The Witcher: Story of the Bla...

Por CRHarris

Based on the original Netflix series, The Witcher. Each chapter relates to its corresponding episode. Excerpt... Más

Introduction
Ep. 2
Ep. 3
Ep. 5
Ep. 6
Ep. 7
Ep. 8

Ep. 4

368 9 0
Por CRHarris

Prologue

For six years they accompanied Geralt and Jaskier on their random, but fruitful journeys. Faiza never explained her reasons for being there. Never knew how. Lucky for her, Geralt never asked. Jaskier and Roz spend a majority of their time waiting on the two witcher's as they take down the monsters they're contracted out to handle. Consistent talks of the ways of a bard.

The three of them sit in a tavern awaiting Geralt's return. Faiza able to sit this one out. Listening to a man as he recounts the tale of "The White Wolf versus the Selkimore". Faiza sits amused and impressed at the fact that she can See it all as it transpires.

FOUR

Faiza and Roz sit in the back corner of the tavern as Jaskier takes notes.

"Uhm...and then what happened?"

"He died," the man responds solemnly.

"Eh. He's fine." Faiza laughs at Jaskier's apathy and complete disregard of the dramatic end of the White Wolf.

"What's so funny?" Roz asks.

"He's right."

"Well, which one? The storyteller or the bard?" Faiza looks towards the door as Geralt kicks it open, covered in selkimore intestine. Faiza sits her face on her hand as she can smell irritation, disgust, and...guts emanating from him while everyone serenades. Including Roz with a great deal of vigor, of course. Geralt heads straight to the bar, Jaskier right behind. They have their quick conversation and Geralt walks out. Jaskier comes over to the table and sits next to Roz.

"So, ladies. Geralt and I have some business to tend to this evening. Maybe more pleasure than business actually. I would invite you both, but I do believe that I can only bring one person."

"I'm not interested in banquets anyway," Faiza responds. Jaskier turns to look at Roz and points in Faiza's direction.

"How did she..." Roz shakes her head to get him to move on. Jaskier looks at both women and hurries off after Geralt. Faiza laughs.

"It wasn't my Sight, he yelled "food, women, and wine" loud enough for everyone to hear."

Faiza drinks down the ale and looks at all the patrons that are still looking to the man with the story.

"So, have you figured out what you're doing now that you've found him, then?" Faiza furrows her brows and shrugs. "You've had no plan?" Faiza gulps down the rest of her drink and raises her hand for another.

"At least we get better service now." Roz tilts her head as she notices her obvious avoidance of the question. Faiza looks back in her direction and matches her stare. She lets out a heavy sigh and changes the subject entirely, "Well, since we weren't invited to the Cintran banquet, where do you think you'd want to go?" Roz searches her thoughts for an answer.

"It really would have been nice to go. I mean I haven't worn a gown...ever. Mingle with the proper types and everything." Faiza awaits her answer. "I don't know. It's too many options for me. Meeting Queen Calanthe would have been ideal." Faiza gets a rush and bumps raise on her forearms. The feeling causes her to close her eyes and the face of the young girl that Geralt contended with in Blaviken comes to mind.

"Queen Calanthe of Cintra, she's just won her first battle at Hochebuz." Faiza regains herself.

"Another vision?" Faiza doesn't respond. "Well, where to, then?"

Faiza and Roz ride towards Hochebuz. She sees a woman walking away holding black armor in between her thumb and index finger in one hand and her nose with the other.

"I wonder if Jaskier is going to sing his famous songs at the banquet..." Roz says out loud to no one. "It would be amazing to perform together." Faiza looks towards Roz with a sympathetic look on her face. "I know. I know. Still would be an amazing evening, I think. Even if the court had to drink a bit more than usual to withstand it." She laughs at herself. They get closer to their new destination and a light breeze moves across Faiza's skin. Something is trying to get her attention, but she can't make out what. Faiza dismounts Amina first but suggests that Roz stays on her horse. She looks around to figure out what direction she should go. The area is quiet. Everything is still. Even the air.

"Do you hear that?" Faiza asks.

