Brother.

By ellarose12

In the small country town of Flame Tree Bay, everyone knows Sarah Attwell. The older folk remember her when s... More

Black Sheep.
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV

Chapter XVI

9.2K 537 82
By ellarose12

        Stopping out the front of Michael’s house, his Dad was sitting on the steps; almost as if he was waiting for us. The shed was lit up to the side and I barely gave Mr. Blake a hello before storming over there. I didn’t hear what Michael said to him, and I didn’t really care because as I got closer to where I knew the others were, I heard them instead.

“Shit! Sarah’s here!” Danny cursed.

“She wouldn’t be, why-” Someone snapped at him..

“What’s going on?” I interrupted, stopping in the doorway.

Joe dropped the dagger in his hand, the clang of it hitting the concrete making the others all jump. Then again, maybe that was just from my sudden appearance, and they all looked guilty now. Except for Jake. He barely managed to look up from where he was slumped over the lounge chair.

His skin was pale, and his body was covered in sweat. He looked like he’d just been running around by the way he was breathing so hard and unevenly. When his eyes did meet mine, they were glazed over and bloodshot. Just like that my anger turned to panic. What was wrong with him?

“Jake?” His name came out as barely a whisper, and I pushed past Justin who had been the first to move towards me. “Are you okay?”

It was a stupid question. In other circumstances, I’d think he and Danny had been idiotic enough to try something a bit harder than the pot they usually smoked, and getting to his side, I held his hand which was freezing in mine, yet heat was radiating from the rest of him.  All I got was a groan in response, and looking at Danny who stood over him, my brothers  face was nearly as pale as his friends.

“Sarah, I can explain.” There it was again; guilt.

“Please tell me, this isn’t, Danny, what have you done?” I tried not to yell and seeing a box tissues on the table, grabbed them.

Jake rolled onto his back, mumbling something I couldn’t understand while I wiped his face. It took me a second to realise what I thought was dirt on his cheek wasn’t. The tissues were soon pink and wet from the mixture of blood and sweat as I tried to clean him up a little.

“I didn’t do anything! I’ve been trying to talk him out of it!” Danny dropped to his knees beside me. “Last week, we were just hanging out here and he said he wanted it too. They-”

They.

Turning, Michael was with his brothers and while his face was expressionless, you’d have to be blind not to see what was going on inside. This was one of those times he looked intimidating, when you knew you there was something weird about him, about them. His arms were tightly folded across his chest, and twitched slightly from where his muscles flexed due to his hands being curled into fists.

The pair of them huddled together, not looking directly at their older sibling while their mouths moved with words spoken so softly I couldn’t hear anything other than a faint whisper. Michael could hear every word, and looking at Danny, so could he. No one needed to actually tell me what had been going on, it was too obvious unlike the reason why Jake would suddenly want to be one of them was beyond me. He still seemed scared and jumpy around this bunch, and even the other night he hadn’t looked impressed with the Blakes being at dinner.

“Sarah, you need to go.” Danny was suddenly behind me, and he tugged on my arm to pull me back behind him.”

“What about him? What if Jake doesn’t make it Danny and he dies?” I snapped back at him.

“He knows the risks. This, is only temporary. It’s just the second part of what has to happen before the full moon. Half hour, he’ll be back to normal.”

“No. He won’t.” I want to remind him about how nothing would be normal again for either of them, but mange to hold that back. “What was he thinking?”

“Doesn’t matter. Can you just do what I’m asking right now?” He begged.

“Danny, look at your best friend. What-” I didn’t get to finish as I was pushed down towards Jake, who had now passed out.

“Touch her, and it will be the last thing you do!” Danny promised behind me.

Looking up, Joe had the dagger in his hand again, and the look in his eyes was deadly. I instantly thought back to that morning with Peta on the horses and the reddish brown coloured wolf that had approached us in a less than friendly manner. There had been something different about that one, and even now in his human form, there was no denying he wasn’t full of the same harmful intentions.  

