Forbidden

By Violaplayer44

(Sean Renard) Paityn is Nick's older sister. Also a Grimm just like her brother. They both work on the police... More

Chapter 1 Pilot
Chapter 2 Bears will be Bears
Chapter 3 BeeWare
Chapter 4 Lonelyhearts
Chapter 5 Das Gift von Grimm (Own Idea)
Chapter 5.5 Danse Macabre
Chapter 6 The three bad wolves
Chapter 7 Let Down Your Hair
Chapter 8 Game Ogre
Chapter 9 Of Mouse and Man
Chapter 10 Organ Grinder
Chapter 11 Tarentella
Chapter 12 Last Grimm Standing
Chapter 13 Three Coins in a Fuchsbau
Chapter 14 Plumed Serpent
Chapter 15 Island of Dreams
Chapter 16 The Thing with Feathers
Chapter 17 Love Sick
Chapter 19: Leave It To Beavers
Chapter 20: Happily Ever Aftermath

Chapter 18 Cat and Mouse

372 8 8
By Violaplayer44

(AU: Hello! Thank you all so much for reading my book! As of right now, this is the final chapter I have finished BUT there will be more coming. School and work make it difficult to write sometimes. I hope you enjoy chapter 18 nonetheless though! ) 

"Hey Pait, remember when we found that Seltenvogal who was with the Klaustreich?" Nick asked her over the phone. Paityn scoffed. 

"You mean the Seltenvogal you found? I didn't get to see the darn thing. I was at home, working." Paityn shook her head as she walked. 

"That doesn't matter, I suppose. Hey, what's a synonym for mean?" He asked abruptly. 

"Hold up, first we're talking about Wesen and now writing? Is this another phase?" She asked.

"Definitely not. It's Wesen related if that helps." Nick sighed and she heard his chair squeak as he leaned back. 

"Uh, what's the context?" She asked as she walked along the sidewalk. She was on her way to visit Pearl when Nick had called. 

"I suppose, 'He was mean like the devil?'" Nick questioned himself. 

"Like sadistic?" Paityn answered. 

"Yes! There we go! Oh, thank you Paityn! You have saved me from years of embarrassment." Nick chuckled. 

"What were you gonna put?" She asked curiously. She shook her head knowing it was a stupid question. He was probably gonna put mean. 

"I was gonna put, 'A real ass.' but I decided that doesn't sound formal," Nick admitted. 

"Oh god, Nick. How am I related to you?" Paityn chuckled. "Oh! Before I forget, since I'm 13 weeks pregnant and ending the first trimester I am throwing a party. I have invited you, Monroe, Rosalee, and I still have to tell Hank, Wu, and Juliet." She was gonna have another celebration with Adalind and Pearl due to relationship issues.

"Not Sean?" He asked. 

"It's Sean's condo, of course, he's invited." Paityn chuckled. She abruptly bumped into someone apologizing and quickly hanging up with Nick. "Sorry! Sor...Adalind?" She asked confused. Adalind looked at her. She looked fresh with a new suit on and Paityn tilted her head. 

"Paityn! Good to see you! How have you been?" She asked. 

"We saw each other 3 days ago when I took you out to the mall." Paityn chuckled. "But I'm doing alright. You?" 

"I'm doing Fantastic. In fact, I've got a vacation planned out in a few months and I'm super excited." She smiled at Paityn. 

"Ah! Congrats! You deserve it!" Paityn wrapped her arms around Adalind and Adalind followed suit. When they pulled apart Adalind smiled looking at Paityn's stomach. She had a little baby bump that was a bit more noticeable due to her t-shirt she was wearing. 

"The baby is getting big! How far along are you?" She asked. 

"13 weeks. I'm throwing a mini party but Nick is gonna be there so I planned on throwing a separate thing for you and me." Paityn smiled. Adalind kept smiling. 

