Bonds of Mates

By CrzyCatLdy3

Lucy makes the mistake of not saying anything about an injury, which then spirals into events she never imagi... More

Ch 1
Ch 3
Ch 4
Ch 5
Ch 6
Ch 7
Ch 8
Ch 9
Ch 10

Ch 2

486 19 1
By CrzyCatLdy3

Lucy's pov

I roll over trying to get comfortable when I feel something heavy weighing down the blanket, preventing me from pulling it with me. I groan and sit up slowly and blink a few times. It's dark still. Wait, hang on, I'm in the guild's infirmary. I look down to my hip and see the gash is gone and in it's place a slight scar. I rub it lightly with my fingertips. Still pretty sensitive but so much better than before. I still don't feel 100% but I don't feel dizzy, no headache, my nausea is gone. I start to get up from my spot when a voices startles me in the dark. "You're awake." A mix of pain and anger in that voice but I recognize it. "Natsu?" He stands up and turns on a desk lamp from across the room then returns to his seat at my bedside and leans on the bed. He must have been why I couldn't move the blankets. He was leaning on them. 

The look he was giving me made me feel uneasy. He looked relieved but also really angry. I fiddled with my fingers in my lap. "You feel better?" He asked me making me jump. "yeaa, I think so. I don't feel completely better but better than I did." He nods his head then stands up sits right across from me on the bed and gets really close to my face making me blush. "Um, Natsu..?" He grabs me into a tight hug and squeezes me gently. I stiffen at first then slowly relax and bring my arms around him as well. I rest my forehead on his shoulder and I feel him move his hand from my back to the back of my head. He slowly let's me go and I do the same but bring my hand to his cheek. "Natsu, are you okay?" I ask worried. I notice a flash of anger cross his eyes but as quickly as I see it, it disappears. "No. I'm not." I stayed silent waiting for him to finish what he's going to say, "You almost died, Lucy. You were at death's door practically banging on it to go though it."

I didn't know what to say to him. I felt so guilty and really stupid. "I was scared this was it." I could see he was trying hard not to tear up. "I'm sorry Natsu.." I pulled him back into me and he relaxed into my chest. Just like back on the train, I hear and feel him breath me in deeply and sigh out in satisfaction. "I didn't mean to have you go through this Natsu I'm so sorry.. I can explain wh.." He sits up out of my arms and places a finger to my lips. "Let's talk about that once you're feeling completely better, okay?" He says suddenly exhausted. He lays back and pulls me down with him.. and I lay just under his chin and feel myself get comfortable and drift deep into restful sleep.

*time skip one week later*

Lucy pov

I feel so much better. The poison I had and how sick I got just feels like a bad dream. Natsu told me we'd talk when I got better but we haven't yet. It's like he's avoiding me. When we do talk? He's short tempered with me. Barely keeps conversation with me like he doesn't WANT to talk to me. He's almost never in the guild when I'm there, and he's stopped coming to the apartment. I'd be lying if I said that it didn't bother me, cause it does. It kinda hurts. Natsu's my best friend and honestly, I felt like I liked him more than that. A lot more than that. I've only hinted at my feelings towards Natsu to one person and she's been sworn to secrecy about it. I trust Levy to not say anything. She doesn't even touch on the subject in a teasing way. Which I'm grateful for because several others in the guild already tease us both for us "liking each other" but it's from pure speculation. Especially Mira and her wanting her "ship to sail".  All I know he loves is fighting, food, family and Igneel. No romantic love to speak of. If he's ever felt that way, you'd never know it with the way he acts. 

I'm sat at the bar with some tea watching Natsu and Gray but heads for what felt like the millionth time today. Over what? I couldn't tell you. Probably over something dumb as usual. Natsu just seemed to be extra cranky this last week. Pretty sure it's my fault. I tried getting him to go on a job with me. I didn't need the jewel, from the plant job I had more than enough for my rent so I was set, I just wanted something to do and get out of the guild for a while but he flatly said no and suggested I take a break from jobs for a little while. I guess that's understandable given how severely sick I was from the last one. But what hurt the most, was instead of doing jobs with me, he'd take them with Lisanna. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against her, but every time I saw them together, hanging out, giggling, talking.. it hurt. 

I finished my tea and walked over to Natsu after Erza knocked the crap out of both him and Gray for fighting. "Now play nice you two." The reply in unison, "Yes, ma'am." rubbing their heads still glaring at each other. "Hey Natsu!" He looks up at me and doesn't lose his irritation. "Yeaa?" I frown that he didn't answer me in his usual cheerful way like before. "Can we take a walk and talk outside?" He continues rubbing his head. The expression on his face makes me think if he's debating if he really wants to be anywhere near me. "Yea, sure." He gets up and heads out the door without even waiting for me. I jog after him to catch up. 

