New Beginning

By GeekOfManyForms

Unlike her twin sister, Elena, Elara Gilbert never quite fit in. Heck, how could she when this was at least t... More

Introduction
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-eight
Chapter Thirty-nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-one
Chapter Forty-two
Chapter Forty-three
Chapter Forty-four
Chapter Forty-five
Chapter forty-six
Chapter forty-seven
Chapter Forty-Eight

Chapter Twenty-Nine

732 26 9
By GeekOfManyForms

*A/N: Hello all, I want to think everyone who has left me reviews, you guys are the best and I simply adore each and every one of you. They really do keep me motivated. This chapter is kinda a filler, its just to get us from point A to point B. I hope you still like it though. Also, the Spanish spoken in this chapter was translated using Google. I sincerely apologize for any mistakes. Let me know how you guys are feeling about everything so far.*

I held Elena's trembling body tight against mine. She was not handling Elijah's presence well, and despite her agreeing that we would work together to deal with the rapidly approaching sacrifice, I wasn't sure how well that would work out. I didn't particularly blame her, hearing about a thousand-year-old all-powerful vampire, and meeting one - were two entirely different things. Elijah slowly strode back and forth in front of Trevor and Rose, his fingertips stroking his chin, and I could feel Elena shivering in frightened anticipation - goosebumps rising on her arms. I tried to rub them away, pulling her closer to the warmth of my body. Elijah stopped in front of Trevor, who was also shaking with terror - a sickly expression on his pale sweaty face.

"I've waited so long for this day, Elijah. I'm truly, very sorry," he said, bowing his head as he groveled.

Rose's olive-green eyes darted between the two men, her toes tapping nervously against the dusty floor. Elijah's hand rose, brushing away Trevor's platitudes with a plastic smile on his face. He leaned closer to the unnerved vampire and sniffed the air, the false smile falling from his lips - his eyes narrowed into slits. Trevor took an idle step back but froze in place the moment Elijah lifted a finger-wagging it as if to reprimand a misbehaving child. Rose's breathing became erratic and she kept her terrified gaze on Trevor.

"Oh no, your apology is not necessary," he said.

Trevor's throat bobbed as he swallowed deeply, shaking his head. "Yes, yes it is. You trusted me with Katerina and I failed you," he said.

A brief flash of old anger flickered across Elijah's face before his stoic mask once again slipped back into place.

"Oh yes, you are the guilty one and Rose aided you because she was loyal to you and that I can honor. Where was your loyalty?" Elijah asked, his eyes glinting.

I lowered my head and felt my heart beating heavily in my chest; fear for the vampire in front of me sped through my veins. I had known him once, and though we had not been friends, I had liked Trevor. I regretted this would be how he met his end, but there were a few things my brother had little patience for - lack of honor and loyalty were amongst them. Elena hugged me close and I leaned down, kissing the crown of her head.

"Don't watch, Lena," I whispered.

Rose turned, meeting my gaze; her expression was haunted, and I cast sympathetic eyes on her. Elena pressed as much of her face as she could into my chest, and I wrapped her in my arms.

"I beg your forgiveness," Trevor said, his tone pleading.

Elijah raised a brow and stepped closer to Trevor, glancing down at the man's stained shirt. "Did you plan to make a meal of the doppelganger or her...sister?" he asked, his aristocratic voice smooth as silk.

Trevor shook his head as quickly as he could, his eyes were comically large. "Of course not, Elijah," he said.

Elijah's nostrils flared as he continued to stare down at the blood on Trevor's shirt, his dark brown eyes troubled. "Then do tell; why do you have Elandra's blood on your shirt? Did you think it wise to injure someone belonging to my family?" he asked.

Rose hesitantly stepped as close as she dared to my furious brother, and shook her head. "We didn't know who she was Elijah, we just thought she was associated with the doppelganger in some way and didn't want a witness," she said.

Elijah glared at Rose and she backed away, lowering her head. I was simply amazed by the way they were reacting to Elijah. It was obvious that they saw him as an Alpha, and because of that, they bowed to his every whim. If we had been in the room with Niklaus and a pack of werewolves, I could have better understood it, but this was just Elijah and a few lesser vampires. Although, fear is a powerful tool and the Originals have always known just how to wield it.

"Please, I beg you - forgive me," Trevor said, his hands raised and eyes lowered.

Elijah straightened, pulling his gaze from the blood on Trevor's collar, and adjusted his jacket. "So granted," he said.

Trevor took a deep breath, his shoulders sagging. He had the chance for one final relieved smile before Elijah took his head off with an abrupt swipe of his hand. I watched in fascinated horror as Trevor's severed head dropped to the floor, rolling around in a pool of thick bright red. Rose's mournful scream of shock bounced off the walls, echoing around the room, and I winced - my eardrums throbbing. She raised quivering hands in front of her mouth as she leaned forward, her body giving way to grief. She wrapped her arms around her middle as if she were attempting to hold herself together. I felt Elena jerk in my arms, and I held her tighter, shushing her as she started to cry. I was grateful that she had missed what Elijah had done, as shocking and insanely impressive as it had been. Elijah stepped over Trevors still rotating head and removed a white handkerchief from his jacket pocket. He cleaned his hands and the small flecks of blood that dotted the sleeves of his suit.

"You!" Rose cried, anger building on her beautiful face.

Elijah lifted his hand, the slightly bloodied handkerchief clasped firmly in its grasp, and narrowed his eyes. "Don't, Rose, now that you are free," he warned.

Rose sucked in a deep calming breath, her chest shaking with rage, and slowly nodded. I could see the pure hatred burning in her eyes, and despite the love, I had for my brother, I couldn't say he hadn't earned it. Elijah stuffed the handkerchief in his pocket and held out his hand to me, his previously cold eyes softening just a hint.

"Come, sister," he said.

With a nod, I gently pried Elena from my chest and connected with her wet orbs. "Elena, it is time to go. We will be safe with Elijah. You said you trusted me, and I promised we would work together. Is that still the plan?" I asked, leaving room for her to make her own decision.

Elena shakily held onto my arms, and glanced between me and my brother. I could see something settle in her. "You can't leave me, Elara. You promised you would stay with us," she said.

I nodded and placed a hand on her damp cheek. "I know, you also said you wouldn't make me choose - so don't. Let's stay together; we can do all of this as sisters. We can be a team, can't we? We used to be close before things changed," I said.

Elena reached up and removed my hand, entwining her fingers with mine. "I won't let them take you, so we do this together. I lost our parents, I won't lose anyone else," she said, turning to Elijah. "I know you need me for the ritual, but before I agree, I have conditions," she said, her tiny voice firm.

Elijah's eyes widened and he glanced at me. I placed my unoccupied hand on my forehead and bit my bottom lip.

"Elijah my sister, the current doppelganger, is a stubborn one." I turned to Elena and motioned toward the staircase. "Let us discuss your conditions in a more hospitable environment, hmm? I said.

Elijah extended his hand again, and I accepted. Elena's grip never loosened as we were lead past Rose - who sported a guilty expression as her eyes shined on Elena. She probably thought I would betray her, and in the end, she would be nothing but another decaying doppelganger. I tapped on my brother's elbow as we approached the top of the stairs - remembering Bonnies' message. I didn't want the Salvatores to get themselves killed trying to save us when we no longer needed it. Elijah shot me a curious look and I smiled, brushing a strand of hair behind my ear.

"I thought I would forewarn you, brother dear. We are due to be rescued shortly. We were sent a message about an hour ago. We have some friends who will inevitably try to play white knights. I have known our rescuers for centuries and care for them a great deal," I said.

Elijah closed his eyes, as if my request was costing him a great deal, and released a sigh. "As long as you and the doppelganger remain safe - I will spare them. You will be explaining your existence to me, Elandra. I do not like being in the dark. I also find myself curious about how you have managed to keep yourself alive and hidden for centuries," he said, a flash of betrayal in his eyes.

I felt a stab of pain in my chest and squeezed his arm reassuringly. Elena gripped onto my shoulder, pulling me against her chest, and I patted her hand.

"I haven't really been living for centuries 'Lijah, if I had, I would have contacted you - that I can promise. It's a dark and complicated matter, best to be discussed in complete privacy," I said, my words haunted by the truth of my past.

It was going to be difficult revealing my curse to him. It was always a tough topic, but discussing it with the Mikaelsons was so much harder. Rebekah and Kol were proof of that. Neither of them had taken it well. I could feel my sister's warm breath on my shoulder and was suddenly glad she was there. She was someone who knew me as I was now; just Elara. My past self and the history surrounding her didn't matter to Elena. It was nice.

Elijah nodded, kissing my knuckles. "I trust you, Lannie. It can wait until we are alone," he whispered.

My brother pulled us toward the front of the house and Elena tugged at the lace of my dress, her fingernail damaging the delicate fabric. I quickly reminded myself that the dress was already ruined, and glanced back at her - forcing the annoyance from my face.

"Was it smart to tell him about Stefan and Damon?" she whispered as if that would stop Elijah from hearing her.

I rolled my eyes and squeezed her hand. "He keeps his word, Elena; he won't hurt them. We just have to be firm with the boys and make sure they understand that for now, we are going with Elijah. It's not a permanent thing; he will take us home. But we have plans to make and a ritual to discuss," I said.

A soft and tired expression overcame her face and she wrapped her arm around mine. "Okay, as long as we stay together," she said.

We stopped at the front door and a loud crash - the sound of shattering glass - came from the floor above us. Elijah froze, his hand on the doorknob, and I released him.

"It's the Salvatores, they are vampires, but quite young. They only want to help us," I explained.

I took Elena's shoulder and pressed her against the door next to my brother. "Stay!" I said, my tone brokering no argument.

Elijah stepped into the center of the room, his hands in his pockets - and glanced up the stairs. "Excuse me. To whom it may concern, you're making a great mistake if you think you can beat me. You can't. Do you hear me?" he said.

He walked back to where I had left Elena and picked up the coat rack standing beside her - snapping it in half against his knee. He tossed one end of it to the floor and headed back into the middle of the entryway. He held the makeshift stake next to him, his cold and deadly stare focused on the upper level of the house. "I repeat, you cannot beat me. So leave now and I will let you live another day. The girl and my sister belong to me, and my family. Do we understand each other?" he said, brandishing the sharp end of the broken rack.

I stepped up beside my irate Original brother, and placed a hand on the coat rack turned stake. He slowly lowered it, but kept his eyes on the stairs in front of us. I turned toward the stairs and released a tired breath.

"Damon...Stefan, we no longer require rescue, and I would greatly appreciate it if you did not challenge my brother because as he said, there is no chance you can win. I would rather you live, and can only guarantee that if you back down," I firmly said.

I could hear Elena's heavy breathing behind me and took to counting her labored breaths until Stefan appeared at the top of the stairs - his spiky light brown hair ruffled. I smiled up at him and Elijah's eyes narrowed. I moved forward and he took my wrist, pulling me back into place at his side. Stefan watched my brother's possessive behavior with an angry protective expression. I held up my free hand, placating my Ripper friend.

