The Boy Who Loved The Girl Ne...

Por big_poppa123

Richard "Ricky" Andrews. The young brother of Archie Andrews was known by everyone in Riverdale as 'the sweet... Más

Cast
2. A Touch of Evil
3. Body Double
4. The Last Picture Show
5. Heart of Darkness
6. Faster, Pussycats! Kill! Kill!
7. In a Lonely Place
8. The Outsiders
9. La Grande Illusion
10. The Lost Weekend
11. To Riverdale and Back Again
12. Anatomy of a Murder
13. The Sweet Hereafter
14. A Kiss Before Dying
15. Nighthawks
16. The Watcher in the Woods
17. The Town That Dreaded Sundown
18. When A Stranger Calls
19. Death Proof
20. Tales from the Darkside
21. House of The Devil
22. Silent Night, Deadly Night
23. The Blackboard Jungle
24. The Wrestler
25. The Wicked and The Divine
26. The Tell-Tale Heart
27. The Hills Have Eyes
28. There Will Be Blood
29. Primary Colors
30. The Noose Tightens
31. A Night To Remember
32. Prisoners
33. Shadow of a Doubt
34. Judgement Night

1. The River's Edge

8.9K 142 76
Por big_poppa123

//

"Our story is about a town, a small town, and the people who live in the town. From a distance, it presents itself like so many other small towns all over the world Safe. Decent. Innocent. Get closer, though, and you start seeing the shadows underneath. The name of our town is Riverdale. And our story begins, I guess, with what the Blossom twins did this summer. On the Fourth of July, just after dawn, Jason and Cheryl Blossom drove out to Sweetwater River for an early morning boat ride. The next thing we know happened for sure is that Dilton Doiley, who was leading Riverdale's Boy Scout Troop on a bird watching expedition, came upon Cheryl by the river's edge. Riverdale Police dragged Sweetwater River for Jason's body, but never found it. So a week later, the Blossom family buried an empty casket and Jason's death was ruled an accident, as the story that Cheryl told made the rounds. That Cheryl dropped a glove in the water, and Jason reached down to get it, and accidentally tipped the boat, and panicked, and drowned. As for us, we were still talking about the 'July Fourth tragedy' on the last day of summer vacation, when a new mystery rolled into town."

Ricky Andrews sat at the dining table, fidgeting with his pencil as his friend from school scribbled an answer down on the paper.

"Okay," Moose Mason said softly. "What's next?"

Ricky groaned. "What's next is you go home and I enjoy my last day of summer not helping you out with math," he answered.

"Come on, Andrews. I only have three math problems left and then I'm done with summer school."

"It's not that hard," Ricky argued. "Can't you get Midge to help you?"

"She doesn't understand any better than I do. You're the genius here," Moose replied.

"Not a genius," Ricky mumbled before trying to show Moose how to the steps on the math problem.

Ricky Andrews. He was the smartest boy in his family. Skipping 5th grade to going to 6th grade, he was in classes that were ahead of his grade level, mostly in his older brother's classes. As of tomorrow, Ricky would be considered a sophomore even though most people around his age would be a freshman.

"Okay, check my answer," Moose answered to Ricky who had told him to practice the last problem on his own.

Ricky looked over his paper. "Your steps are right and your answer is almost right."

"Almost?" Moose questioned.

Ricky grabbed the pencil, circling his answer. "You need to round it down. The problem's talking about money. After the decimal, you wrote four numbers after it. When it comes to money, like, cents, you only have-"

"Two numbers," Moose answered, erasing his last two digits.

"Round it and you're done," Ricky answered.

Moose did so, getting the right answer. "Damn, Andrews. You're a genius."

Ricky's dad, Fred Andrews rounded the corner with a mug in his hands. "Well, he did skip a grade ahead and is taking honor's classes this year," he stated.

Ricky sighed. "Dad," he said. He didn't like to brag about being smart or anything related to that topic.

"He's not wrong," Moose added, packing up his stuff. "You're smarter than most of the kids in our grade. Thanks for the help, Ricky."

"Yeah," Ricky said, stretching as Moose exited the house. "Just how I want to spend my last day of summer..." he muttered, slouching back in the chair, going limp.

"You still have time to do something you want," Fred stated to his youngest son as his eldest son Archie came downstairs.

"Are you complaining again about how you spent the summer?" Archie Andrews asked his little brother.

Archie was always close to Ricky since the day he was born. When he was five and Ricky was four, a boy from Ricky's preschool picked Ricky to which Archie pushed the boy away and told him to 'leave his baby brother alone'. Ever since then, Archie swore to be the best big brother to Ricky. The two Andrews boys grew closer when Ricky got moved up to Archie's six-grade class and since then, they've had the same classes and even hung out with the same kids.

"You know me too well," Ricky told Archie.

"If you want, you can go to Pop's with Betty and I," Archie suggested.

Betty Cooper was the girl who lived next door to the Andrews since kindergarten. She was friends with both Archie and Ricky from the start but since middle school, Betty began to crush on Archie. Betty's friends Ricky and Kevin Keller only knew this. Ricky did have a crush on Betty in middle school but it faded once she told him she liked his older brother.

And tonight was the night that Betty was going to confess how she felt about Archie and Ricky didn't want to be the third wheel.