"Awe that's so sweet. Send me the details. I gotta go. Work calls." She began walking away and Paityn sighed before continuing to Pearl's house. 

~~~

When Paityn got to Pearl's house, there was a note on the door that stated that Pearl was going to be gone for a few hours and to come back later. Paityn chuckled and she began walking back. As she did so, her phone began ringing. 

"Burkhardt." She answered. 

"Hey, how are you doing?" Sean asked. Paityn smiled. He would do this more and more frequently now. 

"I'm doing fine Sean. I'm taking a quick stroll and now I'm heading back." Paityn waited for a response. 

"Okay, I was just making sure. Hey, did you know at 13 weeks the baby's ears are developed and can probably hear us?" Sean asked. Paityn burst out laughing. 

"Have you been looking up pregnancy facts?" Paityn smiled as she neared her car. 

"Maybe I have. I want to make sure I know what I'm doing and what you're going through." Sean sighed. 

"Awe. You're gonna be a great dad. I know you will." Paityn chirped. Sean chuckled. 

"Thanks, Pait. I'll see you tonight right?" He asked. 

"Of course you will. Love you." Paityn got into her car starting it. 

"I love you too." He hung up the phone and Paityn began driving around instead of going home right away. 

~~~

Paityn arrived home later that night. It was sunset, her favorite part of the day. She enjoyed how no sunset was the same. It was always unique. She set her stuff down and went to go to the window. She got to the window when suddenly she felt a gun against her head and she froze. 

"You're not the captain." A man with a german accent stated. 

"No, I'm his girlfriend. He'll be home in a bit." She explained. 

"Well then, I suppose you won't mind sitting down and staying silent? If you make a noise, I will shoot. I don't care about the baby." He responded. She could only nod as he led her to a chair and sat down. The time ticked by slower and slower with each passing minute. When the door opened and she heard Sean walk in. 

"Paityn! I'm home!" He called. He came in and set his keys down on the counter when the man began speaking in German. 

"Wenn sie verstehen was ich sage, dann lassen sie mich mal wissen." The man said. Sean slowly turned around to face them and looked at Paityn. She gave him a nervous smile. 

"Yes, I understand," Sean whispered. 

"Sehr gut. One can't be too careful when waltzing into a police captain and detective's home before introductions are made." The man said as he put away his gun. Paityn watched carefully as Sean pulled out his gun aiming it at him.

"So true." Sean gave Paityn another look that told her not to move and to stay quiet. She could only nod. The man rose his hands, showing them a symbol on his palm. 

"I was just, uh, following protocol." He said. 

"I don't care if you are working for the Verrat. The next time you come into my house uninvited, I'll shoot you. In self-defense of course." Sean put away his gun and Paityn stayed still and silent in the chair, not wanting to be shot. She just knew this man would shoot her if she didn't listen. 

"My dear captain, if you didn't speak German, you'd be dead by now. But, may I introduce myself? My name is Edgar Waltz." Edgar finally stated. 

"Before you ask any questions, what did you do to my girlfriend?" Sean asked. Edgar looked at Paityn and she looked back at him staying silent. 

"I did nothing. She got here before you and I told her if she moved or made a noise I'd shoot her. But now that you're here I don't need to." He gave Sean a small smile and Paityn stayed sitting, worried her knees would give out on her. She looked over at Sean seeing his eyes fill with a rage she hadn't ever seen before. 

"Who are you hunting?" He asked. His words had a bite to them. 

"His name is Ian Harmon," Edgar explained. 

"What's he done?" Sean asked taking a drink of an alcoholic beverage. 

"He's a leader of the resistance. One of the few still alive." Edgar sighed. Paityn looked at Sean and then at Edgar watching for any signs of incoming violence. 

"No, what's he done here in Portland?" Sean asked. 

"I don't know and I don't care. Time is of the essence and I need to find him. We believe the resistance has established a presence here to harbor fugitives and make them disappear." Edgar emphasized. Paityn stood up slowly while holding onto the arms of the chair and walked beside Sean. 

"The Verrat's problem is with the resistance. They're not my problems." Sean grabbed Paityn's hand as he walked away from Edgar over to the window and Paityn sighed in relief. 

"Maybe your past is not as far away as you think." Edgar sighed. 

"What's that supposed to mean?" Paityn asked without thinking and Sean quickly intervened. 

"The Verrat does not make decisions for me," Sean growled. 

"The high command will not be happy about that," Edgar smirked. Paityn glared at him.

"We're not concerned about them. We have other issues to worry about." Paityn growled. Sean carefully put an arm in front of Paityn and Edgar took a step towards her. 

"Yes, raising a child is quite difficult I've heard. Especially one that's going to be part witch part, Grimm." Edgar chuckled. 

"He's not a witch you Idiot. Entirely different thing." Paityn growled. 

"Paityn, enough," Sean whispered. 

