The Purple Children (Book 1 o...

By AldrineFualo

Lavander knows she's not normal; she can move things with her mind, she can make a pencil her weapon, she can... More

Chapter 1: Last Day
Chapter 2: The Letter
Chapter 3: My Death
Chapter 4: The Picture
Chapter 5: Revelations
Chapter 6: Home
Chapter 7: Moms
Chapter 8: Memories
Chapter 9: Running Enzo
Chapter 10: Fingertips
Chapter 11: Agnus Fray
Chapter 12: Revolvers
Chapter 13: Anger
Chapter 15: A Long Drive
Chapter 16: The Waitress with dyed red hair
Chapter 17: Shape Shifting Athena
Chapter 18: Nancy's Story
Chapter 19: Transaction with a Cowboy Guy
Chapter 20: The Battle
Chapter 21: Coated with Valour
Author's Note (Important, Please Read)
Coated with Valour Preview
Prologue (Proposed prologue for the revised Purple Children)
Blazing with Fire

Chapter 14: Invisible Nancy

6.8K 115 14
By AldrineFualo

Chapter 14:  Invisible Nancy

Enzo quickly checked for any broken bones on Nancy, so far there were none, so he decided it was okay to carry her to the car. We were moving fast, those men with tattoos might be just near and we know that they won’t let Nancy get away that easily. Enzo carried Nancy while Bryce and I lead the way. Devin was on our back being our watch, he was securing that we weren’t followed.

We made it safely to the car. No trace that we were followed. We placed Nancy gently at the backseat. She was starting to move, little by little. Enzo told her not to. She was mumbling something, something about getting help maybe. She was too weak that she didn’t know she was being rescued. I can see her pinky was bandaged. I remembered the letter delivered to me last night. Poor girl lost her pinky.

Devin took the wheel this time. Enzo was at the backseat with Nancy. He was holding her hand for comfort. To my surprise I was also at the back seat with the both of them. I was too concerned for Nancy to let some emotion out.

“Stay with me Nancy, it’s going to be okay now.” I said. I used some of y persuasive voice ability in there, hoping she wouldn’t die on us all of a sudden.

“No more monsters here Nancy, you are safe, I’m here.” Enzo comforted her. His words were so sincere that I even felt safe, he couldn’t have a persuasive voice as well. He doesn’t possess such ability. There was the word safe though, oh the irony, even if she was free, was she totally safe? Were we totally safe?

“Where too?” asked Devin when we reached an intersection. We didn’t notice we were driving in a straight road since we’ve rescued Nancy. I looked at Enzo, clearly he’s the man of the hour. I looked at him for leadership.

“We need to go to a hospital, she needs help.” Enzo said. The hospital wasn’t the brightest choice to choose, I thought to myself. I know he knew that too, but he was too concerned for Nancy’s condition to think properly.

“We can’t go to a hospital, it’s too risky, we can’t go anywhere publicly, and beside there will be a lot of questioning regarding her condition right now.” Bryce said. At least he had the courage to speak up like that. I can’t say that in front of Enzo, especially in front of Nancy.

Enzo fell silent for a while, we were still at the intersection, waiting for his response, “Then where do you reckon we go?” Enzo said willingly. He gets it why we can’t go to a hospital, it was too risky. It’s a good thing he took Bryce’s advice willingly.

“I suggest we go to the nearest inn we can find, I do agree that she needs some medical attention, and I think we can provide that for her.” Bryce suggested. Enzo just nodded in agreement. Nancy was his priority right now but Enzo also knew that he can’t jeopardize our identities; especially we were now wanted by those men with tattoos.

Devin asked for directions from a man walking by for the nearest inn, so far the nearest was a 30 minute drive, long enough for us to discuss the back story for Nancy’s condition. We assumed that we cannot avoid conversation regarding Nancy and what happened to her. It was safe enough just to think of a story.

The story we made up for was – she was my cousin from the UK who got drunk in a party, fell to the ground and got all her clothes dirty, her pinky was punctured by a nearby nail causing it to bleed excessively. I thought it was a very believable story just looking at her.