"No thanks," Ricky replied, standing up. "I'll just go see if Jughead is working at the drive-in tonight. But I'll probably stop at Pop's for dinner."

At the mention of Jughead, Archie's expression had fallen. "Okay. Tell him I said 'hi'."

Ricky nodded, leaving but not before bidding his dad goodbye.

***

Truth be told, Ricky did text Jughead to see if he was working tonight but he didn't answer back. Ricky didn't know if Jug was still pissed about the fourth of July trip being canceled or was just too busy to answer. Because Jughead still talked to Ricky (Archie-not so much) he only assumed it was the latter.

So he went to Pop's.

He would casually sit and eat from afar while making sure Betty confessed her feelings to Archie.

Ricky did love Archie since he was his brother next to Jug, but he could be so oblivious.

As Ricky walked to Pop's, he felt a hand tap his shoulder. "Excuse me."

Ricky turned to see a beautiful raven-haired girl with a black cape that resembled red riding hood's cape.

"Yes?" Ricky questioned.

"Can you point me in the direction of Pop's Chock'lit Shoppe?" she asked.

"Of course. I'm on my way now," Ricky tells her causing her to walk by his side. "I'm Ricky. Ricky Andrews," he told her.

"Veronica Lodge," she introduced.

Lodge. That was a very familiar name that went all through Riverdale.

"So Veronica, I've never seen you in Riverdale. Are you new?" Ricky asked.

"I am. My mom and I just moved from New York."

"I always wanted to go there."

"It's not as nice as you would think," she answered with a chuckle.

Ricky ran a hand through his hair as he tried to think of something to say. "For a small town, Riverdale is quite all right." We finally arrived at Pop's. "Here we are."

"Thank you for the escort," Veronica said with a little bow.

Ricky nodded, but looked through Pop's window, he spotted his brother and best friend sitting at a table. Ricky didn't know why, but the way Betty was smiling and blushing at Archie, left an uncomfortable feeling in his stomach.

"Oh, is that your girlfriend?" Veronica pointed out, noticing Ricky watch Archie and Betty.

"No, my best friends," Ricky admits. "They like each other but aren't necessarily dating. I had a plan to stake them out and make sure everything runs smoothly. Weird, right?" Ricky asked with a nervous laugh.

"No, it just means you care about your friends, Ricky." Veronica looked to Ricky with a glint in her eyes. "Come in after me," she told him before entering Pop's.

Ricky stuffed his hands in his pockets as he watched through the window as Veronica talked with Pop Tate before looking to Archie and Betty. At this point, Ricky got tired of waiting and went inside Pop's. Trying to look casual, he ordered his usual milkshake at the counter and glanced behind him.

"Ricky," Veronica called before reaching and grabbing his arm, pulling him to Archie's table. "You're a sophomore too?"

"You know Ricky?" Betty asked with uneasiness in her tone.

Ricky nodded. "Yeah, we just met like three minutes ago," he chuckled before answering Veronica's question. "I am a sophomore. I go to school with them," Ricky tells her with a smile and he didn't mind how she still held onto his arm.

Ricky didn't notice Betty narrowing her eyes at Veronica's hand.

"I am too. I'm filled with dread," Veronica stated.

"Why is that?" Archie questioned.

"Are you familiar with the works of Truman Capote?" Ricky nodded as did Archie. Ricky was the one who made him read his books. "I'm Breakfast at Tiffany's, but this place is strictly In Cold Blood."

Ricky laughed at this as did Archie and apparently, Betty noticed this because she pulled a weird look.

"Veronica Lodge," she introduced herself to my friends.

"Archie Andrews," Archie said before swiping Ricky's arm. "You already know my little brother." He looked at Betty. "Uh, this is Betty Cooper."

Veronica looked at Betty. "Wait, are you-"

"Supposed to give you your tour tomorrow?" Betty asked with a forced smile. "Yes. I'm your peer mentor."

"Do you want to join us?" Archie asked Veronica. "Hey, maybe we can un-fill you with dread."

"My mom's waiting for me. But, to be continued," she said as she was handed her food. "Bye, Ricky."

"Later, Veronica," Ricky told the girl before looking to the redhead and blond. "It's been a lovely evening with you folks, but I got a milkshake to attend to." Ricky turned back to the counter, grabbing his double chocolate dessert.

"Hey, Ricky, since you're here now, why don't you join us?" Archie asked. He always wanted his brother to feel included.

Ricky glanced at Betty. "Nah, I wouldn't want to impose. It's supposed to be you guys hanging out."

"No, Archie's right," Betty said. "We would love to have you join us," she told Ricky as Archie scooted over closer to the window.

Ricky grinned, sitting down next to Archie with my milkshake. "Thanks, guys."

"Of course," Archie answered before turned back to Betty. "What were you saying?"

"Nothing," Betty replied quickly. "So Ricky, you and Veronica already seem close," she changed the subject.

"Not really, she just wanted the directions for Pop's. She seems pretty cool," Ricky admits.

"Yeah, she does, doesn't she?" Archie mumbled though Ricky heard him.

***

Ricky and Archie hurried around the house because Archie forgot to set his alarm and wake Ricky up.

