Chasing Charlie

By amodino

Travis and Charlotte. Just like two peas in a pod. Like peanut butter and jelly one cannot go without the oth... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25

Chapter 23

74 5 2
By amodino

"This is the one I got after my first surgery." The little boy pointed at his scar which was one big slash right across his belly.

We were at my dads hospital. Travis is actually with the kids who have Down syndrome. He's really good with kids, always have been.

"Woah. That's awesome Marcus! It must of hurt." I said as I sat down beside him.
Now Marcus here has stage 3 lung Cancer. He says it doesn't bother him anymore because he knows that he's going to get better. And lord I hope he will. He's such a good kid, so brave and so happy and full of life. I swear nothing can bring this kid down.

"Nah not really, Nurse Amy gave me a se-sedative. You know so it won't hurt." He said pulling his shirt down.

This almost makes me feel guilty. How can someone who's been through so much still manage to put a smile on their face? Me? I've been through a broken heart. Well that's nothing compared to what Marcus' been dealt. I'm not mad anymore or even sad. I'm just numb. I really cared about Shane. But I guess it's just wasn't meant to be. That's all in the past now and I've been trying to get over it.

"Charlie? Hello??" Marcus' little hand waved in front of my face.

I turned my attention back to the little boy smiling up at me.

"Yeah bud?" I ruffled his hair.

"Maybe next time we can play power rangers. I have a red one and a blue one. Sorry I don't have pink but I've been saving up so I can get one for you!" He said throwing his hands up in the air.

"Thank you Marcus I would love to play with you." I smiled and gave him a hug.

He hugged me back with his little arms coiling around my waist.

"Alright I gotta run. I'll see you soon okay?"

He nodded and waved at me.

I picked up my bag and walked towards the door.

I twisted the handle and turned around.
"Hey Marcus." I called out.

He looked up at me from his hospital bed.

"You know those marks on your belly? Don't think of them as just ordinary scars. Think of them as battle scars, you're on a mission and you're in war and all you have to do is kick the big C in the butt. "

He laughed when I said 'butt'.
I smiled and walked over to him.

"You are the bravest person I have ever known." I said and kissed his forehead.

He gave me a toothy grin and looked at me like I was some kind of magic fairy. I guess he kind of made me feel that way.

"I'll be on my way captain." I saluted him.

"At ease soldier." He saluted.

I chuckled and closed the door.

I was rooming around the hospital floors. Occasionally greeting the staff and patients.

I walked over to the office with the sign that said 'Dr. Winston'.
I adjusted the strap on my shoulder before knocking.

I heard a faint. "Come in."

"Hey dad."

He looked up from the paper work he was doing and gave me a warm smile. "Hey kiddo, how was it?" He said gesturing me to come in.

I walked over to him with a skip in my step.

"It was amazing dad. Incredible even. I feel like I can connect with the people here and because of them I know that the world isn't so bad after all." I smiled to myself. I noticed I've been doing that a lot lately despite everything.

"I'm so proud of you Char. I really am." My dad said as he came over and hugged me.

I hugged him back and sighed.

He pulled away from the hug and placed his hands on my shoulders.

"Now, there's this new song I've been hearing all over the radio and I can't shake it off my mind. I think it goes like, na na-na na waiting for you.. darlin don't be afraid.."

I flinched as he 'sang' the lyrics of 1000 years. I swear he can never get it right.

"Okay okay dad! It's 1000 years look it up on google." I laughed a little.

"Oh yeah, of course! Lol silly me, I'll surf the net because I'm cool like that." He said with his arms crossed in his attempt at a 'cool' pose.

My eye twitched. "I'm leaving! I'm leaving. See you latter bye!" I said speed walking towards the door.

"See you at home Char! TTYL!" He said just before I closed the door.

Oh god. Since when did my dad get upgraded? What is this iDad 5s??

Well let's hope not.

-------------

I walked towards the room Travis was in and as I came closer I heard his voice speaking softly.

" I can do so much more! Said the cat. Then he picked up the cake and the rake and put it on his hat.." Travis said holding up a story book.

I smiled and covered my mouth as I leaned against the door frame.