"Stefan, this is Elijah - my brother. He is an Original and the reason we were kidnapped. Although, he had no idea why he was brought here until he saw Elena and me," I said.

Stefan descended the stairs one deliberate step at a time, his eyes darting to a nervous Elena - who avoided his gaze like a pro. I was almost positive she would be forcing this discussion onto me. Elijah kept hold of my wrist as I stepped in front of him, my arm slightly behind me.

"There is no need for rescue or fight; Elena and I are safe with Elijah and plan to leave with him," I said, my tone losing its steady firmness the closer Stefan ventured to my brother.

He froze on the last step, his narrowed eyes widening as he started to grasp what was happening. "What?" he asked, anger coursing through that one simple word.

Elijah's grip on my wrist tightened and he pulled me closer to his chest. I rolled my eyes and blew a strand of hair from my forehead. This was already annoying me. I understood that he feared this unknown vampire. He knew so little of what I truly was. When he had known me last I was a powerful witch, but he knew nothing of me now. All he knew was that I had the steady beating of a human heart, and with that, would come the normal dangers and limitations of being such. Even though I understood all this, I still hated it. Being treated like glass was no fun. I wiggled my numbing wrist and used my free hand to pry it from my brother's grasp. I was grateful when he allowed me my freedom. Shaking the numbness from my hand, I stayed firmly in front of my brother, eyes on Stefan.

"Listen, there is a lot that Elena and I must discuss with Elijah. We will explain what's going on to you and Damon when we get home, but for now, we must leave," I said.

Stefan shook his head, fiddling with something in his pocket. "No, no Elandra. You can't just take off and leave with some vampire who kidnapped you."

Elijah placed a hand on my shoulder and moved me to the side, his posture rigid. "You have one chance to get out of here alive - and that's to listen to my sister. Do not test my patience," he said.

I pressed myself between the two angry immortals and pushed Stefan away from Elijah. My nerves were shot, and I could feel that familiar ache pulsing in my hands. I could tell, just by the way that Stefan's jaw ticked, his eyes crinkling as they darted around the room - that he was planning something. Add that with the fact that Damon had yet to show himself, and it only foretold dangerous stupidity.

"This is not a fight you or your brother can survive." I leaned in as close as I dared, and placed my hands on his broad shoulders. "Not even when you were at your worst could you have won this fight, Stef. Please don't try," I said.

As per the norm, when his Ripper past was mentioned, Stefans face momentarily twisted in pain and regret. He looked away, his adam's apple bobbing as he took a deep breath. The hand that was still placed in his pocket shook, drawing my gaze, and I zeroed in on his fidgeting wrist. Whatever was in his pocket was going to end up getting him killed. I pulled away, my aching hands hovering in front of me, narrowed eyes observing his nervous twitching.

"Stefan, please, don't do this," I begged.

He shook his head and glanced at Elena, who was pressing herself against the front door - her doe eyes staring at him in disbelief and fear.

"You can't take her away from me, and you can't disappear again," he said.

He took one last look at Elijah, his beautiful pale face screwing up in hate, before speeding away. I stomped my foot in anger and threw out my hand, turning to my sister - lips pursed. A wall of blue energy wrapped around her in a brief flash of light and then disappeared, leaving her squinting in shock. Elijah watched my magical display with interest, his finger tapping against his bottom lip.

"You're still a witch? I should have known," he said.

I lowered my hand and shrugged, stepping beside him and flexing my glimmering fingers. "Don't worry, I'm used to being underestimated," I said, smirking.

At the sound of the stairs creaking, I moved forward, taking the steps two at a time. "Damon, this is seriously the stupidest thing you've ever done, and that's saying something. Would you please be smart and listen to me for once," I said, hoping to get through to at least one of them.

I made it to the middle of the stairs before I felt a rush of air and heard someone moving behind me. Spinning around, I saw Stefan standing in front of Elijah, a vervain bomb grasped tightly in his hand. My eyes widened in horror and I leaned toward them, my palm glowing.

"No, Stefan stop!" I screamed.

Stefan stiffened but ignored me, his body shaking with adrenaline. He tossed the grenade into Elijah's face. My brother reared back, his skin bubbling. With a scream of pain, he lifted his hands, his covering his blistering face. Stefan stared at Elijah in shock for a moment, surprised by how quickly he was already healing, and then snapped out of it, speeding away. Elijah's body bowed, a furious growl erupting from somewhere deep within. His chest shook as he took deep ragged breaths, and he lowered his hands, glancing up at me - pure unrestrained anger in his eyes. I took in his face, the once blistered skin healing to perfection right in front of my eyes, and knew the Salvatores would meet their end tonight if I didn't stand in my brother's way. Stefan sped to stand in front of Elena, his hand extended - and flicked his fingers in a welcoming fashion. His eyes darted back to Elijah, unnerved by how little the vervain had affected him, but kept urging Elena forward.

"Elena you have to step out of the shield!" he said.

Elena glanced at him in sadness, pressing herself further against the wall - her back ramrod straight. "I'm so sorry, Stefan, but I can't. I'm staying with Elara. We have to protect our family," she said, teary-eyed.

Stefan's face fell and he slammed his fisted hands against the shield, brights bursts of blue light flashing with every hit. "Dammit Elena!" he yelled.

Elijah turned and started stalking toward Stefan, his brown eyes promising pain. Elena fearfully placed her hand flat on the flickering wall of magic, the only thing standing between her and the man she loved. Her head snapped toward me, her face flushed.

"Elara, you have to save him. He loves us. He was only trying to help," she said.

I started down the steps, my hands held out beside me to keep my balance and felt a tug at my wrist.

"And where do you think you're going?"

I turned toward the annoyingly familiar voice and met oceanic blue pools of confusion. Damon pulled me into his chest, eyes darting to his brother.

"Stefan can handle himself. Elena will step outta your little bubble before anything happens, and he can flash them both away," he said.

I twisted in Damon's arms, glancing down the stairs at my own brother, who was still advancing on Stefan - like a panther stalking its prey.

"Eli-" It was all I could get out before I was sped away.

I sucked in a grateful breath of air as the world stopped spinning, and I found my back pressed against a wall - a finger smashing my lips closed. My eyes were wide as I stared up at Damon. His dark hair was a tangled mess and looked like it needed a good wash. His blue eyes roamed my face as if this would be the last time he saw me, and I felt an unwelcome fluttering in my stomach. He leaned his forehead against mine and released a sigh.

"What are you doing, baby? Are you trying to get yourself killed? What's going on?" he asked, his tone hurt.

I pulled my arms free from where he had trapped them underneath his firm chest and placed my hands on the back of his head - detangling his raven locks.

"This is the way it has to be right now, Day. No one is going to get killed as long as you stop attacking Elijah," I exasperatedly said.

Damon reluctantly pulled away and took hold of my shoulders, his expression firm. "You aren't leaving with some vampire we don't know. It's our job to keep you and Elena safe," he said.

I could hear a deep growl of anger funnel up the stairs, and grimaced.

"You will return my sister or heads will roll. I'll start with your brothers. I want her at my side, where she belongs, by the count of three," Elijah said, his tone acidic.

I tried to pull away from Damon and return to my brother, but he only tightened his hold on my shoulders.

"Damon, he is serious. He will kill Stefan. I am not worth your brother's life," I said.

Damon looked down at me, discomfort and indecision clear on his face. The purple bags under his eyes stood out painfully against his pale skin, and I felt a stab of guilt. He and Stefan were just trying to help us, and I loved them for it, but I wouldn't allow them to get themselves killed.

"You don't know what you are worth to me, El," he whispered.

With a whimper, I leaned in and kissed his cheek, his stumble making my nose twitch. He squeezed his eyes closed and released another long sigh. He nervously dug at the lace of my dress, and I ran my fingertips along his jawline as I kissed the edge of his lips, my eyes fluttering closed. Pulling back, I took one last look at his tired face, and before I could change my mind, I quickly kneed him in the groin. He released a moan of pain and crumbled to the floor.

"Works every time; immortal or not. I am so sorry Day, but I could never be worth your brother's life. You would never forgive me," I said.

I ran as fast as my clumsy form could safely take me, and stopped at the top of the staircase. I found Elijah waiting where I had left him. He had Stefan on his knees, his hand wrapped tightly around his neck. I slowly started down the steps and took a deep steadying breath.

"I'm okay. Please release him, Elijah. Let's call all of this nonsense a simple case of temporary insanity. I told you they would try and play white knights. You said you would spare them as long as they did not endanger either myself or Elena, and we are fine," I said, motioning at my uninjured body and then my shielded sister.

Elijah's expression never changed, the cold hard mask of anger stayed firm as he squeezed Stefan's neck. The youngest Salvatore winced in pain, his face scrunched up in obvious discomfort. I stepped off the final step and moved next to my brother.

"Please. They have saved mine, and Elena's life multiple times. I wouldn't be here now if not for them," I said.

Elijah's eyes lifted to mine and I could see how angry he really was. Forgiveness was not something he easily granted; he was much like Niklaus in that respect. I placed a steady hand on his arm and pleaded for Stefan's life as best I could with only my eyes. Words couldn't save him now. I tried to convey all I felt as I stared into my brother's cool brown orbs. Elijah tore his gaze from mine, and I stepped away. He glanced down at Stefan, his fingers flexing around his neck as he gave one final squeeze, before pushing him away with disgust. Stefan fell to the floor, his knees buckling. He caught himself by the palms of his hands, and slowly rose to his feet.

"You and your brother will leave here. Alone," Elijah said.

Damon sped next to his brother and Elijah grabbed my arm - pulling me away from the Salvatores. He led me to Elena and I snapped my fingers, releasing her. She fell into my arms and Elijah opened the front door, pointing to the exit with cold eyes.

"Leave now. They are of no concern to you," he said.

Damon's blue eyes flashed as he glowered, stepping closer to me. I held up a hand and shook my head.

"We will be home soon. Until then, please listen," I said.

Elena looked at Stefan and ran her fingers through her dark hair. "This is our choice," she said.

Damon shook his head, betrayal painted on his face, and bolted from the house - Stefan following behind him with a blank expression.

Elijah watched them leave, and took my hand, leading me outside and toward his black SUV. Elena stumbled behind us, her hair fluttering in the cool night breeze. I felt a tension headache pulsing behind my eyes, and tried to remind myself that the night was far from over.

"It's time we go. I hope one of you knows a good realtor in Mystic Falls," Elijah said, completely nonchalant.

Elena blinked rapidly in unease and confusion, hopping into the back seat. Elijah opened the passenger door for me and held out his hand. I smiled up at him and accepted his assistance, sighing with amusement. He closed my door and sped to the driver's side, elegantly slipping inside and unbuttoning his jacket.

"Um, I think our Aunt Jenna has a few contacts..." Elena mumbled, good manners winning over confusion.

