Elfhaven (the Danu Cycle: Fi...

By writeriz

The outposts are one thing, fey court is another entirely. With an inherited title she didn't earn and massiv... More

Before you read
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Epilogue
Want more?
New Covers!

Chapter Eight

15 2 1
By writeriz

Niamh opened her eyes, still feeling groggy. No one sat by her side, and she wondered if she had dreamt it all. Her head pounded and her thigh screamed in pain when she rolled over.

Nope, that was me screaming, she realised.

"O'Callaghan!" Pearse popped into her field of view, his face full of concern.

"Pearse." She nodded, trying to remember why she was in bed, in pain, with Pearse watching over her. "Last I remember, we were sneaking out. Did we get caught?"

Pearse's usual stoic demeanour broke into a grin. "I am glad you are all right, my lady."

Niamh groaned. "Not this again, Pearse. Really."

"Apologies. O'Callaghan. It is good to see you are yourself."

"Who else would I be?"

"I see why Dwendardien had trouble besting you, O'Callaghan," he said, his voice thick.

"Really? I thought he was just putting off the inevitable as a practically-based joke."

She heard Pearse laugh. "There is someone here to see you."

Niamh's heart skipped, thinking surely Killian or Lochlan, or even Myrna had come to see she was awake. She didn't expect her heart to soften when she saw Eamon and his violet eyes sit down on the edge of the bed.

Eamon nodded to Pearse. "Could you give us a moment?"

"Of course," Pearse replied and Niamh heard the door open and close.

Niamh stared at Eamon. Memories of what happened washed over her in waves. Eamon's face was full of concern, but still held a hint of mocking about it.

"You are an idiot," he said.

"Much appreciated. Why especially?" she asked, draping her arm over her eyes.

He smiled. "I told you not to do it."

"It was my duty. I'd have had to face him eventually, Eamon."

"I know," he said so softly she thought she'd heard wrong. "I had just hoped it would not have been so soon and that you would be more prepared." Neither said anything for a while, and he continued, "I knew he would lead you to danger."

"Don't put this on Killian, Eamon," she sighed.

"He is the leader of your fiann, O'Callaghan. It is his duty to protect you...all." He said the last word too late for her to truly believe he'd been thinking about the rest of her fiann.

"He looks out for us. We all thought this would be best. We'd planned it since Donagh told me we were leaving Gryffynhall."

"What?" his tone was sharp and Niamh felt a stab of guilt.

"I knew Dwendardien was coming for me. I thought it was better to save the others and meet him head on." She sighed. "I'd been warned he was powerful...but that... At least I know what I'm up against now."

"You need someone who thinks of your best interests, Niamh."

"I have that someone."

"Who?" he scoffed, sounding sceptical.

"You," she said before she realised what she was saying. She froze, her heart thudding, waiting for him to say something.

"Really? Why do you think that?" His tone was light with humour, but there was also something unfamiliar in it.

She sighed, figuring there was no point in not being honest with him. "You saved me."

"Did I?"

"You followed us and got us out of that fight before we all died. I don't know what happened to us. It was like everyone got the flu all at once."

"It was the iron."

Niamh pulled her arm off her eyes and looked at him. He wasn't looking at her. "The what?"

"The iron."

"What iron?"

"The iron Ironbridge is named for. It is anathema to faery-kind. You, your mother, you can handle it because of the human blood in your veins. That stuff has been pumping iron around your system since you were born-"

"Wait...?"

"What?" She heard the smile in his voice without having to see it.

"How many fae women give birth to half-breeds, as you so lovingly call them?"

"I could not tell you. Why?"

"Well, if iron is anathema to fae and assuming you're reproductive systems work the same as humans which is why we can...reproduce together. Then the fae mother would get the iron in her system from the baby... Surely that doesn't work? Oh my God, are part-fae offspring barren? Like a mule or a lyger?"

"What is a...? I am really not qualified to answer either of those questions..." He seemed to stumble, uncertainty marring his usually know-it-all voice.

"Never mind. You were telling me about Ironbridge?"

"There is really not that much more to tell you. Dwendardien escaped, you encountered him. The fiann was weakened because of the iron. Dwendardien's troops were insane because of the iron. The fiann did poorly and my fiann pulled you out before there was much lasting damage." The way he said the last two words made Niamh's hair prickle at the back of her neck and her stomach drop.

"What does that mean?"

Eamon rubbed his neck. Niamh put her hand on his knee, worried about what he was going to say.

"Eamon, who is it?" Niamh whispered, dread clutching her heart, picturing Lochlan lying dead on the forest path.

