Silver Princess

By ArcaneFury

As a girl who spent most of her past life in a hospital bed, I never thought I would get reincarnated into ro... More

1. Life After Death
2. The Things We Do
3. Trial and Error
4. Trouble at Laxdo
5. Return of the First Prince
6. Protecting the Red-Haired Princess
8. Doing All We Can

7. When They Met

495 25 3
By ArcaneFury

When the princess was ten, she asked her oldest brother if she could learn how to use the sword. Zen had his close aides teach her a little but she still needed confirmation from her oldest sibling. He was a little hesitant at first but gave in to the determination lit up in her eyes. Her thirst for knowledge was immense; she wasn't satisfied with just learning the art of medicine, she wanted more.

Her nose was always buried in a textbook while she sat at the side of the practice room when her brothers and their aides were sparring. She started to feel left out and her curiosity for the sword grew.

"I'm okay with it." Fifteen-year-old Zen grinned from the side. "I think Kiki will appreciate it, too."

Izana sighed, thinking about it for a few more seconds before nodding. "Okay, as long as you focus on your studies."

"Okay!" Aki cheered, running to her brother and hugging him. "Thank you, Izana-niisama!"

A few months later, Aki was headed to Tanbarun on a learning trip. One of the castle scholars joined, along with a guard. Aki didn't mind until they got into town. A small festival was going on and Aki wanted to explore but the guard was strict and forbade her to leave his side. The disinterest the scholar showed and the attitude of the guard made Aki feel suffocated.

They were pushing through the crowd to the city library and Aki took advantage of the pushing and bodies of people slip past the guard's view, sneaking into the nearby alley.

Aki grinned. Mission successful. She was glad she decided to wear her casual clothes; it made everything easier. She gripped her new sword and ran down the alley to the other side. The alley was wide with wooden boxes strewn about. A groan was heard behind a few of those boxes and she stopped, slowly turning to the sound. Aki held her breath in, softly stepping forward to the crates.

She heard heavy breathing followed by a few more grunts and concluded that it was a young man. Her left hand was resting on the hilt of her sword, ready to pull it out if necessary. She peered around the wooden boxes and gasped when she saw a young man laying on the ground, bleeding out from a large gash on his side. She reached into her satchel that was hanging on her waist, pulling out some medicine and gauze, and immediately kneeled to help him.

"Don't touch me," growled the young man, glaring at her.

Aki blinked. "I'm trying to help you."

"Don't need it. Go away."

"But you're going to die!"

"What if I want to?"

Aki froze for a few seconds. The man smirked as he had won but it was wiped off his face when she recovered and flared back at him, smacking his hands away from his wound and pouring the alcohol on it. He cried out, hitting the ground with his fist.

"You type of people annoy me; there is always something to live for, you shouldn't give up just because your life isn't as grand as you were hoping it would be."

"What would you know?" He gasped, eyes squeezed shut from the sting. "You're just a little girl."

"I know how it feels to run away and how one would feel helpless at their situation when it doesn't go the way you wanted it to." She shot back. "Age doesn't define what you experience in life."

"Haha... I guess... you're... right..." he panted, eyes slowly closing from exhaustion.

Aki sighed, continuing to patch up the unconscious man.

-

The teen woke up, seeing an unfamiliar ceiling. He quickly sat up and instantly regretted it, clutching his side in pain. Through gritted teeth, he looked at his surroundings; the room looked expensive and large. Looking out the window, he recognized it as one of the more expensive inns in the city. The water was running in the bathroom and he heard it shut off, the door opening.

Aki looked up and saw that he was awake. "Oh, good. I thought you wouldn't wake up. How are you feeling?"

He was wary, not happy with this situation. This was a little girl, who knows how she got him here and in an expensive-looking room. She noticed his cautiousness and smiled, walking up to him.

"I should probably introduce myself first; I'm Aki." She stuck her hand out to him.

He stared at it for a few seconds before reaching out to return the shake. Her smile grew and she pulled back, gesturing to his torso.

