The Fear Of Death Confounds M...

By KillerRomanceJunkie

Emily was just an orphan, who assumed her parents left her because they didn't want her. But when strange thi... More

Chapter 1: Little Do You Know
Chapter 2: Ravenwood
Chapter 3: Choice
Chapter 4: Professor
Chapter 5: Strength
Chapter 6: Sacrificium
Chapter 7: Unicorn Make Way
Chapter 8: Honor Bound
Chapter 9: Oh My Lord
Chapter 10: Malorn
Chapter 11: Krokotopia
Chapter 12: Xena
Chapter 13: The Order Of The Fang
Chapter 14: Affection
Chapter 15: The Krokonomicon
Chapter 16: Marleybone
Chapter 17: Closing off
Chapter 18: Ghost of Days Gone By
Chapter 19: Royal pains
Chapter 20: Meowiarty
Chapter 21: Celebration
Chapter 22: Wysteria
Chapter 23: Affairs of The Heart
Chapter 24: For Ravenwood
Chapter 25: Emperor Yoshihito
Chapter 26: The Ashthorns
Chapter 27: You Have To Die
Chapter 28: On Death's Doorstep
Chapter 29: Fruit of Life
Chapter 30: Dragonspyre
Chapter 31: Syl
Chapter 32: Fear
Chapter 33: Andrea
Chapter 34: The Beginning of The End
Chapter 35: Malistaire
Epilogue
Digging up the past
Announcement

Before Wizard City

76 1 0
By KillerRomanceJunkie

This short story takes place one day before chapter one of this book, so right before Emily found out she has powers, right before she found out about her heritage. Just when she was a human living with her adoptive mother Rachel and her 'adoptive sister' Andrea.

It was quiet, not eerily quiet, but quiet enough that I could hear myself breathe. The realization switching my automatic breathing to a more manual one, the human body truly is strange sometimes. I was lounging on one of the comfy couches in the University library. The library was always where I'd come when I felt lost, when I wanted to get away from it all, it was one of the few places where I felt like I actually belong. Luckily today, no one was here but me, literally no one at all.

I was peering into the seventh installment of the 'Harry potter' series: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I was re-reading it for probably the fifth time, the entirety of the series were some of my favorite books. I love getting lost in the fantasy of it all, it's not hard for me to delve into an imaginary world in my mind when almost nothing makes sense in my real existence. I was about halfway through the book when it was taken out of my hands, replaced by my boyfriend's face who was upside down, standing behind the couch and looking down into my eyes. I looked up at him in slight amusement, a smile tugging at my lips as he kissed my lips gently, before closing my book and walking around the couch to sit next to me.

"You'd better have saved my page number."

He gave me a devilish smile.

"What do you take me for, an amateur?"

I narrowed my eyes, which were twinkling with mirth.

"Occasionally."

He placed a hand over his heart, giving me a mock offended look.

"You wound me, Angel. Truly."

I simply smiled at his antics, he smiled back, before handing me my book back, which in fact had a bookmark placed to earmark where I left off in the book.

"Thanks. Now is there a reason you're disturbing my peaceful reading time?"

"Is wanting to see my girlfriend not reason enough?"

"It would be if that's why I thought you were here."

"Well it's not not why I'm here."

The sentence was delivered with pure innocence, startling a chuckle out of me.

"Alright Ed. What's up?"

"Rachel told me to take you home."

I looked up at him in confusion.

"Why didn't she just call me?"

"She did. Your phone's off."

I fumbled around the couch for my phone, and checked it. Yup...battery's dead.

"Oh. Oops."

"Yeah, now come on, she already hates me enough for sticking my tongue down her adopted daughter's throat every chance I get."

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"What a romantic way of describing kissing me." He winced, offering me a kiss on the cheek as an apology. To which I responded with a calm smile. "In any case, I can't go back yet. I still need to drop off my research paper at Harlingon's office, and pay a visit to Anya."

He looked at me in confusion, born of worry.

"...The guidance counselor? Why?"

"Just..." I shook my head, before sighing. "It's nothing."

"Angel?" I was looking at the ground, failing to meet his gaze. "Emily."

I sighed at his sharp tone. He only calls me by my name when he's serious. He took my hand in his, forcing my gaze into his. His greenish blue eyes reassuring.

"Talk to me."

"It's nothing, seriously."