Elijah nodded and glanced over at me, motioning at my seat belt with an audible 'tisk' of disappointment. I almost rolled my eyes before I remembered who I would be sassing, and decided on simply over exaggerating my movements and releasing a long-suffering sigh. Elijah shook his head, grinning as he noticed Elena quickly slipping on her belt in the rearview mirror.

"It seems your sister will be much easier to handle," he said.

I could hear Elena scoff lightly under her breath and bit my lip against the smile that was fighting its way onto my lips.

"Elijah, we both know how stubborn I can be," I said.

Elijah smiled, pulling onto the gravel road. "True, although I was hoping you would have grown out of it," he said.

I laughed merrily, fiddling with my seat belt. "As if. I am as stubborn as ever, brother," I said.

Elijah's smile faded a bit, his eyes clouding over in memory. "It was something the two of you always had in common. You wouldn't recognize him now, Elandra. What he has become; what we've all become," he mumbled.

I could barely make out his hastily spoken, near-silent, words. I had always known Elijah felt this way about being a vampire. Rebekah had filled me in on what she could through the centuries. Elijah had never been the type of person who would have wanted an immortal life. He would have been satisfied with a wife and family. Aside from Finn, he had taken their transformation the worst. He may appear to be the perfect vampire, beautiful and elegant, but it's all an act. A part he feels he must play, as the glue that keeps the Mikaelson family together. He buries everything down, hides it away, and someday - it's gonna bite him in the ass. I placed a hand on my brother's arm, giving him a moment to compose himself.

"I love you all; nothing you do could ever change that. I make no excuses for your past. I know you all have done terrible things, but you are vampires Elijah, and that makes you the best predators in the world, and predators kill. I will love you no less for being what you are. If that makes me a monster, same as you, then so be it," I whispered.

Elijah's grip on the steering wheel faltered for a moment before he reached out with one hand and took mine. "He doesn't deserve you, Lannie," he said.

I laid my head back, glancing up at him, the man who, as of right now, had plans to kill the one I love; his own brother.

"Let's agree to disagree, yeah? Since I happen to know something you don't," I said.

Elijah looked at me, his brow raised, and brushed the hair from my face. "What do you know, Elandra?" he asked.

I turned my head and watched the road ahead. "I think a nice two-bedroom apartment would suit you fine, for now at least," I said, as he led us down the highway.

The ride to Mystic Falls was mostly silent. What needed to be said, wasn't something we could discuss during a dark uncomfortable car ride.

"So, where are we going?" Elena asked, interrupting the silence as we passed by the 'Welcome to Mystic Falls' sign.

I nervously nibbled on my lower lip as Wickery Bridge came into view, reaching out, I placed my hand on Elijah's arm.

"Lijah I hate to ask, but you wouldn't happen to have a penny on you?" I asked, glancing up at my brother.

Elena sat back in her seat, shaking her head and scrunching up her nose in discomfort. Elijah's brow furrowed in confusion, but instead of questioning me, he lifted his hips - reaching into his pocket and pulling out a handful of coins. I held out my palm with a smile, and he dumped the change into my hand, his brown eyes flickering across my face.

"Thanks, could you stop on the side of the bridge, please?" I asked.

Elijah drove onto the wooden bridge, the creaking a familiar and eerie sound. He pulled off to the side, and the car slowed to a stop. I hopped out, slamming the door shut behind me. Elena rolled her window down, leaning her head out - doe eyes wary.

"Stay away from the edge," she simply said.

I nodded, my expression understanding as I glanced around before crossing to the other side. It had been a while since I had taken the time to visit my parents. Elena went to the cemetery weekly, but I hated visiting such a place. I felt more at ease here, where they had taken their last breath than I did where their empty bodies rested. Maybe it was because I myself, had died so many times before, and my own body lies in cemeteries all around the world. Death meant something different to mean than it did others. I jiggled the coins in my hand, listening to the almost musical clinking as I watched the water rush below, its rapid movement almost took my breath away.

It brought back a memory; the dream Elena had been sent. I never figured out who had invaded her mind, only that the dream had been entirely too close to how reality might play out; it was unsettling. The water continued to rush by and I couldn't help but wonder if it would take me as it had my parents. How fitting that would be. I opened my palm and picked out an old dull penny. I pinched it between my thumb and index finger, tossing it into the depths below.

"I'll see you soon," I whispered, turning on my heel.

I headed back toward the SUV, placing the rest of the change into my pocket to return to my brother later, and slipped inside - ignoring the quite sniffling behind me. As the car started, and Elijah took us away from Wickery Bridge, I turned toward him.

"Elena had a good question. Where are we going? You don't exactly have a place to stay right now," I said.

Elijah gently tapped at the steering wheel, a calming rhythm between his index and middle finger. "Hmm, I figured you would know a nice place for me to stay; temporarily of course. Are there any, shall we say, elderly women whom I could compel a spare room out of?" he asked, a small rush of air leaving his lips.

He glanced at me, no doubt expecting the same appalled shock that had escaped Elena in an undignified squeak behind us. "Elderly women? Hmm, and why must the women be elderly?" I asked brow raised, a small smirk on my lips.

Elijah chuckled, motioning at his appearance, his hand twisting around in an elegant circle. "It's easier that way. There are fewer problems if they are older and already out of their...prime. Besides, I find older women much more hospitable," he said.

I couldn't help the amused guffaw that tore its way from my throat. I held my stomach, my face heating up, cheeks burning. Elijah was less than amused as he watched my antics.

"Are you quite finished, Elandra? he said.

I wiped the tears from my eyes and adjusted my seat belt. "Okay, okay, I'm sorry. You are right of course. It probably gets very tiresome being so attractive," I giggled, raising my hand when he glared at me. "I actually have the perfect place for you, my dear slightly arrogant one. Take a right on Pine and follow it down until you see a small brick house on the left - the one with the rose bushes," I said.

Elijah's eyes narrowed, his pink lips parting as he bared his teeth in annoyance, but he flipped on his turn signal and followed my directions. Elena released a scoff, her mouth dropping open in appalled horror. Her hand fell on my seat as she pulled herself forward.

"What! Why Mrs. G? She is a wonderful woman. I thought you liked her?" she said, her expression fearful.

I patted her hand and watched as Elijah pulled into the small driveway. The old, but beautifully maintained brick house, was lit up and warm with life. Gwendolyn Rose was obviously inside, probably about to sit down for her nightly cup of tea. Elena was right, I liked Mrs. G, which was why I knew I could trust her to take care of my brother. Mrs. G had been my piano teacher until I was 10. I enjoyed my lessons with her and had taken to music like a fish to water. Yet, on my tenth birthday, I had regained some of my past - discovering I already knew how to play the piano. Which was probably why I had been such a natural, to begin with. In my past, it had been demanded of me by a strict and unforgiving mother. Once I regained those memories, it was no longer fun for me, and every stroke of those black and white keys only reminded me of the mother I had so hated. We all slipped out of the car and headed up the stone path. The smell of roses and the squeaking of metal permeated the air, bringing fond memories to mind. We had always taken lunch on her porch swing. I enjoyed those warm summer days surrounded by fully bloomed roses and the sound of hummingbirds flittering around her garden.

I stepped onto the porch, turning around to face Elena and my brother.

"Okay, this is the home of Gwendolyn Rose, or as most call her: Mrs. G. She is a 78-year-old piano teacher; I figured you'd get along," I said, staring Elijah down.

The Original vampire glanced at the glowing window behind me, and nodded, his brow raised. "Did you take lessons with her, Elandra?" he asked, a hint of excitement in his eyes.

I smiled up at him, crossing my arms with a shrug. "Yep, but only until I was 10. I'm no master, like a certain Original. Or so I've been told," I slyly said, turning around and knocking on the door.

There was a quiet shuffling on the other end, and then I could hear the lock clicking. The door was pulled open and the dark and weary eyes of my piano teacher appeared. She took me in with a bright, yet curious, smile on her wrinkled face. Her salt and pepper hair was tied into a tight bun atop her head, and I could smell cinnamon on her breath. She leaned against the door, crossing her arms.

"Hola Elara, mi Querido. It's been a very long time," she said, her accent warm and thick.

I stepped closer to her, releasing a relieved breath when she wrapped me in her embrace.

"te he extrañado," I whispered, my tongue easily wrapping around the language I hadn't used in ages.

Mrs. G released me and I saw her glance over my shoulder. I stepped back outside and gestured toward Elena first. "You remember my twin sister, Elena." Elena stepped forward and Mrs. G gave her a gentle, but quick hug, patting her back with an easy smile. They had never talked much, as Elena had been into Cheer and sports. I pointed at Elijah and decided to just push through. "And this is...our brother, Elijah," I said, wincing.

Elijah's body twitched ever so slightly, his jaw tightening as he fought back a wide range of emotions - disgust most likely one of them. I was sure he hated the idea of being paired with a Petrova, even in a familial way. I just smiled at Mrs. G, ignoring the stiff Original beside me.

"Your brother? I thought Jeremy was your only brother?" she politely asked. I cleared my throat awkwardly, twisting my fingers.

"Well, we just found out we're adopted, and Elijah is our long lost brother. What a ride, huh," I said, internally smacking myself on the forehead.

Sometimes I really sucked at life.

Mrs. G chuckled, her eyes filled with sympathy. She glanced at Elijah and her eyes narrowed.

"And your Aunt Jenna is having a difícil time with all of this, no?" she said, folding her hands in front of her.

I blinked, my mind coming to a complete and harsh stop. "Si, si, actually she is," I said, my lashes batting each other to death as I tried to come to where she had obviously made a stop.

She was being far too easy.

"Does your brother need a room, niña?" she asked.

I chuckled, Elena gasping behind me, and nodded.

"You are a rare gem, Mrs. Rose," I said.

Mrs. G stepped aside, looking at all three of us. "You are all welcome to come inside. I was just finishing up my nightly cup of tea," she said.

Elijah's brow rose, and he took a hesitant step, a relieved smile turning up his lips as he easily crossed the barrier. We all stepped into her cozy living room, Elena and Elijah glancing around in admiration. The rustic decor made the room feel warm and inviting, the dark wood and earthy colors had always made me feel at peace. Mrs. G led us into the clean, white and stainless steel kitchen, and we all sat down at her family-style dining table. She grabbed extra teacups from the cabinet to the left of her stove and brought them to the table.

"The teapot is full of cinnamon tea and the table is already laid out with what you'll need. Elara knows the lay of the land if you have any questions; this old woman needs her rest. Make yourself at home, Elijah," she said.

She brushed the hair from my forehead as she passed, heading toward the back of the house - where I knew her bedroom to be. I took off my jacket and placed it on the back of the chair. Leaning forward, I busied myself making Elijah a cup of tea. I needed something to do after such a bizarre turn of events. I thought we would need to compel an invite out of her, but she had been surprisingly hospitable.

