Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Seas...

By HaruMiju501

An innocent school student, a timid cheerleader, an intelligent amnesiac, a spunky pop star, and a reserved m... More

FOREWORD
CONTENT WARNINGS
Episode 1: The Encounter
Episode 2: Aspirations
Episode 3: Infia
Episode 4: Fighting for a friend
Episode 5: Infia's Real Secret
Episode 6: Agents of King's Shield
Episode 7: The First Callout
Episode 8: Fairies and Seasons
Episode 9: The Date
Episode 10: Pop Star's Façade
Episode 11: MOAND DIA
Episode 12: Infia's Big Play
Episode 13: Missing Feelings
Episode 14: Lute's Evolution
Episode 15: Aseria's Ancient History
Episode 16: Crisis of the Seasons
Episode 17: Battle in the Southern Temple
Episode 18: The Cultists of Aseria
Episode 19: How to Live
Episode 20: The Sixth Hero
Episode 21: Temple of the East
Episode 22: Evoli
Episode 24: The Oldest Village in Aseria
Episode 25: Temple of the West
Episode 26: The Next Phase
Episode 27: Loneliness Together
Episode 28: Temple of the North
Episode 29: Project Dragonlord
Episode 30: Beginning of the End
Episode 31: This Is Who I Am
Episode 32: This Is Who We Are -PART 1-
Episode 32: The Is Who We Are -PART 2-
Episode 33: Aseria Evolves
Episode 34: Aseria's Last Crisis
Episode 35: Put Him To Rest
LAST EPISODE: The Definition Of Hero
Nymphina
Bonus Episode: Weird and Proud

Episode 23: Rising Spirle

190 8 20
By HaruMiju501

"Lute. C'mon, get up already," Naivie groaned. He didn't respond, so she growled and began to bash his head. "Get up dang you! Can the fate of Aseria really depend on such a lazy boy?"

Lute didn't say a word, but he did raise a paw. Without looking up from his slouched position on his bed, he caught her and tossed her aside. She hit the wall beside the door just as Esther tiptoed in. Naivie mumbled a curse as she sank to the floor.

"Naivie?" Esther said.

She looked around the room and downed her ears at the darkened tone. The curtains were closed, some belongings were scattered on the floor, and there were three bowls of untouched food. What was cooked had gone off, and what wasn't had gone hard from being left out in the open.

"Geez, you haven't eaten a thing in so long, Lute. You must be famished. Can't do anything if your tummy has the rumblies, can you?" Esther joked.

"Go away," Lute replied, his voice muffled by the bedsheets.

"Na-uh-uh. Not until you eat this freshly made—"

"I said go away," he raised his voice. He got up in a flash and kicked her, making her drop the plate in her paws. She fell backward, in shock and covered in sauce. He didn't bat an eye at it however, and went right back under his blanket.

"Lute, if you keep that up we're gonna run outta food," she said, a slight shudder in her voice. He didn't answer. His tail didn't even move. "I know you're hurt by everything that happened, but come on. You can't stay like this. Everyone's worried about you. We need you."

He was quiet for a while. "You don't."

"We do! We dunno where Kuri is. And he wouldn't help us even if we made him, you know he won't. So our legend's at a standstill until you decide to get up," she said. He still didn't move. "Those evolved Risen have been showing up all over the place now, too. They're doing all sorts of stuff. Stealing, breaking into shops, attacking Pokémon... and they're super tough to take down. Whatever Spirle are doing, they're making their moves now, ya'know?"

But he still didn't budge. Not a twitch. Even when she started to growl. "Alright. I've had enough of this. It's been two weeks, Lute. Two weeks of sulking alone in here. Not even Infia was this weak. And I sure as hell didn't fall in love with someone who'd get beaten down by something like this."

That got him to move, although it was only to roll over to face her. She was stern and stiff, with her paws curled into fists.