"Sean is a Zauberbiest. But you know what else? He's also part human. It's not a witch, it's not a sorcerer, he's a Zauberbiest. My, Zauberbiest. He's ten times the man you'll ever be and you know it." Paityn pushed Sean's arm out of the way and began taking steps forward. She watched Edgar's arm twitch toward the side his gun was on. "Let me tell you this, Edgar. You fucking threaten my boyfriend, or my child again, I'll personally find you and gut you like a damn fish. Do you understand me?" Paityn growled. Sean looked at her impressed but also worried. She was right by his face and Edgar had his hand on his gun handle. 

"I understand perfectly well. I hope your Latin, captain, is as good as your German." Edgar took a step back from Paityn. "Si vis pacem, para bellum." He said and then he walked out. Paityn sighed in relief and Sean looked at her. 

"Si vis pacem, para bellum." He thought about it. Paityn gave him a small smile. 

"If you seek peace, prepare for war," she spoke. He looked at her shocked. "I know very little Latin." Sean suddenly went over to her and kissed her. 

"I love what you did back there, but I never want you to do that again, do you hear me?" He said. Paityn looked at him confused. 

"I wanted to defend you. He threatened you and the child. No mother is going to let that slide by." She tilted her head. 

"I know, but this happens a lot and I need you to be very careful with guys like him. The Verrat is dangerous." Sean explained. 

"I can tell. What is the Verrat?" She asked. He sighed and motioned for her to sit down. 

~~~

Paityn woke up the next morning from a call. She looked at the caller ID seeing it was Nick. 

"Hey, what do we got?" She asked. 

"Just some blood. I'll send you the address." Nick said. Paityn hummed and hung up as Nick sent her the address. She looked over at the other side of the bed. It was empty. Sean always woke up early to go to work. That was just him. 

She got out of bed and walked to the kitchen seeing the maid cleaning up. She gave her a friendly smile. 

"Good morning Paityn! Sean left you some eggs and bacon if you want any." The maid smiled. 

"I would love some, however, I just got a call and have to head out. Save it for later?" Paityn asked and the maid just laughed and nodded. 

"Will do dear. Be safe out there." She smiled. 

"I will. See you later." Paityn smiled and walked out the door. 

~~~

Paityn pulled up seeing Wu waiting for them with Hank and Nick. Paityn waved to let them know she was there. 

"Hey! Look at you!" Wu smiled and Paityn hugged him smiling as Wu hugged her back. "Welcome back." Wu moved back from the hug. 

"I feel very welcomed. What do we got?" Paityn asked. They began walking to the opposite side of the road. 

"Apparently the gunman crossed the street here. Fired three times. Hence, a broken car window, The defacing of our friendly visitor greeting. The best guess is, the bloodstain belongs to bullet number 3." Wu stated. 

"So somebody got hit." Hank summarized. 

"But there's no body. Maybe it's Koolaid." Paityn joked. Wu looked at her. 

"I ain't licking it to find out, that's for sure. There is no body yet, but the search is ongoing. No blood trail to follow, so we cordoned off five blocks." Wu pointed behind Hank. 

"Any description of the shooter or the vic?" Hank asked. 

"We got a witness at the bus station awaiting your arrival. Maybe surveillance tape, and, can I see that, please?" Wu asked a police officer behind them. The officer gave him a bag with a bullet in it. Hank took it to look at it and sighed. 

"9 Millimeter." Hank sounded impressed. 

"Yep. Let's talk to the witness." Nick sighed and they walked back across the street. When they got over there they asked him what he saw. 

"I didn't see the shooter, but I saw the guy that was on my bus. He left this hat on the seat." The driver handed Hank the hat. "I tried to catch up to him, but he was moving way to fast. Then I saw the car window shatter, I didn't know what the hell was going on. Figured it was some kind of gang thing." 

"What can you tell us about him?" Paityn asked. 