I didn’t move from beside the lounge, almost tempted to crawl underneath it. Justin was gone and looking towards the door, I could see a wolf laying out there, just outside the reach of the light from the shed. In those couple of minutes I’d been arguing with Danny, Michael was gone too. That scared me more than his brother currently did. What happened to trusting him, and believing that he was going to fix everything?

Then again maybe he was.

My stomach sunk as this could easily be seen as a trap. If I was going to be changed, why not do it at the same time as Jake. They got me out here, only Danny could help me and he was severely outnumbered.

“It has to be done, she’s already in the process of it anyway! Want her to die on the full moon Dan?” He taunted, stepping closer. “Stop going against your pack!”

I stood up, standing behind Danny like that alone could save me from whatever fate they had in mind tonight and tried to think of a way out of this. Instinctively I reached out and held the back of Danny’s shirt, tugging on it slightly so he knew I was there. He stepped back slightly so we were touching and his body vibrated from the primal growl that left him seconds later. I told Ben what to do, could I do it again to get out this?

“Let us go, I don’t want to have to hurt you.” Danny managed to get out; the threat obvious.

“You know I can’t do that. This has to happen now, before he comes back. Move.” Joe snapped back.

Everything happened quickly after that. Joe leapt forward and Danny moved to meet him, pushing me to the side and around the pair of them. He used himself like a shield, keeping Joe from being able to reach me as he lunged again. This time, Danny didn’t have to worry about stopping him as Michael was back, with his Dad and Joe was suddenly pinned against the shed wall. Michaels forearm was hard against his throat as the choking sound that followed told us just how hard he was pressing.

“What. Did. I Say!” Michael screamed at him.

We all stood there in shock; even Mr. Blake. Joe couldn’t answer even if wanted to and Danny moved to stand beside me, dropping his arm over my shoulders as he tried to guide me back and away from them.

“Michael.” Mr. Blake warned, walking towards the pair. “Let him go.”

He didn’t. Michael showed no sign of having heard him, and Joe was left clawing at his arm as his face started to turn red.

“Michael!” His Dad yelled this time, and just like when he had Jake and I sitting at the table with him, the air got heavy and no matter what he asked you to do, you knew you’d do it.

My knees felt weak, and I leaned against Danny, hoping he’d take it as a sign and we’d get out of here. He didn’t and his fingers dug into my arm as he held me close. Tension only grew on all sides, and Mr. Blake took a step closer. It was like pulling a trigger as Michael whirled around, not releasing Joe, but giving him enough room to breath as he coughed and tried to to take as much air in as he could. One finger was pointed at his Dad, while a feral look took over the rest of him.

“Don’t speak to me Old Man!” He growled.

“Look at what you’re doing!” Mr. Blake didn’t back down from Michaels bad mood, and I couldn’t stop staring at the pair of them as they tried to stare the other down. “He, is your brother. He, is pack!”

I dared a look at Danny, who was just as focused on what was happening as the rest of us. His lips were pressed together, and his jaw was tight. The energy in the room was ready to explode at any second, and I didn’t want to be here when it did. Fear, excitement; it all poured from Danny into me. I felt like I was in a warzone, charged on adrenaline and ready to take on what ever came my way.

“We have rules. This, is breaking them. For that there are consequences!” Michael yelled back.

“You are breaking them. The pup is breaking them. He, is breaking them, by letting these two know about us and doing nothing about it!” So, it wasn’t just Joe with the issues then and I had no doubt the he was referring to now was Scott.

Michael finally let Joe go completely, and his brother fell to the ground. He shook, staying down and made no sign of moving as he tried to curl up and disappear. His wrath was now turned his Dad, and if something wasn’t done now, I don’t think it could be stopped once it started.

