Reject (mxm)

By isabella_kai

Paranormal Romance (Werewolf) You know that movie Jerry Maguire? It's about this sports agent who got fired f... More

Quick Note
Chapter One: Ruari
Chapter Two: Ruari
Chapter Three: Ciaran
Chapter Four: Ruari
Chapter Five: Ciaran
Chapter Six: Ruari
Chapter Seven: Ciaran
Chapter Eight: Ciaran
Chapter Nine: Ruari
Chapter Ten: Ciaran
Chapter Eleven: Ruari
Chapter Twelve: Ciaran
Chapter Thirteen: Ruari
Chapter Fourteen: Ciaran
Chapter Fifteen: Ruari
Chapter Sixteen: Ciaran
Chapter Seventeen: Ruari
Chapter Eighteen: Ruari
Chapter Nineteen: Ciaran
Chapter Twenty: Ciaran
Chapter Twenty-One: Ruari
Chapter Twenty-Two: Ruari
Chapter Twenty-Three: Ciaran
Chapter Twenty-Four: Ruari
Chapter Twenty-Five: Ciaran
Chapter Twenty-Six: Ruari
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Ruari
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Ciaran
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Ciaran
Chapter Thirty: Ruari
Chapter Thirty-One: Ciaran
Chapter Thirty-Two: Ruari
Chapter Thirty-Three: Ruari
Chapter Thirty-Five: Ruari
Chapter Thirty-Six: Ciaran
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Ruari
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Ciaran
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Ruari
Chapter Forty: Ruari
Chapter Forty-One: Ciaran
Chapter Forty-Two: Ciaran
Chapter Forty-Three: Ruari
Chapter Forty-Four: Ruari
Chapter Forty-Five: Ciaran
EPILOGUE
New Story: ReBOUND
Side Story: Marked (Kevan x Lorcan)

Chapter Thirty-Four: Ciaran

80.5K 3.8K 360
By isabella_kai

wah! i was hoping we'd reach 50k before this chapter comes out but we still have something to celebrate. we're #4 in paranormal now. again, a big THANK YOU to all of you who're are following Ruari and Ciaran's story. I LOVE YOU ALL! k",)

*  *  *  *  *

I knew from the moment I heard about Ruari's family that they're going to be trouble with a capital 'T' and I was right.

It's not so much about his chaotic parentage. Those things happen especially with pledged mates. No matter how planned a pledged mating is there's always a possibility that a true mate might appear down the line.

Of course, with different packs scattered across the globe and living on different territories finding your significant other is like finding a needle in a haystack. Those who finds their true mate are considered blessed by the spirits and very few in number.

It's common practice for a true mate to take precedence over a pledged one except if one or both parties don't consent to the separation. In which case the matter shall be brought before the high council for review and verdict. This seems to be what happened with Ruari's parents.

I have not had the pleasure to personally meet the former alpha king but I have to say, Lavon Ulfric is a calculating bastard. He wanted to have it all and at one point he did have it both ways. It's a tragedy to those close to him that he was greedy. He could have manned up and stuck with one choice, be fulfilled and happy with it for the rest of his life. But he didn't.

It is true that the high council governs most disputes between packs and royals but the alpha king has the power to veto the decision of the council whenever he deems appropriate.

If Lavon really wanted to leave Eloise for Alessandra he could have done so and no one, not even the high council, would be able to stop him or fault his decision. The spirits themselves chose Alessandra as his true mate and it's not up to us mere mortals to question fate. Unless he did not want to be mated with Alessandra, it would have been a done deal if he'd pushed for the mating hard enough.

But Lavon knew if he choose to be with Alessandra and discard Eloise he would lose the support of Eloise's pack. And he'd gone to extreme lengths just to acquire that support. He wouldn't be willing to let all that hard work go to waste when there are ways that he could have both his true mate and the power of the pack.

It was easier to hide behind the obvious. The simple fact is, the threat of a war was imminent but not unavoidable. Lavon was crafty. Most people would not assume the king's hands on the matter at hand are not as tied as they appear. No one would question the high council if they bring up talks of war and broken treaties that could destroy the peace the werewolf community is currently enjoying. Certainly not a small pack that could easily be obliterated and wiped out if they showed any form resistance.

In the end, Lavon Ulfric did what any hardhearted bastard would do. He kept both his mates. He kept Eloise as his queen because she was convenient. She'd been bred for the position and she'd already given him a son, a successor. Allowing her to stay beside him and rule as queen would keep her pack satisfied. Alessandra's case was more complicated for him to manipulate. Lavon probably romanticized their situation in her mind and possibly kept everyone who could turn her against him away. He then took Alessandra under his wing to isolate her and hide her away.

