Alaska

By chasestratton98

Two young boys go out for a normal hunting trip, but what happens changes their lives forever. More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

Chapter 1, The beginning

26 1 0
By chasestratton98

It was a cold dark night, wind was blowing so hard I thought the windows where going to break. It was exactly 10:05 when over the radio we heard our commander say the magical words " Bravo team you have a green light." My heart was pounding as we pushed through the front doors of a small house but nice blue house in the middle of Russia. This was the moment I have been waiting for since the rumors of this mission came up. It was said to be the most important mission there has ever been in the god awful war. We entered the house two guys went up the stairs and i pushed through the kitchen, on high alert, keeping my head on a swivel looking for any and all danger. There he was sitting in the middle of the small living room. The look on his old face was of pure disgust. Now all there was left was to pull the trigger and it would be all be over, the war, the pain and suffering. I was just beginning to put pressure on the trigger when the worst thing possible could have happened, the power cut. I was so mad I chucked the controller at my bed. Three hours of playing the newest Call of Duty game wasted because of the stupid storm.

Just after 10:10 I got a text from my friend Mac seeing if I could go over to his house for the night, luckily his power was still on, so I packed an overnight bag with the essentials, started my snowmobile, put on my coat and was about to walk out the door when I got another text "Hey bro grab your rifle, we are going hunting tomorrow!"

This was one of the ups of living in Alaska, there is always something you can do outdoors, this time it would be my favorite activity of hunting. I quickly ran up the stairs grabbed the key to the safe, and grabbed my dads old .306 gun he used when he was in the military. It was the last thing he gave me before he was torn from my life when I was 14, from a terrible crash that also took the lives of three other people. It was his favorite rifle, and has done me well.

It was around 10:45 when I got to Macs house. I received the usually greeting from his parents. After my dad died and my mom always is away for work, they became my second set of parents. The great part about them is they would never question why I was coming over at close to 11 at night. After a short conversation with them Mac and I went up into his room. Macs room was one of the coolest places in the world. He had everything a teenage boy in Alaska could want. It was a large room that had pictures of his favorite memories on the wall, along with the first buck he ever shot. He had a big bed, and right above it was a long bow his grandpa had made him when he was 4. I set my stuff in the usual place where I would sleep, and started putting my things on his couch. Thats when the first joke was shot out from macs mouth "dang man I asked if you wanted to spend the night, not the week." This was the usual joking Mac did. Mac was an only child, or at least by legal standards. He would always tell me that I was the better version of a brother. Mac is the type of guy that was always there for you when you needed him. He had a great humor, and always know what to say. But he was also very smart. If you asked him a question he wouldn't answer until he was positive he was right.

For some reason when we were younger he would get made fun of because of this. I guess kids found it odd he would take so long to answer simple questions. Thats how me and him met. We were in third grade and he had just transfer from New Mexico. He always has been a skinny and short guy, but he was tiny in third grade. A few kids were bullying him after school, so I did the logical decision at the time and punched the biggest kid in the throat. This landed me in detention, but it was worth it. We have been best friends ever since, and even though he was still smaller than most kids our age he had gained some muscle so no one messed with him that much.

"What time would want to wake up tomorrow princess?" Mac asked after a friendly game of Madden.

"Up by four in the stands by five?" I replied.

"Sounds good man, sleep tight." was his final reply of the night. After sending a final text I turned my sound off and fell asleep.

The morning came faster than I thought was possible. Before I was out of bed Mac was cleaning his .308. He said that it was his good luck charm to only clean half of the gun before a hunt. I personally think he is just really lazy and just doesn't want to finish cleaning it. We did our normal morning routine. He showed while I made us breakfast and coffee, then when I showered he made lunch. We both ate together then started getting all of our gear together. It would take about 20 mins to do this if we were working fast. We loaded our rifles, the our pistols we used as protection from wolves and other animals. After putting our camo on we headed out.

The sun was about 10 mins from peaking over the horizon when we got on our snowmobiles and started on the the 30 minute ride out to our favorite place to hunt. When we got there it was just like I remembered it. We hunted out of tree stands. Mine was about 20 feet in the air and had a perfect view of a wide open field with a river that ran through it. Mac went to his stand that was only about 10 feet off the ground, but had the perfect view of the ridge that ran off the mountain.

As expected it was only a couple of hours until we saw the first elk. It was a smaller one so we passed on the shot. Within a matter of minutes a beautiful elk came in point of view for us both. Me knowing his gun couldn't make the shot going against the wind, slowly signaled to him that I was going to take the shot. As if it was as natural as brushing my teeth, I raised the gun to my face, got my cross hairs just above its chest, took my rifle off of safety, took a deep breath and at the end of exhaling, squeezed the trigger. Right away we saw the beast drop. I put my gun on safe, climbed down the tree on started the walk to the elk.