"Like, I get it. You're a literal product of society. All other Pokémon want from you is what you can do for them. And your reason for being created is nothing but gross, too," she said. She kept as still as she could while she spoke, but little shakes of tears came through her voice. "I've seen it all before. I could've stayed an idol until I was unpopular. Phoenix could've stayed as Spirle's test dummy. Infia could've been labelled Victoria's defect, too. But we all moved on, ya'know? None of us are gonna let others decide who we are. Only our feelings are allowed to choose that."

"All I care about right now is how much I hate how everything has turned out," he said, half lidded and empty. "I just want to destroy it all. I don't even want to be alive."

"Then why did you save Sophitia? Why didn't you let her die? Why didn't you destroy Marina?" She grit her fangs.

Lute had to think about that one, and turned away. Besides these regular visits from his friends, nothing else had happened since the reveal, so everything was still fresh in his memory. He remembered drowning and magically recovering from it. It felt like torture, deprived of breath until his body ached from head to toe.

However, moments later, all the pain and discomfort vanished. Somehow, despite staying underwater for longer than any air breather should have been able to, he fully recovered without doing anything. In fact, his vision became as clear as it was on land, and his hearing enhanced to pick up sounds from miles away. His aches stopped and he could practically fly through the water. This was even after he choked and spasmed in an effort to gain oxygen.

The moment he realised that he was okay, his focus locked onto the drowning Sophitia. She was passed out, so it was easy for him to swim over. He caught her in his front paws and shot for the surface, and breathed water the whole time. It was probably the most heroic he had ever looked, yet it felt the most disturbing.

"Never mind all that. Isn't that okay?" Naivie said. She fluttered between him and Esther. "So you hate this world that's created you, huh? And you wanna destroy everything that contributed to it."

Lute didn't answer, but his eyes thinned.

"Then let's go do that. And this isn't even some fancy twist and stuff to get you to do what I want. This world is filthy!" Naivie announced. "So let's destroy it by awakening the remaining flowers. Do that, and everyone gets what they want."

"Naivie!" Esther cried.

"Trying to get me to follow your orders like I'm some kind of slave. That's exactly what I've grown to hate about everyone," Lute said as he coiled back to into bed.

"Hold up, listen for a sec. You remember that when the flowers are awakened, V-Wave technology stops working, right? But aren't you a product made entirely outta V-Waves?" Naivie continued. He got up again. "Exactly. You destroy the basis of society, and you stop functioning, too. You wanna die, so you take the world with you. You already tried to kill yourself once, so might as well do something useful with it."

"Naivie, that's fucking horrible!" Esther cried.

"But it's what he wants. The world isn't gonna change as long as V-Wave stuff keeps existing. So if you wanna remove it all as well as yourself, do it all in one fell swoop with the help of the ancient flowers," Naivie explained.

"That's still a horrible way of thinking! What kind of twisted masochist do you have to be to help someone kill themselves for your own gain? Weren't we friends?" Esther shrieked.

"Ha! Hardly. With stuff like this, I can't afford to let emotions and 'friendship' get in the way of stuff that has to be done. It's do or die for the world. Friendship has no place in it," Naivie said.

"That's a good way of thinking, actually," Lute said, getting up. Esther took in a breath. "I'm tired of treating everyone like fake friends."

"Don't say that," Esther said. She held him in place, but he didn't fight back. "We're friends, aren't we? We understand each other more than most Pokémon."

Lute's face tightened. "You're annoying, you know that?"

Esther gasped and flinched back.

"You're annoying. You're obsessive and controlling, and you have no sense of shame. Your idea of us being friends was you inserting yourself into my life and dragging me into this mess, careless about how I felt or how any of it really affected me," Lute stated. He completely ignored her look of disbelief. "And then you have the nerve to try and coax me with asinine statements like falling in love with me? You and I were never friends. That was just a dumb status you convinced yourself you had for your own satisfaction."

