Savage Cinderella

By pjsharon

Eighteen-year-old Brinn Hathaway has survived on her own in the Northwest High Country of Georgia since she w... More

Savage Cinderella-Prologue and Chapter One-Catch Me If You Can
Savage Cinderella- Chapter 2-Prisoner or Patient
Savage Cinderella- Chapter 3- In the Light of Day
Savage Cinderella-Chapter 4-Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder
Savage Cinderella- Chapter 5- Kitty
Savage Cinderella-Chapter 6-Cleanliness is Next to Godliness
Chapter 7-Holding On and Letting Go
Savage Cinderella-Chapter 8-Saying Goodbye
Savage Cinderella-Chapter 9-Finding Brinn
Chapter 10-Old Friends and New
Savage Cinderella-Chapter 11-Growing Pains
Chapter 12- A Brand New Brinn
Chapter 13-Into the World
Chapter 14-Dark Memories
Chapter 16-Waking to the World
Chapter 17-Going Home
Chapter 18-Back in the Arms of Love
Chapters 19-20 Return From the Grave, and Truth Be Told
Chapter 21- Dark Confessions
Chapter 22-Fighting Spirit
Chapter 23- A Hunting We Will Go
Chapter 24-Stealthy Stalker
Chapter 25 and 26
Chapter 27-In Custody
Chapter 28 and 29
Chapter 30 and 31
Chapter 32 Hearts are Breakable
Chapter 33 & 34
Chapter 35 and 36
Chapter 37-Never Alone
Chapter 38+39 Over the Edge and Dead or Alive
Chapter 40-Last Chances

Chapter 15 -Headaches and Healing Hearts

79.7K 2.2K 140
By pjsharon

Chapter 15

Headaches and Healing Hearts

Justin finally had Brinn belted into the front seat and was cruising down Route 75 toward his condo in Centennial Park. His attention was drawn to the girl who was lolling her head and talking gibberish by this time. She really could not handle her liquor. He made a mental note to remind her of this incident should she ever want another drink. He might also consider having a little chat with Phillip when the idiot was sober in the morning. 

He turned the radio down to hear the incoherent babbling, listening for clues as to why Brinn would come down from her mountain and risk the discovery she so desperately feared. She’d found her way to the Black Horse Tavern, a pub he’d mentioned to her while at the cabin. His heart jumped at the idea that she was there looking for him, but he dismissed it immediately. Partly because he didn’t want to assume that their time together had affected her so profoundly, and partly because he didn’t want to admit the muddle of feelings he had for her. Whatever her reasons, Justin now had two goals: to keep her safe, and to reunite her with her family. He would focus on that for now. It would be a shock for all of them, but he was certain it was the right thing to do. 

He turned off the exit heading onto Peachtree when his phone rang. Justin connected the call. “Hello?”

“Hi, Son.”

Justin tightened his grip on the steering wheel. The last person he wanted to talk to was his father. It had been a couple of months since his last call and still Justin had little to say. “What’s up?” He asked coolly.

“I read about your adventure and I was calling to make sure you were all right. You should have called.”

“I’m fine, Dad.” He let the silence grow, assessing his father’s sincerity. The man was impossible to read. Cal Spencer was good at covering up the truth. After his mom caught his dad in yet another affair, his parents had finally divorced. Justin was just nineteen and his brother Steve a year younger. Steve was old enough to join the Marines—a ticket out of one hell and into another—but Justin was left behind to pick up the pieces. He wasn’t sure which one of them had gotten the short end of that stick. 

The divorce was ugly. The constant fights, the threats of violence, and him always in the middle trying to keep the peace and often paying the price in bruises. How many black eyes and busted lips had his father inflicted while in a rage? And how many times had he endured drunken tirades of “You’ll never amount to anything,” and words like “useless” or “failure” every time he tried to protect his mother from the brunt of the violence? His father rarely remembered those times, but Justin would never forget. It was a lot to forgive. It had been a relief when his parents divorced and Cal moved north to Virginia. It wasn’t until then that Justin finally felt he could leave his mom and go off to college. Going out west for school hadn’t been far enough to erase the burden of guilt and anger he carried.

His father fumbled for words in the silence. “Well, I just wanted to hear it for myself, I guess. I was worried about you.”

Justin eyed Brinn, now passed out completely in the front seat, her hair cascading across her face. He reached over and brushed the fine dark strands out of her eyes. Fighting the urge to stroke her cheek, he wrapped his fingers tighter around the steering wheel. He didn’t want to wake or startle her. Instead he let out a slow breath. There was no need to tell his father about the girl who was rapidly taking over his every thought. 

“Really, Dad, I’m okay. I have to go. I’ll call you soon when I can talk longer. I’m driving right now,” he said, knowing his father wouldn’t want him endangering himself. The man seemed hell-bent on making things up to him, but the damage was done and any amount of repair was still etched with cracks. 

“All right, then, Son; I’ll let you go. Call me sometime when you can talk. I’d like to hear about what happened up on that mountain. I guess I’ll just have to read about it in that little magazine you’re working for.”

Justin said good-bye and hung up, wishing his father would leave him alone. No matter how hard the man tried, every word that came out of his mouth held an insult. Justin shook off Cal’s derogatory reference to his job at the “little magazine.”  He had finally reached a point where doing the right thing was more important than gaining his father’s approval. When faced with helping Brinn or furthering his career, the choice was an easy one. 