“He can break them. You want to fucking know why? Because he is Alpha and he makes the bloody rules! We’re lucky we were sent down here, and not killed. Do you want that, for us to die like Mum? We had to turn one, not two or three!” He counted out on his hand, waving his fingers in Mr. Blakes face. “Are you that fucking-”

I screamed as Mr. Blake threw the first punch. He hit Michaels jaw with a thumping crack sound, and clearly he wasn’t expecting it as he stumbled to the side due to the force of it. Michael’s recovery was instant though and he launched himself at his Dad, tackling the old man down.

Jake chose then to wake up, and the second he moved Danny practically carried me over to where was laying down.

“Get up man, we gotta go.” Danny snapped at him, grabbing his arm and pulling him up.

“What? What is-”He quickly woke up as the grunts of human effort turned to the more animalistic growls of wolves.

Michael was gone and in his place the grey and white wolf circled the slumped over half changed form of his Dad. It took him longer to change, longer than it took Danny and he was hours behind Michael. Joe hadn’t moved, and I wasn’t sure if he was even still conscious, not that I cared.

Danny turned so he was standing beside me again and looking at Michael he nodded.

“Got your keys?” He asked Jake who didn’t answer.

Jake just put his hand his pocket and pulled them out. I was too focused on seeing the brown wolf finally appear. Mr.Blake muzzle was sprinkled with white hair and the coat lacked the same condition as the others; scruffy and unkept. It was as the older animal turned to square off against Michael that Danny mumbled something that sounded like sorry, and before I could do anything, he’d managed to throw me over his shoulder.

There wasn’t anything glamorous about it. How fireman seem to make this look like an amusing position to be in was beyond me as his shoulder dug in just under my ribs and the feeling of falling had my stomach churning. He held my legs and I didn’t dare risk fighting with him to be put down, too scared he’d drop me as Danny had never been able to pick me up. The best he could do was put me on his shoulders at the beach when we’d get into water fights with Rachelle and Jake or someone.

He moved easier than I thought possible with me chucked over one shoulder, and Jake was close behind with one eye on me and another for the wolves who’d disappeared into the darkness. The sound of them fighting made my blood run cold and my earlier thoughts of our night not being too bad for a first date, were completely ruined.

We got to Jakes car and Danny carefully put me down. Any anger I had earlier was ruined too, and I didn’t know whether I wanted to scream, cry, or do both while murdering them all.

“What is going on?” Jake managed to get out, fumbling with the keys as he opened the door.

“Doesn’t matter. We get Sarah home and-” Danny stopped as a growl came from behind us and we all slowly turned to see Justin slowly approaching us.

His lips were pushed back, revealing white teeth and pink gums. Spit turned to foam as his head lowered and cold blue eyes locked onto us.

“Get Sarah home Jake.” Jake nodded at Danny’s order and opening the backdoor, tried to push me in as Danny took off his shirt and threw into the front of the car.

“Danny, Danny, get in the car too!” I yelled at him, while Jake got in and started it.

“I’ll meet up with you two at the end of the driveway, I’ll slow them down if they chase.” Using more force than Jake, Danny pushed me into the backseat.

In trying to stop him, I ended up falling awkwardly inside, hitting my head on the opposite door. In the time it took me to sit up, Danny threw his pants and shoes in through the window and Jake took off not waiting to see what happened next. The snarling barks and growls of a dogfight were soon gone as the engine roared with effort and the gravel of the drive crunched from the tyres going over it with little care.

“Put your seatbelt on!” Jake snapped at me.

“Stop the car!” I answered instead, moving to sit by the door.

“No, he said get you home!”

“He also said he’d meet us at the end of the drive. Stop the car Jake!”

We went past the fence and the unsealed road got smoother before Jake had no choice other than braking as he followed the curve of it to the highway. Lights approached us from the right, so we had no option to stop and wait for the car to pass unless he wanted to try causing an accident and behind that, there were three more.

