|| IX: Interrogation ||

|| 4/13 Wednesday |||| Early Morning ||

|| Early Morning ||

At Shibuya Station, Mikono waited on the loading platform for the train to Aoyama-itchōme Station. She scrolled through the messages from Ryuji and Akira with a crestfallen expression. By reading the texts from both boys, she could tell they both desperately wanted to discuss what happened at the ramen shop yesterday. Every time she built up the courage to text them back, she was reminded of how useless she truly was when they navigated their way through Kamoshida's Palace. She knew Ryuji wanted to apologize to her, but a voice inside her head kept distorting his words. If he didn't need her help, then she truly was useless. Even Morgana was more useful than herself.

With a sigh, Mikono boarded the train heading to Aoyama-itchōme Station. She was squished between two women who were both chatting away with one another. She held her bag close to her chest when she was forced back against the door of the train. Another heavy sigh slipped from her lips as she glanced out the window, admiring the passing scenery.

When she heard people around her beginning to complain and shuffle around, she tore her gaze from the window and saw someone pushing through the crowded train. She could hear the person apologizing to the people around them as they made their way toward her. Mikono's brows furrowed in confusion, wondering why someone would try to maneuver through a horde of tightly-packed people. Another apology slipped from the person's mouth and the girl was able to recognize the voice. Peeping through the taller people surrounding her, she spotted Akira only a few feet away. He continued to shove and apologize his way through people in order to reach her.

Suddenly, the two women in front of Mikono were peeled away from one another to reveal Akira. She stared up at him, hugging her bag tighter. "What're you doing, Kurusu?"

"Trying to reach you," he responds, readjusting his bag on his shoulder. "Why haven't you called or texted me back?"

The guilt from earlier returned tenfolds. "I-I'm sorry for not responding to you or Ryuji. To be honest, what he said yesterday made me realize something. At the castle, all I proved to be was a nuisance. How can I help you or Ryuji when I'm always in the way?"

"That's not true," Akira promptly denies her accusation against herself. "Whether you've noticed it or not, you've helped me more than anyone. You looked past my criminal record and gave me a chance to show you who I truly am. It's nice having someone like you care about me. I never thought I would've made friends here in Tokyo, but I'm glad you proved me wrong, Tsutsui-chan."

Mikono couldn't stop a smile from manifesting on her face, feeling more relaxed and confident. "I'm glad we met, Kurusu. I'm happy to have made another friend."

The girl's smile was contagious and Akira smiled back. "Me, too."

"I may not be able to help you in the castle, but I'll do my best to support you and Ryuji in any way possible."