FLIGHTLESS BIRD // Detroit Be...

By midnightXcross

Detroit: Become Human AU, where it is instead set in a high school. --- He flew past you. That was the best... More

Chapter 1: Falling Swan
Chapter 2: Finding Your Feet
Chapter 3: Secrets and Truths
Chapter 4: The Detective
Chapter 5: It's A Date
Chapter 6: Cupid Kara
Chapter 7: Fairy Godmother
Chapter 8: The Party
Chapter 9: Mystery
Chapter 10: Class Rep
Chapter 11: Friends and Strangers
Chapter 12: Dancing Through The Past
Chapter 13: Searching For An Answer
Chapter 14: Trouble
Chapter 15: Cain
Chapter 16: Fallen
Chapter 18: Jericho
Chapter 19: Alarm
Chapter 20: Missing
Chapter 21: Conflicting Feelings
Chapter 22: Trapped
Author Note
Chapter 23: Mission
Chapter 24: Doubt
Chapter 25: Reasons To Smile
Chapter 26: Destruction
Chapter 27: Darkness
Chapter 28: Burning Feelings
Chapter 29: Water's Edge
Chapter 30: Pretenses
Chapter 31: Game Of Life
Chapter 32: Reason

Chapter 17: Matched

658 33 49
By midnightXcross

Artwork not by me (username on bottom right of artwork)

Once you had finally recovered enough to return to school, you had expected it to turn out like any other regular day. And like every other time you assumed something, you were very wrong.

The moment you  set foot in your classroom, heads turned towards you, and people practically leapt out of their seats. Your classmates approached you, looking at your few bandaged limbs, and asking you worried questions. You were so startled by the crowd, that you could barely get a word in.

What startled you more however, was when the questions shifted in a different direction.

"I can't believe you took down Gavin Reed!!" A girl squeaked.

"W-What?!" You stuttered, but the people just kept talking.

"Not just Gavin Reed," A boy said excitedly, "But Leo, and the Traci's!!"

"I-I umm--"

"Can I have your autograph?!"

"Autograph sessions are later!!" A female voice called above the crowd, and moments later, gentle but firm arms pulled you from the group. You sighed in relief when you saw that it was Kara. "Are you okay [F/N]?"

"I-I think so..." You murmured, still trying to catch your breath. "W-What's all this about?" You took in Kara's face, then noticed Connor and Markus standing beside her.

"You've become a bit of a celebrity..." Connor replied with a sheepish grin.

"Everyone's been talking about you," Markus continued, "And about how you took down the biggest bullies in the school."

"B-But I didn't...." You started to say, but you were interrupted by a voice at the classroom door. The crowd began to part as a man came inside: but it was not Mr Anderson as you were expecting.

"ALL OF YOU, TO YOUR SEATS IMMEDIATELY!" The unknown man shouted, and at the sound of his voice, students scrambled back to their chairs. "I return, only to find that your previous monkey of a teacher has turned the classroom into a zoo." You followed the other students, and quickly moved back to your desk. You glanced at Kara in the desk to your right nervously, and she gave you a timid smile.

The man had brown hair, with wrinkle lines around his mouth, as if he has never smiled in his entire life. He strode towards the desk that had once belonged to Mr Anderson, and slammed a file onto it, causing the students in the room to flinch.

"I leave for a single term... and already the average grade level has gone down by 10%. What is the meaning of this?" His eyes swiveled around the room, but no one answered. "Well?"

"Maybe because for the first time, we weren't slaves," Josh griped, and a few students snickered.

"See me after class," The man growled, and Josh made an annoyed noise in the back of his throat. Everyone went very silent.

"Well, let's start from the beginning shall we?" He continued, then turned towards the board, beginning to write in chalk. Moments later, he turned back to face the class, with a name written on the board. "My name is Richard Perkins. You will only address me as Mr Perkins."

"Richard suits him," One student said quietly, "Because he really is a--"

"WHO SAID THAT?" Everyone went deathly silent. "I will not tolerate disrespect in this class. I will personally ensure that those who disrespect me get the worst possible experience in this classroom. And trust me, you do not want to cross me."