"Hey, Dad. First day of school and I'm already late," Archie announced.

Ricky got on the floor in front of his dog. "Hey, Vegas," he said, scratching behind his ears to which Vegas nudged his hand with his nose.

Archie lightly kicked Ricky's leg. "Hey, come on."

Ricky quickly stood up, slinging his backpack on before plopping on the couch to slip on his Vans.

"Hey, you, uh, you boys stopping by the site later?" Fred asked his sons.

Ricky nodded. "I will. After school," he answered.

"Dad, it's my first day," Archie answered. 

"Oh, we got to get you going in the office, so next summer you're not on the crew," Fred told his oldest son.

"Well, I can't. I've got football tryouts,"  Archie replied. "Or is that not okay?"

"No, it's, uh, It's okay," Fred told him. "Good luck."

"Bye, Dad," Ricky told him, going out the front door with Archie.

"Bye, son," Fred answered.

***

Ricky closed his locker shut before seeing one of his friends down the hall which he hurried after him. "Kevin Keller, where have you been?" Ricky asked with a nudge.

"I've been walking, Ricky Andrews," he sassily stated.

Ricky rolled his eyes. "Have you seen Betty yet?"

"No, because isn't she suppose to be doing that student mentor thing?"

"Right, I forgot about that," Ricky admits, then spotting Betty walking Veronica, the girl from the night before. "Well, speak of the angel."

"Isn't it speak of the devil, Rick?" Kevin corrected Ricky who approached the two girls.

"In Betty's case you know it's the angel, not the devil."

As the two boys got closer, Veronica asked, "So what's the social scene like here? Any night clubs?"

"A strip club called the Ho Zone and a tragic gay bar called Innuendo," Kevin told her.

"Friday nights, football games and then tailgate parties at the Mallmart parking lot," Ricky added to Kevin.

"Saturday night is movie night, regardless of what's playing at the Bijou."

"And you better get there early, because we don't have reserved seating in Riverdale. And Sunday nights-"

"Thank God for HBO," Kev finished off, throwing an arm around Ricky.

Ricky high-fived Kevin. "That was super smooth."

Betty looked at Kevin. "Veronica Lodge, Kevin Keller. Veronica's new here. Kevin is-"

"Gay," Veronica said sticking her hand out, shaking hands with Kev. "Thank God. Let's be best friends."

Betty looked at Ricky. "And Veronica, you remember-"

"Ricky, of course, I remember you," Veronica smiled.

"Hey, nice to see you again, Veronica," Ricky greeted and smiled.

Another look that Ricky didn't notice from Betty.

"Is it true what they say about your dad?" Kev questioned, but quieted down when Ricky and Betty sent him a look.

"That he's the devil incarnate? I stand by my father. Does everyone here know?" Veronica questioned.

"Um..." Ricky trailed off.

"Wonderful," she sighed. "Ten minutes in and I'm already the Blue Jasmine of Riverdale High," she sighed, walking away.

Ricky sent Kevin a look, slightly hitting his arm. "What?" Kevin asked.

After that, Betty lead Veronica down the hall while Ricky and Kev followed, pointing out small things.

"Oh, and of course there's the Back-to-School semiformal dance this weekend-" Betty stated before Veronica stopped her down the hall.

"There's the hottie we were with last night," Veronica said as they both watched Archie. "The red-headed Ansel Elgort. Is he your boyfriend?" he asked Betty.

Kev, Betty, and Ricky had different responses.

"No, he's straight."

"No, we're just friends."

"No, he's not my type."

Betty sent Ricky a small smile at his response before Veronica stepped forward. "In that case, mind putting in a word? I've tried every flavor of boy but orange."

Kev stopped her. "Actually, to clarify Betty and Archie aren't dating, but they are endgame."

Ricky stayed silent since he felt his stomach do uncomfortable twists like rope in his stomach, still unknown to him why.

"You should ask him to the semiformal then," Veronica stated.

"She should, but I heard it might be getting canceled. Because of what happened to Jason. They're gonna tell us at the assembly."

"Who's Jason and what happened to him?"

"Long story," Ricky tells her. "I'll give you the details you need to know."

***

Shortly, everyone was in the auditorium, listening to Riverdale High's queen bee, Cheryl Blossom wearing all black and standing at a podium.

"Thank you for that moment of silence," Cheryl told the crowd at the assembly. "Many of you were lucky enough to have known my brother personally. Each and every one of you meant the world to Jason."

Ricky felt Betty right next to him tense at Cheryl's words.

Ricky would usually sit with Jughead or Archie but Veronica insisted that he sits with them.

Of course, he knew the story of what happened to Betty's sister, Polly, and Jason.

Ricky placed his hand over Betty's that were beginning to curl into fists.

"You okay?" Ricky whispered to her.

Her facial features relaxed then sending him a small smile and nodding before sending a light squeeze to his hand, but didn't let go.

"...I loved my brother," Cheryl continued. "He was and always will be my soulmate. So I speak with the confidence only a twin could have. Jason wouldn't want us to spend the year mourning. Jason would want us to move on with our lives. Which is why I've asked the School Board not to cancel the Back-to-School semiformal." The audience cheered. "But rather, to let us use it as a way to heal, collectively, and celebrate my brother's too, too short life on this mortal coil. Thank you all."

