FLIGHTLESS BIRD // Detroit Be...

By midnightXcross

Detroit: Become Human AU, where it is instead set in a high school. --- He flew past you. That was the best... More

Chapter 1: Falling Swan
Chapter 2: Finding Your Feet
Chapter 3: Secrets and Truths
Chapter 4: The Detective
Chapter 5: It's A Date
Chapter 6: Cupid Kara
Chapter 7: Fairy Godmother
Chapter 8: The Party
Chapter 9: Mystery
Chapter 10: Class Rep
Chapter 11: Friends and Strangers
Chapter 12: Dancing Through The Past
Chapter 13: Searching For An Answer
Chapter 15: Cain
Chapter 16: Fallen
Chapter 17: Matched
Chapter 18: Jericho
Chapter 19: Alarm
Chapter 20: Missing
Chapter 21: Conflicting Feelings
Chapter 22: Trapped
Author Note
Chapter 23: Mission
Chapter 24: Doubt
Chapter 25: Reasons To Smile
Chapter 26: Destruction
Chapter 27: Darkness
Chapter 28: Burning Feelings
Chapter 29: Water's Edge
Chapter 30: Pretenses
Chapter 31: Game Of Life
Chapter 32: Reason

Chapter 14: Trouble

695 41 88
By midnightXcross

Although the situation between Markus and Connor had improved, it was still difficult for you to be around both of them at once. You sensed their distrust towards each other. You did not know what they could have possibly gone through in the past, but somehow, you felt it was your responsibility to make things right. Even if that would be somewhat difficult.

As you tried to focus on your school work, your mind wandered over possibilities of how to help the two boys. Bringing them together didn't seem to be solving anything. And they seemed reluctant to discuss their differences. The reason why they disliked each other was unknown to you. But surely you could make things better somehow.

The first thing you would need to do would be to research. And the first person you could think of to ask, was Kara.

After you spent lunch with Kara and Connor the previous day, you were surprised when he wasn't there the following day, as you joined Kara at her table. She waved excitedly at you, and Luther beside her gave you a warm smile.

"No Connor today?" Kara asked, looking around you.

"Yeah, he wasn't in class, and I couldn't find him afterwards."

"He must be skipping again," Kara mused, a slight pout on her face. "Honestly, he never gets in trouble for that."

"Only in Mr Anderson's class." You giggled, then looked around. Connor, or Markus, were no where in sight. The other's in the cafeteria were eating, quietly talking amongst themselves. You leaned closer to Kara. "Kara, I need your advice."

"Uh oh, girl advice?!" She glanced at Luther. "Looks like you'll need to go Luther."

"No, he can stay." You laughed, and Luther smiled.

"Don't worry. Luther can keep a secret," Kara continued, leaning closer to you. "Is this about Connor, or Markus?" You felt your face immediately turn red.

"H-How did you know?!"

"Ohh I can just tell," Kara replied, a smirk on her face. Luther continued to quietly eat a sandwich, seemingly uninterested in the conversation.

"It's about both of them actually," You told her, whispering, "It's about their relationship."

Luther suddenly choked on his sandwich. He coughed a few times, trying to clear his throat. Kara glanced at him,  then back at you, a question in her eyes.

"I meant that they can't stop arguing every time they're around each other," You explained, your face flushing even more. "It's a serious problem!!"

Luther finally calmed down, and covered his mouth to try and hide his laughter.

"They've been like that ever since they first came to this school," Kara replied, "I think they met in their first year."

"Really?" You leaned closer, wondering what Connor and Markus must have been like as freshmen.

"Yeah... Markus was very popular. He was well-known throughout the school. He might not look like it, but he's quite creative. His art and piano skills made him interesting." Kara thought for a moment, before continuing, "He was less studious than he is now. Much more easier going, and welcoming to others. He used to have girls lining up to get his attention."

"What about Connor?"

Kara hesitated, seemingly unsure of what to say. "I've known Connor for almost all my life. We went to the same elementary school together. He was always... well..." She glanced at Luther.

"On the outside, he seemed very stoic, almost robotic," Luther explained, "He was really just shy and awkward. But no one seemed to notice that."

"He had an very intelligent aura," Kara interjected. "I think he used to be that way because as a child, he lived with his step-mother."

"He lived with his step-mother?" You had not known that until now. Did that mean that he grew up with Cain too?

"He kept that part hidden, because he didn't want anyone else to know." Kara paused, seemingly thinking of the past. "After he moved back in with his dad, he got a lot better. His dad encouraged him to join the football team, and Connor stopped focusing on his studies so much."

"But that doesn't make sense," You interrupted. "I heard Mr Anderson once saying that he wanted Connor to be more like Cain."

Kara glanced worriedly at Luther. "I've known Connor and his dad for a long time. I sometimes think of Mr Anderson as my own dad too... Mr Anderson doesn't think his parenting skills are that good. He thinks he shouldn't have encouraged Connor to focus less on his studies. He thinks Cain is an example of what a good child should be like." She rolled her eyes at Luther. "And we all know that's not true."