"It's obviously not nothing." He looked around the room before his eyes widened in realization. "You come here when you feel lost." He gently caressed my cheek, eyes imploring me. "Tell me what's going on."

I took a deep breath, before pulling my hand away from him to run it over my face I frustration.

"You're right. I feel lost, and not in a normal 'I'm sort of lost but I know I'm gonna find my way' kind of way but...really lost." I shook my head before getting up to pace. I stopped mid pace to face Edward, who had moved to stand in front of the couch and lean on the armrest as I paced, endlessly patient, waiting for me to continue. "I feel like I don't belong here."

James pulled himself off the arm rest to stand in front of me.

"Here as in the university?"

I looked back at him, with an indecipherable gaze. Racking my mind for the answer.

"Yes...no? I don't know."

I walked back over to the couch and plopped down on it, sinking into the soft cushions. I felt the couch dip next to me as Edward sat down, pulling me into his embrace.

"I've also been researching my parents. My real ones."

Edward pulled back to look at my face.

"How long?"

"...A while."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I knew you wouldn't approve."

"With good reason Emily! They left you."

"I don't know if that's what actually happened."

"Of course it's what happened Emily how can you not see that?"

I pulled away from his arms, moving to stand up facing in the other direction so he doesn't see how much his words affected me. I could hear him sigh behind me. The next thing I know I could feel a pair of warm arms hugging me from behind, as he rested his head on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry Emily, I shouldn't have said that. I just...don't want you to get your hopes up for nothing."

I sighed, turning around in his arms and facing him.

"I know, I just...if there's even a 1% chance that they didn't leave me for no reason, don't I deserve to know?"

He nodded, pulling me in for a hug.

"You're right."

I sighed, breathing in his scent, feeling safe and warm. When I pulled away he looked at me with a serious expression.

"Is that why you feel lost? Your parents?"

"Yeah...a little. But it's not just that."

"Then what is it?"

"I dont't know..."

"How long have you felt this way?"

"On some wavelength I think I always felt this way." I pulled back a little to look at his face. "Ed, I'm at fifth year level and I'm a third year, and I'm double majoring in subjects that are like fire and water. This stuff comes too easily for me."

"Isn't that a good thing, Angel?"

I shook my head.

"There's no fulfilment anymore, you know? No rush, no excitement, its routine...boring. Everything is just...boring. I just can't help but feel like I'm meant for...more."

"Then switch majors."

I sighed, extricating myself from his embrace to stand up.

"You don't get it. It's not just University Ed. It's my life."

"Your life, so you mean me as well..."

"Edward. Don't start."

"You basically just told me you're sick of everything in your life. How do you want me to take that?"

"The way it was intended. Not the way you're making it out to be." I shook my head, scoffing. "This is exactly why I wasn't going to tell you about this. I knew you wouldn't get it."

"Because I never get you, right?"

I shook my head. 

"That's not what this is about."

His tone was oozing sarcasm.

"Of course it isn't."

I sighed heavily.

"I don't have it in me to fight with you right now."

"Fine, let's just go."

I sighed.

"I'm going to stay, I think you should go."

He looked at me in disbelief, clearly about to argue, until noticing the sadness behind my angry expression. His eyes softened.

"Don't be ridiculous, I'm your ride."

"I'd rather find my own way back. Besides I have some shit to do here."

"Emily."

"Please, just go."

He sighed, having an internal battle with himself before nodding, giving me a quick kiss on the forhead and walking away. I could still feel a tingle where he left the kiss, heart aching for me to tell him to come back, I shook my head. I'm still mad at him, and we've been having the same fight for the past few months, I'm honestly sick of it at this point. I decided to go and finish what I was supposed to do, so I made my way to Doctor Harlingon's office, my pharmaceutical chemistry professor, to drop off my paper on Antihypertensive drugs. When I got to the office, I knocked gently before hearing the professor's voice coming from the other side of the door, urging me to come in. his eyes lit up as he realized who I was as I was closing the door behind me. The professor looked old and stuffy, he literally looked like what you would expect a chemistry professor to look like, but he was actually a very funny very sweet old man.

"Ah Miss Emeraldgarden, to what do I owe this unexpected pleasure?"

He had one of those very thick British accents, one that you more often than not couldn't understand, but I had grown accustomed to it.

"I'm just here to drop off my paper."

His eyes widened a fraction, before shaking his head.

"You finished already? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, you are the brightest of your age."