Everyone clapped, but Ricky noticed how tense Betty still was.

And when he glanced around to look for his brother, Archie was rows below him, his eyes glued to the music teacher, Mrs. Grundy.

***

It was finally lunch and though Ricky was looking for Jughead, he decided to sit with his other friends which he listened to his brother play music that he wrote on his laptop.

Ricky was surprised when Archie had told him he wanted to try and write songs. Archie was always the one to love sports while Ricky loved music.

Not only was Ricky the smartest in his family but he's been singing since he was three-years-old, belting out songs that his dad would listen to, even tapping a good rhythm to music on the toy bongos his mom got him. His voice grew better once he reached middle school. Betty would call him Justin Bieber copycat.

Ricky and Archie weren't the only Andrews family members who wanted to play music, Fred Andrews was in a band around their age.

Ricky listened to the song and Archie's tone in the song. It wasn't bad especially this being his first actual song.

Ricky's eyes moved over to see Kevin and Betty's reaction. But the way Betty was looking at Archie while his song was playing made Ricky's chest burn and stomach twist.

"Can I join?" Veronica asked, walking over.

Archie closed his laptop as Betty answered, "Yeah."

She took a seat beside Ricky and asked, "What are we doing?"

Listening to one of Archie's songs," Betty stated proudly.

"I thought we were going to have to pretend to like it, but it's actually really good," Kevin stated.

Ricky nudged him. "Kev, he's right there," he motioned to his brother in front of them.

"Wait, that was you singing?" Veronica asked. "Something you wrote?"

"It's rough," Archie said.

"No, it's great," Ricky argued. "Not bad."

"It's incredible, actually, the little snippet I heard. Is that your thing? Music? Are you doing something with that?" Veronica asked.

"Yeah, that's the plan," Archie answered. "So how's your first day going? Good?"

"Not to be a complete narcissist, but I thought people would be more-"

"Obsessed with you?" Kevin finished. "Any other year, you'd be trending number one, for sure. This year, though, it's all about Cheryl trying to win the Best Supporting Psycho Oscar for her role as Riverdale High's bereaved Red Widow."

Ricky paused. "Yeah, I'm not adding onto that. I've been on good terms with Cheryl."

"Hey, I should go. I got that meeting with Grundy and then football tryouts, so," Archie stood up, leaving.

"You play football, too?" Veronica remarked. "What don't you do?"

"Before you ask, Blue Jasmine, no, she has not invited him to the dance yet-" Kevin said but was cut off by Betty.

"Not yet, and don't talk about Archie," she hissed as Cheryl Blossom approached.

"Veronica Lodge," Cheryl said in a fake cheery tone, a smile across her fiery red lips. "I'd heard whisperings. I'm Cheryl Blossom, may I sit?" She didn't wait for an answer as she looked to the blond girl. "Betty, would you mind?" Betty reluctantly scooted over, sending Ricky a look of help. "So, what are you four hens gossiping about? Archie and Ricky's Efron-esque emergence from the chrysalis of puberty?"

Ricky blushed but smiled regardless. "Cheryl, I'm right here."

"That was the point, baby," Cheryl said, gliding her tongue across her red lips.

Betty shook her head at Veronica.

"Extracurriculars," Veronica lied. "Weatherbee wants me to sign up for a few."

"Cheerleading," Cheryl stated. "You must. I'm senior captain of the River Vixens," she said, pushing her hair to the side.

"Is cheerleading still a thing?" Kevin remarked.

"Is being the Gay Best Friend still a thing?" Cheryl sassed towards him. Kevin shared an annoyed look with Ricky and Betty as Cheryl looked back to Veronica with a smile again. "Some people say it's retro, I say it's eternal and iconic."

"At Spence, I sat at the top of the Elites' pyramid. I'm in. Betty, you're trying out, too."

"Of course, anyone's welcome to try out." Cheryl looked to Betty, looking down at her lunch. "But Betty's already got so much on her plate right now." Ricky frowned at that, furrowing his eyebrows at what she was trying to imply before she looked back to Veronica. "And being a Vixen is kind of a full-time thing. But open to all!" She stood up. "Follow me on Twitter and I'll do the same. My handle is @cherylbombshell."

Once she walked away, Ricky spoke up, "She's not that bad once you get to actually know her. She's pretty great."

"Yeah, so are mountain lions but you don't pet it," Kevin sassed.

Veronica spoke, "Okay. Go ahead and hate on cheerleading, but if Hipster Prince Harry-"

Betty cut Veronica off. "I'd love to be a cheerleader. It would look great on my college applications. But last year, when I tried out, Cheryl said I was too fat."

Ricky did remember that. Cheryl always managed to deliver painful, excruciating insults when it came to any members of the Cooper family.

"'Too season 5 Betty Draper'," Kev recalled. "It was a great line."

"Dude," Ricky said in a scolding tone.

"...But not at all true."

Veronica spoke as Ricky began to sip his water, "Well, you're a total smoke show now. I mean it. Right, Riccardo?"

Ricky coughed up his water at the sudden question, quickly wiping his mouth with his shirtless before answering, "Yeah. Betty Cooper is gorgeous and not to mention, a freaking genius."

Betty smiled at his words.

