Up in the Stars

By sapphox

Enid is moving across the world to attend university. Away from all that she knows, she soon finds herself a... More

Introduction
Beginning
Goodbyes
A New Home
Encounters
A Universe Tilts
And Another
Crescendo
History
Break, Repair
Up and Up Again
Field of Propositions
Sublime
Tempo
Burn
Found
Ensemble
Taken Care Of
Golden
Fire
A New Normal
Breathless
Touch
Enigma
Answers
Missing
Reassurance
Piano Keys
Lies and Truths
Plans
Icy
Disobedience
Between the Shelves
Cold Men
Awaken
Reconstruction
Dwelling
Morning
Creation
Fiction
Scar
Barren Field
Screens
Heat
Fall
Arrival
Cacophony
Just in Case
Sharp
Yield
Off the Beaten Path
Trouble
Hallow
Stolen Moments
Alert
Deceit
Horror
Fading
Devastation
Body and Soul
Paroxysm
Tenacity
Subjugation
Zenith
Sunder
Static
Peachy
Molten
Shutter
Tethered
King, Devil, Angel
Life and Death
Eternity
Epilogue
Thank You / Vignettes
Beneath the Surface

Checkmate

162K 5.2K 1.7K
By sapphox

Heigh ho, heigh ho, back to the story we go!

Hope you all enjoy!

✺     ✺     ✺

His fingers tapped against the dark wood of his desk mindlessly.

Midnight eyes on the evening sky outside the wide window.

He glances down at the gold watch on his wrist.

One minute.

A knock at the door sounds and finally he smiles.

He gets up to open it with more excitement than he's felt in weeks.

She's here.

His little nymph is dressed in a soft green dress, the hem just brushing the tops of her knees.

"I've missed you." She says as he greets her.

His heart thrums between his ribs.

Beating out the sound of her name.

Enid. Enid. Enid.

Theodore's lips quirk up as he turns back to face her.

He pulls her into his embrace, nearly squeezing her too tight.

They stand there for a few moments, breathing each other in.

He feels like a man who has been starved.

Enid tilts her head back to look at him.

She takes in his appearance with a focused eye.

It's been quite a while since she's been alone with him after all.

He still looked tired, but a little less stressed.

The bags under his sapphire eyes less heavy.

A shadow of hair stretched along his jaw due to not shaving for a few days.

He looked like the night sky.

Dark and ever reaching.

"I missed you, too, darling." He tucks a wayward curl behind her ear.

His fingers brushing along her cheekbone before he pulled away reluctantly.

A question was on the tip of her tongue.

Where had he been?

She'd barely seen him the past week.

Most days it was only briefly at breakfast with quick kiss brushed against her lips before he was off.

Sometimes she'd hear him at night, watch the light outside her bedroom door flicker on at three in the morning.

She swallows the question down.

If he wanted her to know, he'd tell her.

Instead, she asks:

"What are we doing?" Her curiosity is practically tangible.

"Well, Alex and Dante are working with you on your physical safety. It's my job to help prepare you mentally for any difficult situations you might face. Hopefully you never will, but it's better to be safe than sorry." He pulls out a chair for her before crossing to the other side of his dark oak desk.

Enid's teeth tugged on her bottom lip.

His eyes dropped to watch and darkened.

He cleared his throat and ran a hand through his hair.

Her wide, innocent eyes take in the chess board set on the desk between them.

The board is painted with charcoal and silver shades.

The pieces made of glass.

She glances back up at him with a question in her eyes.

Theodore answers before she can ask.

"Life is a lot like a game of chess. Strategy, planning, preparation. Learning to play will help you in many situations in life." His words spark her interest.

"I haven't played chess in a few years. The last time was probably with my father when I was thirteen. I don't remember it well." Enid bites her lip, memories brushing against her mind.

"No worries. I'm happy to teach you it again." He assures her, leaning forward in his seat.

The soft light of the setting sun stretches across his carved cheekbones, his eyes like crystals as they reflect it.

She can't help but stare for a moment.

His dark hair neat, his glasses perched purposefully on his straight nose.

Her eyes trail down his stubbled cheek, over the sharp edge of his jaw.

A short cough snaps her out of it and she finds his eyes twinkling with amusement.

Enid blushes rosily.

"Sorry." She gives him a bashful smile.

It wasn't her fault he was distractingly handsome.

"You're welcome to stare all you want, darling. I think we should get started with our lesson." He gestures toward the board and she sits up straighter.

Paints a focused look onto her face.

