The Wall Inbetween

By LadyObscurus

(This book is currently being edited and revised) You read as Hazel Fyelah, a Pureblood. You come from the fa... More

!Face Claim! (First Year)
Chapter 2 - The Howler and The House cup
!Face Claim! (Second Year)
Chapter 3 - The Burrow

Chapter 1 - Diagon Alley and Hogwarts

71 7 8
By LadyObscurus

  The morning that you awake in your warm canopy bed, snuggled under silk blankets and your head resting on a fluffy pillow was the day you would get your Hogwarts letter. But you didn't know that, yet.

Not expecting much that day, you climb out of bed with tired eyes, slipping on your fuzzy slippers to protect your feet from the cold marble floors of the mansion.

You took a breath of the sweet air flitting through your window, and you head down to collect the post. Hopping down two stairs at a time, you landed on the large open floor, your jump echoing off the walls. You pick up the stack of letters near the ornate doors and flip through them. The letters are mostly from the Ministry for your parents' work, which you throw aside unceremoniously.

As you sort through the stack you ignore everything but when the letter comes into view, you let out a loud squeal and jump up and down in excitement. You've been waiting for this letter forever.

The house elves that serve your family are startled by the sudden high pitched noise that you let out, stopping in their tracks to stare at you for a moment. You run upstairs with a spring in your step, a giddy feeling in your chest.

You pass by a painting of your grandparents, who are laughing and talking to each other, on your way to your room. Upon arriving, you get dressed for the day.

Throwing on your favourite white-hip length cardigan over a pretty Prussian blue tea length dress, you run down to the fireplace. Picking up your satchel, you stuff a bag of galleons and gently place the acceptance letter on top. You grab just enough floo powder and step into the fireplace and throw the powder towards the floor.

You shout as clearly as you can, your voice filling the empty room. "Diagon Alley!"

There's a small poof and you stumble out of the fireplace into the Leaky Cauldron. You carefully dust off your hands and quickly move to the brick wall, tapping the bricks in the certain order you've heard since you were little, you move through excitedly and walk down to the very first shoppe you would like to go to — Ollivander's.

Stepping into the shoppe you find that there are already two people getting a wand, so you mutter a soft "sorry" and move to the side.

You watch them as they pay for the girl's wand and walk out. Stepping up you say, "Hello, Mr Ollivander!"

He looks down at you and smiles, "Hello, now. You must be a Fyelah." Looking a bit dumbfounded you respond, "how did you know?"

"You have your mother's hair and your father's eyes. But, straying from the subject, you are here for a wand, of course. hold on, I'll only be a moment. I think I have the perfect one for you."

You watch as he disappears into the maze of shelves filled with wands and you anxiously await his return, shuffling your feet awkwardly. A couple of minutes later he sets down a wand box and takes out a beautiful wand.

"Beechwood, mix of unicorn and veela hair, and exactly 12 1/4 inches long," he said, holding it out for you to take. You smile, excited to hold the wand in your hand, Gently taking it and giving it a swish, gold light beams from the tip and sparkles fly everywhere

"Interesting... very... interesting," Mr. Olivander hummed. You look at Mr. Ollivander, a bit worried, "Is that a bad thing?"

He shakes his head, and looks at you reassuringly. "Oh, no... no... it's just... It's been some time since I've seen a wand choose a witch that quickly. But I must say, Miss Fyelah, You are destined for great things."

You smile brightly and pay for your wand, and setting it carefully in your bag, you head off to finish your school shopping.

An hour and a half had passed, and you are back in your home, bag full. You quickly pack your trunk and gently pet your owl, Kristie, on the head before placing her in the cage, and you quickly take everything downstairs. You give the letter to your parents to the family owl, Leonard, and you head to the fireplace using the floo network once more you hold the trunk and cage in one hand and the floo powder in the other, and you shout out "The Leaky Cauldron!"

One more stumbling out of the fireplace in the pub, you quickly exit with the trunk and owl cage in your hands. You hail a muggle taxi and quickly tell the driver to head to Kings Cross, before hopping into the back.