"Does anyone else think that was too easy?" Elena whispered, her hand hovering near her mouth.

I dumped two cubes of sugar into Elijah's tea and pushed it over to him, sitting down with a sigh.

"We were due a bit of good luck, Lena," I said, rubbing my temples.

Elena scoffed, crossing her arms. Elijah smiled down at his cup, glancing over at me with soft eyes.

"We will keep an eye on Mrs. Rose; I have to agree with Miss Gilbert, it felt far too easy," he said.

Elena's hand jerked toward Elijah and she smirked, eyes darting toward the hallway like she half expected a stake wielding Mrs. G to burst into the room. I huffed, my shoulders sagging as I nodded in acceptance. Elijah took a sip of his tea and looked at Elena.

"Before we discuss your terms, I assume you have questions?" he said.

Elena lifted the pink flower teapot, cringing down at the bright colorful design as she poured herself a cup.

"Yes, I do. I need to hear your family's story." She looked over at me, a wrinkle between her brow as she stirred her tea. "The truth, Elara. I want to understand," she said.

Elijah crossed his legs, glancing at me as he adjusted his suit jacket - his expression thoughtful. "What have you already told her, Elandra?"

I scratched at the old wooden table, mentally unprepared to rehash the past all over again. I had expected Elena would want to go over it all, and I knew I would be apart of it; it was unavoidable, but the night had been long and I was exhausted. I leaned my head back, my neck aching as I stared up at the ceiling.

"I explained the basics to the people I thought needed to know. I figured the time would come when they could hear the rest from one of you," I said, sighing.

Elijah nodded, narrowing his eyes as he turned to Elena. "Where would you like for me to start?" he asked.

Elena watched me closely, her dark brown eyes searching my face; I wasn't sure what she was looking for, and I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.

"Start with how your family came to know my sister," she said, turning back to Elijah.

Why she thought it necessary to start so far back, I didn't know, but if she needed to hear my story from another party, then so be it. Elijah smiled, his eyes crinkling, and took a sip of his tea - scrunching up his face in distaste as he looked down at the tiny porcelain cup. I giggled at his obvious dislike and stood to my feet, taking the teapot and heading to the sink. He turned his head, following my path, his eyes never leaving my form as he curiously watched me turn on the sink. After a moment he cleared his throat, turning his attention to Elena.

"After the death of Elandra's mother Arabeth, our mother took her in. It was well known in the village that the Rioult family was gifted with a special form of magic, and after Elandra's father died, many of the villagers had taken to shunning their family. Our mother knew Elandra would have no one, and no place to go." Elena glanced at me sympathetically and I sent her a weak half-smile as I refilled the teapot with fresh water. "It didn't take Elandra long to find her place in our family, she became one of us, and as the years passed she and Niklaus grew closer. It was plain to see that they had fallen in love, but Elandra had no place in the village, and because of that, mother and father denied them the right to marry," Elijah said, grimacing.

I bit my lip, eyes burning, and tried to ignore the jolt of unwanted memories. I grabbed a small jar of fresh tea and placed a spoonful of ground leaves in the diffuser. Snapping it shut, I hung the diffuser in the teapot.

"Niklaus is your brother? The one that needs me for the ritual? He is the one Elara was engaged to?" Elena asked, pointing to Elijah and then to me, her eyes wide.

I took a breath, watching my sisters shocked pale face from the corner of my eye. I placed both of my glowing hands on the teapot, bringing it to a quick boil. Once the tea reached a dark brown, I brought it to the table, sitting it down in front of my brother. Elijah nodded, answering Elena's question, and smiled up at me. He refilled his teacup and gestured for the sugar. I pushed it toward him and he dropped in a few cubes of sugar. I sat back down, and both Elijah and I quietly watched Elena take in the new information.

"Okay, give me a minute to process," she mumbled, leaning back in her seat.

Elijah chuckled, stirring his tea. "I'm behind on the times, but I believe the term you're searching for is 'O.M.G'."

I tossed my head back, giggling, my cheeks burning. Elijah smiled at my laughter, his eyes sparkling.

"Wow, now that is something I never thought I would hear you say. I can cross 'teach Elijah slang' off my bucket list," I said.

Elena placed her elbows on the table and leaned toward me, her nose twitching. "You don't need a damn bucket list El! You're not going anywhere," she hissed.

My eyes darted to my still oblivious brother and I huffed, glaring at Elena.

"Let's talk about this later," I said between clenched teeth.

Elijah's eyes followed my stiff form uneasily, and I avoided his probing gaze. Elena huffed, crossing her arms.

"Fine, but we will talk later."

Her eyes raked me over and I nodded.

"So, there is a whole family of Originals?" Elena asked.

Elijah looked down at his dark tea and his jaw tightened. "My father was a wealthy landowner in a village in Eastern Europe. Our mother bore seven children," he said.

Elena's eyes widened and she looked at me in surprise before turning back to my brother.

"So your parents were human?" she asked.

I laughed, rolling my eyes; I placed an elbow on the table and laid my head down on the palm of my hand. "Of course they were, Elena," I said.

Elena stuck her tongue out at me, as she scooted closer to Elijah; her attention captured.

"Our whole family was. Our origin as vampires is a very long story, Elena. Just know...we're the oldest vampires in the world. We are the Original family, and from us, all vampires were created," Elijah said, a flash of regret passing over his face.

I looked at my sister, my face scrunching up in confusion. "I thought Stefan told you about this already? I told the boys about the spell Esther and I cast. I just left out the part where I explained what my family had become. I wasn't ready at the time to reveal that I was partially responsible for their existence as vampires," I said, leaning closer to my sister.

Elena's mouth slowly fell open, her lashes batting rapidly. She placed her hands flat atop the table and pushed away from me. "He told me about your curse, and that you had been reliving your life for centuries, but he didn't say much else," she said.

I scoffed, avoiding her disgusted gaze.

"You helped create vampires?" she asked, her voice full of disbelief.

I looked away and was grateful when Elijah's sharp tone cut through the air - silencing my judgemental sister.

"Elandra did not know what my mother's spell entailed and had no choice but to help her. You should hold back your judgment; you know absolutely nothing of our past, Miss. Gilbert," he said.

Elena sat back, her head falling forward, and placed her hands in her lap - picking at her fingernails.

"Your right, I'm sorry, El," she said, never once looking in my direction.

I could hear Elijah's huff of irritation, and my lips turned up, amusement warming me.

"Let's move on, shall we?' I said.

Elena looked up, brushing her hair behind her ear, and she took a breath.

"Elara said there is no way to fight against Niklaus, that he is one of the most powerful beings alive, why is that?" she whispered.

I smiled down at my hands, running my tongue across my teeth. "First, I think you should start calling him Klaus, it'll irritate him to no end if you go around using his full name," I said.

Elena's head shot up, her eyes flashing with indignation, and she glared at me - crossing her arms over her chest. "You call him Niklaus, and so does Elijah on occasion," she said.

I laughed at her pouty expression and glanced at Elijah who was also watching her with surprised amusement.

"Lena sweety, we have known him for a very long time. Elijah is his brother, he can get away with it. Besides, I call him Nik ninety percent of the time," I said.

Elena rolled her eyes, tossing her hair over one shoulder. "I just think I should be allowed to call him whatever I damn well, please. His plan is to bleed me like a stuck pig. In fact, I think I'll call him Nikie," she sneered.

I coughed, choking on my own spit, and shook my head vehemently. Elijah chuckled, picking invisible lint from his pants.

"No, no, that's definitely not a good idea. I mean, if you want to truly die, then yeah, go ahead," I said, laughing.

Elena scoffed, her nose twitching, and she glanced at Elijah. "Why is everyone so afraid of him?" she asked.

"Klaus is different from my siblings and I. My family was always quite close, but Klaus and my father did not get on too well. When we became vampires, we discovered the truth. Klaus was not my father's son. My mother had been unfaithful many years before. This was her darkest secret. Klaus is from a different bloodline. Of course, when my father discovered this, he hunted down and killed my mother's lover and his entire family. Not realizing, of course, that he was igniting a war between species that rages until this day," Elijah said.

Elena took in a sharp breath, her chest shaking, and her head jerked toward me - her large eyes full of questions.

"War between species? I knew the way you spoke of them was a little too... loving, Elara. You found out he was part werewolf, didn't you?" she said, turning back to Elijah.

My brother's lips curled, his brown eyes sparking with interest.

"Yes. Klaus' real father was from a werewolf bloodline," he said.

Elena's brow furrowed and she sat back, her chin lowering as she finally started to take in what was being said. "Wait, then what does that make him? A vampire or a werewolf?" she asked.

I placed my hand on the table, tracing the Viking symbol for hybrid into the wood. "He's both," I said, my lips quirking as a familiar pair of blue-green eyes flashed across the forefront of my mind.

Elijah watched my fingertips fly across the wood, and he placed his hand atop mine, grinning down at me. "Klaus is a hybrid, deadlier than any werewolf or vampire. Nature would not stand for such an imbalance of power. Therefore the witches, the servants of nature, saw to it that my brother's werewolf side would become dormant," Elijah said.

I growled under my breath, leaning away from my brother, and crossing my arms with a huff. "Stupid meddling witches. Mother Nature is a judgemental bitch and has always done a good job of making her servants just like her. Thank the Gods I have never been forced to deal with her," I said.

Elijah rolled his eyes and Elena swatted at me, her mouth agape.

"Elara Marie! Bonnie is a witch," she said.

I glanced over at her and shrugged, raising my hands. "And? The Bennetts have always been amongst the judgiest of Nature's servants. I'm sorry Elena, but I am of the old gods, and their kind have always gotten on my nerves," I said.

Elijah cleared his throat when Elena started batting her eyes in clear confusion, and she glared at me before turning back to Elijah.

"That's the curse that Klaus wants to break then? He wants to free his wolfie side?" Elena said, huffing.

Elijah tilted his head, brown eyes narrowed into slits but chose to ignore Elena's attitude.

"He wants to trigger the part of him that's a werewolf. If allowed, Klaus would sire his own bloodline. He'd build his own race. Endangering not just vampires, but everyone," Elijah said, turning his head and avoiding my eyes.

Here we go; this was it.

He was so angry with Niklaus for what he believed he had done - burying their siblings at sea - that he was completely turning against him. It was something I couldn't allow to happen. I had promised Rebekah I would protect him from himself, and this would be where I'd have to start. I couldn't have him turning the doppelganger against Niklaus and the idea of Hybrids, nor could I allow Elijah to turn on his brother and destroy their relationship.

Gods give me strength.

I slapped the table, the palm of my hand stinging on contact, and Elijah's head snapped to me - his brown eyes flashing with anger. Elena jumped beside me, but I kept my gaze on my brother, my back straight and intake of breath steady - despite my fear.

"Before we continue brother, there are some things I think we need to address. Like the fact that you have a plan of your own; one that involves murdering Nik," I said.

