The Challenge of the Masters

By DianaTheThird

♈ - Book II of the Astral Guardians Series - ♌ A princess who has the fate of the worlds in her hands. A prin... More

⊱⊰ 1: Lionheart [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 2: Empathy [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 3: Obstacle [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 4: Emotions [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 5: A Small Town Called Io [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 6: Rune [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 7: Question of Control [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 8: When the Enemy Knocks the Door [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 9: Always on My Mind [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 10: On the Road [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 11: Lucid Dreams [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 12: Home [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 13: Idealism of the Dragon King [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 14: Welcome to London [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 15: A Mother's Heart [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 16: The Guardian that Steals Light [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 17: Sagittarius [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 18: Meet the Malulus [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 19: The Chosen Ones' Quest [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 20: The Only Treasure [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 21: Appearances [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 22: Deceit [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 23: Payback [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 24: A Trick of the Mind [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 25: Shield of Cancer [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 26: Kaus Australis [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 27: A New Journey [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 28: Faded Snapshots [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 29: Saranyu of Ribawe [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 30: A Heart's Desire [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 31: Lunara [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 32: Lady Urié [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 33: Whispers of the Mysterious Master [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 34: Lotus Flower [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 35: Arrival of the Royal Family [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 36: Capricorn [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 37: Virgo's Wish [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 38: An Invisible Threat [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 39: A Twist of Fate [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 40: Departure [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 41: Enemy's Territory ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 42: Park of Endless Caves ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 43: Risk ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 44: Ellanie's Tale ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 45: Haven ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 46: No Way Out ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 47: The Earth Master's Call ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 48: Rampage ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 49: Reunion ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 50: Fire and Earth ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 51: After the Fall ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 52: An Unusual Family ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 53: Two Worlds ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 54: At the Mother Island ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 55: Song of the Water Goddess ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 56: Under the Sea ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 57: Regrets ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 58: Accords ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 59: The Siren's Call ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 60: Riddle of the Hidden Master ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 61: Where the Waters Don't Meet ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 62: Gas, Solid, Liquid and a Foe ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 64: Fate of the Unknown ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 65: New Beginnings ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ Epilogue ⊱⊰
~ Author's Note ~
⊱⊰ Teaser + Announcement ⊱⊰

⊱⊰ 63: Circumstances ⊱⊰

402 44 117
By DianaTheThird

Arisa prepared herself for a possible attack, taking a step backward as she carefully gazed at the algae woman standing not far from her.

"I'm so glad that in the end, you decided to explore this place," said Virgo, her voice cheerful. "When I heard the history of this place, I had a feeling that one of the Elements could be hidden here. So I thought there could be a chance you and your bunch would be curious about it after finding your little friend."

As Virgo set her bright green eyes on Arisa's right side, Arisa glanced by her side and saw that the marine blue armored Caris was holding her trident, ready to fight.

Arisa gazed back at Virgo. "Wha-what do you want?"

Even though Arisa knew what those despicable beings' goal was, she wanted to make time by distracting her in a way she could find a way to escape or if possible, kill enough time so her companions could join them in a battle against Virgo. Arisa had no hopes of defeating such a powerful Guardian like her.

"Nothing really," replied Virgo with a playful tone. "After all, I'm not the one destined to take your life. I just want to have some fun."

Arisa's brows touched, feeling a bit confused. After the trouble Virgo went through to add fire to the tensions between the People of Maré, the Islanders and their children as well as to lure Arisa's team to this place, all the Guardian wanted was to have fun? Arisa found that suspicious.

"From your reaction, I'm seeing that you don't believe me." Virgo chuckled quickly.

Arisa tightened her grip on her weapon. "Of course I don't. No one would believe you after seeing everything you have done in the Forbidden Lands and Lunara."

"Oh my," said Virgo, placing her hand on her chest. "I had no choice in the Forbidden Lands. We had to do something to avoid our fate and as for Lunara, I made a promise to help the poor princess escape her fated marriage. I'm a being who doesn't break promises. I couldn't just allow the princess to get married by force after I gave her my word."

Arisa frowned at Virgo's words. She wondered how Virgo could feel that everything she had done was out of pure innocence. She really sounded as if she didn't see anything wrong with what she had done, despite her hands being dirty of the blood of the candidates from the Forbidden Lands and the people from Lunara.