We walked in silence for a while and it got awkward. Really awkward. It felt so unnatural it made me uncomfortable. "So, did you wanna have that conversation?" He looks up at me confused for a second, "What conversation?" I have to blink away the disbelief from my face before answering, "The one about what happened? With the giant plants?" His confusion is replaced with recognition but annoyance, "Oh, that one." I'm starting to get angry myself with the way he's responding. "Yea, THAT one." We make it to a spot in the park a little ways from my apartment and he sits down on a bench beneath an apple tree. He has his arms leaned on his knees and his hands folded in front of him. "Well? Talk." He says flatly as he glares out at nothing. What is his problem?? "Okay Natsu what's the matter with you? You've been acting strange lately ever since I got better from my injury. You've gotten distant from me, you barely talk to me, what gives?" I don't know if it was what I said, or the way I said it but he was set off. "Are you serious?? 'What gives'? 'Whats the matter with me'?? You Lucy!"

I finch at the aggression in his tone of voice. "Why didn't you just let Wendy heal you?? She went RIGHT TO YOU and was RIGHT THERE to help you, and you didn't let her?? Why? You didn't have to go through what you did! You didn't have to put ME through what happened to you! I was worried sick about you! I was scared for you! I thought you were DYING. You WERE dying! All because you were too stubborn to take Wendy's help!" He finishes shouting at me and I lower my head letting my hair cover my eyes. "Natsu, I didn't take Wendy's help because I didn't want to be a burden to her or any of you. I'm ALWAYS the 'damsel in distress'. You guys are always having to save my ass because I'm not strong enough. You guys are always forced to pick up the slack I create. I thought I could heal myself with my spirits help. I wanted to do it on my own and not burden you guys." I say quietly. "YOU'RE NOT A BURDEN!!" 

I look up at him sheepishly. He's not even trying to hide how pissed he actually is anymore. "You have NEVER been a burden to me! I don't care how many times I have to save and protect you. I ALWAYS WILL! You're 'not strong enough'?! Don't start with that! I don't understand why you think that!" He finishes through clenched teeth. I feel my eyes well up with tears, I already feel so guilty about it and I hate how mad he is at me, he doesn't understand. "I'm always the one getting hurt! I'm always the one getting kidnapped or taken and threatened! No one else in our group seems to have the same issue that I do! Why do you think that is?? Oh, I know, because I'm not strong enough to fend for myself on my own! That doesn't happen to Erza, or you, or Gray, not even Wendy! But me? Just about every time! That's probably why you've been taking jobs with Lisanna and ditched me! She's not about to be kidnapped or hurt as easily!" 

He drops his glare and just looks like he's done with me, "At least I know for sure she's going to be honest with me if she gets really hurt in a fight or on a mission. If something happens she'll tell me and we work things out as a team." And with that my heart broke. "Fine. Take all the jobs you want with her! Completely leave me behind Natsu!" I turn on my heels and begin walking away but stop and turn my head to him and say, "Again, I'm sorry." and head back to the guild. Leaving Natsu alone underneath the apple tree looking back at me.

I march through the doors and plant myself at the bar. "Mira!" She comes over to me with a puzzled expression, "What can I get ya Lucy?" "A whisky please." She looks surprised, "I did hear you right, you said a whisky?" "Yeaa" She doesn't move for a moment but then says, "Okay, coming up." I just wanted to feel numb. She comes back with the whisky and I take a swig from it and set it down again. Feeling the liquid warm me up from the inside. I feel a gentle tap on my shoulder. I look up to see Levy. "Hey Levy.." "Uh, Hey, Lu.." She takes a seat next to me while looking at me concerned. "You okay? You never just.. drink." I down the rest of my drink and grab her wrist and we make our way to the library in the guild.

Natsu pov

I made it back to the guild trying to find Lucy. I didn't mean to hurt her. I was just so mad about what happened. I wanted to further explain myself but she just left before I really could. I looked around the guild and could smell her but didn't see her. Ugh. "Hey Natsu! I found a job we could go on!" I hear Lisanna as she runs up to me with a job request in hand. "Mira's already stamped it and said we're good to go! It's here in town too!" I sigh, "Now's not really a good time to go on a job for me Lis." She frowns but then brings her lips back up into a smile, "Oh come on Natsu! It's here in town and will be quick and easy!" I sigh giving up. I'll find Lucy later I guess. Give her some time to cool off and give myself a chance to calm down too. "Alright, alright, let's go." "Yay! Come on!" Lisanna drags me out the guild doors.

Lucy pov

I sit down on the floor in the back of the guild and Levy just stands over me watching me with her arms crossed. "Okay, what's wrong?" I just look at the floor and cry angry tears. She notices this and comes down to my level. "Hey, what's wrong? Talk to me Lu." She gently rubs my back trying to console me. I finally lift my head and face her, "Natsu's angry with me." "What? Why?" "He's angry at me for what happened with the giant plant job we went on." "Why?? That wasn't your fault!" I sniffle and wipe my face, "No, but it was my fault that I chose not to say anything about getting hurt. I tried talking to him about why I didn't say anything to anyone and he blew up on me. I knew he was upset about it but not this upset. To the point that he's angry at me!" I've stopped crying but feel empty. I feel like I really messed up.