Elijah laid his arms on the table, cocking his head, eyes trailing my face.

"And where did you acquire said information, sister?" he asked.

I crossed my legs, fiddling with the ruined lace of my dress.

"If I told you, I highly doubt you would believe me, but I can tell you it was from a trustworthy source. That wasn't the only thing I found out; what Niklaus said he did with our siblings was a lie. He only said that because he was angry. He wanted to hurt you. They are still with him, 'Lijah. I will get them back; I plan to wake them," I said.

Elijah's shoulders shook as he inhaled sharply, his jaw tightening.

"And I'm supposed to believe this? I know how you care for him; you would do anything to ensure he remains safe," he said.

I felt my eyes welling up with hot tears and I sniffed, fighting them back.

"You are right; my love for him has never wavered, but do you deny my love for you and our family? Or, has it been too long? Am I no longer a part of Always and Forever?" I asked, my voice cracking.

Elijah watched me closely, and I took a deep calming breath, my chest shuddering as I exhaled.

"I would never lie to you, Elijah. They are safe and I will reunite you with them. We can help him break his curse and get our family back. No one will get hurt, not even my sister," I said, pointing to Elena with my thumb.

Elijah's eyes narrowed and he shook his head. "How exactly do you expect to protect the doppelganger?" he said.

I swallowed roughly, my throat suddenly dry, and decided to drop the metaphorical bomb. "Well, I have been researching the sacrifice for centuries, and I have discovered information not even Nik knows, and as for the how, I know you have something we could use - a potion you planned to give to Katerina. I remember hearing about it once, when I was Clara," I said, my tone soft and unsure.

Elijah's eyes widened, his face paling, and with a stiff breeze, he was gone. Elena gasped and we both looked around, searching for the vampire. The room was eerily silent; I could hear each startled intake of breath coming from Elena. I felt the air around us change, and my stomach dropped as the world spun, colors blending into one. I gripped onto the armrest of the chair, my nails digging into the wood painfully, and squeezed my eyes shut. When the breeze died down, and I could breath unstifled air again, I slowly opened my eyes - meeting the angry and frightened caramel orbs of the Original vampire leaning into my personal space. My heart stuttered, and I placed a shaky palm on Elijah's chest, trying and failing to push him away.

"You... you were the servant girl he killed that night? The one who's body I had to burn?" he said, pulling the chair closer to his taut body.

The loud scraping of wood on stone echoed through the kitchen and I winced at the ear-splitting sound. Elena's heavy, terrified breathing reached my ears, and I worried that she would hyperventilate. The grip Elijah had on the wood chair tightened, and I heard a loud crack, my mind instantly forgetting about Elena.

"That's impossible. You couldn't have been her; she was so young...so young. She didn't recognize us. She didn't know me... or Niklaus," he whispered, voice cracking, his eyes clouding with heartbreaking memories.

His hands moved up the armrest and he leaned closer; I could smell the tea on his warm breath as it fanned across my face.

"Explain," he simply said, his suit jacket falling open.

I leaned away, my head turning from his scrutiny. "I-I am so sorry. This is never easy to tell the people I love, but it's always so much harder when it's one of you. When Esther found out about me and Nik, she cursed me for it, Elijah. When Mikael led me into town to be burned, it activated, and ever since, I have reincarnated. I live my life until my 18th birthday, when the curse reactivates - leading me to inevitable death," I said, tears falling unbidden.

Black veins appeared under Elijah's eyes and a deep growl grew from his chest. He lifted the chair from the ground, and I glanced down at the stone floor, my feet dangling. I looked up at his pale face and found his eyes had darkened to an almost deep red. I placed my hands on his chest, gripping onto the lapels of his jacket, as he slammed the chair back down. I stumbled, the wood cracking below me, snapping into pieces. Elijah caught me in his arms, pulling me away from the mess - chest shaking with rage.

"How? How could you not remember us? Remember me," he accused.

I blinked, my gaze finding a shocked Elena as she bolted to the other side of the kitchen.

"I-I don't always get the memories of everyone I have ever known restored. I am but a human. All those centuries of memories, it's a lot for a human mind to take. As you said, I was young and sometimes it takes time," I said.

Elijah pulled me closer to him, looking down at me. "We could have taken care of you; you were living as a servant," he grimaced.

I giggled, my body trembling from the aftershocks of anxiety. "Oh, Elijah, that is not the first time I have lived such a life," I said.

Elijah's lips turned down and he brushed a piece of wood from my hair. "I apologize for my reaction. I regret that you have been forced to live the life you have. It was unnecessary. If we had only found you sooner, we could have broken your curse fairly quickly. Niklaus carries our mother's grimoires," he said.

I pressed my palms against his chest, taking a few steps back - a deep sigh falling from my lips. "I know, Kol showed me," I said, wincing as I felt him stop breathing.

His fingers wrapped around my wrists, and he pulled me into his chest. "Kol? You've seen our brother. When?" he asked.

I looked up into his fiery gaze and weakly smiled. "Um, a few centuries back, before he was daggered. We ran into each other, he freaked out when I explained how I miraculously existed, but then he agreed with me that it was probably best if I remained a secret. He then decided to help me break the curse. Yet here I am, still cursed, so what's that tell you?" I said.

Elijah held my wrists together, his lips pursed, and he hummed lightly. "It tells me you trusted the reckless brother with your life. Not your smartest decision, Elandra," he said.

I scoffed, fighting to pull my wrists from his grasp; he smiled at my vain attempt.

"Kol is more than capable of breaking a curse. He himself was trained in the art of magic, Elijah. He knew Esther's grimoires like the back of his hand, and there was absolutely nothing in there that could help me. I mean, do you honestly think she would put something in there that could free me? It's as likely as her allowing Niks wolf its freedom. Other than trapping him, I was her greatest accomplishment," I bitterly said.

Elijah pushed me away, his grip still tight on my wrists, and took in my annoyed form. "How old are you, Lannie," he asked.

Elena stepped up beside us and looked at my trapped wrists, crossing her arms with displeasure.

"She is seventeen and also not your property," she said.

Elijah glared at her, his pale skin distorting as black veins wormed their way under his eyes. I pushed my hands toward his chest, fingertips grasping at his jacket.

"Elijah, she is just as worried as you are, that's all. She only wants to protect me," I said.

A mirthless chuckle left his lips, and my brows rose in surprise. This was all very unlike him.

"She knows nothing of who you really are. You belong to our family, and always will. She couldn't possibly understand the chaos and pain that losing you again will bring. I will not allow it," he said his grip tightening.

I would most definitely be bruised tomorrow. I stepped closer to him and laid my head on his chest.

"I believe in you. If you say you will save me, then you will," I said.

For his sake, and that of my sister - who's affronted scoffing was bound to piss my Original brother off - I would appease him. Elijah pulled me to the table, avoiding the mess of wood scattered on the floor, and sat me down next to his chair.

"Let's finish this, I find myself tiring of this conversation," he said.

I chuckled, patting his arm in agreement.

"What else would you like to know Elena?" I asked, watching her take her seat.

"Earlier, you mentioned killing Klaus; can that be done?" Elena asked in a rush of breath.

I shook my head, placing a hand on Elijah's when his body stiffened.

"It can be if you have the right weapon, but they made sure that every last bit of it was destroyed. An Original can only be killed by white oak, and it no longer exists. I keep my eye out just to be sure; you never know when Nik or the others will get too complacent in their old age," I said.

Elijah laughed, shaking his head. "You've been keeping your eye out for white oak, Lannie?" he asked.

I glanced over at him, shrugging. "Yeah, over the many, many, years, I have used a special spell of my own creation to search for white oak - just to make sure. Can't be too safe," I said.

I wouldn't tell him, or anyone else, I had a small piece of it hidden away for safekeeping. I kept it on the off chance that Mikael showed his face. It had been a while since I had searched for white oak though. I decided to add it to my mental checklist.

Couldn't hurt.

"Then how were you going to kill him?" Elena asked.

I raised my hand, rolling my eyes. "Let me guess, a witch channeling a dangerous amount of power catching him during the transition?" I said.

Elijah shrugged, placing his arm over the back of my chair. "Something like that, yes," he said.

He didn't have me fooled, it would have been something exactly like that. I shook my head, turning to Elena.

"That would have gotten someone killed, and is completely unnecessary. I can take care of it with almost zero loss," I said, wagging my brows.

Elena pushed away her teacup, narrowing her eyes. "Almost zero loss?" she said.

I raised my hands, gesturing for her to remain calm. "No worries, the loss will be that of two awful people the world will not miss. I swear it. I can promise Nik will be satisfied with both of them," I said.

"And how can you be sure that they are awful people? What gives you the right to be judge, jury, and executioner?" Elena said.

I shrugged, standing to my feet and pulling on my jacket. "Well, I won't be the executioner, just judge, and jury," I smirked at my sister, unable to hide the way it grew into a smile at her abashed expression. "Elena, I know what I'm doing. The people chosen have more than earned their fate. I understand this isn't something you're comfortable with, and that's why you'll have no part in it. All you have to do is show up, pop a vein, and regenerate," I said.

"Who exactly have you deemed worthy of Klaus's ritual, Elandra?" Elijah said, a smirk on his lips.

I zipped up my jacket and started to pack away the tea tray. There was no way I would leave a mess for Mrs. G.

"Well, I saved someone special specifically for this. I think you'll both find using her quite poetic." Elena took in a startled breath, releasing it with a deep chuckle. I smiled over at her and placed the cream in the fridge. "It just so happens that one Katerina Petrova is currently locked in the tomb where she was thought to be for over a hundred years. I think she'll be a perfect fit. We do need a vampire, and who better than one who turned herself just to escape said ritual."

Elijah stood to his feet, buttoning his jacket. "And the werewolf?" he asked.

I crossed my arms, biting the inside of my cheek. To be honest, I wasn't a hundred percent sure what to do about the werewolf for Niklaus's ritual. I knew I could track one down fairly easily, but only one werewolf had pissed me off enough to seek any form of revenge. Death though was a bit much.

"I have a werewolf in mind, but I am hoping to spare him. I'll have to see if he is worthy of forgiveness, and if so, I will get another," I said.

Elijah's brow rose, and he crossed his arms. "He? And what could this man have possibly done that would have you considering death, sister?" he said.

Elena came to stand beside me, her dark hair falling into her eyes. "Are you talking about Mason?" she said.

I wrapped my arm around her shoulder and nodded. "He threatened the people I claim as my own," I said, shrugging, expression cold.

Elijah's eyes bored into my own, and I felt him come to the realization that as much as he wanted it to be otherwise, I wasn't the same woman he had once known.

"I trust you'll make the right decision," he said.

I sent him a sad sort of smile, and looked down at my sister, adjusting her jacket.

"I think it's time we go home. Have you gotten what you need from, Elijah? At least for now?" I asked.

Elena looked at the Original vampire and nodded; she took my hand and I could feel her settle into acceptance. She knew there was no backing out of what was to come.