You blinked in surprise at them. It seemed this situation was far more complicated than you could have ever imagined.

"You shouldn't get involved [F/N]," Kara said, as if reading your thoughts. "They have both been through some difficult things... I don't want you to get hurt."

"I understand," You replied, gazing down at your food. Suddenly the bell ringed.

"I have to drop something off at the head office," Kara said, standing up from the table. "Want to come with?"

"Oh, I have to return some books at the library," You murmured, also standing up. "It shouldn't take long."

You darted out of the cafeteria, returning to your locker before the corridor became too packed with students. You grabbed your books, and walked outside, finding the library just down the path. Your heart warmed when you saw it. You always loved libraries.

You returned your books, before wandering around the shelves, allowing your fingers to trail over the spines. So much knowledge in a single place... was there something here that could help you with Connor and Markus too? You decided to continue your search, reading the various titles in your mind, pulling some off the shelf to flick through. Surely with all this information, you could find something that would help, right?

Before you knew it, you were lost in the words. You chose several books to borrow, and returned to the counter, completely startled to discover the fading sun at the sky. Had you really been at the library for that long?!

You quickly checked out the books, and walked outside. From the quiet path outside, and the absent school building, it was clear that you had missed the rest of the school day. You sighed, hoping that your history teacher wouldn't give you detention. You wandered down the steps, distracted by the fading sunset. It was beautiful, in all it's crimson and violet hues. You hurried down the path, hoping that there was still enough light for you to walk home safely. Maybe you should catch a bus?

One of the bricks in the pavement stuck out loosely, and without warning, you stumbled over it, dropping your books in a heap. You groaned, struggling up and beginning to scoop together your books.

"Well... what do we have here?" A male voice said, turning your blood cold. You looked up, discovering the man who had attacked Markus that day at school. Was his name... Leo?

Beside him was a muscular man, who looked far older than a high school student. He gave you a dangerous looking smirk. With them were two girls who you had never seen before, one with dyed blue hair, and one with brown hair, cropped close to her head. Forgetting about your books, you backed away, rising to your feet. These people were clearly dangerous. The blue haired girl stepped on one of the books you dropped, deliberately dragging it under her foot. The larger man suddenly stepped towards you, and you flinched, again, moving back a step. He looked you up and down. You vaguely remembered Kara telling you his name. Gavin Reed?

"I haven't seen you around here before..." He mused, his eyes finally meeting yours. "If I had seen you before, I would remember it." A shiver ran down your spine, but you remained standing tall. You did not reply to him. You did not want a quaver in your voice to give away your fear.

"Oh shut up Gavin, she's mine," Leo interupted. Gavin turned his glare on Leo, who returned it just the same. Leo then stepped closer, a smirk on his lips. "You got in my way last week. It caused me some trouble... How will you repay me for that?"

"I-I didn't... I wasn't trying to get in your way, I was just going home.."

The blue haired girl laughed. "The little mouse can squeak."

Your eyes wandered around the group of bullies. If you were quick, you might be able to duck around them, and make a run for it. You braced yourself, preparing to dart away when you might be able to.

Gavin noticed your change in expression, and suddenly, he shoved you back against the wall. You were on the path behind the library, a path that was rarely used, especially at this time of evening. You could scream...

Gavin clamped a hand over your mouth, and you kicked and struggled, trying desperately to break free. The girl with the short brown hair moved to watch the path, ensuring that no one would catch them. 

"What did you think when you saw me punching Markus?" Leo murmured, stepping closer to you, rolling up his sleeve. "Did you think he was weak? Worthless?" He leaned close to you, his disgusting breath on your face. "Nothing?"

You struggled against Gavin, the sudden movement causing him to drop his hand from your face.

"The only one who is weak is you Leo."

Gavin clamped his hand over your mouth again, but it was too late. Leo seethed with fury. Without warning, his leg shot out, and kicked you in the side. You buckled over, only being supported by Gavin who had you pinned against the wall. Leo kicked you again, this time, in your lower leg. You whimpered, pain shooting up your left side. 

"Don't leave a mark Leo," Blue-hair muttered.

"Oh don't worry, I won't leave a mark." He leaned in, grabbing you by the collar. "No one will know what happened here. And if you say anything, no one will believe you." He laughed cruelly. "Who would believe you anyway? A little mouse like you should be crawling on the ground, where you belong..." He leaned so close, so close that you thought he was about to kiss you. Then suddenly, Leo pushed you down, and Gavin's arms released you, causing you to stumble face first onto the ground. You curled up on the ground, as Leo began to kick you relentlessly. Your head pounded as he dug his heel on your arm. Surely it would break? But no... Leo was experienced. Leo would be sure that no one would see the damage. Gavin leaned closer, and you curled away, wincing as your aching limbs moved. 