"So, as hot and as smart as you are, you should be the Queen Bey of this drab hive. Look, if you want to be a River Vixen, I'll help you prep. I have moves," Veronica continued.

"Okay. You know what? Show me your moves," Betty agreed.

"Good, now Ricky," Veronica turned to Ricky. "I'll be totally happy if you come to see us try out."

Ricky nodded. "Can't, I promised one of my friends that we'd work on some music lyrics but let me know how it goes."

"Will do."

***

By free period, Ricky sat at the piano, pressing the keys lightly.

"They wanna know know know
Your name name name
They want the girl girl girl
With game game game
And when they look look look
Your way way way
Your gonna make make make
Make 'em do a double-take," Ricky sang.

McKenzie Parker nodded beside him. "That's good but try a different tempo. A bit more upbeat," she stated, moving her fingers across the keys.

McKenzie Parker was Ricky's friend since middle school. She was a year older than him but in the same grade. She knew music like he did, it's why they got along so well.

"Even better," Ricky complimented. "This is why you're the Ally to my Austin."

"Sure," McKenzie agreed. "Difference through, I don't have stage fright."

"And you don't like me."

McKenzie scoffed, nudging him. "You shut up. I do like you, dingus."

"Good."

McKenzie paused. "So the homecoming dance is coming up, are you going?"

"Maybe," Ricky answered. "Though I might be alone because I'm pretty sure Archie's taking Betty and Jughead doesn't like dances."

"And the new girl?" McKenzie asked.

"She's gorgeous. She'll find a date easily." Ricky licked his lips. "I might ask Kevin. It'll be a friendscoming."

McKenzie chuckled. "Well, if Kevin already has a date, I give you permission to ask me."

Ricky scoffed but smiled. "Oh, you'll 'give me permission'?"

McKenzie grinned. "Yeah and because I'm kind I'll give you permission."

"Oh, such an honor."

"It is an honor. You should be thanking me," McKenzie joked.

A knock on the door made them jump as they saw Mrs. Grundy come in. "Sorry, am I interrupting?" she asked.

Both of them scrambled to get up. "Uh, no," McKenzie answered.

"We were just working on a song," Ricky added.

"Okay, well. You're welcome to come in any time," Mrs. Grundy stated, eyeing Ricky like the way a hunter eyes its prey.

But he didn't notice. He only nodded as he walked out with McKenzie, "Good to know. Thanks."

***

Ricky sat at the bleachers by himself after school was over. He wanted to see how Archie was doing with football try-outs before going to visit his dad at the construction site.

"Hey," someone spoke. It was Kevin. "What are you still doing here?"

"Uh," Ricky began, closing his geometry homework. "Checking on my brother's football skills. What about you?"

"I still have the semi-formal to work on," Kevin answered, plopping beside Ricky.

"Oh yeah. Have you gotten a date yet?"

Kevin scoffed. "No. Though I do have my eye on someone. How about you? Does baby Richard Andrews have a date for the dance?"

Ricky shook his head. "Don't need a date. I love myself and nobody else," he sassed.

"Too bad. I was going to ask if you wanted to go as friends."

Ricky's eyes shimmered in appreciation. "You know what? I'll make an exception just for you, Kev."

"Aw, you love me!" Kev gasped.

"Of course I do, that's not anything new," Ricky laughed. "What time does it start?"

"Eight. Do you want me to pick you up?" he asked.

"No, let's just meet up in the auditorium."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. McKenzie might join us for our friendscoming."

"Friendscoming?" Kevin asked. "I like that." He stood up. "Okay. Well, I still have the dance to work on." He stood up, patting Ricky's knee. "See you tonight."

"See you, Kev," Ricky told him as he left.

Ricky was about to get back to homework when something sparked his interest. Betty and Veronica walking down the track in their cheerleading uniforms.

Ricky smiled to himself as he got a full look at Betty.

She made the team.

And she looks beautiful.

Archie jogged over to them, words were exchanged before he ran back to the field and there was an over-excited Betty Cooper.

Ricky slung his backpack on and walked down the bleachers and down to them. "Wow, you two look happy," Ricky noted.

"Yeah, well not only are we two new river vixens, but we-Betty also got a date to the dance with the one and only Archie Andrews," Veronica stated.

Ricky wanted to be happy for Betty, he really wanted to be, but the thought of Betty dating Archie made him sad and he didn't know why. They're his best friends so he should be supportive, right?

"Congrats, Betty," Ricky swallowed back his sadness and smiled. "You finally asked out Archie."

"Well, I mean it's not a date," she mumbled.

"Doesn't matter, you guys are going together."

She was happy and so excited so Ricky couldn't be sad at that.

***

Later after Fred and Ricky got home from the site, so did Archie.

Archie strummed his guitar while Ricky sat across from him.

"What do you think?" Archie asked Ricky after he finished playing.

"It's great," Ricky admits. "But goes softer on the E and A chord. It gets kind off beat when you use the strings often than the others."

Archie nodded, strumming the way he was told. "Like that."

"Better."

Fred came outside. He turned to Archie. "I, um, I got a call from your coach today. He's under the impression that you can't play varsity football because I'm making you work for me. Which is odd, because you made it seem like you couldn't work for me because you were playing football. So my first question is Who are you lying to? Me or your coach?"