"But I- we—" she mouthed and shuddered. "I-I m-meant... I didn't—"

"Hey, you confessed, and he responded. You can either deal with this maturely, or run off crying like a sissy," Naivie said. Esther let out a hoarse groan and then stifled it after a second, left shuddering with a furious glare on her face.

"You're both vile," she said slowly, and stormed out. She slammed the door so hard it sounded like the frame cracked.

"Gotta admit I'm surprised. I expected the running away and crying part. I wonder how long she'll throw out underhanded comments for?" Naivie said. "But hey, try not to cut through the others too deeply, okay? We do still need them to be wanting to do this, too."

Lute didn't reply. He began to sort out his room, retrieved his bag and the important tools he needed. Naivie watched him in interest, and then sat on his bed.

"You and I, we're going to do this, no matter what it takes. It's super easy to wind up being misunderstood, but remember that it's your prayers that grows those flowers. The world will end up the way you and the other heroes want it to be," Naivie explained. "I'm not doubting you or anything, but if at any point you do change your mind on feeling the way you do now, you have the time to do so. Not even I can stop you from doing that."

"That was surprisingly sentimental coming from you. You wanted this all along, didn't you?" he said.

"All the matters to me is that the heroes do their jobs and awaken the ancient flowers. I don't care how it gets done. Maybe it's fate that you were supposed to die along with it, I dunno. I reckon your little Minun friend has figured that out already too, but she thinks she's being strong by keeping a tight lip on it. And I haven't the faintest what'll happen to Phoenix," Naivie said. "But all the heroes are chosen for a reason. Whatever the future holds, you all will decide what it is and know what's best for it."

"So it's less of a personal wish, but a mission implanted on your own being," he said. She froze, her eyes wide. "So you're just like me. A slave to your orders. You don't even know what's going to come of this, do you?"

"Okay that part I do know. I was born to see this through, so everything that happens regarding the legend, I know all about," she said cheerfully.

"But have you seen it happen? Do you know what kind of prayers and wishes are actually going into those flowers?" he said.

Naivie's eyes widened again. For the first time, the miniature fairy looked flustered and her ear-like wings ceased to flap for a moment. It made Lute snicker, and he got up to leave. "If I were you, I'd start thinking for yourself before it's too late."

Before she could respond, Esther's scream rung through the house, and they exchanged glances. The instant Lute pulled the door open, Naivie flew out, while he trotted after her.

At the front of the house, Spirle High Points Victor and Victoria were out in the open, and between them was a massive Pokémon he hadn't seen before. Sophitia and the others looked as though they had been fighting for a while, but Esther was knelt down at the back of the group. He thought she had simply taken an attack that had grounded her until he noticed a huge red stain on her side, barely covered by her paw. It was steadily spreading, too – she was still bleeding.

"Esther, get a hold of yourself! You know that charging at these two isn't gonna work," Sophitia said. She had her shield and sword out.

"Stay still, I can take care of this," Infia said as she laid her paws on the wound. The Pikachu cringed, but once Infia's healing move started, she settled a bit.

"Now then, are we done playing children's games? We're busy Pokémon, you know," Victoria said. "You've already made fools of yourselves by underestimating me again. Keep wasting our time, and I can't promise you I'll hold back your punishment."

"And trust me, Victoria's punishments mean real business. A beating from her is worse than a beating from mummy's belt!" Victor remarked. His Spritzee partner slumped forward.

"Do you have to put it so embarrassingly?" Victoria complained.

"It ain't embarrassing, sweetheart. It's called brutal honesty. No doubt they're peeing themselves just picturing it, ha!" Victor laughed.

"Working with you is so embarrassing," The Spritzee rolled her eyes. "But we aren't joking. Marina. Come quietly, or the lot of you will pay the price."

"Marina?" Lute said quietly. Marina was in fact amongst them, feet spread like she was ready to fight. What do they want with her? Or did they somehow figure out that she built me?

"I dunno what you want with her, but I'm not gonna let you get away with the kidnapping routine again," Sophitia said.