"What?" he started. "No, you just might have some trouble with your leg. The rest of your fiann, while weak, will all make a full recovery."

Niamh sighed in relief and she saw respect in Eamon's eyes.

"What?" it was her turn to ask.

"I am impressed with your loyalty to your fiann. You put them above your own safety. I should not have told you to use your magic. Dunne told me you had already used it."

Niamh's hand was still on his knee and she gave him what she hoped was an encouraging squeeze. "As you said, I would do anything for my fiann. When you called, I knew that was the best thing for them."

He smiled at her, seemingly happy to sit in silence for a while.

Niamh felt a sudden urge to see what was wrong with her leg though. So, she pulled the blankets back.

"What are you doing?"

"Checking out my... Bloody... No pants again?" she grumbled, seeing she wore only underpants and a white bandage around her leg.

She looked at Eamon, waiting for him to explain what was wrong with it, but she saw he was not looking at her.

"It's just a leg, man. I'm sure you've seen worse."

He got up, still looking away. "We may have had...our moments, O'Callaghan, but I do not intend to put myself in a position which could leave me open to your accusations of impropriety..."

"I'm sorry... What? You make it sound like I'm naked under here." She looked down, wondering why he'd be so squeamish about a bandaged leg. She'd seen him do and receive much worse in training.

He rounded on her, his eyes large and questioning. "You are not?"

"No..." She looked at him quizzically. "See, underpants..."

He nodded slowly, sitting on the very edge of the bed. "Yes...underpants..."

"What is it with you fae and underwear? I mean, really! Myrna doesn't pack it. Fidelma doesn't stock it. I'm just glad I have no need for armoured underwear or I wouldn't be able to get any new ones. Those brownies haven't returned a single pair of underpants or a bra..." She petered off as she saw his face. "Am I missing something?"

Eamon cleared his throat, but he seemed to be hiding a laugh. After a while, he couldn't hide it any longer. "Sidhe do not wear underwear, Niamh."

"No wonder it's so easy for you to screw women in the corridors..." she said, but she smiled.

Eamon's laughter stopped short at her words and he turned back to her. "What?"

"Oh, God. Don't pretend you don't. Not with me." She gave him a withering stare and he had the good graces to look somewhat chastened.

"I suppose it does make access easier..."

"Oh, gross! I do not need a play-by-play, man."

"A what?"

"Details, Eamon. I don't need details." She shuddered. "Just, tell me about my leg." She pulled it awkwardly out of the covers and closer to him, wincing as the skin stretched.

He touched the bandage softly, sending sparks into her stomach. Although, if she was honest, they landed a little lower than that...

"You were stung by an insect of Dwendardien's creation. Its purpose is to paralyse and poison its victim, making it easier for Dwendardien to dispatch. That you kept standing so long is a miracle in itself, that your body fought off the poison is another. I strongly advocated healing you, but my father would not hear of it. It seems he had more faith in you than I did." He sounded as though he regretted that.

"I like to think you were just worried about me," Niamh replied, touching the bandage. Perhaps it wasn't all a dream... she thought.

Eamon looked up sharply. "Surely, that would require me to have feelings..." He touched his face almost absently. "Not that I would actually realise if they were smacking me in the face with my own...dick...?"

She laughed and he smiled, placing his hand over hers on her leg.

He was sitting almost unbearably close to her. She could feel the tension between them; it was a palpable thing that throbbed with its own pulse. She reached up and ran her finger along his jaw. He looked up, into her eyes. His eyes sparkled with mischief and intelligence, making her smile more.

"You might limp a bit for a while. Just until the swelling subsides and the poison is fully out of your system." He licked his lip as his eyes searched hers for something.

Not sure what she'd want him to find, she dropped her face and her hand. Just as quickly, his hand was under her chin, tilting her head towards him. He kissed her quickly, sending tingles through her, then drew away and rested his forehead to hers.

"Why?" she asked, though did not mean to ask it aloud.

He pulled away. "Why what?"

She sighed, figuring she had nothing to lose by voicing her thoughts. "Why are you...you?"

He grinned lopsidedly. "I could ask you the same question."

"Eamon..." Niamh started, and then stopped. He waited for her to continue, but she couldn't bring herself to say the words out loud. She couldn't risk bringing up emotions. Not with him anyway. Killian maybe, but not Eamon. "Thank you for coming. Thank you for saving...us."

He made a somewhat strangled noise, deep in his throat, and laughed. "You forget my advice, O'Callaghan," he said, his voice thick. "In the old days, we always took a 'thank you' as an indenture. You could owe me many times over by now."