"His name." The driver said. He pulled out a bunch of tickets and pulled one specific one out. "This is the ticket he used to board the bus. Paid in cash. Lester Cullum. Had one of those old leather rucksacks. We don't see too many of those anymore. British, I think. He had an accent. Anyway, the name Lester Cullum sounds kind of British." He shrugged. Nick smiled and Paityn chuckled a small bit. 

~~~

Paityn was back at the station sitting at her desk. Sean had assigned her some paperwork since he didn't want her doing too many violent cases. 

"You should be able to see him, top right," Wu said. 

"That's gotta be him," Nick said as he kneeled to look. "Average height, average build, rucksack." 

"That'll narrow it down." Wu sighed. 

"Any luck with the I.D.?" Hank asked sitting down on the desk. 

"We're having a little trouble connecting Lester Cullum to anybody. It could be an alias. What about the bullet?" Paityn looked up from her work. 

"They thought it was a regular 9 millimeter. It's not. According to ballistics, the makeup of the brass identifies the company as Deutsche Waffen Munitions, who manufactured their bullets for their luger semi-automatic pistols." Hank summarized. Paityn looked at Hank and Nick confused as Wu leaned back. 

"What is this, 1944?" Wu asked. 

"Actually it was introduced in 1902," Hank smirked and Wu looked around like this was crazy. He wasn't wrong. 

"I think that eliminates a gang shooting. More like a hit gone wrong. So we got a shooter on the loose." Nick compiled. 

"And nothing from hospitals. Nobody showing up with bullet wounds in the last 12 hours." Wu said spinning in his chair. 

"We should check with the St. Louis PD, where Lester Cullum boarded the bus. See if we can get any hits on him there." Hank went back to his chair. 

"If we've got a shooter still out there, and the guy he's after is still alive, he's gonna try again." Nick shook his head. 

~~~

They got a call a few hours later, dead bartender. They got there quite quickly. Nick grabbed a bullet that was found.

"Same casing as the bus station. 9X19-millimeter Parabellum." Nick stood upright and Paityn shook her head. 

"That can't be a coincidence." Paityn crossed her arms over her chest. 

"Single bullet to the head. No muss, no fuss. The killer came in here with a plan." Wu explained.

"Which looks like 'Get the money and get out.'" Nick looked at the victim. 

"He might've tried to fight back." Hank sighed walking. He grabbed a passport off the table. "Passport here. Ian Harmon." Hank handed it to Paityn who analyzed it. 

"Huh. Kind of looks like the guy the bus driver I.D.'d." Wu said from behind her making her jump in surprise not knowing he was there. 

"Don't do that!" Paityn playfully hit his shoulder laughing and Wu chuckled. 

"Wasn't he the victim?" Hank asked confused. 

"Victims need money too." Nick sighed. Wu got a call on his radio telling him there was a witness outside. 

"Got a possible witness outside, who wants him?" Wu asked. 

"I got this," Paityn said. Nick looked at her unsure and she smiled. "Trust me. Non-violent." Paityn walked out not recognizing the man but he sure did and he gave her a confused look. 

"I'm detective Burkhardt," Paityn said. She pulled out a small notebook. She looked at him seeing his confused face but he shook his head continuing. 

"Hi, detective. I was across the street and I saw this man come running, and I didn't think anything of it at first." He had an American accent which was probably the reason Paityn didn't recognize him. "Then the police cars came here and they told me the bartender was shot." He said. 

"Could you identify the man you saw?" She asked. 

"If I saw him again, maybe." The man shook his head as if trying to remember. "Did you arrest anybody yet?" He asked. 

"Not yet no. We're working on it." Paityn got the passport open to the face and showed it to him. "This the man you saw?" She asked. Suddenly he woged and Paityn froze for a second. She saw his shocked expression when he woged back and she sighed. "Take it easy." She carefully said. 

"I'm sorry, I was only trying to help." He said. 

"I just want to know if this is the man you saw." She lifted the passport and he looked at it.

"Yes ma'am, yeah that's him." He said. 

"Alright, I'm gonna need your name and number just in case we need confirmation on the I.D." Paityn took a pen out getting ready to write. 

