grin then merrily skipped out of the room.

I shook my head and pushed myself out of bed. My first couple of steps were more like stumbles because I was still disoriented. After blinking a couple of times, my crusty eyes finally adjusted to the light.

"What time is it, the afternoon?" I thought as I directed my gaze to the window where the dreadfully bright light was seeping through the white curtains.

Deciding that I needed to get up because I had already slept in enough, I began to get ready for the day.

My hair was getting really long, so it took a while to comb through it, however, I did it as quickly as I could because I didn't want to eat cold eggs and bacon. After untangling my wiry hair, I got dressed.

I noticed that the sleeves of my yukata were a little bit above my wrists. Realizing this, I squealed then jumped up with my fist in the air.

"That means that I've grown a little bit!"

After calming myself down, I smiled and left the room. While I skipped down the steps, I stopped once I realized that I would need to apologize to Okemia for sleeping in.

I went through what her responses might be and thought of the realistically worst possible thing that could happen. My nerves settled, knowing that she wouldn't punish me or anything of the sort. However, I was still scared of disappointing her.

Downstairs the children were eating and talking. Most were explaining their delightful dreams while others were complaining about how they were still tired and wanted to continue to sleep.

"I'm so sorry for sleeping in late. It won't happen again." I whispered shamefully, bowing my head towards Okemia.

Because I didn't wake up, she had to cook everyone's food by herself.

"It's quite alright Kagome. You needed the sleep, I'm sure." She reassured with a smile. I let out a breath. Okemia was so very kind.

Even though she wasn't disappointed- or at least she didn't seem to be- I still felt guilty and was determined to not let it happen again.

Once I made my resolve, I sat down in the empty seat next to Kazuo and began to eat my stone-cold eggs.

"Well darn."

"And I ate every single strawberry! Then I grew a strawberry tree in my tummy. It was this big!" Yosuke exclaimed while holding his arms out dramatically. This caused me to giggle while the rest of the children gasped.

"Your belly was really that big?"

"Uh-huh! I thought it might pop! But then I woke up." Yosuke said while shoving a huge strip of salty bacon into his mouth.

I took a bite of my own bacon and savored the way the grease made it slide down my throat as the children continued to talk about their wondrous dreams. I would have shared my own, but I didn't really have dreams. Or perhaps, I forgot them as soon as I woke up, I wasn't quite sure.

So, instead of sharing my own, I listened and silently, but also quickly, ate the food that Okemia had prepared all by herself.

After gulping down my warm tea and shoving the rest of my cold salty eggs in my mouth, I got up and began to take everyone's dishes to the sink.  

The sun was bright, like always. It reminded me of a yellow topaz, shining in the sky. How I had known what a topaz was, and what it looked like, was beyond me. I probably read about it in a book or saw it on t.v somewhere.

My hair clung to my back, soaked in sweat, just as my hands were. We had already played multiple games of tag, so I was tired and panting. Compared to the other children, I had a lot of stamina, but I didn't have a neverending supply of it.

I took a few deep and long breaths, then went back to trying to find the children.

Behind the orphanage, there was a thick forest. We played hiding go seek in it. However, so none of us would get lost, the border was a very tall and somber tree. A long time ago it was struck by lightning so its base had a large hole that went through the back.

Okemia was always scared that one of the orphans might decide to be an "adventurer" and wander farther than the tree. Luckily, that had never happened.

Since the forest was large, I had a lot of ground to cover all by myself. The game had just begun, so I hadn't found anyone. However, by quieting my breathing, I could hear everything. The birds squawking loudly, and more importantly, children laughing.

I heard their gleeful giggle and the hostile hushes as well.

If they were more silent, I would definitely have more trouble finding them.

I ran towards the direction of the noise. The many trees that I passed made it seem as though I was running in place, never truly going anywhere. They all looked the same.

The giggling got louder and louder until I stopped in front of a lively lilac bush. I crouched in front of it and poked my head inside.