The ride was short, and once you made it, you paid the muggle cab driver with some muggle money, and carry your trunk and owl cage with you into the train station, getting a cart you set your trunk and owl cage on it and you check your satchel — "Galleons? Check. Train ticket... where did it go... oh! Check. Gloves? Check, books? Check... Alright, I have everything."

You quickly move through the crowd and helplessly look around for Platform 9 3/4, getting more worried when you found nothing. You overhear a very familiar voice say, "It's the same every year, Packed with muggles, of course. Come on! Platform 9 3/4 this way!"

You knew that voice, You quickly moved down to where Mrs Weasley is. "Come on Percy you first." You watch as Percy runs in-between the platforms, then Molly gestures to Fred, "Fred you next!"

"He's not Fred I am! Honestly, woman, You call yourself our mother." George replies while Fred shakes his head, "Oh, Sorry George." Fred moves in place to run.

"I'm only joking, I am Fred," he says before he goes through, the other twin who you assume is George following close behind. A boy with messy black hair and glasses speaks up, "Excuse me!"

You follow quietly behind him, "Could you tell me..." He points to the wall, stumbling over his words. "How to.."

"How to get to the platform?" Molly answers for him. He nods in response. She smiles and ushers him to her side, "Well not to worry dear, It's Ron's first time going to Hogwarts as well!" She gestures to Ron, then notices you standing politely behind the two boys.

"Oh Hazel! It's wonderful seeing you again!"

You smile, happy to see Molly again, "I thought you already were on the train, Where're your parents?"

You swallow hard and look down. "I- I was lost.... and erm... work." Your face heats up with embarrassment. Molly sighs. "Oh, dear. Well, I suppose you need to know how to get on the platform as well?"

You look up, nodding, "Now all you've got to do, Is walk straight through the wall between platforms 9 and 10, Best do it in a bit of a run." She smiles at the two of you. "Good luck." The youngest Weasley you recognize as Ginny, tells the two of you.

The boy with the glasses moves into position and he goes straight through. Molly motions you to move, "Go ahead Hazel, dear. Ron will be right behind you" You nod and run through. You look around amazed at the sight, You quickly board the train.

On the train, you meet a girl named Hermione Granger, who joins you in your compartment after talking for an odd five minutes.

You also get greeted by the girl who you saw in Ollivander's, the girl who was buying her wand with someone else. She looks at you and asks, "Can I sit with you? Everywhere else is full."

You nod politely and she sits down putting her hand out in front of her. Inviting you to take it, "Avery Dahlide."

You smile and shake her hand in response, "Hazel Fyelah, Pleasure to meet you."

The trolley woman slides the door open a while later, interrupting your conversation, "Anything off the trolley dears?"

You nod politely and take out your pouch of galleons, "Bertie Botts, please." You turn to the two girls behind you. "How about you guys? Anything for you? My treat."

Hermione and Avery both refuse. And shrugging, you pay for the candy and resume reading your book about magical creatures while eating your candy.

"Hazel," Hermione starts. You smile while looking at her, "Yes?"

"Is it true, that you absolutely have to be in Ravenclaw?" she asks. You nod sadly looking down at the book resting on your lap. "Sadly, yes. I don't know what I would do if I got sorted into any other House."

It was a mere 15 minutes when Hermione pipes up, reaching for her trunk, "We should get changed." You nod bookmarking, your page and stowing the book away. You get out your robes and move down to the bathroom, Avery and Hermione moving close behind.

One by one you get changed and you head back to the booth with your clothes bundled in your hands.

Hermione stopped by a booth to ask them about a boy's missing toad, a boy whom she'd met earlier. Sitting back down you adjust your Mary Janes and Hermione gets back into the booth. Ready for the moment you arrived at Hogwarts.

After getting out you go to the boats following the giant, who's calling out, "firs' years! Firs' years here." You and Avery push your way through the crowd, grouping around the big man with other first years.

Once all the first years had found their way to the giant, the giant gives the group a big smile and turns around, leading them from the platform. You can hear the gentle thump of his footsteps against pavement as you make your way down to the lake, which stretches big and wide, the school barely visible behind the trees.

The man stops in front of a group of boats and says, "Only four ter a boat, please."