Part of her had forgotten. Another part of her just didn't know how else to express her feelings to him. "After this last one, I think I could live with that. I do owe you my life, Eamon. I will always know you have a better side, even if you choose to ignore it."

He smiled, somewhat serious. "Thank you." It seemed to cost him an effort, but it wasn't conveyed in his voice.

"Am I to take it that you owe me now?" She nudged him.

He laughed. "If you would like."

There was too much in his face, so she wriggled out of bed. He jumped up to give her more space. Niamh stood up but, as soon as she put any weight on her injured leg, it gave out. She grunted and fell against Eamon. His arms were there before she knew she needed them. He caught her against him gently.

"I need some pants," she muttered.

She felt rather than heard him chuckle.

"Mind you, Lochlan wouldn't be surprised," Niamh continued.

"Are you often without pants in his presence?" Eamon asked, sounding surprised.

Niamh laughed shortly, thinking of all the times he'd seen her in just her underwear. "Actually, yes." She looked at him and saw confusion written on his face. "It's not as bad as it sounds."

"Were you lovers?"

"Ew! No!" Niamh scoffed.

"The thought repulses you? I thought you two were close?"

"What makes you say we're close?" she asked, wondering what he had heard.

He shrugged, still holding her up. "I have seen the two of you together. You are very physical for two people who were not...involved..." He smiled wryly and she liked the look she saw in his eyes; it was pleasant, still a touch of conceit, but mainly just humour and wit.

Niamh snorted. "He's like a brother to me. I don't think we could be lovers, no matter how hard we tried."

"You have never thought about it?"

Niamh looked at him as though he had grown two heads. "I did just then, and it was gross."

He shrugged again, as though it didn't matter to him either way. "Are you ready to stand on your own?"

"We'll have to see," she said.

He let her go slowly, his hands still out in case she fell. She took a tentative step forward, now knowing more of what to expect. Pain lanced down her leg as she put weight on it. But, she grimaced against the outcry and hopped forward as best she could. Eamon's hand rested under her elbow gently.

"I think I'm good," she said, breathing through the pain.

He nodded and moved his hand away, but it hovered under her arm. She was almost pleased Eamon was here. Lochlan would have just left her to walk around on her own while he laughed at her and Killian wouldn't have even let go of her.

She took another step forward. This time, she put too much weight on her leg and she fell against him again, swearing like a sailor.

"It will take some getting used to. You have been off your feet for nearly three weeks," he said softly.

"What?" Niamh pushed off him, and swore when she put her weight on her leg. "Dammit. What do you mean three weeks?" She shuffled back to the bed and sat down, wincing as her wound tightened and stretched.

"It has been nearly three weeks since my fiann brought you back to Elfhaven."

"How long before that did I face Dwendardien?"

A look of guilt flashed over his features, but not fast enough and she caught it.

"Eamon, what did you do?" she asked.

He rubbed his neck again, looking down at her. "We brought you back to Elfhaven the night you faced him."

"What? How? It took us nearly two weeks to find him! Is there some other easier way of travel I just haven't heard about yet?"

He shook his head. "Not really. My father has the power to transport someone anywhere instantaneously. It drains him immeasurably. The more people, the more draining. His blood can call upon the power, but it is forbidden to do so unless it is a dire circumstance and the king has given his permission..." he trailed off, took a deep breath and continued. "I called upon it to bring you and our fianna back here."

"Your dad must be pissed," Niamh said, pretending she didn't feel chuffed that he'd broken his father's rules to save her.

Eamon smiled, but his eyes were still dull. "Yes, you could say Father is...pissed. It was the second rule I broke that night, and, needless to say, it will be the last for a long time."

"What was the first?" Niamh asked.

"Going after you in the first place," he said, sounding distracted.

"So, you did come for me?"

He looked up at her, his eyes shining mischievously and she could not help but snort as she realised what she had implied.

"I could." He winked.

She thumped him, but her smile fell a little. "None of that, Eamon," she told him, a tumult of emotions warring inside her.

Just because Eamon had brought his fiann after her and broken his father's laws, did not make him an entirely decent human being.

That's exactly the problem, she scoffed to herself. He's not human.

It made Niamh wonder how much of Eamon's mentality Killian might be holding back from her. She was starting to realise she'd never have what she'd grown up believing was a normal relationship if she was with a Sidhe. Niamh wondered how much that mattered to her. She'd never been aware that she wanted the white wedding, the picket fence, the dog and 2.5 children, or whatever was the 'norm'. But realising that, with an extended lifespan and likely a Sidhe partner – whoever it was – she'd never have those things. Sure, Myrna had told her about leanan, but even that didn't seem to be expected to last forever.