"I did as best as I could with your wound with my limited knowledge and what I had with me at the time. If I get you to a pharmacist I know, she should be able to fix what I couldn't."

"Thanks... I guess."

She smiled again and went to the room door, opening it. She stuck her head out and mumbled something to someone waiting outside. He heard a sigh from a man and a few displeased grumbles.

"Tell nii-sama to reschedule it then," he heard her snap, "that kind of thing was never a priority - this is."

There were a few seconds of silence, then another sigh and a mumble.

"Thank you; knock on the door when the food is here."

She closed the door with a sigh.

"What that your relative so something?"

She turned to him and smile. "Can you lift up your shirt so I can check your injury?"

Aki had dodged the question. Even if she seemed like a nice girl, she was too smart and cautious for her age. He complied, lifting the corner of his shirt up for her. She peered at it and reached out, pressing lightly. He hissed in pain, glaring at her.

"I never asked you for your name," Aki commented, standing back up. "I'm sorry, that must've been rude of me."

"It's fine... It's... Kuro..."

"Kuro, then," she nodded, ignoring the slight glare from him for the informality. "I like it, it fits you."

A knock sounded on the door and Aki opened it, muttering a 'thank you' as she took the tray of food. She turned to Kuro and set it on the bed next to him. His mouth watered as he saw the steaming meat in front of him.

"You look like you haven't eaten in days," she gestured to the tray, "go ahead and dig in."

He looked at her, wondering how someone so young can act so mature and know the basics of first aid. He silently thanked her and reached for the utensils, cutting the steak and putting it in his mouth. Aki saw his eyes widen slightly and he immediately cut another piece, shoving it in his mouth. She smiled and walked to the other side of the room, giving him space. He seemed like a wounded puppy; ready to bite if anything went wrong but at the same time, hesitant to trust someone.

Deep down, she knew he was lying about his name. She didn't know how she knew, but she could feel it. Aki didn't know what she wanted to do with him yet, but she at least wanted to take him back to the castle to let Garack tend to him. She wondered if he would be okay with going to another country for it though.

Kuro set his utensils down, his plate clean. "Hey... I'm done."

She turned to him and smiled. "You sure had an appetite. I'm glad."

She took the tray from the bed and set it on the side table. He watched as she organized the tray for easy cleanup. He studied her, seeing her gestures, her posture, her aura...

"Are you of nobility?" He asked.

He saw how she froze for a second before quickly recovering and continuing her task.

"What makes you think that?"

A smirk grew on his face. Perfect. He had avoided his usual group because a rift grew between them and he hasn't been getting any money these past few weeks because of it. If he got close to this girl and gained her trust, he could possibly run with millions in his hands. He coughed, wiping the smirk off his face.

"The way you carry yourself seems very... noble."

"Thanks, I guess," she shrugged, a small smile growing on her face. "Do you... hate nobles?"

Yes.

"No... Well, in my line of work, I see a lot of nobles who don't care about us commoners - but you... You must not have a high enough standing to see us like that."

"Now I don't know if I should take that as a compliment," she grinned. "That makes things easier, at least. I didn't know how to bring this up without telling you that I was a noble... I just wanted to bring you back to my place to have an acquaintance look at your wound."

"The pharmacist you were talking about?"

She nodded. "But I don't think you would like crossing the border to Clarines, would you?"

"Clarines? You came from there?"

"I had some things to do here in Tanbarun but they weren't important," she shrugged, "I wanted to enjoy the festival before doing them but then I found you."

"Thank you for that... I guess."

"Are you glad I saved you?"

"Huh?" He snapped his head at her, surprised at the sudden change of conversation.

"You told me that you wanted to die."

His lips stretched into a wry smile. "When you're bleeding out, you kind of want all the pain to just stop, permanently."

She smiled again but this time it was a conflicted and painful smile; as if she knew exactly what he was talking about. Seeing it made Kuro stop and stare. It was almost as if her expression aged her by ten years and he was seeing another person. He blinked and her expression went back to normal.

"You... you really don't act your age, do you..."