After everything he’d been through with his family, he was determined to give Brinn the happy ending she deserved. Her trust in him fueled more than a desire to do what was right; he felt an overwhelming responsibility to protect her. She was probably here, risking everything, because of him. 

He glanced down at Brinn, amazed at how much strength it must have taken for her to come out of hiding after all these years. His heart wrenched at the prospect of the dangers she now faced. How long would it take for her to build a new life for herself? 

Although recovery was no picnic, there was a sense of peace to be found if you worked at it. Three years in Al-Anon had taught him that. He wanted more than anything for Brinn to find that peace. Forgiveness, he’d discovered, was another matter. Maybe he and Brinn could work on it together. A smile lifted one corner of his lips. The thought brought a glimmer of hope rising from a dark corner of his heart—a dark corner he suspected they shared, at least on some level.

He looked over at the sleeping face of innocence beside him. Her unexpected beauty captivated him. Where was the wild young woman he’d met just a few weeks before? “It’s going to be all right, Brinn. I’m going to take care of you. I’ll keep you safe tonight and when you wake up tomorrow, we’ll call your mom and dad.” 

Happy for the upcoming reunion but sad for all the years the Hathaways had lost, he knew it wouldn’t be an easy time for any of them. Parent-child relationships were complicated under the best of circumstances. As if on cue, his cell phone rang again, this time to the tune of Fϋr Elise. 

“Hi, Mom,” he droned, the Bluetooth connected once again. His mother always seemed to know the exact moment he was thinking of her.

“Hey, Sweetheart. How’s everything?”

“It’s all good, Mom. But right now isn’t the best time.”

“What’s going on? I can hear in your voice that something’s wrong.” 

Her sixth sense was a scary freak of nature. “Nothing’s wrong. How’s Adam?” Adam was a good guy, but most importantly, he made his mother happy and treated her right. It was good to know she had someone taking care of her—someone who could protect her. He pushed the persistent self-recrimination aside. 

“Oh, he’s great. He has to do some traveling soon, though. I thought maybe you and I could get together for supper. How’s next weekend look for you?”

He’d have to explain about Brinn some time if he intended to keep her in his life. He glanced across the seat again. A flood of warmth made him realize that keeping her in his life was exactly his intention. The implications of that realization sent a wave of mixed feelings to his gut. Next weekend would be as good a time as any to make introductions—though he found himself wanting to put off the inevitable as long as possible. He certainly couldn’t explain it on the phone and Brinn wasn’t exactly what his mother would approve of as a “nice girl from a good home.” 

And who knew where Brinn would be in a week. Her homecoming would be an event bound to stir up a hornet’s nest of consequences. “Mom, can I call you back on that? I have some things to take care of before I can commit.”

“All right, Sweetie.” She paused before adding, “Father’s Day is coming up. Don’t forget to call Dad.” Remnants of her June Cleaver alter ego lurked below the surface. As if she cared whether his father might feel slighted if he wasn’t remembered on Father’s Day. He knew she pushed the relationship for Justin’s sake, not for the cheating bastard who had beaten her up and broken her nose. Justin would never forget that night. He couldn’t forgive his father any more than he could forgive himself for not being strong enough to protect her. If she wanted to pretend, he wouldn’t argue. He had enough of his own issues to deal with.

“Don’t worry, Mom. I’ll send him a card or something.” Brinn let out a loud groan and rolled over to huddle against the door.

“What was that?”

“I’ve gotta go, Mom. Love you. Bye.” He disconnected the call, dodging the million questions he was certain would follow his explanation of his new friend. 

He shook his head, looking at Brinn, who lay curled in a tight ball on the front seat as he pulled into the parking garage at his condo. She was one hell of a story. Charlene would go nuts for the exclusive and would likely pitch a fit that Justin hadn’t taken advantage of the opportunity. But one look at Brinn tonight in that bar and he knew his ambition had to come second to what was best for her.  There were more important things in life than getting the story. Gramps would have agreed. A sad smile curved Justin’s lips.

Tomorrow, he would call her parents and arrange for the reunion. His heart swelled. It gave him a sense of satisfaction to be a part of such a miracle. In the little time he'd known her, he couldn't deny the easy bond they'd made and the warmth in his heart he felt toward her. She needed someone she could trust and depend on. He would do his best not to disappoint her.

Justin pulled into his usual spot and turned off the car. He studied her placid features, illuminated by the bright lights of the parking garage. Her transformation was remarkable, her beauty undeniable. The silken black hair, the way the soft material of her dress clung to her delicate curves and the fairy-like innocence of her face stirred a primitive need in him. At that moment, he was certain that he would do almost anything for the slumbering wood sprite at his side. He patted her shoulder gently, attempting to rouse her from sleep without startling her.

Brinn groaned, lifted her head, and stuttered, "I don't feel so good...." Then she proceeded to vomit all over herself and the pristine cream carpet of his BMW325Ci convertible.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.2K 1.1K 59
It has been a year since Annalise Montgomery lost her fifteen year old sister Lilly in the middle of a sunny day when she was waiting in a parking lo...
299 25 10
"How does the fate of a town lie in the hand a girl who is not so mentally okay and has a lot of life issues?" In the midst of her family troubles, 1...
140K 3.7K 72
This story follows 5 siblings living with their aunt and uncle after being abandoned by their parents. Clueless about the real world around them and...
9.2K 2K 73
What lengths would a desperate mother go to in order to find her missing daughter? When her teenage daughter goes missing after walking to her fathe...