Chapter 23

"This is the one I got after my first surgery." The little boy pointed at his scar which was one big slash right across his belly.

We were at my dads hospital. Travis is actually with the kids who have Down syndrome. He's really good with kids, always have been.

"Woah. That's awesome Marcus! It must of hurt." I said as I sat down beside him.
Now Marcus here has stage 3 lung Cancer. He says it doesn't bother him anymore because he knows that he's going to get better. And lord I hope he will. He's such a good kid, so brave and so happy and full of life. I swear nothing can bring this kid down.

"Nah not really, Nurse Amy gave me a se-sedative. You know so it won't hurt." He said pulling his shirt down.

This almost makes me feel guilty. How can someone who's been through so much still manage to put a smile on their face? Me? I've been through a broken heart. Well that's nothing compared to what Marcus' been dealt. I'm not mad anymore or even sad. I'm just numb. I really cared about Shane. But I guess it's just wasn't meant to be. That's all in the past now and I've been trying to get over it.

"Charlie? Hello??" Marcus' little hand waved in front of my face.

I turned my attention back to the little boy smiling up at me.

"Yeah bud?" I ruffled his hair.

"Maybe next time we can play power rangers. I have a red one and a blue one. Sorry I don't have pink but I've been saving up so I can get one for you!" He said throwing his hands up in the air.

"Thank you Marcus I would love to play with you." I smiled and gave him a hug.

He hugged me back with his little arms coiling around my waist.

"Alright I gotta run. I'll see you soon okay?"

He nodded and waved at me.

I picked up my bag and walked towards the door.

I twisted the handle and turned around.
"Hey Marcus." I called out.

He looked up at me from his hospital bed.

"You know those marks on your belly? Don't think of them as just ordinary scars. Think of them as battle scars, you're on a mission and you're in war and all you have to do is kick the big C in the butt. "

He laughed when I said 'butt'.
I smiled and walked over to him.

"You are the bravest person I have ever known." I said and kissed his forehead.

He gave me a toothy grin and looked at me like I was some kind of magic fairy. I guess he kind of made me feel that way.

"I'll be on my way captain." I saluted him.

"At ease soldier." He saluted.

I chuckled and closed the door.

I was rooming around the hospital floors. Occasionally greeting the staff and patients.

I walked over to the office with the sign that said 'Dr. Winston'.
I adjusted the strap on my shoulder before knocking.

I heard a faint. "Come in."

"Hey dad."

He looked up from the paper work he was doing and gave me a warm smile. "Hey kiddo, how was it?" He said gesturing me to come in.

I walked over to him with a skip in my step.

"It was amazing dad. Incredible even. I feel like I can connect with the people here and because of them I know that the world isn't so bad after all." I smiled to myself. I noticed I've been doing that a lot lately despite everything.