The Witcher: Story of the Bla...

Per CRHarris

Based on the original Netflix series, The Witcher. Each chapter relates to its corresponding episode. Excerpt... Més

Introduction
Ep. 3
Ep. 4
Ep. 5
Ep. 6
Ep. 7
Ep. 8

Ep. 2

493 13 5
Per CRHarris

Prologue

She's riding in a deserted area. Looking for someone. Maybe something. No clue what, but someone won't stop talking. She hears a name. Jaskier? She's not the only one with a companion, it seems.

"SHIT!"

She's struck in the forehead by what looks like a multi-faceted bullet. She shouldn't be able to feel it, but she can. An annoying burning pain. Something with horns appears in the tall grass. The talkative one continues his yammering until he is struck by the same object.

"Leave me be!"

A heavy strike to her midsection sends her flying across the ground but she recovers quickly. A Sylvan? The creature rips hair from the hidden person's hair. It's white! She still can't control her actions. Their actions. They punch the creature in the face. She attempts to look past the Sylvan to find where she is. Where this person she's connected to is. There's an arrangement being made. The stranger looks behind him and... everything goes black.

TWO

Faiza sits at the edge of the riverbank, washing her face as she tries to recall the dreams she's been having. Things are becoming a little clearer, except the reason why she is connected to this person in the first place. The last place she can vaguely recall is the talkative man saying where they were. Golden palaces?

"Far back on the shelf, high up on the mountain, from whence it ca—"

"Can you please stop singing that song?"

"What? It's catchy don't ya think? And besides, I can't get it out of my head."

"I've done my best to keep it out of mine. Can't you sing any of your other songs?"

"Well, those are only for me to remember what I'm doin', not for entertainment." Roz laughs, gets silent, then lets out a light sigh. "Well, now I'll have to start over...you've stopped my thought." Faiza slowly shakes her head as Roz begins humming the song again. She walks over to her horse to check on her things, "From when the White Wolf fought..." Roz's first words catch Faiza's attention.

"Who is this song about again?" Roz rolls her eyes up and taps her bottom lip with her finger.

"Uhm. The witcher they call the "White Wolf"?"

"Right. What's his name?" Roz hums the words again.

"Geralt. Of...Rivia! Yeah." Faiza drops her head. "They should call you the Black Cat, don't ya think?" Roz rambles.

"And in this song, he's battling elves in a mountain..."

"That's right." Faiza lets out an exasperated sigh. "What's the matter? I mean, can't be too bad, this is what has gotten you sought out for more work as of late."

"I have to find him." Faiza mounts Amina. Roz jumps to her feet.

"What?!"

"Can't believe it's taken me this long to figure this out," Faiza says under her breath.

"Figure what out, then? What's happenin'?"

"I'll explain on the way." Roz quickly mounts her horse and they start towards the last place she can remember hearing. Dol Blathanna.

Out on a main road, during midday, Faiza and Roz discuss the purpose of their current pursuit.

"You've been havin' dreams about this man?" Faiza nods as Roz starts down her list of questions. "Maybe it's a witcher connection?" Faiza shakes her head.

"We aren't connected in that way. It's not a thing we can do."

"It's just a thing you can do?"

"It seems so. Partially."

"How's that?" Faiza remains quiet. Debating on how much she should reveal. "Never mind. I know what that lack of answer means. You've yet to steer us wrong anyway, so if we need to find him. Then find him we will." Faiza looks over at Roz with slight smile showing her gratitude. "Just that..."

"Just what?"

"Don't you think that going to Dol Blathanna might all be for not?"

"How do you mean?"

"Well, the song 'bout what he did there. Well, that was weeks ago."

"I know. But, it's the last place we know. Best to start there." Roz nods.

"Toss a coin to your witcher..." Faiza rolls her eyes and grits her teeth.

"Hey! Wait! Please!" A middle-aged woman runs towards Faiza and Roz as they ride past a small town. It looks grim. Even with the people moving about, it looks deserted. Faiza slows Amina and places her hand on her dagger as she watches her approach. When she reaches them, she doubles over, heaving heavily with both hands on her knees. Roz looks at Faiza with her eyebrows raised. "Oh, thank Lilit you stopped." She states through her panting. Roz snaps her attention back towards the woman, then back to Faiza. Faiza never takes her eyes off the woman.