Mac and I got there at about the same time, and immediately started to gut it. We were so focused that we had not noticed what had seen us first. As soon as they smelled the blood from the elk the wolves came in like lighting. About ten of them in all, as mean as can be. Mac quickly drew his pistol and shot at the biggest wolf hoping it would scare him off, but it only made them more mad. I quickly did the same, but used my rifle. The sound of the canon like percussion from the massive round quickly scared them off.

We watched them through our scoped to make sure they were not coming back. As they entered the woods, we saw the strangest thing we have seen while hunting. It looked to be three men with assault rifles. That was not what was scaring us though. It was the fact that they had been staring back at us, and one of them had his sights on Mac. My heart was was pounding, a second felt like an hour, the whole world seemed to slow down when I heard the shot. I could hardly turn to looked at Mac, but when I did, I bursted out in tears.

It was as if God had forced the bullet down. As soon as the bullet hit the lifeless elk we ran for our snowmobiles. We did not know why they shot at us, or what we were supposed to do. All we knew was we had to move fast. Mac was almost in tears as we ran to our snowmobiles. It was almost as the men had known where we were going, right as I got to mine they took aim and fired, but not at me. It was a direct hit on my snowmobile and the engine was dead. Fractically I did the only thing I could think of, aim my rifle back at them and start shooting. After about 30 seconds of back and forth shooting Mac came racing to me and told me to get on. The only problem about getting away was the only way to go was to the lake. It barely had enough ice on it to hold a small child much less a snowmobile and two boys. But it was the only option, so we did what we had to do.

It was like I had just woken up from a dream when we fell through. Everything seemed more clear, I was more awake. I had my pistol on my side and my rifle around my back. Mac was the same but was extremely frantic in the moment. We were both about to surface when bullets came flying through the water. I signaled to Mac to swim farther down into the water and to try to relax. After about 10 seconds the bullets stopped. Instead of going up on the same place we swam about 20 yards the other direction and broke through the ice with our rifles. We were lucky they didn't see us as we slowly crept out of the water. It gave me a better chance to see what they looked like. One was tall with a full beard and a scarred lip, another was smaller but had short black hair, and was missing a finger on his right hand, the last one was a short and chubby man who seemed to be giving the orders. After we slowly made our way to the shore, both Mac and I were shaking vigorously from the cold water. The main thing on our minds was to start a fire and fast. Luckily we always pack an emergency bag just in case our snowmobiles where to break down. They had extra clothing, flares, food, knifes, and most importantly matches. Most people would think that if you just fell into a freezing cold like that you would keep all your stuff on and just sit right by the fire. Those people are wrong, we stripped all of our stuff off and started doing pushups in the snow. It has always been something our parents told us to do if we ever fell through the ice, it helps get blood get moving so your heart doesn't stop. After a few minutes of that and having the fire going we were dry and warm. The next thing to do was figure out how we would get home. We were a little over 20 miles from home. In a normal place this would be fine, there has to be someone closer than that, nope.

We gathered all of our supplies and tried to stay calm.

It was completely dark by the time they came back, but this time we where ready. Mac had the idea to take our knifes and tie them to the end of long sticks so we didn't have to waste any bullets. This time they came in fewer numbers, only about 6 wolfs this time. They didn't seem to concerned with the fire like we expected so we just waited for them, but they stayed there distance and eventually left. Me and Mac took turns keeping watch while the other slept. I offered to take the first shift but he insisted, "Its cool bro, I want to take the first shift" he insisted every time I tried to.

Right when I had fallen asleep, I was being shaken awake. "Hey bro, you hear that?" Mac asks as he frantically shook me awake. "No, what is it?" I replied. Thats when the sound of heavy breathing and quiet whispering crept into my ears. We slowly gathered our supplies and put the fire out. The only place I could think to go was away from the voices. About 100 yards separated us from them. I had one of them in my sights when the short fat man announced "My name is Rick, and you two have seen something you shouldn't have, and unfortunately you must not tell anyone about it ever. You now must be dealt with." Those words rang through my ears like a bell at a funeral. I grabbed my bag and rifle and gave Mac a look that he quickly returned, pure fear.