When Alessandra gave birth to two sons instead of one and Eloise bore a girl instead of an anticipated spare boy all his cunning actions blew up on his face. The biggest miscalculation on Lavon's part was not anticipating one of his sired sons to show outstanding potential at birth.  That he would be a cut above all his other children and possess the strength and abilities that could help him easily acquire the crown should he wish to.

Ruari is too invested on this situation and his judgment might a bit clouded. He won't be able to see things for what they really are. But I'm an outsider and I could easily view the situation on entirely different perspective.

I bet the dispute between the two mates ignited all over again after Ruari and Kevan were born. Only this time Lavon Ulfric had no other choice.  He was forced to chose which one of his mates he wanted to keep. Or maybe he wasn't given a choice at all.

This is nothing but supposition. Call me skeptical if you like but I highly doubt Cassandra Lyall stole Ruari after Alessandra died. Why would she take him away from his rightful place at court when he was the greatest legacy of her most beloved sister? If I have to be brutally honest, I would say Ruari was sent away.

I doubt I could prove that theory but it's the only explanation that makes complete sense. Because if the royals really wanted to find Ruari it would not take them 21 years to do so. And I'm sure Kevan has the same suspicion otherwise he wouldn't have stressed the issue of Ruari's patrimony and right to challenge the crown for the position of alpha king.

I'm not blind. I may not have the same empathy Ruari has for his brother but I could clearly see that Kevan Ulfric despises Lavon and most of the royals at court. The companions that accompanied him on his journey to Moonscape are probably the only people that he trusts implicitly.

I can't say I blame him.

After I become alpha I've seen first hand how much havoc a greed of a royal could wreak. They would wipe out an entire pack and destroy hundreds of lives just to get what they want.

I've always disapproved of how royals behaved towards insignificant people that doesn't have much to offer the crown. And worse towards packs that could barely defend themselves.

Royals often forget they wouldn't survive without those who slave day in and day out under them. They are all, by nature, always hungry for something more. Wealth, power, authority and territory, even people. No matter what they get their greedy hands on, in their eyes, it's never enough.

I'm sure Ruari is shocked to find out that he has other siblings aside from Kevan.

I've met the alpha king Meinor, once, after I took over as alpha of Moonscape. It was still Lavon's reign at the time but Meinor was the one entertaining at the palace as part of his training for the position of alpha king.

I don't know how or why but I was selected for a screening to be Alva's mate. Of course, I declined the invitation and informed the high council that I already found my true mate.

But once it got out that Ruari wasn't staying with me I was 'invited' again. The Moonscape pack council thought it was more prudent to accept after the second summons arrived, to pay my respects and just show myself at court so the royals would leave the pack alone.

I didn't encounter Kevan during my time at court but I heard whispers about a bastard son who was travelling and idling his life away. I didn't pay much attention to politics among royals and I hated gossip. All I ever wanted to do while I was there was to leave and go back to Moonscape. I stayed for no more than a week and was glad when I was allowed to leave. The atmosphere in the palace suffocated me and I never wanted to go back.

I hoped never to get mixed up with royals again but now they've found their way here...

"I'm not going to challenge anyone! I have no desire to be alpha king!" Ruari screamed. "Is that why you're here?"

He was enraged. His mismatched eyes were glowing bright. I've never seen Ruari this angry before.

The hairs on the back of my neck stood as pure and intense rage rolled off of him. The force of it was so strong it was more than intimidating. It's unbelievable how much sinister aura he could exude just by standing there.

"No, it is not." Kevan answered slowly and like me he could also feel the sudden change in Ruari. He was looking at him with a complicated expression of disbelief and shock mixed with undisguised pride.

Keiron was severely agitated. He isn't snapping or clawing to the surface like he usually does but I could feel him taut and ready to spring if the situation requires it. He's prepared for a fight. I could almost taste his bloodlust in my mouth and all his senses were tuned to Ruari and Rothe, ready to defend and attack anyone who would dare to threaten them.

"Then tell me now why the fuck you came barging in here because I swear I'm seconds away to ripping your head off! I don't care if you're my brother. The sooner you tell me what you came here for, the sooner you could all fucking leave!"

The moment those words came out of Ruari's mouth I knew the situation had deteriorated to the point of no return. The time for talk was over. My senses heightened and I focused on Kevan waiting for what he would do or say next.

To my surprise, instead of snapping at back Kevan recoiled at Ruari's harsh words. I don't know what got in to Lorcan but after seeing Kevan's reaction he suddenly growled threateningly at my mate.

How dare he! Keiron exploded. Who does he think he is? I'll make him pay for his impudence! Stupid mutt!

It took all my self-restraint to keep Keiron from ripping Lorcan's stupid head off. What was he thinking disrespecting my mate like that? A deep growl rumbled in my chest and I stood protectively beside Ruari. Lorcan seemed to have woken up from his idiotic trance and immediately bowed down.

Forgive me alpha. He linked with me. But before I could answer Kevan snapped and snarled at me.  

