Eye of Horus (Persona 5)

By CelestialShadowWolf

Born in a different country, Mikono Tsutsui encounters difficulties when she moves to Japan with her parents... More

|| Prologue: Taste of Reality ||
|| I: Rendezvous in the Rain ||
|| II: Prisoners of the Unknown ||
|| III: Return to Reality ||
|| IV: Outcasts ||
|| V: Realm of Twisted Desires ||
|| VI: Tormented Souls ||
|| VII: Rebellious ||
|| IX: Interrogation ||
|| X: Sealed Lips ||
|| XI: Risky Proposition ||
|| XII: A Hopeful Glimpse ||
|| XIII: Shattered Sanity ||
|| XIV: Blossoming Bonds ||
|| XV: The Lady of Slaughter ||
|| XVI: Forging New Connections ||
|| XVII: Unforeseen Encounter ||
|| XVIII: The Bleeding Effect ||
|| XIX: Green-Eyed Monster ||
|| XX: In Pursuit of Treasure ||
|| XXI: Skirmish in the Chapel ||
|| XXII: Bountiful Revelation ||
|| XXIII: The Sin of Lust ||
|| XXIV: Retribution ||
|| XXV: Vanquishing Sins ||
|| XXVI: Clinical Trial ||
|| XXVII: Echo Across Dimensions ||
|| XXVIII: Isaac Blackwell's Blessing ||
|| XXIX: Fractured Façade ||
|| XXX: Tantalizing Cuisine ||
|| XXXI: The Genesis of the Phantom Thieves ||
|| XXXII: Mementos ||
|| XXXIII: Impromptu Expedition ||
|| XXXIV: Fragmented Heart ||
|| XXXV: Confrontation ||
|| XXXVI: Semblance of Benevolence ||
|| XXXVII: Museum Escapade ||
|| XXXVIII: Unsought Consequences ||
|| XXXIX: An Artist's Muse ||
|| XL: Awakening ||
|| XLI: New Recruit ||
|| XLII: A Fox Among Thieves ||
|| XLIII: God of the Underworld ||
|| XLIV: The Detective Prince ||
|| XLV: The Trickster and the Puppeteer ||
|| XLVI: A Sinner's Jewel ||
|| XLVII: The Sin of Vanity ||
|| XLVIII: Dwelling Beliefs ||
|| XLIX: Bitter Medicine ||
|| L: Blood of the Innocent ||
|| LI: Road to Recovery ||
|| LII: Honoring a Promise ||
|| LIII: Union of Hearts ||
|| LIV: Quest for Vengeance ||
|| LV: New Gig ||
|| LVI: Field Trip ||
|| LVII: Interview with a Detective ||
|| LVIII: Hot Pot ||
|| LIX: Unveiled Secrets ||
|| LX: Antagonistic Allies ||
|| LXI: Prowling Predators ||
|| LXII: Neon-Lit Nightlife ||
|| LXIII: A Deity's Trace ||
|| LXIV: Into the Lion's Den ||
|| Special: Mikono's Palace ||
|| LXV: Fictitious Legend ||
|| LXVI: Tainted Wealth ||
|| LXVII: God of the Sky ||
|| LXVIII: A Maid's Tale ||
|| LXIX: Calm Before the Storm ||
|| LXX: The Sin of Gluttony ||
|| LXXI: Enchanting Moment ||
|| LXXII: Art Exhibition ||
|| LXXIII: Detective Versus Thief ||
|| LXXIV: Study Buddies ||
|| LXXV: Fireworks Festival ||

|| VIII: Seeking the Truth ||

4.1K 100 20
By CelestialShadowWolf

Hunched over with his hands resting on his knees, Ryuji panted and gasped for air. Akira placed his hands on his hips as he tried to catch his breath. Mikono places a hand over her racing heart, waiting for it to calm down. Morgana was slumped against the ground in an attempt to bring air back into its lungs from the long sprint.

Once they all had calmed down and caught their breath, Ryuji was the first to break the silence. "Anyways!" He returned to his full stature and turned to the others while gesturing to his new outfit. "I don't remember changin' into this!"

"You look like a thug," Akira spoke honestly.

Mikono promptly covered her mouth and nose with a hand when an unattractive snort slipped from her nose after laughing at the comment. She cleared her throat when she saw Akira smiling and Ryuji frowning at her. "H-Hey, don't laugh! I-It's much better than his magician-lookin' one!" The blonde retorts.

"Sorry," Mikono said, smiling. "I couldn't help myself. I think you both look amazing. The outfits suit you both so well." Both boys began to blush, looking away from the smiling girl.

Their gazes soon landed on the locked front doors of the castle when they heard the sound of armor 'clanking' and a voice shouting, "Did you find them?!"

"Quiet!" Morgana hissed.