You sit down in a boat with Avery, a blonde boy, who seemed very familiar to you, sat tall but still with a childlike glee in his eyes as he looked at Hogwarts in the distance. You steal a glance at the other person in the boat. His face is expressionless, as if he didn't want anyone to know how he felt about being at Hogwarts. It wasn't long until you were all in the castle, listening to McGonagall as explained the rules of curfew, and what was off limits.

The same blonde boy who was sitting next to you in the boat spoke up, "It's true then, what they're saying on the train, Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." The moment he said those words, a ripple of whispers washed over the hall.

He continued, "And I'm Malfoy, Draco Malfoy." Ron stifles a laugh and Draco sneers at him, "You think my name is funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand-me-down robe. You must be a Weasley."

You knew his last name from your parents. You stare at Draco as he continues to speak, "You'll soon find that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there."

He holds out his hand, but Potter does nothing, "I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself thanks." Just as Harry says that Mrs Mcgonagall comes back and taps Draco on the shoulder. He moves out of the way.

"We're ready for you now. Follow me," says the teacher in a stern voice.

Everyone follows her into the Great hall in lines of two "You will wait along here please, Now before we begin Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words."

Headmaster says what he would like to say, and Professor McGonagall speaks up, instructing the first years on what to do. "Now when I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head and you will be sorted into your houses."

"Hermione Granger." Everything begins to blur together after Draco gets sorted into Slytherin. "Hazel Fyelah." Hearing your name, you began to shake and step forward cautiously and sit down on the stool. McGonagall places the hat on your head "Hmm... A Fyelah..."

You whisper quietly, "Ravenclaw... please Ravenclaw..."

The hat quickly responds to you. "Ravenclaw, hmm? You are very smart yes, but you seem to possess the traits of another house... loyalty... trustworthy... yes..." The hat thinks for a moment before yelling, "better be... HUFFLEPUFF!"

You feel your heart drop at the house the Sorting Hat calls out to the hall. You get off the stool begrudgingly and move towards the Hufflepuff table, slightly shaken.

Sitting down you watch the sorting ceremony continue, your thoughts running wild. What will your parents think? What will they do? What's going to happen to you?

"Avery Dahlide." You watch anxiously hoping she'll be placed in the same house as you. A couple of minutes pass after the hat says a few things here and there and then calls out, "HUFFLEPUFF!" Avery hops off the stool and quickly moves to the table sitting down next to you as she smiles. You feel a bit better with your new friend next to you.

"Don't be upset, Hazel! I'm sure your parents won't be that mad," Avery said, trying to reassure you. You nod showing a weak smile.

A while later all the first years were sorted and Professor Dumbledore stands up "Let the feast... Begin!" Food appears in front of you and your smile placing a modest serving of chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, and a bread roll. You pick up a dessert and place it on the side. With a content sigh, you dig in.

Once the feast ends, the Hufflepuff prefect leads the Hufflepuffs down to the Hufflepuff common room. The prefect taps the barrel, explaining how it has to be in the rhythm of 'Helga Hufflepuff', otherwise you would get dunked in vinegar.

Inside, you found a common room as cozy as home. It had stuffed couches, a crackling fireplace, wooden tables with fresh flowers, and you feel as though you're sitting right in your room.

The prefect smiles, and turns back to face the first years. "Welcome to the Hufflepuff common room. Girls, dormitories are downstairs on the left. Boys, the same but on your right. You'll find some of your belongings have already been brought down."

You walk down with the other girls and boys down to the dormitories and Avery nudged you gently on the shoulder, and you turn your attention to her.

"I hope we get to share a room!"

You smile at the girl. "I hope so too."

You open up the door to your dormitory and go to your bed. Avery follows after you and she jumps onto a bed, quickly claiming it. "Yes!" she says triumphantly.

You laughed lightly at her enthusiasm and went to get out your nightgown to change for bed. You neatly set out your uniform on top of your nightstand for the morning and you climb into bed, quickly escaping into your dreams. 

------

(This chapter has been edited by weasleysnogger hellotamergine and myself!)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

193K 6.8K 96
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
185K 3.9K 46
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
220K 6.4K 75
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
134K 4.7K 39
โ if I knew that i'd end up with you then I would've been pretended we were together. โž She stares at me, all the air in my lungs stuck in my throat...