"Then it's clear that you will kill me," said Arisa, preparing her sword, "since you want to avoid our fate."

Virgo raised a brow. "As I told you before, I'm not the one destined to kill you."

Arisa gazed at her. As sadness resurfaced within her, remembering what Kazuya had told her, Arisa wanted to tell Virgo that the person who was destined to take her life was no longer there with them. But nothing left her lips as she didn't want to believe he was dead.

"I just want to have some fun," continued Virgo.

As soon as Virgo announced that, Arisa felt as if the ground was shaking a bit. She fought not to fall and examined her surroundings. Even though the rain and the vapor gave her limited visibility, Arisa could see small shadows popping up from the soil around them.

Arisa took a step back, noticing that those shadows were slowly leaving the ground.

"Caris, be careful," she said, glancing at the armored girl by her side. "Those are Virgo's puppets."

Caris nodded. "I will. I remember how she fought you and the boys in that world. I'll be sure to keep my guard raised."

Arisa gazed back to her front, remembering that during that battle, Caris, Thelma, and Nala were hiding somewhere. As she examined her surroundings carefully, Arisa noticed that more small shadows were popping out in a wider area.

"We'll have to go through these puppets in order to escape from Virgo," said Arisa. "Let's not get too far apart. To face the real thing, we'll need each other."

"O-okay," said Caris. "Good luck."

Arisa gazed at her. "Thank you. Good luck to you too."

As Caris replied with a quick nod, Arisa took a deep breath and charged forward, targeting the nearest opponent.

Her blade slashed one of the cactus creatures that had a humanoid shape. As soon as she took it down, Arisa went to another opponent, attempting to strike it with her sword. Arisa turned around before she could strike her target, protecting herself by cutting the thorn filled roots that targeted her back.

Her eyes widened, feeling as if something was pulling her heart. She lowered her body, escaping the blade-like arms of a creature that had petals as its hair. As Arisa saw an opening, she took this opportunity to sink her blade into the creature's chest.

"My, my," said a voice in the background, clapping. "You've really grown stronger, Princess."

Arisa grunted, meeting the rocky ground as an earthquake shook the soil. She rolled sideways as another flower creature with blade-like arms attempted to pierce her chest. She tried to stand up but failed as the earthquake wouldn't stop. As she rolled sideways to escape from another attack, she noticed that more creatures were growing from the ground.

Arisa tried to stand up again but failed. Still lying on the ground, her blade met a heavy fist, protecting her as a large creature attempted to crush her on the ground. Fighting to escape from her opponent, she saw that the creature was a mixture of plants and thick roots.

Seconds passed and Arisa found herself in a battle of resistance as she struggled to deflect the creature's heavy fist. Her arms started to tremble, slowly giving up as the monster's fist forced her blade to reach her throat. 

Arisa closed her eyes, trying to force her arms not to give up and escape from her opponent's attack. But no matter how hard she tried to protect herself, her arms reached their limit and decreased the space between her blade and her throat.

"Hm, I think I'm going too far," said Virgo, chuckling. "This is enough. I had my fun."

When the creature attacking Arisa disappeared, she dropped her arms on the ground, breathing heavily. She still could feel them trembling as she shakily stood up.

"What..." Arisa breathed heavily. "What are you up to?"

For someone whose goal was to kill her, Arisa found it weird that Virgo stopped her puppet right before it was about to accomplish what she always wanted to do.

"I want an entertaining show," said Virgo cheerfully. "That's all."

Arisa's forehead wrinkled, not understanding the Guardian's personality.

"And I'm guessing that seeing others suffer is a form of your entertainment?" asked Arisa.

"Oh my," said Virgo, touching her chest as if she was hurt. "When you say it like that, you make me look bad. I only want some moments of fun. Living for more than a century has its downsides, you know."

Arisa blinked two times, still amazed that Virgo had lived for so many years. With the advantage of living for so long, Arisa thought there were other ways to enjoy life than making beings suffer only because she was bored. Noticing that the algae lady was gesturing her hands, Arisa readied herself for another battle.

"I'm tired of seeing you cut down my babies like that," said Virgo, slowly gesturing her hand on her left side. "How about you play catch with them?"

