Letters from J

By sweet_nightmare92

Megan Fields is uptight and has no time for boys. She's boring and plain and hates parties. And did I mention... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30

Chapter 16

83.4K 1.2K 415
By sweet_nightmare92

Another update is here guys! ;) Oh, yeah! So accroding to what I have heard from you guys from the last chapter, looks like the house is pretty much divided among our three J's. hahaha! And as usual, I had such a fun time reading all your comments. But of course, some comments really got to me especially the one by: furious99. She PMed me her answer to my little question from the last chapter. And her answer as to who her J is totally had me semi-rolling. lol ;P And so, this chapter is dedicated to her!

ENJOY!

~beth~

~~~~~

"Really?" Abby's eyes widened in excitement. "You got another letter from J?"

I nodded my head, smiling.

"Well? What does it say?"

I handed the paper to Abby who immediately grabbed it. We are at the courtyard having lunch. The letter read,

M,

I would like to start by saying,

"The sun makes the world playful and brighter, but your smile makes it livelier.

The stars brighten the night skies, but your eyes fade out the darkness that cries.

The soft howl of the wind makes the leaves flutter, but it's always your voice that makes my heart quiver."

And it all sums up to one thing. Everything just simply reminds me of you.

~J

Abby squealed and I had to cover her mouth if I don't want the students who were passing by to stop and see what was going on.

"Do you really have to squeal?" I asked as I uncover her mouth. But as soon as my hand left her mouth she squealed again. So I had to cover it again.

"Abby!" She laughed under my hand and I knew she was teasing me. I rolled my eyes and put my hand away. She rolled her eyes back at me.

"I was squealing for you." She said.

"What?"

"I said, I was squealing for you. Because knowing you, even though having read such a romantic letter and feeling like shrieking on the top of your lungs, you probably just tightened your lips and locked a smile."

Wow! Abby really is my best friend. "You're not entirely right, you know."

Abby raised a disbelieving eyebrow. "Oh, really?"

I cleared my throat and avoided her eyes. "Well, I did not exactly squeal. Because there's no way I'm gonna do that in the hallway. But I did smile. A lot."

Abby smiled widely. "So are you saying that you would have squealed if you have read it in your room? Alone?"

I smiled. "Probably."

Abby squealed again and I can't help but laugh. She sure is lively today. "Oh. My. Gosh. You are totally crushing on J. Whoever he is."

I bit my lower lip as I played with the letter in my hand. "I am not crushing on him. But well, do you think he will ever reveal himself to me?"

"Do you want to install a hidden camera to your locker?"

I opened my mouth to answer but she raised her hands to stop me.

"No, wait, don't answer that. Because that would totally spoil everything. I mean, isn't receiving mysterious love letters from a secret admirer totally romantic?" She sighed dramatically.

"Well, I am totally curious as to who he is. But then, I'm also kind of scared of knowing." I sighed. Deep inside, I really am not sure if whether I really want to know who J is or not.

"Don't worry. I'm sure he'll reveal himself to you in no time. Do you have someone in mind as to whom it might be?" She asked. And until now, I haven't really given it much thought.

"Huh?"

"Well, obviously since there are only three J's in the whole school, it could only be James, Josh, or Jess. And I don't want to ask who you think J is. But I'm rather more curious to know who you hope J is."

Now that question caught me off guard. "I...N-No one. I'm not hoping for any one."

Abby scoffed and stood up at the same time the bell rang signaling the end of lunch. "Liar."

And Abby does know me well. Because for a second there after she asked, his name instantly crossed my mind.

~~~~~

"Stop. Staring. At. Me." I groaned.

James laughed. "Why?"

"Because it's making me uncomfortable. Like as if I'm on display." I answered through my teeth. Somehow, this session is more torture than the rest. "Just stare at your book. Stare at Math."

"You want me to stare at Math?" He repeated in an amused voice.

"Yes, I want you to stare at Math."