She leapt towards them and swung her sword overhead, only to hit the ground where Victoria once was. She pointed her other feeler where the fairy types had jumped to release a Fairy Wind attack in their direction. The attack passed right through them however, and their forms vanished.

"How can you think to do so when you can't even see me?" Victoria's voice taunted her. Before she knew it, she was inside of a cloud of pink perfume, unable to see. She could only hear the laughter of the two fairies, to which she growled.

Curse her illusions. Don't let it trip you, Sophie. Emotions, find their feelings, she thought as she raised all four feelers.

To Lute however, he could see everything. The duo had simply spread out, and Victoria was glowing to signify the use of her powers. He was tempted to charge her with Quick Attack right there and then, but something stopped him.

With the power to make illusions of anything that are so real that you can feel them, it's a wonder that they aren't able to just walk away with Marina. Unless, something is stopping them from doing that, he thought as he observed. His eyes locked to the giant Pokémon that hadn't moved since he arrived. And then there's that thing.

The bipedal creature was covered from head to toe in shell that resembled battle armour, all as shiny and smooth as metal. The turquoise sheen contrasted with its large, dark eyes. Huge arms failed to hide its tough nails, two on each claw. The armour theme carried on across most of its back and its legs, but its front was mostly exposed. However, with the four ant-like feet gathered near its mouth, each with a nail on the end, it hardly looked like a weak spot.

"Sophitia, they're on your left," Infia cried. Sophitia was too late to react, and wound up tackled to the floor by Victor. She fought with the Swirlix with a kick and a slap, but they were brought to a stop when he chomped on her shield to lock them in place.

Instead of trying and shake him off, Sophitia flipped to her feet and brought him close, and then pressed her lips to his side. It looked to be an unprecedented move until the Swirlix's body began to glow and burn and he started screaming. It wasn't long before he detached, with a curse and a huff.

"Draining Kiss! You sly little witch," Victor shouted.

"Good. Now you guys know that the same tricks won't work twice," Sophitia replied.

"Don't get cocky. You just caught me off guard," Victor said. "Ha. Wait a minute. There he is. The star player."

"Star player?" Sophitia whispered. She did a double take once she realised that Lute was there. "Lute?"

He sighed now that all the attention was on him. Everyone seemed surprised, besides Esther who puffed out her cheeks and turned away. He slowly advanced and paid them little interest.

"Not another step. We brought back up just for you." Victoria pointed at him. But he didn't stop walking. "Hey, are you listening to me?"

"The big Pokémon in the centre? I'm not afraid of him," he said.

Victoria squinted. "Cocky since you damaged Storm, are you? You'll live to regret it if you carry on like that. Rhodeas, activate!"

Her words caused the Pokémon to stand taller, its claws and nails pulled into a stance. Lute stopped in place the moment it reacted, but he kept his eyes on it. He couldn't help himself. His breath became tenser and his heart picked up, and now his mind was trying to convince him that he wasn't afraid. This Pokémon was massive, and any one of its nails looked like it could pierce right through him.

"Lute, wait! That thing is powerful. Be more careful," Marina called out. Sophitia growled and leapt to his side with her shield out.

"I dunno what your plan is, but I'll ask you about it later," she said. She held her shield in front of them both.

"Not going to ask me why I'm here?" Lute asked after a moment.

"Not really the time, is it?" she glanced at him.

"Hmpf. You'll be in the way. Don't bother." He rolled his eyes.

"He's right, you know. This one is a V-Wave enhanced Risen, the finest Spirle has ever created," Victoria announced. Now Lute's eyes were wide. "A Golisopod is already a formidable Pokémon. Powered up through V-Waves, the very essence of Pokémon attacks and abilities... Rhodeas is legendary in power."

"If he's really so powerful, then why didn't you use him in the first place?" Phoenix challenged. Embers leaked from his mouth.

"Because—" Victor said, and then choked on his words. He turned to his partner with a nervous sweat. "Actually, he's got a good question. If we have this ultimate creature of destruction, why aren't we just using it to make life easy?"

