Disconnected

By Sprinting_Ginger

Being a nomad fits Tilly's lifestyle, and she is more than happy with the unconventional way she lives. Being... More

One
Two
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Epilogue

Three

1.1K 46 33
By Sprinting_Ginger

"Til, you can't do this." Eloise frowns at her through the screen, her big blue eyes looking worried.

"El, I literally started crying in front of him after he kissed me. What the fuck else am I supposed to do?"

"I don't know, maybe tell him why it happened. Just saying it wasn't his fault doesn't do anything for him. He is still going to think it was him."

"Fuck. And he is so nice. Like so nice. And funny, and he sorta..." She sighs, not sure she wants to admit what she's been thinking.

"He reminds you of him doesn't he?" Her sister smiles sympathetically.

Swallowing an uncomfortable lump in her throat Tilly nods, wiping her cheek to catch a tear.

"That isn't a bad thing, Tilly. You just need to move slow, it's new, it's confusing, and it's scary. But it isn't bad or wrong."

"It feels wrong still, El."

"Tilly, this isn't healthy. You can't just be single for the rest of your life."

"I'll be married to my job." Tilly chuckles halfheartedly.

"Hey, come to Paris, Til. And soon, we should have some sister time."

"It's February, El, that means mom and dad are going to visit you there soon. I'll come around after I know they're gone."

"You could come while they are here, we could have the whole family back together for the first time in years." Her sister rolls her eyes.

"No. You know I can't do that. I should go, El, I need to get some sleep before tomorrow. I'll talk to you later, sis."

"Tilly, he wouldn't want this. Try and remember that. And hey, I love you, sissy."

"I love you too. Talk soon." Tilly sighs, shutting down skype and shoving her computer away.

Glancing down she lifts the small "T" charm hanging around her neck. Pressing it to her lips as she takes a deep breath, "What the hell am I going to do, T?" She whispers, wishing there was a way to get a definitive answer from the person she wants it from most.

"Hey, Cal, nice shirt?" Luke laughs as Calum steps out of the elevator.

"Oh ya, um, got shit on by a bird so the place let me take a t-shirt instead of wearing the soiled one." Calum shrugs, his mind somewhere completely different.

"Penny for your thoughts, Cal. What's pulling you down?" Sierra asks, concern written across her soft features.

"Just..." he sighs, scratching the back of his head as he tries to organize a thought well enough to verbalize it.

"Hey, come on let's sit down. Something really bothering you, Cal." Luke frowns, ushering him into their hotel room.

"Is it the volunteer work you've been doing? Is it too much?" Sierra takes his hand gently as he drops into a chair.

"No." Calum sighs, "Have you ever met someone, and like instantly knew you needed to know them. They needed to be part of your life somehow? But you aren't sure how exactly?"

"Yes." They both deadpan before turning to glance at the other.

"Fuck." Calum laughs, "I met Tilly yesterday when I got out to the Animal Rehabilitation place. She is bold and sassy and confident and beautiful. I don't know, it was like instantly I had a crush on her or something. She actually requested I come back today, that's why I was pulled our right when we got down to the volunteer building this morning. We were flirting all day. Literally from the moment we got away from the other volunteers. And it wasn't like innocent flirting either. And then she very obviously was checking me out after she washed my hair out. The bird shit on my head." He adds quickly when Luke goes to ask, "And I got this jolt of confidence from catching her doing that. So I asked if I could kiss her. And she said Yes, and kissed me back. And then she started crying." He deflates.

"Crying? So Calum is a bad kisser?" Luke laughs.

"She like had a panic attack. She was rambling all these weird words. Something about it being her not me, three years, and she said fuck like twenty times before she made us jump on the ATV and she dropped me at the main house without another word. I'm just, confused. And maybe a little embarassed or offended. I don't know. She said I could do it, but then reacted like that." He drops his head, running his hands through his hair. "Did I totally fuck it up? Do you think I'll be able to be friends with her still? I really like her, and I want to be her friend. And I'm scared I messed it all up by pushing too much too soon."

"Honestly, Cal, it sounds like she has a lot of shit going on in her own head. It probably wasn't you. You just have to see what happens in the morning." Sierra pats his hand softly.

"But I kissed her, and she cried..." Calum sighs.

"Ya, and that's on her, not you. Just don't stress too much, and if you get invited back tomorrow see if she'll talk to you a little bit." Sierra offers.

"You've known her for two days, Cal, don't let it be more than a two day bother. Sometimes things seem like they should be, when in reality they should just be left alone."

"Maybe." Calum nods, "I'm going to bed. It's been a weird day. Thanks for talking to me." He smiles at his friends before heading out of their room and into his identical one across the hall.