"No," another voice responded to the first. "Search that way!"

When the voices faded, Ryuji glanced down at Morgana with a puzzled expression. "So what's goin' on? I'm completely lost, man!"

"I told you before," Morgana huffed. "When a Persona-user opposes a Palace's ruler and becomes a threat to them, this happens. It's to prevent you from being affected by distortions."

Mikono looked down at her own body. "How come I haven't been affected by distortions yet?"

"Effects only begin to show after long exposure to this place. You'll be fine, Lady Mikono."

"I see..."

Ryuji lifted his hands, tracing his fingers across the edges of his mask. "Is this...a skull?"

"Your appearance reflects your inner self. It's the rebel that slumbers within," Morgana informed. "...Not that you'll get it."

The boy hung his head with a heavy sigh. "Nope..."

"Then stop asking questions and accept what you see for what it is."

With a pout, the student crossed his arms. "Easy for you to say." Then, he gasps dramatically before yelling, "Wait, we're in deep shit!"

Morgana, once again, yelled in a hushed tone with a sharp glare directed at the blonde. "I said to be quiet!"

"We might've gotten away here, but we're still screwed with Kamoshida at the real school," Ryuji commented just above a whisper.

"That's quite sharp of you," the cat compliments before adding, "For being an idiot."

"It will be troublesome," Mikono said.

"Relax," it smiled up at her. "The Kamoshida in reality can't possibly know about what happens here. A Shadow is the true self that is suppressed-a side of one's personality they don't want to see."

"So we're okay?" Ryuji deduces.

"Did the Kamoshida in reality remember about the execution or Lady Mikono's imprisonment?" Morgana crossed its arms, responding with its own question. When the students didn't respond to deny it, the feline nodded. "There you have it."

"All right!" The delinquent cheered. "Now that we know that, all we gotta do is-"

"Wait," Morgana interrupted him. "I guided you as promised. It's your turn to cooperate with me. That's why I was super nice about teaching you idiots everything."

Mikono frowned and placed a hand over her aching heart. "Ouch, Morgana... That hurt..."

The cat's ears twitched before smiling lovingly up at her. "I didn't mean you, Lady Mikono! I originally came here for an investigation. I need to erase the distortion from my body and regain my real form! That's why we must delve deeper into Mementos and-"

"Whoa, hold up," Ryuji promptly intervenes. "What're you goin' on about? We never said anything about helpin' you out."

"Huh?" A petrified expression appeared on Morgana's face. "Don't tell me... Are you not going to repay the hospitality I showed you? Especially you!" He jabbed a paw at Akira. "You're going to up and leave, even though you're already part of my master plan?!"

Akira shoved his hands into his pockets, meeting the cat's azure gaze with his obsidian one. "I never promised."

"See? I wasn't lyin'," Ryuji rebuttal.

"Is it because I'm not human?" Morgana questioned with a fierce glare. "Because I'm like a cat? Is that why you're making a fool of me?!"

"Calm down, Morgana," Mikono chimed in. "We appreciate your kindness, but..."

"We're busy!" Ryuji finished the girl's sentence. He kneeled down beside the feline and patted the top of its head. "Thanks for everything, cat. You've got guts, bein' a cat and all! See you around!"

Before Mikono could express her own gratitude, Akira grabbed her hand and pulled her along as he and Ryuji dashed away from the entrance of the castle to the nearby alleyway across the street. She heard Morgana curse as it yelled at them before she felt a familiar tug on her body and realized they were back in the real world. She then heard a familiar computerized voice from Akira's phone.

"You have returned to the real world. Welcome back."

"Thank god, we're back," Ryuji huffed out between pants. Once catching his breath, he looked between Akira and Mikono. "I dragged you guys around a lot, huh? Sorry..."

"It's all right, Ryuji. We're friends, aren't we?" Mikono beamed gently at him before looking down at Akira's hand, which was still encasing her own. "Um, Kurusu-kun? You can let go of my hand now."

The messy-haired boy eyed their connected hands before unbinding them. He scratched the back of his neck, looking away to hide his cherry red cheeks. "Sorry..." He whispered under his breath.

Ryuji ignored their exchange and sighed exhaustedly. "Ugh, I'm dead tired... How you guys holdin' up?"

"I'm exhausted," Akira confesses.

"Me, too..." Mikono added.

"Same here," Ryuji stated. "Man, I'm gonna sleep like a rock when I get home. But damn, if what we saw was for real, this is gonna get good! I totally remember the faces of the guys Kamoshida was treatin' like slaves. Once we make 'em fess up to any physical abuse, Kamoshida will be done. So...you guys wanna help me look for those guys or any witnesses?"

"Sure, I'll help," Akira responded. "What about you, Tsutsui-chan?"