"Neither," Archie answered before sighing. "Both. Dad, I want to study music, I want to write music."

"Football takes you to college," Fred stated. "College takes you to business school. Business school-"

"Takes me back here. To work for you in Riverdale," Archie replied, Not understanding why Fred didn't have a problem with Ricky studying music for so long.

"Not for me, with me. And eventually for yourself, son. The company would be yours."

"No disrespect, Dad, but I don't want it."

"Three months ago, you did. You told me," Ricky stated, butting into the conversation, also confused. "What happened?"

"I've changed. Everything's changed. This summer..."

"This summer what?" Fred asked. Archie didn't answer but Ricky could see he was hiding something. "That's it? We don't talk anymore?"

Fred began to walk inside until Archie spoke, "Dad."

Fred turned back to him. "I would never force you to play football. I don't care if you play football. And you don't have to work with me or for me, ever again. But some advice, man-to-man? These decisions that you're making now, son, they have consequences. They go on to form who you are and who you'll become. Whatever you decide, be confident enough in it that you don't have to lie."

***

A few days later, Ricky showed up to the dance. McKenzie decided that since Kevin was going with Ricky, she wasn't needed.

He managed to get a suit for the dance and meet Kevin there who he saw was getting some punch.

Ricky tapped his shoulder. "You look great, Kevin," he complimented.

"And you just look like a snack, Richard," he replied back with a smile.

"Honestly, when do I not?" Ricky replied with a chuckle before he noticed Jason Blossom's picture being hung up. "What do you know? He truly is watching down on us."

"Courtesy of Cheryl Blossom: the bereaved Red Widow."

Ricky laughed. "You know when I thought about coming here, I thought this dance was going to be hell," he began to fill up a cup with punch.

"And?"

"It's not so bad. Because I have you with me."

"You have to probably spend a minute without me. I have to run to the restroom," he said before walking away.

And Ricky was alone. Until Reggie Mantle approached.

"Hey, little Andrews. Gonna spice up the punch a bit," Reggie said, showing Ricky a flask that was no doubt filled with booze. "You wanna sip before it goes into the punch bowl."

"Reggie, you know I don't do that stuff," Ricky replied.

"What? Scared you're going to look like a drunk idiot?" Reggie asked.

"No. Well, actually, yes but I don't need the hangover."

Reggie laughed. "Suit yourself." He walked away. "More for me and Moose."

Ricky turned towards the entrance to see Veronica, Archie and Betty come in the auditorium, all of them were conjoined at the arms.

They all looked great. Veronica looked beautiful, but Betty was gorgeous.

Her usual hair that stayed in her iconic ponytail was now down and wavy against her shoulders. She wore a pink flowy dress that seemed so perfect on her.

That's exactly what Betty was.

Perfect.

Ricky noticed Veronica walked away from Archie and Betty, leaving them alone and come towards where Ricky was standing at the punch table.

"Hey, Veronica," Ricky greeted.

Veronica smiled, grabbing a cup. "Ricky! What are you doing here? I thought you said you weren't going to the dance."

"I wasn't but Kevin is here with me. So we came as the friendship duo everyone wished they had."

Veronica laughed. "If I would've known that you were coming, I would've asked you to be my date."

"Maybe next time." His eyes trailed her over. "You look amazing."

"Thank you, you look great too." She filled her cup up. "I'm mainly here to bring those two together," she motioned to an area.

Ricky saw Betty and Archie talk in the middle of the dance floor until Archie walked away to Mrs. Grundy leaving Betty alone.

Ricky throws his cup away before looking at Veronica. "Excuse me for a minute." Ricky walked away and head towards Betty. "Wow," Ricky says, getting her attention, grabbing her hands. "You look...beautiful."

Betty smiled. "You look handsome, Ricky."

Ricky felt his cheeks burn up at that but just shook it off. "So how's your night going?" he asked.

"It's going good," she answered.

Before Ricky could say anything else, Kevin came over. "Guys, you will not believe who just propositioned me in the bathroom. Give you a hint: his name may be Moose, but I'd describe a certain appendage of his as horse-like."

"Oh my God, Moose?" Ricky asked.

"Don't judge, Ricky."

"I can't help it, Kev. Moose? The guy I've known since eighth grade. That Moose?"

Betty nudged him. "Be happy for him, Ricky."

"I just have no words," he replied before turning to Betty, changing the topic. "Are you okay being here?"

"I'm just waiting for Archie..."

"Okay," he answered before turning to Kevin, grabbing his hand. "Come dance with me. We've been practicing this for days."

Ricky pulled him to the dance floor to see him staring after Moose who was spiking the punch in a flask with Reggie.

Cheryl came up to the stage. "Good evening, friends. Are you all having a good time?" The crowd cheered. "As honorary chairperson and de facto queen of tonight's semiformal, it is my great pleasure to introduce this evening's main entertainment. To know them is to be obsessed with them. Though they usually perform their own material, tonight, they're making an exception and debuting a cover of the song my parents claim they were listening to the night Jason and I were conceived. This one's for you, JJ. I give you Josie and the Pussycats."

The crowd cheered as the Pussycats cane on stage. Kevin held a hand out to me. "Shall we?"