After that jarring introduction, Mr Perkin's called Markus to the front of the classroom, and assigned everyone else to writing a sudden and unexpected essay. When Mr Perkin's was distracted, you glanced towards Connor, who was seated slightly behind you, near the window. When you made eye contact, he gave you a slight smile.

It seemed to take forever for that hellish class to be over, and the moment it was, students scrambled from the room. It seemed that no one liked Mr Perkin's, and certainly no one wanted to be the last one out. With everyone else, you darted towards the door, and soon found yourself once again accosted by the other students. It seemed everyone wanted to walk with you, eat with you, and talk to you. You squirmed, desperately trying to fight the sudden popularity you had.

Moments later, you felt a hand under each of your arms, and you were pulled backwards into a strong chest. You looked up to see Markus, one hand on your shoulder. Connor was standing beside you to your right, his hand gently on your arm.

"Sorry, but [F/N] has somewhere she needs to be," Connor said, and with those words, they whisked you away up the corridor. When you were finally away from the crazed students, they slowed their pace, but still kept their hands holding yours. Your left hand was in Markus's, your right, in Connor's. You blushed at the sudden situation you had found yourself in.

"Are you alright?" Markus asked.

"I-I'm fine," You murmured, "But what was that about? Why am I suddenly so... so popular?"

"Well... Cain didn't really fess up to being the one who rescued you," Connor said quietly, and you winced. You didn't think Connor knew about that. "Cain didn't want to either. He doesn't want any unnecessary popularity."

"With no one taking the credit for rescuing you, a lot of rumors started," Markus interjected, "I tried to quell the rumors, but you know how teenagers are. Suddenly, everyone was telling stories about how you took down the bullies. You've become a bit of a school legend."

"Oh no..." You groaned, pulled your hands away from theirs to cover your face. Connor reached forward and pulled your hand away. "Don't worry... we'll keep those people away from you. Well... we'll try to, at least."

You looked from Connor to Markus, trying to read their faces. You glanced around, and realized that the corridor was empty, save for your small group.

"You two seem to be getting along..." You muttered, and Connor and Markus exchanged a look. "What's this about?"

"Nothing!" Markus insisted. "We're just determined to protect you."

"Besides, it's not like we didn't get along before," Connor said.

"Before you could barely stand to be around each other," You insisted, and the boys looked a little embarrassed at being caught out. But still, they refused to tell you why they were acting so strange.

They continued to guard you up the hallway towards the cafeteria, but even though it was good they were no longer growling at each other, it still felt strange. It felt uncomfortable to see them no longer arguing at every possible moment.

Not to mention, even though they were beside you, they were acting like bodyguards. Keeping the other students away, shielding you from uncomfortable glances, leading you through the corridor... you could not feel comfortable beside them when they were treating you like some kind of precious possession.

When you reached another quieter corridor, you pulled away from them.

"What's wrong [F/N]?" Connor asked.

"You two are acting so strange!" You blurted out, backing away from them slightly. "Just... Just treat me like you usually do!"

They glanced at each other, as you continued. "I did not take down those bullies, and my leg and arms are not hurting as much anymore. You don't have to protect me so much... I can take care of myself."

"But what if we want to protect you?" Markus asked, after a long moment.

"Look... I appreciate that you guys want to protect me so much, but I'm okay now. I just want you to talk to me like you usually do..." You smiled slightly, trying to reassure them. "I am really glad that you're both getting along more, but... could you not act so strange?"

They were both quiet for a moment, looking away awkwardly, before Connor spoke up.

"I want to protect you from Cain..."

"From Cain?" You replied, incredulously.

"I-I think he set you up to try and get close to you when you were alone..." Connor blurted out, then covered his mouth slightly.

"Y-You think Cain set me up?!" You replied, and Connor nodded slightly. Suddenly, your desperation turned to frustration. "Connor, Cain was the one who rescued me. If Cain had not been there, what do you think would have happened to me?"

"We're not saying Cain is a bad person," Markus said quickly, and Connor gave him a look, "But... you shouldn't blindly trust anyone. We don't want you to get into a bad situation with him. Or anyone else for that matter."