Arisa saw multiple large plant creatures growing by the algae lady's side. She noticed that the creatures had a round body covered in vines. From her spot, Arisa saw that their strong arms were holding something.

"Why would you waste time by making me run after those creatures?" asked Arisa.

"Oh, because it's fun," said Virgo, her tone sweet. "After all, there's something at stake. Have you noticed that our colleague has been quiet all this time?"

Arisa's eyes widened. "Pisces."

Arisa quickly examined her surroundings, her heart pounding. She couldn't believe that she was so focused on Virgo that she forgot to check how her comrade was doing. Through the heavy rain and persistent steam, Arisa didn't spot the silhouette of an armored figure.

"Pi-Pisces," said Arisa, worry spreading in her veins. "What did you do to her?"

"Don't worry, I'm not cruel like you think," replied Virgo playfully. "Your friend is fine. One of my babies is holding her. All you have to do is catch the right one and she will be free."

Arisa glared at her. "You monster."

Virgo gasped and covered her mouth. "Your words wound me, Princess. To think I'm just trying to help you out. I'm sad."

Arisa didn't fall for Virgo's fake victim words. Instead, she summoned her sword and rushed forward. The creatures not far from her started to run as soon as she took her first step to approach them.

Using her speed, Arisa was able to reach one of the large vine creatures and swung her weapon on the target. The creature fell and dropped something. When Arisa examined the ground, she only saw a pile of vines on it. She took a deep breath, telling herself not to give up. She ran to another side, trying to catch another creature.

For minutes, Arisa chased the vine monsters, not realizing that she was slowly leaving the area. During that time, she succeeded catching several creatures only to be disappointed that they were carrying vines. She told herself to be patient, that she would soon find Caris. She kept tracking the remaining creatures.

Arisa took down yet another opponent. Disappointment flowed in her blood again, seeing that the creature was holding a pile of vines. Breathing heavily, Arisa examined her surroundings, noticing that she was in a new area and had lost track of the remaining few creatures. She realized that there were barely any boulders on this side of the island.

Her armored boots clanked against the ground as she walked around, looking for the vine creatures.

Where could they be hiding?

"Virgo," called a voice behind her. "Is that you?"

Arisa froze upon hearing that voice, recognizing it.

"It's about time you showed up," he continued. "I don't understand why we still have to wait on this annoying island. You wasted my time by calling me to this world and make me wait here for most of the day. 

"I know you heard what my cousin told me when I received her call. Something is going on in Celestia and I have to return immediately. Yet you insist I stay here. What are you up to?"

Arisa's heart raced. For a moment, she froze as a bomb of emotions exploded within her. She still couldn't believe what was going on. As clanking sounds mixed with splashes of water filled the silence as he slowly approached her, Arisa fought against herself to calm down.

"Aries," he said almost in a whisper. "Of course. Now I understand why Virgo persisted I stayed in this world. I should have seen through her right away."

Arisa curled her fingers and slowly turned around with her heart racing. Several steps away from her, through the heavy rain, Arisa recognized the tall red armored figure.

"Zen," said Arisa, her voice cracking. "You're...you're alive."

"Yeah," said Zen, his tone emotionless. "Unfortunately, Kazu didn't have the courage to kill me despite having multiple chances to do so. He only made sure I wouldn't run after you, which was pointless since Virgo later showed up and healed me."

Arisa couldn't find any words as she gazed at him. Despite everything that happened between them, she remembered how devastated she was when she believed that Kazuya had killed him. Seeing Zen right in front of her, despite his intentions, part of her was relieved that he was alive.

"I had high expectations of him," said Zen. "I believed he would end everything, yet he wasn't brave enough. I guess he's a weakling as well."

Arisa blinked two times. Hearing his words, it was as if he really wanted Kazuya to kill him.

"He's not a weakling for not having the courage to kill a friend," said Arisa.

"A man who's seen a person he thought was a friend try to kill the woman he loves, would certainly have the courage to kill him," said Zen, his tone firm. "At least he would do that to protect her."

Arisa stared at him, speechless. She wasn't sure whether to believe Zen or not since Kazuya made it clear that he saw her only as a little sister. She curled her fingers, wondering if Zen was trying to confuse her again.

"I wonder if Virgo is keeping him busy so this time I succeed killing you," said Zen, looking around.