"Victor, oh Victor. It is uncouth. Don't you know about keeping things exciting? We need push the limits of their disobedience," Victoria explained. "They could listen to us and make life easy, or they could struggle, and force us to have to use such a powerful weapon."

Weapon. There it was. That last word rung alarm bells in Lute's head, and brought him back to that livid focus he had brewed these past two weeks. That they spoke of a clearly living Pokémon this way, and were going to order it around like a pet. The idea disgusted him.

"Or, if investigations are anything to go by," Sophitia said. "This here is another of Spirle's prototype enhanced Risen. And this little scenario is your field test for it. You've never actually used this Risen in battle, have you? You have little idea of how it's going to perform."

The enemy fairies glared at her, making her snicker. "Looks like I was right."

"You can hype it up all you want, but it won't be enough to defeat me," Lute stated. He bared his fangs at it. "The things I'm capable of now, I couldn't possibly lose to something like this."

"Lute wait, that's not how it works," Marina gasped.

"That is how it works. You said it to me yourself!" he said.

"He's totally takin;' the gamble. If he's askin' for it, might as well give it to 'em," Victor said with a snicker.

"Rhodeas! Give him the First Impression. And don't hold back on it." Victoria pointed a wing.

Lute appeared focused, but his chest went into overdrive. He was frightened to the point he could throw up, but just about managed to stiffen and brace for the battle. That is, if the battle went the way he expected. His eyes were focused solely on the Golisopod and nothing else, not even his surroundings. So when it took one step forward and vanished from view, it was like a heart attack, where he had an instant to react before a crisis.

Rhodeas reappeared after it had struck him. It impacted Lute's neck with the space between its nails. There was a pause of time where all feeling disappeared from his body and a lifeless cry escaped his mouth alongside a wave of spit. Then the next thing he knew, his surroundings were blurring past him, followed by the sounds of crushing rock and destruction.

The others mouths hit the floor. They turned a few seconds after the attack had been delivered. Their reactions couldn't keep up. In the time span of a single breath, Lute had been struck so hard his body had gone through the walls of the house behind them. Looking through the holes left behind, he had gone further than that, knocked through all the walls of the house and out of sight.

"A-amazing," Victoria said on a staggered breath.

"Good Arceus, it freaking killed him. You killed him, dude!" Victor said.

"I-I-I didn't mean t-to, I had no idea Rhodeas had that kind of power?" Victoria replied, her voice a total flip of her confidence from earlier. Sophitia turned to them, a fear triggered by Victoria's sudden panic.

"What kind of weapon is this?" Phoenix glared at the Golisopod. It was still in the pose of when it struck Lute.

Contrary to everyone's concerns, Lute's body remained intact. He had gone through the house and his body had skidded to a halt as it rolled across the earth, leaving a deep ditch in its place. It had left him feeling numb and empty, almost like his whole being had turned to jelly.

But it had equally triggered exactly what he thought it would trigger. That robotic focus that transcended realistic feelings. Despite being struck so hard, he was conscious, and his mind could think of nothing other than that Golisopod. It was his target for assassination, and nothing else mattered.

With vision, hearing, and smell keen enough to track the creature from however far away he was, he stood up and braced himself. His body was bursting with energy for Pokémon attacks, so much that the air around him began to fluctuate, tiny rocks and mess floated around him. He erupted with a feral roar, and a gush of wind expanded the ditch around him. He abandoned it with an easy leap towards the battle with a faster Quick Attack than he had ever used.

"Wait, what's—" Victoria said. She squinted to look in Lute's direction. Rhodeas reacted with a cry of its own before she did.

Before anyone could realise what had happened, Lute's Quick Attack crashed into Rhodeas' arm and sent it back a few paces. It guarded the hit and pushed against him, but growled hard in effort. It didn't get a chance to try anything else however, as it looked over its armour briefly to see Lute crackling with electricity. His electric attack was launched right in Rhodeas' face, causing it to cry out and topple over.