"Then I will take the two of you home," Elijah said.

The early morning air was just starting to warm as I followed my sister and best friend into the mist-covered woods. I had been awoken by a pale worry faced Elena at 5 A.M. She had been distraught, her hair a bushy mess atop her head - large purple bags under her eyes. She had gotten a call from Stefan, who had told her that he would find a way to save us no matter what. Apparently Katherine had been able to tell him and Damon just enough to terrify them. I couldn't wait to watch the light leave her eyes.

Stupid doppelganger.

So naturally, after Stefans' worrisome phone call, Elena was bound and determined to find out exactly what Katherine had told the Salvatores. As much as I hated to admit it - in my less than caffeinated state - she was on the right track. In order to stop whatever they tried to do, we would need to know exactly what Katherine had filled their heads with. I trudged through the foliage, my boots sticking in the mushy wet earth. I blew a strand of hair out of my eyes, pushing a branch from my path - the dew hanging from the leaves spraying me in the face as it smacked back into place.

"Elenaaa! It's soooo early!" I whined, my head falling toward my chest as I pulled my foot free from another muddy trap.

Caroline stopped ahead of us, turning toward me, her long blonde hair as perfect in the wet misty air as it was on any normal day. I narrowed my eyes, shaking off my grey cowboy boots with displeasure.

"I know you hate this El. I am not happy about being out here either, but Elena needs us, and this is important. I promise I will buy you a large Frappe as soon as we are done," she said.

I grumbled, stepping past my sister and pulling my black bag from her shoulder as I went

"Fine, but I demand a scone too. Or maybe a muffin!" I said, my eyes widening in joy at the thought of food.

Caroline giggled, pulling me forward. "Blueberry muffin it is, Ellie," she said.

I hummed in happiness, reaching behind me to take Elena's hand. "You always know just what I need Caroline," I said.

Elena rolled her eyes and I pulled her along beside me as we approached the tomb. I spun around, facing Elena and Caroline.

"Okay, remember who it is we are visiting. She will say or do anything to get free. I have her under a spell, but obviously she found some way around it. Do not tell her about Elijah or our deal with him," I said, my gaze firmly on my sister.

Elena nodded, and we both turned to Caroline. She took a deep breath and started down the stairs. We both followed behind her, every small noise amplified by the stone surrounding us. We approached the old stone door blocking the portal to the tomb, and Caroline rubbed her hands down her jeans - her chest rising and falling heavily with each breath.

"Okay, here goes nothing. I sure hope you guys know what you're doing," she said.

Caroline gripped onto the stone, bending her knees, and with the sound of ear-splitting scraping - she pushed it away. The opening was just as I remembered it, a small portal of complete darkness, the only difference now was the lingering smell of smoke and the hint of something just underneath it - charred flesh. I winced, the memory of muffled screams and bright flames flashing before my eyes. Elena moved closer to the opening, peering into the darkness - her face screwing up in question.

"Katherine?" she asked.

I took hold of her shoulder when she stepped too close for comfort and pulled her away. Caroline stood uncomfortably to the side, as close to the exit as possible, and I smiled at her - sensing her unease.

"We've got it from here, Caroline. There is no need for you to stay," I said.

Caroline shook her head, expression freezing into a cold hard fierceness. "No, I can stay with you. I'm okay," she said.

I walked over to her frozen form; she was torn between her loyalty to me and her own wellbeing. She was terrified of Katherine, the woman who had tortured her and then took her life - her mortality. I wouldn't allow her to suffer just because she thought it would make her a bad friend to look out for her own mental wellbeing. I placed a hand on her cheek and smiled.

"Go, wait outside for me. If I end up needing you, I'll holler. It's okay to look out for yourself," I said.

Caroline's blue eyes shined, her nose turning pink; she nodded, sniffling. "You're sure you're okay?" she asked, her tone watery.

I hugged her, wrapping my arms around her tightly, then turned her around - pushing her toward the stairs.

"Go. Let me take care of you," I whispered.

Caroline chuckled, shaking her head. "When don't you?" she mumbled, heading toward the sunlight.

I grinned at her retreating form, before turning back to my sister - who was waiting for me by the entrance to the tomb. I picked up my black bag, and threw the strap over one arm, unzipping it. I dug around inside until I found a silver bottle of blood and a small plastic cup. I handed Elena the cup, and stepped in front of the entrance, shaking the decanter with a cold firm gaze. The blood inside the bottle swished invitingly, and Elena grimaced, her nose scrunching up in disgust.

"Here, kitty, kitty," I said, making kissy noises.

Elena placed a hand on her forehead, and I grinned, continuing to shake the bottle - a silly rhythm overtaking me.

"Come on Kitty Kat! I know you must hangry," I said my tone sing-song.

A low growl bounced off the stone walls, and a grey tinged doppelganger slammed into the magical barrier, her wild doe eyes red with blood lust. A blue spark of light ignited on impact, and she flew backward, her eyes squeezed shut to avoid the blinding glow. She met the ground hard, landing on her ass. Elena blinked, her hands hovering in front of her as she jumped back in fright.

"Well, that was plain stupid. You've been here for how long now? You should have known how that would go down," I said, tisking under my breath.

Katherine sat forward, slowly standing to her feet, ripped dress brown with dirt - she sneered, teeth bared. Her greying skin brought a bright smile to my face.

Desiccation looked good on Katerina Petrova.

"Let me out of here Elandra," she said.

I crossed my arms, a swish of liquid against metal singing from the silver bottle in my hand. Katherine's eye darted to the bottle, and I smirked, lifting it with a pleasant wave.

"We have questions, Katerina. You will stay here just as you are: hungry and desiccating, or you can answer our questions and stay here...fed and alive; for a little longer at least," I said.

Katherine growled, her red eyes staring daggers between me and the bottle. Elena held tightly to the little plastic cup, her breathing heavy. "So, it's a bribe then? What could you possibly want?"

Her hungry calculating gaze dashed to Elena. "Does it have anything to do with what I said to your Salvatores?" she said, leaning against the stone wall and sliding back to the ground, no longer able to stay upright.

Elena sucked in a breath and Katherine chuckled, a deep cough falling from her chest. I took the cup from Elena and sat down on my knees in front of the barrier. I unscrewed the lid from the water bottle and poured a small portion of thick red liquid into the cup. Katherine watched me with intense greedy eyes, her tongue running across chapped lips. I sat the cup in front of the shimmery barrier and pressed my fingers along the side, pushing it across. Katherine grabbed the blood with lightning speed, chugging it down with one swift gulp - her eyes closed in satisfaction. Her skin slowly changed, its color starting to return to its previous perfection. She opened her eyes, laying her head back against the stone, and tossed the cup across the barrier. I caught it with a glare, flecks of blood staining my shirt.

"What exactly did you tell Stefan and Damon, Katherine?" Elena said, wiping blood from my shirt as she sat down next to me.

Katherine rolled her eyes, making a face as she started to mock Elena's mannerisms.

"You are such a bore, Elena!" She turned her head away, laying her legs out in front of her. I swished the bottle and Katherine's eyes flashed red.

"Ugh, you both suck! Fine, I wasn't able to say much, as little Elandra here placed a handy spell on me. Seems every time I try to mention the Ori...the Ori... ugh see, I can't say shit!" Katherine spat, glaring at me with pure malice. I smiled at her, happily filling the plastic cup and scooting it over the barrier. Katherine snatched it up, tossing it back with a sneer. "Luckily though, I was able to tell them a version of my story; I could get out just enough for them to realize exactly the type of vampires they were dealing with. Now they know I was due to be sacrificed and instead chose to become a vampire," she said.

I slammed the bottle down, my face hard. "Did you tell them what it cost you? Or do they now think they can convince Elena to do the same or maybe even run?" I asked.

Katherine scoffed, leaning closer to the barrier. "Of course I didn't, you fucking spelled me. I can't mention Kl... Ni... dammit! I can't mention any of them, so of course, I couldn't tell them anything else. It doesn't really matter though, does it? You and precious Elena are dead regardless. Break ties with the Salvatores now, and maybe they can be spared the pain of your deaths," she said, sitting back.

Tears welled in Elena's eyes and I patted her arm, shooting Katherine a death glare.

"You don't know what you're talking about, Katerina. Elena isn't going to die," I said, pulling my sister to her feet.

I glanced down at Katherine, my expression softening just a hint - an old feeling of sadness pooling in my chest. "I'm sorry you didn't have someone fighting for you when it was your time, but back then, I didn't know what I do now. Elena won't suffer your fate, Katerina," I said.

Katherine stood, her elbow pressed against the stone beside her. "This is one fight you will not win. Elena will die, but at least she won't have to learn to live life without her twin sister. That's one less person you have to worry about mourning you," she said, smirking, sharp vicious ridicule on her face.

Turning around, she disappeared into the darkness, her fingertips running along the wall. Elena stepped closer to the barrier, a snarl on her lips - brown eyes red and puffy. "You will always be remembered as the weak doppelganger, Katherine, the one that was too afraid to accept her fate, and because of that, you got your entire family killed. I, on the other hand, will be the doppelganger to give Klaus everything he wants, and keep my family safe and alive - my sister included. Enjoy what little time you have left, Katherine," she said, backing away with a sneer.

My eyes were wide as I followed Elena outside, her attitude and determination had come as a complete surprise, but I had to admit, it was a nice change of pace.

I parted ways with Elena and Caroline at the coffee shop. They had both decided school was in the cards for today, and I couldn't have agreed less. Instead, I decided to stop by Mrs. G's and check on Elijah. As I approached the house, I noticed the elderly piano instructor sitting on the porch swing, her blue dress blowing in the gentle breeze as she gently swung back and forth - a cup of iced tea in hand.

"Hola Senora," I said, smiling as I stepped onto the porch.

Mrs. G grinned, her cheeks dimpling, and she patted the wooden swing - signaling for me to take a seat next to her.

"Hola, Elara, have you come to see your brother?" She raised a questioning brow, and I nodded, taking a deep breath in through my nose - inhaling the enticing scent of rose. "Ah, well he is inside." She glanced from side to side, her eyes sparkling, and a sly smile overtook her face. "Invitó a su atractivo amigo y a su hijo," she said, giggling.

I laughed at her pink cheeks and took a quick glance over my shoulder, shooting a questioning look at her front door. "An attractive friend you say?" I whispered, leaning closer.

She nodded, placing a finger on her lips and then allowing her hands to fall into her lap. "Si, and a cute young man about your age; the son. Deberías ver si es Soltero" she said, winking.

I smacked at her arm, rolling my eyes. "I am not interested, no matter how cute," I said.

Mrs. G took a sip of her tea and raised her hands, brushing me away. "Away with you," she said.