"A little far west for that, don't you think?" The woman looks up at Faiza with surprise and places her fingertips over her mouth. Faiza rolls her eyes. "Never mind. What is it?"

"I saw the shine of your blade from just there." She turns and points back at a small farm lying on the edge of the town. Faiza looks down at her silver longsword that she has strapped on the side of Amina. Two-handed weapons aren't her favorite, but the silver's there when she needs it. "I thought you may have been a...well...I didn't expect to see—"

"What is it?" The woman looks at the medallion hanging from Faiza's chest.

"You're a witcher! I know for sure you can help us now!" Faiza grits her teeth and repeats herself,

"What. Is. It?" The woman lowers her head.

"Oh. I. I'm sorry. We have a monster. It wanders and howls. Only at night. No one goes outside of their home when darkness comes. Only the ones who don't believe." Roz leans back to peek at the small town.

"Do you know what it is?" Faiza asks. The woman clasps her hands and holds them close to her chest, shaking her head vigorously.

"No one knows. We only know that it is here. Every night." Faiza looks at the sun that is beginning its descent into the western sky. "We'll pay you! The whole town will pay you. I'm sure of it!" A long silence falls among the three. "Please?" Faiza slumps her shoulders and pulls Amina's reigns towards the town. Roz doesn't move.

"C'mon, Roz. Would rather be inside than out." Roz throws her head back and clicks her horse into movement. She sings under her breath,

"Not feelin' great about this ol' la-dy, somethin's tellin' me that she may be sha-dy. Heading to her house, on another quest, I'll stick around while Faiza does the rest...I guess."

"You can tie your horses up here. It doesn't seem to bother the animals much, but we still lock them away. You know? Just in case." The woman leads Faiza and Roz to her family's enclosed stables. Faiza grabs her bags. She catches the glint of her silver sword in her peripheral. She follows her gut and adds it to her items. They follow the woman into her home. Two young children are sitting in front of the fire playing with dolls that are stuffed with straw. They both look at Faiza and slowly back away.

"Don't worry, children, she's here to help us." Faiza lays her things on the small wooden table and begins to sort out what she may need. The young boy walks up behind her.

"What are those?"

"Potions."

"For what?"

"Me." The little boy doesn't break concentration from the table.

"What's that?"

"A dagger."

"What for?" Faiza slowly turns to the boy and bends down to look him in his eyes.

"Me." The little boy stares at her, looks her up and down, then back into her eyes.

"Your eyes are nice. What is that around your ne—"

"That's enough! Come now. Go play with your sister," the woman scolds the little boy.

"But. Granma!" She hurries him back to where he was.

"Can't you see she's got things to prepare for?" Faiza watches as the little girl never looks up from her doll.

The town has gone dark and eerily quiet. Faiza sits at the table, testing the weight of her dagger on her fingertips. Roz is sitting on the floor, playing with the children. The woman is pacing between the front door and her dinner.

"That's a pretty doll you have there," Roz says to the little girl, "May I see it?" The little girl pulls the doll to her chest and shakes her head.

"It's the last thing my momma gave her before she died," the little boy explains.

"Oh! I'm so sorry," Roz says to the children.

"It's okay. She's been dead for a long time. Her and daddy. That's why our Granma takes care of us now."

"I see," Roz says to him, "Well, it's nice to have family around that love you, isn't it? Family that wants to take care of you." Both children nod as they listen. "Always be grateful for that."

"We will," both children say.

A shriek carries on the wind and everyone in the house stops moving. Faiza looks at the woman.

"That's it! That's the monster!" The little girl runs and hides on Roz's lap. The little boy stands near Faiza when the shrill echoes through the town again. Faiza slowly stands from her chair and grabs a bottle of potion and drinks it down quickly. She lays the bottle on the table. The young boy slowly extends his hand out towards it.

"What is th—" Faiza swats his hand away.