"Get some rest, we'll have to get up early to head back to Clarines. We may be close to the border but it'll still take at least another day. I want an early start."

-

Kuro winced as the carriage went over a hole. Aki sent him a wry smile but Kuro waved a hand, putting a hand over his wound in an attempt to soothe the throbbing.

"We're almost out of the forest, it shouldn't take too long to get to my place after that," she reassured.

"I noticed this earlier but... this is a really fancy carriage," he muttered, "I thought you weren't that high-ranking of a noble."

She smiled. "I never said I wasn't, did I?"

They cleared the forest and Kuro's breath was taken away as the castle came into view. It was grand, standing tall and beautiful. It was a new sight compared to the castle in Tanbarun and one view Kuro didn't think he would get tired of any time soon.

He thought they were going to stop at one of the mansions outside the castle but he was surprised again when they went up to the castle gates. His gaze went to Aki and he blinked, seeing her expression change once again. The slight change in posture, facial features, and even her presence changed.

They passed through the gates and went up to the castle through a long, straight road.

Aki turned to him and gave him another small smile, clipping her white cloak over her shoulders before opening the carriage doors.

"Welcome back, Princess Aki."

Kuro's eyes widened as he watched Aki get off the carriage and nod to the guard that bowed to her. She turned to him.

"Come on," she nodded her head towards the castle, "I want to get you to Garack-dono before I report to Izana-niisama."

Kuro followed her, gaping at his surroundings. He quickly constructed a mental map of the interior and noted a couple of things he could swipe and sell for a high price. They stopped at a separate building and went in, knocking on one of the doors inside.

"Come in," a feminine voice responded.

Aki opened the door with a bright smile that Kuro hadn't seen yet.

"Garack-dono, I'm back!"

A woman with blond, medium-length hair looked up from her desk and smiled. A man standing at a bookshelf turned and nodded at the princess. "Welcome back, Aki-sama."

Kuro was hiding behind the door and Aki waved him over like an owner coaxing their scared pet.

"Come here." Kuro came closer and slightly bowed to the two people. "Garack-dono, if you don't mind, could you check an injury on the right side of his torso? I tried what I could with my limited resources but I'm sure you could patch him up enough for his healing to accelerate."

"Well, I'm honored," Garack replied, standing up. "It's not infected or anything?"

Aki shook her head. "I was able to slow the bleeding and the inflammation but I might've missed something. It's a deep cut as well so he might need stitches."

"Alright, we'll keep an eye on him here."

Aki turned back to Kuro. "Stay here for now, please. I have to talk to my brother."

"Okay..." He watched as she left the building and turned to the stranger staring at him. "I'll be in your care."

-

"Izana-niisama, it's Aki," she announced knocking on his office door, "I'm back."

"Come in."

She opened the door and her smile grew. "Zen-niisama!"

Zen turned in his chair and both brothers smiled at the appearance of their youngest sibling. She rushed to Izana and threw her arms around his waist. They hugged for a few seconds before she turned and hugged Zen.

"How was your trip?" Izana asked after they all took a seat.

"About that..." She explained to them what happened and about Kuro. "He's at the pharmacy right now being treated by Garack-dono."

Izana hummed, thrumming his fingers on his desk.

"Guessing by the scars on his body and cautiousness and hostility in the beginning, I'd say he was a mercenary or an assassin," Aki concluded, picking at the edge of her shirt. "He looks like he's planning something; I was thinking that he would reject my request to come here and leave Tanbarun but his attitude changed after he found out I'm a noble. Even more so now that he knows I'm the princess."

"Why don't we keep this 'Kuro' in the castle for a while and see what he does," Izana said, smiling coyly. "There's nothing wrong with keeping a stray dog with us for a few days."

-

"All done!" Garack grinned, patting Kuro's side. He hissed in pain and sent a glare at her. "Hey, no glaring, you should be grateful. To Princess Aki, at least."

Kuro looked at the ground, silent. He could feel his side throbbing but ignored it. This woman did a good job at stitching him up.