"You know, she's not bad looking..." He mused, "Nice face... good body..." He trailed a hand over your cheek, and you gritted your teeth. "Should we have some fun Leo?"

"Don't!" The brown haired girl hissed. "You'll get caught."

"No one will know..." Leo replied, catching onto Gavin's idea. "You can keep quiet, can't you little mouse?" You could not reply as Gavin clamped his hand over your mouth. This was a nightmare. You squeezed your eyes shut, wishing you could just disappear.

"That's too far," Blue-hair interupted, "We can't watch something like this..." Her voice seemed to choke back tears, as she looked at the other girl.

"You remember our deal, don't you Traci?" Gavin muttered, moving to clench his hand around your throat. "If you don't want this to be you, then keep your fucking mouth shut." Traci gulped, and the other girl wrapped her arm around her.

"Now... where were we?" Gavin turned back to you, giving you a leering smile. He leaned closer, and you forced your head away. You tried to kick and force him off you, but he was too strong. He got closer and closer, until his lips were a breath away.

"Hey!" A male voice suddenly shouted in the darkness, and Gavin's head snapped up.

"Oh shit!" Leo swore, and the two girls took off into the darkness. With Gavin no longer trapping you, you forced your head up, wincing in pain. In the dim light, and with your head pounding, you could not make out your savior.

The man grabbed Gavin by his collar and slammed him against the wall ruthlessly. Gavin made a groaning sound, before he was slammed a second time.

"What do you think you're doing?" The man sounded calm, but you could sense the rage underneath his tone.

"I-I, you..." Gavin spluttered, "What are you--" The man threw him to the side, kicking him into Leo. His moves were so precise and calculated, it was clear that he had been in a physical fight before. While Gavin was down, Leo tried to scramble to his feet. The strange man clamped his hand around his throat and lifted him clean off the ground.

"Don't cause trouble... unless you want to deal with me personally..."

Leo gurgled, and the man seemed to sigh in annoyance, dropping him in a heap on the ground.

"I know exactly who you both are," The man said in his strangely calm voice. "I will personally make sure that you both get the punishment you deserve."

To your surprise, the man then began to pace towards you, before grabbing your arm and hoisting you to your feet.

"Come on, we need to get you out of here!"

He tried dragging you along, but your leg hurt too much, and he ended up carrying you. In your dazed state, you still could not tell who he was. But he had saved you... and that thought warmed your heart.

The man carried you to the car park, and gently set you down, only to unlock a car door and cautiously move you towards it.

"Get inside..." He murmured.

"I--" You started.

"Hurry!!" He prompted, glancing behind himself. "I didn't incapacitate them. They could be following us." Unsure of what else to do, and still feeling lightheaded, you got in the car. The man closed your door, and rushed to the driver seat, getting in and started the ignition. As the car pulled out of the car park, you glanced through the back window, relieved to see no sign of Leo, Gavin, or the two girls.

The car sped a little too fast for your liking up the road. As your eyes adjusted to the darker interior, you realised how fancy the car was. It was the most expensive car you had ever seen. You felt poor just by sitting on the plush white seats.

"Are you okay?" The man asked, and your eyes trailed to him. Your lips fell open in a gasp when you realised who it was.

"Cain?!" You squeaked, your eyes trailing over his face so alike to Connor's. His steel eyes turned to you, and the side of his lip raised in a grin.

"[F/N]..." He replied, returning his eyes to the road. "I'm sorry if I startled you. You startled me more, when I realised you were in trouble."

"H-How did you find me?"

"I was walking past, and I heard voices," He said quickly. "I didn't realise it was you, until I saw your face." He turned slightly, giving you a worried look. "How did you get into a situation like that?"

"I-I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time I suppose..." You muttered, suddenly feeling uncomfortable. Connor had warned you not to be alone with Cain, and yet here you were! Sitting next to him in his car...

"You should be more careful," Cain mused, "It gets dangerous at this time of night. Didn't Connor tell you?"

Connor had told you. And that wasn't the only thing he had warned you of...

You stared at Cain, trying to read his face. At this moment, he seemed calm and collected. He seemed to genuinely care for your safety. Had Connor been wrong?

Or had you gotten out of a bad situation, only to find yourself in an even worse one?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.7K 1.4K 20
[Completed] You're Y/N L/N, a great student with average grades at DUAT College. Four years ago? A police officer. But your insecurities got you kic...
1.7K 19 10
You're a party girl. Plain and simple. Your life is pretty good to you. You go out almost every night that you're available and when you don't you st...
246K 8.3K 39
"You really are more than a machine." "And I have you to thank for it." Her, a human, full of emotion. Him, a machine, designed to accomplish a task...
151K 9.7K 37
❝Who even needs to rule the world when you can just learn to deceive it?❞ [Cyberpunk AU] In which Connor kills himself to prevent Amanda from stoppin...