He starts with explaining the pieces and then the rules and for the first few rounds he beats her in under ten moves.

She refuses to give up, though, and begins to study his technique.

Aggressive, yet protective.

By their twelfth round, she's putting up a decent fight.

"Okay, now that you have the hang of this, it's time for your first lesson. A good poker face is vital in many situations. Your face is often quite an open book. While I find this endearing, there may be times in which it would be in your best interest to keep your thoughts and feelings a secret from whomever you are dealing with." Theodore knocks her pawn over with his knight.

Her eyes dance across the board, searching for her next move.

"How do I hide the emotions on my face?" She asks, flickering up to glance at him.

The blue and the green her eyes swirling, swirling.

Curiosity dancing as her long lashes blink.

"Imagine that you're building a wall between your thoughts and the outside world. You have to monitor your expressions and where your eyes glance to. For example, I know you're about to take my pawn with your knight because you've been staring at those two pieces." He grins as her mouth falls open.

"You can read minds!" She accuses, half-playful and half-serious.

"No, darling. But I can read you. Others will have a harder time doing so, but an attentive watcher would have caught that as well. Pretend you've put on a mask. An impenetrable mask." She tries to do as he says.

She knows what he means because she's seen him do it.

He wears his mask often, it only seemed to slip away fully when they were alone.

Cracks would appear as she made him smile or laugh.

Enid loved peeling it back and seeing the real him.

With his mask in mind, she does her best to emulate.

She builds a wall in her mind, her eyes blanking from their usual expressiveness.

Cold and empty like his were as he spoke to the dean.

Her features shutter and close.

"Good. Very good. You don't have to do it all the time, but I'd recommend it when you're in company that you don't feel comfortable with." He applauds her and she grins.

They play two more rounds, her mind half on the game and half on his teachings.

He fills her with more lessons as they play, and she comes closer and closer to beating him.

"We'll cover one more thing before we're done today. Lying. It isn't definite, but there are sometimes ways to tell if someone is lying to you." He moves his rook toward her king.

Enid pulls her piece back, changing tactics.

"Eyes are an important thing to watch. Many people glance away when lying or they may try to maintain constant eye contact to cover it up. You should also be aware of their hands. They may twitch or fiddle when lying. Most people have unique ticks, but those are harder to notice as they are singular to that individual. Someone must lie to you relatively frequently in order for you to pick it up." He explains, shifting one of his bishops.

"What's your tick?" She asks, her eyes on the board.

She leans forward, the collar of her dress falling slightly so Theodore can see the top of her cleavage.

He swallows, quickly makes a move without studying the board closely.

"You'll have to watch me and see if you can find out." There's a teasing quality to his voice.

Enid giggles softly as she moves her knight in position and suddenly, he is checkmated.

His eyebrows raise, pride and surprise lighting his eyes.

"Well done, Enid. You're the first person to beat me in years." He shakes his head in astonishment.

"I was trying out distraction methods like you said." Enid grins mischievously.

His head tilts back as he chuckles, deep and warm.

"You little minx." He motions her to come around the desk and pulls her into his lap.

He presses kisses down the side of her neck, his aristocratic nose skimming and leaving a trail of goosebumps along the way.

"There's one more thing I wanted to mention to you. Halloween is next week and each year we throw a masquerade party here at the estate for our business partners and a few friends. Is that alright with you?" Theodore abandons her neck to look at her seriously.

Enid's mind goes over the words twice before she comprehends them.

She's still wound up and foggy from his earlier ministrations.

"Yes, of course. That sounds fun!" She smiles at him excitedly.

And then she presses her lips to his.

✺     ✺     ✺

I know he's frequently used on Wattpad, but David Gandy is just too handsome. 

Hope you enjoyed some Theodore/Enid time.

We've got lots of time with the four of them coming up soon!

Comments fill my heart with joy.

All my love,

Sappho ✺

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13K 165 18
18 year old Emily and her mom moves to a new city. She has to face new challenges by finding new friends, going to a new school and finding a job. A...
86.5K 4.4K 44
π™π™€π˜Όπ˜Ύπ™ƒπ™€π™ 𝙭 π™Žπ™π™π˜Ώπ™€π™‰π™ π™π™Šπ™ˆπ˜Όπ™‰π˜Ύπ™€ I have seen/read many stories where a student is crazy in love with her professor.. but what happens...
128K 4K 18
24 year old Claudia Longo is a kindergarten teacher. Although she deals with social anxiety, she's found out teaching kids helps her cope with it. It...