"DON'T TOUCH THAT!" The little boy grabs his hands and sadness creeps across his face. Faiza takes his hand and kneels in front of him. "You can't play with the things that I have. They're too dangerous for you." The little boy nods slowly as he stares at the ground, but his frown remains. He slowly looks up at her and watches as the potion continues to take its effects on her. His eyes get wide. He looks at the empty bottle on the table, then back to Faiza, and nods his head with intent. The sound of the monster erupts again. This time closer than it was before. Faiza grabs another bottle, her silver sword, and heads towards the door. She cautions the woman to move everyone to the back of the house. Before she walks out of the door she turns to Roz.

"They have a Wraith. Find out what you can." Roz nods.

Faiza steps outside and pours the contents of the bottle onto her blade. She looks around to attempt to find an open area where she can lead it. The farm ground next to the woman's home seems to be the safest. The Wraith screams again as it moves through the town. Faiza makes as much noise as she can to catch its attention. She sprints to the middle of the field and screams as loud as she can. Less than a second later, she hears an ethereal sound emanate from behind her.

"Shit!" The Wraith appears behind her and strikes her in the back. Faiza is knocked forward but keeps her balance. She grips the handle of her sword with both hands and spins as fast as she can, slicing her blade through the air. Nothing there. She hears the same sound behind her again. This time she roll-dodges before the Wraith can touch her. It screams loudly as it hovers over the ground. Faiza squeezes the handle of her sword and slices through the air repeatedly. "I." Swing. "Hate." Swing. "This." Swing. "Sword." Her natural movements are slowed by its heft. The Wraith is able to dodge each stroke as it moves in and out of spectral form. Faiza moves back into her stance, contemplating her next move. She notices the Wraith's attention seems to be elsewhere. Faiza grips her sword and forward spins towards it. With a swift slash, she pierces the front of its body. The Wraith lets out an ear-splitting wail and dissipates, only to move to another location. She hears its cries again, far from where she's standing.

Faiza runs back over to the house and bangs on the door. She can hear the little kids screaming.

"Be quiet! It's me!" Roz swings open door and slams it shut behind Faiza just as quickly. "What did you find out?"

"Not much. But she knows somethin'," she says annoyed. Faiza looks towards the woman.

"What aren't you saying?" The woman puts her head down in shame. Faiza walks toward her and the children. "You have a Wraith. The only way I can get rid of it is if you open your trap!" The woman's bottom lip begins to tremble as she stares at the floor. "Roz grab the kids."

"Come 'ere, children. I'll teach you a game I used to play when I was younger." The children reluctantly walk over to Roz. The Wraith howls. It's moving closer again.

"You need to say something and say it now or Lilit help you, I'll walk out of here and leave it to terrorize your town for the rest of your lives." Tears begin to roll down the woman's face as she looks into Faiza's eyes.

"It's the children's mother. She died when they were just babies." Faiza stares at her, unwavering in her demeanor. "She wanted to leave my son. She wanted to take the babies with her. To another man! In another town! My son was a good man! A GOOD MAN!"

"I don't care about your son. I care about what's out there." The woman's tears turn into sobs as she continues her explanation,

"No one cared about my son! She said she was leaving him one night. He wouldn't let her go."

"He killed her?" The woman gets quiet as she tries to compose herself.

"And then she killed him!" Faiza rolls her eyes.

"Where's her grave?" She asks through gritted teeth. The woman doesn't make eye contact with her anymore.

"He buried her in that field over there. There's a large rock marking the grave. It's painted red." Faiza picks up another weapon, grabs her sword, and walks out of the house. Before making herself the target, she searches the field looking for the marking the woman described. The Wraith continues to move closer to where she is. Just as she finds the stone, she hears the ethereal noise coming from behind her. Faiza grips her sword, turns and cuts just as it appears. The Wraith shrieks again but doesn't leave as she hoped.

"Shit!"

The Wraith claws through the air as it moves towards her. Faiza attempts to dodge, but it catches her right shoulder. Faiza pushes a wave of energy towards it. Nothing happens. Faiza rolls her eyes when she realizes her mistake. 

