The Flames of Medicine

By roseonthefloor19

"I've never had a home, everything that I touch and everyone I love ends up dead or leaving me because I don'... More

1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38

2

2K 42 32
By roseonthefloor19

Okay y'all - I've done my extended research on both medical and firefighters by watching some scenes from Greys Anatomy, Chicago Fire, 9-1-1, Scrubs and such, So I'm going to try to make it as good as I can! 

Calum

It was a generally easy day in the hospital. Ashton, Michael and I both had ER duty today and while there's always some kind of crazy case, there really was just regular check ups today and nothing life threatening. 

I knocked on the door letting the patient know I was walking in "alright Ms. Carmedi, tests came back negative and normal so we're going to proceed with Acetaminophen every 4 hours until your pain subsides." 

"that's good news right?" 

"yup! no need to keep you overnight. It's just a bad case of a sore throat with cold symptoms. You came in on time before it turned into something bigger so the anti-inflammatory shot we gave you will work to fight it off and the acetaminophen for pain." I finished saying as I finished writing in her chart. 

"okay, thank you so much Dr. Hood!"

"Just doing the job. I'll go ahead and write up your note for a check up next week to see how your throat and symptoms are healing up. You can check what date works for you up in front in the lobby." I stood up and shook her hand giving her her medicine prescription. I opened the door for her. 

"thank you so much Dr. Hood. I'll see you next week" She said as she walked to the front lobby. 

The exit doors closed and I walked to the Doctors ER Lobby. It was only Ashton sitting down in the desk reading some file.  

"Hey Ash"

"Hey, how'd it go?" he said as he put the file down.

"usual. Cold with horrible soar throat" I said as I put my ipad down and set the files in correct bin. I sat down next to him and just rested my head against the wall. 

"we only have 12 more hours to go" he laughed as he saw my tired face.

"I'm literally tired of just sitting here."

"YOU'RE tired? mate at least you've had like 3 patients. I've had 1 trauma call in the last 12 hours.  Which in retrospect is a good thing, but I mean, I gotta keep busy somehow" he finished off as he put his file away.

I laughed at his frustration of me having at least 3 patients unlike him.

"Ash, change you're pager to general instead of trauma so you can help with whatever comes and you can do something" 

I knew the answer to this so I did my 'I'm kidding' face when he turned to look at me. We all had a role in the ER. Together with Michael we were ER TEAM #2 and we have to rotate every shift or every couple hours depending on how heavy the patient turn over was but since this was a calm shift it would be switching next shift so he was stuck in Trauma for the remainder of our 24 shift. 

"Cal I swear..." he said as he giggled and threw me a water bottle while he got one for himself and sat down in his chair again.

"Hey look at it this way, we're switching next shift. I get to be as frustrated as you, and you get to feel prideful for curing 3 people from colds and dehydration. Speaking of switching, where's Michael anyway? Why isn't he here moping around with you" 

"Miraculously got called for a consult for Doctor Bate. He should be back soon though, he's been gone for an hour." He started to swing around in his chair.

The ER doors opened and Michael walked in staring at his phone. 

"Hey Mikey" I said as he entered and sat down next to us.

"Check your phones" he said desperately as he kept staring at his phone

"Why? what's wrong?" I said as I saw I had 4 unread texts from Michael in our group chat. 

"What's up?" Ashton said as he reached for his as well. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael: aww look at our boy Hemmings 

putting this house fire out with is little hose :')

 *link attached* 

Michael: wait never mind, actually be careful I 

hadn't read the situation 

Michael: HOLY SHIT *Link attached*

Michael: we're about to get busy...