"Yes of course. Max, Kurtz." He started spelling out his last name as Paityn wrote it down. 

~~~

Paityn was back at the station with Sean. He was currently looking at the passport. 

"Possible motive for killing the bartender was the money in the register," Nick stated. 

"But our suspect was supposed to be wounded when he got off the bus." Hank summarized. 

"Could explain his inspiration. Any identification on the man who shot Harmon?" Sean asked. 

"Nothing. He wasn't on the bus, didn't show up on surveillance cameras. The bar didn't have any security except the alarm and..." Paityn started. 

"But it was off." Hank finished. 

"Alright, let's pull out all the stops. Find the one we know, Harmon." Sean handed Nick back the passport. "Hopefully he'll lead us to whoever shot him. And check with Scotland yard, see if they have any record on Harmon. Might help us identify who this other man is." Sean sighed as they walked out. Abruptly, Nick got a phone call. 

"Yeah, Burkhardt," Nick said. Paityn looked at him seeing him look at her at the same time. When he hung up, Paityn tilted her head confused. 

"What's goin' on?" She asked. 

"Well, Monroe wants to talk." He whispered so only she could hear. 

"Do you need me to come with?" She asked. Nick shook his head.

 "I'll call you if we need anything, promise." Nick smiled and Paityn nodded. 

"Be safe." She yelled as he left. He gave her a thumbs up and she glanced over to Sean's office seeing his phone ring. 

~~~

"Yeah?" Sean answered. 

"Wie Geht's captain. How is your day?" Edgar asked. 

"Where are you?" Sean asked threateningly. 

"I'm enjoying your city. It's really quite nice. It reminds me a little of Firenze. So have you made any progress on that terrible murder at the bar?" He asked. 

"You laid out the evidence a little too obviously for my taste," Sean replied.

"Well, if you'd helped me when I asked, we wouldn't be having this conversation. You needed a reason to find Ian, and now you have it. I'm glad you're taking it seriously now. You never know when a desperate man like that will strike again. By the way, I liked your detective, Burkhardt. There's more to her than meets the eye." Sean could practically hear the smirk in his voice. 

"What do you want?" Sean asked bitterly. He glanced up at Paityn seeing her watching him concerned. 

"I want to know why you didn't tell me she was a Grimm. She could be very useful, her and the baby. Why don't you make that happen." Edgar smirked. Sean was trying not to snap and Paityn could see it. 

"She doesn't know about me." Sean lied. 

"Then you are playing a very dangerous game, my dear captain." Edgar then hung up. Sean sighed heavily and put the phone down. Paityn quietly knocked on the door. 

"Everything alright?" She asked. Sean sighed and looked at her. 

"Are you okay?" He asked. She nodded. 

"Yes, I'm okay. Sean, what's going on?" She asked. 

"It's nothing, as long as you're okay." He sighed and he took some paperwork. Paityn wanted to push it, but she couldn't as long as she was at work. 

"Okay. Let me know if you need anything." Paityn said and she walked out of the room back to the desk. 

"Everything alright?" Hank asked. 

"Yeah, Sean's just not telling me something. I'll figure it out." Paityn sighed and leaned her head on the desk.

~~~

Later that night, Paityn got home an hour or so before Sean would. She sighed and went to the kitchen beginning to make some pancakes with blueberries. She wanted to make sure he would tell her what was going on. When she finished making the pancakes she got a phone call. 

"Burkhardt." She answered. 

"Hello, Detective. We've met already, my name is Edgar Waltz. Apparently, you and I have something in common. We're both looking for Ian Harmon." Edgar stated. 

"Where are you?" She asked. She tried to hide any form of fear in her voice. 

"Do you know the terms of a freidenreden?" He asked. 

"Yeah, Yeah I do." Paityn gulped nervously. 

"So let's just say, Union Station at 10 O'clock?" He asked. 

"How will I find you?" She asked. 

"Oh trust me, dear, that won't be a problem." He said and hung up. Paityn cursed several times and paced the room waiting for Sean to come home. As soon as the doorknob turned she was ready. 

"I'm..."Sean started but Paityn quickly interrupted him. 

"Sean, I need your help." She stated quickly. He looked at her concerned. 

"Why what's wrong?" He asked. He could see she was nervous by the way her hands were shaking and she was sweating pinballs. 

"What's a Freidenreden?" She asked. Sean's eyes hardened. 

"Who talked to you?" He asked. 

"Sean please, I have 30 minutes." She pleaded. 

"I need to know who asked you." He demanded. 

"Fine, it was Edgar! Sean please!" Paityn felt a tear roll down her face and Sean sighed. 

"It's a term we use for meetings or truces. But you both have to show up unarmed and you leave of your own accord. Problem is, as soon as you turn your back, anything goes." Sean ran his hand over his head. "You seriously cannot go," Sean said. 

"I have to. I don't have a choice." Paityn began to try and walk past and Sean grabbed her arm. "Sean..."Paityn warned. He didn't say anything for a moment and Sean looked at her. 

"At least take a gun and hide it." He whispered. Paityn looked at him shocked. 

"I already have one." Paityn nodded and Sean let go of her. She walked out getting her car and drove off. 

