Poseidon

By killingmesoftly__

❝ Why me? Of all the women in the world, why choose a normal girl much different from your world? ❞ ❝ It's si... More

characters
prologue
one
two
three
four
quick announcement
five
six
seven
nine
ten

eight

247 14 2
By killingmesoftly__

"To be quite honest with you, I never expected you to actually call," Cassandra noted once she'd finally met face to face with Theo.

Not long after contacting Cassandra did Theo rush to her office to search for answers the only way she knew how. At one point she considered making this journey with Ryan at her side, but evidently they weren't as close as she'd initially believed.

"Why's that?" She begged the question.

"In all our time during the internship and training together, you were never really the bold one. You were so meek. You've got a talent for writing, but you didn't stand out to me. I'm glad you proved me wrong."

"But," she began, "where's waterboy?"

"He's out of the equation. It's just me and you. Tell me what you know and how I can help."

"He could be useful." Cassandra surmised.

"We'll see about that. Now, spill."

"Alright. Renatta Gilbert is no more than a power-hungry bitch hell-bent on conveying this false angelic persona to the world so they'd never guess what she was truly involved in behind the scenes." Cassandra said as she stood from her desk.

Whilst seemingly searching her office she continued her observations.

"What made you investigate her in the first place? What tipped you off about her?"

"I don't trust people who push this superhero agenda. What human being genuinely wants to help this shitty world whilst asking for nothing in return? No one but fools or liars."

"Which draws me to the terrorist group called The Saviors. Have you heard of them?"

She then returned and dropped a small file before Theo.

"They're some anonymous people tied to some attacks against the gods and goddesses who've made themselves known on Earth." Theo honestly answered.

They'd come across her radar once or twice but it was something far bigger than her. Theo had only just laid a finger on the file when Cassandra slapped it close.

"Before we get any further, I need you to swear to me that whatever is revealed in this room stays in this room. I can't risk any of this being leaked before I've had the opportunity to gather as much leverage as possible."

"Not even my own best friend?"

"No one. It's safer for you and anyone you care about. Got it?"

"Got it." She relented.

Once Cassandra removed her hand, Theo flipped the file open and gasped at the sight of Renatta and another woman photographed in suspicious places with what she believed to be weaponry far too advanced to be legal for a regular person to own.

"You're not saying.."

"They are the Saviors. The woman at her side is Jelena, her longtime girlfriend who prefers to keep out of the spotlight but they're pretty much inseparable. Especially after the loss of their third member, an unnamed person who pretty much handled everything for them. This is why since their death, Renatta's gotten a bit sloppy."

"I don't understand. What would Renatta have against me? I'm a normal human being."

"That's what I don't quite understand and why I asked for your help."

"How long have you been following this case?"

"About a year or two."

"And do you have any leads? A plan? While these pictures might be a bit incriminating, Renatta has the best lawyers money can buy and she's seemingly always a step ahead, so where does this end?"

"That's why I was hoping you brought your little boyfriend with you."

"He's not my-"

"Doesn't matter. But a year ago, shortly after I got wind of Renatta's schemes, Aphrodite was attacked by someone who was armed with a weapon that would change her life forever. Since then she's been recluse in her home and I know she'd be more than happy to find the bitch who tried to kill her."

"That's why she's been so absent? I assumed she was bored with this world."

"I doubt it. But if we speak to her, perhaps we could get some details about the attack which could lead to whoever is supplying Renatta and Jelena."

"Who could even create something that's powerful enough to harm a god?"

"We'll find out tomorrow afternoon. I'll pick you up sometime after one."

"You have her address?"

"I'm an investigative journalist. I have everyone's address." Cassandra rolled her eyes.

"Wait. I know you, Cassandra. You don't do anything without some advantage for yourself. What are you getting out of this? You never play the hero."

"Does it really matter?" She asked instead.

"Yes. How can we work together if I don't know that I can fully depend on you when the time comes?"

"Look, I'm not here to give you a sob story. All you need to know is that I lose the only person that truly gave a shit about me at the hands of those monsters and I'd much rather spend time doing something productive rather than pour my heart out to you."

And despite it being a rather blunt answer, it was enough for now. Besides she was still bothered by her own involvement in their plans. Whatever could Renatta gain from killing her?

"Stop thinking. I recognize that dumb curiosity swimming in your eyes. Sometimes things happen for a reason and Renatta's too unpredictable to ever truly understand her. Not that I care, but how have you been since your experience?"

"If you don't care, why ask?"

"Because I don't need a shaken partner when shit gets rough. Are you okay?"

"As okay as I can be. Honestly, it's been weeks and it feels like it just happened. Sometimes I'll lay in bed at night and sudden noises from the street will keep me up for hours. It's almost like someone's out there watching, waiting for the chance to finish the job.."