I pressed the link and was met with an article about LAFD and LAPD working together in a drug case. LAPD were searching an apartment complex when the suspects opened fire and sparked a fire in their basement which happened to be a meth lab. They didn't have major quantities of meth as they had just started it but it was enough to cause an explosion and set the full complex on fire trapping people inside. LAFD was on scene trying to get people out before they had to call a search and retrieve. I could see Luke's firetruck parked in front of the complex with fire men running in and walking out carrying victims. The scene was horrendous, people were screaming and crying looking for their loved ones or letting the firemen know where the family member was last seen or if they had to notify the family members to check the Black tagged tent; where they set the people that were found dead and had yet to be identified. It was heartbreaking to see the desperation. 

"Fucking hell who has the heart to cause something like that." Ashton said watching the same scene I was watching unfold. 

"They have no heart" Michael replied, eyes still glued on his phone. "I tried listening on the radio app Luke told us but it needs to be recalibrated to his channel and I forgot it. So I wasn't able to listen in" he said as he finally looked up. 

"I got it on my phone but I haven't updated it yet. It might still work." Ash said as he opened the app and pressed channel 10. We immediately heard the team communicating back and forth real time to the video feed. We huddled the chairs together and heard from Ashtons phone the radio feed and watched different feeds from Michaels and I's phone screens. 

"Do y'all see Luke anywhere?" Ashton asked

"yeah, he ran out carrying a man but ran in again after setting him down  to paramedics. Hasn't come out yet" 

After Michael said that we heard the too familiar voice through Ashtons phone.

(*T = TEAMMATE* *FC = FIRE CHIEF* *FIREFIGHTERS ALWAYS REFER TO EACH OTHER BY LAST NAME DURING CALLS AND FOR RADIO COMMUNICATIONS*) 

HEMMINGS: 81 FIRE IS STARTING TO ROLL.  SEARCH AND RESCUE  INITIATE LAST SWEEP.

FC: HEMMINGS EAST SIDE IS CLEAR 

HEMMINGS: COPY. COMING UP ON FOURTH FLOOR. DEBRIS IS STARTING FALL. FLOORS ARE UNSTABLE. HEAD OUT WITH LAST VICTIMS

T1: COPY

FC: 5 MINUTES HEMMINGS I'M CALLING IT. 5 MINUTES.  

HEMMINGS: COPY CHIEF. CASTLE SWEEP SOUTH SIDE, HERNANDEZ WITH ME ON WEST SIDE. ARCHER SWEEP NORTH SIDE. EVERYONE WORK YOUR WAY DOWN. NO RE ENTRANCE. TRUCK 81 GET READY TO HOSE  DOWN WITH ENGINE. 

T2: COPY - SWEEPING NORTH SIDE 

HERNANDEZ: COPY -  HEADING UP TO YOU LIEUTENANT 

We could hear the breathlessness of the everyone talking through the radio.We watched through the phone as the firefighters went in with their equipment and did as ordered. While the last 3 firefighters went in to join Luke, we saw the rest of the team evacuate the building with their last burn victims. 

HERNANDEZ: CHIEF COMING DOWN WITH A VICTIM. BURN INJURIES AND NOT RESPONSIVE. 

FC: COPY PARAMEDICS STANDING BY NORTH OF ENTRANCE. 

ARCHER: NORTH SIDE CLEAR. COMING OUT. 

CASTLE: SOUTH SIDE CLEAR NO VICTIMS. COMING OUT. 

FC: HEMMINGS STATUS 

*RADIO STATIC* 

FC: HEMMINGS SMOKE IS BLACK. FIRE IS ROLLING EVACUATE THE BUILDING NOW.

We stared at the phone screen as the other 3 evacuated the building but there was no sight of Luke evacuating. We stared desperately trying to catch a glimpse of Luke coming out but there was no sign of anyone exiting anymore. We stayed quiet but only because we were each coming to the realization that he was still inside alone and not answering his radio -- his only lifeline while inside the burning building.

FC: HEMMINGS REPORT

*RADIO STATIC* 

FC: HEMMINGS -- 

HEMMINGS: CHIEF -- I HAVE A VICTIM HERE TRAPPED INSIDE AN APARTMENT.   DOORWAY IS CLOSED AND BLOCKED BUT VICTIM IS ALIVE AND YELLING. 