"But no! That's not all! Then he grabbed the hook! Then he grabbed the book! Three of them all stacked up high!" He said with facial expressions and little actions.
Which I found surprisingly adorable.

The kids laughed at him and I couldn't help but join in.

He caught me laughing and looked up at me.

I gave him a thumbs up with both hands. He chuckled and walked over.

"You saw that?" He looked at me sheepishly while rubbing the back of his neck.

"Some of it." I tilted my head side to side.
"I'm sorry kids but Travis has to go home." I said as we waved goodbye.

"Oh by the way! Nice reading dork." I chortled and shoved him playfully.

"Oh hush it I know you're just jealous." He smirked and put his arm around my waist and lead me out of the room.

I smacked it off, but he just placed his arm back. "You better not do that here or Ryan will-"

"Hey! Hands off O' Conner." Ryan said while pushing the wheelchairs back in the stands.

"Now you've done it!" I shrugged out of his hold and jogged over to Ryan.

"See ya at home okay?" I patted his shoulder and exited the hospital.

-----------

After we reached home I went up to my room while Travis was taking a shower. I immediately collapsed on my bed and pulled my phone out of my pocket and looked at the screen.

8 missed calls ,15 messages and 2 voice mails.

I opened the voice mails first.

"Hey it's Shane listen I'm so sorry. You know I didn't mean it right? It meant nothing to me. Give me another chance. Please I can make things right! Just please. Please. Call me back."

My hands trembled as I held the phone next to my ear. I can't believe him. After all he put me through he has the gall to ask me for a second chance?? I don't think so buddy.

I rolled my eyes and clicked the second voice mail.

"UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE! I AM GONE FOR NO LESS THAN A FEW WEEKS AND I MISS THIS MUCH?! OKAY OKAY I'M CALM BUT YOU ARE IN BIG TROUBLE! I CANT BELIEVE YOU LEFT ME OUT OF THIS! I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS! WELL CHARLOTTE I GOT FOUR WORDS FOR YOU! WE. NEED. TO. TALK!"

I flinched and turned my phone off. Not bothering to read the next horrifying messages.

I groaned and grabbed an overnight bag that I prepared in case for emergencies.

I swung it over my shoulder and trudged down the stairs.

"Charlie? Where are you going at this hour?" My mom had her hands on her hips.

"I was just-" I started.

"What's going on dear?" My dad came in with his laptop and glasses.

He glanced up at me. "Goin somewhere kid?"

I nodded my head tiredly.

"Okay be safe." He said and smiled.

"Well I best be off now." I nodded and walked towards the door.

"Where to exactly?" Mom asked.

I turned back around and sighed.

"To a sleepover with my angry, crazy, raging hormonal, bi polar, mood swinging, chocolate loving, pretzel eating, bowl of marshmallows, psychotic best friend who's probably going to kill me." I gave them a sweet Splenda smile.

They nodded their heads in understanding. "Ahh Nicky's back." They said in unison.

"Oh yes she is." I waved them goodbye and finally walked out the door.

I chuckled to myself as I drove to her house. I love Nicky but she can be crazy sometimes.

I walked up to the steps of her porch, rang the bell, and as I put my three fingers to my lips and raised them in the air like in "The Hunger Games" I walked in her house.

Well I'll see you on the other side.

Hi guys! I'm back! Yeah I know I haven't updated in like 10,000,000 years. BUT I have a good explanation. I was sick twice in the same month. I'm sick again. I've been studying for my exams because my school is really really really.. really hard. Just let that marinate for a few minutes.
Hope you enjoyed anyways.

ex oh! ex oh!
~Alanna~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1K 774 46
When your worst enemy ended up turning into the love of your life. Well, read and find out! (THIS IS ALL FICTIONAL!)
15K 544 36
In case you came here to read a happy story about a happy person having a happy life, I suggest you simply go read something else. This is not a happ...
51.3K 1.8K 84
"You can't say stuff like that" I mumble, and he chuckles. "And why cant I?". "Because we're friends" I say, reminding both him and myself. I dont mi...
222K 4.5K 47
When (y/n)'s best friend moves to New York leaving her alone with only her mom to get her through the last day of 6th grade. But when her and her mom...