I unlocked the door and got out, looking out into the darkness for a sign he was coming. It was silent, just the cars going past, and our cars engine rumbling while he kept it ready to go. Then I knew Danny was coming; it was like the smell of rain just before it arrived and then I heard his whine followed by a yap sound. Looking back into the car, Jake was cursing me, leaning behind the drivers seat to watch me and then I saw the cricket bat on the floor of his car.

Danny wasn’t alone. I could hear the heavy panting of the other wolf and as I saw him running, he was limping. Without thinking I grabbed the bat and in the red of the brake lights, I finally saw Danny.

“Get in the car.” I yelled, moving forward. He slowed, growling at me before turning around. “Get. In. The. Car!”

Jake was saying something, but I couldn’t hear him and as Justin went to attack a retreating Danny, who was doing as I told him to do.

“Back off!” The wolf looked at me, forgetting Danny.

He looked evil, the red light turning the whole situation into something from a hellish nightmare. Even his eyes glowed with the unnatural light, and thebig pink tongue rolled over his snout like a hungry dog. I dared a look back to Danny who was struggling to get into the car and the rumbling snarl that left the animal as it came towards me, had me swinging the bat like my life depended on it, which it probably did.

Justin ducked, yet the bat managed to still get him just below his head. He yelped, falling with a thud and didn’t move. Jake beeped the horn, and Danny’s head hung out of the open doorframe, watching us. His ears were up and forward, ready to come to my aid. I didn’t need him.

The wolf whined, lifting its head before dropping it again and I went closer, leaning on the bat as I bent down in front of him. His eyes opened, a faint growl heard as he snarled. It didn’t bother me.

“You will leave us alone. All of you. Come near me or mine again, and I will make sure it’s for the last time.” I threatened. Danny was whining like an anxious puppy, while Jake called my name. “Understand?”

He whined and closed his eyes, panting with exhaustion.

Getting up, I closed the backdoor and just as I opened the front passenger, Justin turned back to his human form.

‘Wait!” He called out. “It’s not what you think!”

I hesitated, glancing back to where he now laid in the dirt on his stomach.

“Dad pushes Mike all the time. Joe was just pumped up because of the initiation. We’re all on edge because of the full moon. Forget this, okay? It was just a bad night and you can’t make us stay away! We’re pack!”

“Stay away from us!” Was all I said, and getting into the car, Jake took about two seconds to hit the accelator and get us onto the highway, yet the howl that followed us told me it wasn’t going to be over so easily.

-x-

Danny shifted half way home. No one spoke as we made it back to town and stopping at our house Jake was the one to break the silence.

“What now?”

“You leave before I take out some of the anger I’m feeling right now out on you, with that bat.” I snapped.

“Sarah, I didn’t know about- well, I just thought that…”

“Save it. If Danny actually jumped of a cliff, would you do it too?” Once again, I couldn’t help feel like I had to be the parent of the group. Was that what Michael had talked about earlier?

“Well, no, but, I’m sorry.” He mumbled.

“Go home Jake. Merry Christmas.” I got out of the car before he could say anything else and heading towards our driveway, I heard the pair of them talking before the car door slammed shut.

“Sarah!” Danny called, limping over to me.

“What?”

“We really need to talk.”

“I have nothing to say to you.” I kept walking.

“Well I do!” He moved to block my way, and I saw the stratch on his cheek. “You’re not changing. It’s just us, being twins that’s doing it.”

Now he had my attention.

“What ever, I dunno, magic that has turned me into a werewolf, has like, given what ever lync we had to each other a fucking power boost. Apparently there is something in us, well in normal people, that would make them a good werewolf and be strong enough to survive the change.”

“Go on.” Folding my arms, I’m willing to hear him out.

“You have that. I had that, it was part of why they chose me. Because we’re all fucking mental with each other now, me being changed, has made that part of you stronger, which is why we thought you were changing too.”

“How do you know this?”

“Mr. Blake. He’s been asking around from what he’s heard is going on at the moment with us. They don’t like twins that have what we have being changed apparently. It’s why he wants it to happen to you, thinks it’ll make him more of a threat to Scott and turn him off ever coming down here.”