Calum was not invited back to the Rehabilitation property. Each day he would go in in the morning hoping to be called out again, only to be sent to help fill needs elsewhere. And although rewarding, nothing had been as fun as those first two days he spent with Tilly and the animals.

Staring at his reflection in the mirror he sighs heavily, his fingers working the buttons of his black shirt closed over his chest. He shouldn't be surprised, not really. He always seems to fuck up the good things before they become great, especially when it comes to relationships.

Securing the last button just below his adamsapple he brushes down the wrinkles, tucking the shirt crisply into his slacks before tightening his belt. Grabbing his suit coat off the end of the bed and his phone before heading out to meet the others, just in time to leave. He pauses in the lobby, his eyes caught by a smiling older woman in a beautiful red dress, her silvering hair combed out nicely.

"Mum?" Calum grins, hurrying to wrap her in his arms.

"Luke asked me to be your date tonight, hs a aid you'd been feeling a bit down this week. Do you mind?" Her sweet voice fills his ears.

"Only because I didn't think to invite you myself." Calum laughs. "You look beautiful, mum. Fuck, I've missed you."

"Liz helped me find the right outfit after Luke called me. Even at my age you still fret about silly things like that." She cups his face softly, looking him over, "You're taking care of yourself, my baby?"

"Yes, mum. I'm doing fine." He chuckles.

"Good." She grins, pressing a motherly kiss to his cheek.

He shrugs her off like he's embarrassed, but in truth his heart is swelling. His family means the world to him, and having his mum to attend the event with him is the best thing that could have happened after the week of overthinking and cursing himself.

"Joy? Good to see you." Ashton appears suddenly with KayKay at his side, pulling Calum's mum into a hug.

"And you, Ash."

"What are you doing here?"

"She's my date." Calum grins, wrapping an arm around his mums shoulders.

"Oh good, you made it." Luke grins, hugging Joy as well as he and Sierra find their way into the lobby of the hotel.

"Wouldn't miss the chance to see my boy and see all of you perform." She smiles, pulling Michael into a hug as he and Crystal are the last to make an appearance. The group is ushered out of the building fairly quickly, Calum keeping his mums arm tightly around his own as he guides her. Their group enjoying a lively conversation as the cross town to the ANZ Stadium.

A red carpet run of band photos along with photos of them with their dates ensues the moment the step from the car, followed by interviews while the girls and Joy are taken to their seats. Calum's eyes are pulled just before an interview, getting distracted by a tattooed arm passing, the arm covered in animals, trees, rivers....

Glancing from the arm to the owner he can't help but let his jaw drop. Tilly looks more stunning than he could have ever imagined. A fitted rose gold dress hugging the curves her t-shirts hid, her full tattooed sleeve on display since her dress has very thin straps. Her face is painted in a natural makeup, which accents her golden eyes, hair curled into loose rings around her shoulders.

"Holy shit." He whispers, his eyes staying trained on her as she turns to walk away, a large lion head tattoo staring back at him from between her shoulder blades. She hadn't noticed him, or at least she hadn't acknowledged that she had.

"Earth to Calum." Ashton laughs loudly.

"Sorry." He coughs, trying to adjust himself discreetly.

"Who got you so hot and bothered so quickly." Michael smirks.

"Shut up!" Calum growls between his teeth.

"Was it the tattoos? We all know you have a thing for a girl with ink." Luke chuckles.

"That was her. The girl I told you and Si about." Calum whispers to him as they file into the interview space.

"Oh." Luke's playful laughter is suddenly gone, a shocked and sympathetic look replacing it.

"Ya..."

----------------------------------------
So will Calum and Tilly run into each other at the festival?

What do you think so far of the story?

Also go check out Aftershocks by SavSOS_ because it is my favorite Cal fic currently being written and it's insanely good! And she's my Bestie and deserves the reads. 🖤

Vote and comment!

I love you guys!!

~M =)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46K 1.7K 42
The best things in Calum's life have arrived rather unexpectedly, he's hoping the new found surprises will have similar outcomes, but he's quite wear...
112K 3.6K 35
Nobody likes secrets but everyone has them. Calum doesn't want the world to know his, and Skye wants hers to disappear into the past where they belon...
8.4K 339 133
Luke Hemmings Fanfic. First one, so be nice. So....read it and stuff....please...? Beta: @hyppogirl
182K 3.6K 117
Unknown: Although maybe I'll thank him 2 Me: lol why? Unknown: Cos he made me talk 2 u (C) brainoverload 🤓 2018 / added to in 2021 Calum hood fan f...