I stood, the swing swaying as I did, and headed for her front door - waving at her over my shoulder. The screen door creaked as I pushed it open and I found Elijah sitting in an armchair, his legs crossed - a binder in hand. Across from him, on the loveseat, sat two obviously related men. They both had the same deep eyes and sharp jawline. Every head snapped to me as I entered, and I placed my hands in front of me, a grimace of a smile crossing my lips. The older man's eyes narrowed and his hands bunched into fists, body tensing as if in preparation for battle. My brows twitched and I crossed my arms, scanning both of the newcomers with interest. I could feel strong magical energy radiating from them, and I smiled - lifting a finger and waving it in warning. Elijah smirked, leaning back in his seat with a shake of his head.

"I wouldn't Jonas, Elandra is no threat - unless provoked," he said.

Jonas's eyes rounded, the space between his brows wrinkling, and he shot Elijah a shocked glance.

"Elandra...Rioult? That's impossible! The daughters of the old Gods died out over a thousand years ago," he said, his voice wavering - a hint of fear coloring his tone.

My head jerked back in pure shock; I hadn't been referred to in such a way for centuries. Elijah's fingertips traced his bottom lip and he glanced at me, his expression shining with love and just a hint of pride.

"Well that is what we believed, but Elandra is alive, and just as powerful now as she was in the beginning; I wouldn't test her," he said.

Elijah gestured toward the two men, and although Jonas sat up straighter, brushing off his jacket and fidgeting in his seat - his attention remained firmly affixed on me.

"This is Jonas and his son Luka Martin. They are both working for me," he said.

I stepped further into the room, coming to stand beside my brother. "I assume they are being employed for their magical talents?" I said.

Elijah unconsciously leaned closer to me, his elbow brushing my arm - it was as if he was radiating toward my presence. I smiled down at him and briefly ran my fingers through his hair, my nails scraping his scalp. He closed his eyes against the sensation, basking in the feeling.

"Yes, we are working together. Niklaus has taken Jonas's daughter Greta. They are hoping for her return," he said.

I glanced at the Martins, observing them. Luka sat by his father, eyes cast down in defeat, it was obvious to see that he had the same feelings on the matter that I did. I felt pity for them, but if Niklaus had taken a member of their family, then there was a very real chance they would never see her again.

"Well then, I will see what I can do. If Greta wants her freedom, I'm sure I can figure something out," I said.

Jonas scoffed, glaring at me, and I raised a brow - challenging him.

"If you really are the same Elandra Rioult, then how do you expect us to trust you? You and Klaus have a history, and I doubt you would put that aside for two witches you just met," he said.

I could feel Elijah stiffen beside me at Jonas's blatant disrespect, and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"You are right, Niklaus and I have history, but that doesn't mean we agree on everything. There are certain things that I won't abide by, and holding someone against their will, is one of them. If Greta wants to be free then she will be," I said.

I could feel my power surge and Luka sat back, his mouth falling open as my eyes glowed faintly. Elijah lifted his hand, placing it on mine, and I connected my fingers with his - closing my eyes with a deep breath.

"If I am to trust you with the fate of my daughter, then I will need more than just your word. I know what your kind can do; I want a vow," Jonas said.

Elijah jerked forward, his expression artic. I pressed my hand on his chest, trying in vain to push him away from the witch.

"There will be no vows. Elandra will not tie herself eternally to your ancestral line. Her word will be enough for you Jonas," Elijah said.

Jonas sneered, his brown eyes sparking with distrust.

"I have been betrayed by your family before Elijah; I will not make the mistake of trusting any of you. I care little for a pretty face. I will not be fooled by one," he said.

I could feel Elijah's chest vibrate, and his breathing doubled as he stared the witch down in anger. I leaned down, placing my lips close to his ear, and he turned his head - allowing me better access.

"Lijah it's okay, I will make the vow. This will not be the first time I've maneuvered around obstacles within binding magic," I whispered.

I could feel him fight back a shiver, his back stiffening as he turned away. I frowned down at him, afraid he was angry with me for agreeing and took a breath, straightening as I turned to the witches.

"Fine, let's get this over with. I will agree to help you free Greta to the best of my abilities, but that is all. I will not tie myself to your family. I have already promised myself to the Bennetts, and I'm a one witch ancestry line kinda gal," I released a breath, sticking out my tongue. "That's a mouthful, ain't it," I said, laughing.

I stepped away from Elijah, who stood to his feet behind me and met Jonas in the middle of the small living room. He extended his hand, and I gently took it, my eyes firmly attached to his. He made to speak and I cocked a smile, shaking my head.

"No, that's not how this is going to work. You need my magic for the binding; I will choose what is said. I know you witches, always trying for more than what was originally offered."

My grip on his hand tightened, and I could feel my magic buzzing between us - a tingling sensation flickering across my skin.

"I Elandra Rioult, swear to help your daughter Greta Martin, gain her Freedom from Niklaus Mikaelson - if she so wishes it," I said.

A ribbon of golden magic wrapped around my wrist and flowed toward Jonas, his wide eyes watched as the golden thread wrapped around his own wrist - connecting us until I completed the promised task. As the magic faded, he released my hand, stepping away and unconsciously rubbing at his wrist. Elijah placed his hands on my shoulders, his troubled eyes trained on my wrist. He pulled me away from the witches, and I smiled up at him, flashing my pale wrist - silver bracelet shining.

"See all is well. No harm done," I said, as he pulled me onto the front porch.

Mrs. G has disappeared, probably out back to her garden as it was still a beautiful day. The sun was shining brightly, the blue sky clear and welcoming.

"How can you possibly think all is well. You know what will happen if Klaus decides he wants to keep the girl. You will die," he said, yanking me toward his chest.

I rolled my eyes, placing my hands on his jacket and fixing the rumbled lapels.

"Elijah, you and I both know that it's likely she doesn't wish to be free. Besides, it's getting closer and closer to my birthday, one of these things is bound to be what the curse chooses," I said, shrugging sadly.

Elijah's eyes flashed with anger and he gripped my arms tightly. "Enough! I don't want to hear any more about your curse. Neither I nor Niklaus will allow our mother to take you again," he said.

He glanced down at his hands and grimaced, gently releasing me. His gaze traced over my face and he placed his hands on my cheeks, eyes dark with emotion. "We will find a way," he said.

I made to speak but couldn't find the words, my throat thick with unshed tears and centuries of unshared emotions. I ran my fingertips across his chin and nodded; it was all I could do. With a brief burst of air, he was gone, leaving behind nothing but a burning in my chest. I huffed, scrunching up my nose with agitation. I was so sick and tired of everyone telling me how wrong I was, how they would fix everything. It was a great dream, a wonderful idea, but it was only ever going to be just that. No one had ever been able to save me from the curse. I headed down the walkway, the sky above me no longer holding as much beauty as it had before.

I could hear the TV idly blaring in the distance, but my mind tuned it out as I flipped to the next page in my book. Elena's heavy annoying head twisted around in my lap, and I could sense her eyes boring into my face. My book jerked as she poked at the cover, and I glared at the sentence I had been forced to read twice because of her interruptions.

"Psst, Ellie, I'm hungry," she said.

I pressed the book to my chest and narrowed my eyes down at the pestering doppelganger.

"And that's my problem because?" I said.

Elena's lips twitched, but she kept her pouty facade intact.

"Well, what would Klaus think if he knew you were starving his blood sacrifice?" she said, her lips finally curling.

My chest shook as I laughed, eyes burning with mirth. I grabbed the pillow behind us and smacked her with it. Her hands came up to protect her face and she squealed.

"No, no, precious material here!" she said, her cheeks inflamed.

I pushed her off my lap and she rolled, landing on the floor, a loud 'humph' of air escaping her lungs. I gently kicked her side and she laughed, picked herself up on her knees.

"Wow, someone has allowed dying for an immortal Hybrid to go straight to her head," I said, sighing dramatically.

Elena's red face smiled up at me and she rolled her eyes, tossing her hair with a smirk.

"You're just jealous that I get to die in his ritual," she said, a posh tone to her voice.

We both giggled and I pulled her from the floor, grabbing my midsection with a wince. "Too much laughter on an empty stomach. Onward ritual sacrifice, let us feed you," I said.

Elena wrapped an arm around my waist and we headed toward the kitchen, stopping in our tracks at the sound of panicked knocking on the front door. I looked down at my sister and her expression had an exhausted sigh escaping me.

"Stefan and Damon," we both said.

I focused on the front door and allowed their auras to wash over me, confirming that it was, in fact, the Salvatores awaiting us. Elena took my hand and I nodded down at her.

"It's okay if they truly care about us, then they will accept our decision," I said.

I knew full well that Damon would never accept Elena participating in the ritual, but it wasn't his choice, and he would have to come to terms with that. Elena let go of my hand and headed toward the door, her whole body tense. I sat back down on the couch, crossing my legs and releasing a burst of air - and with it the anxiety I felt at seeing Damon again. I heard the door creak open and Elena's subtle intake of breath but remained facing away from the door, giving her a bit of space. They needed to know she was doing this on her own as much as she was for me. She wanted us to stay together, but this was also for the safety of those she loved - the Salvatores included.

"Can we talk?" Stefan said.

Elena pressed her hand against the wall, barring the vampire duo entrance into the house.

"Why?" she asked, shuffling from one foot to the other.

I casually glanced over my shoulder and noticed Stefan being shoved to the side, a leather jacket taking his place.

"We went to see Katherine. Now let us inside, or have you forgotten us asking is only a courtesy at this point," he snarled, searching gaze darting over her shoulder.

I quickly looked away, my traitorous heartbeat speeding up. I tapped a calming beat on my thigh and gazed at the muted TV - watching the familiar rerun of Supernatural.

This was good; Jared Padalecki was always a perfect distraction.

I could hear Elena shuffling behind me, and the door creaked almost ominously as she pulled it further open.

"Fine, come on in," she said, sighing deeply.

I closed my eyes and mentally prepared myself for the surly draining conversation we were about to have. The couch dipped and I grimaced, my face scrunching up in annoyance. I turned toward whoever had joined me, my fingers playing with the frayed denim of my blue jeans. Damon looked down at my racing fingers, his blue eyes calculating. He tossed his arm over the back of the couch, jacket parting to reveal a dark grey button-up shirt.

"Nervous, Ellie Bean," he smirked, cool eyes running over my face.

I took in his laid back form, the way he had all but sunk into the couch, his usual smirk plastered onto his face. He was trying much too hard to look unaffected by what was going on. Even the coldness in his eyes looked forced, an act put on to hide how drained he felt by everything that was happening.

"No, just exhausted," I said, answering with sheer honesty.

He chuckled, lifting his head, a few strands of onyx hair falling into his blue eyes.

"Really, the great and powerful Elandra is tired. I figured you'd be sleeping like a baby. Aren't you excited that your past is working its way into the present? You've even got your sister ready to jump off the nearest cliff," he sneered.

I could feel my eyes ready to pop from their sockets; his hate-filled words were a Mikaelson worthy dagger to the heart. An angry gasp on the other side of the room shook me from my stupor and I slowly released a breath, turning my head to find a pair of fire-filled doe eyes.