“Don’t worry Enzo, Nancy won’t die today, at least not in that way. The five will die in the hands of those men with tattoos, while the others will live to tell the story in Mirrston.” Bryce explained. Enzo gave me that ‘huh’ look, but I think he was giving me that ‘what is he talking about’ look. I just said ‘later’ in a silent way. I remembered that Enzo wasn’t there when Bryce had his big revelation.

“We’re here.” Devin said in relief. There was no time to acknowledge how beautiful the inn was, complete with fountains and a lot of ornaments. It was so stunning that it looked like it came out of a Hollywood film.

Devin and Bryce went to the main office to acquire some room while Enzo and I were left in the car watching over Nancy. We didn’t dare speak to one another, nor look at each other. I looked away, staring at my window admiring the beauty of the building while Enzo cater to Nancy’s need. Clearly she was still thinking that she was captive. She keeps on saying, let me go or I just want to go home, her voice was soft and small, you could barely hear her. I do pity her right now rather that envy her.

Devin and Bryce came back with our key. Good thing it was on the first floor, we wouldn’t need to worry the stairs part. We only unload a couple of stuff like a few clothes and some personal stuff since we do not want to stay here for more than a day. We might just stay here for as long as Nancy is feeling a little better to move to the next inn or motel will be at. We need to be on the move constantly to avoid danger.

We lay Nancy in the bed. She was scourging with fever, she was heating up than anyone else I’ve met with a fever. Maybe the hospital wasn’t a bad idea given her state right now. I sent Devin and Bryce to get some medicine, which might turned out as not so great idea since I will be left with Enzo alone with a sleeping girl with a fever.

Both Devin and Bryce left taking the car with them. I couldn’t stay here, I was socially awkward right now, “She needs to eat first, see if you can wake her up without scaring her. I’ll go make up some noodles.” I said, and then left them both alone; I went to the stove and boiled up some water, we have instant noodles so cooking won’t be a problem. I stared at the water as it slowly form bubbles on the bottom of the pan. I dipped the tip of my index finger just to see if I can still feel pain, it wasn’t hot enough, but it managed to turn my finger red. I still can feel pain. I let it regenerate and watched as the water started to boil.

I heard screaming, and quickly turned around. Enzo managed to wake Nancy up, but he didn’t manage not to scare her. Enzo was trying his best to calm her down. But after spending days in prison and a lot of torture, it might be hard for her to regain some trust. Enzo ordered me to get out of the room. I guess maybe Nancy will be easier if she was only with him. I turned the stove off and quickly went outside.

The screaming did not bother anybody. Nobody went outside to check out what was happening. I don’t know if it was a good thing or a bad thing; it’s a good thing because we won’t need to have physical contact with anybody and avoid conversations regarding what’s happening with a girl in pure white screaming in a middle of a perfect day. It was a bad thing since I can guess that security wasn’t their top priority.

Nancy’s screaming lessened; I guess Enzo managed to calm her down. I waited outside the door patiently, I’m too afraid to open the door since it might add up to Nancy’s trauma state. I waited outside, waited for Nancy to stop screaming and waited for Devin and Bryce to come back.

It took Enzo around 20 minutes to calm Nancy down. He said it was safe for me to go inside now, but as soon as I was inside, Nancy gripped her hands in my appearance. I guess she was still scared of me. Enzo explained that I was a friend and not a foe, she calmed down but she locked her eyes in me. I started boiling the water once again and made some noodles. I asked Enzo to feed her, since it will be better that way.

I went outside to give them some reunion time. I don’t have my phone so I had nothing to play with, I just sat there levitating a rock and keeping a lookout.

Devin and Bryce came back a few more minutes later, they explained that the pharmacy was farther than they expected, they have some ibuprofen and some other stuff. I told them to wait while I warn Enzo about their return.

A few minutes later Enzo told them it was okay to enter, Nancy was calmer to their presence, this time she was resting, but still awake. We gave her the pill and she willingly took it. She finally managed to get some sleep. Nancy looked really exhausted from everything.

Bryce crept closer to Nancy, “How is she doing?” Bryce asked in a soft voice. He didn’t want to disturb Nancy in her sleep. He was thoughtful that way.

“She’s fine, doing better, she’s holding on.” Enzo assured him. He was now Nancy’s personal nurse since none of dare to go near her while she was awake. I remembered Enzo told me she was great with knives. She doesn’t look fierce or violent, actually she looked very fragile and sensitive.