"Hear what?" Roz whips her head from left to right to see if she can see what she can't hear. Faiza looks around and still no movement, but she hears the determined steps of a creature.

"Do you see a rider?" Faiza asks. Roz tightens her eyes.

"I don't see or hear anything." Faiza pulls her sword from the side of Amina and prepares herself as she hears the sounds moving faster towards her. Faiza sees the edge of the town not far from where they wait.

"Roz! Go into the town!"

"But, I—"

"NOW!" Roz hurries off into the town as fast as she can ride. Faiza quickly consumes a potion and prepares herself for whatever is approaching. She takes her stance and faces the sound. She closes her eyes as she listens. "Fifty feet. Thirty. Ten..." She opens her eyes and sees a fierce stallion charging towards her. She doesn't move as she looks into its eyes. It comes to a sliding stop. The tip if its horn almost touching Faiza's throat.

"Anyone else would have fought or...run."

"A Unicorn?" Faiza says under her breath with surprise. It lifts its head and stares at her.

"Why didn't you?"

"I thought you..."

"Were all dead? Of course not. Why have you come, Faiza of Ofir?" Faiza's face goes emotionless.

"I don't know." The words still move through her mind until she realizes, "How did you kno—"

"We know much more than that. We also know that you not only felt the call, but you listened. And that is why you came." Faiza stares into its deep brown eyes, not knowing what to ask of it next. "You have much more to do than what you are currently seeking to fulfill."

"And what am I currently seeking?"

"Geralt of Rivia."

"I've already found him." The Unicorn turns to her. Its eyes grow stern.

"Do not think we do not know what you endeavor." Faiza's face grows angry and she looks towards the ground.

"I will have my way." The Unicorn turns from her.

"Your mother saved you for a cause much bigger than something as small as that." It begins to walk away. Faiza drops her shoulders and follows.

"What do you know of my mother?" It doesn't answer. "Is she still alive?"

"We know that she had a gift. A gift that was passed on to you." Faiza stops walking.

"Had?" She closes her eyes as she feels the mixture of sorrow and rage tormenting her from the inside.

"She did what she felt she should do."

"And what was that?" The Unicorn explains to her what happened to her mother while she was away.

"So, it was my fault."

"It was never your fault."

"He killed her because of her long absences away. He got suspicious and had her followed. She was only trying to do things to connect with me. Her daughter. His. daughter."

"She had to keep that part to herself. She placed you above his desires. She knew it would come at a price, but you were more important to her than that." Faiza sits silently as she listens to the entirety of the story. "Why would he want me dead?"

"You know why," the Unicorn answers, "And because it was found that your mother failed, he killed her." Faiza was sure that her mother would have a longer life than the usual. Her mother was able to dismiss the call of Aretuza in her younger years because of her beauty. She had a choice then. But, after Faiza's trials, she swore to her daughter that she would try her best to be accepted there again so that their lives could play out together for as long as they were able. Even with distance between them, they were best friends, as well as, mother and daughter.

"Is that why you've called me here? To talk about my past?"

"To guide you towards your future," the Unicorn responds. Faiza looks into its eyes once again. "You are on the right path. But deny your emotions. You will either want to leave too soon or stay too long. Your destiny requires balance."

"You just said my current path wasn't right."

"I said your focus is too small. On something that will not happen." Faiza's irritation is plucked.

"I WI—"

"That will not happen." The Unicorn turns and walks away in the direction from which it came. Faiza stands and watches as it disappears, and a soft wind blows through her hair. Faiza walks back to Amina and remembers that Roz is waiting for her. She rides slowly towards the tavern and tries to gain any semblance of understanding of the recent conversation.

"You spoke to a Unicorn!?" Roz yells in a whispered tone as to not alert any of the townspeople around them. Faiza rubs her forehead. "Well, what did it say, then?"

"It talked about my mother."

"Your mother? It guided you to it to talk about...your mother?" Faiza runs her fingers through her hair. Roz yells above the crowd,

"CAN WE GET TWO PINTS HERE, THEN?" She turns back towards Faiza. "I figured it would tell you why you've been having dreams of Geralt. Or something deeply fascinating like that." Roz checks Faiza's face. "Nothing?" Faiza shakes her head.