“So what would happen if I did change then? Do I get what, super wolf powers, like I dunno shoot flames out of my eyes? Come on Danny, who can believe a single word any of them say? It’s been a long night, let’s go inside, you need to clean yourself up and tomorrow we will act like nothing is wrong, then we will work out what to do.” I decide.

“What about Michael?” He asks.

“What about him? Nanna said to go on one date. He wanted a chance. I did what they both wanted and I’m done.” Sighing, I step around him and go inside.

“It’s not that simple Sar, he’s not going to give up.” Danny follows me, and I can’t tell whose side he is actually on.

“He doesn’t have a choice.”

I was being naive thinking everything was going to be okay; that we could have our date and that maybe, just maybe something, good, could come of it all. The stupid three theory had sucked me in, just like everything he had said. It gave me hope that normal could still happen with all this crazy going on, but he was wrong. I was wrong.

Dad’s putting some dishes away in the kitchen when we get inside. Danny mumbles a goodnight to him and disappears upstairs before any of the cuts and things all over him are seen and I go head to the fridge.

“It’s eleven o’clock. You’re both home spot on curfew, more like Danny is home at curfew. It’s a Christmas miracle!” Dad laughs to himself.

“It’s someting alright!” I answer dryly.

“So, ah, how was your night?” He asks awkwardly.

“I did what Nanna wanted. Now we can all move on.” I take a sip of water and Dad looks beyond relieved.

“No second date then?”

“Danny being home at curfew was enough of a miracle.” That makes him smile, and I return it.

He comes closer and gives me a hug. “Sorry it didn’t work out love, but you’re so young and there will be other boys. Hopefully not for a while yet and also not too many, and try to find someone who likes fishing.”

“I get it Dad. No need for the pep-talk!”

“Goodnight Sar. Don’t stay up for too much longer otherwise Santa might not come!” He warns.

“I won’t be, Goodnight.”

I wait until he is up stairs and then turn off the kitchen lights. Danny is stil in the shower and just as I go to make sure the front door is locked, I am positive I hear a howl. It’s not the wind whistling through the house. It’s not a neighbourhood dog. It’s Michael; I just know it is and I have no idea why I go outside.

Nothing moves in the street. Crickets chirp their nightly song, and at the end of the road, a streetlight is flashing on and off as the bulb threatens to go out completely. You can faintly hear the sounds of the ocean, a constant whooshing sound as the water constantly breaks on the shore. Everything is how it should be and going to the end of the drive, I close my eyes.

He’s getting closer.

The light finally gives out and sends the corner into darkness. A car goes by a street over. I turn too look right and see nothing there, and in the blink of an eye, the wolf is suddenly there in the middle of the road. Relief hits me first. He’s okay; Mr. Blake didn’t hurt him. Disappointment follows. He’s here, and he can’t be. I leave my house, my territory, my people - my pack, and meet him on the footpath two houses up.

His tongue rolls out of one side of his mouth, his sides are trembling due to the frantic way he is panting and with a groan, he lays down. Falls down. Sitting beside him, his leg comes up towards me, as he whines again and it’s then I notice his paws. Looking closer, they’re a bit cut up, and on his shoulder, the white fur is matted and slick with wetness. I barely touch it and pulling my hand away, it’s blood.

“You can’t be here.” I tell him, stroking just behind his ear and down his neck. “I gave you a chance and that’s it. I’m sorry.”

Michael whines again, and as Danny comes out, he manages to stand. It’s taken him awhile, but he is panting like any canine would do in warm weather; the nearly passing out stage over.

“Sarah?” Danny half whispers, half yells.

“Go home Michael. You shouldn’t have come here.”

I go back home, yet I can feel his eyes on me. In a few steps he is back and settles himself between me and Danny.

“You speak dog, tell him to leave.” I ask Danny coldly.

“He can understand you.” He tells me.