"Wait, is that Lute?" Esther gasped; arms crossed over her front. Just those two attacks from him released so much force that wind whipped everyone's fur, those unaware knocked to their feet.

"Lute?" Sophitia whispered. His eyes had that same terrifying glow they had when he attempted to drown himself: empty, fizzling, and erratic.

Despite crackling with paralysis, Rhodeas got up and resumed a battle unlike anything anyone had ever seen. The Golisopod and Eevee moved at blinding speeds, Lute a blur of brown that darted to and fro to strike with Quick Attack, while Rhodeas tried to guard each hit with its armour. It was able to retaliate despite Lute's ferocity, slashing the air with its claws to set off sparks and force. Their battle was nothing short of violent ad bloodthirsty.

"You two, don't just stand there! Do something!. Or someone's going to get hurt!" Marina shouted at Victor and Victoria. The two fairies were in a daze, and replied with a horrified look.

"V-Victoria, you can command him to stop, right? I think it's safe to say he's going outta control," Victor said.

"I-I, u-um—" Victoria staggered said.

"Victoria! Before we lose our Risen!" he cried.

"I-I know, I got it, I got it. Rhodeas, return!" she called at the top of her voice.

It was no use. Attacks clashed and powerful moves flew all over the place, but everything came to a pause when the blade of a Razor Shell pierced Lute right through the middle of his waist. Lute was held up high from the blade, but it didn't deter him in the slightest. He didn't even make a sound of pain. Hung high up and at point blank range, Lute unleashed a huge orb of electricity directly into his enemy.

His attack freed him from the Razor Shell and brought Rhodeas to the floor. The Golisopod groaned and roared as volts seared through its body. By now, lots of ditches had formed, while nearby buildings had huge dents and burns where stray blasts had hit, some even damaged with holes in them.

But Lute didn't care. He watched the weakened Golisopod like a hunter waiting for their prey to stop struggling. Rhodeas eventually fell forward onto its claws. Only when its defeat was a certainty did Lute's eyes return to normal, and the energy surrounding him visually dissipated.

"Haven't you ever seen a paralysed Pokémon before?" he said. It took Victoria a moment to realise she was being spoken to, and she flinched when their eyes met. "Get out. And never come back."

She staggered and shivered, her eyes darting all over the place. "Is this... truly the power of the V Pockets?"

No one answered her, but once she saw Lute's impatient eyes again, she knew to move. She growled and flew over to her fallen comrade. "Victor! C'mon, we're out of here."

"Yeah," Victor said slowly. He looked over at everyone. "You might wanna put that thing on a leash."

They vanished in the light of an escape orb. For moments after they left, no one said a word. All was still besides the others getting to their feet, and eventually, the public gathering around. Lute spared all the townspokémon a glance, surprised by the wave of anger and fear plastered across their states. He froze when he spotted Lassic amongst them, who clapped slowly.

"You picked a good time to show up," Lute said.

"Your hostility is only natural. However, I assure you, it is unneeded," Lassic replied. "Let's take this inside. This isn't for the public to hear."

...

"What you saw was the results of how I programmed Lute. Back then, I was focused on ensuring that he would be the start of my revived family, so I took extra precautions to ensure that he couldn't be killed easily," Marina began. Everyone was sat around the dinner table. They had to ignore the giant holes in the walls. "To understand how this works is to understand what V-Waves are and how they work. V-Waves are the essence of Pokémon attacks and abilities, treated as a weather phenomenon."

Phoenix spoke up. "When the V-Wave favours a certain type of Pokémon, all Pokémon of that type experience a boost in energy and will find it easier to execute their moves and abilities. This is basic knowledge in Aseria."