"Not really. All I'm to do is stay on the path we are on." Roz nods her head as she taps her bottom lip. "And I have no idea what that is...anymore."

"Anymo—"

"Two pints for ya!" A man slams their cups down on the wooden table.

"Hey! You might as well bring another one over since you went and spilled the half of this one!" Roz yells at the bartender. Faiza pulls a cup towards her and begins drinking, relieved that Roz's attention has been pulled away from the last question she almost asked.

"I wonder how Jaskier and Geralt are getting along at the banquet." Roz hiccups. Faiza smiles at her rosy-cheeked friend as she sways while looking around the space.

"You worried about him?"

"Him who? Geralt?" Roz waves her hand. "Heeeeeeeeee can take care of himseeeeeelf!" She pulls her cup towards her face and stares at the bottom. "I'm all out!"

"Jaskier."

"What about him?" She waves her cup above her head. Faiza spots the bartender coming towards the table and shakes her head at him.

"I wasn't inquiring about your worry for Geralt. I was asking if you were worried about Jaskier."

"Did you know his name means DANDELION!" She laughs. "His name is a floooower!" Faiza laughs at her friends' current disposition. It's been a long time since she's been comfortable enough to have more than one drink in a sitting.

Faiza feels a rush pulse through her veins. One that isn't being brought on by anything around her. The adrenaline is the kind she gets right before a fight. She looks to see if she can spot any danger surrounding them. Her heartbeat quickens in her chest. Her breathing gets deeper. She feels the need to take her stance. Like she is being challenged. She hears the words, "this knight has been cursed" echo in her thoughts. She has a quick flash of swords clashing.

"Uh oh! I know that look," Roz says through slurred words. "What is it now?" She tries her best to blink herself back into sobriety. "Do we need to go?" Faiza shakes her head. A man with the face of a hedgehog pierces her psyche.

"A hedgehog in knights' armor?" Faiza unintentionally says out loud.

"What?" Roz's eyes widen. "Sounds like we need to go to wherever that is." Faiza closes her eyes tight as she hears, "KILL THEM BOTH!"

The shouts of men fighting amongst themselves. She can see the anger on Queen Calanthe's face. The fear on Princess Pavetta's. This is the banquet. Faiza tries to relax as she watches the clash unfold in the middle of the banquet room. Men from all sides fighting against two. Geralt and...a cursed man.

"Should we go?!" Roz pushes for an answer. Maybe more for action. Faiza holds her hand up as she watches.

"He's not in any trouble."

"Who isn't?"

"Neither one of them." Roz slouches in her seat and stares at Faiza impatiently.

"But, you saaaaaid something about a hedgehog man!" Faiza opens one eye and glares at Roz. She throws her hands up. "Fine. Fine. Keep it all to yourself, then. Not like I don't want to see a human hedgehog or anything." She watches as Skellige steps in and the numbers grow.

Faiza is finally released from her tense state when the feud is discontinued. She tries to steady her breath. She finally opens her eyes and focuses on Roz, who took that time to get herself another pint.

"It's over now. Calanthe stepped in." Roz lifts an eyebrow as she drinks from her cup. She swallows loudly before she begins,

"So, what about this hedgehog, then?" Faiza chuckles lightly.

"Is that all you care about?"

"Of course! One doesn't see that every day!" Roz laughs.

"He's just as I said. He's a knight. There was a curse placed on him when he was young. That's the last I heard."

"Well, at least it cleared itself up, then?" Faiza nods.

"At least for now anyway."

"What does that mean?" Faiza shrugs. She can't explain it, but she doesn't feel as settled as she expects she should.

"I think we should get our rooms."

"That is actually a grand idea, Faiza of Ofir! I am feeling quite exhausted after a full day of...well...nothing, but still a full day!" Roz raises her cup in the air.

Faiza helps her friend get into her room safely.

