Knight Wolf and Little Robin...

By grimreaperbarbie

Batman, Robin, and Knight Wolf... it had been that way for years. That is until Dick Grayson left in the nigh... More

Part One: The Rise
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE, DO NOT SKIP
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Author's Note (Don't Skip)
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Part 2: The Fall
Prologue (5 years ago)
Chapter 1.2
Chapter 2.2

Chapter 16

11.2K 376 172
By grimreaperbarbie

It had been three days since the riot at Arkham, three days since Blair had talked to anyone she lived with. It was starting to be a common occurrence; her and Jason would get into a fight, Bruce would swoop in and remind Blair of what she was missing, and she was left to figure out how to put her broken pieces back together, completely alone.

"There are protocols we have to follow, Miss Wilde." The receptionist repeated for the third time that morning.

Blair rolled her eyes, "Listen, I know there are protocols, but last I checked, there are no rules against sending flowers to a patient in this institution."

"You're asking to fill the room with daisies." The receptionist, Melissa according to her name tag, pointed out.

"Yes I am." Blair shrugged, nonchalantly.

"Why?"

Why? Because Blair had seen the sadness in a man's eyes, a man that wasn't an immediate danger unless there was technology at his disposal. Because the flowers were to him what the stars were to her, a sign of hope and a comforting force.

Instead of voicing this aloud, Blair cocked her head to the side, giving Melissa an innocent but knowing smile, "Because this place is literally a waiting room for death, the least I can do is make it more bearable for the people waiting. Maybe, just maybe, if you people learned to do the same, you wouldn't have so many patient riots and breakouts."

Melissa looked at Blair in silent shock, making her feel somewhat satisfied with herself as she continued to speak, "Now, either do what I asked, which isn't breaking any laws or protocols, or I can call my godfather who owns this institution and see what he thinks about it."

"Your godfather owns this place?" A familiar voice came from behind her. "I take it he wasn't too happy when he found out about the breakout."

Blair turned around slowly, coming face-to-face with River Tyler holding a bag of food from the same burger joint that her and her uncle always ate at. She studied him quickly, noting the bruise fading on the side of his eye where the Joker had forced the pistol to his head. Other than that and the haunted look in his eyes, you would never be able to tell he was stuck in the asylum a few nights before.

"Oh, no. He wasn't." She replied to his earlier statement. She looked at him again, putting on her best thoughtful face before saying, "You know, you kind of look like my guard here."

"Your guard?" River raised an eyebrow. "You have your own guard?"

"Yes, she does." Johnny's familiar voice joined the two, a stern look on his face. "What are you doing here River? After the breakout a few days ago, you shouldn't be anywhere near here."

"You were here?" Blair pretended to be shocked.

River looked down at his feet, nodding, "Not exactly a great memory, but yeah. Got to meet Gotham's finest."

"That's the nicest thing the police have been called."

"Oh, I meant the other ones. My brother over there calls them the Gotham Knights." River corrected, causing Blair to look over at Johnny with a small smile. He wasn't the only one that called her team that, in fact, it was practically their WiFi password at home.

"So you met Batman and Robin—"

"And Knight Wolf." River finished for her. "Pretty badass honestly, even though it was a bad situation I was in."

As much as she wanted to ask him if he was okay after that night, something in his face stopped her. She snuck a quick look at Johnny, seeing his pained face before speaking again, "What was she like? Knight Wolf, I mean?"

River opened his mouth to respond when Melissa cleared her throat behind Blair, "Miss Wilde, your request for Jervis Tetch to receive flowers daily has been approved."

Blair turned back around to face the brothers, giving them an innocent smile. She had promised Jervis Tetch flowers when she had returned him to his cell as Knight Wolf, but she didn't think anyone had heard her promise. Judging by the look on Johnny's face, he was confused but not at all surprised as this is what she did for most of the patients to begin with.

River however, wore a small thoughtful smile. "I think the two of you would get along just fine." He said, answering her previous question.

Blair let out a small laugh, playing with the strings of her hoodie. The way he was looking at her was like he was studying what she would look like with a mask and faux fur cloak draped over her shoulders.

Johnny cleared his throat, breaking River's concentration on her, something she was grateful for, "Blair, I take it you're here to check on your special patient."

"What?" She furrowed her brows in confusion. Johnny had never referred to any of the patients as hers before, so the term threw her off balance. "Oh yeah, yeah. Make sure she's okay."

River nodded, stepping back as his brother moved to stand next to her, "Alright, well I should get going before Johnny tries to have me thrown out of here."

"It was nice to meet you, River." Blair smiled, turning to walk down the long hallways to Harley's room.