"Um..." Garack looked at him. "How can she be so mature for someone her age? And she's so... intelligent. She was able to patch my injury and do the necessary after-care. She doesn't act her age..."

"You're right, she really doesn't act her age," Garack nodded, "but it's only because of her position."

"As the princess? I know of a few royals as young as her be selfish and uneducated."

"You also forget that just like everyone else, being a noble or royal doesn't always mean you walk a golden path. I have no right telling you what to think about her... but you should know that age doesn't define what you experience in life."

He looked at her. "Princess Aki said the same thing to me."

"Because it's true."

The door to the pharmacy opened and a messenger appeared.

"Prince Izana is requesting Kuro-dono's presence."

"Prince Izana?" Kuro questioned.

"Yes, the first prince, as well as Aki-sama's oldest brother," Garack explained, "I'm sure Aki-sama will be there as well, if not with Prince Zen, the second prince."

Kuro nodded, getting up and following the messenger through the halls. He continued his mental map when he realized that they were heading deeper into the castle. The messenger stopped at double doors and knocked.

"Come in."

Kuro tensed at the tone Prince Izana spoke with. It was full of authority and presence. The messenger opened the door and stepped through the side to let Kuro through. He entered the room and met Izana's eyes.

"Kuro-kun... is it?" Izana smiled. "Nice to meet you, I'm the first prince, Izana Wistaria."

"Yes, nice to meet you, Prince Izana," Kuro bowed, "I'm indebted to your younger sister, Princess Aki."

He looked back up and froze at Izana's piercing gaze.

"Are you now..."

-

Aki was breathing hard from physical exhaustion, her arms were throbbing and her legs felt like jelly. Zen was standing over her, grinning.

"My win," he smiled.

Aki whined, falling back on the floor. Kiki and Mitsuhide chuckled from the sides. The two siblings had just finished sparring and as Zen stated, he had won. Ever since Aki started learning swordsmanship, she hasn't won a fight against her brothers and Zen's aides. She was more than okay with it because she knew that it gave her room to improve.

She sat up, fire in her eyes. "Mitsuhide next!"

"Okay, okay."

Even though Aki's muscles were on fire, adrenaline was pumping through her veins, keeping her up.

"Begin!"

Even at Zen's call, Mitsuhide and Aki didn't move. Mitsuhide saw Aki's feet move and he followed the movement, angling his sword for a better strike. Aki grinned, dashing forward and swinging her wooden sword in a horizontal slash at his torso. Mitsuhide took a quick step back, dodging the swing.

A knock sounded on the door during the duel and a messenger appeared with Kuro behind.

"Zen-sama, I have brought Kuro-dono."

"Oh, so aniue has finished his conversation?"

Kuro bowed, clenching his jaw in dissatisfaction. "Yes, your highness. I'm Kuro, I'm indebted to your little sister, Princess Aki."

"Nice to meet you," Zen nodded back, "these are my aides, Kiki Seiran, and the one fighting Aki is Mitsuhide Rouen."

"Nice to meet you." Kiki greeted, quickly nodding her head.

Kuro looked at the two fighting, a little impressed.

"Mitsuhide!" Zen called out at the two. "The boy Aki was talking about is here!"

Mitsuhide's concentration was broken for a moment and Aki took that chance to attack, thrusting her sword forward and hitting Mitsuhide's chest. The attack connected and Mitsuhide stumbled, falling down. He looked at Aki with wide eyes.

Aki was breathing hard, tired; she dropped the wooden sword and fell to all fours, then onto her back.

"Good job, Aki!" Zen grinned, clapping.

"No," she stated, confusing everyone, "Mitsuhide got distracted; I just took advantage of that."

"Not one to be satisfied early, eh, Princess?" Kuro smirked, leaning on the railing. "I'm impressed at your sword skills, pretty good for a little girl."

"So is that your true personality?" Aki asked, getting back up. She had a smile on her face.

His face fell for a second, realizing. He ended up stuttering in retaliation, cursing himself. "I-I let my guard down a bit, sorry, Aki-sama."