"Thanks for being a friend. It's been years and you haven't treated me as one would expect," Roz mumbles.

"And how is that?"

"Oh, you know. You're a witcher. You aren't supposed to have feelings...or friends." Faiza doesn't say anything. "It's been years and I've gained so much more than I would have if I would have stayed in Acorn Bay. I wanted to be a bard. Study in Oxenfurt. We both knew that was a long shot." She chuckles at herself. "Even with the change, I've gotten something better...a true friend." Faiza looks over at Roz as she lays on her bed with her eyes closed. Talking through her thoughts. She opens the door and attempts to sneak out. "Faiza of Ofir!" She stops and turns to Roz who is still in her same position.

"Roz of Acorn Bay?" Roz laughs. "You're on the right path."

"What did yo—" Roz's mouth falls open and she begins to snore.

Faiza lightly closes the door behind her and heads towards her room. She can hear faint sounds of different voices speaking about honoring destiny. She tries to push the sound from her head as she enters her room. She lays on her back and stares up at the ceiling. Just as her eyes begin to close the small hairs on her arms raise and she hears a thundering,

"NOOOOOOOOOO!" Faiza feels a power unlike any she has ever encountered push through her body. A vision strikes of the members of court flying across the ballroom. Including Geralt. She pushes herself up and tries to decipher what she begins to hear next. Glass shattering. Lights flickering. Chaos forming around all but two. Faiza grabs her weapons and runs out to Amina.

She hears a continued chant repeating in Elder as she races towards the Cintran castle. The words making her feel heavy and powerless. She sees Geralt attempt to break the barrier that surrounds the pair and is forced back into a pillar. Another tries the same thing. She can feel the fear of those who witness it. Just as she crosses the castle walls, she dismounts Amina while she's still in motion, carrying a potion with her. A flash of Geralt breaking the barrier enters her mind and she slows her pace. She stands at the doors with guards staring her down with their hands on their weapons. Her hand on her dagger. Faiza stares at the door, breathing heavily, deciding if she should push her way through. She closes her eyes and doesn't hear or feel what she felt before. It's calm, but people are uneasy. Faiza raises her hands and backs away slowly.

Hours pass as Faiza awaits the conclusion of the ceremony. She hears the mixture of talks of destiny and vows. She feels the combination of remorse and fear. A woman that doesn't want to lose her daughter to someone outside of her approval and tried all that she could to break them. She felt the wounds in Calanthe's heart, but she knew she couldn't go against what was shown to her. So, she gave her up. Just as Faiza's mother had done her. The difference here. Her daughter wants to go. Faiza recalls what the Unicorn told her of her mother's death, and how she knew it would anger her father when she'd leave. He felt she had no reason to, but she did anyway.

She spots Geralt walking out of the castle. She comes down from her horse and approaches him. He looks her up and down.

"You're late. Again," he says to her with a slightly annoyed look on his face.

"What the hell are you wearing?" Faiza teases as she looks him up and down in return. Geralt rolls his eyes and begins to walk away. "A hedgehog and a child surprise? That's how you walk away from a Cintran banquet?" He stops walking but keeps his back to her.

"What do you know of it?" He looks over his shoulder towards her. "Better yet, why are you here?" She walks around to stand in front of him. To look him in the eye while she spoke,

"I felt the deceit. I heard the words. I Saw the struggle." Faiza's mind tries to grasp why she sounds more like the Unicorn than herself. Geralt stares at her, then continues to walk away.

"I've had enough confusion for one day."

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

4.7K 84 14
Living her whole life wandering villages making many, but insignificant encounters along the way, Karina finds that one encounter with a Witcher coul...
104K 3.4K 38
Geralt of Rivia was best known as the White Wolf. A Witcher. A killing machine. However like all, there is a time before. Like most young boys, they...
29.8K 965 31
A book of imagines and one shots dedicated to the Netflix show, The Witcher. I will predominately be writing for Geralt and Jaskier to begin with but...
461K 8.3K 35
A book of imagines dedicated to the Netflix show The Witcher and the characters within the show. I own the work published in this book.