"I hate you." The Wraith lets out a loud shrill and Faiza drops to one knee, placing her left palm on the ground. This time the Sign she uses does its job. The Wraith is slowed just enough for her to dig through the dirt with a nearby tool. The body of the children's mom lays there. Body as fresh as the day she died. Blood on her lips. The Wraith, albeit slowly, continues to move towards her. Faiza works faster as she sees it approaching from the corner of her eye. She uncovers the rest of the woman's body and plunges the aspen stake into her chest. The Wraith screams and moves further back into the circle of the Sign. Faiza stands to her feet, wondering how she will manage the next step. She looks towards the Wraith as she positions her silver blade above the woman's throat.

"I'm sorry." Faiza drives her sword down into her neck until she feels it hit the dirt beneath. She rocks her weapon from one side to the next, completely separating her head from her body. Faiza quickly moves to complete the job and places the head between the woman's legs. Faiza looks as the Wraith begins to flail. She holds her hand out over the woman's body and completes a Sign that sets the woman's body on fire. Faiza stands as she begins to see early signs of the next morning. She breathes heavily as she watches the Wraith's dust fall to the ground and turns to walk back into the house.

"Is it done?" The woman asks.

"It is." The woman rushes over to a corner of her house and pulls out a large sack of coins. She lays the bag on the table next to the rest of Faiza's things. Still never making contact.

"The monster's gone!?" Faiza looks down to find the little girl staring up at her with large brown eyes. Faiza nods her head. The little girl reaches out and gives her the doll she had been clinging to. "I think my mommy would want you to have this now. You saved us. She would want to say thank you." Faiza slowly reaches out and takes the doll from the little girl's hands. A sting hits her chest because the little girl has no idea. She hugs Faiza's leg tightly. "Roz told us what you do. Killing monsters and everything. Making people safe. I want to be just like you." Faiza kneels and looks the little girl in the eyes.

"Don't forget to be a child. Enjoy your life. But most importantly, always be just like you." The little girl smiles and hugs her tightly around her neck.

Faiza gathers her things. The woman still silent, sitting and staring at the table.

"You will have to tell these children about their parents one day. You do know that?" The woman looks up at Faiza with surprise. Her lips part with some sort of an excuse, but she pulls them back, lowers her head, and nods.

"Thank you," she says lightly. Faiza stares at her coldly then turns and walks away. The children follow Roz and Faiza out of the door as they load their horses.

"THE MONSTER IS DEAD! THE MONSTER IS DEEEEAD!" The little boy yells out into the town. People begin to open their doors slowly.

"What's that you say, boy!? The monster is dead!?"

"THE MONSTER IS DEAD!" The people of the small town begin cheering as Faiza and Roz ride back to the main road.

"I feel so bad for those children," Roz starts. Faiza doesn't respond. "Both parents gone, and for what?" Roz takes in a deep, solemn breath. "It's hard losing both of your parents, ya know?" Faiza slightly turns her head in Roz's direction and looks at her from the corner of her eye. "Mine were gone. Well, my mum was there, but not really, ya know? The only time she came out of her room was when she wanted to yell at me and my sisters for our father leavin'." Roz stares forward blankly as she recalls her life. "Yep. He left for market one morning and never came back. Everything went dark then."

"I'm sorry to hear that, Roz," Faiza says low. Roz smiles.

"It's alright now. I mean. I've gotten over it. I wanted to leave anyway. They just made it easier to do." They both stay quiet for a while, thinking about the conversation, and their own experiences. "So, we still lookin' for Geralt of Rivia, then?"

"We are."

"Great! But can we get some sleep soon?" Faiza laughs. Roz yawns before she begins her singing, "Toss a coin to your Witcher..."

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

462K 8.3K 35
A book of imagines dedicated to the Netflix show The Witcher and the characters within the show. I own the work published in this book.
11.4K 366 41
Jaskier is a wannabe Musician with a stalker problem and horrid mental issues, however, everything always runs deeper than just the surface when it c...
344K 10.5K 30
*Fan fiction inspired from the Netflix series The Witcher* Geralt of Rivia is a Witcher. For many years he has travelled the world, vanquishing mons...
53.8K 1.1K 22
The monster hunter, the Butcher of Blaviken, the White Wolf, Geralt of Rivia, The Witcher. They say Witchers don't have human emotions but that chan...