"Emiko and Hana, I found you!" I exclaimed loudly with a grin. They shrieked causing me to winced and fall backward onto my butt, hard.

"Kagome-Oneesan!" They chastised in unison, "don't scare us like that!" Their cheeks were puffed out and their eyelids were scrunched up into glares.

"Sorry. I'll try not to next time." I replied with a crooked smile while patting my soon to be bruised butt.

They shook their heads' then stomped away while I sweat-dropped.

I had nearly caught everyone. The last one left was Kazuo. He was always the only one left because he had the best hiding spaces. Also, he could climb the trees, which most of the other orphans couldn't.

I could, but I had much difficulty in doing so.

By this time, it was nearly lunchtime so we had to hurry up.

"Where could he be?" I asked myself thoughtfully while running through the broad space between the trees.

"Ah-ha!" I exclaimed a little bit too loudly, seeing something on a tree in the far distance. Truthfully, it was too far. I wanted to let my legs give out beneath me and rest, but I resisted the urge because I was determined to catch everyone.

Once I was closer I saw that it was indeed Kazuo. He was sitting on a thick, twisty branch. His back was facing me. I reached up on my tippy toes and grabbed onto the cold, gnarled tree-bark. My arms wobbled as I hoisted myself up and climbed. Once I was up I sat down next to Kazuo.

He jumped in his spot at my sudden appearance, however, he said nothing. I was silent, for just a moment. Until I couldn't bear it any longer and said,

"I'm sorry about climbing the tree to get you yesterday."

He giggled then turned to me, "I forgave you a long time ago Kagome-Oneesan! The game wouldn't have ended if you didn't climb the tree to get me. Besides, " he giggled again, "you climbed the tree again today to talk to me!"

My eyes went wide and I nearly fell off of the tree branch.

"I'm such a fool."

"I wanna come with!" Hina screamed, clutching onto me tighter. I gently pried her off my waist and handed her to Okemia.

"I'm sorry, Hina. You can't come with me. Besides, I'm only going to the library." I explained, however instead of calming down she began to scream and cry louder.

"How about I bring some Sakuma candy drops home?"

After I said this, Hina immediately stopped crying and smiled brightly. Okemia shook her head disapprovingly and began to wipe Hina's dried tears and snot off of her face with a cloth. Once she was done, she tied Hina's new ribbon back into her hair for it had come undone.

Hina loved Sakuma drops a lot. So much so that any time we went to the market, she would cry nonstop until she got some.

I knew I shouldn't indulge in her like that, but I couldn't help it! It was difficult to see her cry.

Besides, the candy drops really didn't cost a lot and Hina always shared them, -if she didn't then she was forced to- so they were like a little treat for everyone.

Though Hina liked them the most.

"Goodbye, Kagome. Remember to be home before dark. And please, be safe." Okemia said then brushed my messy bangs to the side and gave me a kiss on my forehead.

"I will, don't worry," I reassured with a smile and a wave, then left.

This chapter, I suppose, is dedicated to the fleeting innocence of life.
More precisely, of children.
Because it never lasts long.

Also, kudos to you if you noticed the two references.

I hope you enjoy this little book of mine!
Feel free to point out grammatical errors,
you grammar nazis.

The updates will be random.
However, I'll make sure that
I won't take month-long brakes.

Disclaimer: I do not own Demon Slayer
or the title art.
I only own my characters!
Also, because I'm adding an oc or I guess multiple ocs the plot will be changed accordingly.
I want to make this as
realistic as possible!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

353 25 7
A long line of Samurai has led to a young man, Y/N L/N. Hailing from a small village, he trains day after day to become a great swordsman, like his f...
5.3K 105 19
death. such a fickle thing. especially when someone is backed up in your corner. when a boy died in his sleep, another version of him sends him to an...
234K 5.6K 33
Although she may have reeked of cynicism and anger, one man in the Demon Slayer Corps was able to change that. This is the story about how the Water...
98.3K 2.2K 12
Giyushino Highschool AU This is my first fanfic so im sorry if it sucks.