"Well, for the first part, I didn't have a choice!" You snapped, "I don't trust Cain, but I certainly did not want to stay around with Gavin and the rest of that messed up group." You paused, taking in a breath, trying to calm yourself. "I don't think Cain is as bad as you make him out to be. Sure, he's intimidating, but I think a lot of that comes from his mom."

"You met her?" Connor asked, and suddenly his whole presence turned very cold. You shivered at the sudden change of his character. "You met Amanda Stern?"

"S-She was walking past the hospital room when I... when I..."

"[F/N]..." Connor said desperately, "Please, don't get into a situation like that again. Just don't."

"But I--"

"I don't care if you think I'm controlling, or possessive. I cannot let what happened to me happen to you. Please trust me."

"I-I'm sorry..." You murmured, backing away. "I don't know what you're talking about Connor. You are both acting so strange..." You looked at them both again, before shaking your head. "I need some time alone for a while. I need to think over this."

"We'll come with you," Markus said, but you pushed him away.

"Alone... please Markus." You looked at him desperately. "I'm sorry..." Then you turned, and began darting up the hallway. You felt awful for pushing them away like that, but you needed room to think. Cain had rescued you... Connor and Markus had joined forces... and they all wanted to protect you? Something was going on, something that no one wanted you to know about. But you couldn't figure out what it was.

You went outside, and took in a breath of fresh air. It was easier to think when you were outside, away from the stifling corridors of the school.

You walked slowly towards the gardens, enjoying the peacefulness of the quiet school grounds. You wondered if Rupert would be feeding the birds now. You wondered if he would let you feed some too. Right now, you needed Rupert's quiet demeanor.

But as you approached the neat school gardens, you were surprised to see someone else there, in Rupert's place. You ducked behind a tree before you could be seen. You peered out, and stifled a gasp when you realized it was none other than Cain... sitting beside Chloe.

"Look, I'm trying to do the best I can..." Cain murmured, "I know it's not what you want, but it's what is best."

"You know I can't keep doing this Cain," Chloe said in her soft and pleasant voice. "I can't keep being what you want."

"It's only for a little bit longer, and then everything will be ready," Cain insisted, "Please accept."

Chloe paused for a long moment, looking down at her hands clasped in her lap. "It's not my decision to make... you know that. I'll have to speak to my father."

"You have more control over this than you think," Cain continued, "I want your compliance."

"It's not what I want, but it's the only option I have," Chloe replied. "So... I have no choice but to comply."

Cain looked towards her for a long moment, but did not make eye contact. Then he sighed, rising from his place on the bench. "I'll tell my mother you said that then. And I'll figure out a way we can make this work."

"Thank you Cain."

Cain nodded, before swiftly walking away, a document held firm under his arm. Why on earth was Cain, a college student, meeting up with Chloe?

You moved to sneak away in the opposite direction, but stopped cold when you heard a soft voice.

"You don't have to leave."

You froze, turning slowly back to Chloe. She gave you a slight smile, and beckoned for you to come closer. You approached on shaky legs, and moved to sit where Cain had just been.

"I-I wasn't trying to... I mean..." You stumbled over your words, trying to find the right ones. Chloe laughed.

"It's okay. You don't have to explain." She waved a hand towards the gardens. "It's quite lovely here, isn't it?"

"Yes, I really like it here," You replied, relieved that Chloe wasn't angry.

"You're probably wondering why Cain was here, talking to me..." Chloe answered your thoughts, and you nodded. "It's not a secret, just something no one ever asks." She paused, gathering her thoughts, before looking at you.

"Cain is... Cain is someone who I've known for a long time. We're to be married... about a month from now."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 56.2K 105
"Miss (L/n), you and Anderson have been assigned with an android from Cyberlife for these cases." "Really? Well...alright. When will he or she arrive...
263K 9.8K 53
You've always had an interest in androids ever since you were a child. The very thought that technology could create an intelligent life-form that lo...
1.7K 19 10
You're a party girl. Plain and simple. Your life is pretty good to you. You go out almost every night that you're available and when you don't you st...
82K 2.4K 38
❝You must be Hank's daughter.❞ ❝Indeed I am. And you must be that detective I've heard so much about.❞ All Time Highest Rankings (Not date related):...