"No," she pouted, pointing at him, "don't call me that."

"Huh?" He heard Zen and his aides chuckling. "Call you what?"

"Don't add '-sama' to my name," she ordered. "I don't like it when people I consider friends add that honorific; especially when we met as people, not as titles."

"Same here, Kuro," Zen nodded, "just call me Zen; Kiki and Mitsuhide do it."

"O-okay..."

Kuro spent the next few days at the castle. His facade slowly wore off during the week as he felt himself trusting Aki and Zen more. He hated it; he never trusted anyone after he was abandoned as a kid. He always had to fend for himself to survive and people were never worth trusting; they always wanted something, the selfish creatures. He always thought that nobles and royals were the same, but not these two.

At first, Kuro stayed because he was threatened by Izana. Or at least, he felt like he was being threatened by their short exchange.

"How long do you plan on staying?" Izana asked. "You're free to stay as long as you need, as long as you spend your time with either Aki or Zen or at least have one of our guards with you. I hope you understand that I do not want you wandering the castle alone at all costs."

"O-of course, your highness, I understand. I heal fast, so I'll be ready to leave in seven days."

"Good."

He had told Izana seven days, but he had healed enough by the fifth day. Kuro had most of the castle layout memorized and knew where the priceless items were. He felt some guilt deep inside his heart for leaving two genuine people that he actually became friends with, but Kuro was never the type of person to stay in one place.

As he gathered the few belongings he had, he thought back to his second day at the castle. He spent it with Aki, as it was still her day off. It was strange, everything she did was as a royal should do and be, but at the same time, it wasn't what Kuro was expecting. The way she wanted him to call her just Aki, the way she asked for things, rather than expecting that they should be ready by the time she orders it. Kuro grew to like her as a person and was drawn to her.

Zen was no exception. Kuro assumed it was because the two siblings were close in age than they were to Izana, and that they spent more time together, that they acted similarly to each other. Aki's gestures and attitude were like Zen's. He also noticed right away that they sometimes say things in unison. As if they have the same train of thought or she knows exactly what Zen will say and when.

On the night of his fifth day, Kuro took a pillowcase from the bed he was sleeping on. He waited until he knew that most of the castle staff were sleeping before walking out of his room. He also knew the guard's schedule and when and where each guard would be. As he snuck around, he was swiping the valuables and put them in the pillowcase.

Once the case was full enough, he made his way to the gate close to the forest connecting Tanbarun and Clarines.

"So, you're leaving?"

Kuro tensed up, spinning around to see Aki standing in the middle of the hall in her nightgown. His heart was beating so hard he could hear it, and wondered if she could too. He smirked, covering his guilt.

"Yeah, thought I'd grab some things while I'm at it, hope you don't mind."

"I actually do mind," she shrugged, "but if you need them to start anew, I can't stop you if you run."

He blinked, seeing the emotion in her eyes. She looked sad but...

"You expected this, didn't you?"

A small smile tugged at the corner of her mouth as she shrugged again.

"I've had a lot of people come and go in my life so far. I've had to say so many goodbyes to people that I'm used to it... I knew your stay wouldn't be that long; you're not the type to stay in one place, are you? As if you're searching for that one special place... or even a special person."

"Stop," he snapped, "stop... stop talking. You...how?"

Aki smiled wider at that. "Remember what I told you? Age-"

"Doesn't define what you experience in life... Yes, I remember. It's... a nice saying... You really embody that saying, you know that?"

"It's the reason I started saying it," she nodded, eyes flickering to the nearest hall. "You should go if you don't want to get caught."

"You... you're really just gonna let me go? Just like that?"

"Just like that."

Kuro suddenly felt very conflicted. Aki didn't look like she was lying and if she did try to stop him, he could easily escape. But... he also wanted to stay in the castle; not because his life would be easier and he wouldn't have to worry about keeping a roof over his head. No... his answer was much more complicated than that.

He just wanted to stay by this young girl's side and watch her grow. Once his mind was set, he couldn't help but smile, dropping his bag and walking up to Aki. She blinked, clearly confused.