Not caring what anyone else thought, "Good sir," Ricky replied back as he puts his hands on Kevin's waist and Kevin's go on Ricky's shoulders.

"Look, our Betty is growing up so fast," Kevin spoke and looked down the dance floor as we swayed to the music.

Ricky looked to what he's seeing and see Betty dancing with Archie.

Kevin moves them closer to Betty and Archie and once Archie had his back turned, Kevin and Ricky mouthed words of encouragement.

Ricky still didn't understand why it hurt him to see Betty with Archie, but he still wanted his best friend to be happy so he swallowed down whatever he was feeling.

"What's with that face for?" Kevin questioned.

Ricky turned back to him. "What?" he asked.

"You watch them and you look so...pained."

"I don't know, Kev. I mean I just have my doubts about them being together."

"Why? You're the one that started shipping them."

"I know, but-" Ricky cuts himself off with a sigh. "I don't know."

Ricky glanced back at his best friends to see Betty pull away from Archie with a disappointed expression and Archie's gaze looking towards Mrs. Grundy.

Ricky had his suspicions about that look Archie gave the music teacher-he developed a theory.

But it had to be wrong. It was his big brother, someone he looked up to, he had to be wrong.

Right?

***

After the dance, Kevin dropped Ricky off at Cheryl's home for the after-party, claiming that he needed to mingle with other people.

Kevin also still had Moose to go see.

"It's game time at Chez Blossom, kiddies," Cheryl announced to the people that came. "We're going old-school tonight. Seven Minutes in Heaven. Who wants to tryst in the Closet of Love first? My vote is 'A' for Archie. Anyone care to second it?"

"Wait, actually-" Archie began to object.

"Yes, Andrews! Yes!" Reggie exclaimed, clearly drunk.

"All right. Gather round, kids. Let's see who's riding the ginger stallion tonight."

Cheryl spun the empty soda pop bottle, it spun until it landed between Betty and Veronica.

Reggie snickered. "Oh, no way!"

"It's clearly pointing to The new girl. This should be fun," Cheryl licked her lips.

Ricky shook his head. No, he only knew Veronica in a short period of time and knew that this wasn't her.

"Um, I'm not doing this," Veronica stated.

Cheryl rolled her eyes. "That's up to you. But, if you don't, house rules decree the hostess gets to take your turn."

Veronica sighed before she stood up and stalked towards the closet with Archie following. The door closed and Betty looked like she was ready to break down crying much to Ricky's dismay.

Reggie laughed to some girl. "I wonder how freaky Andrews will be getting."

"Who knows? They may just take even longer than seven minutes," Cheryl stated.

That was enough for Betty. She stood up, running out of the room. 

Ricky quickly stood up. "Betty, wait!" He looked back to Cheryl with a glare. "That was not cool," he hissed protectively before following after Betty. He found the blonde crying as she walked out of the house. "Betty, stop," he called.

"I can't believe I actually thought Veronica was another friend," she cried, tears pouring down her pale cheek.

"What happened between you and Archie?" Ricky asked.

She sniffed. "I purposed the idea of us being a couple and he rejected me.  He rejected me, Ricky. After all these years-"

Ricky grabbed her face, wiping her tears away softly with his thumb. "Betty Cooper, you are so beautiful, smart and beyond a funny goofball.  You give so much more than Archie deserves or anyone else like Veronica deserves. But you, you deserve the whole damn world. Believe it or not, you're young. You have amazing qualities other guys are too blind to see, but when they do, they'll know that they're getting the best girl yet." Never leaving her eyes, Ricky asks, "Do you believe me?"

Betty genuinely smiled and nodded in his hands. "Thank you, for everything you've ever done for me since we were kids."

"Of course, Betts," Ricky tells her before stepping back. "Come on, I'll walk you home."

"Don't you wanna stay here for the party?"

Ricky scoffed. "It's not a party I want to be at if my best friend isn't there."

With that, they walked together, occasionally talking, but even though Betty wore a smile, Ricky knew deep down, she was heartbroken and he hated that with every cell in his body.

He barely noticed that as they were halfway to her home, she rubbed her bare arms, shuddering slightly.

"Are you cold?" Ricky questioned.

"Just a little, but I can hold out since I'm almost home."

Ricky shook his head. Betty was always quite stubborn.

He pulled off his jacket he was wearing over the suit, draping it over her shoulders. "Here."

"Are you sure, Ricky?"

"I haven't used that all night, I adjusted to the cold a long time ago. Take it, Betts."

"Okay," she agreed, pulling her arms through the sleeves. "But let me know if you get cold, I'll give it back."

"I'm fine," Ricky reassures her as they kept walking.

Ricky kept silently thinking to himself, how much more beautiful she was in his clothes. He got this weird feeling whenever he was around Betty. He felt it once when he was in middle school but I couldn't quite place it yet.

Finally, they arrived in front of her house.

"So will you be okay tonight?" Ricky questioned, noticing her sad expression again.

"I think I'll manage," she answered, before looking at her house. "Do you want to come in? After all you've done..."

"I'm fine, I'm still pretty hungry since I haven't got to eat yet. I'll just go to Pop's. Good night, Betty."

She wrapped her arms around him in a hug. "Good night," she whispered.