"Oh!" Ryuji gasped before Mikono could reply to Akira. "You could convince 'em to speak up! You're a victim, too! Maybe if you were to tell 'em about how Kamoshida treats you, they'll-!"

"I've already tried!" Mikono shouted, a few tears of frustration cascading down her cheeks. She wiped them away with the heels of her palms when both boys stared at her with shocked and sorrowful expressions. She calmed herself down and explained. "I tried to speak up, but I was only silenced. The teachers and principal at Shujin thought I was trying to tarnish Kamoshida's reputation just to get attention. That's why I don't think talking to the members of the volleyball team will work, but...I still want to help."

Ryuji's melancholic expression was replaced with an excited one. "Now that's what I'm talkin' about!" Then, his brows furrowed as he looked over at Akira. "Hey, so... If you're thinkin' of layin' low 'cause you got a record, I don't think that'll help. Everyone already knows. They totally got you pegged as a criminal."

"How'd that happen?" Akira inquired.

"That's what I've been trying to figure out," Mikono said. "Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a lead."

"I bet Kamoshida opened his damn mouth!" Ryuji proclaimed.

"Seriously?" Akira sighed.

The blonde crossed his arms. "No one else besides a teacher could've leaked it that fast! It doesn't matter if it's a student or a club; that asshole just wrecks things he doesn't agree with. Just like he did with me! No one'll take anything I say seriously, either. But if he's willin' to hit Mikky, those rumors about him gettin' physical might be real. And after seein' Kamoshida's distorted-heart thing in person, there's no way I can just sit back!"

Akira nodded, his mind already made up. "Of course. I feel the same way."

"Then we'll be counting on your help, Kurusu," Mikono smiled at the messy-haired boy.

Out of the blue, Ryuji's stomach growled and alerted him and his friends. They looked toward the chocolate-eyed boy with grins. He looked away from them as he placed a hand over his abdomen. "Oh... Right. I haven't eaten anything since lunch. It'd be weird splittin' off now, so why don't we grab a bite somewhere?"

"Sure," Akira agreed. "Where're we going?"

Ryuji grinned. "Just follow me. I mean, we totally gotta hear about your past!"

"Are we going where I think we are?" Mikono raised a brow in question.

The boy's smirk only grew wider. "You know it!"

<-----<<<<<

"What?!" The golden-haired boy screeched after listening to Akira explain the reason behind his criminal record. He nearly choked on his ramen but managed to keep the food from lodging in his throat by taking a sip of his drink. "The hell, man! How much shittier can that asshole get?!

"Calm down," Akira stated, looking up from his bowl of ramen.

"Yeah, Ryuji. It's rude to shout in a restaurant. People are beginning to stare..." Mikono muttered as she sat between the two boys, picking at her ramen with her chopsticks.

"Oh," Ryuji frowned. "My bad."

Mikono nudged half of a hard boiled egg around in the broth, staring down at her bowl. "I couldn't believe what happened to you when Principal Kobayakawa told me the reason behind your sudden transfer. And now that I've heard the real story, I definitely know you're not to blame. I still can't believe that woman defended the man who assaulted her..."

Akira ceased eating, lowering his chopsticks. "You really didn't think I was a criminal when we first met, Tsutsui-chan?"

She shook her head, lifting her gaze up and smiling at him. "Nope. I was suspicious at first when Principal Kobayakawa mentioned you had a criminal record, but then I met you and was able to speak with you. You're definitely not a criminal. So many innocent people have been accused of crimes they didn't commit, and you're one of them. I know I've said this before, but don't let the rumors at school bother you. I know it's only your second day attending Shujin Academy, but you can count on me and Ryuji if you need anything. Don't hesitate to ask anything, okay? That's what friends are for."

The frizzy-haired boy didn't realize he was staring at Mikono until she excused herself when she received a call from her parents. She left the eatery with her phone before picking up.

Ryuji watched her leave before slurping up a mouthful of noodles. "So...you left your hometown and...you're livin' here now, huh? We might be more alike than I originally thought."

"You may be right," Akira said, tearing his eyes away from the entrance of the eatery to meet the boy's gaze.

He lowered his bowl and chopsticks. "You're the first guy that made me think that. I guess it's how we're treated like a pain in the ass by the people around us, like we don't belong. At least we've got Mikky. She's the only person who's ever really cared about people like us. It's thanks to her I was able to keep goin' after I did somethin' stupid at school." Ryuji's thoughts raced to their conversation with Shadow Kamoshida and a grave expression appeared on his face. "I wonder what deal Mikky made with Kamoshida..."

"Maybe we should ask her when she returns," Akira suggested.

"Yeah," the blonde nodded. "I wanna know why that asshole decided to target her, too."

The two boys waited for Mikono to return. The young girl walked back inside with a sigh and reclaimed her spot between them a few minutes later. She placed her phone in her school bag and picked up her chopsticks. Before she could speak, Ryuji questioned her. "What deal did you make with Kamoshida, Mikky?"