We were almost to the front door of the Macs house when we saw signs that someone had been there. The front window was shattered and the door was half open, we immediately ran to the door pistols drawn, what we witnessed inside was horrific. It was like a scene from a horror movie, the whole living room was torn up, everything was destroyed, to make things worse there was blood on the floor, not just a few drops but it seemed like a whole pool of it had been dumped out on the floor. I could hardly stand to see Mac like this. As we went through his house tears game powering out like he hand never cried before. We went through the whole house without finding either of his parents. I was going up to his room when I heard a scream that made the hair on my arms stand straight up. I sprinted down the spiral staircase that led to the basement. There I saw my best friend, my brother, gasping for air as he was holding his mom in his arms and dad at his side. Asking, pleading with God "Why would you do this to me? Why did you have to take them? They had nothing to do with this!" Thats when it hit me. How would those men know where Mac lived, and what did he mean by "they had nothing to do with this" when neither did we, or so I thought. About 10 minutes had past and there we sat, wondering what Mac was not telling me, and what did Rick mean by "we have seen something we shouldn't have?" These questions raced through my mind faster than a bullet traveling out of a gun. I was in deep thought when Mac interrupted with tears still flowing down his face "Hey bro, we need to gather all that we can. Both here and at your place. I will explain on the way to my grandmas house. So we started searching the house for things, we were half way up the stairs when I had realized, his grandma died when he was 5. But I decided to ask later and worry about what was happening now. It took us thirty minutes to grab things we needed. The best thing we could find was a few cases of water, some food and a shotgun. Mac grabbed his dads working computer, along with a few other objects his dad owned. He also grabbed the picture of him and his parents, seeing the picture should him up. It was one they had taken the year before when he got to go to Disney world in Florida, it was the first time I didn't get to go with them on vacation. I never knew why, but he had fun. Mac was starting to break down in a way i'm not used to. He has always been fairly confident, and happy, whenever something bad happened he looked at the bright side of things. With what he just went through though, I couldn't blame him.

The car ride back to my house went by quick. No words were said between us, just a few

" Bro, you ok?" here and there. It was an uneventful car ride, it was a good break and a good time to think. When we got to my house I went straight up to my room, grabbed my phone and called the police. When I picked it up to dial 9-1-1, I saw that I had no signal on my phone, so I grabbed the house phone, same thing. I yelled to Mac that we had to leave asap. I told Mac to grab all the food he could find. I went into my closet and grabbed my other hunting equipment, and a bag I had made up if I ever had to leave. It had about $1,000 in it, some pants and shirts, a toothbrush, and a key to a security box. I never knew what was in the box. My dad gave it to me and said if I was ever in trouble, the only problem is the bank it was in, was located in Georgia. I was sorting through things in my bag when it hit me, I was exhausted. I slowly leaned back on my bed and looked around my small room. I didn't have a lot in my room, a small desk, dresser, and my bed. It wasn't much but it was mine. I was leaning up as Mac came bursting through my door, "Dude you have too see what I found, your not going to believe what I found!" I followed him into my parents room and into their closet. I never went in their room, it didn't seem right to go in there with dad being gone. When we got into the closet, he pushed some coats back and Mac called it, I could not believe what I saw.

It was like it wasn't even my house! After Mac moved over the coats, I saw what looked like a small hatch. When I pulled it, a whole door appeared. We slowly walked inside but couldn't see anything. I grabbed my flashlight and turned it on. There in the middle of a small dusty room was a beautiful Ford f-150. I could not believe that this was just sitting right next to my parents room! Mac found the light switch and flipped it on. I ran to the truck with excitement, and tried to open the door. I couldn't believe that it was locked, and I had no idea where the key was! Mac slowly walked over with something in his hand, "Looking for this?" he said with a smirk on his face. I was so relieved, "Where was it" I questioned. "In one of the coat pockets" he explained. We walked over to the car and I unlocked it, when the door opened it smelled like it was brand new. "When did you guys get this" Mac asked "No idea man" I replied. We both got in and looked around, "How are we going to get out?" he asked "I have no idea". After a few minutes of looking around Mac opened his glove compartment and found a garage door opener. "Should I try this?" "Sure" after he pushed it, all the sudden a bunch of bright lights turned on around us. We just sat there thinking nothing was happening, when I noticed that we were slowly moving up. It took about a minute before we were in the backyard of my house. "Bro I never knew about this!" I said with a slight smile on my face. The excitement quickly fled the air as we drove away and saw in the mirror three men going into my house.

"So where is your grandmas house" I asked, "This might sound crazy, but she lives in Wisconsin" "What? How are we going to get there? I didn't grab my passport, I can't get into Canada without it." He had a smirk on his face and pulled out my passport, "How did you..." "It was in your parents bedroom he interrupted." "O, Well I guess we will head to Wisconsin"

So what did you guys think?

This is my first time on wattpad, so im just starting to learn thing

new chapter coming soon :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

452 32 30
In this story you'll see 2 school teens that goes on an epic adventure along the way one of them becomes something that will change her life forever...
200 49 50
Two sophomore college students must navigate life differently once their worlds change forever..
0 0 1
Two twin boys go on adventure together, meet new and interesting people, get into trouble and then what, who knows?
16 0 13
After the loss of 2 pack members, the pack is tighter and closer than usual. Someone is missing and the gang takes a trip which is the beginning of s...