“I’ll just wait outside.” Bryce said. He gestured me and Devin to follow him giving Enzo and Nancy some more private time together.

“Lavander, can you please stay.” Enzo said to me as I am to exit. My heart stopped, what now? I looked at him, feeling red. My cheeks started to burn, I hope he doesn’t notice that I was blushing.

“Can you give her a sponge bath, your both girls anyway.” Enzo said to me. I felt a relief that it wasn’t something about what happened this morning.

“Oh sure...” I said back. I hope Nancy won’t feel uncomfortable since I felt uncomfortable when my mom gives me one, and a stranger will give her one.

“I’ll stay outside. I don’t want to look like I am peeking.” Enzo said and followed Devin and Bryce outside leaving me and Nancy alone. She looked pale but she still had some faint glow on her face. Her lips were thin and her hair had vibrant curls but damaged from the weeks in prison.

I prepared some lukewarm water and started bathing her with a clean rug, she was awakened by my movements but she didn’t mind them. Her fever started going down, I do not know if it was the medicine or if it was because she was a purple.

“Who are you?” Nancy asked, she was feeling better basing from the sound of her voice. No more fear just some weakness.

“My name is Lavander, it’s nice to meet you Nancy.” I smiled warmly at her while I rub her feet. She managed a faint smile.

“Lavander, like the flower?” Nancy asked. She was sweet, she compared my name to a flower, even though I always thought it was named after the color, or recently it was because of the Purple children, either way, I do not trouble myself thinking about.

“Well, yeah... I think so, but with a different spelling.” I replied. She didn’t talk for a while. She was quiet while I rubbed her down in her knees.

I asked if she can lie on her tummy so I can rub her back. She willingly do so, but as soon as she turned she felt a striking pain on her abdomen which made her squeal. Enzo, Devin and Bryce came running in to check what the commotion was all about.

“What’s wrong?” Enzo rushed to Nancy’s aid. She took some deep breath, she was holding her stomach. It might be the cause of her squealing.

I unfolded Nancys shirt revealing a bandaged on her abdomen, it covered her whole tummy reaching her back. What have they done to her? The bandage was new, so it means her wounds were fresh, we didn’t want to reveal what was inside, she might get an infection of some sort.

“What’s in there Nancy?” I asked, but Nancy froze, she was looking at the ceiling, her face was pale white and as if she has seen a ghost. She weakly pointed her fingers upward. All of us slowly tilted our heads upwards. We were as shocked as Nancy was. A face was peeking on the ceiling, blinking and staring at us. As soon as she realized that we were looking at her she quickly vanished, the ceiling returned to its concrete manner.

Devin and I ran outside to check the room above us, but it was too late, I can hear someone running at the back. Devin and I ran to catch that person, she wasn’t much of a runner, and we easily caught up to her. Devin ran faster so he was able to catch her. Devin tackled her to the ground. I ran to Devin as he pinned the stranger to the ground. She tried to break lose but Devin’s grip was very tight.

I did a quick examination of her. She was thin with very long legs like what a model should have. She was wearing purple track suit and her red hair was in a ponytail. She was wearing too much make up on for her outfit.

“Who are you?” Devin asked her. She smiled back and started sinking to the ground; Devin lost his grip on her, right in front of his eyes. Devin tried to touch the girl’s body but it would just pass through it.  I saw that too. At that moment we knew, we just found another purple. 

....................................................................................................................................

I would love to hear your thoughts, so please comment

If you love this chapter, please vote

If you would like to be updated, please put it in your reading list or fan me

thanks for all the support, it literally does mean a lot to me

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.5K 998 26
Alexia Lambre had never been a truly 'normal' girl, because she had always had the added 'bonus' of telekinesis. At least, some might call it a bon...
342 59 52
WATTPAD VERSION *** The stakes are higher than ever In the five years since the battle against Nephthys, peace has reigned on the God Worlds as their...
48.2K 1.4K 14
A phoenix is born of ashes. A hero is born of war. Who is born through pain? You. Piltover, the city of dreams. Inventions of unimaginable calibres...
72.3K 1.8K 23
It's been months since The Paladins found the Blue Lion and flew off into space. It's been months since they started fighting against Zarkon and The...