The menacing sounds from the room must have attracted attention because in no time Kevan's escorts burst into the room followed by Bran and Prior.

Sorell and Harkin stood on either side of Kevan while Prior and Bran flanked my and Ruari's. Each of us eyed the other, growled and snarled, waiting for someone brave or stupid enough to make the first move.

All my instincts are centered to keep Ruari safe. Nothing else matters at this moment but to keep him well protected. Not just from Kevan and his companions but from everyone in the room.

"ENOUGH!" Ruari commanded.

All the glass and windows in the room shook from the force of his voice. His fist slammed down the table, splintering its surface before breaking it in half.

We all stopped to stare at him.

Ruari felt different. His looks are the same but his presence suddenly felt wild and fierce, almost feral. The air around him is charged, oozing with strength and authority. It commanded respect and would not tolerate any form of opposition or defiance.

I've seen him act this way before. During the raid on the south border, after his first kill. He was in wolf form then and his wolf, Rothe, was the one fighting on the surface. The clash against the raiders was on its peak and while we were surrounded Ruari let out a deep and loud savage growl. I remember the sound made all the wolves in the clearing stop fighting and caused the raiders to immediately back down and retreat. The presence and aura he's emanating then and now are exactly the same.

Is this what Kevan was talking about when he said Ruari inherited their father's strengths?

No normal werewolf could easily command a wolf from another pack. If I my guess is correct Harkin and Sorell are high-ranking royal guards. They have mixed alpha and royal blood in their system. It marks them as pure predators, high-level warriors. Making pack members submit is possible for any male within the pack who has the potential to be alpha but dominating high-ranking wolves from a completely different pack, with royal blood, is an entirely different matter. It's unheard of!

I turned to the others and I can see they've come to same conclusion as I have.

"Now," Ruari turned calmly to Kevan. "Tell me why you're here."

Sorell and Harkin subtly moved closer to Kevan making sure not to attract Ruari's attention. But with his currently heightened senses I doubt anything within the room, hell anything within a mile radius of him, would be able to escape Ruari's notice.

Kevan straightened his shoulders and inclined his head, facing Ruari eye to eye.

I commend him for being a dauntless son of bitch but seriously, if I were him, I wouldn't push Ruari right now. Such a stupid move would result to someone being killed.

"I came to take you away from that bastard." Kevan declared pointing at me and I groaned inwardly.

Stupid little shit!

This isn't the time to talk about grudges. Yes, I do know Kevan hates my guts and I can guess what caused it. I can clearly see it in the way he looks at me. But talking about that right now with this kind of tension in the room was not smart. Damn him!

I don't know who moved first but within seconds Bran, Prior, Sorell and Harkin were engaged on one on one fights. I grabbed Ruari and moved us on the far end of the room before taking a protective stance in front of him, using my body  to shield him.

"Stop them!" He pushed.

Ruari moved so fast I barely registered when he stepped away from me and grabbed Bran and Sorell, who were grappling with each other, by their necks. He slammed them down on the floor before throwing them towards the wall.

Lorcan and I moved to separate Prior and Harkin who both shifted to their wolf forms. I managed to grab Prior by his neck and apply enough pressure not to hurt him but to make him submit. Once Prior was out of the fight Harkin turned on Lorcan and swiped a lethal paw at him. Lorcan barely managed to evade the attack and seeing this Kevan lunged in the air and dropped over Harkin's back, already on his reddish brown wolf form. Kevan snarled angrily, his teeth snapping mere inches from Harkin's face. Harkin immediately moved to a position showing submission and whined under him.

"Kevan!" Ruari called to get his brother's attention. "Get off him, now!"

Kevan let out another feral growl before moving off Harkin and stand in front of Lorcan, who looked like he just experienced an epiphany. I finally realized why he acted out of character earlier when Ruari threatened Kevan.

Ruari hauled Bran and Sorell off the floor and deposited them on chairs before turning to the three of us.

"The next man who moves out of order will answer to me." Ruari declared staring us down.

I tried not to laugh.

Ruari may not want to challenge Meinor and he may not have any desire to acquire the crown but all of us present in the room knows and understand that he doesn't need the throne or the crown to command anyone. 

Ruari was already exhibiting the bearing of a true alpha king.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

396 49 23
Drifting through the days with her group of friends, Sammy only cared about escaping it all with the help of casual sex, drugs, and alcohol until she...
46K 2.1K 30
A few months ago, I bought a mug with gold gilt. On sale. Not a gift either nor because of an occasion to remember by it. Just plain, pretty mug for...
831K 30.4K 43
A/N: Just as a reminder. I am not a cliche person. I do do cliche topics but they all have a Rissa twist. Check it out, and I hope ya'll enjoy. _____...
528 11 11
I thought I could hide forever, but fate had other plans. I can't remember what it feels like to be happy. I'm sure I felt it long ago, back when I...