Mind you, not all human relationships last forever either... she thought.

She looked at Eamon and wondered whether she'd have the attention span to be with anyone literally forever. Suddenly, she thought she saw the sense in the way Sidhe played out their relationships. The idea of the rest of your life with someone didn't seem so bad when the rest of your life was seventy-odd years... But, when it could be thousands...? That seemed like another matter entirely.

"Niamh, does it hurt?"

"What?" she asked, looking back at him.

"You have gone white. Are you all right?"

She laughed, but it sounded hollow to her ears. "Just realising that this faery business changes a lot." He looked at her quizzically, but she waved her hand. "Never mind."

"Lady Niamh?"

"Pearse, what have I told you?" she sighed, wondering when he had returned.

"O'Callaghan," Pearse said hurriedly, and Niamh saw Eamon's eyes laughing.

"What is it?" she asked, turning to Pearse, who hovered in the door.

"If you are able, the king wishes to see you."

She nodded. "Right you are. In his hall?" Pearse nodded. "Okay."

She stood up, clothing herself as she went.

"O'Callaghan..." Pearse started.

Niamh held up a hand. "Pearse, I hurt, I'm dirty, I want to curl up in a ball and hide from the world... The king can deal with me in my tracksuit pants." She straightened as best she could, holding her head high.

Pearse looked at her, respect shining in his eyes. Niamh doubted he respected her insubordination to the king, but he obviously saw something in her to elicit such a response.

"Do you need help?" Pearse asked.

"No, I can do it on my own. Though, I may be slow. Please tell the king I'll be there when I get there."

Pearse's mouth twitched. "Very well." She had the distinct feeling he probably wanted to either say something else, or wanted to not be the one to give the king that message, but he just smiled and left.

"May I walk with you?" Eamon asked.

"If you can physically walk that slowly, feel free," Niamh responded, hobbling forward.

She could barely put any weight on her leg and more than five paces from her bed took what felt forever. She looked up and the door seemed very far away.

"Screw this," she muttered, conjuring a walking stick that was encased in vines and ladybirds.

The cane made her progress slightly quicker. Though, really, all it did was enable her to move better on her own. She paused at her door; her leg throbbed and sweat beaded on her forehead. Eamon made no comment, merely held the door open, waited until she was ready, and silently closed it behind them. Niamh was again glad of his stoic presence by her side; at once a comfort and support, but not smothering her. She had the feeling Killian would fawn over her much more and she found herself pleased he was not here right now. And Lochlan would be worse than useless.

Sidhe bowed their heads as they passed, watching her progress with a strange reverence. Niamh looked to Eamon but he merely indicated she keep moving.

Eventually, they arrived at King Aeveen's hall. He sat upon his golden throne, the only one in the hall. He seemed deep in thought and didn't notice them until they were at the edge of the dais.

"Eamon." The king looked startled, but composed himself quickly. "Good that you are here, too." He looked at Niamh. "Lady, my thanks for seeing me."

"I hear that once meant you were in my debt," Niamh said before she could stop herself.

A slight shadow of a smile briefly lit up the king's face. "That it would. You are learning our ways quickly."

"Not quickly enough," she said, thinking of the two Sidhe who plagued her thoughts.

"Pardon?"

"Never mind, your highness. Why did you want to see me?"

"Two reasons, Lady Niamh." His face clouded. "The first is to reprimand you for not only leaving the sanctuary of Elfhaven and my protection, but for leaving without your King's sanction."

Niamh would have sweated and shaken at his words, but she was already doing that with the effort of standing on her injured leg. She looked away from him, hoping he would not notice the grimace of pain on her face and mistake it for irreverence.

He continued, "The second is to congratulate you." Her head flew up and she saw the shadow of a smile again. "None of the Sidhe, in many years, have had the courage to seek out Dwendardien, and certainly not for any other reason than it benefitted the tuatha as a whole."

"I was only doing as my fiann leader commanded," Niamh said, not sure if she was shifting the blame to Killian, or hoping he'd get some of the credit.

The corner of Aeveen's mouth rose in the slightest smile, and he looked to Eamon. "You were right, my son."

"That I was," Eamon said quietly from behind Niamh's left shoulder.

"Right about what?" Niamh asked.

"My son here tells me that you are an exceptional young woman, Lady Niamh." Aeveen placed his fingertips together under his chin. "Loyal to a fault, an excellent fighter, modest, and surprisingly resilient given the human blood in your veins."