"It was a lot nicer for me to meet you, trust me." He winked, walking out the door.

********

The walk to Harley's room was a lot quieter than usual, like Johnny was more in his head than he was next to her. Swallowing hard, Blair finally started the conversation she needed to have, "I take it since River was here that night, you were too."

"Yeah, and you're not going to believe this, but Harley tried to keep us out of all the chaos." He admitted, his face getting darker. "Until she kidnapped River from right under our noses."

Blair stayed silent, pulling on the strings of her hoodie again. What could she say? Blair Wilde wasn't there, Knight Wolf was. Anything she said from that night would give her away, but she didn't like the way Johnny's face looked with all of that hate and anger. It was like his faith in humanity had been zapped out of him, "So I take it you hate her now, am I right?"

Johnny stopped walking, turning to face her, "She kidnapped my brother and took him to The Joker. The Clown Prince of Gotham."

"Right, I heard that part. What I haven't heard is your feelings about it. You're angry, that I get, but you've never said anything else." Blair crossed her arms across her chest, staring him in the eye.

"River said she promised that he wouldn't get hurt badly." Johnny sighed. "He said that she made a promise to a friend that visits her to leave her friends alone. She didn't want to take him, but Joker wasn't taking no for an answer."

When Blair stayed silent, Johnny continued to talk, "So, Harley seems to care about you enough to promise that she'll never hurt your friends, why can't you get her to stop causing so much chaos in general?"

"Is that a real question or are you just being a dick to me?" Blair raised an eyebrow, not sure what he wanted her to say.

Johnny looked surprised by her question, all the anger on his face disappearing, "It was a real question. I wouldn't- I mean, we're friends, I wouldn't ask that just to be a dick."

"Oh, um, wow, okay." Now it was Blair's turn to be surprised. "Well, as much as I would like to get her to stop it all, I can't. It would be like asking a sunflower to stop following the sun. I can't change the course of nature, but I can take the necessary precautions to protect my friends and family. Which is why you're still here isn't it?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, most guards like you quit after their first riot. Too much trauma, too much insanity. But you're still here, even after your own brother was kidnapped, why is that?"

"Someone has to pay the bills and take care of these guys. They aren't all horrible monsters and they are just sick." Johnny admitted, returning back to his old, caring self. "Plus, they gave me a huge raise."

That had been Blair's doing. The day after Bruce had kicked her off of patrol, she had tried to negotiate a way back on with no luck. Then she decided to argue another case. She demanded that Johnny be paid more for his work, especially as he had tried to stay with her and Jason the entire way through the riots. Looking at him now, she was glad she had fought for him.

"Why didn't you tell me you had a brother?" Blair changed the subject. She was actually genuinely curious as to why River had been a secret. "I mean, is he the black sheep of the family or something?"

"River? God, no!" Johnny let out his first laugh of the day, something Blair was glad to hear. He still had the ability to laugh. "I would've told you eventually, but that's not something I wanted to advertise around here. No one does. I mean, with what happened a few days ago, River still has nightmares. I have to put him in therapy soon."

"I get it. You didn't want to take any chances."

"Exactly, especially when he's the only family I have." Blair looked up at him, not so much with sympathy, but with empathy. She knew what that was like. Seeing her face, Johnny explained a little better, "Mom bailed when we were young and dad fell in with the wrong people."

"That's horrible, I'm surprised you still have faith in humanity after that." She said.

"Well, we got taken in by our grandparents. Great people, had a farm that we worked on. They died three years ago. I've been taking care of River ever since." Johnny shrugged.

"River's lucky to have you."

Johnny nodded before his mouth turned up in a grin, "You thought he was cute, didn't you?"

"Johnny! We just had a serious conversation and that's what you say afterwards? Who taught you how to socialize?" Blair laughed, brushing the comment aside. Even if she did think River was cute, nothing could happen with them.

"You did, most girls do. But most girls don't usually catch his attention like you just did." He continued, ignoring Blair's not-so-subtle deflect from the question.

"Oh yes, I'm so sure of that." She rolled her eyes. That's what they always say.

"I'm serious, he doesn't ever really pay attention." Johnny insisted, stopping at Harley's door.

Blair studied his face, surprised to see that he was telling the truth. It didn't matter either way, she didn't date. It was a hazard with her nighttime activities. She'd seen Kate try to date after becoming Batwoman and it was nearly impossible. And it wasn't any better to date a fellow vigilante/hero. She learned from Donna and Garth. There's too much risk involved, it's too dangerous.

"Right, well, can you open the door?" She smiled sweetly.

"Sure thing, but you aren't getting out of this conversation, Wilde. I'll tease you about it for the rest of your life." He joked.