FC: HEMMINGS FIRE IS ROLLING. EVACUATE NOW! 

HEMMINGS: CHIEF - 

FC: NOW! HEMMINGS!

We heard something break down and the yelling increase through the radio. We then heard a huge breaking sound and saw that the roof was caving in and started to collapse in itself. As the roof came down we saw a firefighter walking out carrying a young unconscious girl. 

We collectively let out a deep breathe none of us knew we were holding. The ambulance for the girl was parked next to the person that was recording so we saw how burned she was. Luke placed her on the gurney as the paramedic started to check for respirations. Luke quickly kneeled to get his oxygen gear off and have more movement. 

*P = PARAMEDIC* 

P: SHALLOW BREATHING, DISRUPTED SINUS SOUNDS 

HEMMINGS: (examining throat for airway access)  AIRWAY HAS SOME OBSTRUCTION AND BURN BUT NOT TOO SEVERE. HAND ME A 60MM ORAL 

P: 60MM ORAL TUBING (hands it too him) 

HEMMINGS: (intubating victim) OKAY I'M IN CHECK FOR LUNG SOUNDS 

P: (placing stethoscope around torso to check breathing pattern) YOU'RE IN. 

HEMMINGS: (handing breathing bag to P2, continues checking victim out) NEURO TRAUMA - POSSIBLE SUBDURAL HEMATOMA. NO VASCULAR INJURY VISIBLE. PRESSURE IS HIGH. ESTIMATED 60% BURNED. BLOOD COUNT STILL WITHIN NORMAL RANGE. OXYGEN 70%. 

P: OKAY SHE'S STABLE ENOUGH FOR TRANSPORT. (she said as she finished gauzing some cuts and covering some burns) 

HEMMINGS: TAKE HER TO KING MEDICAL GEN. ASK FOR IRWIN AND ER TEAM 2. (he said as he helped load her into the ambulance and closing the doors. He signaled paramedic that they were set to go. He walked back to the Chief as the ambulance drove away) 

As he said that and we watched the ambulance drive away, we watched him walk back to his chief. 

The fire was starting to die down already and be under control as the firefighters were fighting the blaze with 100% attack force. 

-------------------------------

Luke 

"Chief..." 

"Hemmings. Nice work. Cutting it too close for comfort. Next time I give you an order, I expect it to be done when I say it not at your time." 

"Copy that Chief. But there's something wrong about the fire and the victim."

" What is it?" 

"Chief, the girl was trapped in a cage, a literal cage, and an older lady, I'm assuming the mother  laid next to the cage with a gunshot wound to the head and multiple lacerations to the body... Chief this fire was intentional and I don't think I was supposed to find that girl and get her out alive..." 

-----------------------------

And boy was Luke right. In the opposite side of the street, there was a black car parked. 

"Boss, looks like she made it out alive...No that bitch is dead. I made sure of it. The daughter was saved by a noisy fireman. She's headed to the hosp---HOW THE FUCK WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW SHE WAS GOING TO BE FOUND... LIST-- ... FINE! I'll finish the job." the man hung up and threw his phone to the seat next to him. He reached in to his jacket pocket and pulled out his gun. Making sure he had enough bullets in the cartridge, he started his engine and drove off in the direction of the hospital she was headed  to. 

"Just hold on baby... I'll kill anyone that tries to help you. Don't you worry..." 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks guys! Hope you like this chapter. Keep messaging me ideas or questions about the story! Leave a like or a comment please! See you soon :D    

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.7K 268 34
Story cover by @ewjimin on twitter.
74 0 20
No description. Read to find out...
32.1K 541 26
"I promise that we are going to do everything we can for you," "I wish you guys were always my parents, you're a lot nicer than my parents," "Well we...
1.4K 80 29
"Feel the pain, don't show it. Don't let anybody know that it's there." -Luke.