Friends Don't

By cocoalatte7

Ellie Knight has her whole future planned out for her, but instead, she chooses to go away to college to get... More

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty

Chapter Thirty-Two

20.6K 510 60
By cocoalatte7

It was, finally, job hunting and move in day. I didn't get much sleep before waking up at eight in the morning, but what little sleep I got would have to do.

We spent the first bit of the morning at the dorms packing up what Grayson had, which honestly wasn't much. I wasn't sure how he even survived with what little he had.

After finishing with his stuff, we went and picked up my stuff from Lana's dorm, and then left to go job hunting while the guys brought the stuff over to the apartment. We left the guys to stay and wait for the delivery of a new mattress. No way was I going to sleep on the mattress that was already on the bed, because ew. We had also ordered a lot of necessary things for the apartment, such as kitchen items and things like that, so he would be there when those packages arrived.

Lana and I were headed around town trying to find places to stop at and see if they were hiring. Surprisingly a lot of places were not hiring, which made this whole ordeal a lot harder. We did notice the gym right by the college was hiring, but I knew that wasn't the place for me. Even if I was in need of a job that wasn't it. I knew nothing about fitness and pretty sure anyone I helped would walk out looking worse than when they came in.

After awhile of driving and walking around we noticed a now hiring sign in the window of a clothing store. I'm not exactly into fashion. I mean, I like clothes, but if someone were to ask me to style them for some special occasion or something, I might not do too well at that. I decided to give it a try and apply anyway.

It didn't take long from walking into the door and asking for an application that they said I was hired, not even having to fill out an application. I thought that was a little weird, but considering only one person was working I assumed she was in desperate need of some help.

Of course, it wouldn't have been my first choice in a job, but after having a talk with the owner, who I knew now was Susan, I realized I would only be stocking and checking people out at the register, so it didn't seem like too hard of a job, or something I couldn't handle.

"I can't believe you found a job so fast," Lana told me as she sipped on her coffee in the passenger seat.

I stole a quick glance, brows raised, at her just before she blurted, "not that I doubted you could or anything, it's just I didn't think it would be that quick. I mean, no application or anything."

"I understood what you meant, Lana," I said as I kept my eyes on the road in front of us.

We were headed back to the apartment after making a stop at the store to pick up some groceries. We were taking our time hoping that by the time we arrived everything would be done, including the packages now empty.

No such luck though. When we walked into the apartment, I almost tripped over one of the boxes setting in front of the door. "You could have at least moved it out of the way," I told Grayson and Derek who were sitting on the couch playing some game.

They both glanced over at us before putting their attention back on the screen and not uttering a word, at least not to us. They were bad mouthing each other, but I guess that's just how videogaming goes.

I put my purse and half empty coffee on the island and leaned against it taking in the apartment. It felt nice to have a place to call my own, even though as of this moment you could really call it Grayson's. He was the one paying most of the rent.

That would all change though, when I started my new job. I still wouldn't be able to afford much since I needed to pay for college, as well but Grayson was understanding of my situation and didn't seem to mind.

"That's so much stuff," Lana said, and I turned to follow her gaze as my eyes landed on all the packages that arrived in the mail.

"I know, I'll be up all night doing that." I knew how tiring it would be but I was excited to get everything out of the boxes and put things up. Once everything was in its place it would really feel like home.

"I think you cheat, honestly," Derek's voice filled the room and Lana and I turned our attention to the guys.

"How do I cheat?" Grayson asked as he laid the controller in his hand down.

Derek stood up. "Well, how do you win every time?"

"Maybe because I'm better at it than you?"

Derek scoffed. "Yeah, okay." He made his way into the kitchen, wrapping his arms around Lana. "Are you ready to go?"

She nodded. "Yeah." She looked at me and said, "Guess I'll get Mr. Grumpy out of here."

"I'm not grumpy," he said to her, and honestly, he tried his hardest to not sound grumpy.

"Just a sore loser," Grayson said.

"I'm not that, either," Derek told him, his voice blatantly grumpy.

After they left and it was just Grayson and me in the apartment it felt weird. Not like a bad weird. There were times Grayson and I stayed alone together, but this was different. Before it was just a few days, but now it was just us two living together for the foreseeable future.

"Well, I guess it's time to start unpacking everything," I said as I picked up a box and set it on the counter, before finding one of my boxes and digging through it for a pair of scissors.

Inside the box were some pots and pans and I put them in the dishwasher before opening more boxes to reveal even more kitchen supplies. When I started the dishwasher, I decided to go ahead and begin getting my room set up, knowing the dishes were going to be awhile.

Grayson was just down the hall in his own room, supposedly getting his room in order, as well, but from the sound of it, it was more like he was just opening and closing drawers quickly. There was no way any of his things were in order.

I was in the process of hanging clothes in my closet when I heard him say, "all done," and looked over my shoulder to see him standing in my doorway.

"How can you possibly be done?"

"Maybe because I'm not as slow as you."

"Or maybe your room will end up being less organized," I said as I hung the last of my clothing and shut the door.

He laid back on my bed, propping himself up on his elbows. "Well, at least I won't be spending all night putting my things away."

I eyed him as I crossed the room. He looked comfortable there on my new mattress that even I hadn't tried out, yet. "Is the mattress comfy?" I asked him.

"Oh, yeah. You'll like it." He leaned back and his head hit the bed. "Very comfy. I might just take it for myself."

"Not a chance, buddy."

"You're not very good at sharing."

I was placing some books on a shelf, but turned around at his words, noticing his eyes were closed. "How is it sharing if you take it?"

He shrugged. "It can stay here," he said and I was about to agree with him until he said, "we can just sleep together."

I shook my head even though he couldn't see. "I don't think so."

I walked over to him and swatted his leg causing his eyes to shoot open and him turn to me. "Get up. I need to make the bed."

He looked around the room. "Out of all the things you have left to do you choose to make the bed?"

"Yes. Now get up."

"Fine." He stood up and headed for the door. "I'll just go find something to do."

"Okay," I told him as I began to put the fitted sheet on.

As I finished making the bed and putting away the last of my things I thought about my new job. I started tomorrow, which was sooner than I thought, but I guess that's just how it goes sometimes. I hoped I would be good, or at least decent, at the job. I really couldn't stand to lose this job. I needed the money.

On top of this new job, I was going to start tutoring some college kids, and that was going to be even more money to help with college. Turns out some parents will pay enough to make sure their kids don't fail, and if they were willing to pay then I was willing to help.

It was around midnight when I was able to get into bed, deciding to finish unpacking the rest of the kitchen items tomorrow. I had to wait to take a shower since Grayson beat me to it, and he took forever. Honestly, I have no idea what he was doing in there, and I probably didn't want to know. By the time it was my turn, I only had about ten minutes before the water started to get cold. After my shower I peeked in to Grayson's room to tell him goodnight and he looked rather content, while I went to bed annoyed.

***

Thank you so much to everyone who has been reading! It means a lot!

Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoyed the chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 56.3K 54
[COMPLETE] Soz this may be cringe, it was written very long ago A seemingly ordinary, working college girl meets a cool, undeniably sexy boy with m...
111K 2.4K 33
An anxious homebody gets roped into her university quarterback's scheme to get back at both of their exes. **** Highest rating: #7 in books | 7 - 1...
157K 9K 61
A girl, haunted by her past was living in solitude. A man, running from his own demons. When their paths collide, the girl wants to run, but the guy...
1.3M 37.2K 50
Sometimes, the guy falls in love first. Deeply. In kindergarten, she gave him a flower. She forgot her kindness, but he would always remember. No ma...