"What are you doing?" She asked, panicking when he went down on one knee in front of her.

"Just shut up and let me do this," he sighed, bowing his head. "Princess Aki Wistaria-"

At the tone of his voice, Aki's aura changed; her posture straightened and her expression became serious. Kuro couldn't help but smile in awe at the presence she had at such a young age.

"I pledge to become your aide, vowing to stay by your side and becoming your support. During these last few days, I have learned how you are as a person and as a princess. Your presence enraptured me and pulled me in. You were right when you said that I was searching for that special place and person. That place is this castle and that person is you. And before you say anything, no this isn't a proposal and no, I am not in love with you."

Aki blinked, her aura as a princess fading. "You just admire me as a person."

"Yes. I understand if you don't want me as an aide and I apologize for suddenly asking."

"You're creeping me out with the polite talk," Aki frowned, waving a hand. "I told you in the beginning that you don't need to do that."

"I know."

Kuro kept his head down, ready for rejection. A hand fell on his shoulders and he opened his eyes, bringing his head up. Aki was smiling.

"What's your name?" She asked, surprising him. "Your real name."

"My name... is-"

-

"Masaru!"

Masaru jolted awake, almost falling off the ledge. He whipped his head around, seeing Aki squatting in front of him. He frowned, crossing his arms, and closing his eyes.

"What is it?" He mumbled. "I was having a nice dream."

Aki's eyebrows went up. "Of what?"

Masa smiled, cracking one eye open and looking at her. "Secret."

Aki frowned, sitting on the open ledge beside him. "Come on, I always tell you my dreams. Y'know, today, I actually dreamt of the first time we met. I think it's because today is the day you became my aide five years ago."

Masa's smile widened at that. "You don't say..."

"Tell me what you dreamt of now! I told you my dream."

"Still not telling~" he teased, laughing when Aki pouted.

He reached over and ruffled her hair, chuckling when she frowned but made no move to stop him.

"You've grown a lot since then," he nostalgically stated, "I'm feeling a little proud."

Aki grinned, looking at him. "You've grown a lot, too. I'm proud to call you my aide."

"Aki! Masaru!" Both of them looked down to see Shirayuki waving at them. "What's taking so long?"

"Sorry! I lost track of time!" Aki called back. "We'll be down in a second!"

The two of them stood on the ledge, then jumped to the nearest tree. Masaru descended first, Aki following. Shirayuki smiled at them when they approached.

"Let's go!"

Shirayuki led the way, Aki beside her. Masaru followed them from behind as they walked to the dining area. Shirayuki was excitedly talking to Aki about a new medical mixture they tested as they were walking.

They arrived at the doors, Shirayuki and Aki's smiles grew as they grasped the knobs of the double doors, turning to Masaru before turning their wrists and pushing the door open.

"Happy birthday, Masaru!"

----

Thank you everyone for reading!!

This story was in my drafts for forever and I was eagerly waiting for the opportunity to publish it. I'm so happy it's finally out (TvT) I didn't want it to be too soon after publishing the last chapter, but I think I ended up publishing it a little too late haha...

This chapter follows the flow of the manga, but you can treat it as a side chapter if you want (っ^▿^)

The next chapter will be up when I find the time, but I will work on it as best as I can ᕙ('▿')ᕗ
The same goes with From Another World!

Thank you all for your patience, and see you next time!

Hope you enjoyed!
   -arcane.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

111K 3.3K 41
"I'm different from any other princesses. I'm different from any other people. Am I even a human?" People have their own reason to live. What if a p...
237K 5.9K 38
I'm Mirayuki, you may already know Shirayuki whose my younger sister. I've come back after so long just to find out she ran away with a Prince. So wh...
28.8K 933 18
Shirayuki was never intrigued in the affairs of the people around her nor in their relations. Her job was to treat people and to provide them treatme...
555K 16K 31
You're Shiryuki's friend, a blacksmith who worked at Tanburn. When Shiryuki goes missing you test your loyalty and go after her... while getting in t...