Arisa's heart sped. Even though she told herself that if he survived the battle against Kazuya, she wouldn't hold back fighting against Zen, she couldn't help but feel a bit down that in the end, this was the only way.

"Since you're already here," said Zen, summoning his sword, "I'll make sure this time I'll finish you off."

Clanking sounds mixed with the pelting rain as Arisa protected herself from Zen's attack. A second after her blade met her opponent's, Arisa felt heaviness in her heart. Another sound of two steel materials clashing sparked the atmosphere as Arisa protected her left side using her arm. She glanced at the helmet behind the greatsword that almost sliced her shoulder.

"Will you fight me seriously this time?" he asked.

Arisa gulped, seeing that Zen was really attempting to kill her this time. Before Arisa could deflect Zen's sword, he moved away and kicked her gut. Arisa felt as if she couldn't breathe as she fell on the ground and splashed the water that was accumulating on the land.

Arisa didn't have time to complain about the impact as she quickly protected herself from the sword that was about to pierce her heart. For several seconds, her eyes met the red armored figure, trying to sink his blade in her chest as she was trapped on the ground. Failing to deflect her opponent's weapon, Arisa slowly curled her fingers around Zen's wrist. Seconds later, she covered her hand with crimson flames, which spread to Zen's arm.

Aries' sign didn't take long to brighten on his armored arm. With one blink, his armor and greatsword disappeared with glowing dust.

As her arm felt lighter, Arisa's heart raced at the sight of the dark-haired boy that was staring back at her from above.

This is my chance. Arisa tightened her grip on Zen's wrist. I can finish him off and end this suffering.

Despite encouraging herself with those words, Arisa remained laid on the ground, trying to find the courage to turn around and strike Zen's heart. Her stomach turned only by imagining herself doing that.

"You say you would rather find a way to make mortals love one another," said a voice in the background. "Yet here you are thinking of a way to kill one of your kind."

Zen glanced around. "What? Who's there?"

"I-it's not my fault," said Arisa, her voice cracking a little. "Unfortunately, fate placed us in this situation."

Zen gazed back at Arisa, frowning. He then moved away, looking confused.

"Fate you say," said the Master. "In this case, isn't it better for me to destroy the worlds, so you won't ever suffer like this?"

"No," protested Arisa, slowly standing up. "I already told you that what you're doing is wrong."

The Master chuckled. "It doesn't matter. Everything shall be destroyed."

As the voice faded, Arisa examined her surroundings, looking for the Master. She didn't see anything besides the heavy rain that was slowly flooding the island.

"Who was that?" asked Zen, examining his surroundings.

"That was the Master of Water," said Arisa.

Zen blinked. "The Element. So it was hidden here all this time? I don't understand why Virgo didn't do anything since she had her eyes all over the island. She could at least have stopped you from releasing it."

Arisa gazed at him, wondering what he meant by Virgo having eyes all over the island. Seeing his shocked reaction, Arisa wondered what were Virgo's actual intentions.

"We have to do something to seal it," said Arisa, forgetting about Virgo for the moment.

Zen raised a brow. "We?"

Arisa replied with a quick nod.

"Out of all beings around the worlds," said Zen, "why would you think I would join you to seal something that will take away my powers?"

"Because everything is at stake," said Arisa, her tone calm. "You heard it. It plans to destroy all beings around the worlds. If we don't do something fast, we will all lose."

Zen gazed at her for a few seconds. He then shifted his view sideways.

"We should forget our differences and focus on it before it's too late," said Arisa, anxiety flowing in her veins.

For a minute only the sound of pelting rain filled the silence. Zen sighed, his dark eyes gazing back at her.

" Alright," he said. "What's the plan?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.3K 3.2K 26
❝Many things are hard, but killing your fated mate has got to be the hardest.❞ BOOK #2 OF 'HEART OF THE WOLF PRINCE' ******** Once the unremarkable R...
279 11 13
After seeing her brother meet his destiny, the young princess of Aeronia is set to find her own. When he finally returns, everything seems to be oka...
348 13 51
[I waited for you my entire life... and you were worth every minute.] Ardyn Lowell normally forgets his dreams. He's a normal young adult who has goo...
975 46 43
My fingers slid down his frangible ribs, subconsciously counting each one. I stared upon his scrawny figure. My hatred had quickly turned into guilt...