Blair rolled her eyes, but inside she was smiling. For the rest of her life? She hoped Johnny was in it for that long. She liked having him around, it was a nice change of pace. She liked having a friend, "I'll hold you to it."

********

"How are you doing? I heard there was a breakout and you went head to head with the Gotham Knights." Blair sat in a chair across the room from Harley. There was a bruise across her cheek that wasn't there when Blair had seen her last. It wasn't there by her hands.

"That's what your guard calls them, but yes. I kept my promise to you, I didn't hurt him or his brother, but you already knew that didn't ya?" Harley answered, throwing her white blonde hair over her shoulder, fixing Blair with a knowing gaze.

Blair's heart roared in her ears, but she kept her face neutral as she spoke, "What do you mean I already knew?"

"I mean, he told you that, didn't he?"

"Yeah, yeah, he did. He also said you kidnapped his brother, though."

"It was either I kidnap him or Mr. J killed him. The best way to keep my promise was to kidnap him. I didn't hurt him though. I promised I wouldn't." Harley swore, turning to look out the small window.

Blair took a small breath, eyes landing on the bruise by Harley's eye again. There were bruises on her wrists that she had seen when they had gone head-to-head the other day, but they were fading. Something told her that the guards had nothing to do with the injuries she received, "Harley, did he hurt you?"

"He was mad at me for allowing your friends to get away. He said it was my fault we were stuck here." Harley shrugged, not looking away from the window.

Blair moved to sit on the bed next to her, "Harls, you deserve better than that. It's not your fault he's still here, it's his."

Harley stayed quiet, but looked back at Blair with a small smile. Blair took Harley's hands in hers, "Are you okay? Really?"

"Are you?"

The question shocked Blair. After all, she wasn't the one covered in bruises from a man that claimed to love her. "What?"

"I know what it looks like when someone is dancing on the edge. I did it for years."

"I'm fine, Harley." She insisted, swallowing hard.

"No you're not. Not since your brother left."

"He wasn't my brother."

"Yes he was." Harley argued, a moment of thoughtful sincerity that only Blair ever saw. "Family isn't just who you were born to. Family is the ones that take care of you, which in a way, makes you my family."

Blair's eyes sting with tears at that, surprised that Harley cared enough about her to call her family. The blonde smiled softly, continuing to speak, "I may be crazy, I may be a monster, but you still check up on me and make sure I'm okay. That's what family is and that's how I know that yours is broken."

Harley wiped a stray tear off of Blair's cheek. This was the Harley that only she saw. Only Blair could turn the craziest of people into family. "You're the patient here, Harls. Not me."

"Am I? Or am I just the product of this disaster of a city?" She winked.

"Harley—"

"I know, but I like hearing about your life even if you hate it."

Blair shifted uncomfortably, "I never said I hated my life."

"You didn't have to. I just know."

Johnny knocked on the other side of the door, signaling Blair's time being up. She stood up, wiping her eyes, "Do I look like I've been crying?"

"Nope, you look as pretty as usual." Harley said. Blair turned to walk to the door when Harley grabbed her hand. "Hey BW, I know I'm the last person you should listen to or take seriously, but you'll figure all this out. It won't be this way forever."

"I know. Take care of yourself until I come back." Blair squeezed her hand.

"I promise."

********

Johnny and Blair turn the corner after leaving Harley's room, running straight into Jim Gordon and Harvey Bullock. Blair silently cursed in her head, she should've known that they'd be here, still gathering evidence.

"Blair?" Harvey's jaw dropped.

"What are you doing here?" Jim asked in shock, looking between her and Johnny.

"Oh, hi Uncle Jim. I'm doing research for school." She lied, smiling innocently. Johnny looked at her confusion, but kept quiet.

"Now? After the riots three days ago?" Jim narrowed his eyes, his tone skeptical.

"You know me, always the dedicated student. Online courses or not." She said coolly, looking between him and Harvey.

"Okay, well, you should probably get home." He nodded, declaring the issue closed.

Blair felt the familiar twinge of guilt for lying to him, but she rolled her shoulders back, looking up at him with a small smile, "Yeah, yeah, I know. Away from all the chaos."

She started to walk down the hallway, dragging Johnny with her when Jim called after her, "Hey, tell Bruce and Alfred that I'll be there Friday for dinner."

"Wait, really?" She turned around, the smile on her face genuine. "You finally have time to make it to dinner with all of us?"

"I made time, yes. I've actually wanted to meet this Jason guy Wayne took in for the past two months." He grinned, Harvey laughing behind him.

"Jason. Right." Blair scrunched her nose up in stress. Now she had to talk to Jason. He had some opposing views on police officers that could ruin dinner.