He laid back on his chair and crossed his arms over his chest. "Isn't the rule something like, look at the speaker while the speaker is speaking? Or something like look at the speaker's eyes when the speaker is speaking? I think I heard that from Speech class. Because that's exactly what I'm doing right now. Looking at your eyes."

James was looking intently at me that I had to look away. "It's listen to the speaker while the speaker is speaking. And you can listen while you stare at your book."

"But I'm a visual learner. I can't really understand something until I look at it."

I rolled my eyes at him.

"Are you really that bothered about that rumor about us?" He asked.

I did not answer.

"Am I really that bad you don't want my name paired with yours?" His tone was teasing but I saw a flicker of hurt cross his eyes. I suddenly feel guilty.

"No, it's not like that. It's just..." I sighed and put down the book I was holding. "I'm just not comfortable when people talk about me."

He frowned a little. Then shook his head.

"What?"

He shrugged. "Nothing. You won't believe me anyway."

Now it's my turn to frown. "What made you say that when you haven't even said it to me?"

"Because I know you and you don't take compliments very well."

"Try me."

He leaned forward and grinned at me. "Do you really want to know what I think of you?"

I nodded.

"I think you're a very wonderful girl. Inside and out. Kind and understanding and sweet."

I stared at him for a while looking for any trace of teasing but there was nothing but honesty playing in his eyes. I was about to say thank you when he quickly added, "Exactly my opposite. But as they say, opposites attract."

I huffed and rolled my eyes at him. "Whatever. Now, back to Math."

He laughed and took his Math book. What's the deal between you and Davis, anyway? And I'm talking about the guy Davis."

His question caught me off guard that it took me a while to respond. "What do you mean?"

"He always acts like he's your knight in shining whatever. That guy seriously pisses me off."

I frowned at him. "Josh is a good friend."

"Friend." He smirked. "I think you better clarify that to him. That he's just a good friend."

"Are you trying to imply something?"

"No. Just that he's too familiar with you. Like it's as if his only mission in life is to guard you or something. Man! I even see him stealing glances at you all the time."

I decided to ignore the last part of what he said. "Oh, please! I have known Josh almost half of my life. Clearly, we are pretty familiar with each other. And what are you trying to say? That you're the only one who can act all familiar with me? Because in all honesty, you're the one who's being too familiar with me. You know, taking me on forced motorbike rides and forced dates and aggravating me all the time?!"

James just stared at me. I expected him to answer back immediately with some defense or some teasing or some witty remark. But he just stared at me. Finally he sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

"Then I'm sorry if my way of showing my affection towards you is different from his." He muttered.

I think I heard him wrong. "Excuse me?"

He smirked and shook his head. "Nothing. I've got work today. Goodbye." James stood, scooped his stuff right into his backpack, and headed straight to the door.

"Hey!" I called after him. "James!" I hurriedly went after him but he was already almost at his bike. And without sparing me another look, he dashed off, leaving me staring at his dust.

~~~~~

I was busy conjugating verbs after dinner at the living room when the doorbell rang. I glanced at the wall clock and saw that it was already almost nine in the evening. I wonder who this could be. The doorbell rang once more so I hurried to open it. And upon opening the door, the night just revealed  it's biggest surprise to me for the day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

115K 2.1K 37
"I hate you," I could taste my own lies. He stepped closer and whispered in my ear, "face it goodie, you can't stay away from me." He was right as...
263K 7.3K 29
|| Highest Rank - #40 in Teen Fiction (4-20-17) || [previously called The Bad Boys Nerd] [previously called Broken Love] {first story, so it's rough}...
85.5K 3.1K 42
Emma Carpenter is a classic example of a nerd. She does her homework, gets straight A's, reads all the time, and never gets in trouble. Then one day...
1.7K 151 24
When Keira joins the Art club she finds out from the leader Shannon that the Art club dislikes the Math club and especially their leader Maverick. Bu...