“Then why isn’t he going?”

Looking straight at him, it feels like he can see into my soul and then some. Its unsettling, more than when I get the privledge of feeling Danny’s emotions. It’s like he is there, reading my mind and seeing everything I don’t want him to.

“Come on.” Danny slips by Michael and starts to usher me towards home.  

We get back to our fence, before the naked man in our street chases after us. Danny groans and runs up to the porch, while a familiar anger begins to return.

“Sarah, you can’t shut me out!” Michael yells; not bothering to keep his voice low. “I know you’re doing this because you’re scared and-”

“Scared? Yeah, I am. Because your brother came at me with a knife and we had to try and get out of your place like we were running for our lives. On top of that, for someone who has it under control and told me I could trust them, it really doesn’t seem that way!”

“Jake wanted that and they weren’t going to hurt you. Dad’s not himself right now.” He started.

“Excuses. Michael, we’re done. Tonight was as far as ‘we’ go! Leave!” Danny threw something at him; shorts, and I looked away for a second as he slipped them on.

“You’re being unreasonable. Sarah, I know you don’t want to do this. We had a good time tonight, you can’t pretend nothing happened!” He came closer and Danny started to angle himself between us by the fence. "Fuck the rest of them. I'm only talking about you, and me!"

“She said, leave.” He growled.

“Don’t you even start!” Michael pointed at him. Danny instantly reacted.

He walked around the fence so the pair of them were practically touching, neither backing down though I knew Danny should. Once again, things had potential to escalate quickly.

“I told you no, stay away from her and leave my sister out of it. Then I decide I can trust you, gave you a chance and let her make her mind up. She just fucking did!” Danny yelled.

A light came on from upstairs and I quickly moved to seperate the pair of them.

“Enough. Go home Michael! Please!” I almost begged and he looked at me closely, closer than before if that was even possible. "No more fighting. No games. It's over."

"It's not Sarah. He is one of ours; he can't deny his pack!" There was a hint of regret there, and my resolve wavered slightly from where I hadn't expected that.

“You're wrong, if I have to choose pack or her, I choose her. There is nothing here for you anymore and leave Jake alone too!” Danny finished.

“Enjoy watching your friend die then and you, enjoy living with the guilt.” Michael snarled.

He took two steps away and Danny turned back to the house, about to pull me along with him, when instead he was knocked away and Michael held me against him. “Your drowning Bright Eyes, he can’t save you like I can.”

“I don’t need to be saved.” I couldn’t get him to let me go.

The second he moved to kiss me, I had my hand ready and slapped him; hard. My palm instantly stung from the force of the hit, and he only shook his head - a bitter laugh leaving him. It was impossible to think he was the same person I’d eaten hotdogs with hours earlier. The slap had him letting me go and Danny was there instantly.

“We’ll see, Bright Eyes.” He retorted, that stupid half smile, over confident smirk coming back.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

Instead of answering, he shifted and at the end of the street he howled one final time; sending dogs fo miles around into fits of barking and howling of their own. The worst part was I wanted to do that too.

“What are you two doing outside?” Dad called from the front door. “What’s going on out there?”

“Thought we heard a noise.” Danny answered quickly and started to go inside, while I couldn’t move until I was positive Michael was gone.

Danny was right; it wasn’t going to be that simple.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

713K 7.2K 35
A girl who grew up in a military base with her parents, ends up having to live with her grandparents and her cousin, to have a normal life. However...
5.8M 57.4K 33
Amy is a focused student and just wants to enjoy a care free senior year. Her family is fiercely over protective and she accepted years ago that boy...
Runners By Lbooks01

Teen Fiction

3.8K 45 32
They balance each-other out. One the calm, the other the storm. Except when they don't. Except when she loses it and makes the place burn...literally...
80.9K 3.4K 54
She collapses down in front of me and runs her hands along my shoulders and down my arms. I close my eyes as she lifts my shirt over my head. "I can...