Ricky pulled back, sending her a smile before walking down her house steps until-

"Ricky," she called. He turned back around. "I forgot to give your sweater back," she said, beginning to pull it off.

Ricky shook his head. "Keep it."

"Really?"

"Yeah, it looks better on you than it ever did on me," Ricky tells her before walking away in the direction of Pop's.

While doing so, he ran over all he ever thought when I was around Betty.

It finally clicked.

He now understood that the feeling he felt while she with Archie was jealousy and how beautiful she always thought she was. He understood what I felt now because he felt the same way about Betty in middle school.

He had feelings for Betty. He had a crush on her.

Oh no...Ricky had a crush on his childhood best friend.

But why now? Why now when he's known her pretty much his whole life?

***

Pop Tate knew Ricky well to get his usual order of a burger and fries. Pop's use to be a safe haven for him, Archie and Jug.

Ricky entered Pop's and looked around the diner, stopping when he saw Jughead, typing away on his laptop.

Jughead Jones was the most anti-social person at Riverdale High. That's what everyone saw him to be. Everyone except for Ricky, Archie, and Betty. He was Archie's friend since, well-since birth and just grew as Ricky's friend over the years, then brother figure.

Jughead treated Ricky like a little brother, only wanting the best for him and the two had an unbreakable bond no matter how much Archie and Jughead butted heads, like with the sudden canceling of the fourth of July trip.

Ricky walks towards him causing him to look up.

"Hey, Jug," Ricky greeted. "Can I sit?"

"You know it's fine if you sit, Ricky," he replied. Ricky scooted himself across from him in the booth. "From the way, you're dressed, I'm assuming you went to the dance."

"Yeah," Ricky answered to his other brother figure, running a hand through his brown hair, anxiously. "It was...okay, but afterward it was horrible."

"Why?"

"I'm gonna keep a lot of details under wrap for Betty's sake, but she was completely heartbroken tonight, thanks to the new girl and Archie."

"You look worn out, Rick."

"I just walked Betty home and I was really craving Pop's food."

The door to Pop's bell rang. Archie came in, going up to Pop. "Hey, Pop. Betty hasn't come in tonight, has she?"

"Nope. Just the night hawks in tonight," Pop said, looking over to Ricky and Jughead's table.

"Thanks," Archie told Pop before walking towards the two, looking to Jughead. "Uh, can I sit, Jughead?" he asked.

Jug's eyes flickered to Ricky, who just shrugged, but he looked to Archie, answering with, "If you want."

Ricky scooted moreover for Archie as he sat down next to Ricky. "What are you working on?" He asked Jughead.

"My novel," he answered. "It's about this summer and Jason Blossom."

"Seventeen years old and how will he be remembered?"

Ricky scoffed. "No offense but as captain of the water polo team? The Aquaholics? Considering how he died..."

"Probably not," Jug answered.

"No, what I mean is-was he doing everything he was supposed to do, everything he wanted. I mean, did he even know what that was?"

"Coach Clayton was in here talking to Pop Tate. Varsity. Does that make you, what, Mr. Popular Football God now?" Jughead asked.

"No. In fact, I'm kind of terrified I lost my best friend tonight."

"If you mean Betty, whatever happened, just talk to her. You know, it'd go a long way. Would've gone a long way with me."

Archie stood up, pausing for a moment before looking over Jughead and walking out.

Pop Tate shortly placed down Ricky's usual order of food to which Ricky thanked him.

"Did he ever tell you why he suddenly canceled?" Jughead asked Ricky.

"No, he wouldn't tell me," Ricky answered. "But you must be pretty pissed off since it's been nearly three months since you've talked."

"Yeah, I was pretty pissed off," Jughead answered honestly. "And then he blows me off the rest of the summer. Archie should've been the one to apologize."

"I don't disagree," Ricky stated, eating his fries.

Jughead looked at the time. "Don't you need to be home soon?" he asked.

Ricky shrugged. "My dad knows about the dance. He knows we'd be out late." He leaned back in his seat. "What are you, my chaperone?"

Jughead chuckled. "Well, since I'm the oldest and you're the young one, yes."

Ricky laughed. "By one year."

That night, Ricky stayed up, talking with Jughead. It felt good to be close to him again. That night though, the body of Jason Blossom was found, washed up at Sweetwater River with a gunshot to his head.

"By morning, everyone would be talking, texting, and posting about it. We'd all be feeling it. That the world around us had changed, maybe forever. That Riverdale wasn't the same town as before. That it was a town of shadows and secrets now. On Monday, the autopsy on Jason's body would take place. And on Tuesday, halfway through fifth period, the first arrest would be made."

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

1M 21.2K 200
"heavy is the head that wears the crown"
27.5K 801 20
Cheryl is a "broken" teen, who has been through hell and back. She is accepted by her mother but picked on at school because of her father and broth...
120K 2.3K 55
Who the fuck shot Fred doe ? Who is Hiram's little brother? HARVEY LODGE: and lets not forget River and Jughead's grandparents the OG's of Serpents...
20.1K 436 44
Betty and Jughead are both 21 years old, they got engaged almost 2 years ago and have a 3 year old boy, Jayden. Jughead is a writer and also works at...