She trailed off, yet again reminded of the chills she'd get just thinking of it. Someone wanted her dead. She could have died. How could she ever move on from that?

"Then why don't you take a break. A real break. Go to a safe place. Somewhere that you feel as though you've escaped from everything. Relax before tomorrow."

"Maybe," she sighed, "well, this has been quite the evening. I guess I'll see you tomorrow."

"Right. Be safe."

She didn't know that she would with the looming fear for her life hanging over her head but she knew for sure of a place that would feel magical to her at this moment.

*

Theo surprised herself when she actually drove to the spot on the cliffside she hadn't seen in so long. But once laid eyes on the powerful waves below her feet she felt a euphoric sense of relief she didn't know would nearly bring her to tears.

But her short-lived peace could only last so long when she heard a familiar voice close behind her.

"You do know no one's allowed on my property, right?" Poseidon's humorous voice asked.

Though it might have been meant to lift her spirits it only reminded her of his sudden departure and she all but marched towards her car without so much as a second glance in his direction.

And of course, the persistent man was on her tail every step of the way.

"Theo, wait. Please hear me out." He calmly stated.

"For what? Humiliating me? Ghosting me? Or is it the evident case of stalking?"

"First of all, I had no idea you were hear. This was merely a coincidence. Second of all, I didn't mean to make you look like you weren't doing your job correctly, which you were. And lastly, I didn't think you'd want to hear from me after what I did. Now I can admit that I could've handled it all much better."

"Or you could have left me alone!" She spat.

"Excuse me?"

"I know you sought me out. I know you specifically asked to have this article with me. Which is admittedly now the creepiest thing I've ever heard of, didn't matter until you decided to take back which what you asked for. What kind of bullshit is that?" Theo rambled on.

And while seeing the small woman so frustrated was probably one of the funniest sights the god had ever seen he had also started to see the error of his ways.

"I am sorry, believe me. But you don't understand."

"Sorry, my ass. I don't know why I even came here in the first place. And I never want to see you again." She lied.

"That's not true." He commented.

"You don't know that. You don't know me. You bailed on me!"

"Bailed on what? What exactly is it that you believe I walked out on?" The cocky bastard asked with a smirk.

Then he took a step forward, which caused Theo to take on back in return.

"I-It doesn't matter. Whatever this is o-or was, it's done. Take your magical shit elsewhere and stop following me."

"I can't do that."

"And why not?"

"....I don't know."

"I-Are you hearing yourself right now?" The bewildered Theo asked.

Every word that came out of his mouth contradicted everything she thought she once knew about the god and his sudden flirty demeanor was much unlike who he was when they'd first met.

Then the emboldened god took another step which left her pressed flat against her car door.

"It all sounds strange, but I can explain."

"Explain what. This isn't making any sense. You don't make any sense!"

"You don't think I know that?! Everywhere I go, I see you! I see your eyes, your smile, your laugh and it's all I want to hear for the rest of my life. And it scares the hell outta me. I tried to stay away but you just kept pushing and taking over every one of my senses until all that I could feel was you."

"Then I walked away. Kept me from ever having to see you but it only made the need much worse. A-And I don't know that it's something I ever want to go a day without." He said.

And then he made it much worse by looking at her as if she were the only thing that could possibly exist in her world. She could hardly even find the words that encompass how a simple look could make her feel.

But she bet it couldn't come close to the way it felt when she suddenly took a tight hold of his coat and pulled him until there wasn't even the bit of space between the two. And with all the confidence in her possession, she stood on the very tip of her toes and kissed the only man that mattered to her at this very moment.

And when her lips met his it felt like all was right with the world. Poseidon's lips moved against hers with such urgency that took her very breath away. She couldn't help but smile against him just before taking his bottom lip between her teeth and sending a bundle of shivers down his spine. And in return, he carefully took a hold of her hair and positioned her in a way so that he could taste all of her and that he did.

At that moment she swore that the world had slowed down around the two. Nothing else could possibly matter. Not Cassandra, not Renatta, and most definitely not the shadow close by just a pull away from pulling the trigger aimed at her.

Thoughts?

---

Vote

Share

Comment

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

100 0 22
The only difference between me and the average 18 year old fresh out of High-school is the night terrors I've had since I was a child. Not just norma...
60K 3.2K 32
Hades stopped and without turning around, he spoke, "Tell the Olympians that they don't have to worry about Demeter, because my wrath will dwarf hers...
148 0 16
Grim doesnt remember anything if his past. All he does is work but tgat all changes when he has to go to a school to watch his next victim. He starts...
1.7K 571 15
In the dark ages of ancient Greek, Hades, the cunning lord of the underworld who had been tremendously hating humans he thought to be hypocrites for...