"Bye, Blair. I'll see you Friday." He waved.

"Bye, Spunky." Harvey called over his shoulder. They walked away, turning down the hallway Johnny and Blair had just left, disappearing from view.

"So your uncle is the commissioner and he doesn't know that you come here once a week just to check on patients, especially Harley." Johnny observed as they start walking again. "And you live with the billionaire Bruce Wayne, the owner of this fine institution."

"Remember when you said that there are certain things you don't want advertised around here? My living situation is one of them along with my family." Blair shrugged. "If Uncle Jim knew I came here, he wouldn't understand. He'd try to stop me. It's better that he doesn't know."

"You don't think he'd be proud that you're helping out and giving these people care and trying to understand them?"

"That's not why I do it."

********

Blair stepped outside with Johnny, her eyes landing on River leaning against a wall. She turned to tell Johnny, seeing him roll his eyes as he saw him, "What the hell are you still doing here moron?"

"Relax, Commissioner Gordon was talking to me about the other day." River threw his hands up in defense.

Blair crossed her arms, smirking in spite of herself, "I bet Uncle Jim was probably confused as to why you're actually back at the place you were attacked at."

River's jaw dropped as he looked at her, like he was seeing her in a new light, "Holy shit. You're that Blair Wilde. The commissioner's niece, the Blair Wilde that's always in the papers for charity."

"Oh yeah, that, and apparently she lives with Bruce Wayne." Johnny added.

"You what?!?" River exclaimed, his eyes getting bigger, if that was possible.

Blair winced, feeling herself being guided into a conversation she hated having. That was the one good thing about Jason, he didn't care who she was or who she was related to. He hated her all the same, "I moved out of my uncle's a few months ago and into my godfather's since my older brother moved out."

"Older brother? I thought you were an only child?" Johnny reminded her.

"Ish. He's this guy that I grew up with and he's basically like my surrogate big brother. It's just easier to say that instead of my best friend Dick left." Blair admitted, playing with her hoodie strings again, trying to ignore the all too familiar feeling of pain and anxiety creeping up on her again.

"Who are you?!?" River exclaimed next to her.

"What? Who did you expect was my godfather? I said he owned Arkham." She retorted, hugging her arms to herself. Was it colder outside?

"River, did you not know that Bruce Wayne owned Arkham?" Johnny held back a laugh as he looked at the dumbfounded face of his little brother.

"Okay, well, I'm going to go to my car now, let you guys figure this out." She snapped, walking away, mentally kicking herself for even opening her mouth. This is why she didn't have many friends. She wasn't about to play the rich girl.

She heard footsteps behind her when she reached her car, turning to see River coming to a halt in front of her, "Hey, hey, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to freak out, it's just Commissioner Gordon is one thing but Bruce Wayne owns half of Gotham. That was just shocking."

"I get it. Trust me I get it all the time." Blair muttered bitterly.

"Blair, I was flirting with you before I knew who you were back there so that means something, to me anyway." River admitted, giving her a lopsided smile.

"You were flirting with me?"

"What? Was the wink not enough?" River joked, making Blair smile. "Plus, I waited for you to come back out after your uncle questioned me. Don't tell Johnny though, he'd put me on lockdown."

"You're cute, I'll give you that, and you know how to dig yourself out of a hole, but I really can't get myself into anything right now." Blair said, supplying the standard excuse to avoid a relationship. No promises, no hope. It didn't matter how cute River was, she couldn't do that to him.

He was surprisingly understanding, the smile never leaving his face, "That's totally fine. It doesn't mean I won't stop flirting with you though. Unless you want me to..." Blair laughed, shaking her head. "You know what? Give me your phone. Even if you can't get into anything right now, you can still have my number, for friends."

"Friends I can do. Just friends, River Tyler." Blair warned.

River flashed her another dazzling smile, "Absolutely, gorgeous. Looking forward to your text."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21K 680 46
Completed Cora has had a terrible life. She was experimented on by a lab. Once she escaped she was put into foster care. She had two foster parents...
5.6K 186 70
- peace in havok - Power and anger have gone hand in hand for Hazel her entire life, as has trust and heart. Hazel is bright as the s...
2.7K 64 20
⚠︎ Trigger Warning ⚠︎ Book contains mentions of abuse and suicide. • • • "You know I love you, right?" "Then show me." •-✽-✽-✽-• Paige Montgomery, th...
5.6K 265 73
REVIVAL: This story follows the plot of Book 1 (EUPHORIA). MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU HAVEN'T READ EUPHORIA. Ellie is gone from Gotham, lost in a c...