~~~

She arrived directly at 10. She walked inside slowly. Her heart was racing. Her palms were sweaty as she held them in her pockets. She knew she was pale. 

"Detective Burkhardt." She heard from her left. She looked over, seeing him and she felt her heart drop. "I admire punctuality." 

"Hands out of your pockets please," Paityn asked. 

"Well, you too" He smirked. They both slowly took their hands out of their pockets. 

"So I guess you really did witness the murder of the bartender." Paityn surmised. 

"Yes, I really did," Edgar stated. Paityn had to hold back a shiver on how nonchalantly he said that. She had to fake her bravery. She didn't know enough about her own self to be able to handle all this. 

"Just so you know, once this little truce of yours is over, I'm arresting your ass for murder," Paityn growled. 

"If you try to arrest me, you'd better be armed. Which means you violated the rules." He smirked. Paityn growled slightly. 

" I don't give a damn about your rules," Paityn replied. Edgar smirked and patted his chest. 

"I brought mine too. You see, rules are made to be broken." Edgar stated. Paityn's blood ran cold. "Before you get all bold and brash, take a look around and count the number of innocent victims that will die if you attempt to arrest me." He taunted. Paityn looked around and then back at Edgar. "Let's not waste time. I want Ian Harmon. You can find him." 

"So you can murder him. I don't see how this will work." Paityn stalled. 

"Oh, it will. You're a Grimm, I'm a Hundjager, we're not friends but we've always been, how should I put it, allies of convenience." Edgar stated.

"Not around here we haven't," Paityn said. Edgar took a step forward and was nearly touching her. 

"If you don't help me find Ian Harmon in the next 24 hours, people are going to start dropping." He started and he put his hand on her stomach making her take in a sharp breath of air. "I can't promise anything for the baby." He smirked and backed up to take a call. When he finished Paityn was trying not to hyperventilate. "If you attempt to follow me, I will shoot the first person I see." He smiled and then turned and left. Paityn collapsed to her knees as tears streamed down her face. She fumbled for her phone. She went to call Sean but she called Nick instead. 

"Paityn? Everything alright?" She heard him ask. Paityn walked outside quickly. 

"Nick I, I just spoke with Edgar. Oh god Nick, he threatened me and the baby." Paityn kept wiping her tears. 

"Where are you? I'm coming to pick you up." Nick demanded. 

"I'm at union station. Nick, It was horrifying. I don't think I've ever been this terrified." Paityn hiccuped and she leaned against the wall. 

"Okay. Tell Sean to meet us at the station. I'll see you in a bit." Nick said. He hung up and Paityn texted Sean with shaking hands to meet them at the station. She couldn't spell anything due to her shaking and she had no choice but to call him.

"Sean, you need to meet us at the station." Paityn tried to sound brave and not let her voice crack but it did. 

"Paityn are you okay? what happened?" He asked. 

"Sean, just meet us at the station, Nick is picking me up." Paityn hung up and she kept wiping her tears off her face. When Nick showed up he got out rushing over to her. Paityn wrapped her arms around him tightly and Nick followed suit. 

"It's okay. I got you. You're safe now." Nick whispered. 

"There's no way I'll find him in 24 hours Nick. The baby is going to die." Paityn whimpered. Nick shook his head. 