I replied with a smile that didn't quite reach my eyes.

"Yeah..."

He furrowed his brow, seemingly picking up on my sour mood.

"Emily, how about you sit down for a moment?"

I looked back at him in confusion, but obliged unquestioning.

"Okay...?"

"You seem more...gloomy than usual. And that's saying something."  I let out a weak laugh, as he continued. "Is there anything you wish to get off your chest, dear?"

I folded my arms across my chest, leaning back in the chair.

"I was actually going to see Mrs. Ivanisko after this."

He leaned forward on his desk, curiosity piqued.

"Whatever for?"

"I...I guess I don't feel fulfilled anymore."

"Why do I sense that you aren't just talking about University?"

"Because you're smart enough to have a doctorate."

He let out a hearty guffaw, smiling brightly at me.

"There's that biting wit I much so admire about you." When his laughter died down, he fixed me with a serious look. "Maybe you don't feel fulfilled because you're destined for greater things than what's on offer around you, Miss Emeraldgarden."

I fixed him with an inquisitive stare.

"What do you mean?"

"Only that you are one of the smartest youngsters I've ever met. Also one of the most ambitious. Keep in mind you are the only person out of everyone who's ever set foot in this University to Major in both Pharmacy and Music. A wildly unsuitable combo, yet you made it not only work for you, but you also get the highest grades we've ever witnessed from a student your age." I gave him a genuine smile as he continued. "You are destined for more than this. And one day, you will find it. Just give it time."

I nodded, feeling my spirits lift a little.

"Thanks, Doctor Harlingon."

"Anytime, Emily."

I got up from my seat, after leaving the paper on his desk, and walked out with a seemingly new perspective. Although there was an underlying sense of dread inside me waiting to claw out. Why couldn't Edward just have said all that crap the professor said – it actually made me feel better – instead of picking a fight with me! I decided not to go see Anya, but I didn't feel like going home either. Back to the library it is.

I was on my way back to the library when I knocked into someone- or rather she knocked into me, quite forcefully - I could only describe her as an extremely skinny package of bleach blonde hair and a fake tan; Krystal Mathers. She was being flanked by her two twin minions, Amber and Riley.

"Oh Emily, didn't see you there."

"Oh well I guess that Lasik you paid for was money down the drain, huh?"

She scoffed, giving me a disgusted look as she and her minions tried to find a smart retort, only managing to come up with this...

"Well...Well...Or maybe you're just invisible."

"I wish I was invisible, that way I wouldn't be standing here talking to you."

"You wish that I would talk to you."

I gave her a disgusted look before switching to sarcasm.

"Yeah, as much as I wish flames of hell would engulf me."

She looked very proud of herself.

"You're damn right."

Up until her minions whispered in her ear just loud enough for me to hear.

"Krystal I think that was sarcasm."

She scoffed before turning to me.

"I knew that...you think you're so smart, just because you get higher grades than the rest of us."

"No...I think I'm smart because I make it a point not to talk to people like you." Before she could make another retort I spoke again. "Now if you'll excuse me, Krystal. I'm going to go talk to someone that doesn't make me feel like I'm losing brain cells."

She scoffed as I was starting to walk away.

"Hey!" She grabbed my arm pulling me back. "No one walks away from me."

I fixed her with a bone chilling glare, that made her not only let go of my arm faster than if she were holding scalding hot iron, but she looked like she was going to run away from the fear.

"You want to lose that arm? Try that again."

She took a deep breath to regain her composure, before resuming her bitchy attitude.

"You know what Emily? You're a scary freak."

I shrugged.

"True, but at least people don't hate me."

She scoffed.

"Are you kidding? They're just scared of you."

"It's called respect. Although I'm sure you wouldn't know the difference."

I turned to look at her minions, letting my gaze make my point for me. Riley looked almost sad for a moment, before snapping out of it and whispering in Krystal's ear again. Again just loud enough for me to hear.

"People actually think she's cool, Krystal."

"Your minion is right. You on the other hand, are a raging bitch that no one likes."

I gave her a cold smile, watching the tears as they travelled to her eyes. But I could tell she was holding them back.

"Well...you...UGH! Whatever, girls let's go!"

She turned on her heel and walked away faster than I thought possible. I rolled my eyes...that was an utter waste of time. I was about to walk away when I heard clapping coming from behind me. I turned around to find Edward, leaning casually on a wall.