"I was hoping you would've forgotten that..." She confesses, her gaze downcast. "I guess I've hidden it from you for too long, Ryuji."

Said boy placed his chopsticks down, giving her his full attention. "What did you offer him?"

"After I left the hospital the day you were admitted, I returned to school and made an offer with Kamoshida. Every time you stepped out of line, I would be the one to take the punishment. He didn't even need time to think and accepted my offer."

Suddenly, Ryuji slammed his fists against the counter and startled the girl. He hung his head, fists shaking in anger. "All the bruises... All the scratches... They've been my fault..."

"No," Mikono sternly proclaimed. "Everything that has happened to us is all Kamoshida's fault. You've never-"

"Why the hell would you make a deal like that with that asshole?!" Ryuji shouted, silencing and frightening her. "I don't need your help!"

Mikono's eyes widen as she felt her heart shatter. She didn't budge for a few seconds, in shock at his words. Once she was able to move again, she lowered her head and hid her face with her long, inky locks. "I see..." She grabbed her bag, stood up from her seat, and turned her back to the boys. "Guess I'm not needed here, then." Leaving an entire bowl of ramen behind, Mikono made a prompt exit.

Akira was in just as much shock as Mikono, watching said girl leave the eatery. He averted his gaze when she was out of sight and stared at Ryuji. "I can't believe you just said that, Sakamoto."

"I don't need to be protected by her..." Ryuji admits. "I'm supposed to be the one protectin' her, dammit! Seein' her with those bruises and scratches always pisses me off! How is that asshole gettin' away with all this shit?! Mikono doesn't deserve to be treated like trash by anyone!"

"What you said..." Akira muttered, staring at the entrance of the eatery. "I don't think you meant for it to sound so...harsh. You should contact Tsutsui and tell her what you just told me."

Once the anger vanquished from Ryuji's eyes, he was able to see clearly and realize what had slipped from his mouth. He slumped back in the seat, hanging his head. "Oh, shit..."

<-----<<<<<

Back home, Mikono took a bath and remained in her room for the rest of the night. She read through a few pages of the history book she received from the library yesterday. When she began rereading the same sentence over and over again, she sighed and closed the book. Grabbing her blanket, she slung it over her head and stared down at her phone. The screen lit up with myriads of text messages from Ryuji and Akira. There were even a few notifications informing her of the numerous missed calls from both boys, as well.

Mikono scrolled through the messages from Ryuji and listened to the four voicemails he left. When she finished with his, she moved on to Akira's. Once done, she decided to not message either of them and placed her phone on the nightstand.

A knock came from Mikono's door, starling her slightly. She gave the person permission to enter and saw her mother, Ichika. She entered the room and smiled at her, sitting down on the edge of the bed. "How're you feeling? You didn't eat any dinner."

"I'm fine," Mikono responds with a frail smile. "Just...not hungry."

Ichika placed a hand on her daughter's forehead. "You're not getting sick, are you?"

The young girl shook her head. "No. I've been busy reading another book."

"Well, make sure you go to bed early. You still have school tomorrow. Before I forget..." She held out a photo of an excavation site somewhere Mikono wasn't familiar with. "Your father and I will be heading to Italy next month. Will you be all right by yourself?"

Mikono nodded. "I'll be fine, Mom. Have you already made up the work schedule for next month?"

"Yes. We've a few holes in the schedule due to the lack of part-timers recently," Ichika sighed.

"Maybe I could find someone at school who could help around the museum next month."

"Then I'll leave the hiring process to you! I know your father and I can trust you. Just make sure to add them to the payroll as soon as possible so they can receive their paychecks on time."

"I know, I know," Mikono groaned. "I can handle everything on my own. You and Dad only need to worry about booking a flight and finding a place to stay while you're in Italy."

Ichika wrapped her arms around her daughter and kissed her forehead. "Let's just hope your father picks a better hotel this time."

"Maybe I should help him..."

"I would really appreciate it if you could." Ichika kissed Mikono on the cheek before releasing her. "I'll see you in the morning. Good night, Honey."

"Good night, Mom."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.6K 555 36
Y/n L/n is having a regular day trying to rest after a school day. However, the gods demanded nah. Suddenly transported into the Y/n most recent favo...
7.6K 362 50
Akira is called back to Tokyo for summer vacation plans with Ann and their Phantom Thieves family. Only things don't go as expected when they find th...
292K 7.2K 64
(COMPLETED) Yuuen Morito is known as the "Big Sister" figure in the school. Friendly to everyone and member of the prestigious Student Council. When...
108K 3.1K 58
And what about the boy who sat behind the phantom their leader and didn't tell a soul? What if he wasn't so passive, but instead worked the courage t...