"Well, why didn't you take any help?" I brought my knees up to my chest and cross my arms over the top and dig my chin into my arms. I shrug my shoulders at first but say, "I'm tired of being a burden Levy. Almost every job request we respond to and every mission we go on, I'm ALWAYS the one that gets hurt or kidnapped. Forcing everyone to stop what they're doing to help me, to find me. I know I've gotten stronger over the years but it just doesn't seem like it's enough. I'll never be on the same level as the rest of my team. I get stronger, then they get twice as strong. I can't keep up." I bury my face into my arms. "Lucy, you're strong in your own way." I raise my head and lay it back down facing her. "How?" She takes her hand back and places it in her lap. "You may not be physically as strong as the rest of the team but that's okay. You make up for it with your magic. I mean, look at what you can do? Your star dress form? Being able to do that AND summon your spirits at the same time? Not only that, but being able to summon more than one spirit at once? You've even figured out how to fuse two spirits into your star dress forms! That takes a lot of magic power. Yet, you've done it! Easily!" 

I consider her words and it makes me feel a little better. But not a whole lot. "I know Levy but it just.." "But nothing Lu." I stop trying to talk. "You are strong. You're not a burden to anyone. Especially least of all Natsu. I know he doesn't feel that way about you. None of us do." I look away from her and bring my chin back to my arms. "Natsu said the same thing." "See? There you go." She pauses for a moment while looking at me. "You know what?" I look up at her as she stands up and dusts off her pants and extends her hand to me, "Let's see if we can't find anything in the library about celestial magic and getting stronger." I gently smile at her and say, "Yeaa, okay."

Natsu pov

We finished the job but Lisanna got hurt. She twisted her ankle coming back down to attack one of four thieves we were asked to handle but he dodged out of the way and she twisted her ankle. Pretty sure it's broken so I had to carry her back. "Hey Wendy, can you take a look at Lisanna's foot? I think it's broken" Lisanna hissed a little when Wendy gently grabbed it to inspect it. "Yeaa it's broken but that's not a problem. Bring her to the infirmary." I follow her in and let her heal her. "Ahh, thanks Wendy! It doesn't hurt any more!" Wendy smiles, "No problem. I'd take it easy on it for a couple of days though. Just to be sure it doesn't break again too soon." She nods and lets Wendy wrap it. We walk back to one of the back tables and sit down and talk.

Lucy pov

"There are certain types of spirits who mastered a 'sixth sense' or a 'natural instinct' when it comes to danger. Be it a ranged attack or direct hand to hand combat. They have the ability to also sense any imminent threat. Natural or otherwise." I finish reading aloud. "That sounds useful." Levy says. I continue, "Although it is not perfect, no celestial spirit has been known to perfect it, leaving room for error, it is an otherwise useful ability to protect themselves as well as their gatekeepers when face to face with any danger they come across." I conclude. "Yea that does sound useful." "Does it say how you achieve it?" "Not really, just that they did a lot of meditation in various places while practicing being attacked." She nods her head but smiles. I smile back while closing the book. "I think I can do that!" "Yea you can!" I start heading out but notice Levy isn't following me. "You coming?" She's glancing at a book shelf, "No, I think I'm gonna stay here a little while longer and do some more reading." She giggles and I giggle back. "Okay, see you later Levy! I'm gonna head home!" "See ya!"

I clutch the book to my chest. Maybe this can really help on jobs and missions. If I can sense and avoid the danger, I won't be in it to start with and no one will have to worry about having to save me anymore. I hear giggling as I approach the front of the guild and recognize them. Natsu and Lisanna. Guess he took my advise. Not that I really wanted him to. I round the corner just in time to see them.. kissing?? I felt my heart pound in chest before bursting to pieces. Was he really that angry with me? That done with me? I feel myself getting ready to cry again but I high tail it out of there before anyone has a chance to notice. "LUCY WAIT!"

*moments before Lucy comes around the corner*

Natsu pov

"How's your foot? No pain right?" I ask Lisanna. "Nope. Healed up! Wendy is amazing at what she does. You wouldn't know it was broken at all if you didn't know any better. You know, you were pretty amazing too getting me here as fast as you did." I just faced her with a smile and said, "No problem!" Then I feel her lips touch my cheek thanking me. Then I see Lucy running out of the guild.. crying. What happened? "LUCY WAIT!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72.7K 2.6K 18
Lucy's breath hitched. "You saved mine, so I'll have to save yours. That's just how it works. So, naturally, I can't leave until that happens. I'm be...
11.4K 390 15
Lucy didn't expect in the slightest way possible that her life could get crazier than it already is but she was wrong. Now Lucy is a cat and she is t...
564K 18.1K 23
All her life Lucy heartifillia has been suffering from her father and the past. This beautiful, shy, and kind girl has been hiding her real problems...
24.1K 649 14
When Natsu finally realizes the importance of his loved ones after the loss and grief of a death in the guild, Natsu is sent straight into oblivion. ...