"You showed her." I chose to not answer, only fixing him with an indecipherable gaze. He sighed heavily. "You're not talking to me now?"

I disregarded his last sentence entirely.

"Why are you still here?"

He shifted his gaze to the floor uncomfortably.

"Well...I walked two feet out of the library before realizing I wasn't going to let you 'find your own way home' no matter how mad you were. No one else should have to drive you home. That's my job."

That's Edward for 'I didn't leave because I care about you, even if you're mad at me'. It would have been sort of sweet, had I not been super mad at him.

"Yeah well...you're fired."

I turned to walk away.

"Emily." I sighed heavily stopping in my tracks, which gave him the go ahead to move to stand in front of me. "I love you." I could feel my resolve weaken behind the sincerity in his gaze. But I stood my ground, fixing him with the same cold look. He sighed. "Please just let me take you home. For my peace of mind?"

I sighed heavily.

"Fine. You can drive me home, but I'm still not talking to you."

He raised his hands in surrender.

"Okay."

We made our way to his Harley, where he put our bags in the trunk before making sure I was sat down properly on the bike, and moving to put on my helmet for me. I stopped him with my hand.

"I can do that."

I pulled the helmet from him, wearing it myself and tightening the strap. As he gave me a look of disbelief.

"You won't even let me..." I gave him an irritated smile, giving him the sense to stop talking. "Fine."

He proceeded to wearing his own helmet, before getting on the bike in front of me. He turned to look at me after starting the bike, I was finding it hard to find somewhere to hold onto. Normally I'd just hold onto Edward, but I legit cannot stand him. He narrowed his eyes at my antics.

"Would you just hold on to me?" I gave him my coldest stare, not moving an inch to answer. "You're going to fall off if you don't."

"I'll take my chances."

"Emily, for the love of god. Just hold on to me."

"No."

"Emily."

He gave me a pleading look. I sighed heavily.

"Fine. But only because I don't have time to argue with you. I'm sure Rachel's freaking out by now."

"Thank you."

We then raced to my house where Rachel was waiting on the front porch. She basically buckled in relief when she saw me.

"Emily Aurora Emeraldgarden you have some explaining to do!" I was getting my helmet off when Rachel walked up to me. "Where were you?"

"Uni, Rach. Where else would I be?"

"I don't know, dead? Your phone was off!"

"It died."

She rolled her eyes before turning to Ed.

"And you! I sent you to find her two hours ago!"

"Rachel I'm sorry, there were some...difficulties."

"If that's a code word for sex I swear to Bart-err God I'm-"

I piped in, giving her a frustratingly disgusted look.

"Ew Rachel, no. and Trust me there will be none of that for a while."

She narrowed her eyes in confusion, looking from me back to Ed.

"Okay am I missing something here?"

Edward piped in, seemingly angry at the way I've been acting all night.

"We kind of had a fight."

I looked at him in disdain.

"Oh and whose fault was that?"

"Yours, we could have resolved this but you didn't even want to talk it out."

"I shouldn't have to talk anything out when you're clearly in the wrong!"

"Emily, you're being-"

Rachel's voice cut in, decibels louder than ours.

"Enough! Jeez whatever this is work it out, and keep it down. I'm going to bed."

She walked away, leaving me seething with rage at my boyfriend who was also angry at me. I turned to him in disbelief.

"I cannot believe that you actually can't see that you're wrong."

"I..." He sighed heavily. "You're right. I know I'm wrong."

"Then why the hell are you arguing with me?"

"Because...I feel like I'm losing you."

That caught my attention, cutting through my anger.

"...What? Ed you aren't losing me."

"We've been fighting nonstop for the past few months. So when you talked about being unhappy with your life I was worried that..."

"That I couldn't handle us anymore?"

"Well...yeah."

I walked up to him and pulled him down for a tender kiss, when I pulled away I narrowed my eyes at him.

"You're a fucking idiot."

He was startled by my response, eyes practically bulging out of his head.

"Not where I thought this was going but okay."

"I love you. And yeah we fight, a lot. But that doesn't mean that I'll stop loving you. You idiot."

He smiled at me.

"Yeah?"

I nodded.

"Yeah."

I could see the tension leave his shoulders as he bent down to kiss me again. When he pulled away he gave me a sincere gaze.

"I was a dick. I'm sorry."

"You were a dick." We were basically in a staring contest, him looking down on me with those big sad blue puppy dog eyes, I broke first sighing heavily. "But you're my dick."