Marina nodded. "And we now manipulate the V-Wave with programming, allowing us to create computers and other technology that can do all sorts of things. The V-Pocket is a living AI with a physical form made up entirely of V-Waves," Marina continued. "To ensure that Lute couldn't die easily, I gave him programming that focuses on the theme of 'Adaptability'. That happens to be a Pokémon ability, in case you're wondering."

"Adaptability?" Sophitia tilted her head.

"Lute's body is set to react to certain situations it is put under, and then bolster his abilities accordingly, absorbing all manner of surrounding V-Waves in attempt to adapt to the circumstances. In simple words, when Lute is in battle, his body will absorb V-Waves to power him up until he's strong enough to fight the foe or at least escape," Marina clarified. She began to draw a diagram with her paws. "This is what we just saw. In no circumstances should any Eevee have been able to tank the hit that Lute did. But he absorbed it, grew to match Rhodeas' strength, and then retaliated, suddenly having enough power to defeat Rhodeas."

"Because Rhodeas was so powerful, the strength we're talking about is... well," Sophitia said, a feeler on her chin. She gestured to the holes in the walls, and gulped.

"Exactly. You catch on fast. It can be destructive. I dread to say it, but possibly even godly. In theory, Lute is invincible," Marina said. "It even adapts to environmental changes. If he's underwater, he stops requiring oxygen. If he's in lava, his body will resist."

"Holy shit Marina, way to make him overpowered!" Esther cried.

"Can you at least talk as if I'm part of this conversation? You wanted me to be here," Lute said.

"Sorry. But like I said, my original aim was to revive my family, my husband first and foremost. If I had the chance to make you invulnerable, I took it," Marina reasoned. "But there are two things. You are in a 'natural state' almost constantly, like you are now. If something should knock you out at your current strength, it will. Your body won't adapt if you simply pass out, and whether you want it to or not, your body is programmed to be like a normal Pokémon inside and out. So carry on not eating, and you will pass out from hunger. Try not to sleep, and you will faint from fatigue."

Lute gave a gruff groan. He hadn't eaten a morsel in two weeks and felt fine, so he wasn't sure that that part was true. However, he had found himself passing out into long hours of sleep, where he had apparently snored, even. That felt like an obnoxious limitation beyond his control.

"Secondly, and most importantly... I built you with a failsafe." Marina shut her eyes.

"A... failsafe?" Phoenix said.

"As desperate as I was, I'm not so incompetent that I would create something like this and not have a way of stopping it should things get out of my control. So yes, you have a failsafe. A shutdown function. A forced 'off switch'," Marina revealed.

"So if you wanted to, I really am at your mercy," Lute said. Marina shook her head.

"I don't know if you'll ever listen or believe me ever again, but I mean it when I say that you're my son first and foremost before everything. And you never won't be," she said. "But, and this is the most hypothetical 'but' ever, if some extreme circumstance should ever occur and go wrong, I will power you off."

"A question. Is it possible that Lute's adaptability can yield new Pokémon attacks, too?" Sophitia asked. "We've seen you use that electric and psychic type attack a few times now, but I still can't put a paw on what moves they really are. The electric move instantly paralyses, and the psychic one puts up Light Screen."

"Yes. That would be caused by absorbing huge amounts of a specific type of V-Wave, particularly when that V-Wave is in use. If Lute spent extended amounts of time near an electric or psychic type when his adaptability activated, it would trigger unique moves using those two types," Marina said.

"Would that be because of me and Esther? All those times I used Helping Hand with you." Infia wondered.

"Oh yeah, right. And I guess Gen has a paw in it, too." Sophitia tilted her head. "Although, that begs to question, why no fairy or fire type move? Me and Phoenix have been with him way more than Gen. Did we just like, not resonate?"

"It's certainly possible. There are so many factors that play a role in it," Marina said. She cleared her throat. "My main reason for telling you this, though. Please Lute, for the love of Arceus, don't ever pull a stunt like that again. You can still get hurt very badly, you can still get knocked out, you can still die, and you can still feel pain. You have to look after yourself."