Niamh's eyes narrowed. "Some would say that blood recently stood me in good stead. It was an advantage my fiann didn't have."

Aeveen inclined his head in acquiescence. "That it did. On this occasion. You do not take a compliment well, do you, Lady Niamh?"

"Not when it can be viewed as a thinly veiled insult, your highness, no."

She heard Eamon's indrawn breath and Aeveen's eyes glistened. For a moment, she thought he was going to smite her where she stood, but he broke out in a wide smile. "I will forgive you for your brazen speech this time, Lady Niamh, for it amuses me and you are clearly in pain. Be mindful that, the next time, I may not be in such a forgiving mood."

Niamh bowed her head. "Is there anything else, sire?"

"Yes, for all that I admire your bravery, you must be punished for your disobedience."

Niamh sighed, resigning herself to the worst. She'd already been pulled from her life, what else could the Sidhe throw at her?

"Go on then, what is it?" she said, leaning more heavily on her cane. She felt Eamon shift behind her as though he sensed her discomfort, but he didn't touch her.

"I considered many options. Stripping your title. Marrying you to one of my sons." Niamh hoped neither he nor Eamon noticed her tense at those words. "Forcing you to break your oath to your fiann. However, taking into account your motivation and bravery, I have decided merely that your fiann will take the night watch at the western gate."

"Is that all?" Niamh asked, wishing her brain had a better censor on her mouth.

Aeveen's smile was less than jovial now. "You may not be saying that after tonight." She waited to see if he had anything more to say to her. "You may leave now, Lady Niamh. Eamon, a word."

Niamh started hobbling out. Eamon stopped her with a slight touch to her arm. "I will find you later," he whispered. She nodded her understanding, but her mind was on finding her fiann and breaking the news.

She shuffled towards Lochlan's room. Her fiann were all housed in the same corridor and she found her way there relatively easily, if a lot slower than usual. She knocked on Lochlan's door.

"Yeah?" she heard him call out.

She opened the door and limped inside.

"By Danu, Niamh!" she heard, then was pulled off her feet as he embraced her tightly. "When did you wake?"

"Ugh, not long ago. The king wanted to see me."

He let her down and looked at her. "Should you be up and about with that leg?" he asked, eyeing her cane meaningfully.

She shrugged. "It's a moot point. Aeveen's put us on night watch on the western gate."

She saw Lochlan's face drain of any colour his already pale skin held. "What?"

"It's our punishment apparently."

"And we start tonight?"

She nodded and he whistled an exhaled breath.

"Can you fit in some training with me this afternoon?" she asked.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" he pointed to her leg.

"Another moot point. I need to see how much movement I have. It sounds like we might come up against some nasties?"

Lochlan nodded. "You don't know the half of it. Goblins, Bogeys... They all come from that direction and launch skirmishes against us almost every night. Night watch on the western gate is the most hated job in the whole city. It is tedious - boring on a good night - with the added fun of having to fight off insane Unseelie wights constantly." He sighed. "You really want to train?" She nodded. "All right. Shall we go now?"

"If you're not busy?"

"Not at all. Do you want your sword or anything?"

She shook her head. "No. I think just hand-to-hand for the moment. I'll work my way up."

He nodded. "Good idea. Come on, let's go."

Niamh started limping to his door and he snickered. "Shut up, Dunne," she grumbled.

"I'm sorry, but you do look a right sorry sight," he chortled, not sounding very sorry at all.

She smacked him with her cane and he yelled.

"Well, at the very least, you can use that as a weapon." He snickered again and she whacked him again.

But, she was pleased that he'd acted in just the way she'd expected, and it lifted her spirits somewhat. If there was one good, consistent thing in her life now, it was Lochlan. She would do anything to keep him. And, she was quite sure the feeling was mutual. He smiled as he held the door open for her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45 1 6
[INCOMPLETE] Rowan is a creature of great misunderstanding. In a world full of Mythical beings, his kind, the Anadin, are heavily hated by the whole...
473K 23.4K 65
"Do you remember calling me 'mate?'" he asked softly, pushing her wild curls away from her face. She blushed deeply, but he wouldn't let her look awa...
2K 1.1K 33
Sammy has been feeling a bit left behind in life so her wish is granted when she is discovered to be a faerie princess and she has a long lost lover ...
14.4K 1.9K 49
Even teen evil queens need love. Right? (Or at least a handsome sword-fighting minion to do their bidding!) *** Bad things happen when Rowen is aroun...