He laughed.

"That sounded wrong."

"Yeah...I realized it as I said it."

When his laughter died down he looked at me in seriousness, searching my eyes for any hint of anger.

"Are we okay?"

"Yeah. But next time you're scared about something. Just talk to me about it, okay?"

"Deal." His eyes lit up, seemingly remembering something. "I just remembered, when I was waiting for you I went to the University supermarket." He walked over to his bike and pulled a jumbo bag of mini marshmallows from it. "I saw this and I thought of you, so I got you one."

I smiled unintentionally. Even when his head isn't screwed on straight he's thoughtful.

"I love marshmallows."

"I know. That was kind of the point."

I laughed as he handed me the bag. He turned to look at the time on his phone.

"I should probably go, promised Will I'd actually go to tonight's family dinner." He leaned down to give me a proper kiss before pulling away. I kept my arms craned around his neck preventing him from properly backing away. "Angel?"

I raised a seductive eyebrow at him.

"Why don't you skip the family dinner, and come in for some...hot chocolate."

"I'd love nothing more, but I promised. Besides he's probably waiting for me."

"Yeah but, you know what else is waiting for you." I could see a smile tug at his lips as I bit my bottom lip, his eyes roaming over the small movement. Before I continued. "I'll give you a hint, it's black and it's lacy."

He gave me a deep and tender kiss.

"Stop tempting me. Keep this up I'll end up staying the night."

"That's the point."

He smiled.

"I love you..."

"...But you have to go." He nodded. I sighed, as he extricated himself out of my embrace. "I'll make it up to you tomorrow, I promise."

I looked at him in mock confusion, an amusing idea forming in my head.

"Tomorrow? What's tomorrow?"

He looked at me in disbelief.

"Don't tell me you forgot."

I feigned lack of remembrance.

"Forgot what?"

"Emily, are you serious right now?"

The expression on his face was too precious, I burst out laughing as he realized my game.

"You're evil, you know that?"

"Well duh. But come on, you didn't really think I forgot about our fourth anniversary, right?"

"For a second, yeah."

I laced my hands behind his neck.

"I would never."

"Mmm, sure."

I looked at him in mock offense.

"Keep this up and there will be no anniversary."

"Oof, hit me where it hurts why don't you?"

"You're such a goofball."

"I'm your goofball."

"True."

He leaned down to give me a deep passionate kiss goodbye. One that I felt all the way to my toes. When he pulled away my face was flushed.

"Just a little taste of what to expect tomorrow."

He then got on his bike, blew me a kiss and drove away. I touched my still tingling lips before walking into the house, straight into the kitchen to get myself some hot chocolate. I may have been using it as an innuendo but it actually got me craving some. Especially with the bag of marshmallows I now have in my possession. I smiled to myself, humming in pleasure while I prepared the hot chocolate, when a familiar lilted voice came from behind me.

"Someone sounds happy." She walked up closer to me. "Ooo you're making hot chocolate. Giving yourself a..." she lowered her vocal register and switched to a british accent to mimic Edwards voice "taste of what to expect tomorrow?"

I looked at her in mock offense.

"Andrea, you were listening?"

"Duh."

"Okay. Let me have it. Let the mockery begin."

"Nah, I'm not going to mock you."

"Feeling nice today?"

"A little but that's not why. Rachel told me you two were fighting before I began eavesdropping. So I'd much rather focus on that."

"It was nothing, just a little spat."

She looked at me with an indecipherable gaze.

"Been having a lot of those recently."

"It's a phase, I'm sure it'll pass."

"I hope you're right."

"I always am."

I smiled at her as I took my hot chocolate and went back to my room, drowning myself in chocolaty goodness and gooey marshmallow delight before going to sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

586 64 18
Ashfolia Vixen Silverwood has a mysterious past, being elven royalty who survived "The Fall of Stars", a cruel genocide that destroyed elven civiliza...
3.1K 134 32
Emily is an extraordinary girl in a world that fears anything other than ordinary. Born an orphan, raised by her uncle and aunt who are nobles, she's...
9K 705 21
"Unable are the loved to die, for love is Immortality" ~Emily D. Two boys from two different magical worlds, and one secret that they need to find ou...
327 0 19
Emily wakes up in a world where her and her friends live in a fantasy world and they are princesses and princes. She's confused and can't remember mu...