"How dare you! You have no clue what you're talking about," she said, tone low and filled with fury.

Stefan stood beside her, his expression wary as he stared down at Elena.

"We just want to protect you Elena, and if what Katherine said is true, then you are going to die unless we take you away...or turn you," Stefan said.

Elena bolted toward Damon, her sudden movement shocking both brothers. "You come into our home, and speak to my sister like she - whom you have known for over a hundred years - is rooting for my death, and then proceed to act like your way is the only way. You can't tell me you honestly trust or believe Katherine over El," she said, shoving a hand out toward me.

Stefan quickly shook his head, trying unsuccessfully to reign in his shock. I couldn't say I blamed him, I was still hovering between shock at what Damon had said, and shock that my sister was still on my side; it wasn't something I was used to. Damon shifted next to me, and I scooted closer to the other end of the couch. If the quite growl and shifting of his own body was anything to go by, then I'm quite sure he noticed the small action.

"No, we don't trust her. But she gave us an idea, something we can try before we either jump town or force-feed you our blood and..." Damon said, trailing off as he ran his finger across his throat.

Elena scoffed, shaking her head as she looked at me - a terrifying laugh of disbelief escaping her. I sat forward, shooting her a calming expression as I raised my hands, taking a deep breath as I lowered them. She followed my actions, steadying her labored breathing.

"I told you this would happen, Elena. Just stay calm; you have nothing to fear. I will protect you," I said, my eyes never leaving hers.

"Yeah save her so that she can die in your family's ritual," Damon said.

I could feel his glare on my back, a searing unforgiving heat. I stood to my feet, spinning around and meeting his cold stare.

"You know literally nothing. Yes, Elijah is my adopted brother, but I would never turn my back on my current family. I can, and will, protect Elena. She doesn't have to permanently die," I turned to meet Stefan's gaze. "None of this is about you guys, this is Elena's decision and she is making the smartest one - for everyone involved," I said.

Damon huffed, glancing at Elena. "You are letting her manipulate you into dying. You saw how quickly she turned on all of us as soon as the Original showed up," he said.

I turned around, my hands raised in front of me. "What are you talking about? I saved your asses. He would have killed you! I haven't turned my back on any of you. Niklaus will destroy anyone who stands in his way. If you try to prevent this ritual he will kill all of us, just as he did Katherine's family," I said.

Elena joined me, standing at my side with a single nod of her head. "I won't end up like Katherine. Elara is our best chance at survival, and peace with the Originals is the only way I won't lose her again," she said.

I smiled down at her, taking her hand in mine. The longer this went on, the more bizarre it became. Stefan took in our joined hands, and his shoulders slumped.

"I understand you want to protect everyone, both of you, but I can't just stand by and watch you die, Elena, not when I know there is another way, " he said.

Damon stood, the couch groaning against the force he used in his anger, and came to stand directly in front of Elena - his distant eyes shining down on me.

"Give us the moonstone, or we will tear this house apart until we find it. Your choice," he said, shrugging nonchalantly.

Elena's brow rose and she stepped around the stiff raven-haired Salvatore, heading toward Stefan with her arms crossed.

"You cannot be serious. There is no way Jenna or Alaric would let you rip our house to shreds," she said smirking, a tilt to her head.

Damon turned around, smiling menacingly. "Oh princess, do you honestly think they could stop me," he said.

Elena bared her perfect teeth, dark hair falling into her face as she stepped closer to him, but before things could progress further, Stefan and I stepped up - our hands raised to stop our siblings from baiting one another.

"Stop. That's enough." Elena shot one final glare at Damon and crossed her arms, her jaw tight. I turned to Stefan, rubbing at my forehead in exhaustion. "Would one of you like to explain why you think having the moonstone will help you?" I said.

Damon placed his hands on his hips, his expression falling into one of disgust as he looked at me. I winced at the change in demeanor. The flood of cold hatred in his eyes was something I had only seen when Katherine was around. To think that was how far I had fallen, to be given such a look of hatred reserved only for someone who had torn him apart; it was heartbreaking.

"According to a contact of Stefans, there's a way to destroy the spell that Klaus wants to break. All we have to do is release if from the moonstone. No spell, no doppelganger sacrifice. Ergo, Elena lives," he arrogantly said.

I could sense there was more to the story then either of them was letting on, I highly doubted this contact of their's had anything to do with Stefan but kept my mouth shut. Right now they didn't trust me, there was no way they would openly share information.

"You just expect us to hand over the moonstone so that you can destroy it? And you think that won't piss him off enough to kill us all? What do you think will come of this? Lollipops and rainbows?" Elena said, scoffing.

Damon stuck out his hand, his fingers curling impatiently. "That's not for you to worry about. Let us handle this," he said.

Elena stomped to the entryway, her feet padding silently against the carpet. She yanked open the white front door, her chest rising and falling in agitation, static scattering bits of her hair. "Leave. Now," she said, eyes downcast.

Damon shook his head, taking a small step forward. "No. Give us the moonstone," he said.

I closed my eyes, my brain beating furiously against my skull, and chuckled darkly. "You won't get anything from us. The moonstone isn't here, and even if it was, it would be hidden by my magic and impossible to find. I have entrusted it to someone and they will never give it to you," I said.

Damon sped in front of me, catching me off guard, and I stumbled - falling onto the couch. Stefan sped next to us, glaring at Damon, his hand outstretched toward me.

"Control yourself," he said.

Damon leaned down, his hand on the armrest - ignoring his brother as his gaze raked me over.

"You wouldn't let it out of your sight, Elandra. I'm not stupid. Do you think I haven't put together exactly who this Klaus guy is? The mysterious fiance from the past; the one that got you cursed," he said, his expression hardening.

I scooted closer, my face inches from his, and shook my head. "I don't have it. I knew you would hate me once you found out. It wasn't hard to guess that I would become enemy number one, at least until Nik showed up, so I gave it to one of the only people I knew I could still trust. They won't give it to you. Hate me if it makes you feel better, but I have never betrayed any of you. I can't change my past, nor would I want to, it made me who I am today. It brought me the people I love," I said.

I placed a hand on Damon's chest, reveling in the small shiver I could feel overtake him as I pressed against him - allowing him to pull me to my feet as he straightened. At least I still knew he cared, somewhere beneath the pain and sense of betrayal.

"Who did you give it to, Elandra?" Stefan asked.

I moved away from Damon, joining Elena at the door. "No, Elena is right. It's time you go. The moonstone is not yours, and messing with the ritual is a stupid and dangerous idea," I said.

Elena gestured to the door, and Stefan shook his head, stomping toward the porch.

"We just want to help, Elena. I can't sit back why you go off to die," he said.

Elena brushed her fingers along his cheek and kissed him gently.

"I will come back, Stefan. It's only temporary. It's the best option," she said.

Stefan cupped her cheek and sighed, closing his eyes before he stepped outside, his head hung low. Damon stepped up next to me, leaning down to my ear.

"I will find that stone, Elandra, and you better hope whoever has it doesn't put up a fight," he said.

I pushed him away, pointing at the door. "Damon, for your sake, I hope you don't. You have no idea what you're getting yourself into" I said.

With a smirk he was gone, the door snapping shut behind him in a stiff gust of wind.

"Well that was dramatic," Elena said.

I shook my head and started toward the kitchen, my head still aching from stress.

"So, who did you give it to?" Elena asked.

I opened the freezer door and grabbed the ice cream, sitting it down on the counter before I waved my hand - a blue bubble wrapping around the room. The shimmering burst of light caught Elena off guard and she stumbled, falling off the barstool and landing on the floor. I giggled, taking a spoon from the drawer beside me and pooping the lid from the ice cream.

"I gave a duplicate to Tyler. I have the real one," I said, taking a spoonful of Cherry Garcia.

Elena watched me lick the spoon, her eyes wide.

"What!? If Damon figures it out, he'll kill him!" she said.

I rolled my eyes, dipping the spoon back into the half-empty container.

"Please, Tyler is about to become a werewolf - if he isn't already. He can handle himself. But don't worry, I'll watch out for him. Our friends will be safe, and if Damon gets ahold of the duplicate...oh well. It may keep him occupied for a little while. It's kind of a win-win," I said, shrugging.

Elena yanked the ice cream from my hand, the spoon clattering against the tile counter.

"What!? Tyler is a werewolf now? Since when? I need to know these things, Elara!" she shouted, my ears ringing.

I winced, wiggling my earlobe dramatically. Elena glared, slamming the container onto the counter, a few flecks of melted chocolate splashing onto her hand. She glared at me as if warning me to laugh as she licked her hand off.

"There...was an accident, and he killed someone...a mugger in the city. He doesn't like to talk about it. I helped him out, and that is that," I lied.

Tyler and I promised we would never reveal what really happened that day. There is no way people would understand why he wanted his curse broken. Besides, you don't talk about murder club; it's rule one.

"He killed someone, and you what, helped him hide it?" she said, her head tilting as she tried to understand.

"We were in the city and someone attacked us, Tyler fought back, and accidentally killed him. I helped him get rid of any evidence that we were there. Tyler wasn't in any state for an interrogation, Elena, he had just activated his werewolf gene," I said, using the story Tyler and I had come up with.

Elena looked up at me, placing her hand on mine. "I get it, I don't like it, but I get it," she said, standing. "I am going to bed, Elara. I need some sleep."

I watched her go, her hands in her hair. I felt bad that I had to lie to her. Things were actually starting to run smoothly between us, but even so, there were still some things Elena just couldn't handle.

I put the ice cream back in the freezer, tossing the spoon in the sink as I headed toward the living room. As much as I wanted to succumb to sleep myself, all the talk of Tyler had me realizing it was time I called him. I needed to know how things were progressing. Not to mention there was a certain uncle of his I needed info on. As I headed up the stairs, I thought over my werewolf problem. The idea of using Mason in the ritual didn't sit right with me, but I wondered if perhaps Mason came from a pack? It couldn't be all that hard to lure them to Mystic Falls. I would then have a whole pack to choose from, and Niklaus could have the rest. Hmm, now there's a capital idea. I smiled as I sat down on my bed, pulling out my cell. I was about to cross yet another thing off my mental checklist.

Hell yeah!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88.5K 2.6K 44
𝐋𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐨𝐫𝐚 𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐞, A girl turned weapon, obtaining an insatiable desire of knowledge. Desperate to hold the worlds secrets in the palm of...
438K 11.2K 41
Henrik Mikaelson has been reincarnated as Jeremy Gilbert, the younger brother of Elena Gilbert - the latest Petrova Doppelganger whom Klaus is determ...
450K 9.9K 51
When you think of Klaus Mikaelson, you think of the murderous Original hybrid; few don't and Violet is one of them. After saving her life in the 1920...
53.7K 1.2K 34
❝ 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞'𝐬 𝐚 𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞, 𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞.. ❞ the original family.. the first vampires, the legends that are told to...