"I know where he is. We need to protect him. Let's just get to the station." Nick said. 

~~~

When they got there, Paityn was told to sit at the desks while Nick and Hank discussed everything with Sean. Paityn was too much of a mess to do anything. Wu had gotten what they needed but decided to check on Paityn first, seeing she was such a mess. 

"You alright?" He asked. Paityn shook her head. 

"No, but I'll be alright. I just need to sleep." Paityn looked at Wu seeing his concerned look. She gave him a small smile and he nodded. She thought of him as a brother and he thought of her as a sister. She stood up and as soon as she stood up, Wu hugged her carefully. 

"Be safe, okay?" He whispered. She nodded and he let go of the hug going to the office. She sat back down in her chair.

When Nick and Hank walked out Nick gave her a concerned look. He walked over to her and kneeled in front of her. 

"Do you want to come with?" He asked. She nodded. 

"Just, just let me talk to Sean really quickly," Paityn whispered and Nick nodded. She stood up and walked over to Sean's office. He stood up and practically ran over to her. He picked her up wrapping his arms around her and holding her close while she wrapped her legs around his waist and her arms around his torso. 

"I should have never let you go. You could have died." He whispered. She didn't say anything. She just held onto him feeling safe in his arms. "I gotta go." He whispered. 

"I'm going with. I'm useless as a cop if I can't stand up to one guy." Paityn let go of him and he set her down. 

"Paityn, I don't think that's a good idea in your state. It's probably not good for the baby or for you." He whispered. She shook her head. 

"I know, but I can handle this. If we're just going to a building with everyone, I'll be alright." Paityn confirmed. Sean sighed. 

"Fine, but if he's there, and he hurts anyone, you get out of the building as fast as you can move okay?" He asked. She nodded. 

~~~

They pulled up to the building and got out. Paityn pulled her gun out aiming it inside as they walked in. She stayed close to Sean no matter what. Suddenly Nick finds the body and the burner phone. He checks the man's pulse and Paityn kneels down by Nick. 

"Ian's with Rosalee isn't he?" Paityn whispered so only Nick could hear. 

"Yeah, you can't go there right now, I don't think he knows about you." He sighed. 

"It's fine. I'll come up with a lie." Paityn stood up and went outside. Sean followed concerned. 

"Paityn? You alright?" He asked. She nodded. 

"Just a bit dizzy. I'm gonna check the perimeter. By the looks of the body, it's fresh so he has to be around somewhere." Paityn explained. He looked around. 

"Do I need to send anyone with you just to be safe?" Sean asked. She shook her head. 

"I have my phone. I'll be alright." She smiled. He nodded and kissed her head softly before heading back inside. She began the walk to the spice shop. As soon as she got there she saw Monroe pull up. He got out and went over to her with Ian. He looked at her confused. 

"Paityn? What are you doing here?" He asked. 

"I came to help. Edgar is here. I know it." She said. 

"I know. We've known for a bit now. He has Rosalee. We're waiting on Nick." Monroe sighed. Paityn looked at Ian and then at Monroe. "Ah. Ian, Paityn Burkhardt, Nick's sister." Ian nodded. 

"Grimm?" He asked. 

"Unfortunately." Paityn sighed. Nick suddenly pulled up. 

"I have a plan." He said quickly. 

"Oh thank god." Monroe sighed. 

Nick explained the plan and Paityn was first to go inside. 

"Waltz," Paityn said. Her hands were raised, and this time, she was completely calm. 

"How did you know?" He asked. 

"You want Ian? I got him." Paityn said. 

"What!" Rosalee asked shocked. 

"Shut up! Get on the floor. Get on the floor!" Waltz said to Rosalee. She gave Paityn a look that said 'you better know what you're doing' but Paityn gave her a reassuring smile. "Where is he?" Then, Monroe and Nick walked in. 

"Woah!" Monroe yelled. 

"Who are you two?" He asked. 

"We're the guys she called we got Ian, who is she?" Nick said. 

"What the hell is going on here?" Waltz said. He couldn't figure out who to point the gun at.

"You're gonna believe a couple of Fuchsbau?" Paityn motioned to Nick and Monroe.

"What are you trying to say?" Monroe growled. 

"Well, I'm saying you guys are liars." Paityn shrugged. 

"All Fuchsbaus are liars. Who did you call?" Waltz looked at Rosalee. 

"I didn't call a Fuchsbau," Rosalee smirked. Waltz looked at the three of them confused. 

"She's right. We're not Fuchsbau." Monroe then woged into a blutbad. 

"Blutbad." Waltz got ready to fire when Rosalee chucked a powder in his face and Monroe tackled him to the ground. Suddenly, Nick, Paityn, and Ian had a gun trained on Edgar. 

"It's over," Paityn growled. 

"No, it's not." Edgar raised his hand that held the Verrat mark. 

"Ian, put the gun down please," Paityn asked. 

"He's right. Even if he's dead, they'll send others after me." Ian said and then shot him twice while Paityn tried to stop him. "At least your friends will be safe. Sometimes it's hard to know what the right thing to do is." Ian handed her the gun. 