"And then what would've happened back there? Just let them kidnap you? And what does it matter if I get hurt, anyway? You just told everyone how powerful I am. If pain makes me stronger, then it doesn't matter," Lute said.

"By far, I am no longer the only one who will be hurt by seeing you in pain. I'm sure everyone here can agree that it's frustrating seeing you like this. I never meant for things to end up this way," Marina reasoned.

"But they have, and it's all because you decided to make me. Just like everything else wrong with this world. It's better I don't exist. I'm just another disposable tool in the grand scheme of things," Lute stated. "I could die, and nobody would care eventually. You can deny it all you want, but it's no secret truth."

"Lute, don't say awful things like that. I-if you died, we—" Infia whimpered.

"We're not having this conversation again. That's not why Lassic came here." Lute turned away.

"Actually, it is," the Delphox said. He got up and approached, and then to everyone's surprise, bowed down on his knees.

"Lassic?" Marina gasped.

"Please. Allow me to apologise for everything I have caused you, and for my disgusting display two weeks ago. On behalf of every King's Shield agent, and all our teams working on science and technology, we never meant for such a sinful turn of events," Lassic said. Lute expected to be disturbed as he spoke, but he felt a sense of genuine remorse instead. "And to know that you feel such a way after your experiences. We are entirely at fault. No amount of apology or respect will resolve this... but if there is anything we may do to repay you personally, please name it. We will see to it where realistically possible."

Lute didn't respond. He was actually speechless. He kept his mouth shut, but he half expected some kind of bad-taste joke to come out. There wasn't. Lassic remained bowed until he actually started to feel awkward about it. "Okay I get it. Get up. S-seeing you like this is just off-putting."

"Your service thus far has been phenomenal. To lose you as an ally over some hard feelings would be a critical loss to Aseria's safety," Lassic said.

"So you did come here for other reasons," he said.

"Only relating to duty, Lute. Scenarios like what we just experienced have become commonplace across Aseria. The evolved Risen are very powerful enemies, and the common public cannot deal with them. We could use you out there, fighting amongst your friends," Lassic said, paws tucked behind his back.

"I'll pass. We have our own thing to be doing, anyway," Lute said.

"What kind of attitude is that? Lassic of all Pokémon actually came out of his way to apologize and plead, and you're still gonna be a rude ass to him, too?" Esther cried. "When did you become such a- argh!"

"Lassic's only apologizing to get me to follow his orders again. It's no different from the rest," Lute argued.

"That's so that we can help Pokémon, though. Can't we just stay as agents so we can do good things?" Infia said.

"Keep your original goal in mind," Sophitia said, surprisingly calm. Lute glanced at her. "You just want to follow the legend at this point, right? So that we can become true heroes."

"And if Spirle get in the way of that, we'll knock them aside, like we always have," Lute nodded.

"But if we do that..." Esther said. She gulped and turned away. "Nothing. Forget it. Fine, we'll do this."

"Shall we consider your team off-duty, then? You can keep your status as agents, but unless an emergency occurs nearby, we will not call you. You need not report to us your activities either, unless related," Lassic said as he came to Lute's side. He crouched and gestured to pat him on the head. "Consider it a holiday. Take a load off for a while, okay? Go back to being an ordinary boy, and see how you feel after a while. A change of horizons and pace works wonders for clearing your head."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.3K 745 46
(Highest position in #pokemon: 140.) Hero. That word alone sparks many things in your head, doesn't it? A superhero? A hero awarded for doing somethi...
22.7K 1.3K 29
[Male Reader x Pokémon] The world of Pokémon. A world filled with monsters capable of mass destruction and violence. Somehow Humanity created a way t...
6.5K 782 56
A civilisation dependant on an ancient source of energy, the bestia, is soon to face an energy crisis. As the Pokémon of Heroica quickly deplete the...
3.7K 90 9
The world of Pokémon is a truly beautiful place to live as both Humans and Pokémon live together in harmony with each other. And those who wish to ba...