"Sometimes it's not." Nick looked at him shocked while pulling out handcuffs. 

~~~

Paityn walked out with Nick and Ian as Nick led Ian to his car in cuffs. 

"Nick, please! If the Verrat knows where Ian is..."Rosalee started. 

"You've got other things to worry about," Nick exclaimed. Rosalee went and hugged Ian and Paityn leaned against the wall, all of tonight's events catching up in one fell swoop. She felt a hand on her shoulder and she saw Monroe looking at her concerned. 

"You alright? You looked pale." He asked. Paityn nodded. 

"Yeah, I'm just exhausted. I gotta get home." Paityn tried to take a step forward but collapsed into Monroe's arms. 

"Rosalee, Rosalee help." Monroe carefully held Paityn while Rosalee got the door open and got her inside to the bed. 

"I think she's just exhausted. Call someone on her phone, have them pick her up, we gotta deal with this body." Rosalee sighed stressed. Monroe grabbed Paityn's phone and looked through her contacts. 

"Pearl. Sounds good." He dialed her number and he heard a female answer the phone. 

"Paityn, do you know what time it is?" Pearl said. 

"Uh, this is a friend of Paityn's. My name is Monroe, Paityn passed out and we need someone to take her home. I saw you in her contacts and thought you could help." Monroe said. 

"Where are you? I can come and pick her up." Pearl was heard getting out of bed. 

"The spice shop, do you know where it is?" He asked. 

"The spice shop? Freddy used to work there. I'll be there in a jiffy."

~~~

Paityn woke up the next morning in an unknown area. She sat up slowly wincing at a headache. 

"Hello?" She asked. Pearl abruptly burst into her room making Paityn yelp. 

"Morning! I made breakfast!" Pearl smiled. Paityn's head was spinning. 

"Pearl, quiet, please. Headache." Paityn held her head and Pearl rushed out grabbing Tylenol.  Paityn stood up and walked out seeing a sandwich made for her with orange juice and two Tylenol pills. "Thank you. How'd I get here?" Paityn winced as she took the Tylenol. 

"Your friend Monroe called me. He said you passed out and that I should come and pick you up. I checked, by the way, your baby is okay." Pearl smiled. Paityn nodded and ate the sandwich carefully and drank the orange juice. 

"Shit. I still have to call Sean. Stay quiet just for a moment." Paityn called Sean and he answered almost immediately. 

"Paityn? Where are you? Are you okay? Why didn't you come home?" He asked quickly. 

"I'm sorry, I passed out. I ended up at a friend's house but I'm okay. Just a headache." Paityn sat down and sighed. 

"Oh thank god. I'm coming to get you. Can you text me your address?" He asked. 

"Sean, I can have my friend drive me to the station. I'll be alright." She smiled. 

"That's what you said last night. I'm going to pick you up whether or not I have to trace you." Sean said. Paityn sighed knowing he was just worried for good reason. 

"Pearl, I need your address." Paityn sighed. Pearl gave it to her and she she texted it to Sean. 

~~~

When Paityn was in the car it was silent. Sean didn't say anything and neither did Paityn. When they finally did speak, it was because Sean pulled over. 

"Sean? What are you doing?" She asked. He took a deep breath and looked at her. 

"Do you have any idea how worried sick I've been for hours? I stayed up all night, waiting. Just for a text or for a call." Sean looked at her and she looked down. 

"I'm sorry Sean. I would've called but I couldn't." Paityn clenched her hands together and she felt tears stream down her face. She suddenly felt arms wrap around her and pull her close. Paityn managed to unbuckle herself and let Sean pull her over to his side. Paityn stayed close to him and she felt him nuzzle his head into her shoulder. 

"You don't know how scared I was."He whispered. Paityn gently kissed his cheek and stayed close to him, just the two of them holding each other. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6K 98 11
Trubel returns from Santiago. While on a case Nick and Trubel encounter a mysterious new Wesen.
34.8K 1K 24
Y/N Grimm is a very strong, opinionated, intelligent, and sometimes a smart ass, independent woman. Although she is the younger sister of the famous...
69.5K 892 78
PART 1. (Completed but being updated and rewritten.) Reed Rose was an unintended side effect of Summer's pregnancy. Too beaten and broken, both physi...
2.6K 140 20
Asher Sarge Rose is the twin brother of Ruby Rose, so follow this twin as he goes on crazy and wild adventures in Remnant. Follow Asher Rose and Team...